SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Champions/Hero System your ideal fix of 1st ed plus?

Started by GeekyBugle, August 04, 2020, 03:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeekyBugle

Just what the tin says, what would you add from latter editions, what would you change dramatically, what mechanics from other games would you import?
Quote from: Rhedyn

Here is why this forum tends to be so stupid. Many people here think Joe Biden is "The Left", when he is actually Far Right and every US republican is just an idiot.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

― George Orwell

Steven Mitchell

Do you mean what would you do starting from Champions 1E and go in a different direction?  Or do you mean what would you do from any edition?  I can't say that I remember the differences prior to the 3E/4E jump to say.

RandyB

4e is good enough. 5eR was a good resurrection of HERO after the Cybergames/Fuzion debacle. I see no need to kitbash anything into earlier editions.

GeekyBugle

Quote from: Steven Mitchell;1143284Do you mean what would you do starting from Champions 1E and go in a different direction?  Or do you mean what would you do from any edition?  I can't say that I remember the differences prior to the 3E/4E jump to say.

Yes, take 1st Ed and go in a different direction.

Here is why this forum tends to be so stupid. Many people here think Joe Biden is "The Left", when he is actually Far Right and every US republican is just an idiot.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

― George Orwell

trechriron

I think stealing the conditions from d20 might help codify some things the designers consider "implicit" (stunned, optional bleeding, disabled, impaired... for example). Making them cards and placing them in front of you at the table could help as a reminder.

I feel like END is finicky and hardly comes to impact anyone in actual play. You are keeping track of something that refreshes quickly enough - it's a total wash. Instead, I would use "power points" to represent capability with powers, and use a simple calculation for fatigue (say CON seconds before you make a check or something in combat, con mins for heavy activity, con hours for moderate exertion...). Fatigue would be conditions like 5e D&D (say 5 levels of granularity). With a Heroic setting, I would have that come into play more often so people don't walk out of a combat all sprig like a yoga master. I would also include slower REC rates for PP to emulate less fantastic genres. Then you can include alternate REC methods like ley lines, nexus points, mana zones, mana imbued materials, etc. Obviously, I would ditch END.

I love 6e's approach to ditching derived characteristics. Makes the game LESS fiddly actually. It seems counter-intuitive, but in practice it makes character creation easier.

I would love to see a Fantasy Craft like approach to creating foes and NPCs, where you ditch the char get approach and have a "pick from these menus" to get to the end result. HERO needs some GM tools to make running it easier for the GM.
Trentin C Bergeron (trechriron)
Bard, Creative & RPG Enthusiast

----------------------------------------------------------------------
D.O.N.G. Black-Belt (Thanks tenbones!)

Darrin Kelley

Quote from: GeekyBugle;1143288Yes, take 1st Ed and go in a different direction.

Remove Power Frameworks. As they conflict with the internal logic of the rest of the system.

Aglondir

Quote from: GeekyBugle;1143281Just what the tin says, what would you add from latter editions, what would you change dramatically, what mechanics from other games would you import?

Wow. That's tricky since I haven't played 1E since 83 and don't remember much about it. And editions 3 through 5 sort of blend together in my mind. I like 6E, so these have already been implemented:

Ditch Comeliness
Ditch Elemental Controls
Decouple the figured atts
Add Hero Points (6th has HAPs)

As for dramatic changes?

Roll-over instead of roll-under
Get rid of the Killing Attack scale (use Normal damage scale only)
Ditch END
Make Combat Skill Levels into weapons skills that cost the same as regular skills
Ditch naked skill levels (if 1E had them?)
Switch the att scale so there are no breakpoints with att/5

This is why I play Hero, but I do not GM it.

hedgehobbit

Quote from: Aglondir;1143614Roll-over instead of roll-under
These are the two big changes I'd make as well. I've run the game this way and it was fairly easy to do and worked much better. Attacks were 3d6+OCV >= DCV (which is now permanently 11+old DCV) and having skills be a bonus instead of a roll made difficulty levels trivial to add.

GeekyBugle

Quote from: Aglondir;1143614Wow. That's tricky since I haven't played 1E since 83 and don't remember much about it. And editions 3 through 5 sort of blend together in my mind. I like 6E, so these have already been implemented:

Ditch Comeliness
Ditch Elemental Controls
Decouple the figured atts
Add Hero Points (6th has HAPs)

As for dramatic changes?

Roll-over instead of roll-under
Ditch END
Make Combat Skill Levels into weapons skills that cost the same as regular skills
Ditch naked skill levels (if 1E had them?)
Switch the att scale so there are no breakpoints with att/5

Roll over, yes rolling under is something I don't really like.

How about reducing the number of figured atts?

― George Orwell

Aglondir

Quote from: GeekyBugle;1143621Roll over, yes rolling under is something I don't really like.

How about reducing the number of figured atts?

There are no figured atts in 6E-- one of the reasons why I like it.

Steven Mitchell

Probably not a popular change, but:  Change the calculation for SPD (and/or points, doesn't matter how) so that SPD 3 is the default for normal, and pretty much the base for any character.  

This doesn't substantially change superheroes in any way, but it makes the lower end of the scale much more playable.  The difference between SPD 2, 3, and 4 is too great for the standard range for Fantasy Hero, but SPD 3, 4, 5 in its place works great, giving you some of the same tactical richness that the superhero side already has.  

In my last several years of running Hero, I implemented that house rule simply as every character got +1 SPD, to avoid redoing points for everything.  If built into the base game, you could also leave the stat alone and instead change the Speed Chart to effectively do the same thing.

Armchair Gamer

Quote from: Aglondir;1143614Switch the att scale so there are no breakpoints with att/5

With the removal of Figured Characteristics, the reasons for not reducing Basic Characteristics down to just the 'divided by 5' versions are largely vestigial--initiative, Con-stunning, resistance to Mental and Presence attacks. There are potential solutions to all of these--count BODY on Mental and Presence attacks, use a straight "x5" rule for Con-stunning, break Initiative out into its own characteristic and thus bring Dex down to 1/pt per level.

hedgehobbit

Quote from: Steven Mitchell;1143648Probably not a popular change, but:  Change the calculation for SPD (and/or points, doesn't matter how) so that SPD 3 is the default for normal, and pretty much the base for any character.  

This doesn't substantially change superheroes in any way, but it makes the lower end of the scale much more playable.  The difference between SPD 2, 3, and 4 is too great for the standard range for Fantasy Hero, but SPD 3, 4, 5 in its place works great, giving you some of the same tactical richness that the superhero side already has.
I think that the price of SPD should be based on the total points of the character. A 100 pts character acting one more times a turn is significantly less powerful than with a 250 pt character.

Aglondir

Quote from: Steven Mitchell;1143648Probably not a popular change, but:  Change the calculation for SPD (and/or points, doesn't matter how) so that SPD 3 is the default for normal, and pretty much the base for any character.  

In my last several years of running Hero, I implemented that house rule simply as every character got +1 SPD, to avoid redoing points for everything.  If built into the base game, you could also leave the stat alone and instead change the Speed Chart to effectively do the same thing.
In our 6E heroic games, the natural results are speeds ranging from 3 to 5. Four seems to be the default for most PCs, except for the "fast" characters who buy up speed to 5. Three is for the mooks and brute NPCs.

Is this a 5E problem that 6E solves?

Aglondir

Quote from: hedgehobbit;1143658I think that the price of SPD should be based on the total points of the character. A 100 pts character acting one more times a turn is significantly less powerful than with a 250 pt character.

That's an interesting idea. We have tried limit options, where CVs and SPD are tethered, so if you have high CVs you have a SPD max. And vice versa.