SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Kickstarter!

Started by dbm, August 31, 2016, 02:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbm

Announced via EN World, launching tomorrow it appears.

David Johansen

Somewhere between an "about time" and a "head desk" we'll see what's in the box.

I'd also like to suggest that they could have done superheroes or space or something.  This would have been great back when fourth edition D&D was floundering.  Now?  Well, it might fly but 5th edition D&D is going strong.

I'll pledge this one regardless.
Fantasy Adventure Comic, games, and more http://www.uncouthsavage.com

dbm

I'll back it, too, even though I already have all of DF in electronic format. Having something to give to prospective players and say "let's playing this" is powerful.

DavetheLost

I don't even like GURPS and this is tempting.

Especially after seeing what SJG did with Ogre Designer's Edition.

remial

if it were an all in one book, rather then a boxed set I'd be in.

estar

Quote from: remial;916463if it were an all in one book, rather then a boxed set I'd be in.

The comment was made that because it in five books that it may work out it better for actual play as the different parts can distributed to those who need it at the time.

David Johansen

Just what the books are and what format they're in is the real question.

I'm guessing GURPS Lite is in there.  I think a pure rule book that's fully integrated would be better but there's no reason they can't do both.  A booklet of pregenerated character sheets would help with the pick up and play value so I expect to see one.  A booklet of monster stat cards would also be nice.  I don't think Dungeon Fantasy has ever done a setting so we might see that.  One thing I'd hope to see is poster sized battle maps instead of cardboard tiles.  Really, just plain old, functional hex maps.  Maybe the All In A Night's Work solitaire adventure?

Simlasa

This is very tempting. I've been having a bit of resurgence of interest in GURPS lately... so backing this seems likely.

DouglasCole

A bit of marketing and cheerleading:

Dungeon Fantasy Boxed Set announced!

And a bit more extra info, courtesy of a text interview with Phil Reed

Dungeon Fantasy Boxed Set - Q&A with Phil Reed

Plus, of course: Thursday is GURPSDay!

GURPS Day Summary Aug 26 - Sept 1, 2016

TheShadow

You can shake your fists at the sky. You can do a rain dance. You can ignore the clouds completely. But none of them move the clouds.

- Dave "The Inexorable" Noonan solicits community feedback before 4e\'s release

dbm

I've backed - having an entry-level style product will be really useful even though I have a metric tonne of othe GURPS material already.

dbm

There is the option to just get the five books as PDFs, now, if that makes a better option for people. See update 2 for details.

David Johansen

I'm seeing a lot of "pledging $1 to comment, want better European shipping) I wonder how much the pledges would jump if they put something in for that.

It's an interesting kickstarter.

Earlier this year (I think it was this year, man I'm getting old) I started a thread entitled "Raise A Million Dollars For GURPS" on the SJG forums.  My premise was that we could bribe SJG to support GURPS with print projects.  Nothing came of it of course.  I'm not claiming any credit here.

On the other hand a kickstarter set up like this feels a lot like that.  It's a high end project with a very high funding goal.  There's no, funded at $1000 for a 64 page  GURPS lite Fantasy booklet.  The stretch goals are all shipping discounts.  Really, it's a bit like extortion, "pledge our kickstarter or the game you love will be lost forever mwahahahahahahah!"

I'm not complaining, it's basically what we've been asking for for over a decade and something we've needed since 4th edition came out.  Something that makes GURPS accessible to new players.  I've always believed that GURPS'  4e's high priced format made it a regressive product that would eventually die out, which it did.  Sure, pdfs made it possible to carry on with what amounts to high end fanzine support.  Oh well, back in the first edition days I voted for $12 saddle stitched supplements under 100 pages.  What can I say, I'm cheap.

I suspect that success here and in the future expansions including the hinted Space Opera will lead to a 4.5 or even 5th edition.

estar

Quote from: David Johansen;916759Earlier this year (I think it was this year, man I'm getting old) I started a thread entitled "Raise A Million Dollars For GURPS" on the SJG forums.  My premise was that we could bribe SJG to support GURPS with print projects.  Nothing came of it of course.  I'm not claiming any credit here.

Hey I been advocating this project for years too.

Since 2008.

I guess we will see if I was full of shit now. :)

Quote from: David Johansen;916759On the other hand a kickstarter set up like this feels a lot like that.  It's a high end project with a very high funding goal.  There's no, funded at $1000 for a 64 page  GURPS lite Fantasy booklet.  The stretch goals are all shipping discounts.  Really, it's a bit like extortion, "pledge our kickstarter or the game you love will be lost forever mwahahahahahahah!"

Actually it makes sense in regards to how Munchkin and Board games dominate their company's business. Unless there is a compelling reason, every $1 of labor spent by SJ Games is best spend on Munchkin, their other board games, and then GURPS. This kickstarter is a chance for the fanbase and the market to change that equation to shove GURPS into the other board games. The $100,000 I assume is what it will take for GURPS to equal what they get from their other board games.

There is another path in that they could just open up GURPS to third party publishers and let them provide the labor. But that not likely to happen in the near future.

Quote from: David Johansen;916759I suspect that success here and in the future expansions including the hinted Space Opera will lead to a 4.5 or even 5th edition.
I think the focus should be implementing GURPS as a series of RPGs. It will amount to a 4.5e/5e anyway because of how you can hide the math and rules with a modular setup. Similar to how the Spaceships hides the use of Vehicles for 4e behind its modules. And 4e Vehicles is not even released yet. If they do ever release Vehicles for 4e then you will probably see how they built the Spaceship modules