TheRPGSite

Other Games, Development, & Campaigns => Play by Post Games => Topic started by: Arkansan on February 06, 2016, 01:45:06 am

Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on February 06, 2016, 01:45:06 am
After an arduous journey you have reached the outskirts of the settlement known as Grant's Keep. The town is surrounded by a sturdy wooden wall whose gates face south, while the inner keep walls are of packed earth and stone. Smoke from scattered cook fires dot the noon sky, dozens have made camp outside the walls of the settlement.

Though normally quite desolate the old dirt road leading into town is host to a slow trickle of foot traffic. Many others like yourself have made their way north to answer the kings call. Closer in to the gates stands a crier, "One piece gold for the ear of a goblin! Five piece gold for proof of bandits killed! Other rewards offered, see Sir Halter!" he bellows to those entering the town.

A handful of industrious souls have set up carts near the gates peddling whatever pitiful wares they have to offer to the new comers. An orange robed priest stands nearby offering his blessing in return for a small donation. Beyond lie the cramped streets and poor thatched hovels of Grant's keep.

Ahead of you lies the treacherous north, with it's rolling hills, sharp mountains, gloomy forests, and treacherous winters. Perhaps fame and fortune or an early and undignified end await you.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on February 06, 2016, 04:06:29 am
"I think I'll prominently display some arrows, javelins, and spears behind me in my shop as I work on shaping a club just outside the entrance. That'd get some extra eyes on my work as they walk our cramped streets." Gillibrecht throws this comment out to his neighbor with assumed jocularity.

"You may want to tell our neighbors to do the same, now we have all these newcomers in carts trying to make quick coin. We locals gotta show pride in what we got!" Pumps him fist in an attempt to inspire enthusiasm.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on February 06, 2016, 04:39:34 am
Sander glumly surveys his surroundings; his mind's eye had envisioned Grant's Keep as a mighty bastion of civilization, a shining beacon of the glory of Midheim to light the way. The illusion is shattered once he perceives the cold, huddled, desperate souls crowding the fort. He begins to wonder if he can truly make a difference in such a place.

In any event, Sander resolves to seek out this Sir Halter and inquire about work. He lacks even a single coin to spend on amenities, having drained the last of his portion of the wealth of House Freiben to arm himself against the unknown horrors of the north. At least here, he reasons, he can take comfort that none realize the shame covering the name "Freiben" like a heavy cloud...
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: wrymspear on February 06, 2016, 05:55:17 am
Esgalán takes a moment to cast a disapproving eye across all the gathered throng of humanity--do they even realise what an appalling stink they raise?

He approaches the Crier.

"Edain," he addresses the fellow tersely, "Pedig edhellen?" (Man, do you speak Elvish?)

---

OOC: Esgalán has a 5 charisma guys, so he can be relied upon to be a bit of jerk. Particularly when it comes to inter-racial relations ;)
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on February 06, 2016, 07:16:48 am
Sander cannot help but notice the elf and relishes the opportunity to practice his (no doubt quite broken) Elvish with him. He waves to the nearby elf and responds:

"Aiya! Carinyes! Elwe tulier, eh?"

{Hail! I do! We have arrived together, eh?}
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Makofan on February 06, 2016, 09:49:19 pm
Random sees the newcomers. "Hail fellows, it seems like me you seek adventure and reward before we starve to death. The name is Random, Acolyte of the Unicorn. I have armor and a stout heart, and would be willing to share both dangers and treasures with you"
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: wrymspear on February 06, 2016, 10:24:01 pm
Ignoring the crude Man-babble of the Acolyte, Esgalán turns his gaze toward the bald fighting-man, noting the formidable harness of plate armor upon him. He could be handy in a tight spot, the Elf decides, and at least he speaks a civilised tongue--even if he does butcher it with his accent.

(All in Elvish)
"Hail, Man of Plates.  I am called Esgalán, son of Fergalán, and a further line of Warders of the Witchwood Realm.  What father's son are you?"

After Sander replies (and assuming the Crier has not yet spoken), Esgalán continues:

(All in Elvish)
"Pray ask this dolt," indicating the Crier with the slightest inclination of his eyes, "wherein are the nearest hives of goblins or brigands hereabouts, and what force of arms they present."


---

OOC: Does the ref prefer to play all this out, blow by blow? Or to post a bunch of more abstract instructions surmising our town time so we can get to the business end expeditiously?
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on February 06, 2016, 11:44:39 pm
Firstly, Sander will respond to Esgalan in Elvish: "Well met, Esgalan son of Fergalan. I am Sander, son of Praximus, both of the once-great House Freiben. I am here to reclaim my family's honor and seek my fortune among these uncivilized lands. I shall make inquiries on your behalf."

He then turns to Random and bows. "Hail, good sir Acolyte! I am Sander of House Freiben; it seems that we and this elven sir are of the same purpose. He says he is Esgalan of the Warders of the Witchwood Realm; I confess that I am uncertain of what that means...still, tis good to find kindred spirits in this lawless place, eh? Excuse me a moment..."

Sander then asks the town crier for further news of brigandige or goblin incursions in the area as of late, and if Sir Halter might have any information thereof.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on February 07, 2016, 02:07:27 am
The town crier eyes Sander for a moment, "It is as it always is. Brigands ply the roads and trade to Stalf's Refuge has slowed to a crawl. Goblins pillage the outlying homesteads as they please, and rumor has it the barbarian warbands have been seen roaming down from their hillforts. Speak to Sir Halter for specifics."


(OOC: I think for this type of game it may be more expedient if each player posts their intentions in town such as gather information, look for a job, shop etc and I adjudicate it. I think if we go blow by blow on our town incursions we will bog down quite a bit. For this first posting I really just wanted to get the characters introduced to each other)
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on February 07, 2016, 07:24:07 am
Gillibrecht entices customers and sells thrown an/or missile weapons. When he can, he will ingratiate towards big spenders and repeat customers. Today is about putting his best foot forward for his store!
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on February 07, 2016, 09:05:21 am
Sander will make further inquiries about work with Sir Halter, promising to inform his new friends(?) of any particularly lucrative-sounding opportunities.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Werekoala on February 07, 2016, 12:36:34 pm
Bill takes in his surroundings, noting the various open-air vendors, loose packs, and distracted travelers.

"This will do." He thinks to himself, and sets out to find the local watering hole, in search of information and rumors.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Makofan on February 07, 2016, 02:20:37 pm
Randon tags along with Sander. Killing goblins for money sounds like easy work
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Spinachcat on February 07, 2016, 06:33:39 pm
Grunhilda the Triple Breasted enters Grant's Keep with a snarl.  

She walked the long road with ragtag travelers, trying to decide if it was safe to kill a few for their gold. Fortunately, she's more wise than bloodthirsty, so she held back her blades.

Ah, Midheim, a poorly cobbled kingdom considered "ancient" by the humans. Killing rats was easy coin, but the guildmember murders were arousing suspicion. In her youth, Grunhilda had once come to Frosthome as it was then known before the fool humans lost it to worthless goblins and savages. King Alfred's "crusade" was a good excuse to leave Midheim, especially after hearing how numerous northern villages were simply abandoned.

That was until Grunhilda peered upon the packed earth and stone of Grants Keep. Ugh. The fumbling work of ignorant hands. And those merchants? Could these peasants have have spent any less effort on their wares?  What is wrong with these humans? Don't their great grandparents teach them anything?

Oh crap, is that an elf? Just great.

Grunhilda listens to the braying of the Town crier. One gold per goblin ear?
Idiot probably doesn't know that's 2 gold per head. Five gold for a bandit? Hmm...maybe its time to backtrack down the road, slay a straggler, make it look like a fight and claim her "reward"?

But she's broke right now, and she's going to get hungry sooner than later.

First and foremost, she needs some coins. Grunhilda goes looking for someone to pay her coin upfront. Perhaps Sir Halter needs some ratting done? She'd even take sewer cleaning in exchange for beer and bunk.  

Otherwise, tonight she's going down the road to meet a "bandit"...
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on February 07, 2016, 08:37:00 pm
Sander, Esgalán, and Random make their way to Sir Halter to seek further information. Fortuitous chance brings Grunhilda to the large traveling tent Sir Halter holds court in at the same time as the trio. The tent is set up directly center of the town square, the lingering stench of the town and it's rough hovels make for an unpleasant experience.

A pair of men at arms stand guard outside the entry flap. Bored and sullen looking the pair are obviously not locals, one of the mail clad duo nods his head toward the inside knowingly.

A small man in a rough spun red tunic sits rubbing his temples behind a battered oak desk, despite the daylight a small lantern burns beside an outspread map and a stack of paper. His pinched face peers up at the newcomers. After a brief exchange he relates the general situation, the north is largely a wasteland and the town is not set up to support the newcomers. First and foremost is needed a morale victory, something to make folks think the reclamation is worthwhile and to give gossip fodder for those back home.

"There is about a day and a half walk north and a few miles west of the road an old abbey. Once dedicated to Saint Stalf it's been a haven for a goblin band for sometime now. If you could bring something back related to the saint, a holy piss pot for all I care, or better still the head of the hobgoblin that leads them it would be a damned decent start."

"Stalf was the patron saint of and largely the tamer of the north long ago, anything to get his name on the kingdoms lips again would be good for the frame of mind I think. Better still it would get his majesty's council off my ass for a time."

Whilst the others are inquiring of Sir Halter about potential fortune Bill has set out for the local taverns, although there are a couple that seem "reserved" for locals one sticks out as being friendly enough to outsiders. The Wayward Wayfarer rests against the towns outer wall, just to the east of the main gate. A broad stone and timber hall with an out building and stables it seems inviting enough. Inside Bill finds a comfortable spot near the fireplace and after a bit of chatting (Consulted rumor table, passed Charisma check) hears that to the east a good bit lies the Tanglewood and within a elven keep called the Feyhold. Rumor has it that the lord of the Feyhold is hosting a tournament soon, open to all comers with all manner of prizes available.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Werekoala on February 08, 2016, 01:43:22 am
Elves. Tournament. Money...? Surely some prize to be had...

...possibly not watched too closely during the excitement of the tournament.

Still, might be worth letting the others know about it, If I can just find them.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: wrymspear on February 08, 2016, 04:49:32 am
Esgalán only half-listens to the Sir's petty politicking; passing fortunes of the Kingdoms of Men is none of his concern. Goblins, however, are ever the agent of a grander diablerie, and these here might harbor some insight into deeper machinations that needs must defeat...

As soon as Halter mentions the whereabouts of the goblin hold, Esgalán turns briskly and departs.  

He does not deign to notice the Dwarf as he goes.


(A jerk Esgalán may be, but not so foolish to think he can tackle the goblins alone...)


Some way from the tent, he awaits the fighting-men who will surely gather to pursue Halter's mission.  When Sander opines to pass by, Esgalán says grimly to him:

(All in Elvish)
"I will accompany you on the abbey road; my people have a business to conclude with the Goblins... gather what Men are willing, and let us begone immediately!"
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on February 08, 2016, 11:58:02 am
"Spears, arrows, javelins! Bring a sharp stick for security -- it drives your point home!"
:D
Looks up smiling from his club-shaping seeking approval from any eye he meets. Most locals try to look busy lest they encourage him.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on February 08, 2016, 12:16:13 pm
Sander assents with Esgalán and starts making rounds around town to seek for other brave men-at-arms to accompany the growing band (and perhaps keep an eye on that strange-looking dwarf lass...). Perhaps the "sharp stick" salesman may have knowledge of some hearty lads ready for adventure?
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Makofan on February 09, 2016, 09:23:47 am
Random is in awe of the elf, and tags along, just hoping to be included in whatever venture he has initiated
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on February 10, 2016, 01:25:10 pm
Sander, Esgalan, Random, and Grunhilda(I'm assuming she tags along) begin to beat the bushes looking for a few helping hands. The local are mostly dismissive, they see little hope in this "crusade" considering it mostly a fools errand. However they do run across a pair of brothers, Jem and John, not exactly professional soldiers but they have performed militia service before and claim to have seen a skirmish or two. These fellow southerners offer to pitch in for a weekly rate of 40gp or shares of spoils acquired.

Also met is Bill, another southerner come to try his luck against the north. He relates rumors of an elvish tournament soon to take place. (I don't normally care to to push player actions but I'm feeling the need to get the pace picked up, hope I haven't over stepped myself.)
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: wrymspear on February 10, 2016, 06:17:52 pm
Esgalán swears violently under his breath (in Elvish, of course) at the obscene rates demanded by these yokels, and dismisses them from his mind.

Well aware of his own incapacity--for Men are not wont to trust in him--Esgalán casts his critical gaze across those preparing for this foot trek and wonders, with a growing disquietude, whether any among them may be a leader of Men..?

---

OOC: We (players) should consider pooling our remaining gold for the purpose of hiring men-at-arms of the type described in U&WA p23 (e.g., heavy foot at 3-5gp per month). That is, assuming any such men-at-arms are actually available for hire?  Or has the ref just told us that none are available?

In any event, Esgalán has a poor charisma, and a -1 loyalty adjustment, so someone else should do the actual hiring. Who here has the best charisma?
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Spinachcat on February 10, 2016, 09:45:52 pm
Grunhilda follows the two men and the Elf about the Keep, becoming ever more impatient with the useless haggling with babbling fools.  She smells the greed on Jem and John, and she almost offers them a "double share of the spoils", but she is wise enough to know her tone would immediately betray her plan for these two to never make it back alive.

She returns to Sir Halter's tent, spits into her hands to wash her face and brush back her hair. After a moment to compose herself, she barges past any guards and gruffly barks to all in the room:

"Halter Man Knight, your townsfolk will be useless when the goblins come here. You say goblins gather two days hence.  You say goblins took your temple of Stalf the Man Godling. I tell you goblin magic steals power from that temple.  They will not lay siege here. They will slaughter."

Before he can respond, she pounds his desk and says "I need meat and mead. The men need bread, but the Elf can eat flowers. Provision us and we leave at dawn before the goblins come to you."

Grunhilda crosses her arms, curses the goblins with foul Dwarven oaths, and waits for his answer.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on February 10, 2016, 11:42:57 pm
Quote from: wrymspear;878245
Esgalán swears violently under his breath (in Elvish, of course) at the obscene rates demanded by these yokels, and dismisses them from his mind.

Well aware of his own incapacity--for Men are not wont to trust in him--Esgalán casts his critical gaze across those preparing for this foot trek and wonders, with a growing disquietude, whether any among them may be a leader of Men..?

---

OOC: We (players) should consider pooling our remaining gold for the purpose of hiring men-at-arms of the type described in U&WA p23 (e.g., heavy foot at 3-5gp per month). That is, assuming any such men-at-arms are actually available for hire?  Or has the ref just told us that none are available?

In any event, Esgalán has a poor charisma, and a -1 loyalty adjustment, so someone else should do the actual hiring. Who here has the best charisma?


OOC: More could always be found, these two are perhaps the most eager of the bunch. Of course shall we say they are optimistic about their worth, though who knows it may be that they could be haggled with.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on February 11, 2016, 12:15:54 am
Sander considers taking the eager pair along, offering them each a half-share of any spoils gained in exchange for their services. He is intrigued by the elf tournament, but feels that contending with the goblins is a somewhat safer venture than subjecting himself to the whims of the strange and otherworldly elf-people (present company excluded, of course).

(OOC: I do hope my negotiating skills are better, as my charisma is only somewhat better than Esgalán's. If I cannot convince them, Bard or Bill should try, particularly the former with his whopping 15 Cha.)
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: wrymspear on February 11, 2016, 06:55:12 am
OOC:

Esgalán has only 29 gp, which might be enough for a few men-at-arms with supplies--if we can locate them.

On the other hand, our clerical friend might seek to loan funds--or Men--from his Temple, especially if the abbey Mission is in their interest.

Or... any player (esp. with high charisma) might seek resources from Halter--it is his quest after all.  I see that Grunhilda has already taken the initiative :)  

If Halter doesn't respond well to her approach, perhaps Bard of Amber (a respectable cleric with 15 charisma!) should go tell Halter that he'll accept the quest on behalf of his "respectable Temple", but we'll need four stout Men from his garrison; each with mail, torches, and supplies for a week.  Then hope for a good reaction roll :D

If he's still on the fence, we could offer him personally a share in any loot recovered..?
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on February 11, 2016, 07:10:02 am
/carving smiley suns and symbols of Sol upon the club. :)
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on February 11, 2016, 09:43:20 am
The brother mull over Sanders offer for a few moments and step off to confer quietly among themselves. After a couple of minutes they return, Jem offers a handshake "We will take it". The pair were quite aware they were asking a... considerable sum for their services and are all to happy to bargain down to what is better than they actually expected to get.

(Charisma check for Sander, passed just barely with a roll of 8)
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Werekoala on February 11, 2016, 10:34:42 am
Bill strokes his chin thoughtfully. "Goblins, eh? Never much cared for 'em. They do tend to hang on to whatever they find... not many Goblin markets hereabouts. Ok, I'm in."

(OOC: As to resources - I'm broke, however there are ways to acquire some start-up funds.)
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Makofan on February 11, 2016, 11:58:00 am
Random nervously agrees with the hiring. "Half shares sounds fair. Now we need some money. Let's set off now"
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on February 11, 2016, 12:03:09 pm
Quote from: Makofan;878427
Random nervously agrees with the hiring. "Half shares sounds fair. Now we need some money. Let's set off now"


"Then we're all agreed? Excellent! Let us set out as soon as possible. To adventure!" Sander holds his fist aloft at his last exclamation, looking somewhat ridiculous.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: wrymspear on February 11, 2016, 09:26:07 pm
Esgalán stares at Sander in disbelief.

(All in Elvish)
"Don't ever do that again," he rasps. Then sets off.

---

OOC: I'm sure we're not equipped to tackle 40-400 Goblins, but hey. Let's get there :)
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on February 11, 2016, 11:12:09 pm
/whistles while he works. yes, it sounds like the dwarves from Snow White.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on February 13, 2016, 10:53:34 am
Quote from: Spinachcat;878292
Grunhilda follows the two men and the Elf about the Keep, becoming ever more impatient with the useless haggling with babbling fools.  She smells the greed on Jem and John, and she almost offers them a "double share of the spoils", but she is wise enough to know her tone would immediately betray her plan for these two to never make it back alive.

She returns to Sir Halter's tent, spits into her hands to wash her face and brush back her hair. After a moment to compose herself, she barges past any guards and gruffly barks to all in the room:

"Halter Man Knight, your townsfolk will be useless when the goblins come here. You say goblins gather two days hence.  You say goblins took your temple of Stalf the Man Godling. I tell you goblin magic steals power from that temple.  They will not lay siege here. They will slaughter."

Before he can respond, she pounds his desk and says "I need meat and mead. The men need bread, but the Elf can eat flowers. Provision us and we leave at dawn before the goblins come to you."

Grunhilda crosses her arms, curses the goblins with foul Dwarven oaths, and waits for his answer.


(Terribly Sorry I missed this post entirely but for the sake of completion will say that Halter reluctantly agreed to provide 4 days of rations for each member of the party)

Sander, Esgalan, Random, Grunhilda, Bill, and the brother Jem and John make good time for the first day of the journey passing strangely enough not a single soul. The dirt path that passes for a road makes the going easy and the land is only lightly wooded thus far though toward the end of the day getting quite hilly.

It seems Sir Halter wasn't the most accurate in his direction, while this is certainly the correct road it run a bit north and east rather than true north. Either way not particularly a set back and by far the most interesting happening of the day.

The suns light begins to fade from the sky as your first day of travel comes to close.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Werekoala on February 13, 2016, 12:15:23 pm
About an hour before dark, scout around a bit for a good place to camp and start rounding up firewood.

"Mm... iron rations, my favorite..."
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: wrymspear on February 13, 2016, 07:46:14 pm
(Elvish)
"I have good eyes for the night," Esgalán tells anyone who understands Elvish. "Let the Men take the first watch, while the night is yet young. I will take the middnight watch. The Dwarf can take the dawn watch."

Esgalán takes a frugal meal from his supply waybread and a sup of his wine, before huddling down in his grey-green cloak to get some sleep before his watch.

---

OOC: Six days of waybread remaining.  Let morning come!
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Makofan on February 13, 2016, 09:36:38 pm
Quote from: wrymspear;878802
(Elvish)
"I have good eyes for the night," Esgalán tells anyone who understands Elvish. "Let the Men take the first watch, while the night is yet young. I will take the middnight watch. The Dwarf can take the dawn watch."

Esgalán take a frugal meal from his waybread and a sup of his wine, before huddling down in his grey-green cloak to get some sleep before his watch.

---

OOC: Six days of waybread remaining.  Let morning come!

Random follows the elf's plan
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on February 13, 2016, 11:18:09 pm
As does Sander.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on February 14, 2016, 01:13:02 pm
Gillibrecht ends his workday and goes around the neighborhood to chat with fellow town vendors to see how business is doing. Ideally several of us would meet in a tavern or private home where a small cask of mead is tapped. He'll sit and try to listen, but intemperance will get the best of him and try to control any nearby conversation by being a know-it-all. He thinks he's being helpful!

Gillibrecht wants to see what mutual supply needs can be done with local gatherers, but he's also curious how much the new traveling merchants have helped or hurt business.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on February 14, 2016, 08:18:08 pm
The nights watch passes uneventfully, the brother Jem and John spend a good deal of time quite excitedly pondering what they will do with their shares which they are quite sure will cannot be anything less than enormous as they are certain great riches await them all. It seem the brother are optimists in all things.

The dawn breaks cold and grey and distant clouds bring rumor of rain.

Meanwhile back in town Gillibrecht spent his night aleing with his fellow shop keeps. The mood is a sour one, the locals are sure that nothing good can come of this push to reclaim the north. The price of food in town has already risen with the influx of locals and with the fish trade to Stalf's Refuge further north slowed down it isn't likely to get better. There have already been a half dozen brawls between short tempered northmen and impetuous southern adventurers.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: wrymspear on February 15, 2016, 03:46:40 am
Esgalán scans the surrounds for sign of any prominence, bluff, ridge or other natural vantage which might be scaled in hope of sighting the supposed abbey.  If any such is about, he strides off to get a good look around--being cautious to conceal himself from sight as he approaches the summit of course...
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Makofan on February 15, 2016, 12:29:46 pm
Random prepares himself to head out to riches
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on February 15, 2016, 06:01:06 pm
Sander will try to settle the "J" brothers, urging them to exercise caution on the journey. Rash action will only serve to endanger the expedition.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on February 15, 2016, 06:44:18 pm
Gillibrecht talks to the town butchers and fishmongers to see if he can get their support for petitioning Sir Halter. The petition is for securing the path to Stalf's Refuge — and to collect game to provide for the town. Not only does it provide resources, it gets more impetuous Southern adventurers out of the community's hair.

Gillibrecht wants, besides the butchers' good will, access to some of the bones for fletching cheap arrows and studding mauls. Maybe he can get a fishmonger order for quality fish spitting sticks, too.

(He also racks his local knowledge about whose game collecting job this will interfere with. No sense getting on the bad side of a desperate, powerful ranger or the like.)
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Spinachcat on February 15, 2016, 06:44:28 pm
Grunhilda volunteers for her mule to carry the "rations" from Sir Halter. Do humans really eat this crap? Dried sausage? Ha, that pig had fur and a long tail. Oh well, she's too hungry to complain aloud...much.

She tells the group "Four days food for seven travelers, plus enough water belongs on a mule. Save your hands for weapons."
 
On the way out of town, Grunhilda passes Gillibrecht's weapon's stall, sneering with disdain. Fool human calls these clubs? Bah, his twigs would snap upon a goblin's shield!

She trudges the dirt path with her mule, careful to stay in the center of the group so those men in the back and the front catch the arrows first...

At night, Grunhilda takes her watch without comment, particularly focused on the nearby hills. She absentmindedly muses killing Jem in his sleep with a quick axe chop to his throat, just wondering how his brother would fare without him.

[OCC: Does Grunhilda have any dwarf sense about these hills? AKA, does she suspect they are dug with warrens? Any sign about that anything moves below the ground?]
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on February 15, 2016, 06:49:50 pm
{Things can't be all that bad with these newcomers. I mean, a dwarf smiled at me while I was working, obviously admiring my workmanship! This little fort town might become a recognized cosmopolitan place yet.}
:)
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on February 16, 2016, 04:32:13 pm
Quote from: wrymspear;879044
Esgalán scans the surrounds for sign of any prominence, bluff, ridge or other natural vantage which might be scaled in hope of sighting the supposed abbey.  If any such is about, he strides off to get a good look around--being cautious to conceal himself from sight as he approaches the summit of course...


There is one hill a mile or so north of the campsite that is a bit taller than the rest. From the summit he can get a reasonable view of the course ahead. The abbey, as reported by Sir Halter, is just a bit west of the road. A few small plumes of smoke can be seen rising from within it walls and one building can be seen to stand above the others, it appears to be some sort of cathedral though small for that designation. It's hard to make out much detail at this distance. You'd surmise that there is roughly a half days walk ahead. Likely the going will be dangerous from here on out, and you can't help but feel as if there are eyes upon you.

Quote from: mindcontrolsquid;879147
Sander will try to settle the "J" brothers, urging them to exercise caution on the journey. Rash action will only serve to endanger the expedition.


The brothers, take the rebuke well enough but seem a little disappointed.

Quote from: Spinachcat;879166
Grunhilda volunteers for her mule to carry the "rations" from Sir Halter. Do humans really eat this crap? Dried sausage? Ha, that pig had fur and a long tail. Oh well, she's too hungry to complain aloud...much.

She tells the group "Four days food for seven travelers, plus enough water belongs on a mule. Save your hands for weapons."
 
On the way out of town, Grunhilda passes Gillibrecht's weapon's stall, sneering with disdain. Fool human calls these clubs? Bah, his twigs would snap upon a goblin's shield!

She trudges the dirt path with her mule, careful to stay in the center of the group so those men in the back and the front catch the arrows first...

At night, Grunhilda takes her watch without comment, particularly focused on the nearby hills. She absentmindedly muses killing Jem in his sleep with a quick axe chop to his throat, just wondering how his brother would fare without him.

[OCC: Does Grunhilda have any dwarf sense about these hills? AKA, does she suspect they are dug with warrens? Any sign about that anything moves below the ground?]


Grunhilda senses that within these hills there may in fact be tunnels. There is a vague feeling as if shadows could be darting in and out of hidden ways.

Quote from: Opaopajr;879165
Gillibrecht talks to the town butchers and fishmongers to see if he can get their support for petitioning Sir Halter. The petition is for securing the path to Stalf's Refuge — and to collect game to provide for the town. Not only does it provide resources, it gets more impetuous Southern adventurers out of the community's hair.

Gillibrecht wants, besides the butchers' good will, access to some of the bones for fletching cheap arrows and studding mauls. Maybe he can get a fishmonger order for quality fish spitting sticks, too.

(He also racks his local knowledge about whose game collecting job this will interfere with. No sense getting on the bad side of a desperate, powerful ranger or the like.)


Several of the towns butchers and fish mongers do find merit to the idea of petitioning Sir Halter. If he is going to be around he might as well make himself useful they reason. Halter is perturbed by their petition but feels the need to make some platitude, he offers that he has already sent a party to make an incursion against the abbey that is the source of much of the delay along the route to Stalf's Refuge. If the party returns with some progress made he offers to attempt to round a larger expedition to clear the ruins.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Werekoala on February 16, 2016, 08:03:04 pm
Bill casually walks on the flank of the party nearest the densest of the trees/cover (alternating his path as necessary), his bow lightly gripped in one hand making small, random patterns as he walks. His eyes never leave the road, not entirely, as he silently whistles to himself.

(needless to say, keeping a sharp eye out for any possible ambush)
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on February 16, 2016, 08:19:23 pm
Sander takes point, instructing Jem and John to stay close at hand.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Makofan on February 17, 2016, 10:37:16 am
"So, what's the best way to approach this?" asks Random
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Spinachcat on February 17, 2016, 01:47:29 pm
Grunhilda watches the darting shadows with increasing anger. Goblins! Vermin in the dark! Eaters of babes! Trespassers in the hallowed bosom of the earth!  

She snatches up her axes and turns on Random the Cleric with a snarl, "the best approach is not to walk into a goblin trap!"

She lumbers to Esgalán, staying in his shadow. "Elf, I need your eyes. These hills have warrens. Maybe just small burrowers, but maybe large enough for a goblin ambush and maybe even a way into the Man Temple. Will you come with me to find the entrances? We could use the Humans as a distraction."
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on February 17, 2016, 05:07:48 pm
Quote from: Arkansan;879418
Several of the towns butchers and fish mongers do find merit to the idea of petitioning Sir Halter. If he is going to be around he might as well make himself useful they reason. Halter is perturbed by their petition but feels the need to make some platitude, he offers that he has already sent a party to make an incursion against the abbey that is the source of much of the delay along the route to Stalf's Refuge. If the party returns with some progress made he offers to attempt to round a larger expedition to clear the ruins.


Gillibrecht will return to Sir Halter afterwards and ask if he's been seeing able fighters without weapons.

"Hello Sir, may Sol smile upon the empire and our slice of civilization. I was curious, Sir Halter, if you have seen able fighters approach you to work, but have no arms to expand the empire? Perhaps, since I work in woodshaped goods, I can fill a small contract for you of spears and javelins?

That way any able-bodied, and violent, arm can go immediately into work for the empire without loitering about trying to scramble up a means to ends..."

/looking ecstatic to the heavens

"And then in glorious triumph they can thrust forth the ever-piercing rays of Sol's divinity unto the darkness and bring peace to the land! Iä, Iä, His burning justice is with us forever!"

/the moment passes, looks flush and mildly embarrassed

"Thank you for your time. Maybe you visit my shack one day for tea and pickles and to assess my wares — and thus the size of the order you would like? Yes?"
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: wrymspear on February 18, 2016, 04:15:43 am
Esgalán consents to a search of the hills for tunnels or back entrances with a grunt, then sets about it.

He says to Sander:
(In Elvish)
"Keep these fools well out of sight of the abbey; for 'tis held against us.  I will have a look around, and return by noon.  If any Man here hath woodcraft, he should do like wise."

Then he pulls the grey-green hood of his cloak over his head, and sets off briskly to do a wide scan of the area, aiming to be stealthy above all else, and certainly not be seen from the abbey.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on February 18, 2016, 01:08:12 pm
Sander attempts to draw the remaining party members together in a tight formation.

"Do not go too far afield, elf-scout. I'll not be taken unawares by the goblin scourge in these hills, so far from safety. Their numbers could be exceedingly great, and better not to scatter our forces about before they rear their heads."
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on February 19, 2016, 11:49:15 am
Quote from: wrymspear;879768
Esgalán consents to a search of the hills for tunnels or back entrances with a grunt, then sets about it.

He says to Sander:
(In Elvish)
"Keep these fools well out of sight of the abbey; for 'tis held against us.  I will have a look around, and return by noon.  If any Man here hath woodcraft, he should do like wise."

Then he pulls the grey-green hood of his cloak over his head, and sets off briskly to do a wide scan of the area, aiming to be stealthy above all else, and certainly not be seen from the abbey.


It takes you some time to scan the area cautiously, the terrain is rough and there is some vegetation to further slow your progress. After perhaps a couple of hours of searching you notice something. What appears to be a hillock on the other side of the road from the campsite (east) and perhaps three miles distant. However something is off. Some sort of movement perhaps? Suddenly a section of the hillock rolls away, several goblins appear in what is obviously some sort of hidden entryway.

A small band is gathering now there are perhaps six of them? Worse still they are bringing mounts up out of the darkness, savage looking wolves. Within a moment the small party is mounted and riding off, it appears that they are headed toward the campsite. Your party seems to have been made Esgalan however seems to have remained hidden.

The goblins must be stronger than thought in this area to be so bold as to move under the light of day.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on February 19, 2016, 03:22:26 pm
If Sander is aware of what Esgalan has discovered, he will steel himself for battle and prepare the rest of the party to do the same. "Do not allow them to outflank you! Stand your ground!"
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: wrymspear on February 19, 2016, 06:58:36 pm
(Assuming he is too far from the camp for the others to see any of this)
Esgalán marks the cave entry in his mind--planning to return later--then quickly estimates whether he could make it back to warn the others ahead of the wolf riders.
 
If it seems plausible he can forewarn the company, he immediately runs back to do so.  If the wolf riders come within bowshot on this dash, Esgalán takes advantage of his ability to fire on the move to harry them as he goes.

If there seems no hope that he can reach the company in time, he instead plans a route behind, alongside, or to intercept the wolf riders in order to harry them with bow shot. Perhaps he can draw a couple of them off?

---
OOC:

If it comes to exchanging missiles then, because I'm assuming my guy has the same move rate as a mounted giant wolf (12") and can shoot on the move, my elf will aim to maintain approximately a medium range elf-bow shot between himself and the wolf riders.

Also, I don't think I posted this anywhere, but can we presume my guy has memorised a Sleep spell for this adventure?
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Spinachcat on February 21, 2016, 02:11:04 am
Grunhilda, who has been shadowing Esgalan in the search for concealed passages, is disturbed by the news of the goblin riders, but not surprised. As her only missile weapon is her daggers, she opts to keep her hand axes ready instead for close combat.

She is concerned Esgalan's bowshots may draw the goblins upon her and him, she is unsure how they can make any unified attack with the Humans from the camp.

[OCC - I am a bit confused on ranges here. How much space is there between the goblins and the camp and us?]
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Makofan on February 21, 2016, 07:01:00 pm
I am assuming Random does not see the approaching riders?
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Werekoala on February 21, 2016, 10:49:11 pm
Bill does a quick look-around for suitable covering terrain from which to fire his bow.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on February 22, 2016, 12:40:04 am
Quote from: wrymspear;880077
(Assuming he is too far from the camp for the others to see any of this)
Esgalán marks the cave entry in his mind--planning to return later--then quickly estimates whether he could make it back to warn the others ahead of the wolf riders.
 
If it seems plausible he can forewarn the company, he immediately runs back to do so.  If the wolf riders come within bowshot on this dash, Esgalán takes advantage of his ability to fire on the move to harry them as he goes.

If there seems no hope that he can reach the company in time, he instead plans a route behind, alongside, or to intercept the wolf riders in order to harry them with bow shot. Perhaps he can draw a couple of them off?

---
OOC:

If it comes to exchanging missiles then, because I'm assuming my guy has the same move rate as a mounted giant wolf (12") and can shoot on the move, my elf will aim to maintain approximately a medium range elf-bow shot between himself and the wolf riders.

Also, I don't think I posted this anywhere, but can we presume my guy has memorised a Sleep spell for this adventure?


It is three miles to the camp site, making it doubtful that a burdened wolf could move at full speed the whole distance. Likely they will hit a dog trot (pun intended) for the early and mid leg of the ride, so if you moved quite rapidly you could conceivably beat them there by a bit. Though doing this would be quite fatiguing. As to the sleep spell, I just assume sleep is a default spell for 1st level M-U's, ha.

Quote from: Spinachcat;880385
Grunhilda, who has been shadowing Esgalan in the search for concealed passages, is disturbed by the news of the goblin riders, but not surprised. As her only missile weapon is her daggers, she opts to keep her hand axes ready instead for close combat.

She is concerned Esgalan's bowshots may draw the goblins upon her and him, she is unsure how they can make any unified attack with the Humans from the camp.

[OCC - I am a bit confused on ranges here. How much space is there between the goblins and the camp and us?]


There is three miles between the goblin hidey hole and the camp site, you are currently perhaps forty or so feet from the goblins who seem oblivious to your presence. The area is rough terrain with a decent amount of vegetation so it would be easy enough to conceal your presence from an un-alert foe.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on February 22, 2016, 01:45:14 pm
OOC: Distance matters! :D

IC: Arranges tea cups and pickle dish in an aesthetically fetching manner. It's all about the tension between distances... :cool:

"Oh, I do hope he shows one day. I might even get a regular commision!"
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Spinachcat on February 24, 2016, 03:10:38 am
Grunhilda quietly and swiftly hides deep into the vegetation. Many things may be happening today, but her dying ain't one of them. She hopes the Elf will hide with her instead of getting himself killed, but she is not waiting to see what he does. The fey may be immortal, but Dwarfs get one shot at this life.

Once the wolves have passed for some time (when they are beyond halfway to the Man camp), Grunhilda will approach the goblin hidey hold.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on February 25, 2016, 02:08:46 pm
(Sorry for my late reply things have been rather hectic at work lately)

Esgalan sets out at full tilt, still out of sight of the riders he manages to stay hidden while quickly outpacing them. They seem to think they have the jump so to this point they are moving at a moderate pace.

The elf arrives to the camp site with a few minutes to spare. The riders can't be seen yet due to the rough terrain.


Meanwhile Grunhilda has moved in on the goblin tunnel. After the riders left someone replaced the entry way and now it appear for all the world to simply be the side of a grassy hillock. However her dwarvish eye for stone work and earthwork reveals to here that is simply a carved stone plate with an outer facade. It could likely be budged with a pry bar and some effort.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: wrymspear on February 25, 2016, 05:57:51 pm
(Elvish)
"Wolf riders come!" Esgalán reports tersely to Sanders (and whomever else can understand). "Get this rabble into a fighting line, and prepare missiles and spears!"

Esgalán himself prepares to fire on the trot as the wolves come, and to move behind the fighting line.

---

OOC: We must take advantage of a) missile fire, and then b) setting spears against their charge.  Under no circumstance does Esgalan desire to get involved in any melee!  If it starts to go south, Esgalan will use his sleep spell.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on February 25, 2016, 07:18:22 pm
Sander readies his crossbow and repeats Esgalan's orders (in the Common language, of course, for not all are versed in the Elvish tongue). "Right! Random and Bill! Get behind me and ready your missiles! Everyone else ready your shields! I'll help you hold the front line. Don't spread out, don't let them pass charges between us! We'll show these goblins the strength of our arms and our hearts!"
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Werekoala on February 25, 2016, 07:36:40 pm
Ok... Bill tags along and, once a skirmish site has been determined, prepares to lay down some withering bow-fire.

(you ARE seeing my posts, yes?)
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Makofan on February 25, 2016, 09:39:22 pm
Random sets himself with mace and shield and a lot of praying
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on February 27, 2016, 12:50:36 am
"Dill gherkins or cornichons? Whatever shall I do?" :hmm:
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on February 27, 2016, 01:40:09 pm
Quote from: wrymspear;881398
(Elvish)
"Wolf riders come!" Esgalán reports tersely to Sanders (and whomever else can understand). "Get this rabble into a fighting line, and prepare missiles and spears!"

Esgalán himself prepares to fire on the trot as the wolves come, and to move behind the fighting line.

---

OOC: We must take advantage of a) missile fire, and then b) setting spears against their charge.  Under no circumstance does Esgalan desire to get involved in any melee!  If it starts to go south, Esgalan will use his sleep spell.


Quote from: mindcontrolsquid;881413
Sander readies his crossbow and repeats Esgalan's orders (in the Common language, of course, for not all are versed in the Elvish tongue). "Right! Random and Bill! Get behind me and ready your missiles! Everyone else ready your shields! I'll help you hold the front line. Don't spread out, don't let them pass charges between us! We'll show these goblins the strength of our arms and our hearts!"


Quote from: Werekoala;881418
Ok... Bill tags along and, once a skirmish site has been determined, prepares to lay down some withering bow-fire.

(you ARE seeing my posts, yes?)


After a few moments the riders come into view, they are approaching from the east and are at a full charge. They will reach you in two turns, you have the initiative due to Esgalan's warning. Of the brothers John will take his place in the line hand axe and shield ready, Jem has placed himself forward a bit readying his sling to fire leaving his club on his hip for the moment.


(Werekoala the last post I see for you was the 21st. Is there some I have missed?)
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: wrymspear on February 28, 2016, 06:56:44 am
Esgalán takes full advantage of the distance they must cover, sending a hail of arrows to intercept them on their approach.

---

OOC: If they are out of range during our missile segment of the first turn, Esgalán will move 6" nearer, fire once, then move back 6". Otherwise he will stand fast where he is in order to fire twice.

In the second turn, they will presumably be in range during our missile segment, so he will stand fast (behind the line!) in order to fire twice.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Werekoala on February 28, 2016, 09:15:29 am
Bill aims for the lead wolf in the pack, hoping to take it down (or at least cause it to stumble), slowing charge as the other riders maneuver around the fallen(-ing) wolf.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on February 29, 2016, 10:57:50 pm
(If we don't have any more replies by the morning I will go ahead and advance the situation further.)
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on March 01, 2016, 01:59:17 pm
Sander will fire his crossbow at the closest goblin-rider.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Spinachcat on March 01, 2016, 04:33:17 pm
Grunhilda studies the carved stone plate. The goblins don't pry it open. They are weak, stunted and lazy. There must be another method they use without force. She carefully searches the area seeking how the ugly runtlings open the door, keeping one axe in hand at all times.  As she begins her search, Grunhilda oddly gets a sudden and mighty hunger for cornichons.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on March 01, 2016, 11:28:31 pm
The riders are barreling down on you, at this distance they are roughly 240 yards away. Esgalan is the only one able to act effectively, he moves 60 yards up putting him just within range of his foes and fires.

There are six goblin riders and they have packed into a mass, spears couched and in a charge. He fires at the mass of goblin and wolf flesh (14) and scores a hit (3 against HP 2)! One of the riders is felled, an arrow piercing his neck sends him down mewling in pain.

Esgalan returns to the line after his shot.

The turn ends and the riders are now 120 yards distant.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Werekoala on March 02, 2016, 08:30:35 am
Move into effective range and fire (again, at the lead wolf to bring it down, hopefully blunting the charge a bit).
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on March 02, 2016, 08:42:02 am
Sander will hold position and make another attempt to fire at the closest goblin.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Makofan on March 02, 2016, 09:33:05 am
Random stands his ground and prepares for impact, mace and shield at the ready
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on March 02, 2016, 03:28:47 pm
The second combat turn begins. The riders are at roughly 120 yards, well within range of all remaining missile weapons. The party will act first due to the intiative given by Esgalan's warning and the distance of the riders.

At this point no one has to leave the line to be in range so I'm going to assume you don't.

Bill fires at the foremost wolf of the pack (11) he scores a direct hit (5 against HP 5)! The wolf lets out a yelp and goes down lifeless. The rider is thrown clear and takes quite a tumble (1 against HP 5) but gets up not much worse for the wear. Two of the other riders have to swerve to avoid the falling wolf and the impetus of their charge is broken however the others press forward mostly undaunted.

Sander fires his crossbow at one of the riders still pressing forward. At 120 yards are less this is a medium range shot reducing the goblins AC from 6 to 7. He scores a hit on the rider (13) the arrow takes him hard in the chest driving him from his mount (6 against HP 4) he is dead before he hits the ground.

Jem takes his turn now, firing a stone from his sling at one of the riders that have hesitated in their charge. But his stone misses the mark badly (4).

As it stands; Two of the Six goblin riders have been killed as well as one of the Six Wolf mounts. They have been badly harried by the missile fire (morale checks for the remaining goblins). The one thrown from his mount flees his heart no longer in the fight. One of the remaining riders turns his mount and flees as well. The other two riders carry on undaunted as does the riderless wolf.

This leaves two mounted goblins pressing onward, followed by two riderless wolves driven forward purely by hunting instinct and bloodlust.

The turn ends. The remaining foes are still out of effective melee range.


The next turn begins. The remaining riders and wolves have closed the distance at a charge. Their momentum at this point will give them the initiative this turn which begins at melee range.

(I assume at this point that the party is in battle line)

The riderless wolves smash into the line first.

One of them takes a snarling leap at Jem (15) and his teeth find a home in soft manflesh (1 against HP 4) however the wound is shallow.

Another of the riderless beasts sets his eye on John however he narrowly misses as wriggles out of the way. (misses with 11)

The riders now make their impact on the line. One of them sets his spear toward the elf, their is no love lost between their kind. His aim is true and the spear finds its home (19) the tip bites deep (3 HP of damage).

The last rider makes for Random, his spear as well finds its target (19 for 4 HP).

The two wolves being ridden are too distracted by their riders commands to effectively attack.

The turn now passes to the party.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Makofan on March 02, 2016, 04:03:00 pm
Random swears "By the unicorn. That hurts". He attempts to nail the bastard that hit him
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on March 02, 2016, 04:28:09 pm
Sander drops his crossbow and draws his sword, attacking the wolf that bit Jem. "Taste steel, vile scourge!"
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: wrymspear on March 02, 2016, 06:25:01 pm
OOC: Esgalan did not fire in the second turn?
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on March 03, 2016, 02:11:44 am
Quote from: wrymspear;882900
OOC: Esgalan did not fire in the second turn?


You know it absolutely slipped me. I made that post as I was getting ready for work and in a bit of a hurry.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Werekoala on March 03, 2016, 08:21:55 am
Quote from: Arkansan;882980
You know it absolutely slipped me. I made that post as I was getting ready for work and in a bit of a hurry.


I will fire in round two if possible, then switch to daggers for close-in work.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on March 07, 2016, 12:23:11 am
The party acts now.

Random makes a go at the wolf that attacked him, vengeance seems to be the order of the day. He swings his mace at the rider (2) but misses by a wide margin!

Sander takes a swipe of his blade at the wolf that bit Jem (8) but he misses as well.

Esgalan fires his bow at a rider but he misses as well (6)

Bill also fires his weapon aiming (I assume) at a rider. (3) However he too misses his target!

This round has been most unkind to the party, as they seem unable to mount an effective counter.

The goblins and their canine allies now act.

The wolf that attacked Jem last round presses forward, smelling blood from his previous success. (7) However Jem is a bit too willy for him and he snaps at thin air.

Our other riderless foewolf makes another pass at John (8) but is as unsuccessful as possible.

The goblin rider that attacked Random last round sees his success against Random and howls in excitement. He couches his spear and sets forward, (19) the tip of the weapon buries itself deep within Random (4). Random is gravely wounded but lives, his chance to survive the next wound is cut in half and he will require serious medical attention! (11% which survives his Con check, a 2d6 roll of 5 which indicates a fairly serious wound reducing his chance to survive further punishment all as given in the house rules).

Esgalans attacker thrusts out from his mount with his spear (16) and his weapon finds a home (4)! Due to his peculiar hardiness the elf is obviously not stricken down by the blow (no percentile needed) but he is wounded deeply (7) and his odds of surviving another blow are not as sure and he too could stand some time with a doctor. (50% chance to survive next blow).

The wolves being used as mounts do not attack.

Our heroes are bloodied and momentum seems to be turning against them. It is their turn to act.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Spinachcat on March 07, 2016, 03:28:21 am
Grunhilda, too far to even hear the brutal battle, continues searching for a mechanism that triggers open the goblin lair. Failing that, its time to find something to use as a crowbar.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: wrymspear on March 07, 2016, 05:46:24 am
OOC:

I am a bit confused... is this an accurate summary so far?

Turn 1: Esgalan moved and fired his bow once.

Turn 2: Esgalan did nothing while the wolves charged home--missing the opportunity for short range missile fire?

Turn 3: Esgalan (referred to as "the elf") is hit by a goblin spear for 4 hp as the goblins charge in--then fires his bow while already meleed?--and then is hit again in melee for another 4 hp?

And now we are posting orders for turn 4?
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Makofan on March 07, 2016, 09:10:00 am
I assume Random is down and bleeding and can not act?
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on March 07, 2016, 09:16:46 am
Quote from: wrymspear;883784
OOC:

I am a bit confused... is this an accurate summary so far?

Turn 1: Esgalan moved and fired his bow once.

Turn 2: Esgalan did nothing while the wolves charged home--missing the opportunity for short range missile fire?

Turn 3: Esgalan (referred to as "the elf") is hit by a goblin spear for 4 hp as the goblins charge in--then fires his bow while already meleed?--and then is hit again in melee for another 4 hp?

And now we are posting orders for turn 4?


Yeah I goofed on turn 2. Turn 3 marked the first opportunity for the goblins to attack and given they were at a charge I had them act first. You were hit in the first charge. Given that they charged I assumed it was understood that the goblins wouldn't be right on top of you during your action for the turn, thus I reasoned that likely you would attempt to take advantage of the short range bonus and fire again. Your shot missed, the goblins acted opting to charge again and you were hit again on the second charge being hit for 4 hp.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Werekoala on March 07, 2016, 11:02:55 pm
Bill will move into melee with his dagger to assist Esgalan.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: wrymspear on March 08, 2016, 03:45:54 am
Cursing this ill twist of fate in Elvish, Esgalán--mortally wounded--decides he will take at least one of them with him to the far shores, and whisks the elvish long-knife and hand axe from their sheathes; intent on acquainting these goblins with their honed edges.

OOC:

This has not gone at all to plan.  
I thought there was a good chance we would drive them off with two turns of missile fire; not to be.
I intended that Esgalán (AC9) would stay well clear of any melee; also not to be.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on March 09, 2016, 08:30:30 pm
Sander continues his attack on the wolf, hoping that his blade will strike true!
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on March 10, 2016, 04:43:06 am
"... and the pickles? ... and the pickles?" Clutching his hair, a pained look seizes across his face.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on March 12, 2016, 08:01:20 pm
Quote from: Makofan;883796
I assume Random is down and bleeding and can not act?


He is seriously wounded, but is upright and may act.

Seeing as it is the player turn I will go ahead and resolve for Bill, Sander and Egalan.

Bill closes in on the Rider attacking Esgalan. He makes his move (17) and scores a clean hit, digging deep into the goblin flesh (5) and sending him sprawling from his mount, breathing his last.

Esgalan (I assume attack whatever is nearest which at this point is the now riderless wolf) brings whats left of his strength to bear against his canine foe. Fortune is in favor of the party as elvish steel pierces mangy hide (18), a well of blood is drawn forth and the beast yelps (4).

Sander continues his assault on the wolf he has chosen as his target however his fails to find a home for his weapon (6).
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Makofan on March 13, 2016, 10:10:12 pm
Random keeps fighting, attacking whatever is closest
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on March 14, 2016, 06:37:31 pm
"Thrice-cursed lupine! Back to the cold abyss from which you spawned!"

Sander thrusts his blade at the wolf yet again, steeling himself against further assault.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on March 19, 2016, 10:37:28 am
OOC: Gillibrecht moves very slowly so as to keep narrative pace with the rest of the PCs fighting for their lives miles away... :D
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: wrymspear on March 19, 2016, 11:20:16 pm
OOC:---

Waiting for a resolution to this combat... Shall we live or die?
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on March 22, 2016, 10:45:56 pm
OOC; ok sorry for the delay folks. I've been pretty ill the last little bit, as has the wife. Resolution to this turn coming in by tomorrow morning.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on March 24, 2016, 10:26:53 pm
OOC: Get better!
/bites into a pickle
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on March 28, 2016, 08:18:12 pm
OOC; Ok sorry for the long delay folks, it's been quite a mess around my place for a while now, but we should be back on track from here on out.

To make things a bit more brief, after resolving all possible attacks for the party Random is the only one to score a hit with a roll of 20 and damage of 5. He fells another one of the riderless wolves.

Passing to the Goblins turn they make another morale test, this time failing miserably. The remaining rider as well as the remaining wolves flee the field, they have been badly bloodied in the melee and have no taste or a fight.

Two of the party are seriously wounded, though not quite on deaths door their injuries are serious. Each day of transport in this state will require a roll to survive against their Con barring some sort of stabilizing treatment.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Makofan on March 29, 2016, 09:25:36 am
Random is at negative 3 hit points. What are his options?
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on March 29, 2016, 04:11:09 pm
Random is not down and out but rather seriously wounded. He may move and continue as normal but each day without medical treatment requires a check against Con as per his current percentage chance to survive.

Random's odds of surviving any journey are bad, with a Con of 6 and already having suffered a blow that reduced his chance to survive the next by half he will have a 15% chance of surviving each day of travel. However I typically consider lawful clerics to have some basic knowledge of medicine so I would be ok with allowing Random to stabilize himself well enough to put his survival chance back to it's baseline 30% level.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Spinachcat on March 29, 2016, 09:57:26 pm
Awesome!

The fleeing wolves are heading back...to where Grunhilda is still working on prying open that goblin door...

This can't go badly.

Any chance the party's archers nock off a few shots at the fleeing wolves?
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Makofan on March 30, 2016, 09:59:15 am
Random will drag himself slowly to town and hope to make it. He will welcome any company
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on March 30, 2016, 09:03:12 pm
"I could really use an errand boy to fetch me water and thin branches good for arrows... Oh, and an urn for pickling cabbage for winter."
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on April 02, 2016, 07:12:25 pm
Waiting on the rest to chime in and we will get moving. However if we go another day or two without responses maybe we can work out another way to keep this going.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on April 02, 2016, 09:06:56 pm
OOC: It is hard to maintain momentum, isn't it? Very different medium than face to face.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on April 04, 2016, 09:46:47 am
Sander raises his hand in triumph and goes to check on his comrades to see if he can lend any help binding their wounds.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on April 05, 2016, 12:30:59 pm
OOC: I figure we have enough people active to get this moving again.

Grunhilda is still attempting to pry open the door to the goblin tunnel. Her keen sense for stone work finally alerts her to a peculiarly shaped formation of rocks nearby to the entrance. Upon inspection it appears as if lifting one of the stones might activate some sort of release mechanism opening the hidden entrance.

The fleeing Goblin/Wolf party is moving recklessly, they are in a wild flight to safety. Grunhilda is alerted to their presence at a good distance due to their haste, she has perhaps a few moments to attempt to conceal herself or set an ambush. She could hide behind another of the small hillocks about, or some brush.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Spinachcat on April 05, 2016, 05:00:03 pm
Grunhilda curses wildly under her bad breath. Damn wolves arrive just as she finds the mechanism! The wolves will smell her when they arrive and sound the alert, or hunt her down.

She seriously considers just opening the secret door and exploring alone. She would have surprise, and the wolves would be locked out...but who knows what lurks in the hillside.

Hmm...

Grunhilda suddenly turns and rushes to back the small hillocks and hide in the brush, axes ready to cut down any wolves who rush her. If the goblins let the wolves into their tunnel, she will wait a moment for their secret door to close, then run back to camp. She may not have much speed, but her strong endurance will allow her to run without stopping.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on April 05, 2016, 09:00:09 pm
Quote from: Spinachcat;889594
Grunhilda curses wildly under her bad breath. Damn wolves arrive just as she finds the mechanism! The wolves will smell her when they arrive and sound the alert, or hunt her down.

She seriously considers just opening the secret door and exploring alone. She would have surprise, and the wolves would be locked out...but who knows what lurks in the hillside.

Hmm...

Grunhilda suddenly turns and rushes to back the small hillocks and hide in the brush, axes ready to cut down any wolves who rush her. If the goblins let the wolves into their tunnel, she will wait a moment for their secret door to close, then run back to camp. She may not have much speed, but her strong endurance will allow her to run without stopping.



The fleeing mob scarce seem interested in their surroundings. As they near the entrance the surviving goblin dismounts and hurriedly lifts a single stone that has a bar attached to it. Once raised about a foot he gives it a turn to left then drops it, the mechanism sliding back into place with a hiss again looking like nothing more than a simple rock cast upon the dirt. Grunhilda easily notes that this seems a bit complicated for the handy work of goblins.

As the entrance opens the survivors rush inward and a second later the entrance closes again.

Grunhilda rushes back to the camp site, not the quickest but her steady pace puts her there in good time.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on April 08, 2016, 12:45:30 pm
OOC: Well guys it looks like this game has well and truly wound down. I got sick for a rather good period of time and I think it just completely broke the pace of the game, which is hard enough to maintain on a play by post game.

If you guys express enough interest I'd certainly be willing to keep this game going, but if not I have another idea I'm toying around with for a PbP game.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Spinachcat on April 08, 2016, 03:29:56 pm
OOC: I'm game to keep going! Combat is a problem for PbP. Perhaps we need to settle multiple rounds in a single action? AKA, one post for 3 rounds of combat?  Maybe have players define "I keep attacking until under half HP, then retreat" or "As the cleric, I cast Cure Wounds on anyone who takes a nasty blow and until then, I mace away."
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on April 08, 2016, 04:10:39 pm
OOC: I saw a good recommendation at Unseen Servant? that to keep pace have players state their ideal goal and break point alternate for conflicts, especially combat. So players would say, "I fight the goblins to the death wherever we meet & fight," or "ambush & fight until our first casualty, then we flee with our wounded and regroup."

Yes, it is heretical swine talk bordering on conflict stakes & resolution, I'll go stand in the corner now...
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on April 08, 2016, 09:18:21 pm
Quote from: Spinachcat;890345
OOC: I'm game to keep going! Combat is a problem for PbP. Perhaps we need to settle multiple rounds in a single action? AKA, one post for 3 rounds of combat?  Maybe have players define "I keep attacking until under half HP, then retreat" or "As the cleric, I cast Cure Wounds on anyone who takes a nasty blow and until then, I mace away."


Quote from: Opaopajr;890349
OOC: I saw a good recommendation at Unseen Servant? that to keep pace have players state their ideal goal and break point alternate for conflicts, especially combat. So players would say, "I fight the goblins to the death wherever we meet & fight," or "ambush & fight until our first casualty, then we flee with our wounded and regroup."

Yes, it is heretical swine talk bordering on conflict stakes & resolution, I'll go stand in the corner now...


If you two are game to continue then I'm in. I think speeding combat is a good idea. I like Opa's suggestion. If everyone is ok then from now on out for combat I will have the players declare their goals for the combat with a back up or alternate to be taken given certain conditions.

As to moving forward from here I will simply "play" for the others until we are back in town.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: mindcontrolsquid on April 09, 2016, 03:33:27 am
OOC: No worries, I've been pretty sidetracked myself lately. I'm still down to continue.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on April 09, 2016, 08:21:07 am
Gillibrecht shall take a break from wood shaping and go visit his neighbors, unannounced, with a smattering of gherkins and cornichons. He wants to get their opinion on his pickles, as well as their thoughts about the fort's current excitement.

OOC: yes, he's Pepsi Challenging his neighbors with pickles and collecting local opinions on the influx of strangers.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Werekoala on April 09, 2016, 12:09:17 pm
OOC: Sorry, I was dealing with Real Life (tm) for the last couple of weeks but ready to resume when you are.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on April 10, 2016, 12:24:52 am
Quote from: mindcontrolsquid;890431
OOC: No worries, I've been pretty sidetracked myself lately. I'm still down to continue.


Quote from: Werekoala;890478
OOC: Sorry, I was dealing with Real Life (tm) for the last couple of weeks but ready to resume when you are.



I understand, things can get a bit hairy sometimes. Well looks like we are in a good place to continue.

Looks like it's time for the party to figure out how best to go about licking it's wounds and regrouping after the goblin attack.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Werekoala on April 10, 2016, 07:41:28 pm
OCC: Personally, I don't have anything that would help with healing, so I'll defer to those more skilled in that Art. Otherwise, I'll resume over-watch with my bow while the rest of the party regroups, and see where we go from here.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on April 11, 2016, 04:41:16 am
OOC: Huzzah! I might meet the brave adventurers again at the barber shop, as I assist him in healing bloodletting! Oh do hurry back, I have so much to talk to you about in your weeks of natural healing! :cheerleader:
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on April 11, 2016, 09:38:58 pm
So to get this ball rolling again we are going to gloss the journey back to town. Fortunately the journey is uneventful. Both wounded warriors are stabilized as best as can be with the parties meager resources. This places Esgalan back at his base chance to survive the journey, which due to his exceptional fortitude his survival is assured.

Sadly Random is not so fortunate. With his weak constitution he succumbs to his wounds on the journey, the damage simply to great to be coped with. (Con check against base 30%, roll 67%).
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 am
Ooh, ooh, ooh! Can I help in the burial ceremony! I want to give a sermon that he was a martyr to the Sol-given task of civilizing this wilderness, and we'll be holding a second collection to build him a wooden statue in his likeness in memoriam.

Think of all the rough, mercenary adventurers who can now seek blessed immortality through martyrdom and statuary!
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Spinachcat on April 13, 2016, 01:36:57 am
Before we leave the battlefield, Grunhilda hacks off the goblin heads  along with the wolf heads. "We need them to claim the rewards in gold."

[OCC: any loot on the goblins?]

She also volunteers to carry Random's body as she is uninjured, and a dwarf with great stamina. His corpse will not slow her down notably.

Of course, she does this so she can quietly loot the body unseen.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on April 14, 2016, 06:16:50 pm
The goblins carry nothing worth taking. Even their weapons are of a crude ramshackle nature.

The party is back within the town now. The locals glance askew at the corpse of Random, some of them grumbling about the foolishness of this crusade. The town watch informs the party that something must be done with the corpse within 24 hours.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Spinachcat on April 15, 2016, 02:05:04 am
Grunhilda shrugs off Random's corpse to the ground and turns to Bill the Bowman and Sander the Stout. "I know not of your human death ways. Was not Random an acolyte of some shrine? Perhaps his fellow worshipers may pay for his corpse so they can burn his soul in their god's forge."

She points to Gully and his stand. "Perhaps that one who smells of pickles can help you?"

Grunhilda cracks her back, blows out her nose and lifts up the bloody bag of rotting goblin and wolf heads. She turns to Esgalan with a greedy grin,  "Elf, come with me to speak to the chief of this village ruin. We have heads to trade for gold."
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on April 19, 2016, 11:45:47 am
"Oh no!" Gully sets down his arrow shaft work aside the steaming cauldron for wood warping and rushes to the party and their obviously dead comrade.

"Oh no, no, no, no! This wasn't supposed to happen so soon!" Kneels and cradles the corpse of Random like a prodigal son. "The martyrs were to come in a few weeks, after when I finished the new placard and statuary niche in the chapel!"

"I need to talk with the head of the chapel for body preparation."
OOC: will check corpse for any informing marks, letters, religious icons, heraldry, petty cash on person for burial and memorial costs, and immediately have the party help transport the body to the town's chapel.

"Meanwhile, you who most recently knew him best in life, what do you know of him? Full name, any next of kin, last requests, heroic deeds... memorable words of wisdom?" The evangelizing spirit is building up again in Gully, like a sneeze.

"Those who give themselves to Sol's edicts for civilization are eternally rewarded in the Community's memory, both here and triumphant. Iä, rejoice! He shall suckle the viscuous eggs of the Ziz in glory among the blesséd and bathe in the spirited nectar of juniper juice! Iä!"

Shuddering awkwardly in ecstasy as the moment passes, he quiets a bit and listens to the party's reply...
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: hengest on May 11, 2016, 09:36:31 pm
A somewhat disheveled man in robes approaches the scene and says "I didn't know the dead man.  But I, uh, I would like to kill goblins and wolves.  If.  If you need someone to take his place.  Not in death, I mean, but in your activities."   He pauses.  "My name is Clam."  He looks at the corpse, then back up.  "Like the animal."
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Spinachcat on May 23, 2016, 03:38:10 am
I WANT TO PLAY MORE!!! :(

Let's get this campaign back in action!!
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on May 23, 2016, 11:23:28 am
OOC: At this point the ball is in the DM's court... :(
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Arkansan on May 24, 2016, 02:55:04 am
OOC: My bad gentlemen, I'd gotten confused and was waiting on someone to respond to hengest before I moved the action forward. Seeing as he'd arrived to quite a scene what with a dead party remember and all I assumed it would be a natural point for him to get introduced to anyone still wishing to play. By all means if you are still interested in playing pop a post in to get us all sort of on the same moment I'll get this moving on the double. Rather embarrassing on my part.
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on May 26, 2016, 06:32:07 am
"This poor random soul, has he been forsaken in death even memory of his name?!" Looks up to the sky and speaks volubly for performance effect.

OOC: OK, if we're all just gonna stand around here ignoring my PC's basic questions and directions to go to the chapel head for burial preparation, we might as well perform a "Who's on First?" Abbot and Costello act...
Title: (IC OD&D) Against the North.
Post by: Opaopajr on May 31, 2016, 11:18:19 pm
I try to bury the corpse in my underwear while singing incoherent religious hymns. I invoke my CHA 6.