TheRPGSite

Other Games, Development, & Campaigns => Play by Post Games => Topic started by: Abyssal Maw on March 05, 2009, 10:06:38 am

Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 05, 2009, 10:06:38 am
Some background:

Your characters start in the remote village of Perreluna, on the outskirts of the Hekat Valley.

Perreluna is known for it's production of herbal medicines, rare teas, and natural dyes. Weavers and Rug-makers also ply their trade here, and every month or so when the mountain trails are clear of snow, a caravan of wagons appears in town and there is a fair.

Not far from Perreluna, on the far side of the stream that runs through the valley, there is a legendary tower that only seems to appear on the nights of the full moon. Few of the townsfolk have approached the tower, and most people feel that it is cursed.

Last year, a large group of foreigners- adventurers calling themselves the League of the Emerald Lotus-- appeared along with the caravan and began asking around about the invisible tower. Then, one morning, they mounted up and rode towards it.

The day after the Emerald Lotus left, there was a great explosion in the valley. The sky darkened, and there was a strange rain of hissing tar-like oil.

Soon afterwards the undead attacks began; orcs and bandits from the worst regions of the Hekat were drawn to the area. Trade caravans have been fewer and less often.

Now a region of unnatural necrotic blight extends for about a mile radius all along the eastern end of the valley. The area is crawling with undead, and various monstrosities that are both unnatural and obscene. The tower itself is no longer invisible; it lies in shattered rubble at the center of the blight.

Mountain shepherds claim the blight is growing.. extending itself. Nobody knows why, and many people would leave Perreluna if it were safe to do so, or the ruin could be investigated to find out what went on there.

Perreluna won't last another winter without your help...
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: CavScout on March 05, 2009, 02:19:23 pm
The outskirts of Perreluna were finally coming into view. It had been a hard three weeks of walking and riding. It had been twice as many weeks since before the visions of the undead rampaging through some unknown village had begun to fill his dreams.

Before the dreams began, he’d been studying under the weapons master and priest of his father’s keep. Strakir’s father’s plans had been to groom his son for the life of a noble, so as to replace him when his time was done, but Stralor had strayed from the carefully laid plans of his father.

While Stralor had excelled under the tutelage of his father’s weapon masters he had really found purpose with the teaching of the priests of Pelor. It was under their tutelage that he recognized that his destiny was to be more than a warrior and lord, but as a force for good in the land.

It was the visions, in his dreams, of undead creatures in some unknown village that prompted him on this dusty road leading into Perreluna. For weeks, the dreams made no sense. There was not name for the village, no name for the menacing creatures. Just a feeling that somewhere people needed help.  

Four weeks ago, rumors, mostly dismissed as tall tales, had filtered in, with the trade convoys, to his father’s keep about a village near Hekat Valley that was experiencing strange and evil things. When the whispers included the tale of undead ravaging the area, Straki knew had to be the place in his dreams.

There was little time to lose, if one waited to long the village would be unreachable, the passes clogged with snow. With little words to his father, other than this was the will of Pelor and something he had to do, he set out with the next trade caravan.

Over the next several weeks he would ride with caravans on the trails, offering his sword arm for protection and when no caravan was heading in the direction he need he would walk. He was days behind his last caravan and now but with a handful of hours from Perreluna proper.

With one last adjustment of his equipment, he set off to face the source of his visions and to fulfill Pelor's will.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 05, 2009, 04:09:23 pm
"We're all going to die and worst of all, I have to do it with the lot of you!", Shroom whines incessantly as he hitches a poorly kept peddler's rack onto his back, "If there is a bright side to this, perhaps they'll find me unfitting to eat...oh wait." He then scowls.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 06, 2009, 08:36:53 am
===============================
OOC:

We have 4! Stralor, Shroom, Fargrim and Ridcully. I have room for up to 2 more, and we will sub in more players if anyone drops out! PLease don't feel like this game is full up. I'll find a spot for you.

===============================

The four of you find yourselves in Perreluna, either having traveled here (like Stralor) or being natives to the village or valley.

So a couple of things:  

The town leader (nominally a chieftain of the local weavers clan) is Malafarn Magippy. He is advised by a trio of elderly women who head up the Dyers, the Gatherers, and the Rug-Artisan Clans.

Malafarn has made it generally known that he is interested in hiring adventurers, and to inquire at the Town Hall. There are posted notices.

There are two taverns: The Grinning Crone and the Poppy Teahouse. The Crone is more like a tavern where ale and lamb is served (although it's getting expensive as food becomes scarce), the Poppy is in a well-decorated cottage and does not serve alcohol (although it does serve teas, coffee, and dainty baked treats). Rooms are available at the Grinning Crone.


There is a temple dedicated to Arloon, the sleeping princess, goddess of dreams, beauty and peace.

There is a shrine dedicated to Momus the Jester. A favorite of fey, rogues, and travelers.

There is a blacksmith where armor and weaponry is forged.

There is a curio-shop called 'Dented Cauldron Antiquities' that may be willing to buy certain treasure or art objects, and also sells jewelery and some low-level (1st-4th) magic items, as well as potions of healing.  

You may discover other locations.


Ridcully with his passive streetwise skill hears a rumor
about lamb being scarce because of orcs raiding the local flock (and a shepherd being murdered).

You can each roll for streetwise if you like or inquire at any of the above locations. DC is 15.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 06, 2009, 08:58:18 am
OOC:

Please feel free to introduce and describe your character (as Stralor and Shroom have done already). It is best if you are all together, because it will make my DMing life easier.. but if one guy wants to go off on his own for some investigation or whatever that is fine.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 06, 2009, 02:55:18 pm
Looking around with interest, Ridcully absentmindedly patted down his armor and gear, taking inventory of the weapons and tools secreted about his tiny frame.

"Hey! What are you doing in that wagon? Blasted urchins, get out of there!", a burly caraven guard cried. Looking around for the offending child, Ridcully realised the guard might be talking about him. As the guard lumbered after, the small man bolted around the corner of a cottage nearby, calling, "Thanks for the ride." Chuckling to himself, Ridcully watched from under a porch across the street as the guards slowly returned to the recently arrived caravan, shaking their heads.
"Time to get to know the place", the halfling whispered to himself with a smile, and headed for a nearby building with a hideously grinning, horribly ugly woman on a sign over the door.

After a couple of hours and 6 gold coins, Ridcully had pursued the discussion (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1968519/, Streetwise = 8 + 19 = 27 vs. DC of 15) between three sheperds he had overheard talking about the shortage of lamb, and now was heading towards the building his new friends had told him was the town hall, where the tavern keeper had told him the town's leader was looking for help. His coin bag was even lighter and the merchants of the caravan were not yet settled enough after their journey to be suitable donors to his cause.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 06, 2009, 03:20:06 pm
The passive streetwise check was actually all Ridcully needed to learn about the orc attacks on shepherds in the area. With your active check (27) you find out a little more:

A shepherd tells you that the orc attacks happened in an area to the east of the blight zone along the valley's edge- where it's still safe to graze sheep, supposedly. The orcs were described as wearing red-painted helmets and carrying copper-headed spears and curved swords. They killed a shepherd and his dog and made off with the flock.

Some of the Shepherds are willing to hire adventurers to guard them while they graze their sheep, unfortunately, they can't offer more than 1 gp per day.

When you arrive at the Grinning Crone Ridcully also overhears a conversation between the bartender and a woodsman about an ancient lantern that used to hang over the town gates -- it has recently been stolen. The lantern was rumored to have magical properties, and the villages troubles are believed by some to be related to the missing lantern.  

==================================================

QUEST: Recover the Missing Lantern (worth 200xp)
QUEST: Recover the Lost Sheep (worth 100xp)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 06, 2009, 04:00:41 pm
Fargrim trudged along wearily, but with a steady pace now that the village of Perreluna was within sight.  Even though he had been here many times before, he never really could get used to the first whiff of odor that the production activities of the village gave off.  It made his stomach cringe and burned his nostrils.  Also, every time he saw the wood buildings he wondered to himself how they could live out in the open, so throughly exposed, and in such inferior construction.  Such thoughts usually popped into his head when he approached Perreluna, but were just as usually dispersed when he thought of the fine food and ale, for human fair, that The Grinning Crone served.

He unconsciously picked up his step and pace as he thought of the food, and the smell of cooking fires cut through the slag smell and hit his nose.  Some people turned their heads at seeing a lone dwarf walking down the main street, but quickly turned back to their business at hand since the dwarves of Copperpot Hold were frequent visitors and traders here.  Fargrim made a beeline for The Grinning Crone, and heaping bowl of coney stew and a mug of Luna Ale, which was the premier local brew.

Fargrim was on friendly terms with the innkeeper and staff of The Grinning Crone and was welcomed warmly by the staff and locals inside.  After dusting himself off and greeting everyone, Fargrim sat down at a table and relaxed with his coney stew, fresh bread, and pitcher of Luna Ale.  After the fine and relaxing meal, Fargrim light up a chertwood cigar with the innkeeper and talked about the latest news of the village and its environs.  

(OOC- Fargrim's Streetwise check = 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1968559/))
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: CavScout on March 06, 2009, 05:28:54 pm
Taking the last few strides to bring him into town proper, Stralor spied several wagons from a recently arrived caravan and cursed his luck at missing the chance of riding these last few days instead of walking.

His armor, clothing and gear was caked with a dirt and grime from the last few days on the trail and he wanted nothing more than find a real bed and bath. For a few moments he missed the relatively comfortable quarters back at his father’s keep but never wavered from the commitment for his quest.

Walking past the caravan, a commotion to the side caught his attention. A burly guard was after a child who was a bit to curious it seemed. As the child ran for the cover of a nearby home, it occurred to Stralor that it might actually be a Halfling instead and not a nosy human child.

After asking a short portly fellow he encountered where he could find a room, he made his way down the street towards The Grinning Crone. Entering the tavern, Stralor took a quick look around, taking stock of any patrons inside, and looked for someone who worked the place to inquire about room and board.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 07, 2009, 04:43:34 am
Shroom could only roll his eyes at all the merrymaking his companions (if he has any otherwise he'll do so anyway like a crazy person) were doing for he preferred more quiet activities like leering, eavesdropping, scaring old ladies with his ghastly appearance, and most of all performing errands for no reason other than experience.

He creeps about town after his fellows (again regardless of whether or not he has them), hands waving stupidly, breathing forth his trademark nagging, "My soles are red and blisterly from all of this trailing after the unappreciative lot of you, but nevermind that, though I doubt you would even care but do we have work? I would very much like...I mean...*ahem* PREFER something of either much or too little excitement and absolutely NO braining of my person."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 07, 2009, 08:55:00 am
At last your group more or less ends up in the same area- the common room of the Grinning Crone. After a while, a few of the other villagers clear out, and now you are mostly the only ones left.

The Bartender explains the goings on of town, and tells about a growing movement to organize a caravan of villagers who want to move out of the valley, hopefully to re-settle on the far side of the mountain.. one smaller group already tried to leave, but got caught by undead, and then chased back to town by orcs, abandoning their wagon. They were led by Gurstim Craw, a local brewmaster.

The bartender then entertains you all with the tale of the stolen lantern, as well as the legend of how it used to protect the village, and how all of the town's troubles might be connected to it's loss.

There's some mention of the price of lamb going up due to the orc attacks as well.

Room and board: 1 electrum crescent per night. (Hekat mints a local electrum coin worth 5 silver pieces)

===================
OOC: You have a number of options to choose from. You can uncover more if you wander around, or decide to do anything else.

Investigate the Blight
Investigate the Invisible Tower ruins
Investigate the missing wagon (Gurstim Craw's group)
Investigate the League of the Emerald Lotus
QUEST: Recover the Missing Lantern (worth 200xp)
QUEST: Recover the Lost Sheep (worth 100xp)

Fargrim also has a special quest, which is to return the wandering dwarven skeletons of the Copperpot Clan to their graves. (worth 160XP)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 07, 2009, 12:16:48 pm
"Let's go find the lantern so to brighten our day - aha, I told a joke!" Shroom looks around the empty room but grumbles as no one is there to laugh.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 07, 2009, 12:47:01 pm
After finding the town hall locked up and seemingly empty for the day, Ridcully returns to the Crone and hoists himself up on a chair at an empty table in the corner, sips at an ale, and looks bored.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 07, 2009, 01:36:46 pm
Fargrim looks around the common room of the Grinning Crone and sees quite an odd assortment of non-locals.

These must be adventurers drawn to the area, Fargrim thinks to himself, hmm... we have a human noble or rich merchant's son, but the looks of his gear and clothing.  We have an eladrin wizards by the looks of him, although he is strangely odd and... off.  Finally, there's a halfling.  Maybe a scout?

Fargrim stands up and speaks up after clearing his throat loudly, "my fellow patrons, it is clear to me that you are not local residents of Perreluna.  I mean no offense, but it's clear to anyone with eyes.  Perhaps you are here to investigate the evil that plagues the Hekat valley?  I am here to put an end to this spreading evil.  It threatens my home, Copperpot Hold, and my people.  Recently, the evil has spread to the graves of my ancestors and now their spirits are in torment as roaming undead.  I must put the bodies of my ancestors to rest again and bring peace to their spirits.  However, this will only relief a symptom of the evil that plagues the valley now.  The cause and source of this evil plague must be discovered and eliminated.  I, Fargrim Copperpot, will seek this source and attempt to destroy it permanently.  Would any of you join my cause?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 07, 2009, 09:10:41 pm
Looking less bored, slightly thoughtful even, Ridcully says, "Ridcully's the name, my friend. I've never seen an undead before, so I'll go with ya. I seek torst* and alagh* myself. Can I buy ya an ale kuldar*?"

=============================================================

* OOC: Dwarven words taken from http://www.delving.com/addword.html and http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-627099.html
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 08, 2009, 12:43:08 am
Fargrim sits there silently with a look of surprise on his face, but only for a split second.  Fargrim stands up and gestures for Ridcully to sit down with him at his table.

"Your pronunciation is good!"  Fargrim says with a grin, "please, sit down and join me.  It's a pleasure to meet a zander (http://www.delving.com/addword.html) who is so respectful of culture."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 08, 2009, 05:08:27 am
Shoom snaps out of his latest bout of madness with eyes bulging from thier sockets as Fargrim finally speaks directly to him.

He then returns the words with cacophanic gutterings and a half-mad stare, "I barely know you and on our first meeting, you expect me to go out on a graveyard date. Surely, I will be stewing in some necromancer's cellar before long. Nevertheless, you're forward with your words, friend, and thus I will help you... whether or not that directness however is a virtue has yet to be determined. Tell me, either of you, do you think we will run into any giant frogs?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 08, 2009, 10:40:52 am
Ridcully hops down off his chair and scoops up his huge (to him) mug of ale and hurries over to join the dwarf. Glancing at the tall, skinny, pointy-eared fellow that talks funny he says, "I hope so, never seen a giant frog either. Are all elves as strange as you? I hope so, that would be funny. Do all elves bulge their eyes like that? What's your name? If your eye falls out can I have it?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: CavScout on March 08, 2009, 01:10:40 pm
Stralor, seeing the dwarf's proclamation, says, "Good dwarf, the unnatural occurrences of this place bring me here as well. If you intend to investigate this evil, I would gladly add my sword arm to to yours."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 08, 2009, 02:44:08 pm
"Oh! How terrible, no giant frogs! And unfortunate it is that no other elf or eladrin is like I, Shroom." The eladrin bows his head and contorts his face to something resembling a toothy yellow smile before quickly frowning again, "And my eyes are bulging, you say? Alas once again for I had tethered them back into place only minutes ago... and in the case they fall out, I suppose that you wanting to keep them would be a bright spot in that dreary event for I would have more pressing afflictions to deal with."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 08, 2009, 03:02:01 pm
Fargrim gestures for both the cryptic eldarin and the young human to join him and Ridcully at their table.  After speaking to the innkeeper briefly about refreshing everyone's snacks and drinks, Fargrim addresses the newly found adventuring group.  

"Well, I'm not sure about finding giant frogs," Fargrim says with a sly grin, "however, your aid in ending this necrotic blight upon the peoples and lands that depend on the Hekat valley would be surely appreciated."

Turning to the young man, Fargrim says, "I see the trappings of the god Pelor upon your person, are you involved with the Church of Pelor?"  

"I am Fargrim of Copperpot Hold and this is Ridcully,"  Fargrim says as he motions towards Ridcully by pointing his ale mug.

"What are your names and from whence do you hail?"  Fargrim says in a conversational tone.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 08, 2009, 05:10:55 pm
The eladrin croaks, "I am Shroom and... I am woefully and perpetually lost."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 08, 2009, 05:16:56 pm
"I never get lost." Ridcully says. Turning his attention to the human, he says, "You follow Pelor? Where's he going? What does he look like? If you have to stop and pee, does he wait for you, or do you have to run to catch up?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 09, 2009, 09:13:11 am
After some introductions and discussion, your group decides (via poll (http://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?t=13623)) to do some quick general research on the stolen lantern, and also head out to the area of the blight zone closest to the old dwarven burial grounds.

OOC: Researching the Stolen Lantern is actually a 6/3 Skill Challenge, with appropriate XP. Suggested skills include history (to know something about either the town or the lantern itself), diplomacy and/or streetwise (to gather clues), athletics (to climb the gate where the lantern used to hang), and possibly others. If you wish to do some research, for any of the above skills, post what you are attempting to use your skill for, and your roll results. Follow on skill-use opportunities may present themselves from there. If you have an idea about using another skill, feel free to use that.

OOC: I'll leave any polls like this open a full weekend or at least 24 hours during the week. My goal is so we don't have the game "never leave the tavern".. or get bogged down.

Let me know if you want to skip the skill challenge for now and go straight to the dwarven burial grounds.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: CavScout on March 09, 2009, 09:47:01 am
Greetings dwarf, my name is Stralor, I’ve come from the west to investigate the darkness that is endangering this town. You’ve got a good eye, I am a follower of Pelor and it is his guidance that has brought me here. Well met to you, as well as to you Ridcully and Shroom.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 09, 2009, 11:45:14 am
Quote from: Abyssal Maw;287895
After some introductions and discussion, your group decides (via poll (http://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?t=13623)) to do some quick general research on the stolen lantern, and also head out to the area of the blight zone closest to the old dwarven burial grounds.


/Willywonkaon

Strike that, reverse it.

/willywonkaoff

Hehehe... just trying to keep it in perspective- dwarven perspective that is!  Obviously, Fargrim is all about taking care of the dwarven walking dead first before some silly lantern.

In-character, Fargrim will lobby, quite passionately and forcefully, to take care of the undead first.  However, if all the other characters decide they want to take of the lantern first, then Fargrim will grudgeling agree after exactly an oath to aid him with the undead immediately upon exhausting the lantern clues.

Out-of-character, I'm cool with doing whatever.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 09, 2009, 12:55:02 pm
Skill Challenge-Researching the Stolen Lantern (1d20+11=31) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1972035/)

Shroom is overtaken by his queer fascination with the stolen lantern as he recites in near-gibberish strange occurences that recently happened surrounding the torch. He then sees that he is troubling Fargrim and stops before long.

"Oh, if you insist, friend, that the matter about your ancestors is more pressing", the eladrin clucks, "then we will deal with that first."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 09, 2009, 01:27:46 pm
Quote from: DeadUematsu;287926
Skill Challenge-Researching the Stolen Lantern (1d20+11=31) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1972035/)

Shroom is overtaken by his queer fascination with the stolen lantern as he recites in near-gibberish strange occurences that recently happened surrounding the torch. He then sees that he is troubling Fargrim and stops before long.

"Oh, if you insist, friend, that the matter about your ancestors is more pressing", the eladrin clucks, "then we will deal with that first."


OOC: Of course, you can do stuff in any order you like

Shroom tries to recall some history about the lantern and Perreluna itself.. and suddenly remembers a tale about the lantern being a gift from a famous hag called Glunewild. According to an old legend, Glunewild the Witch had (once upon a time) come to live in the valley, and occasionally had reason to deal with powerful fiendish visitors.  After an incident during which one of her "guests" raided the town, the hag was captured and sentenced to death by a powerful order of clerics. Glunewild begged for mercy, and placed the lantern on the gates of Perreluna to mark it off limits to outsiders.

OOC: one success...
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 10, 2009, 12:01:11 am
Fargrim finishes his mug of ale and places the mug on the table as he stands up and says, "well, we might as well check out any leads that we have here in the village regarding the lantern before we leave to deal with the undead.  I'll go to the village gates and see if there's any concrete evidence that a lantern actually hung there.  Maybe there's a commemorative plate, or a maker's mark, or something.  Hopefully, there'll be a special hook or pole for this lantern.  I'll be back soon, and meet you here."

(OOC- Fargrim goes and climbs the gate to verify the existance of the lantern.  Athletics check = 23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1972931/).)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 10, 2009, 12:12:01 am
Looking thoughtful, Ridcully starts asking around to his new friends from town still hanging about in the tavern to see what the lantern looks like, what it's made of, how much it might be worth on the open market (strictly looking for a possible motive someone might have had to steal it... honest).

Streetwise roll for challenge. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1972953/)

Combined with Streetwise of 8 = 20 total.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 10, 2009, 07:01:08 am
Skill Challenge-Researching the Stolen Lantern; Using Arcana to determine how a lantern would ward off outsiders and how possibly someone could displace it (I figure it's probably an inside job but let's roll it out). (1d20+11=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1973228/)

Shroom is delighted and, using his near-encyclopedia knowledge of arcane matters, elaborates on the lantern's supposed magics and workings. He also speaks about how such a ward (if it existed) could be foiled (imagined or not).
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 10, 2009, 08:32:24 am
Quote from: Drohem;288049
Fargrim finishes his mug of ale and places the mug on the table as he stands up and says, "well, we might as well check out any leads that we have here in the village regarding the lantern before we leave to deal with the undead.  I'll go to the village gates and see if there's any concrete evidence that a lantern actually hung there.  Maybe there's a commemorative plate, or a maker's mark, or something.  Hopefully, there'll be a special hook or pole for this lantern.  I'll be back soon, and meet you here."

(OOC- Fargrim goes and climbs the gate to verify the existance of the lantern.  Athletics check = 23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1972931/).)

Ok, so Fargrim climbs the gate and checks out the area where the lantern was attached to the iron gate above. (Also successfully)...

He finds an old but amazingly well made copper-colored padlock (open) that must have been used to attach the lantern to an iron ring set in the keystone. The padlock is embossed with a dwarven rune ("K") and is open.  It appears to have been tossed onto a ledge that remains hidden from view by anyone standing on the ground. Something rattles inside when he picks it up. He climbs back down, taking the lock with him.


OOC: Two Successes.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 10, 2009, 08:46:38 am
Quote from: Sigmund;288050
Looking thoughtful, Ridcully starts asking around to his new friends from town still hanging about in the tavern to see what the lantern looks like, what it's made of, how much it might be worth on the open market (strictly looking for a possible motive someone might have had to steal it... honest).

Streetwise roll for challenge. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1972953/)

Combined with Streetwise of 8 = 20 total.


Ridcully starts doing this, and takes about an hour asking around about the lantern. He gets a good description- although many people took it for granted- it hung down from the gates for nearly two centuries. The lantern was shaped like moon shaped cage, made of something like wrought iron-- it was sturdy and metal, and a bit rusty. It held a source of continual light. Nobody knows how much it might have been worth, until you run across someone who also tells you the story of how it had been a gift from a witch who once lived in the valley. In which case the value of the lantern would be "..priceless, since we'll probably all be killed by demons without the lanterns protection..."

That person may have been overreacting, though.

During his investigation, Ridcully also hears that a goblin was seen skulking around the town heap (sort of a trash dump), and that there have been other thefts as well.

OOC: Three successes.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 10, 2009, 08:55:05 am
Quote from: DeadUematsu;288078
Skill Challenge-Researching the Stolen Lantern (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1973228/); Using Arcana to determine how a lantern would ward off outsiders and how possibly someone could displace it (I figure it's probably an inside job but let's roll it out). (1d20+11=25)

Shroom is delighted and, using his near-encyclopedia knowledge of arcane matters, elaborates on the lantern's supposed magics and workings. He also speaks about how such a ward (if it existed) could be foiled (imagined or not).

Shroom knows that the rules of magic are ancient and bound by protocols too complicated to unravel with just casual study..  but the most likely workings of the lamp involved the configuration of the cage that held the continual light inside. When the light shone through the cage it would cast a reversed shadow of sigils and glyphs or possibly some kind of symbol or ward on the ground in front of the gate.. and possibly right into the Shadowfell.  Fell creatures would respect such a glyph.

OOC: So far that is 4 successes.

OOC: This is a level 1, complexity 2 skill challenge (ie 6/3), worth 200XP. We'll do a divvy of XP when you finish it. Note that follow-on details of the results of each skill check provide more info!
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 10, 2009, 12:44:19 pm
Fargrim returned to the Grinning Crone with the copper-colored padlock.  He finds a place to sit at a table, and shows the padlock to his new companions.

"I found this padlock at the gate on a obscured ledge.  There was an iron ring where a lantern could hang.  It's dwarven craftsmanship, as you can plainly see.  It has the Maker's Mark "K" stamped on it.  Also, there's something loose on the inside," Fargrim says candidly.

Over several nice warm mugs of Luna Ale Fargrim examines the padlock, turning it over in his hands and looking at it.  He traces the Marker's Mark absent-mindedly with his calloused fingers as he searches his memories for any knowledge on a dwarven locksmith with the that Marker's Mark, or stories about a dwarven locksmith making a lock specifically for the village of Perreluna.

After reflecting and searching his memories for a few moments, he holds it up to the light and tries to look through the keyhole to determine what exactly is the object that is rattling around inside.  Fargrim gets up and retrieves a long thin piece of tinder from next to the fireplace, and tries using it as a tool to either remove the item in the padlock or maneuver it so that he can see and identify the object.

========================================

OOC- Fargrim tries to remember anything about the locksmith (History check = 15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1973518/)).
OOC- Fargrim tries to remove item from inside the lock (Thievery check = 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1973519/)).
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 10, 2009, 01:44:15 pm
Quote from: Drohem;288135
Fargrim returned to the Grinning Crone with the copper-colored padlock.  He finds a place to sit at a table, and shows the padlock to his new companions.

"I found this padlock at the gate on a obscured ledge.  There was an iron ring where a lantern could hang.  It's dwarven craftsmanship, as you can plainly see.  It has the Maker's Mark "K" stamped on it.  Also, there's something loose on the inside," Fargrim says candidly.

Over several nice warm mugs of Luna Ale Fargrim examines the padlock, turning it over in his hands and looking at it.  He traces the Marker's Mark absent-mindedly with his calloused fingers as he searches his memories for any knowledge on a dwarven locksmith with the that Marker's Mark, or stories about a dwarven locksmith making a lock specifically for the village of Perreluna.

After reflecting and searching his memories for a few moments, he holds it up to the light and tries to look through the keyhole to determine what exactly is the object that is rattling around inside.  Fargrim gets up and retrieves a long thin piece of tinder from next to the fireplace, and tries using it as a tool to either remove the item in the padlock or maneuver it so that he can see and identify the object.

========================================

OOC- Fargrim tries to remember anything about the locksmith (History check = 15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1973518/)).
OOC- Fargrim tries to remove item from inside the lock (Thievery check = 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1973519/)).


The history check provides Fargrim nothing, other than the fact that the lock is of obvious dwarven manufacture. It is also constructed of... copper. And Copperpot Hold specializes in such items. This padlock itself is pretty old though. At least a century old.

The thievery check Fargrim makes is just enough to ferret out part of a broken lockpick rattling around in there. It falls out onto the tavern table in two pieces. The lockpick is made out of a blackened shard of notched bone, scriven with tiny spidery runes... You can make them out as goblinoid, although it only spells part of a word.  

OOC: That is the final two successes! The Skill challenge was worth 200 Xp, so you each get 50XP.

OOC: Please edit your character sheets and provide the languages you speak! The list of languages is the standard one out of the PHB.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 10, 2009, 02:00:04 pm
With a look of absolute disgust on his face, Fargrim exclaims, "goblin filth!"

Fargrim looks pensive for a moment and then says, "didn't someone mention a rumor about a sulking goblin around the village?"

=================================
Quote from: Abyssal Maw;288153
OOC: That is the final two successes! The Skill challenge was worth 200 Xp, so you each get 50XP.


It's on the sheet! :)

Quote from: Abyssal Maw;288153
OOC: Please edit your character sheets and provide the languages you speak! The list of languages is the standard one out of the PHB.


Fargrim speaks Common and Dwarven.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: CavScout on March 10, 2009, 03:09:45 pm
"Dwarven locks, goblin tools.... what does it mean?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 10, 2009, 03:57:53 pm
Are you ready to head out towards the dwarven burial ground or follow up on something else?
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 10, 2009, 04:44:35 pm
Quote from: CavScout;288180
"Dwarven locks, goblin tools.... what does it mean?"


Fargrim looks thoughtful for a moment and says, "well, I think that it was either a goblin, or goblins, that stole the lantern; or that someone or something wants us to believe that it was stolen by goblins.  I propose that we deal with the immediate dwarven undead threat first, and then return to follow up on the goblin leads in connection with the lantern."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: CavScout on March 10, 2009, 05:53:11 pm
"I am ready to deal with these undead as are you. But are our companions ready as well?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 11, 2009, 12:03:56 am
Shroom frowns as the activity surrounding the lantern slows, stating "I'm ready to depart."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 11, 2009, 01:30:44 am
Ambling over from talking with an off-duty caravan guard, Ridcully says, "Hey, neat lock. The lockpick is pretty, but it's broken so it won't work so well anymore. Are we leaving yet? I'm ready."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 11, 2009, 01:28:51 pm
Ok, moving on...

The four of you, Stralor, Shroom, Ridcully, and Fargrim head out of west via the front gate by late afternoon. You can't help but look up at the gate as you pass beneath it and see the empty ring where the old lantern used to hang.

The road splits and goes a number of different directions, but Fargrim guides you west on a recently-blazed trail that runs parallel to the blight zone, without entering it. Within an hour or so, you are close enough to at least see the edge of the blight-- blackened earth, dead vegetation, and the occasional withered tree, stripped of leaves stretches as far as you can see, as if a gigantic shadow had been cast across the valley. You also notice pools of a black oily substance, perhaps tar, that seem to reflect the light and dot the blight zone in various areas.  Nothing seems to move out on the blight area but you get the sense that something is out there, just out of sight.

The trail leads away from the blight for a while- a safer route, that heads back towards the edge of the mountain and eventually to the mountain tunnel that leads to Copperpot Hold. Fargrim switches back towards the old trail, now, and leads you back towards the northern edge of the blight. Within another  hour, the trail has curved back to cut across the blight, where an old tea-tree orchard once stood.

Now just the withered husks of trees, and the occasional blasted chunk of stone remains, dotting the earth. This was the old battleground where (as the legends goes) 12 dwarves held off a force of nearly a hundred orcish raiders for a day while a strategic gate was repaired. They were all buried just beyond the grove...behind a crumbling section of stone wall.

You guys enter the blight zone at last.

The earth is soft and damp here, but strangely stained black and streaked with gray. The four of you cross the orchard towards the area of the burial ground, when Ridcully points out a group of 5 hunched figures-- dwarven skeletons.. all of them still with the dried  and mudcaked remnant of a beard.

 Two of them are clad in their coppery chainmail armor, now ragged and falling to shreds. They are armed with warhammers and the battered shields they carried in life. The other three skeletons are literally falling apart.. but their armor seems to have disintegrated entirely. They have managed to pull their shields along with them. One of the unarmored ones carries a rusted crossbow.

The skeletons seem preternaturally aware, and turn towards you as you get closer.

There are several dead trees, a fallen log, and the crumbling fragment of a wall on the battlefield, as well as a crumbling section of low wall.

OCC: Roll for initiative!
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 11, 2009, 01:59:16 pm
"Father of Battle!  Guide my axe to put to rest the remains of these heroes!"  Fargrim exclaims upon seeing the dwarven skeletons.

==============================

(OOC- Fargrim's Initiative check = 13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1975093/))
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 11, 2009, 03:16:05 pm
Fargrim, you are sure that these 5 constitute almost half of the reanimated "Defenders of Copperpot Hold"... defeating and reburying them will put their spirits to rest, and honor their families. Allowing them to exist in their undead state is an insult not only to them, but to the pride of Copperpot Hold itself! (and all dwarves)

Rotting Dwarven Skeletons Initiative:
1d20 +3=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1975182/)

(OOC- Fargrim's Initiative check = 13)

Dwarven Skeleton Warriors Initiative: 1d20+6=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1975177/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: CavScout on March 11, 2009, 06:19:57 pm
"By the gods..."

1d20=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1975495/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 11, 2009, 08:48:04 pm
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1975666/

20+4=24 initiative

Ridcully quickly sizes up the situation and whips a dagger from his arm sheath and flings it at the crossbow bearing skeleton,

OOC: Depending on range he will just draw and fling (using the Piercing Strike power) or move up while drawing and fling. His preference would be to just throw and remain safely behind the dwarf :)

PS: Sorry for mangling my name in the roller.... my wireless keyboard apparently needs batteries.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 11, 2009, 10:23:06 pm
This is kinda the part I've been waiting to test out.

Ok, so the initiative order so far is

What I need you to do is almost exactly how Sigmund/Ridcully posted:
Quote from: Sigmund
"OOC: Depending on range he will just draw and fling (using the Piercing Strike power) or move up while drawing and fling. His preference would be to just throw and remain safely behind the dwarf "

So an example character might do something like...

"Dirze the rogue uses his sling and peppers the skeletons with a series of disheartening strikes.  If one of the skeletons gets too close, he drops the sling, draws his short sword and uses a tortuous strike. If he can flank with the dwarf, he will!

And then somewhere list the attack rolls like so:

Disheartening Strikes: 1d20+6=15, 1d20+6=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1975815/)
Damage: 1d6+3=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1975821/) (if the 15 hit..).

I'm not going to be especially secretive with the monster ACs and hit point totals just so you can tell what is going on.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 11, 2009, 10:59:47 pm
Fargrim yells the Copperpot Clan battle cry and charges into the midst of rotting dwarven skeleton swinging his double-axe in efficient and powerful strokes.

==================================

(OOC- Fargrim's charge  basic attack hit AC 23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1975886/) and did 12 points of damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1975897/))
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: CavScout on March 12, 2009, 03:09:37 am
Stralor draws his sword and readies his shield and follows the dwarf into battle.

OCC: I'll watch for any skellies that try to flank him and move to intercept them if possible.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 12, 2009, 09:25:24 am
Quote from: CavScout;288666
Stralor draws his sword and readies his shield and follows the dwarf into battle.

OCC: I'll watch for any skellies that try to flank him and move to intercept them if possible.


You can post attack rolls (and say what your attacks are) if you like!
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: CavScout on March 12, 2009, 09:38:40 am
Quote from: Abyssal Maw;288696
You can post attack rolls (and say what your attacks are) if you like!


OCC: Ok, here goes from memory since I didn't lug my char sheet to work.

Attack: 1d20+6 → [12,6] = (18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976482/)  
Damage (if needed): 1d8+3 → [6,3] = (9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976486/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 12, 2009, 10:21:28 am
(OOC: I'm going to go ahead and roll for Ridcully...Stralor, next time post some attack rolls!  I'll roll for you making a basic attack, this time.. This is our first combat so we are all learning how to do this via post, myself included)

Ridcully squints his eye and then fishes in his belt pouch for a sling bullet. He loads his sling, and then whirls around and lets loose; the whirring bullet nailing one of the armored skeletons hard enough to knock it's helmet off. He fishes in his belt pouch for a second bullet as the skeleton reaches down and puts it's helmet back on, unsteadily.

The dwarf skeletons surge forward- the two armored ones move with preternatural (and un-dwarf-like) speed, crossing the orchard. The rotting skeletons each produce a rusted crossbow and take up positions behind the low wall, firing at Fargrim and Stralor.

A crossbow bolt nicks Stralor and crumbles to dust afterwards (Stralor takes 3 damage).

Fargrim bellows and charges forward, clashing with the injured skeleton in the middle of the grove.. his axe crashes down on the skeleton with a splintering crack of dry bones, and leaves the bony abomination wobbling... but not destroyed.

The two warhammer-wielding skeletons both attack Fargrim as a team, and one of them lands a glancing blow against Fargrim's midsection.

Stralor follows Fargrim into battle a moment behind Fargrim's courageous charge.. and manages to make a sideways hack at the injured skelton. He keeps them from flanking the dwarf in any case.

Shroom has not yet acted! We will assume he is deciding what to do until he gives me some direction...

Ridcully launches another sling bullet at the injured skeleton...but it bounces off the battered shield it still carries.

The three rotting skeletons behind the wall pop up and fire another volley of crossbow bolts, exactly as they did when they held this pass against the orcs. This time, one of them hit's Fargrim for another 3 damage.


... please let me know your tactics for continuing this battle!


====================OOC Section!====================

Ridcully rolls a natural 20...! 1d20+8=28 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976473/)

Since he is first in initiative, Ridcully also gets to maximize his sneak attack damage. And he has backstabber as a feat so that's 26. (16+6+4)

One skeleton (the one Ridcully hit) is "bloodied" with 18 hp left. the other is still at 45.

The three rotting skeletons move behind the crumbling wall, and fire crossbow bolts  at Stralor (twice) and Fargrim (once).

1d20+6=10, 1d20+6=22, 1d20+6=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976493/). One of the bolts hits Stralor for 3 damage.

The armored skeletons both close with Fargrim (AC: 17) and attack with their warhammers: 1d20+10=14, 1d20+10=20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976510/). One of them hits, doing 1d8+2=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976513/) (7) damage. Fargrim is marked until the end of the uninjured skeletons next turn (he'll take a -2 to attacks if he switches targets).

Stralor makes a basic attack (please post more detail next time, or use the roller!) and hits (1d20+5=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976545/)), doing
4 damage. (1d8+3=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976548/))

One skeleton is now down to 14 hp left. the other is still at 45.

Ridcully uses a second Sly flourish but misses. 1d20+6=15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976561/)

The rotting skeletons behind the wall fire another volley of bolts. This time, two are aimed at Fargrim (one hits), and another at Stralor, which ricochets off of his shield (he's AC 20).  1d20+6=10, 1d20+6=25, 1d20+6=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976564/)


-----------------------
The armored skeletons normally have HP 45; Bloodied 22
AC 18; Fortitude 15, Reflex 16, Will 15. The unarmored ones are minions, but are nonetheless +6 to hit AC, and do 3 damage on a hit.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 12, 2009, 10:22:22 am
Quote from: CavScout;288698
OCC: Ok, here goes from memory since I didn't lug my char sheet to work.

Attack: 1d20+6 → [12,6] = (18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976482/)  
Damage (if needed): 1d8+3 → [6,3] = (9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976486/)


Your character sheet is right here! :)
http://www.therpgsite.com/showpost.php?p=287254&postcount=14 The 18 does hit, by the way. I will use that for your next attack.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 12, 2009, 11:45:58 am
OOC- Fargrim marked the skeleton he hit.  Which skeleton marked Fargrim, the injured one or the non-injured one?  

Maybe we could number the opponents and list their current hit points at the end of each round, or something to that effect?

Also, I would like your ruling on Fargrim's AC.  As far as I understand the rules, his AC should be 18.  Here's the breakdown:

+6 = chainmail
+1 = Two-Weapon Defense
+1 = Defensive weapon (Adventurer's Vault, p. 8)

Now, from my comprehension of the rules, the Two-Weapon Defense feat bonus should stack with the defensive weapon bonus, but maybe I'm projecting 3e rules onto 4e.  What do you think?


BTW, I'm not trying to negate the hit that Fargrim took.  I just want to hammer it out for future reference.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 12, 2009, 01:23:38 pm
Ridcully Continues to use Sly Flourish after breaking out his sling and bullets, until his companions move into melee range at which point he will use acrobatics combined with artful dodger to position himself to gain combat advantage against whichever foe Fargrim attacks while keeping himself from being flanked if possible.

Next several rolls for d20: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976816/ (they suck)

Possible Dagger damage rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976820/

Possible Sling damage rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976823/

Possible Sneak Attack rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976822/
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 12, 2009, 01:45:49 pm
Quote from: Drohem;288716
OOC- Fargrim marked the skeleton he hit.  Which skeleton marked Fargrim, the injured one or the non-injured one?  

Maybe we could number the opponents and list their current hit points at the end of each round, or something to that effect?

Also, I would like your ruling on Fargrim's AC.  As far as I understand the rules, his AC should be 18.  Here's the breakdown:

+6 = chainmail
+1 = Two-Weapon Defense
+1 = Defensive weapon (Adventurer's Vault, p. 8)

Now, from my comprehension of the rules, the Two-Weapon Defense feat bonus should stack with the defensive weapon bonus, but maybe I'm projecting 3e rules onto 4e.  What do you think?


BTW, I'm not trying to negate the hit that Fargrim took.  I just want to hammer it out for future reference.


OOC: That sounds fine, I think it should stack in your favor. I was going by the character sheet you posted which erroneously lists "11" as your AC. The one attack that hit you so far was a 25. Can you edit it?

The uninjured skeleton is the one that hit and marked you.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 12, 2009, 01:47:03 pm
Quote from: Sigmund;288746
Ridcully Continues to use Sly Flourish after breaking out his sling and bullets, until his companions move into melee range at which point he will use acrobatics combined with artful dodger to position himself to gain combat advantage against whichever foe Fargrim attacks while keeping himself from being flanked if possible.

Next several rolls for d20: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976816/ (they suck)

Possible Dagger damage rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976820/

Possible Sling damage rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976823/

Possible Sneak Attack rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976822/


This is a good idea! I likehow you worked out several strategies. Thanks!

I'm going to wait a while for Shroom to do something...
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 12, 2009, 01:59:23 pm
Shroom distances himself from the fray, blasting forth with magic missiles until an opportunity presents itself for a Force Orb.

Magical Attack Rolls (1d20+3=4, 1d20+3=22, 1d20+3=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976853/)

Magic Missile Damage Rolls (2d4+3=8, 2d4+3=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976858/)

Magic Missile Damage for Third Attack (If Force Orb Ain't Used) (2d4+3=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976877/)

Secondary Force Orb Attack Rolls - Use As Necessary (1d20+3=10, 1d20+3=7, 1d20+3=11, 1d20+3=4, 1d20+3=23, 1d20+3=10, 1d20+3=10, 1d20+3=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976870/)

Force Orb Primary Attack Damage (2d8+4=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976861/)

Force Orb Secondary Attack Damage (1d10+3=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976864/)

(That's good enough for 3 rounds - I will only use Force Orb if I can catch 3 or more in the AoE).
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 12, 2009, 02:29:21 pm
Quote from: Abyssal Maw;288751
OOC: That sounds fine, I think it should stack in your favor. I was going by the character sheet you posted which erroneously lists "11" as your AC. The one attack that hit you so far was a 25. Can you edit it?


Cool.  Sheet edited.

Quote from: Abyssal Maw;288751
The uninjured skeleton is the one that hit and marked you.


Yup, that's exactly what I needed to know in order to choose which power to use in the 2nd round.  

Fargrim will use his daily power Knee Breaker and attack the uninjured skeleton that marked him with it.  He will shift, or move (and possibly give up an AO) so that he is opposite Stralor and can get Combat Advantage with the attack.

See below:[/I]

==========================================================

Fargrim doesn't realize he's been injured.  The adrenaline rush has hit him and his sole focus is downing his enemies quickly by raining furious and powerful blows upon them relentlessly.

Fargrim moves slightly so that he and Stralor can harass the skeleton from it's flanks.  Fargrim swings low, aiming to cut the skeleton's legs out from under him in one fell swoop.

==========================================================

OOC- Fargrim's Knee Breaker attack roll hit AC 19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976900/), and does 24 points of damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976907/).   The skeleton is slowed (save ends).
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: CavScout on March 12, 2009, 07:12:09 pm
If any of the creatures are about to flank Fargrim, I will use a minor action to mark them with "Divine Challeenge" and move to attack them with Holy Strike.

Attack: 1d20+6 → [6,6] = (12)  (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1977222/)

If I manage to hit the marked one: 1d8+3+3 → [2,3,3] = (8)  (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1977223/)

If I don't have one to mark, or can't get to it to attack, I will attack any the comes within melee insetad. Same rolls as above but damage would be less 3, so 5.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 13, 2009, 09:30:48 am
(Reposting the initiative Order)

Shroom collects himself and takes cover behind the husk of a tea tree-- he begins firing magic missiles at the closest combatants, trying to maneuver himself closer to the group of skeletons huddled behind the wall. His first missile fizzles in his hands.

(OOC: This was to explain the missed attack roll - natural 1- that Shroom would have taken place last round)

Fargrim shifts around the uninjured skeleton and swings his axe, which cleanly shears the skeleton's lower limb completely off. The figure is undaunted though, and fights on with frenzied supernatural strength.

Now each of the skeletons has squared off individually against Stralor and Fargrim, coordinating a practiced dwarven warhammer assault... but with minimal effect.

Stralor maintains his flank, looking out for any attempts at circling Fargrim.. but the  leg-sheared skeleton is unable to move very far. Stralor makes a sweeping cut against the other skeleton, who steps back briefly, and their weapons crash together. For a moment, Stralor's eyes lock with the blackened empty holes in the dwarven skull he faces and a silent challenge is issued.

Suddenly a silvery streak of light crashes into the back of the Skeleton Stralor is facing, which causes it to stagger and turn around. Shroom's magic missile hit! Shroom ducks back behind the cover of the tree and begins preparing a second one.

Ridcully launches a third sling bullet, which flies wide. he pockets the sling and draws his dagger. Thinking quickly, he plots out a way to slip through the shadows between the trees in the orchard so that he can backstab one of the skeletons in a flank.

Just then, the three rotting skeletons behind the wall pop up and fire another volley of crossbow bolts at Fargrim and Stralor, who are each hit once.

Fargrim lashes out quickly and follows up with two chops from his double axe on the now-flanked legless skeleton. One of them connects and splinters bone and fragments of chainmail in all directions. But the skeleton fights on.

The two armored skeletons try to coordinate another warhammer assault, although both are obviously nearly destroyed. Nonetheless, they fall back on reliable dwarven tactics.. and both land a pair of coordinated hammer blows on Stralor and Fargrim.. each attack connecting solidly.

Fargrim and Stralor are both bloodied. Ridcully is preparing to move out.. Shroom is picking his targets carefully...

=====OOC, let's look at damage taken real quick.

in the first round, Stralor took 3 damage, Fargrim took 10
in this post Stralor took another 3 and Fargrim took another 3 from warhammer hits
then Stralor and Fargrim each get hit by bolts from the rotting skeletons, so 3 more damage each.
Then Stralor is hit for 8 more, and Fargrim hit for 6 more.

Total: Stralor is down 17. He's bloodied. Fargrim is down 22. He's also bloodied. Don't forget second wind!

====================OOC Section!====================

One skeleton is now down to 14 hp left. the other is still at 45.
The other three remain behind the crumbling stone wall, still firing crossbow bolts at Fargrim and Stralor who are easiest to hit.

Shroom came in a bit late but we'll say his first attack was on last round (which was a miss) and he'll also get to attack this round again.

Fargrim's shifted around to the uninjured skeleton, and his Knee Breaker attack roll hit AC 19, and did 24 points of damage against it. (Fargrim is flanking with Stralor now). The skeleton is slowed (save ends). I'm going to say that it actually removed the skeletons legs (and it now has to drag itself forward). Since it's undead, it isn't otherwise affected other than the slow.

One skeleton is down to 14hp, and the other is down to 21. Both are "bloodied".

The two armored skeletons attack Stralor (rolling a 20 and hitting) and Fargrim (rolling a 23 and hitting). 1d20+10=20, 1d20+10=23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978058/). Both attacks hit, and both do 3 damage.
1d8+2=3, 1d8+2=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978059/)

Stralor misses, but marks his opponent nonetheless.

Shrooms 2nd magic missile hits (Magical Attack Rolls 1d20+3=22)  and does 8 damage.

So now the skeleton Stralor faces is down to 6hp, and the other is still at 21.

Ridcully's sling attack was a 6, missing. Ridcully draws his dagger and he's going to sneak up and attack whichever skellton is still living next round with a backstab.

The three rotting skeletons fire another volley of crossbow bolts- 2 shots at Stralor, and 1 at Fargrim. 1d20+6=17, 1d20+6=26, 1d20+6=20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978086/)One each seems to hit both Stralor and Fargrim. They each take 3 damage.

Fargrim didn't post any follow on strategy so I am going to pick a dual strike for him on the flanked opponent. He's +7/+7 (two attacks) to dispatch the now-legless skeleton. Let's get through this battle! 1d20+7=23, 1d20+7=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978094/). One attack hits for 8 damage (
    1d10=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978096/))

So now the skeleton Stralor faces is down to 6hp, and the one Fargrim has flanked is at 13.

The armored skeletons attack again, one each on Stralor (1st roll) and Fargrim (2nd roll) 1d20+10=21, 1d20+10=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978100/). Both solid hits. Stralor takes 8 and Fargrim takes 6 damage.
1d8+2=8, 1d8+2=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978103/)


-----------------------
The armored skeletons normally have HP 45; Bloodied 22
AC 18; Fortitude 15, Reflex 16, Will 15. The unarmored ones are minions, but are nonetheless +6 to hit AC, and do 3 damage on a hit.[/QUOTE]
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: CavScout on March 13, 2009, 09:55:05 am
OCC: Wanting to buy a cleric!
****
Stralor will making a Holy Strike attack against the marked target.
1d20+6 → [4,6] = (10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978125/))

If he would have hit, it would have been 1d8+3+3 → [5,3,3] = (11)  (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978128/).

For a follow-up, if Fargrim is hit again this round, if I am still within range of him I will use Lay of Hands on him. If he isn't hit, or I can't reach him, I will use Bolstering Strike on my marked target.

1d20+6 → [16,6] = (22)  (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978147/), damage if it hits: 1d8+3 → [6,3] = (9)  (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978148/). This will grant me temporary hit points equal to my Wis [17].
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 13, 2009, 09:57:26 am
We'll wait for Fargrim to post again, so we can get a full round of action done..
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 13, 2009, 12:08:12 pm
Still flanking the legless rotting skeleton, Fargrim launches into a series of fast and furious strikes ending in a powerful and decisive stroke.

==========================================================

OOC- Fargrim attacks the encounter Bell Ringer power and hit FORT 16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978324/) for 15 damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978328/).


Quote from: Abyssal Maw;289130
Fargrim didn't post any follow on strategy so I am going to pick a dual strike for him on the flanked opponent. He's +7/+7 (two attacks) to dispatch the now-legless skeleton. Let's get through this battle! 1d20+7=23, 1d20+7=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978094/). One attack hits for 8 damage (
    1d10=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978096/))


Please add 4 more damage to that hit :):


Also, his normal attack bonus is +6:


I'm going to write-up my own sheet and post so that you'll have the correct numbers and breakdowns.  I'll post it later today. :)

Just assume Fargrim would be making at-will Duel Strike attacks in the future when in doubt like you did here.[/I]

==========================================================
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 13, 2009, 12:34:26 pm
Quote from: Drohem;289171
Still flanking the legless rotting skeleton, Fargrim launches into a series of fast and furious strikes ending in a powerful and decisive stroke.

==========================================================

OOC- Fargrim attacks the encounter Bell Ringer power and hit FORT 16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978324/) for 15 damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978328/).


I will add the 4 damage, but a slight correction! The Bell Ringer only does damage equal to your con modifier. It's main effect is to leave an opponent dazed (which gives everyone combat advantage, you are now Ridcully's best friend). My girlfriends Great Weapon fighter uses this one too. You can of course, follow it up with an action point and a second chop...

I'm getting ready to complete this battle... Have to get lunch first.

OOC: to any Lurkers: still room if you'd like to join!
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 13, 2009, 12:36:06 pm
Seeing his new friends being hurt, Ridcully enters the battle with renewed energy.

OOC: Ridcully will enter melee opening with Sly Lunge, then use Piercing Strikes.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 13, 2009, 12:46:12 pm
Quote from: Abyssal Maw;289177
I will add the 4 damage, but a slight correction! The Bell Ringer only does damage equal to your con modifier. It's main effect is to leave an opponent dazed (which gives everyone combat advantage, you are now Ridcully's best friend).


:o
hehehe.... See what happens when you try to think before coffee?  :)

Well, I was trying to put the skeleton down with a powerful hit, but giving Ridcully the set up is just a fine as I'm sure if he connects he'll probably take the skeleton down, or put it on its last legs (ooh!  unintentional pun!).
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 13, 2009, 01:53:12 pm
OOC- ooh!  I forgot about my Dwarven Resilience ability.  So, this round, as a minor action, Fargrim will take his Second Wind and heal back 7 hit points.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 13, 2009, 01:56:26 pm
Reposting initiative, (and starting with Fargrim)


Fargrim spins his axe sideways and makes an overhead swing that crunches the legless skeleton's helmet down over it's bony skull.

The crunch-helmeted legless skeleton fumbles around, swinging wildly..while the other one faces off against Stralor.. Once again these two dwarves hit with their attacks, although the first one is obviously now berserk.

You watch horrified as the skeleton's wild hammer swing connects with Fargrim's midsection with a sickening thud. Fargrim goes down...

Stralor suddenly finds himself badly wounded and facing both skeletons.  He backs up, and reaches down to touch Fargrim...

Fargrim's eyes flicker open. He is laying prone. His axe is nearby.

Stralor then stands and swings at his marked opponent, trying to force it back from Fargrim's prone figure. He misses, and then surges forward to make a second bolstering strike* with shatters the first armored skeleton into pieces.

The legless skeleton skitters forward like a horrible insect, dragging itself through the blighted soil towards Fargrim, ready to land a death blow when Shroom's second missile catches it in the back. The skeleton goes limp and collapses on top of Fargrim.

Fargrim shoves the pile of bones off of him.

Shroom starts maneuvering through the trees, to get a better angle on the rotting skeletons who are still taking cover behind the wall.

Ridcully however, has spent this time trying to maneuver up to get an attack on the armored skeletons. He suddenly switches targets and runs for the wall, where he lands with a sly lunge on one of the crossbow-wielding skeletons. It collapses into a pile of bones.

The two remaining rotting skeletons each pick up a dirt-caked warhammer of it's own and attack Ridcully.. sliding to either side of the brave little halfling and hammering him mercilessly. One of the hammers glances off Ridcully's shoulder.


There are two rotting skeletons left. They are minions... but they are still dangerous.
-----HP Recap---------
hit points recap:
Fargrim is at  7 hit points
Stralor is  3 hp and 3 temp hp. (so 6): He is also down 1 healing surge.
Ridcully is at 19
Shroom is at 23
------------OOC---------------
Fargrim hits with Bell Ringer! It does 3 damage, but we will also add in the extra 4 from last round where I miscalculated... The skeleton is left at 6 hit points and dazed (it only gets one action, which it chooses to attack with).  

Both skeletons are now at 6 hit points.

The skeletons both hit, with the crunched one attacking Fargrim...
1d20+10=29, 1d20+10=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978414/). Damage is 10 for Fargrim, and 3 for Stralor. Fargrim goes down! 1d8+2=10, 1d8+2=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978419/). Fargrim.. shoulda used second wind! It's a minor action for dwarves...

Fargrim is at -1.
Stralor is now down 20 (from 25)

Stralor uses Lay on hands (minor action) and spends a surge, and Fargrim is back up to 7. Fargrim, I would advise you also take a second wind at some point...!

Stralor  attacks his marked opponent and misses with a 10, (but since you posted the bolstering strike idea too..)I went ahead and had you spend an action point and bolstering strike as you mentioned, in the same round. 1d20 6=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978147/) hits for 9 damage. This destroys the marked skeleton, and gives Stralor back 3 temp hit points.

Shroom's last magic missile hits the final armored skeleton, Magical Attack Rolls (1d20+3=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976853/), doing 7 damage and killing it.

Ridcully drops onto the closest skeleton with his dagger, and kills it. (using his second attack here- these are minions) 1d20,1d20,1d20,1d20=[6], [9], [17], [6] (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1976816/) (keep in mind that you are +7 to all of these; that's +4 for dex, and +3 for dagger)

The two remaining rotting skeletons drop their crossbows, pick up warhammers, and flank Ridcully, where one of them hits him (and one barely misses. 1d20+6=15, 1d20+6=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978466/)

Ridcully uses his halfling second chance since this is the end of the encounter on the one that hit with the 19. Unfortunately, it still hit. He takes 4 damage.  1d20 6=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978478/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: CavScout on March 13, 2009, 02:13:13 pm
OCC: What's left in melee of myself and Fargrim? Or is the only things left the two on Ridcully?
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 13, 2009, 02:21:53 pm
Shroom jumps out from behind his cover and moves towards the skeletons with a frantic burst of agility.

(Assuming he can reach the skeletons and catch them in his spell's AoE) His hands visibly charged with electricity and crackling with thunder, the eldarin thrusts them forth, invoking a shrieking "Eep!" as waves of power extend from thier tips.

Thunderwave Attack Rolls, Vs. Fort (1d20+3=14, 1d20+3=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978502/)

Thunder Wave Damage; It Also Pushes Them Back 3 Squares (If The Attack Hits) (1d6+3=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978504/)

(If he cannot reach them) He shoots forth another magic missile as he manuevers into position.

Magic Missile Attack Roll (1d20+3=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978505/)

Magic Missile Damage Roll (2d4+3=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978507/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 13, 2009, 02:36:44 pm
Quote from: CavScout;289228
OCC: What's left in melee of myself and Fargrim? Or is the only things left the two on Ridcully?

The two armored skeletons you were battling are both dead. The only thing left are the two rotting skeletons on Ridcully. They are flanking him, and just on the far side of a section of low wall. You can jump over the wall (or run around it) or fire over it (-2 cover)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 13, 2009, 02:38:56 pm
And I just now noted Fargrim was using his dwarven resilience. So now he is up to 14 hit points. Still bloodied, but feeling much better.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 13, 2009, 03:01:21 pm
[I am going to post another round of activity since I am going to be gone until very late playing Champions. By the way, I just caught on that the minion skeletons are flanking Ridicully so I won't be using Thunderwave.]

Closer to the field of battle, Shroom launches forth another magic missile, hoping to distract the bony fiends from the overwhelmed Ridiculy.

Magic Missile Attack Roll (1d20+3=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978539/)

Magic Missile Damage Roll (2d4+3=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978542/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 13, 2009, 03:59:01 pm
Quote from: Abyssal Maw;289243
And I just now noted Fargrim was using his dwarven resilience. So now he is up to 14 hit points. Still bloodied, but feeling much better.


And never went down! :)  Although, he is grateful for Stralor being right there with the Laying on Hands action!
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 13, 2009, 04:06:13 pm
Fargrim runs around the wall and positions himself so that the skeleton is between himself and Ridcully.  Fargrim unleashes a barage of blows from each end of axe, hitting the skeleton and taking him down.

(OOC- Fargrim's Dual Strike attacks hit AC 12 & 22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978623/).  One hit successfully for 10 damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978625/).)

==========================================================

Quote from: Abyssal Maw;289243
And I just now noted Fargrim was using his dwarven resilience. So now he is up to 14 hit points. Still bloodied, but feeling much better.


And never went down! :)  Although, he is grateful for Stralor being right there with the Laying on Hands action![/I]
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 14, 2009, 01:11:04 am
Ridcully will rely on Artful Dodger and circle around to the side of the skeleton opposite his friends and swing with Piercing Strike (which opposes their reflex defense instead of ac).

Next 4 d20 rolls if needed: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1979240/

Next 4 d4 damage rolls for dagger: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1979243/

Next 4 possible sneak attack damage rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1979246/
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 14, 2009, 09:47:06 am
Repost of initiative, this time starting at Fargrim.



Fargrim grabs up his axe and runs around behind the wall, where he swings his double axe in a spinning double strike... (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1978623/). The skeleton pinned between him and Ridcully is caught offguard and goes down in a clatter of dry bones.

Stralor rushes to the far side of the wall and Shroom launches another magic missile, which flies wide and impacts the crumbling stone.

In that moment of distraction, Ridcully slips behind the last remaining skeleton and drives his dagger into it. It collapses.

You all stand around panting, looking at each other. It is approaching dusk.

==============OOC===============

Ok, the encounter is now over. You have killed 5 out of the 12 skeletons that made up the Fallen Defenders of Copperpot Hold. This encounter was worth 93 XP each. please edit your character sheet and post your XP!

Stralor's temporary hit points disappear at this point. You can spend healing surges freely to heal at this point.

hit points recap:
Fargrim is at 14 hit points
Stralor is 3 hp. He is also down 1 healing surge.
Ridcully is at 19
Shroom is at 23

At this point I'd like to bring in Venosha's character. See next post.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 14, 2009, 09:57:49 am
In the distance, just at the edge of the orchard, you can see a dilapidated farmhouse with a nearby barn, abandoned for years, even before the blight.

Around this time, Ridcully also notices the silhouette of a lone figure walking down the trail from Copperpot Hold. It is a female elf, wearing a backpack, and carrying a longbow.

Before long she crosses the distance from the trail to the orchard and approaches your group.  

==========OOC====================
Welcome to Venosha's character Edwena, elven battle cleric..! Edwena has heard about the undead dwarves and was coming to assess the problem on behalf of the Elven Court nearby as a gesture of friendship with the dwarven clan here.
=================================

Ridcully also points back towards the farmhouse, alerting your group. He notices movement in the windows on  the upper floor...
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 14, 2009, 10:45:19 am
Shoom looks at Ridiculy with wide eyes and then the window with squinted ones, saying, "You believe that someone lurks high in the farmhouse? Of course, the only obvious thing to do is investigate." He then bows his head to Edwena, "Ladies first!"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: CavScout on March 14, 2009, 11:28:23 am
OCC: Stralor will use 3 surges at this point to heal up. (3x6+3) So he is back up to 21. He is down to 6 surges for the day (4 used).

As Starol is applying a compress to a wound, he notice figure crossing the field. "Looks like we have a visitor, but ill intent does not seem to be her business."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 14, 2009, 12:00:45 pm
Ridcully brushes himself off, retrieves his thrown dagger, and then grins at the elf and says, "Hey, you're an elf. Do your eyes almost pop out all the time too? Oww. Anyone have a shovel?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on March 14, 2009, 03:04:42 pm
At the request of the her Elven Court, Edwena leaves Copperpot Hold and makes her way towards the rumored area where Dwarf Skeletons are said to  haunt the grounds.  As she makes her way out of the orchard, she notices four stout adventures looking in her direction as she passes a farmhouse.

 She evaluates the situation as she approaches the battle ground and eyes the scattered skeletons lying in pieces.  Edwena hustles towards the dwarf, "I am Edwena of the house of Winterbane," she bows to the dwarf.  "I came to offer my service in laying the skeletons to rest," she pauses "as an offer of friendship with the dwarven clan."  Again she looks at the ground, "I dare say I might be a little late."

Edwena's attention is caught by the halfling as he points towards the farm house.  "Maybe not," she looks back at the group.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 14, 2009, 04:44:58 pm
Looking at the broken and scattered remains of kinsmen, Fargrim's stomach turns queasy and the bile starts to rise in his throat.  He is able to choke it down before anyone notices because they are otherwise occupied by the lone elf figure walking towards them, and the silhouette in the farmhouse.  

As the figure comes closer to them, Fargrim unconsciously grooms his beard, returning any errant wisps back into place.  He squirms his shoulders around a bit, to re-adjust his chainmail, and stomps his boots to shake the dust off.

Once she approaches him and speaks, Fargrim bowed deeply and respectfully towards her.

"Your arrival and offer of aid is most welcome, Edwena of House Winterbane, and we accept it in honest appreciation," Fargrim says in genuine sincerity, "I am Fargrim, son of Osrik."

Turning to each of his companions as he introduces them, he says, "this is Ridcully, a deadly knife-fighter.  This is Lord Stralor, a champion of the Church of Pelor.  And, this is Shroom, student of the Arcane Arts.  These brave men have agreed to aid me in putting to rest the souls and remains of my ancestors, and to discover and vanquish this malevolence that has brought this evil Blight upon the peaceful Hekat Valley."

Addressing Edwena again, Fargrim says, "the dwarves of Copperpot Hold will not forget this kindness by our elven friends."

Looking sheepish for a moment, he says to his companions, "neither will they forget your aid, my brave and bold friends.  We have forged a bond in battle that is not easily broken.  I shall make the runes myself upon returning to Copperpot Hold.  You shall ever be welcomed at my hearth, and within the Halls of Copperpot Hold, as a friend."  

Fargrim lowers his head for a moment in silence, looking down at the scattered remains of the heroes of Copperpot Hold.

"We must put rest the remains of these heroes once again, releasing their souls from this unnatural disgrace.  The proper prayers and rituals must be spoken upon their graves.  But, these can wait a little longer while we find and deal with the others," looking towards the farmhouse, he continues, "it looks like we may not have to go far.  Rest a moment my friends, and re-catch your breath.  Then let us end this ugly business."

=============================================

Fargrim spends two healing surges, giving him back 14  hit points, and bringing his hit point total to 28/31.  He's spent a total of three healing surges today.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 14, 2009, 07:27:35 pm
OOC: I will be back to update this more on Monday!

Hopefully I was clear, there is a quest here to defeat the 12 animated dwarf skeletons and return them to their burial ground. You've downed 5. When you get to the 12th one, you will each get a 150 xp bonus.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 15, 2009, 11:16:42 am
After our official 5 minute rest, Ridcully will stealth ahead a bit and check out the outside of the house, searching ambushes or other potential dangers.

Stealth roll: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1980355/
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 16, 2009, 09:19:55 am
Ridcully slips into the shadows as you all bind your wounds and catch your breaths. It kind of amazes you how he has the ability to disappear like that.. one moment you see him dart beneath a scraggly section of hedge, and then he's gone...


Meanwhile, just to Ridcully:

You sneak up and circle the old farmhouse, and note that the structure is in pretty good shape- two stories, built in the style of the humans here for human-sized occupants. It needs repair in a few places- the ceramic-tile roof has had shingles blown off, and a set of shutters are blasted loose on the first floor. But it would be a decent place to shelter in. When you circle around to the backyard you find the place encircled in a low stone wall, dilapidated and crumbling like the one in the orchard.

Ridcully is shocked to see the ghostly form of a little girl (not much taller than you..). She is wearing a faded red dress and holding a ragged doll, whispering to it. The air is extremely cold around her, and the halfling dares not get any closer without alerting her. Her entire form seems to glow slightly and yet, he can see through her- she is translucent and ghostly.

Looking up, Ridcully can see the windows are blown out and another pair of dwarven skeletons is standing motionless in an upstairs room.

Suddenly the back door creaks open and a bloated zombielike human form dressed in stained rags and oozing with necrotic filth stands in the doorway moaning mindlessly. The little-girl ghost turns and looks in his direction and then skips towards the doorway. She shimmers and fades away as she gets closer. The zombie-like creature turns and shuffles back inside, closing the door.

In Summary: at least two more dwarven skeletons, some kind of zombie-corpselike thing.. and the ghostly little girl are in the farmhouse.

Ridcully can return safely at this point.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 16, 2009, 09:39:27 am
Shroom gets visibly excited, "Farmhouse... Farmhouse... Think we'll run into some cows? I hope not... Cows." He shudders.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 16, 2009, 10:20:10 am
Ridcully reappears and shares what he has seen with the others, notably not as cheerful as usual.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 16, 2009, 10:26:56 am
Shroom smiles, "No cows! Hooray! Oh wait, more undead..." He frowns, "Bleh."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: CavScout on March 16, 2009, 10:46:01 am
Stralor listening to Ridcully's scouting report, "This place reeks of evil."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 16, 2009, 11:25:30 am
Ridcully plops himself down and nibbles on a bit of cracker from his rations as the others digest his report and plan.

OOC: resting more in order to regain any lost HPs.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 16, 2009, 12:13:20 pm
Fargrim gives Stralor a sideways glance as Shroom mutters out loud about finding cows.

"By Berronar's Ladle!"  Fargrim exclaims after hearing Ridcully's report on the farmhouse.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 16, 2009, 12:15:36 pm
So.. how would you like to proceed? There are obviously two more of the dwarven skeletons there.

Also, some kind of spectral girl, and the strange zombie.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 16, 2009, 12:24:20 pm
OOC- Well, as soon as Ridcully is surged up, we'll head up to the farmhouse and take care of business.  Unless, anyone else has something special they would like to do before entering the farmhouse?
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on March 16, 2009, 01:06:43 pm
OOC- I would like to healing word on Ridcully.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 16, 2009, 02:26:02 pm
As the group moves forward, Shroom nervously picks up his quarterstaff and proceeds to the farmhouse well behind the others.

OOC: I will roll for initiative and my initial attacks - 3 magic missile and 1 force orb if 3 or more enemies are aligned - here.

Initiative Roll (1d20+1=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1981616/)

Magic Missile Attack Rolls (1d20+3=5, 1d20+3=5, 1d20+3=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1981618/)

Magic Missile Damage Rolls (2d4+3=8, 2d4+3=6, 2d4+3=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1981621/)

Force Orb Primary Attack (1d20+3=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1981625/)

Force Orb Secondary Attack Rolls (1d20+3=18, 1d20+3=4, 1d20+3=11, 1d20+3=6, 1d20+3=20, 1d20+3=4, 1d20+3=22, 1d20+3=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1981627/)

Force Orb Primary Attack Damage (2d8+3=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1981633/)

Force Orb Secondary Attacks Damage (1d10+3=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1981634/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 16, 2009, 03:30:12 pm
OOC:

Ok, we're going to set a bit of a house rule, because of the nature of play by post, I think it will be easier to say that as long as Edwena is available to assist in healing you guys between encounters, you can heal up to "Surge +3"

Normally you would roll a d6 and add that to a healing surge; the purpose of this is to just eliminate the time it takes to roll.

Tomorrow we'll do the encounter at the farmhouse!
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 17, 2009, 01:03:47 am
Ridcully thanks Edwena as he hops to his feet and wanders towards the farmhouse.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 17, 2009, 11:25:07 am
The five of you now cautiously approach the dilapidated farmhouse along the "safe" route marked by Ridcully. Soon, you find yourselves leaving the orchard entirely, and making your way around to the backyard where you remain outside of a low crumbling stone wall.

At first, you see nothing but the dusty remains of the old backyard- nothing but a porch, some piled debris, and an open area. Across from you is the ruined farmhouse (which looks like it might make a serviceable shelter if you have to spend the night somewhere...)

Looking up, you notice two armored dwarven skeletons standing motionless in the upstairs window...Then, also through the window, you can see the shadow of an oozing zombielike corpse as it seems to enter the room, turn slowly and then walk away. You can't track it's movements from outside the house, but it seems to shuffle up the stairs, walk around for a bit and then walk downstairs, as if patrolling.

When you start to whisper your plans, the ghostly form of the little girl begins to coalesce once again in the middle of the backyard. She still carries her pathetic rag doll, and she is whispering to it.

Just as before the door creaks open to reveal the zombie-like creature. She turns and walks towards the door.. and disappears. The door slams shut.

It becomes apparent that the scene repeats itself every few minutes or so.

The two dwarven skeletons are upstairs.
The zombie patrols the house from upstairs to downstairs.
The spectral girl appears below...
the zombie opens the door.. and the ghost fades away.


How do you wish to proceed?
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: CavScout on March 17, 2009, 11:32:00 am
Stralor mutters, "What kind of cursed place is this?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 17, 2009, 11:49:50 am
OOC: Now, if you choose, you can easily get a surprise round in on the spectral little girl since she is out there for a while alone...

You might also try something else.

All of you *also* notice that the air seems to get really cold just before the little girl appears, and privately, it gives each of you except for Ridcully and Stralor a tinge of unnatural, unreasoning fear whenever she appears.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: CavScout on March 17, 2009, 12:07:09 pm
OCC: Does it seem that any of the creatures notice us?
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 17, 2009, 12:24:17 pm
"I think it's a cursed, cursed place." Ridcully whispers back, "The little girl makes me sad, but that thing that comes to the door is yucky. I think we should attack right after the girl fades away, and try to leave her alone."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 17, 2009, 12:30:50 pm
Quote from: CavScout;290377
Stralor mutters, "What kind of cursed place is this?"


Speaking low while still looking at the backyard, Fargrim says, "see how the bloated zombie patrols the house, and two dwarven skeletons guard that room?  Something binds their unnatural wills to this place.  I have no practical experience with matters of the Unliving.  My strategy would be to try and catch the zombie alone downstairs and hope the dwarf skeletons don't react.  Are there special precautions that must be taken when fighting ghosts or zombies?  What about the little girl ghost?"

Fargrim looks from Stralor to Edwena, clearly relying on their religious training and experience for a suggestion, or some guidance.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 17, 2009, 12:34:13 pm
Quote from: CavScout;290385
OCC: Does it seem that any of the creatures notice us?


(You have not been noticed yet- if you remain behind the wall and pretty much whisper.. you will not be seen..)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on March 17, 2009, 12:41:52 pm
Edwena looks over to Fargrim and whispers "You notice that when the zombie appears at the door, the little girl turns to the door and disappears as she enters inside?"  Edwean catches her breath, "I might be able to immobilize one or both of them so we can make our way up towards the skeletons, but it won't last long."


OOC: As soon as a question is answered I will let everyone know if this idea will work.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on March 17, 2009, 01:11:34 pm
OOC: My question is to the group.  I receive my answer from AM, but what I want to know is should I assume that would be the direction everyone would want to go, or should decisions be voted on?  I don't want to jump the gun and throw stuff out there unless everyone has offered up their decision.  

With the pace of the game I don't want to hold back the group either.  So please let me know how you want to proceed.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 17, 2009, 01:47:33 pm
Quote from: Venosha;290413
OOC: My question is to the group.  I receive my answer from AM, but what I want to know is should I assume that would be the direction everyone would want to go, or should decisions be voted on?  I don't want to jump the gun and throw stuff out there unless everyone has offered up their decision.  

With the pace of the game I don't want to hold back the group either.  So please let me know how you want to proceed.


Sure, whatcha got?  I've got nothing other than kick in the door and start hacking.[/I]
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on March 17, 2009, 02:13:12 pm
Edwena awaits for the apparition to appear again.  She feels for the cold air which warns of the little girls coming. Edwena will sneak up behind the girl as she turns around for the opening of the door.  She will try to surprise the girl as well as the zombie, hoping to sear and immobilize them both.

"Avandra, please fill me with you divine power so I may turn these undead," she prays to her deity


Roll for turn undead. +6 for Wis & CA. (1d20+6=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1983333/)

Damage for turn undead. (1d10+4=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1983318/)

OOC: Should I roll for both, or is one roll okay?   Also I will not be back until late this afternoon or night fall for another post.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 17, 2009, 04:58:02 pm
Ridcully readies his sling and looks to Edena for the  cue to attack.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: CavScout on March 17, 2009, 05:04:33 pm
Stralor, "Before we strike, are we sure all these cursed souls are evil in intent and purpose?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 17, 2009, 07:10:22 pm
Shroom smiles with wide eyes, "Maybe we should go ask them!" He approaches, "Excuse me, accursed creatures, is there any one of you who is not evil?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on March 17, 2009, 09:58:54 pm
Edwena is caught off guard by the paladin's remarks and turns to him to justify her prayer.  "I apologize if I acted too quickly, I just feel an unnatural and unexplainable fear when the girl appears."  She hold back the energy surging through her body.  "I thought we were on a mission to lay to rest the dwarf skeletons above, and I have rarely run into helpful undead.."    After she whispers her remarks to the Stralor, she watches Shroom walk up to the undead to ask their intent.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 17, 2009, 11:41:09 pm
Ridcully slips into the shadows of the nearby wall.

Stealth roll: 18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1983912/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 18, 2009, 08:35:12 am
OOC: (Uhm, we lost Stralor, as Cavscout has been banned).

Ridcully slips into the shadows once again.

Edwena starts to ready a turn undead, and pryas to her deity...

Let's just say that Edwena has a turn undead all cued up and ready to go (it would take a moment before the zombie opens the door so he doesn't use it immediately.. and then he cancels it, when Shroom walks up to talk to the ghostly girl.)

"Excuse me, accursed creatures, is there any one of you who is not evil?"

The little girl ghost turns, and Shroom realizes that the area is freezing cold around her.

She looks at him for a moment, and then motions him off to the side, away from the view of the door, towards a pile of scattered debris and rubble. Shroom looks down and notices a scrap of faded cloth tucked into the rubble that seems out of place. The rest of the group can circle around the wall and get close enough to her that you can't be seen from the window or door.

The ghostly child speaks in a faraway voice.

~"My mother says that a black wave is coming, but I don't want to leave.."~


The ghostly child seems agitated about something, and wants to impart information, but supernatural forces seem to keep her from explaining what it is, and she may revert to a dangerous undead form at any moment.  

OOC: You are now in a 6/3 skill challenge.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 18, 2009, 08:47:04 am
Insight Check (1d20+8=27) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1984334/)

Shroom raises an eyebrow and stares, looking over the girl, wondering what she is keeping from him, "Is there something amiss? Speak up, I can't quite hear you."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 18, 2009, 08:59:10 am
Quote from: DeadUematsu;290725
Insight Check (1d20+8=27) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1984334/)

Shroom raises an eyebrow and stares, looking over the girl, wondering what she is keeping from him, "Is there something amiss? Speak up, I can't quite hear you."


She rolls her eyes (which is a bit disturbing for a ghost).. and points at the pile of debris. Shroom suddenly realizes the scrap of colored rags at the edge of the pile of debris is the same color (although faded) as the dress the ghostly child wears.

"~My doll is lost, and the black wave is almost here. Or it has been here. And it will be here again. The witch used to visit my mother, and she would bring me treats. I think she must have put something in them.. ~"


OOC:
That is one success.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on March 18, 2009, 11:33:16 am
Edwena watches for the zombie like creature as Shroom speaks with the girl.  The door hasn't opened yet, while the converstation is taking place.  Edwena braces her morningstar in case the creature appears in a unwelcome manner.

OOC: Since I was going to turn undead on the girl and the zombie, I am exposed to them while Shroom is talking to her right?
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 18, 2009, 11:44:37 am
History Check (1d20+11=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1984522/)

Shroom looks to the girl and his ears visibly perk as she mentions the cookies. Momentarily thinking about the witch, the eladrin licks his lips as he asks, "Are there any left? I'd like to ea...see them!"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 18, 2009, 12:24:18 pm
Ridcully makes his way to the pile of debris and looks curiously at the area Shroom and the ghost are interested in.

Active Perception: 23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1984581/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 18, 2009, 12:26:49 pm
Fargrim just stands there dumbfounded as Shroom casually strides over the ghost of the little girl.  He comes around the wall with everyone else, and watches in apprehensive silence as Shroom tries to question the ghostly girl.

Seeing the scrap of cloth in the refuse pile, Fargrim bends over and picks it up and examines.  He only does this because he knows that Edwena is acting as lookout at the backdoor, and he won't be attacked without an alarm being raised first.

"The doll," Fargrim says hesitantly at first but continues with conviction, "the doll.  We must find her doll.  It's either discarded somewhere here in the backyard, or in the house."

Fargrim starts searching the ground around the refuse pile, looking for a child's doll.  

==========================================================

OOC- Fargrim's Perception Check hit DC 14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1984586/).
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 18, 2009, 12:37:03 pm
Ridcully whisper, "I'm looking already Fargrim, just trying to be quiet about it. So have we found the cookies yet or not?" He starts poking through the debris with the point of his dagger.

OOC: Ridcully was already looking for the doll with my above perception check, but since I didn't actually say so I'll roll another perception check if I need to.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 18, 2009, 01:09:28 pm
Quote from: Venosha;290755
Edwena watches for the zombie like creature as Shroom speaks with the girl.  The door hasn't opened yet, while the converstation is taking place.  Edwena braces her morningstar in case the creature appears in a unwelcome manner.

OOC: Since I was going to turn undead on the girl and the zombie, I am exposed to them while Shroom is talking to her right?

OOC: I was having you move out of sight (from the house) to deal with the talking part. So you can all interact with the ghost. If the zombie-thing sees you, combat begins of course. It's very hostile. You are also certain that the ghost has the potential to become very dangerous-- Consider this the danger of failing the skill challenge..
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 18, 2009, 01:11:27 pm
Quote from: DeadUematsu;290760
History Check (1d20+11=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1984522/)

Shroom looks to the girl and his ears visibly perk as she mentions the cookies. Momentarily thinking about the witch, the eladrin licks his lips as he asks, "Are there any left? I'd like to ea...see them!"


You vaguely recall tales of a witch in the area-- same witch as in the lantern tale, actually. A Witch lived in the valley named Grunewild. She was feared by the villagers but would sometimes go and visit them in town where she was treated very well...

Successes: 2!
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 18, 2009, 01:12:29 pm
Quote from: Sigmund;290777
Ridcully makes his way to the pile of debris and looks curiously at the area Shroom and the ghost are interested in.

Active Perception: 23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1984581/)


Ridcully pokes through the debris and tugs out the shred of cloth and finds it belongs to an entire dress.. an empty dress. No bones, no body.

The body is missing...

Successes: 3...
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 18, 2009, 01:16:06 pm
Quote from: Drohem;290778
Fargrim just stands there dumbfounded as Shroom casually strides over the ghost of the little girl.  He comes around the wall with everyone else, and watches in apprehensive silence as Shroom tries to question the ghostly girl.

Seeing the scrap of cloth in the refuse pile, Fargrim bends over and picks it up and examines.  He only does this because he knows that Edwena is acting as lookout at the backdoor, and he won't be attacked without an alarm being raised first.

"The doll," Fargrim says hesitantly at first but continues with conviction, "the doll.  We must find her doll.  It's either discarded somewhere here in the backyard, or in the house."

Fargrim starts searching the ground around the refuse pile, looking for a child's doll.  

==========================================================

OOC- Fargrim's Perception Check hit DC 14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1984586/).

You've got the shred of dress already (Ridcully helps you dig it out). But the doll is actually missing. After scrabbling through the wreckage (and everyone ducking down and shushing each other when the zombie opens the door again.. and then leaves) Fargrim and Ridcully both become convinced that the doll is not in the debris.

The girl looks over at Fargrim. "~you remind me of the quiet ones upstairs. They want to go home. They hate it here...Anyhow, my dolly is gone. She took it. She took something else too.. and that's why I am here...~"


OOC:
Successes=3
Failures=1

(Note that the failure here still yielded some important info)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 18, 2009, 01:28:21 pm
Fargrim looks down at the ghostly girl and says, "little one, I will be sending my kinsmen home soon.  Where is the witch, and what else did she take from you?  Did she take your body?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 18, 2009, 01:58:31 pm
Quote from: Drohem;290811
Fargrim looks down at the ghostly girl and says, "little one, I will be sending my kinsmen home soon.  Where is the witch, and what else did she take from you?  Did she take your body?"


The spectral girl suddenly stares at Fargrim, and you can see that her hair begins to blow as if a strong wind has begun to blow in the area. The temperature was already freezing, and now it seems to drop another 10 degrees.. little puddles of rainwater near the area seem to ice over.

OOC: Fargrim, make either a perception, insight, or diplomacy check, your choice (choose whatever is highest). DC is 15.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 18, 2009, 02:03:46 pm
Quote from: Abyssal Maw;290818
OOC: Fargrim, make either a perception, insight, or diplomacy check, your choice (choose whatever is highest). DC is 15.


OOC- Well, Insight and Perception are both the same (+1).  Given the situation, I guess Insight would be more appropriate?

Insight Check hit DC 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1984729/).[/I]
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 18, 2009, 02:29:40 pm
Quote from: Drohem;290821


OOC- Well, Insight and Perception are both the same (+1).  Given the situation, I guess Insight would be more appropriate?

Insight Check hit DC 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1984729/).


The spectral child says nothing, but she seems agitated for a second. She turns away from the house and points west. towards the place where the blightzone begins. Her voice seems to drop an octave.

"~I have gone to the tower. I am only a shadow of myself now.. There are men who have come to kill me... I mean her. She is afraid. When her shell was broken, she came to take me away.~"

OOC:

That was actually a failure! She is getting increasingly agitated...
Successes=3
Failures=2
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 18, 2009, 02:59:28 pm
"We want to help you, but we need to know how to do that.", Ridcully says as he watches the little girl, "If you can tell us what we need to do we will fix everything."

OOC:

Diplomacy check: 18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1984796/)

Insight check: 17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1984799/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 18, 2009, 03:05:19 pm
Quote from: Sigmund;290838
"We want to help you, but we need to know how to do that.", Ridcully says as he watches the little girl, "If you can tell us what we need to do we will fix everything."

OOC:

Diplomacy check: 18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1984796/)

Insight check: 17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1984799/)



The girl turns towards Ridcully.

"~what's left to do? who is going to help me.. my shadow is deteriorating, I feel it being swallowed up by something dark.. something that came from the black wave. But my body is not dead. The witch lives on.. she has sent my soul away to make room for hers.

If you bring my shadow back to body that the witch now inhabits... I will fight her. I know how, now. I will fight her from the inside..

My doll is upstairs..I might go hide inside it for a while..."

 

OOC: This is like my favorite moment of a skill challenge. You have 5 success, and 2 failures. The next roll after this post will decide what happens. In any case, Ridcully was successful both in Diplomacy and insight..)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 18, 2009, 03:16:39 pm
A sad look crosses Fargrim's face momentarily as he looks at the little girl's ghostly visage.  

"We will help you, little one, we will help," Fargrim says with conviction, "the Witch shall fail, and we will recover your body.  We will recover your doll so you can hide while we find the Witch's lair.  What is your name, little one?"

==========================================================

OOC- someone else, or the NPC Stralor, will have to step up for final success, or failure on this skill challenge.  I'm not going to single-handedly blow this skill challenge for us, LOL!
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on March 18, 2009, 03:23:24 pm
"Little one," Edwena looks up from a bush.  "Do you know where your body or the witch might be?  Besides your doll, what else is up stairs?" Edwena whipsers

Diplomacy skill check. +5 trained, +1 for charisma. (1d20+6=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1984860/)

OOC: I hope I am doing this correctly?
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 18, 2009, 03:27:54 pm
Quote from: Venosha;290850
OOC: I hope I am doing this correctly?


OOC- You're doing great!:D  You're right on target! ;)[/I]
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 18, 2009, 03:51:06 pm
The spectral girl looks back at Edwena and says

"Your light is different."

Then for a second she looks around...and a strong cold wind seems to blow through the area. Her hair swirls around and becomes ectoplasmic tentacles and her face contorts.  

"The black wave is coming. It will come again and the blight will spread. The witch is angry about the men who came to kill her. She will destroy the town, and live in the body she took from me...in the ruins of the tower..."

She seems to return to a childlike form once again.

"The bearded skeletons are upstairs.. and my mother goes to the door calling for me..."

I cannot stay here much longer. I will hide in my doll. Bring my doll to the witch..."


She then shimmers and fades away.


OOC: 6 successes! Good job Venosha, that was a level 2 skill challenge worth 200 XP. Since we are back down to 4 players you each earn 50XP. Please mark it on your (edited) character sheet.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 18, 2009, 04:41:37 pm
(OOC: Sheet's edited.)

Shroom scowls, "I just knew there were going to be no cookies left... I hope that witch has chocolate chip when we find her!" He then assumes a neutral face, "The doll...upstairs in the farmhouse, right? Let's proceed."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 18, 2009, 06:42:30 pm
Ok, so you have eliminated the girl as a combatant in the assault on the farmhouse, and you now have to figure out how you are going to attack.

The door opens every few minutes or so.. as the zombie patrols. You could wait until it is upstairs and run in to attack both the two skels and the zombie together....or you could try and catch just the zombie outside where it is (seemingly) separated from the two dwarven skeletons.

Or anything else.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 18, 2009, 10:20:01 pm
Shroom gives his companions a big toothy smile as he waits in anticipation. "Well?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on March 19, 2009, 01:25:05 am
OOC: Sheet updated.  Since it is a new encounter I could re-roll for turn undead, or we could corner it when it heads upstairs.  I am game for any suggestions.

Edwena shivers as the little girl disappears from their sight, and begins to lower herself into a bush before the zombie comes charging out the door.  "Sounds like the zombie is the lost mommy, but I doubt it will negotiate with us, for I sense pure hostility," Edwena speaks softly.  "We ought to lay it's worries to rest, any suggestions?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 19, 2009, 11:35:50 am
Fargrim couldn't help but shiver and shudder a bit as the ghostly girl apparition disappeared before their eyes.  

"I think that we should try to catch the zombie by itself when it opens the back door again," Fargrim whispers while staring at the farmhouse.

==============================================================

OOC- Well, if you can turn undead again, go for it! LOL!  Otherwise, Fargrim falls back on his plan of trying to isolate the zombie and finish it off before the two dwarven skeletons notice or react.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 19, 2009, 12:03:36 pm
Shroom replies, "Very well. I hope this works but I know better." He then proceeds a safe distance away, preparing a barrage for the upcoming onslaught.


OOC: AM, let me know if I should re-roll my init and attacks.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 19, 2009, 01:00:49 pm
OOC: It seems like the plan is to wait until the zombie throws open the farmhouse door and then jump into attack it again. I'll use the old rolls for both Shroom and Edwena, but I need some basic tactics (and maybe some rolls) from Fargrim and Ridcully before we can run the encounter.

Also if Ulgrath finishes his character he might be able to join the group at that point.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 19, 2009, 01:12:48 pm
OOC- Fargrim's Initiative Check = 9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1986238/).  Fargrim's strategy is to Duel Strike the zombie into oblivion, trying to optimize Combat Advantage on every attack by flanking with either Stralor or Ridcully.

Round 1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1986242/)
Main hand hit AC 21 (23 w/ CA) for 5 damage
Off-hand hit AC 12 (14 w/ CA) for 6 damage
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 19, 2009, 06:09:59 pm
Ridcully prepares to pepper the zombie with sling bullets when the door opens.

Initiative: Doh, 6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1986540/)

First 2 attacks rolls: 24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1986542/), 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1986543/)

First 2 damage rolls: 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1986545/), 8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1986547/)

Initial tactics are to ping the thing tto redeath as Ridcully isn't keen on getting close to it, but if a good melee opportunity arises, he might change his mind, hence only 2 attacks initially.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: ulgrath on March 19, 2009, 09:15:19 pm
Wandering the area searching for undead to sleigh Vathalin see's the happenings at the farm house, and runs to join the impending battle.  with a yell "Final death to the unnatural beings"  a bright light flashes as Vathalin calls on Kelemvor's will
(casting Abjure Undead)

Initiative:13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1986871)
to hit: 17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1986860) vs will
damage:16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1986872)
and shift the undead 5 spaces closer to me

second attack
oath of enmity as minor action marking him
Bond of Pursuit
to hit 5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1986875) or 17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1986879) vs ac obviously taking the second
damage: 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1986881)

((hope this is right first play by post game))
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on March 19, 2009, 11:22:02 pm
Edwena awaits for the zombie to open the door as her power begins to surge inside her from Avandra.  'Please let your power help sustain this undead foe,' Edwena contemplates to herself.  Noting everyone in position, she places her morning star in her left hand as she evokes her prayer with her right.  


OOC: Then I will do the turn undead when the zombie opens the door if you are going to use the initial attack as a surprise attack. Tomorrow will be hard to post but I'll try for two post if possible.  Fill free to play my character if you need to AM. I have also rolled an initiative roll  if needed.

Roll for turn undead. +6 for Wis & CA. (1d20+6=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1983333/))
Damage for turn undead. (1d10+4=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1983318/)
Initiative roll (1d20=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987247/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 20, 2009, 12:02:05 am
Shroom acts as directed though begrudgingly.

OOC: Reposting my rolls from before; here's my intiative and my initial attacks - 3 magic missile and 1 force orb if 3 or more enemies are aligned; my tactics have not changed.

Initiative Roll (1d20+1=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1981616/)

Magic Missile Attack Rolls (1d20+3=5, 1d20+3=5, 1d20+3=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1981618/)

Magic Missile Damage Rolls (2d4+3=8, 2d4+3=6, 2d4+3=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1981621/)

Force Orb Primary Attack (1d20+3=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1981625/)

Force Orb Secondary Attack Rolls (1d20+3=18, 1d20+3=4, 1d20+3=11, 1d20+3=6, 1d20+3=20, 1d20+3=4, 1d20+3=22, 1d20+3=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1981627/)

Force Orb Primary Attack Damage (2d8+3=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1981633/)

Force Orb Secondary Attacks Damage (1d10+3=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1981634/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 20, 2009, 10:32:19 am
Ok, so just before you get ready to assault the farmhouse, Vathalin shows up. As a wandering Avenger, he has been searching the blight zone for signs of undead, and he happens on the farmhouse just as you begin your attacks.  

(OOC: hope that's cool with everyone, I was waiting for you guys to get all together).

You all shuffle out into the backyard area, arranged in a rough semi-circle, a good distance back (about 25 feet or so..) and ready your attacks for the zombie when it opens the door...

Initiative:

When the door opens up, you have all primed your attacks to be ready- the zombie is completely predictable, and you suddenly unleash your attacks on it.

(this is a free 'surprise' action)

The door slams open and the zombie appears, it's flesh dripping and pooling in gobs all around it, and then spontaneously regenerating. You can now tell it was vaguely female.. once.

Shroom's magic missile flies wide and shatters the door jamb into matchsticks.

Vathalin yells out something (""Final death to the unnatural beings!") and there is a flash of sudden white light that draws the zombie stumbling out of the house as if drawn by unnatural chains. It seems to burn under the radiance of his assault.*

The zombie howls with an unnatural moan. Fargrim than charges forward and uses his double axe to dual strike it, (he doesn't have far to go, now that Vathalin has pulled it forward). He hacks at it, with an expert slash, spinning his axe around.  

Edwena steps forward with her holy symbol and a second blast of light pours forth, similar to Vathalin's, and the flesh seems to boil away from the corruption corpse even further. It's spindly legs buckle and it turns and runs for the wall, to escape the burning radiance of Edwena's holy light. It collapses against the wall, clawing to get away.

Ridcully hit's it hard with a sling bullet. It now seems more pathetic than scary, it's blight-marked flesh sizzling and bubbling. He then looks up.. There's movement upstairs.. the two armored skeletons are coming down!

(At this point the undead roll for initiative)

Initiative repost:

The corruption corpse is clawing helplessly against the back wall of the farmhouse, but she still manages to reach down into her festering guts and scoops out a blackened handful of necrotic goo. She hurls it at Edwena, and it splats against her, covering her in necrotic filth. Edwena feels herself weakened as a wave of black energy washes over her.

Shroom casts another magic missile which fizzles.

Vathalin utters an oath of enmity (this is the first round he could have down it, because last round was a single action only...) and rushes forward to dispatch the corruption corpse with his greatsword. He makes a decisive thrust, which impales the pathetic creature.

And then.. the corruption corpse explodes, with a wet splatter, covering Vathalin in necrotic goo and festering maggots.

Fargrim looks at him and shrugs, holding his attack, and Edwena prepares herself.

The Armored dwarf skeletons clatter down the farmhouse stairs.. and appear in the doorway. One of them is armed with a double axe similar to Fargrim's weapon, but it seems to be covered with a thin sheet of crystalline frost on each end. The other has a warhammer and shield, as his companions did.

The two take up positions in the yard opposite from you. They ignore the cowering corruption corpse to their right.

Sigmund slots a second bullet and whizzes it at the dwarves but one holds up his shield and it bounces off, harmlessly.

Any change of tactics?

==========OOC==================
Shrooms missile, missed.

Vathalin's Abjure attack hit, and dragged the zombie (actually a corruption corpse) down the stairs and towards your group, easily within melee distance. It does 16 radiant damage,  which - although that doesn't do extra damage, it does shut down it's regeneration.

The Corruption corpse is now down to 30 hp.  

Fargrim's first attack (out of 2 for the dual strike) hits, doing 5 damage, so the corpse is down to 25, and now bloodied..

Edwena's 'turn undead' attack hit, reducing the corpse down to 18 hp (and very, very bloodied).

Ridcully's attack hit, reducing the creature down to 8 hit points.

At this point the undead roll for initiative:
Armored Dwarves
1d20+6=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987571/)
Corruption Corpse 1d20+3=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987573/)

The Corruption Corpse is pushed away (against the wall) and immobilized, but can still attack. She hurls a glob of necrotic filth at Edwena.. and it hits. (1d20+7=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987574/) vs Reflex)
It splats against her for 10 damage and Edwena is weakened (save ends)
(2d6+3=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987576/))

Shroom misses with another 5. (narrated as a fizzle)

Vathalin marks the corruption corpse, and moves forward to kill it with his greatsword-- Oath of enmity (this is the first round he could have down it, because last round was a single action only...) and his attack is a success. It does 10 damage, killing the corruption corpse, but unfortunatwly activating its death burst.
(1d20+7=25 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987633/) vs fortitude hits, doing
 2d6+3=5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987634/) damage)


Sorry, I posted an unfinished version of this before I got everything down. I accidentally skipped right to the skeletons coming downstairs. Fargrim and Edwena can hold their attacks until the Skeletons appear. We'll start at Fargrim next round.


*DM's note. The Avenger powers aren't in the compendium yet (but will be soon, I am going to assume Abjure Undead is radiant damage..)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 20, 2009, 11:23:00 am
Fargrim doesn't know what to make of the undead's goo, but that quickly evaporates as the two ancient kinsmen line up together in the backyard.  Being a double axe specialist himself, Fargrim knows just how deadly the skeleton could be to his companions.  Without saying a word, Fargrim has choosen his opponent- the skeleton with the double axe.

Fargrim surges forward with the battle cry, "CLAN COPPERPOT!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Round 2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987646/)
Main hand hit AC 7 (9 w/ CA) for 9 damage
Off-hand hit AC 15 (17 w/ CA) for 6 damage
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 20, 2009, 12:11:55 pm
Reposting initiative and starting with Fargrim.


Fargrim locks onto the dwarf wielding the frost double axe. He then charges in yelling "Clan Copperpot!", and swings wildly.. the dwarven skeleton parries him and matches him, blow for blow. The two are now squared off against each other.

Edwena uses a lance of faith- and a ray of divine light springs forth, but it narrowly misses.

The armored dwarven skeletons circle Fargrim (who has closed to melee distance with them) and the unmarked one moves to flank him, so that now one stands on either side. The first one strikes with his warhammer, slamming into the now flanked Fargrim with a glancing blow.

Then the double-axe wielder attacks hitting twice, with one particularly solid blow. There is a sudden flare of frost.. and a series of crystalline runes appear down the twin singing blades of the axe. Fargrim feels the axe bite into his armor and waves of magical cold coursing through him. He will not survive another hit like that...

Fargrim has a sudden memory of the lost double-axe Glamerding- a weapon used by a hero, lost hundreds of years ago...

Ridcully springs forward bravely to flank the axe-wielding dwarf with Fargrim, and drives his dagger into it's back. It lurches backwards for a second.. unsure what to do, but seems somewhat undaunted.

Ridcully feels sure he can keep the pain up.

Shroom gets ready to throw his force orb.. but groans as Ridcully dashes in between the two armored skeletons. He casts a third magic missile which blasts a hole in the farmhouse wall.

Up next is Vathalin. I will wait for more tactics (also jn case people want to consider healing or second wind-ing or whatever...)

 

==========OOC==============
Fargrims two attacks miss! He marks his opponent.

Edwena (did not give me enough attacks to go on, but I'll have her use Lance of faith). She rolls a 1d20+4=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987659/) vs reflex, which misses.

The dwarves attack, with the hammer wielding skeleton moving first to flank Fargrim, and attacking, then the great axe wielder attacking.

The hammer wielder strikes: 1d20+12=24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987670/) and hits for 1d8+2=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987675/) damage.

The double axe wielder attacks:
1d20+13=33, 1d20+13=27 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987677/).. a natural 20! And that was a magical weapon.

Damage is 1d10+1d6+13=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987688/)
(thats a 1d10+3, plus a crit (max damage)+1d6.)

WARNING: Fargrim is down 23-- he is currently at 8 hit points.

Ridcully went ahead and flanked, and used a sly flourish, hitting with a 1d20+9=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987707/). He does 1d4+2d8+7=23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987713/) damage! The Axe-wielder is an elite, and drops down to 67 hp. It is not yet bloodied.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 20, 2009, 03:40:59 pm
Shroom scowls as his attacks miss. Blinking feverishly, the eladrin exclaims, "Not the time to dry out." He pulls out a wet towelette from his satchet and proceeds to dab his eyeballs before proceeding with another volley of magical attacks.


OOC: Shroom will spent an action point on his first turn to make an additional magic missile attack. He will then proceed on the next two turns with magic missiles since Ridicully hates him. :P

Magic Missile Attack and Damage Rolls (1d20+3=11, 2d4+3=7, 1d20+3=11, 2d4+3=7, 1d20+3=6, 2d4+3=10, 1d20+3=12, 2d4+3=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987955/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 20, 2009, 03:49:13 pm
Fargrim suddenly realizes that this is no mere double axe, or typical skeleton.  Knowing that his life and death is skating on a razor's edge, Fargrim renews his intensity and vigor in his double axe attack katas.

===================================================

OOC- As a Minor Action, Fargrim uses his Second Wind and gains 7 hit points.

Round 3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987958/): Fargrim missed with both attacks of his Duel Strike.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: ulgrath on March 20, 2009, 04:11:45 pm
seeing Fargrim take up one of the skeletons Vathalin will run to the other a scowl set on his face. "blasted unatural beasts" speaking the oath of enmity and following up with a strike of his greatsword.

Bond of Pursuit
hit 10,10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987994/)
damage: 6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1987998/)

ooc:  for the dm's convinence the powers I have are now in the ooc channle for you all typed nice and neat like lol.  and bond of pursuit is my hand to hand attack the other my ranged for the most part I will just be a hacking zelot during combat :-P
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on March 20, 2009, 09:37:55 pm
Edwena catches her breath as she notices Fargrim's weaken state.  She whispers a brief prayer to heal herself, the dwarf and other in close range.  Once the healing is finished she prays once more to Avandra for Divine Glow against the axe wielding skeleton dwarf. "Oh wise Avandra, give me light to stop this powerful being!"


OOC:  If Fargrim has a healing surge I will offer the healing word to help boost his HPs.  I have a close burst 5 so how many others would you allow to heal around me? I will be using one healing surge.  H. Word is a minor action, and D.Glow is my standard.    Next round I will use Priest Shield if I am in range to use a melee attack.  

Second exchange
Divine Glow roll. (1d20+4=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1988344/)
Damage for D.G. (1d8+4=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1988347/)

Third exchange
For P.Shield attack and damage. (1d20+2=7, 1d10+2=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1989785/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 21, 2009, 01:03:22 am
Ridcully will use Sly Flourish, using his quickness and deceptiveness to keep the skeleton off balance, then follow with another Sly Flourish. OOC: If my flank goes away I will slip in SLy Lunge to get combat advantage.

Sly Flourish: To hit = 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1988695/), Damage = 12 (forgot to add the cha) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1988700/)

Sly Flourish: To hit = 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1988716/), Damage (if any) =  16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1988728/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 22, 2009, 09:03:24 pm
Quote from: Venosha;291489
OOC:  If Fargrim has a healing surge I will offer the healing word to help boost his HPs.  I have a close burst 5 so how many others would you allow to heal around me? I will be using one healing surge.


OOC- Thanks!  Fargrim does have a surge and can sure use one right about now!  So, for this fight he's used two surges and healed back 14 hit points.

Round 4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1991085/)
First strike hit AC 22 for 10 damage
Second strike hit AC 9 for 12 damage
[/I]
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 23, 2009, 05:18:34 pm
OOC: Hi guys, I am here, I am traveling for work- just settled down in San Antonio and finished for the day so I should have this updated soon. sorry for the delay.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: ulgrath on March 23, 2009, 05:20:59 pm
ooc: no problem real life first right lol
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 24, 2009, 02:53:52 pm
OOC: I'm back! but posting intermittent, as I still haven't traveled home yet.

(initiative repost, starting with Vathalin!)



Vathalin mutters an Oath of Pursuit and suddenly engages the other (hammer wielding) skeleton. He misses twice... but not he has that one flanked between him and Fargrim as well.

Fargrim coughs up a mouthful of blood and steels himself (healing back 7) he makes two more swipes and misses.

Edwena catches her breath as she notices Fargrim's injured state. She whispers a brief prayer to heal herself, the dwarf and any others in close range. A shimmering effect seems to surround them for a moment. Once the healing is finished Edwena prays once more to Avandra for Divine Glow against the axe wielding skeleton dwarf.

 "Oh wise Avandra, give me light to stop this powerful being!"*

The divine glow that springs forth seems to damage both of the skeletons slightly... the pure light causes their skeletons to corrode and crackle, but the effect soon fades. Still, you are certain that they are vulnerable to radiance.  

The skeletons attack again, but this time one turns to face Vathalin. It lands a glancing blow with it's warhammer-- but Vathalin is undeterred.

The double-axe wielder keeps the pressure up on the now-wounded Fargrim, who remains flanked between the two skeletons. Both attacks connect with grim efficiency. Fargrim is badly wounded again, but battles on with determination.

Ridcully, meanwhile sinks another backstab on the elite. It staggers, and lurches around, unsure what to make of it's sly halfling attacker.

Shroom unleashes a cluster of magic missiles which fly wildly all over the backyard, one of which narrowly misses Ridcully.

Up next is Vathalin! Just need to know if any battle tactics change...







==============
*Once Edwena makes her healing attempt, Fargrim is back up to 22 hp. Her divine glow does 5 damage, but their vulnerability doubles to 10 damage on each one. At this point the elite is at 57, and the other one is at 35. Neither is bloodied.

The skeletons attack.

The warhammer wielder attacks Vathalin. 1d20+10=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1993846/) Hitting for 4 damage. 1d8+2=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1993851/)

The axe-wielder keeps up the attacks on Fargrim, and hits twice (1d20+13=32, 1d20+13=28 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1993853/))- yes, these are high rolls. The attacks damage totals 14, which is the same amount he spent healing last round!
(1d20+13=32, 1d20+13=28 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1993853/)). I hope you guys hit this guy soon!

Ridcully backstabs (he's still flanking, and a 20 hits). He does 12 +an additional 2d8=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1993873/) for the sneak attack. The elite axe-wielder is now down to 38 hp and is officially bloodied.

Shrooms first two attacks miss (action point and all! sorry.. man the dice hate you).
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: ulgrath on March 24, 2009, 04:29:35 pm
Vathalin continues pressing the attack not giving up till the skeleton falls.  

Bond of Pursuit
hit: 10,21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994046/)
taking the 21
damage: 5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994049/)

next round
Bond of Pursuit
hit:22,8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994051/)
taking the 22
damage: 5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994052/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on March 24, 2009, 06:09:12 pm
Edwena will continue her pursuit on the double-axe wielding skeleton by interchanging Priest Shield, and Lance of Faith.  Doing her best to draw the skeleton's attention away from his attack on Fargrim.

OOC: Hope this is what your looking for AM?

Fourth Exchange
Priest Sheild attack (1d20+2=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994175/)
P.Sheild damage. (1d10+2=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994195/)

Fifth Exchange
Lance of faith attack and damage. (1d20+4=8, 1d8+4=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994171/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 24, 2009, 06:21:45 pm
(initiative repost, starting with Vathalin again...!)

    * Shroom 19
    * Vathalin 13
    * Fargrim 9
    * Edwena 8
    * Armored Dwarf Skeletons 7
    * Ridcully 6

Vathalin doggedly pursues the now-flanked hammer-wielding skeleton with his Bond of Pursuit, landing a decidedly solid overhead blow at the end of an elaborate series of feints.

Fargrim follows up with a desperate chop (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1991085/) on the skeleton wielding the double axe.

Edwena tries to heal Fargrim again with her second healing word-- and Fargrim feels himself strengthened and eneergized by the faith of Edwena's magic. She tries to use a priests shield to help shield Fargrim, but misses.

The skeletons attack again:

The hammer wielder squares off against Vathalin, and 1d20+10=11 (http://[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994232/)]swings wide.[/URL] Vathalin sidesteps the blow easily.

The axe-wielding skeleton seems to hiss dryly as it lunges forward and lands two vicious blows that find their way once again past Fargrim's defenses. Fargrim is hit twice, and blood spatters the blackened earth. You are certain he will not last another attack.

Ridcully makes another attempt at a sneak attack and is batted aside by the axe-wielding skeleton (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1988716/) this time. It turns once again to face Fargrim.

Shroom launches another magic missile which flies wide and punches out a window on the lower floor of the farmhouse.

Vathalin attacks again, doggedly pursuing the hammer-wielding skeleton. He hits it again, and the bones seem to crackle under the weight of his greatsword. It is slowly but surely being worn to pieces.

Next round starts  with Fargrim, who better have something good!


====OOC===
Vathalin's attack hits for 5 damage. The hammer wielding skeleton is now down to 30, not yet bloodied.

Fargrim hit also for 10 damage, (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1991085/) reducing the elite skeleton to 28. It is bloodied.

Edwena was going to use priests shield, but it makes sense for her to use a second healing word (she gets 2 per encounter) at this point, since Fargrim is about to get whacked. She can still do her Priests shield (which misses...)
It can only heal one person at a time, but it can be anyone within that close burst of 5 distance, btw, Venosha..

Edwena's healing word does 7+4 (wisdom bonus)+3 (1d6 roll, averaged..), so Fargrim heals back 14. He is up to 22 hp again.

The skels attack:

the warhammer-wielding skeleton misses vathalin with an 11. 1d20+10=11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994232/)

The double-axe wielder keeps attacking Fargrim, and hits twice (1d20+13=22, 1d20+13=28 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994234/)). he takes 16 damage and is reduced now to 6 hit points, with no more healing in sight. (1d8+3=9, 1d8+3=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994235/))

Ridcully's attack is a miss (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1988716/).

Vathalin's second attack is a hit, for another 5 damage. The hammer skeleton is reduced to 25, not yet bloodied.

Fargrim is down to 6 hit points.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 24, 2009, 08:28:27 pm
Fargrim digs deep into his dwarven resolves and launches into a flurry of whirling axe heads, raining blows upon the skeleton, while using his position opposite of Ridcully.

===========================================

As a Free Action, Fargrim spends his Action Point to take an extra Standard Action this round, which will be Duel Strike again.

Round 5 (1st action) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994380/)
1st strike hit AC 18 for 6 damage
2nd strike hit AC 19 for 12 damage

Round 5 (2nd action) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994392/)
1st strike hit AC 26 for 5 damage
2nd strike hit AC 9 for 12 damage

Quote from: Abyssal Maw;292351
Next round starts  with Fargrim, who better have something good!


you're kidding, right?  He's spent his daily already, and Bellringer isn't going to be of any use here.  So, all he's left with is spamming his at-will attacks.[/I]
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on March 24, 2009, 09:27:28 pm
OOC: Since we are in combat, is Fargrim not allowed to use a second wind or more surges?
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 24, 2009, 09:29:27 pm
Quote from: Venosha;292389
OOC: Since we are in combat, is Fargrim not allowed to use a second wind or more surges?

OOC: he popped his second wind last round, and you've healed him twice. I'm kinda waiting on Ridcully's posting of his sneak attack to see if that drops the axe-wielding skeleton..

dwarves are very tough, but Fargrim is fighting an elite monster here! Vathalin is fighting the other skeleton, so it's only Edwena and Fargrims attack that will bring it down before the rounds end. I will go ahead and get through that part of the round.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: ulgrath on March 24, 2009, 09:34:36 pm
ooc I can switch targets if you would like just trying to keep the others off of you guys is all
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 24, 2009, 09:45:28 pm
Repost of initiative, starting with Fargrim!

* Shroom 19
* Vathalin 13
* Fargrim 9
* Edwena 8
* Armored Dwarf Skeletons 7
* Ridcully 6

Fargrim digs deep into his dwarven resolves and launches into a flurry of whirling axe heads, raining blows upon the skeleton (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994380/), while using his position opposite of Ridcully.

Edwena than rushes forward and dispatches the axe-wielding skeleton with her priests shield (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994175/).

The elite skeleton drops to the ground in a clatter of bones, with it's magical frost double axe atop the heap.

The second skeleton attacks Vathalin, landing another glancing blow (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994482/). Vathalin shrugs it off and keeps on the skeleton.

Next up is Ridcully!


===OOC===

Fargrim may have pulled it out by using his action point! He hits three times with 3 out of 4 of his dual strikes connecting. he does a total of 23 damage, leaving the axe-wielder with 2 hit points.

Edwena's attack at that point kills the axe wielder. It drops in a clatter of bones. (You may cheer now..)

The hammer-wielder attacks Vathalin and hits. (1d20+10=28 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994482/)) for 1d8+2=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994484/) damage. Vathalin is at 16 hp.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 24, 2009, 09:51:10 pm
OOC- Edwena dispatched him with authoriteee!
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: ulgrath on March 24, 2009, 09:59:03 pm
with renewed faith, after seeing one of the undead felled Vathalin continues his attacks.

Bond of Pursuit
hit: 6,10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994508/)
taking the 10
damage: 14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994510/)

next round
Bond of Pursuit
hit:10,18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994511/)
taking the 18
damage: 14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994513/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 25, 2009, 12:25:59 am
OOC- In case it's necessary, here are Fargrim's attacks on the skeleton with the warhammer.  He's using Duel Strike with combat advantage due to flanking.

Round 6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994648/)
1st strike hit AC 13 for 11 damage
2nd strike hit AC 24 for 8 damage
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 25, 2009, 12:59:46 am
Seeing the resilient skeleton finally fall, Ridcully turns and whips his dagger at the hammer wielding skeleton.

OOC: Sly Flourish - Hit=23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994672/), Damage=18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994674/) (if I'm reading the roller right that is)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 25, 2009, 08:23:54 pm
(initiative repost, starting with Ridcully!)

    * Shroom 19
    * Vathalin 13
    * Fargrim 9
    * Edwena 8
    * Armored Dwarf Skeletons 7
    * Sigmund 6

Seeing the resilient skeleton finally fall, Ridcully turns and whips his dagger at the hammer-wielding skeleton... and hitting it. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994672/)

Vathalin's slashing attack misses, but Fargrim finishes it off.   (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1994648/)

The final skeleton drops with a clatter of bones.

Just as the last combatant drops Fargrim drops to one knee involuntarily to catch his breath.

Dusk is gathering in.

The farmhouse is relatively secure for the night, even with all the holes Shroom punched in the walls.


=============OOC================

That combat was worth 725 XP! (so .. 145 XP each, please mark it on your charsheet).

And it was a close one for Fargrim. You have now brought down 7 out of the 12 of the dwarven skeletons.

You have yet to search the farmhouse, and you can even try trekking back to town under cover of darkness. Or anything else.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: ulgrath on March 25, 2009, 08:52:12 pm
wiping his greatsword on his cloak Vathalin takes a deep breath.  "bloody undead scour this land like a plague it is nice to send a few back to the hell in which they came.   What brings you lot to this forsaken place?"  He stands there his mouth turned up in a scowl at the mention of undead seemingly unconcerned that he is covered in the pus from the undead explosion earlier.  Most of his outfit is torn and dirty however the weapons are clean and in good repair.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 26, 2009, 01:56:44 am
Fargrim looks at Vathalin and says, "the Father of Battles sent you to aid us in our most desperate hour."

Fargrim holds out his arm in a gesture of friendship while saying, "I am Fargrim, son of Orsik, from Copperpot Hold."

Gesturing towards each as he introduces them, Fargrim continues, "this is Mistress Edwena, Priestess of Avandra.  This is Master Ridcully, Knife-Fighter.  This is Shroom, Master of the Arcane Arts.  This is Lord Stralor, Paladin of Pelor."

Fargrim takes a drink from his water skin and says, "We have banded together to put to rest my Undead kinsmen.  These two here brings our total up to seven out of twelve.  We spotted the ghost of a little girl here, in this backyard.  Then we spotted the putrid zombie.  We talked to the girl ghost, and the Witch took her body.  The Witch is responsible for the tide of evil and waves of Undead magic in the region.  We should put down the rest of the roaming Undead dwarven kinsmen.  Then we should find the Witch and save the little girl's body, if possible, and finish this Witch off permanently.  Well, we should search the farmhouse and set up camp for the night.  What do you think?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 26, 2009, 01:58:22 am
Shroom gasps at all of the property damage he has done, "We should find the others before the creditors appear."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: ulgrath on March 26, 2009, 02:15:38 am
Vathalin nods at the introductions.  "I am Vathalin Kelemvor guides my hand to this task my sword is yours if you will have me."  Dropping his pack to the ground with a grin Vathalin states " I am ready to move on but if you need rest master Fargrim we can set camp here for the night"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on March 26, 2009, 10:51:52 am
Edwena nods at Fargrims suggestion as her finger circles one of the holes Shroom produced during the battle.  "I will head up stairs and check out the doll the two skeletons were protecting," she look towards the group.  "Anyone care to join me?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 26, 2009, 12:34:28 pm
"Given the necrotic doings about here lately, I think wise that we stay together as we search the house," Fargrim says looking around dilapidated farmhouse.

----------------------------------------

OOC- We'll search the house, and then we'll take an extended rest.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 26, 2009, 03:44:12 pm
First, the axe-wielding skeleton was using a +1 frost double axe.

You all head inside the house, which is filthy, and smells terrible- but is in an otherwise repairable state. There is old wooden furniture (sturdy- Fargrim notes that it looks like it was bought from dwarven woodworkers) and a few faded and worn rugs-- the corruption corpse zombie had worn a sort of path from the upstairs to the door and back.

Edwena discovers the doll laying in an upstairs room where the dwarven skeletons had been standing. Inside the upstairs bedroom, you also find 96 gold pieces, and a decorative censer worth 135 gold, as well as a collection of carved wooden icons depicting a group of musicians. The collection is worth 125 gold.

After a thorough search of the downstairs, Ridcully also turns up a trapdoor leading down a steep rickety set of stairs, down into the basement.

You secure the house as well as you can and take an extended rest.

The next day, you all awake, each of you having dreamed of a laughing old hag.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 26, 2009, 03:54:53 pm
Shroom awakens from his brief nap, muttering "....there she is. Did you bring any cookies? Now where are they?" Sitting up, he looks around, "...Oh humbug."

The eladrin then gathers up his things and eyes the trapdoor into the basement enthusiastically with a toothy grin, saying "Downstairs surely has its possibilities - all dire, of course."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on March 26, 2009, 05:32:11 pm
Awaken by a cackling hag, Edwena picks up her bed roll and walks around the farmhouse silently trying not to disturb the others as she looks for a place to pray.  Wandering down the stairs she gently touches the walls as she descends.  

She holds the tiny doll in her hand as the dream keeps replaying in her head.  Edwena heads out the door to find a tree for her prayers and awaits the others as they awake.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 26, 2009, 11:23:08 pm
"Ugh, I had a dream about some old human lady, wonder why.", Ridcully says sleepily as he rolls up his bedroll. He packs his gear, pats down his weapons to be sure he has them all, and gathers sling bullets and promising stones until everyone is ready.

OOC: While searching for stones, Ridcully will see what else he might find , jic :)

Active Perception: 19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1997187/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on March 27, 2009, 08:13:34 pm
Edwena finishes up her prayer underneath a maple tree and brushes herself off as she heads towards the farmhouse.  She notices that Shroom and Ridcully are wandering about, as she steps in to find the others.  "So," she looks around "Where should we start hunting for the other five dwarfs who need their eternal sleep?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 28, 2009, 04:06:24 pm
OOC- AM, do we have any information on where the other dwarven undead might be located?  Or, are we totally in the dark on it?
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 30, 2009, 10:32:20 am
Quote from: Drohem;292988
OOC- AM, do we have any information on where the other dwarven undead might be located?  Or, are we totally in the dark on it?


There have been "sightings" of the dwarven undead-- at the orchard, in the blight zone, and also somewhat west of the blight zone in a place called Lake Icemere.

General regional info: other fell creatures are rumored to haunt Lake Icemere as well.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 30, 2009, 10:39:23 am
Quote from: Sigmund;292775
"Ugh, I had a dream about some old human lady, wonder why.", Ridcully says sleepily as he rolls up his bedroll. He packs his gear, pats down his weapons to be sure he has them all, and gathers sling bullets and promising stones until everyone is ready.

OOC: While searching for stones, Ridcully will see what else he might find , jic :)

Active Perception: 19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1997187/)


Ridcully wanders around outdoors for a while searching for promising looking stones, and finds a few interesting ones.. incuding a shiny piece of quartz and a pair of polished river pebbles.. but his eye is caught by the fleeting shadow of a large flying creature that wings overhead.

Shielding his eyes against the morning glare, he sees what looks like a flying drake or reptile of some kind.. mounted by a rider armed with some kind of lance. It hasn't noticed him, and Ridcully easily steps into the shade of a gnarled tree to avoid being seen.

The reptile and its mount simply circle the orchard (at an altitude of about 80 feet..) and then turn on glide and soar towards the ruins of the tower at the center of the blight zone.

As they turn tail, Ridcully can see that the reptilian creature looks a bit draconic, but much more like a raptor of some kind-- it has only a pair of sturdy rear legs, and powerful reptilian wings. A long, whiplike tail with a distinctive stinger swings behind it.

It soars out of sight.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 30, 2009, 10:40:01 am
Quote from: Venosha;292875
Edwena finishes up her prayer underneath a maple tree and brushes herself off as she heads towards the farmhouse.  She notices that Shroom and Ridcully are wandering about, as she steps in to find the others.  "So," she looks around "Where should we start hunting for the other five dwarfs who need their eternal sleep?"


Fargrim looks hard and thoughtful for a moment and says, "for my Undead kinsmen, there is no coming back.  There is only re-consecrating their remains once they've been destroyed.  This little girl... her body still lives and we have a chance to bring her soul and body back into the natural union.  The unholy curse this Witch has put on the girl is horrendous.  This Witch has stolen this little girl's body.  I could not face the shame knowing that we had a chance to save her, and we passed it by.  I say we make for the Tower ruins and find this Witch and take her to account for her evil deeds."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 30, 2009, 10:40:18 am
And finally:

What are your plans?
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on March 30, 2009, 11:19:12 am
Edwena turns to acknowledge Fargrim.  She nods her head slowly at his words as she hold the doll up once more.  "Then I second the notion of  heading to the Tower ruins, and I am ready when you are,"  she remarks as she places the doll in a secure spot in her backpack.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 30, 2009, 12:44:36 pm
"Hey, I saw a dragon!", Ridcully cries as he reappears in front of the group. "I saw a dragon flying towards where that old tower is supposed to be! There was some human guy riding it, but it was a dragon! I wonder how big his hoard is. Yay we're going to the tower and we're gonna see a dragon.... and his hoard... big hoard!" Ridcully grins with a self-satisfied expression and hops up and down. "We ready? Let's go. You guys ready? Hey, look at these pretty stones I found." He holds up the quartz and polished river pebbles.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 30, 2009, 01:48:22 pm
Shroom drools readily with a toothy grin and fully open eyes, "Let's go - I wish to raid her cabinets!"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 30, 2009, 03:07:19 pm
Fargrim looks at Ridcully blankly for a moment and then says, "a dragon you say.  We should certainly be cautious.  So, it's agreed.  We make for the tower ruins."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 30, 2009, 05:13:33 pm
"Yep, he had two wings, two legs, a big tail with a stinger thingie, and a big mouth full of big teeth, and he was flying around in circles a bit, then flew that way.", Ridcully says as he points vaguely in the direction of the tower. "I'm ready, let's go.", he says and he starts walking off in the direction he just pointed.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 31, 2009, 11:11:46 am
Your group gathers your gear and heads off towards the center of the blight, crossing the tea tree orchard. When you reach the outskirts you can see that the edge of a stone garden wall has been tumbled as if by some powerful blast, and several dead trees are blown over (all in one direction, they are laying on their sides) and mouldering into the blackened earth as well.

Finally, you reach the blight itself.

There is no vegetation at all here-- the earth is black and soft- moist, but not fertile. Stones and sharp rocks litter the area in places, and there are strange pools of a black tar-like oil and filth that have a foul smell to them. Occasionally, you pass by a jutting bone or skull.. and after a bit of investigation you determine that there are orc bones in the area.

In the distance you can see the edge of the ruins, on the horizon, still a few miles out.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
....

   ....

After much walking you come to a shallow basin where a rough path starts, that seems to lead to the ruins. The path is not very well defined, but it is obvious that a group has been using it to circle the ruins, and it heads back south towards the valley's edge.

Both Fargrim and Edwena suspect orcs... just from the look of the path.

Your group follows the path for a while when you see the "camp"--

Just outside the ruins- you find yourselves crouched, unseen, on a low hill overlooking what looks like a massive ditch. The remaining walls of the tower- which you can now see are blackened stone decorated with a gargoyle motif rise behind the ditch, and extend down into the ground. Crumbling wedge-works and archways and twisted metal from some kind of spidery-looking alien apparatus are piled into a nearby junk heap of some sort.

So the tower itself is almost completely destroyed--   lots of rubble. There is no visible entrance on the ground floor, but in the ditch, they seem to have dug their way down to a crude cave-like opening in the blackened earth.
Standing on either side of the cave opening is an orcish guard armed with a belly-bow.  A third orc-- what looks like an orc anyhow, stands off to ne side-- his skin is tattooed with a myriad of spirals and interlocking designs, and his hair is dyed bright magenta. The freakish orc is off to one side.. talking to the archers.. but you are too far away to hear anything. He is armed with a greataxe.

From your hidden vantage point you can also see an ominous humanoid figure dressed in filthy purple robes directing an excavataion on the far side of the ditch. He seems to be commanding a group of shovelers.. more orcs, by the look of them. But these orcs are shirtless, clad in only rags, and even from a distance they look to have been horrifically injured. They move with a lurching stiffness that seems unnatural- Edwena  thinks they may be zombies.

OOC: This is a large complicated group and setup-- so I'll break it down:

Standing inside the ditch, near the opening to the tower ruins:
2 orcish archers
1 orcish freak

Standing off to the edge- inside the ditch, working on digging it out:
4 zombie orcs, armed with shovels.

Standing just atop the ditch directing the shovelers with his back turned to you: the purple-robed figure.

There is a large ditch, about 20' deep at it's highest spot, but accessible through a shallow dirt ramp.

There is a large pile of junk and rubble nearby that could let you get closer.

There is a small section of rubble nearby which might allow a single character to hide behind or get closer.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 31, 2009, 12:51:29 pm
Shroom looks, "Purple...that's an inauspicious color..."

OOC: Making an Arcana check to determine whether it has any arcane significance.

Arcana Check (1d20+11=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2002769/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 31, 2009, 01:08:32 pm
Quote from: DeadUematsu;293415
Shroom looks, "Purple...that's an inauspicious color..."

OOC: Making an Arcana check to determine whether it has any arcane significance.

Arcana Check (1d20+11=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2002769/)


The purple itself isn't of arcane significance, but the way he commands the zombie shovelers is.. you recognize the flourish of an accomplished necromancer.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 31, 2009, 01:28:18 pm
OCC- Are the two groups close enough to hear it of one group was attacked?  If we attacked the necromancer and the zombies, would the orcs at the cave entrance automatically be alerted?  Is there a chance that they might not hear an attack right away?
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 31, 2009, 02:04:32 pm
Quote from: Drohem;293430
OCC- Are the two groups close enough to hear it of one group was attacked?  If we attacked the necromancer and the zombies, would the orcs at the cave entrance automatically be alerted?  Is there a chance that they might not hear an attack right away?


If you attack one group- they will all be alerted.. they are close enough to where it would be obvious. The orcs seem to be guarding the entrance, and the diggers are excavating about 40' from the entrance. Both groups are  easily in sight of each other.

However, there are three directions to attack from (and you guys may have other plans). Here are some options:

1. You could launch your attacks at the orcs guarding the entrance, and it would take a full round for the zombie group to get over there.

2. You could launch your attacks at the diggers, and the orcs would have a full round to arrive, if they chose to run over and battle. Note that 2 of the orcs are armed with belly-bows-- these are oversized crossbows that hang from harnesses around their waists. So they may not bother to run over, they might just shoot at you. Your instinct tells you.. those mini-ballistas could do a lot of damage.

3. You could run right up the middle and at that point it would be chaos, but close enough for everyone to be fighting all at once.

4. You might be able to ambush the necromancer- he is closest, or push him over the ledge into the ditch. (20' drop), which will buy you a round as the necromancer (if he survives..) comes back around with the zombies and the orcs in a unified group.. but this has the same effect as plan #2- the orcs will probably start shooting, or they may alert reinforcements.

5. If you had good missile attacks, you might be able to buy a round of time by attacking and then backing up around the junk heap I mentioned, but that round might also be a round the orcs spend getting help.
 
6. Any other plans?
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 31, 2009, 02:26:14 pm
Fargrim slides back down their side of the low hill and whispers to his companions, "this is going to be a tough, but our options are limited.  If we try to ambush the necromancer and it fails, then we'll have to engage him and zombie while being peppered by the orcs.  We can't risk it.  I think that our best option is to get as close as possible to the orc guards, and then launch a surprise attack.  We take them down as quickly as possible, and then be ready to engage the necromancer and zombie orcs as they come to relief the entrance guards.  I really don't see another way.  What do you think?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 31, 2009, 02:47:20 pm
Shroom coughs, "Sounds like the plan least likely to fail."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 31, 2009, 03:13:10 pm
As far as Shroom is concerned: He can catch all three orcs in a small explosion if he aims it right. he can catch all four zombie shovelers in an explosion if he aims it right. The necromancer stands alone.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on March 31, 2009, 06:26:09 pm
Ridcully whispers, "I'm with you Fargrim." He readies a dagger to throw, and prepares to follow the dwarf into battle.

OOC:

Initiative = 17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2003233/)

1st attack:
First will be a ranged attack with a thrown dagger at the left orc archer = 17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2003236/), damage = 6, 14 if I beat his init. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2003238/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on March 31, 2009, 07:56:15 pm
ok, initiative rolls! and a general combat strategy...
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on March 31, 2009, 08:51:32 pm
Shroom clicks his teeth, surprised by the halfling's sudden movement, "Wait a second, I was not ready! Oh nevermind!" He moves forward and then throws out a Force Orb hoping to decimate the monstrous undead. Assuming he's still alive, he will then move back, covering his flight with a shot of thunderwave and a magic missile.


OOC: I will be using Force Orb regardless of allies being caught in the AoE - assuming that becomes the case.


Init (1d20+1=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2003451/)

Force Orb Primary Attack (1d20+3=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2003452/)

Force Orb Secondary Attacks (1d20+3=22, 1d20+3=23, 1d20+3=9, 1d20+3=7, 1d20+3=15, 1d20+3=19, 1d20+3=9, 1d20+3=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2003454/)

Thunderwave Attack (1d20+3=7, 1d20+3=10, 1d20+3=10, 1d20+3=20, 1d20+3=11, 1d20+3=4, 1d20+3=11, 1d20+3=16, 1d20+3=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2003455/)

Magic Missile Attack (1d20+3=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2003459/)

Force Orb Primary Attack Damage (2d8+3=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2003463/)

Force Orb Secondary Attack Damage (1d10+3=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2003464/)

Thunder Wave Attack Damage (will push target back 3 squares if it hits) (1d6+3=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2003467/)

Magic Missile Attack Damage (2d4+3=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2003468/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on March 31, 2009, 09:50:48 pm
Bolstered by Ridcully's steadfastness, Fargrim charges forth from their hiding spot behind the rubbish heap, and slams full bore into the magenta-haired orc swinging his double axe.

----------------------------------------------

OOC:
Fargrim's Initiative check = 16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2003498/)

Standard Action
Fargrim's Bell Ringer attack hit Fortitude 26 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2003511/) doing 3 damage and target is dazed until the end of Fargrim's next turn.  Fargrim also gains 3 temporary hit points.

Free Action
Fargrim uses his Action Point to gain an extra Standard Action this round.

Standard Action
Fargrim's Knee Breaker attack hit AC 18 for 16 damage. (http://slowed (save ends). If the target is already slowed, it is)  If hit, target is slowed (save ends).  If the target is already slowed, it is instead immobilized (save ends).  Also, Fargrim gains 3 temporary hit points. If missed, then half damage only.  I forgot, this attack is at +2 attack due to combat advantage from being hit by the Bell Ringer attack (I hope the orc doesn't have a 27 Fort!), and so it really hit AC 20.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 01, 2009, 11:17:47 am
OOC: I'm about to go to lunch with the girlfriend...but since we don't have initiative from everyone yet I'm going to go ahead and roll it myself:

For those of you that got your init rolls in already, I'll even boost them by +2! and let you act in the surprise round...

Edwena 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2004199/)
Ridcully 19
Fargrim 18
Shroom 10
Vathalin 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2004200/)

Most of you are targeting the orcs, and Fargrim is charging them. Shroom explicitly said he was going to force orb the undead, which is the shovelers. For those of you who rolled init, you have a surprise round. Then we go into regular rounds.

Starting with Ridcully-- he stands up and runs foward down the embankment, hurling his dagger.. which catches the archer on the left in the neck. Blood splashes out at his companion, and the other orcs look up surprised.

Fargrim rushes past Ridcully and slams into the orc with the mohawk with a powerful shoulder slam... He follows that up with sideways chop, leaving the tattooed orc bloodied as well.

Shroom launches a force orb at the four orcish zombies off to the right, and catches all four in an explosion and leaves the area covered in dust as mud and dirt rain down on the area.

When the dust clears, only a single zombie is left standing, and he drops his shovel, as he looks up towards the direction of the attack.

===OOC===
The orcish archers are lightly armored, and Ridcully's 17 hits. he also gets sneak attack damage (total of 14). So the first archer goes from 26 to 12, and he's bloodied. The other archer is still at 26 hp.

Fargrims bell ringer leaves the orc freak dazed, and he action points to hit him again, leaving the orc at 19 hp (which is exactly bloodied).

Shroom's force orb hit the primary and first two secondary targets- and the zombies are minions.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 01, 2009, 11:22:29 am
Edwena 20
Ridcully 19
Fargrim 18
Orc Bolt Gunner 15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2004221/)
Orc Zombie 12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2004218/)
Shroom 10
Vathalin 10
Orc Mad Berserker 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2004219/)
Maliferous (necromancer) 2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2004215/)

Any change in tactics?
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on April 01, 2009, 01:48:51 pm
Shroom doesn't change his tactic. He will thunderwave and move away in whatever order that is appropriate.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on April 01, 2009, 02:19:15 pm
Fargrim continues his attack on the orc with a mohawk, swinging his double axe with efficient and powerful strokes.

==========================================

OCC Round 2:

Both of Fargrim's Duel Strike attacks hit AC 23 for 15 and 10 damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2004361/) each, respectively.

Fargrim will use his Duel Strike power for the rest of the fight.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on April 01, 2009, 03:52:47 pm
Ridcully closes with the mohawk orc, drawing another dagger as he moves, flanking him in conjunction with Fargrim, and attacks the orc with Sly Flourish.

OOC:

Hit = 19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2004523/)
Damage = 11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2004525/)+4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2004528/)=15

If Fargrim prematurely :D downs the mohawk, Ridcully will veer to the undamaged archer and atack him instead, and if there's no combat advantage the hit is 17 and damage is 11.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: ulgrath on April 02, 2009, 08:43:32 pm
Valathin was in a daze coming to and seeing his companions in battle he will charge the undamaged archer.

charge to hit: 6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2006144/">1d20+4=6)
damage: 5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2006146/">1d10+0=5)

at this point Vathalin mutters the oath of emnity and will continue to hit with Bond of Pursuit until the orc falls
round 2
hit: 6,15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2006149/">1d20+4=6, 1d20+4=15)
taking the 15
damage: 11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2006151/">1d10+4=11)

round 3
hit: 8,19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2006152/">1d20+4=8, 1d20+4=19)
taking the 19
damage: 11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2006153/">1d10+4=11)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on April 05, 2009, 02:51:58 pm
Edwena decides to join the battle and attack the left over orc zombie with Shroom.

LOF attack (1d20+4=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2009732/)
LOF Damage. (1d8+4=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2009733/)

OOC: I will await your posting AM, so I know where to really place myself.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 06, 2009, 08:42:01 am
(yay, everyone is back!)

Edwena 20
Ridcully 19
Fargrim 18
Orc Bolt Gunner 15
Orc Zombie 12
Shroom 10
Vathalin 10
Orc Mad Berserker 10
Maliferous (necromancer) 2

Edwena leads with a lance of faith-- a silvery beam of radiant energy splits the air for a second and hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2009732/) the last remaining zombie.. it collapses immediately.

Meanwhile, Ridcully slips behind the mohawk'd orc and backstabs him while Fargrim keeps him occupied.. And the orc drops, clutching wildly at his back.

Fargrim turns and engages the nearest of the bolt-thrower orcs- which happens to be theone Ridcully injured on his initial dive into the ditch. That orc drops..

Suddenly this isn't looking like so difficult of a fight.

Now only the necromancer and one of the orc bolt throwers remains standing...

The last remaining orc bolt thrower hastily loads a bolt into his belly-gun and fires it at Fargrim- hitting him (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2010722/). Fargrim absorbs the force of the blow, but knows it would have pushed a less stout warrior back.

The orc zombies are all dead.

Shroom stands up and casts Thunderwave which resounds with a muffled boom and scatters a fine spray of mud and dirt over the area. The necromancer, unfazed, turns slowly to face him.

It suddenly becomes apparent that the necromancer himself is undead.

Shroom backs up a few steps, leaving Edwena to face the purple robed figure.

Vathalin charges down into the ditch and swings away at the undamaged archer (who even now is hastily trying to load another bolt into his belly-bow). He misses.

The necromancer strides confidently towards Edwena and Shroom.. covering about half the distance between them. He stops and utters "Arise, corpse.."

The ground around the necromancer seems to churn and rumble, and a dirt-covered necrotic arm suddenly bursts forth from the ground.. followed by a maggoty torso...

Suddenly, four new zombies erupt from the ground around the form of the robed necromancer...

Next round starts with Edwena! Any change in tactics?






======OOC========

Edwena hit the last zombie, and it was a minion. It dies. No more zombies..

Ridcully: Your'e doing great, but just a note: Sneak attack damage is actually 2d8! You've been doing 1d8. I added another d8 (7 more damage) for ya. So actually you did 22 damage...killing the mohawked orc. Yes, rogues can do that. ;)

Fargrim, you hit the injured archer, and kill it.

The fresh archer loads his gun (as a move action) and fires at Fargrim, hitting ac:20. It does 1d12+2=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2010724/) damage (Fargrim is now at 23). Normally this also pushes the target one square (which would have ruined an ensuing flank), but Fargrim isn't pushed because he's a dwarf.

The Thunderwave attack misses. Shroom moves back.

Vathalins charge misses.

The mad berserker is dead.

The necromancer uses a power that calls forth 4 new zombie rotters. They keep the original orc zombie initiative of 12.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on April 06, 2009, 11:24:57 am
Fargrim swings both heads of his double axe in a swirling flash of metal, and strikes at the orc archer from its flank opposite Ridcully.

==============================================================

OOC:
Fargrim's Duel Strike attack hit AC 11 and AC 22 for 15 and 14 damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2010873/), respectively.

Fargrim will attack the enemies in this order using Duel Strike for the rest of the fight:
Orc archer
Necromancer
Zombies
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on April 06, 2009, 11:54:37 am
Yanking out his sling, Ridcully pelts the nearest zombie with a bullet.

Sly Flourish: 17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2010865/), damage = 9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2010867/)

Next 3 hits: 18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2010870/), 24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2010871/), 27 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2010875/)

Ridcully's plan is to pelt the zombies until an opening (in which he can move to engage the caster without suffering opportunity attacks) appears and then he will use Handspring Assault on the necromancer, using his shifts to position himself in melee range of the caster and not any zombies if he can.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on April 06, 2009, 12:29:44 pm
Shroom's brow raises in surprise as the necromancer gives no ground. He decides for a hasty retreat, blasting off a magic missile as he retreats.

(OOC: No change in tactic, really).
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on April 06, 2009, 12:38:58 pm
Edwena stands her ground against to the necromancer as he commands his army of undead to surround him.  She closes her eyes, "Give me power to annihilate these corpses!" she prays to Avandra.  

OOC: Using Divine Glow as my primary attack, then Lance of Faith in remaining attacks against undead foes.  Using DG on zombies around the necromancer.

DG
DG attack (1d20+4=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2010952/)
DG Damage (1d8+4=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2010953/)
LOF
LOF Attack (1d20+4=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2010955/)
LOF Damage (1d8+4=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2010956/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 06, 2009, 02:34:56 pm
Repost of init starting with Edwena:

Edwena 20
Ridcully 19
Fargrim 18
Orc Bolt Gunner 15
Orc Zombie 12
Shroom 10
Vathalin 10
Maliferous (necromancer) 2

Edwena stands her ground against to the necromancer as he commands his army of undead to surround him. She closes her eyes, "Give me power to annihilate these corpses!" she prays to Avandra.

She moves forward towards the Necromancer and his zombie allies, and holds forth her holy symbol which suddenly flares with holy light. The muddy orcish corpses contort and writhe in the holy light that bathes them before collapsing.

The necromancer looks down at the bodies of the orcish zombies and then back up at Edwena with an unholy glare. He starts to raise his hands to cast.. but suddenly.. he is pelted in the face by a sling bullet.

Ridcully! Ridcully is chuckling at the foot of the ditch and already loading his sling for a second shot. The necromancer turns his attention ominously back to Edwena and Shroom.

Down at the base of the ditch, Fargrim spins his axe and slashes away at the final archer, closing with him, and chopping with dual strikes.. One of fargrim's singing axe blades cuts the bolt-thrower orc badly, leaving him bloodied. The runes of the legendary axe suddenly flare up with bright blue fire and the axe ices over, momentarily.

The orc bolt-thrower lets the belly-gun hang loose in it's harness and draws his battleaxe. He swipes at Fargrim wildly (and misses), but redoubles his fury.

Shroom backs slowly away from the necromancer, popping off a magic missile in the process. It arcs around to the left with a silvery streak and then curves back to hit the necromancer with a shriek. The necromancer actually looks pissed at this point, but doesn't move his hateful glare from Edwena.

Vathalin slips around behind the last remaining bolt-thrower and chops at him with his oath of pursuit.. he cuts the orc painfully from behind.

The necromancer suddenly lunges forward with supernatural speed and bites at Edwena. His mouth opens up in a horrific maw of elongated sharp teeth.. you realize he is no longer human, if indeed he ever was. He clamps down hard on Edwena's shoulder.

Edwena knows that IF she should try to use her lance of faith at this point, the necromancer.. thing, whatever it is, will maul her.

======OOC========

Edwena's Divine Glow is a close blast. She can hit the necromancer and all four zombies at once with it. BUT, Edwena must make separate attack rolls on each target. I will go ahead and roll the extra attacks: 18, 15 (these each kill one of the zombie minions), 1d20+4=11, 1d20+4=16, 1d20+4=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2011024/) (last attack was on the necromancer himself, and it missed, but the other attacks destroy the remaining zombies).

Ridcully switches his attack from a zombie (they are all dead) to the necromancer, and hits for 9 damage, reducing the necromancer to 35 hp.

Fargrim: You hit once for 14 damage, and leaving the orc bloodied (he's at 12 hp, down from 26). I suggest that you mark the archer!

The orc bolt-thrower draws his battle axe and uses warrior surge (he makes a melee attack and regains 6 hp). His attack was 1d20+6=11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2011045/), which misses. The orc regains 6 hp and is back to 18.

Shroom rolls an 18 to hit with his magic missile, which hits for 9 damage. The necromancer is left at 26hp.

Vathalin hits the orc from behind with a 15, and does 11 damage. The orc bolt thrower has 1 hp left.

The necromancer closes with Edwena, and then bites her (
    1d20+8=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2011056/)) and hits for 1d8+2=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2011060/) 7 damage. Since Edwena had a contingency of using lance of faith (a ranged attack) I will let her choose another attack for next round!
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on April 06, 2009, 02:48:35 pm
Quote from: Abyssal Maw;294461
The orc bolt-thrower draws his battle axe and uses warrior surge (he makes a melee attack and regains 6 hp). His attack was 1d20+6=11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2011045/), which misses. The orc regains 6 hp and is back to 18.


OOC: As I read and understand the power, the attack has to be successful in order to gain the benefit of the healing surge.  Is this incorrect?[/I]
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 06, 2009, 03:21:18 pm
Quote from: Drohem;294467


OOC: As I read and understand the power, the attack has to be successful in order to gain the benefit of the healing surge.  Is this incorrect?


The version I have says this:
"Warrior's surge (Standard, usable only while bloodied, encounter) * Healing
The orc bolt thrower makes a melee basic attack and regains 6 hit points."

I interpreted it literally- there's no mention of a hit. Anyhow, at 6 hp, I think it's fairly tame.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on April 06, 2009, 03:28:13 pm
Stunned by the necromancers sudden movement and bite, Edwena decides to pull out her morning star, swing away at the biter.

OOC: Changing tatics a bit.  Doing Avenging Flame to knock my oppoinent off. With a hit there is ongoing 5 fire damage.
Attack
AF attack (1d20+2=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2011472/)
Damage
AF attack (2d10+2=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2011437/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on April 06, 2009, 04:03:19 pm
Shroom distances himself further from the necromancer, slightly relieved that the foul thing had decided upon a new target. When opportune, he braves danger and unleashes a magic missile in the necromancer's direction from a comfortable distance (preferably behind some cover).

Magic Missile Attack Rolls (1d20+3=11, 1d20+3=12, 1d20+3=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2011665/)

Magic Missile Damage Roll (2d4+3=7, 2d4+3=6, 2d4+3=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2011666/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on April 06, 2009, 04:29:34 pm
Fargrim keeps up the pressure on the orc archer who now has a battle axe, swinging both heads in dazzling arcs and circles.  

=========================================================

OOC:
Next round attacks:

Fargrim's Duel Strike attacks hit AC 13 and 22, doing 6 and 12 damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2011705/), respectively.

Also, Fargrim marks the orc.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on April 06, 2009, 05:02:01 pm
Ridcully will move on to his Handspring Assault against the necromancer, shifting to a flanking position while drawing a dagger, with the 18 (adding 2 for a flank to 20) to hit roll, and damage of 22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2011747/).
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 06, 2009, 10:19:39 pm
Repost of init starting with Edwena:

Edwena 20
Ridcully 19
Fargrim 18
Orc Bolt Gunner 15
Orc Zombie 12
Shroom 10
Vathalin 10
Maliferous (necromancer) 2

Edwena grabs frantically at her morningstar and it bursts into divine silver fire. She swings it heavily at the necromancer and it connects with a dull thud.. and catches his robes on fire.

Ridcully springs forward with feline agility, drops behind the necromancer, and then lashes out, cutting deep, and rolling back away to safety.

The necromancer collapses, writing and still burning. The flame takes on a black and purplish hue as he is consumed.

Fargrim chops one.. then brings his double axe around overhead for a chop that floors the final orc bolt thrower.

Battle over. Vathalin and Shroom make their way back to Edwena and Ridcully at the top of the ditch.

As the necromancer burns out, you can see he had a satchel of various goods that was more or less unaffected by the flames: an Onyx belt buckle worth 180 gold pieces, and wrapped in a black cloth: a +1 holy symbol of life. The orcish berserker at the bottom of the hill had 12 platinum pieces in his belt pouch, and a +1 vicious dagger tucked in his boot.

XP is 155 each- please update your sheet!

You may divide the gold and items as you see fit, or sell the items for 20% of their worth back in town. If you just divide gold it's a total worth of 300 gp (or 60 each).  



==============OOC================
Edwena hits with a 21, and does 11 damage. The necromancer is down to 15 hp and bloodied.

Ridcully uses handspring attack and hits, killing the necromancer.

Fargrims second (dual strike) fells the last orcish bolt thrower.

All done...
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 06, 2009, 10:20:59 pm
XP is 155 each- please update your sheet!

You may divide the gold and items as you see fit, or sell the items for 20% of their worth back in town. If you just divide gold it's a total worth of 300 gp (or 60 each).  

At this point, you can all see the entrance to the Tower Ruins down below at the base of the ditch-- this is the opening to the area that the orcs were guarding.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on April 06, 2009, 10:35:09 pm
Edwena clutches her wound as the necromancer burns into oblivion.  "Avandra, please heal my wounds and anyone near by that may need your grace," she prays.  As she feels the power surge through her, Edwena looks over the base of the ditch to the opening of the tower ruins.  "The holy symbol could be of some use," she pauses, "but I will go with whatever the party decides on the treasure."

OOC: Whatever the group decides with the rewards is fine with me.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on April 06, 2009, 11:19:30 pm
OOC:
I propose the following loot divvy:

Edwena should get the +1 Holy Symbol of Life, and Ridcully should get the +1 Vicious dagger.  This leaves 300 gp to be divided between Fargrim, Vathalin, and Shroom.  So, each of them gets 100 gp each.

Is this cool?  Does anyone have any concerns or issues with this proposed loot divvy?
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on April 07, 2009, 01:19:46 am
(OOC: Fine by me.)

Shroom pockets some daubles of wealth, "Ooh, perhaps I can now buy some ointment..."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 07, 2009, 08:58:13 am
Only Edwena and Fargrim were injured in that fight (and only minimally.. you got the benefit of a surprise round).

What would you like to do at this point?
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on April 07, 2009, 09:25:24 am
Ridcully retrieves the dagger he threw at the garish orc, cleaning it thoroughly before putting it away, then he grins as he holds up the new dagger he found, "Hey look, anyone mind if I hang onto this... can never have too many ya know?"

OOC: Yep, that division of loot is fine with me.

After stowing his new dagger in his belt, Ridcully begins peering into the entrance of the tower intently.

OOC: Perception = 22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2012617/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on April 07, 2009, 10:48:13 am
Edwena picks up the holy symbol and places it among her valuables.  She whispers her thanks to Avandra for the find, and moves closer to Ridcully to see if he knows more about the entrance to the Tower Ruins.  "Did you notice anything," she speaks softly to the rogue.

OOC: Loot divided perfect.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on April 07, 2009, 11:52:15 am
Fargrim watches the surrounding area as Edwena and Ridcully examine the door.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on April 07, 2009, 11:56:37 am
Shroom coughs, "Is there something wrong? As in danger?"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on April 07, 2009, 11:58:12 am
Fargrim raises an eyebrow as he gives Shroom a sideways and quizzical look.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 07, 2009, 01:43:52 pm
There's no actual door- at the base of the ditch, there's sort of a muddy cave-like opening, excavated by zombie labor, bu the looks of it. It seems to have breached a sort of stone-shaft with a staircase going down, and a shallow  ramp back up, into the collapsed ruins.

You can hear a ruffled cooing and hissing-- the sound of a large reptilian of some kind.. in the direction of up-the-stairs. The stairs also head downwards into darkness.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on April 07, 2009, 02:52:35 pm
Fargrim looks at his companions and silently motions with his hand that they go down instead of up.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on April 07, 2009, 03:08:04 pm
"If not, let's continue.", the eldarin advances down the stairs into the darkness, quite obvious to Fargrim's scrutiny and any danger, torch in hand.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 08, 2009, 09:13:29 am
OOC: For those of you who have items, please UPDATE your stats. If you used the builder, you can just go through and find the correct item and it will update the stats for you.  I'll post the stats for both items over in the OOC thread.

Your group heads down the dimly lit stairs (Shroom's torch flaring up to light the way).

On the way down you note that the area is filled with rubble, although much of it has been cleared. When you get down to the first landing, a large pile of it is heaped on one side of the landing, as if being readied for removal. There's plenty of room to head around the pile and continue downwards, though.

After the first landing, the stairs take a 90-degree turn to the right and descend again, and this time there is a series of carved stone faces (each one looking wizened, malevolent and angry) on each side of the staircase (about 6 of them, although the ones closest to the surface look to have been shattered).

You reach the bottom and halt just as you hear voices-

The first voice is cold and distant, and seems to come from underwater.

"Imbeciles! do any of you speak common? ANYONE? Where is your leader? Your Gruhlra, your .. bah! I grow weary of this."

An orcish voice interrupts: "I talk common.. This not our normal time, still light out."

(a series of grunts ensue, and you get the idea that there are more than a few orcs below).

"I do not care what time of day or night it is, I will not stand for slacking. Our Mistress predicts we will be under siege soon, and so we are going to redouble the guard, and THIS room is key to the defense of the tower.. Wheel me closer, Rustblade, there's a dear.. Now then. We are going to have visitors soon. I want at least 4 bolters upstairs, day OR night.. and.. has anyone seen Maliferous?"

(there is a confused series of grunting orcish voices as the orc tries to translate what he can understand..)

One of the orcs finally queries something in broken common about when they will be fed.

"NEVERMIND.. Rustblade, go and fetch Maliferous.. and take these orcs upstairs...we're redoubling the guard. Are the wyvern-riders back yet?"


...

What are you doing?
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on April 08, 2009, 11:22:20 am
Fargrim quickly motions for everyone to gather close enough so that they can whisper.  

Once everyone has closed in enough, Fargrim whispers, "quickly!  Back up to the landing!  We'll hide behind the rubble, and ambush them."
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on April 08, 2009, 11:39:20 am
"The torch," Edwena whispers as she motions to the stairs. "Let's move before they notice," she speaks softly once more.

Nodding at Fargrim request, Edwena begins to hustles up the stairs to find a suitable place behind the rubble.  She gears up her morningstar for the ambush and begins preparations for her prayers.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on April 08, 2009, 01:31:30 pm
Shroom swifty follows the others, putting out the torch with a dissatisifed grimace, as he goes along with thier plan.

(OOC: AM, sheet's been updated.)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 09, 2009, 08:57:12 am
OOC: Still waiting on Ridcully, since he might be key to any stealthy ambushes)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on April 09, 2009, 06:32:15 pm
Ridcully moves to hide near the entrance in order to end up behind the foes as they emerge, drawing his new dagger.

Stealth: 28 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2016470/)

Initiative: 17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2016471/)

First Attack: Sly Flourish = 24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2016472/)

damage = 17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2016482/)

OOC: The target will be the bad guy closest to me when the whole group has passed my position.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 10, 2009, 12:40:31 pm
.. you all head up the stairs as stealthily as possible (luckily the orcs make a lotof tromping and noise, and that hides the sound of most of you). Shroom extinguishes his torch via Prestidigitation, before they round the corner of the first landing.

You all take up positions behind the pile of rubble, as much as you can. You can all just barely fit there.. with Ridcully actually slipping into the shadows opposite of the pile.

A low emotionless metallic voice answers below.
"By your leave..." (and you lose the rest as you head up the stairs to the first landing).

You all take up places...

Tromp tromp tromp. They are coming up...

The orcs are headed up the stairs led by heavy clanking metal footsteps.

It is not pitch black-- there is dim light coming in front outside.

As they get to the top of the landing, Fargrim, Shroom, and Edwena can make out (with their lowlight vision) the metallic form of a rusted metal humanoid. At first he seems like a man in heavy armor, but it soon becomes apparent, that he is the armor, and his own eyes glow enough to silhouette his form and the orcs behind him.  He is leading another pair of orcish bolt-throwers (wearing their crossbow harnesses) and another pair of orcish berserkers with distinctive mohawks.

The group is ordered with the metallic humanoid in front, then the two bolt throwers, then the two berserkers.

They head past and turn to go up the next landing, when Ridcully steps out of the shadows like a ghost and drives his dagger into the last orc berserker.

STABBBB!!!


The orc howls in pain and stumbles around clutching his back, trying to reach Ridcully.. Ridcully manages to position himself where he can flank with the first party member who wants to melee the berserker.

(init rolls please!)

There is sudden chaos as the orcs and the metalic humanoid scramble clumsily into position. The metal-man is booming out "Stay Calm. We are under Ambush...MAINTAIN YOUR RANKS."

The orcs are not listening.
===========OOC=================
(In deference to Drohem's point about Warriors Surge the orcs will have to hit before they can surge, from now on..)

Slight issue with Ridcullys damage- formatting mistakes made it a bit too low! In the future please do it like so: 1d4+2d8+8.

If it's a crit, remeber to add another 1d12 to the total. I just re-rolled the sneak attack damage to make it 20 vice 17.

The last orc berserker is bloodied. Down -20 from 38 hit points. (currently at 18 hp).

Note that you are in very close quarters, so unless you make a point of staying behind the debris heap, you may be considered in melee.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on April 10, 2009, 01:13:32 pm
The fight is joined, and Fargrim is comfortable with the surroundings; dim light and confining spaces are the natural playground of dwarves, and their martial training.

Fargrim immediately understands that the strange metal construct is in charge, and Fargrim attacks him with swirling vertical arcs and strikes from his double axe.

==========================================================

OOC:

Fargrim's Initiative Check is 17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2017579/).

Round 1 Actions:
Fargrim marks the metaloid construct (warforged?), and attacks him with Duel Strike.

Fargrim's Duel Strike attacks hit AC 8 (giving up Combat Advantage with a natural '1') and AC 14 for 14 and 11 damage, respectively. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2017586/)

Oh, BTW, is the frost double axe indeed the lost weapon named Glamerding?
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 10, 2009, 01:17:16 pm
Quote from: Drohem
OOC:

Oh, BTW, is the frost double axe indeed the lost weapon named Glamerding?[/I]


Yes.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on April 10, 2009, 01:18:08 pm
Quote from: Abyssal Maw;295467
Yes.


:cool::D
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on April 10, 2009, 01:47:12 pm
Edwena willingly enters into combat and tries to damage the other orc berserker. She slams her morningstar into the nearest foe, while asking Avandra for protection. "Give me strength," she yells as she attacks.

OOC: When it is her turn, she will attack the berserker, or any orc in range.

Int. Roll (1d20+1=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2017650/)

P.S. Attack (1d20+2=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2017652/)

P.S. Damage (1d10+2=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2017655/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on April 10, 2009, 01:48:42 pm
With nobody engaged with his opponent, Ridcully decides to pull a Sly Lunge at the berserker, hopefully throwing it off balance and giving Ridcully an opening.

Sly Lunge: 29 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2017667/) (woot, crit)

damage = 34! (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2017669/) (please let me know if I understood the crit rules wrong, this is my first 4e crit actually... my wiz in the TT game can't roll for shit)

Ridcully giggles and dodges the blood flying everywhere.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 10, 2009, 01:55:30 pm
Quote from: Sigmund;295472
With nobody engaged with his opponent, Ridcully decides to pull a Sly Lunge at the berserker, hopefully throwing it off balance and giving Ridcully an opening.

Sly Lunge: 29 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2017667/) (woot, crit)

damage = 34! (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2017669/) (please let me know if I understood the crit rules wrong, this is my first 4e crit actually... my wiz in the TT game can't roll for shit)

Ridcully giggles and dodges the blood flying everywhere.


You did it correctly..! Yes, thats a shload of damage. Welcome to Striker-land.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on April 10, 2009, 04:39:22 pm
Shroom stumbles forth from his hiding spot, tripping over his very own toes in deep anticipation, before haphazardly working the spell of the Flaming Sphere and conjuring in the midst of the orcish crew a rolling ball of fire which then assails Rustbucket mercilessly. With supernal agility and a mad cackle, the eladrin then hurls a orb of blasting force hoping to decimate thier ranks.


(OOC: Basically, my first standard action is going to be a Flaming Sphere in the midst of the orcs, targetting Rustbucket in particular. I'm then going to spend an action point to acquire another standard action and then cast Force Orb and try to hit as many of the crew as possible. My move action will be used to move into range if necessary and my minor action will be to sustain the Flaming Sphere.

Initiative (1d20+1=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2018553/)

Flaming Sphere Standard Action Attack Roll (vs. Reflex)and Damage Roll (1d20+3=21, 2d6+3=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2018593/)

Flaming Sphere Start of Turn Damage (1d4+3=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2018594/)

Force Orb Attack Rolls (Vs. Reflex); First is Primary, All Others are Secondary (For Adjacent Opponents) (1d20+3=19, 1d20+3=22, 1d20+3=7, 1d20+3=22, 1d20+3=11, 1d20+3=18, 1d20+3=11, 1d20+3=4, 1d20+3=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2018595/)

Force Orb Primary Attack Damage Roll and Secondary Attack Damage Roll (Primary is First, Secondary is Second) (2d8+3=15, 1d10+3=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2018596/))
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 11, 2009, 08:32:53 am
Initiative rolls: (I went ahead and rolled for Vathalin- he will charge at the leader, then use Oath of Pursuit on Rustblade, try to flank with Fargrim...)

Vathalin 24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2018836/)
Orc bolt throwers 21
Orc Berserkers 18
Fargrim 17
Ridcully 17
Edwena 10
Rustblade 7
Shroom 2

Vathalin bounds over the top of the rubble-heap and charges at the metal humanoid, and because the metal soldier has yet to draw his weapon or ready his shield, 1d20+5=19 (http://[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2018846/)]he slams into him[/URL].

The orc Bolt throwers panic in the close quarters and both hastily grab for their battle-axes. Each attacks Vathalin clumsily and miss.  

The berserker fighting Ridcully turns and hacks at him with a double-hacking attack, and you are horrified to see both axe hews clip the little halfling, and there is blood everywhere...

The other berserker attacks Fargrim and misses twice.

Fargrim moves up and flanks one of the berserkers with (a possibly mortally injured) Ridcully, but attacks the warforged leader... he also misses twice.  (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2017586/)

Ridcully is badly hurt, but he drives his vicious dagger into the orc berserker and there is a sudden flash of dark purple light. The orc topples over dead. Ridcully feels dizzy...

(I'll continue with Edwena, but does she want to change her action to healing Ridcully?)

==========OOC=========
Vathalin hits (with a 19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2018846/)), but only because the warforged is surprised and has yet to ready his shield. He does 2d6+4=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2018849/) damage to Rustblade.

The bolt throwers draw their battle axes and attack Vathalin who is right up at the front of the formation. They both miss. 1d20+6=12, 1d20+6=11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2018851/).

The berserkers attack:

the one attacking Ridcully uses an encounter power to attack twice, and hits twice. 1d20+6=19, 1d20+6=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2018852/). Ridcully takes 1d10+3=10, 1d10+3=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2018853/) 22  damage. Warning, he may need healing! He's down to 1 hp.

The one attacking Fargrim attacks twice and misses both times. 1d20+6=11, 1d20+6=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2018856/). Both berserkers have used up their encounter powers at this point.

Ridcully crits the orc (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2017667/) and does 34 damage.. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2017669/). The special power ofthe vicious dagger goes off.. and the orc dies.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 11, 2009, 10:39:41 am
Let me know if there are updates, if Edwena wants to heal, someone needs a healing potion or whatever.. or Ridcully wants to take 2nd wind. Shrooms example of tactics is perfect, because it tells me what to do even if the situation changes.

The Warforged soldier is down 10 hp, and one of the Berserkers is dropped. Ridcully is badly injured.

This leaves both of the bolt-gunners, one of the berserkers at full hp, and the warforged at only slightly injured. Down the stairs you get the feeling whoever that was may be alerted...
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on April 11, 2009, 01:56:11 pm
Seeing Ridcully seriously injured, Fargrim leaves the warforged for Vathalin to deal with and moves in front of Ridcully; shielding him from the orcs for a moment.

Fargrim attacks the orc berserker, swinging his double axe in tight and powerful vertical strokes.

=======================================================

OOC:

Round 2
As a Free Action, Fargrim activates Glamerding to do cold damage.

Fargrim's Duel Strike attacks hit AC 27 (critical!) and AC 21 for 15 and 7 cold damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2019255/), respectively.

As another Free Action, Fargrim uses Glamerding's Daily power.  Glamerding's critical cold damge plus Daily power cold damage is 9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2019264/).
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on April 11, 2009, 03:03:15 pm
As Edwena advance on the other orc berserker, she watches out of the corner of her eye as the rogue is practically cut in half.  She changes her course, running over to him as Fargrim protects the rogue.  She kneels before Ridcully and begins praying for him as she pulls out the holy symbol of life.  "Heal this warrior, great Avandra," she raises the symbol above her head.  

OOC: Heal surge +8 from the prayer and holy symbol.   If I need to do another healing prayer next round please let me know, other wise my tactic is still the same with priest shield.  Also...am I allowed to use the holy symbol?  It is a minor action when activated, and so is my prayer.  Can I swap out a minor for a standard or free action?

H.S. Minor action. (1d6=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2019300/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on April 11, 2009, 04:17:40 pm
Quote from: Venosha;295751
Can I swap out a minor for a standard or free action?


Sort of...  Here are the rules on substituting actions:

On your turn, you can take a move action or a minor action instead of a standard action, and you can take a minor action instead of a move action.[/I]
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 11, 2009, 07:21:47 pm
Quote from: Venosha;295751

OOC: Heal surge +8 from the prayer and holy symbol.   If I need to do another healing prayer next round please let me know, other wise my tactic is still the same with priest shield.  Also...am I allowed to use the holy symbol?  It is a minor action when activated, and so is my prayer.  Can I swap out a minor for a standard or free action?

H.S. Minor action. (1d6=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2019300/)


This is all absolutely great!
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: DeadUematsu on April 11, 2009, 07:34:36 pm
Shroom, for Round 2 and forward, will return fire at the orc bolt throwers (if still alive; otherwise, the orc berserkers and Rustbucket) with magic missiles. He will spend his move action and minor actions to move and sustain the Flaming Sphere as appropriate.

Magic Missile Attack and Damage Rolls (1d20+3=10, 2d4+3=8, 1d20+3=7, 2d4+3=9, 1d20+3=12, 2d4+3=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2019790/)

Flaming Sphere Damage Rolls (1d4+3=7, 1d4+3=5, 1d4+3=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2019794/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 13, 2009, 10:36:08 am
Initiative Repost, starting with Edwena...

Vathalin 24
Orc bolt throwers 21
Orc Berserker 18
Fargrim 17
Ridcully 17
Unknown Combatant 1d20+2=11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2021955/)
Edwena 10
Rustblade 7
Shroom 2

As Edwena advance on the other orc berserker, she watches out of the corner of her eye as the rogue is practically cut in half. She changes her course, running over to him as Fargrim protects the rogue. She kneels before Ridcully and begins praying for him as she pulls out the holy symbol of life. "Heal this warrior, great Avandra," she raises the symbol above her head.

Rustblade hastily draws his longsword, readies his shield and hacks at Vathalin.. hitting him (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2021903/).

Shroom stumbles forth from his hiding spot, tripping over his very own toes in deep anticipation, before haphazardly working the spell of the Flaming Sphere and conjuring in the midst of the orcish crew a rolling ball of fire which then assails Rustbucket mercilessly. With supernal agility and a mad cackle, the eladrin then hurls an orb of blasting force hoping to decimate thier ranks...!

The cramped stairwell flares up with heat and light for a second, and then a shuddering whoosh...as the force orb explodes in a sort of fireworks display, impacting the warforged heavily.

Vathalin is singed lightly by the flaming sphere, but he doggedly attacks the warforged soldier (Rustblade) with a follow-up of his Oath of Pursuit. He misses twice, but maneuvers as well as he can around and away from the flaming sphere, which still bounces menacingly nearby.

Neither of the bolt throwers are lucky enough to have any room to maneuver to, and each one is also burned by the flaming sphere.. one swipes at Vathalin ineffectually with his battleaxe, but the other one lands a vicious hack on Fargrim.

The mohawked orc berserker tries to kill Ridcully...but misses.

Seeing Ridcully seriously injured, Fargrim leaves the warforged for Vathalin to deal with and moves in front of Ridcully; shielding him from the orcs for a moment.

Fargrim attacks the orc berserker, swinging his double axe in tight and powerful vertical strokes. The legendary axe Glamerding suddenly flashes to life and hums with supernatural power as waves of icy cold pour out of it. Both attacks hit the orc who staggers backwards, horribly injured.. and then stiffens suddenly.

The orc berserker collapses, and Ridcully is revealed, standing behind him. He withdraws his vicious dagger.

From down below, the high-pitched underwater voice can be heard again...

"Rustblade! Rustblade, what is going on up there?!"

(any change in tactics? next round starts again with Edwena..)




==========OOC=============

Edwena heals Ridcully for surge +8 (that is 13 hp). Ridcully is currently at 14 hp. (thats a move, minor, and minor as she moves to where Ridcully is..heals and activates her symbol)

Rustblade draws his sword and shield and attacks Vathalin, hitting him (with an 18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2021903/)) marking him, and doing 5 damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2021906/). Vathalin is at 19 hp.

Shroom hits with his Flaming sphere against the warforged, but placing the sphere amongst the Orc bolt throwers and the warforged all together. He follows it up with a force orb: The flaming sphere hits the warforged dead on, doing 11 damage. The force orb explosion catches the warforged and both of the first bolt-throwers, narrowly missing Vathalin. It does 15 damage to the warforged, and 7 damage to each of the bolt throwers.

Warforged is now "bloodied" at 20hp, and the bolt throwers are each at 19hp.

Vathalin starts his turn in an adjacent square to the flaming sphere, and takes 6 damage.. He then attacks the warforged and misses twice (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2021930/) (with an 18 and a 13). You realize that the warforged is highly armored and will be difficult to take down without flanking or ranged attacks...

(Vath is at 13 hp, not yet bloodied)

The two orc bolt throwers start their turn close to the flaming sphere and are now bloodied. They have nowhere to move. One attacks Vathalin, (missing with a 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2021936/)) and one attacks Fargrim (critical hit! (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2021939/)). Fargrim takes 13 damage. He is now at 18 hp.

The orc berserker hacks at Ridcullybut misses, with a 14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2021944/).

Fargrim hits the berserker twice (one attack is a critical hit) and activates the cold power. Total of 31 damage. The last orc berserker is bloodied, and down to 7 hp.

Ridcully hit the orc berserker with a 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2021951/). He does 12 damage, killing the berserker.

Any changes to tactics? Next round starts with Edwena. Note that another combatant can be heard below, and may be joining the fray soon...
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on April 13, 2009, 11:04:20 am
Ridcully takes a moment to catch his breath, then, with a growl, shifts around Fargrim and feints with his left dagger and strikes with his right.

OOC:

Ridcully starts with a second wind, then uses an action point and move action to get into position and make use of the combat advantage he gains from the last rounds power.

Sly Lunge: 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2021989/)

damage = 23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2021998/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on April 13, 2009, 11:49:43 am
Seeing that Ridcully has been healed by Edwena, Fargrim moves into a flanking position opposite Vathalin and leashes a flurry of strikes against the warforged warrior.

=========================================================

OOC:

Round 3
Fargrim's Duel Strike hit AC 24 and AC 27 for 15 damage each! (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2022086/)

BTW, we won't hurt your GMPC aboleth!  I kid, I kid. :)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on April 13, 2009, 01:11:02 pm
Edwena takes a quick inventory on everyone's health, and notices that all seem to be in fair condition as she prays to activate her holy symbol.  "Let your power fill me, Avandra," she whispers.  She regains her footing and moves to the closest bolt thrower to attack with her morningstar.  Edwena strikes hard, "Let them quiver at the might of your power," she prays once more.  

OOC: I think everyone is in stable condition for right now, but if Edwena needs to do healing word once more on a party member, let me know.  Edwena will take a minor action to activate her Holy Symbol again, a move action to close around the bolt thrower, and a standard action to use P.Sheild.  

P.S. Attack (1d20+2=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2022176/)
P.S. Damage (1d10+2=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2022177/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on April 13, 2009, 09:32:56 pm
Seeing the berserker go down, Ridcully will search for a plce to position himself to ambush any aid coming from the sound of the voice.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 14, 2009, 08:44:31 am
Vathalin 24
Orc bolt throwers 21
Fargrim 17
Ridcully 17
Unknown Combatant 11
Edwena 10
Rustblade 7
Shroom 2

OOC Note: Haven't seen Vathalin lately so I will drop him out after this combat. Unless he shows up!

Edwena takes a quick inventory on everyone's health, and notices that all seem to be in fair condition as she prays to activate her holy symbol. "Let your power fill me, Avandra," she whispers. She regains her footing and moves to the closest bolt thrower to attack with her morningstar. Edwena strikes hard, "Let them quiver at the might of your power," she prays once more.

She swings her mace and nails one of the already-bloodied Orc bolt throwers in the midsection.

Rustblade tries to recover and move away from the flaming sphere which slams him again. He shifts and attacks Vathalin with a practiced lunge.. but misses.

Shroom repositions the Flaming Sphere and launches a magic missile which rockets through the room with a hiss and ricochets off of a wall.

Vathalin doggedly pursues Rustblade (the warforged soldier) with his Oath of Pursuit, but misses him (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2023695/).

The orc bolt throwers have all but forgotten their belly-bows by now, and turn towards Fargrim. Unfortunately, one is consumed by the flaming sphere which still hovers menacingly nearby. The other attacks Fargrim with his battle-axe, hitting him with a sideways hack.

Fargrim, undeterred, slides in between the Warforged and the orc who just hit him and unleashes a flurry of singing icy swings from his double axe...He hits the warforged, then spins around to catch the last orc in the midsection, and both topple over, dead.

Ridcully slips into the shadows.

===OOC====
Edwena hits with an 18, and does 9 damage to an orc bolt thrower. It is now down to 4 hp. (The other orc remains at 13).

Rustblade starts his turn next to the Flaming sphere and takes another 7 damage. Reducing him to 13hp. He retaliates by attacking Vathalin and missing with a 14. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2023687/)

Shroom repositions the flaming sphere and fires a magic missile which misses.

Vathalin uses Oath of Pursuit and misses with a 7 and an 8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2023695/).  

One of the orc bolt throwers (the one Edwena hit) starts his turn but are adjacent to the flaming sphere, which does 5 damage, killing the badly wounded orc. The other orc attacks Fargrim and hits with a 21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2023697/). Fargrim takes 12 damage. He is now at 6 hp and bloodied...

Fargrim hits twice (with a 24 and a 27), and does 15 damage to each.. which kills all remaining (visible) combatants.  

Ridcully slips into the shadows for an ambush.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 14, 2009, 09:02:26 am
(note, encounter not over. The flaming sphere is still flaming, etc. You have not healed.)

...Rising unsteadily up the stairs, you can now all see what looks like an oversized metal and glass cylinder- it seems to hover for a second, clumsily. Strange supernal runes are etched in the verdigris encrusted copper base, and through the murky green glass you can dimly see a floating, blackened brain.

There is a hiss of steam from somewhere at the base of the floating jar. It rotates slowly as it continues to advance up the stairs. Ridcully can just now see a clumsily patched crack in the base of the jar.

"...Who dares invade the sanctum of Grunewild...?"

OOC: Ridcully can step out and sneak attack at this point, he's already got a roll to hit and damage.. Ridcully acts before the evil brain.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on April 14, 2009, 10:23:49 am
Ridcully steps out and attacks with a Sly Flourish.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on April 14, 2009, 11:27:02 am
OOC: I will post once Drohem has answered my PM.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 14, 2009, 11:38:14 am
Vathalin 24
Fargrim 17
Ridcully 17
The Evil Brain 11
Edwena 10
Rustblade 7
Shroom 2

The floating jar seems to exhale a gout of steam as it moves clumsily through the air..

"Who dares intrude upon the home of--"

Suddenly, Ridcully jumps out and sneak attacks the floating jar, driving his dagger into it. The glass chips and a hissing greenish fluid spurts out of the jar. The jar suddenly seems to reseal itself, but the contents are fizzing and popping now like a bottle of soda that someone has shaken up.

There is a high-pitched underwater gurlgling sound and a whine of pain.. and then the hissing abruptly stops. Flashing tendrils of ectoplasmic gray light seem to illuminate the area for a second and target Ridcully, Fargrim, and Edwena all at once.  

It hisses again. "You.. fools.. wil die."

Fargrim collapses.

There is a swoosh of air, as you all realize that the jar has gone invisible.. The hissing steam and sound of the fizzing fluids still give you clues to its location.  



===OOC===

Ridcully sneak attacks the jar successfully (hitting with a 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2021989/), doing 23 damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2021998/)). The brain is badly damaged..but not bloodied.

The Evil brain attacks with a close burst 3. It attacks Will against Ridcully, Fargrim, and Edwena, in that order. 1d20+8=24, 1d20+8=15, 1d20+8=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2023889/). (This hits Ridcully and Fargrim). Ridcully and Fargrim each take 1d6+4=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2023893/) damage, which drops Fargrim. Ridcully and Fargrim also take a -2 penalty to will defense.

Fargrim must make a death save on his turn, he has not used his second wind yet, so he could be helped with a mundane heal check (or magical healing).


The evil brain is invisible, but you may still attack it. You will be -5 to hit.

Fargrim is at -2 hp.
Ridcully is at 6 hp.
Vathalin is at 13 hp
Edwena and Shroom are at full hp.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on April 14, 2009, 01:39:17 pm
OOC:

Well, it was fun while it lasted guys. :)

1st Death Saving Throw is 4. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2024066/)

Next Round Actions:

Fargrim will use his Second Wind as a Minor Action this round, which brings him to 7 hp and consciousness.  

He will stand up as a Move Action.  

As a Standard Action, he will flank the brain opposite Ridcully and Duel Strike the brain.

Fargrim's Duel Strike attacks hits AC 21 and AC 10 for 9 and 11 damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2024091/), respectively.

Edwena, once the brain knocks Fargrim unconscious again, he would appreciate any help you can give. :)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on April 14, 2009, 02:14:09 pm
Edwena steps in front of Fargrim to protect his injured body.  "Avandra, help me shred this monstrosity," she attacks with radiance.  Her eyes glisten as the cavern's darkness is overcome with light.  As her attack plays out against the brain, Edwena bends a knee to Fargrim and prays to heal his wounds.

OOC: Using Divine Glow to shatter the glass if possible and damage the floating brain.  Healing Fargrim with a healing surge +8 = 15 HP's I believe.  Also will the -5 still affect my DG? If this counts as a good hit, then those within 3 squares get +2 to their next attack roll.  

Divine Glow attack. (1d20+4=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2024036/)
Damage for D.G. (1d8+4=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2024052/)

H.S. bonus healing (1d6=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2024014/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 14, 2009, 02:56:27 pm
Edwena: Note that you can use Healing word as a minor action (so you can attack, AND heal Fargrim).
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on April 14, 2009, 03:16:05 pm
Quote from: Abyssal Maw;296453
Edwena: Note that you can use Healing word as a minor action (so you can attack, AND heal Fargrim).


This has been edited.  I wasn't thinking in terms of this round.  Hope that helps.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 15, 2009, 10:34:21 am
(Venosha, no prob!)

Repost of init starting with Edwena...

Vathalin 24
Fargrim 17
Ridcully 17
The Evil Brain 11
Edwena 10
Shroom 2


     Edwena steps in front of Fargrim to protect his injured body. "Avandra, help me shred this monstrosity," she attacks with radiance. Her eyes glisten as the cavern's darkness is overcome with light. As her attack plays out against the brain, Edwena bends a knee to Fargrim and prays to heal his wounds.

The divine glow blasts the area with radiant light, and you can all briefly see the silhouette of the eerie floating glass capsule outlined for a microsecond. There is a popping glass sound and more fizzling.

On the ground, Fargrim sputters and seems to stir! He is laying prone, and is weapon is nearby.

Shroom rolls his flaming sphere towards the evil brain.. and launches a magic missile after it, which flies wide and ricochets down the staircase.

Vathalin runs forward to attack the evil brain..and misses.

Fargrim gets to his feet, picking up his double axe, and touches his head where the mind touch hit him. He straightens his helmet, and shakes off the worst of his injuries. He can dimly see Vathalin swinging wildly at nothing...and then a hint of the bubbling and fizzing liquid splashing the area.  

Ridcully is next... (any change in tactics?)

====OOC=====
Edwena hits with a 23 for 8 damage...There's no penalty to her to-hit because she uses an area effect spell (good call, btw).

The evil brain is down to 19 hp and "bloodied". Fargrim is healed up to surge+8.

Shrooms magic missile missed.

Vathalin charges the evil brain, but misses with a 3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2025618/) (it is invisible, after all).

Fargrim stands as a move action, second wind is a minor (healing back another 7 hp), and picking up his weapon is a minor action. he can attack on the next round.

Ridcully is still at 6hp, Fargrim is back up to 22hp.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on April 15, 2009, 10:50:57 am
Taking advantage of the brief glimpse of the monstrosity, Ridcully leaps forward and attempts to strike the thing.

OOC: Piercing Strike - 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2025643/)

Not very optimistic, but just in case, damage = 8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2025645/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 15, 2009, 11:15:57 am
Quote from: Sigmund;296709
Taking advantage of the brief glimpse of the monstrosity, Ridcully leaps forward and attempts to strike the thing.

OOC: Piercing Strike - 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2025643/)

Not very optimistic, but just in case, damage = 8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2025645/)


(you can flank if you like..)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on April 15, 2009, 12:42:24 pm
Edwena waits for Ridcully's attack before she calls upon Avandra once more.  "May your light burn this foe once more," she casts the pray in the direction of the fizzing noise.  

LOF Attack (1d20+4=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2025769/)
LOF damage (1d8+4=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2025774/)

OOC: Healing word prayers used up this encounter, so I don't think I can heal again until this encounter is over.  Waiting for the brain to attack and I will change from DG to LOF for another radiant light attack.  Ouch!  It sucks when your damage is better then your hit.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on April 15, 2009, 01:05:04 pm
Quote from: Abyssal Maw;296714
(you can flank if you like..)


Ok, that would add 8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2025830/) to the damage.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 15, 2009, 09:22:10 pm
Repost starting with Ridcully...

Vathalin 24
Fargrim 17
Ridcully 17
The Evil Brain 11
Edwena 10
Shroom 2

Ridcully takes the opportunity to slip behind the outline of the brain (now invisible..but faultily so..) and flanks with Vathalin. He stabs at the fizzing shadow, but misses the mark. He feels the jar swing by him at one point.. and he knows he missed by millimeters.  

The evil brain suddenly shimmers into view, and you realize it is having a hard time maintaining it's invisibility. The flaming sphere burns it, and the liquid inside seems to boil.

There is another lightning flash of bubbling ectoplasm that reaches out towards each of you...followed by gurgling maniacal laughter. The high-pitched underwater voice booms out..

"Fools! You will be fuel for the FINAL ENGINE. I will reanimate your bodies as slaves for my lab!"

Ridcully drops unconscious at this point and metallic laughter rings throughout the staircase.  

"Beg for your lives, fools!"

Edwena answers back with a desperate lance of faith, which misses. And Shroom launches another magic missile, which flies wide.

"I need no oafish orc bodyguards.. I need no invisibility to deal with fools like you. .."

the liquid in the brain-jar is now fully boiling, and Shroom maneuvers the flaming sphere back underneath it.

Vathalin pours on the attack..and lands a solid hit against the brain finally, which seems to crack the jar with a shuddering overhead impact from his greatsword.

Fargrim moves up and unleashes a single well placed cut that neatly cleaves the jar in half.. fizzing green liquid and glass shards explode around the room.

The blackened evil brain lies squirming on the floor... next to the unconscious form of Ridcully. . .








====OOC====
Ridcully starts with a 20 to hit (+2 for flank to make it a 22, but -5 to account for invisible) it goes down to only 17, and Ridcully misses..but just barely! Ridcully is suffering a -2 to will saves from the last Mind Stab, and he makes a save against that effect now: 1d20=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2026467/). he is still suffering -2 to will defense.

The Evil brain goes visible (it can only maintain invisible until the start of it's next turn, and must attempt to recharge with a 4-6 on a d6). It attempts to recharge and rolls a 3. 1d6=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2026460/). It fails. It takes 5 damage from the Flaming sphere.

The evil brain is now down to 14 hp and "bloodied".

The brain shifts to the side, out from between Vathalin and Ridcully and attempts another Mind stab (close burst 3). This time, it targets Vathalin, Fargrim, Edwena, and Ridcully. (in that order, this attacks Will):1d20+8=16, 1d20+8=12, 1d20+8=26, 1d20+8=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2026470/)

(hits Vathalin)(his Fargrim -yes, with a 12)(hits Edwena)(hits Ridcully)

This does a total of 1d6+4=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2026475/) damage to each of you. Knocking Ridcully down to -4, Fargrim down to 12, Edwena to 13 hp, Vathalin to 3 hp. Shroom is fine back in the rear for now.

Edwena's LOF misses, but not by much. Shroom's final magic missile roll misses also, but again..not by much.

Vathalin attacks with oath of Pursuit: 1d20+5=18, 1d20+5=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2026487/) Taking the 19 (which is a hit), he does 1d10+4=9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2026488/) damage.

The Evil Brain is down to 4 hp.

Fargrims final cut hits (ac 21) and kills (9 damage) the evil brain.
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 15, 2009, 09:23:35 pm
Inlaid into the fragments of the brain jar are several encrusted moonstones (4 stones worth 30 gp each) and a coiled length of silver wire worth 120 gp.


OOC: This battle was worth a total of 160 XP for each of you. Please mark it on your sheets!
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Drohem on April 15, 2009, 10:10:42 pm
"Moradin's teeth!"  Fargrim spit at the blackened brain, "Edwena!  Ridcully needs help!"
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Venosha on April 16, 2009, 11:20:11 am
After a few moments of catching her breath, Edwena walks over to Ridcully's location and pulls out her holy symbol.  She quietly kneels beside his damaged body holding the symbol above his head, as she prays for his healthy return. "Your healing is needed once more, Avandra," Edwena whispers.  


OOC: After a moment of rest, Edwena will use healing word on herself and Ridcully (I think that's what the rules state?) Ridcully will have the HS bonus giving heal surge +9=14 hp's.  Edwena gets heal surge +7= 12 hp's.

HS bonus (1d6=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2027209/)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Abyssal Maw on April 16, 2009, 11:41:00 am
Once you are out of the encounter, the power to heal returns to Edwena, and Ridcully is helped. His eyelids flicker open, and you find yourselves standing around on the staircase landing, exhausted, covered in blood and gently fizzing necrotic brain-juice, with the remains of the evil brain jar itself scattered across the area.


OOC:

I'm estimating that many of you have blown through your daily powers. Edwena still carries the haunted doll.  Only 6 of the famous 12 Skeletons have been defeated.

I want to thank everyone for playing this far, and I am going to possibly relaunch at a later date. I've had a lot of fun with this little online game!
If and when I do so, you may keep your updated characters (complete with gold, items, and XP)
Title: Beneath the Invisible Tower
Post by: Sigmund on April 17, 2009, 10:13:21 am
Thanks for running it