This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.
NOTICE: Some online security services are reporting that information for a limited number of users from this site is for sale on the "dark web." As of right now, there is no direct evidence of this, but change your password just to be safe.
The RPGPundit's Own Forum Rules
This part of the site is controlled by the RPGPundit. This is where he discusses topics that he finds interesting. You may post here, but understand that there are limits. The RPGPundit can shut down any thread, topic of discussion, or user in a thread at his pleasure. This part of the site is essentially his house, so keep that in mind. Note that this is the only part of the site where political discussion is permitted, but is regulated by the RPGPundit.

Author Topic: NOTICE: Don't Come In If You're Going to Have A Bad Time. Show Some Self-Control  (Read 21840 times)

Rincewind1

  • Have YOU got any
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7685
    • http://www.smerf.fero.pl
Sounds safespacian to me.
Furthermore, I consider that  This is Why We Don't Like You thread should be closed

Tod13

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 979
Are people that really scared of an "ignore thread" button? It would be convenient for those who have a life offline or bad memories and don't remember which of the 6-8 current running threads (in which we commented) we are still interested in and are still interesting (and who don't subscribe to threads because the rapid descent into crap of some threads makes it not worth it). It might also encourage people to "let go" of threads that devolve to the same crap over and over again.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 10:28:21 PM by Tod13 »

RPGPundit

  • Administrator - The Final Boss of Internet Shitlords
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 47402
    • http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com
Quote from: Rincewind1;936989
Sounds safespacian to me.


This is the opposite of that. "Safespaces" are based on the idea of censoring anything that might offend someone. This is demanding that people be responsible for owning their own sense of offendedness. No one else needs to shut up because they don't like what's being said, and no one is forcing them to read what offends them. If they're offended/triggered/whatever by what's being said, why the fuck are they sticking around and reading it?  Either stop being a fucking pussy, or stop coming to the threads you know you'll be so traumatized by.
LION & DRAGON: Medieval-Authentic OSR Roleplaying is available now! You only THINK you've played 'medieval fantasy' until you play L&D.


My Blog:  http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com/
The most famous uruguayan gaming blog on the planet!

NEW!
Check out my short OSR supplements series; The RPGPundit Presents!


Dark Albion: The Rose War! The OSR fantasy setting of the history that inspired Shakespeare and Martin alike.
Also available in Variant Cover form!
Also, now with the CULTS OF CHAOS cult-generation sourcebook

ARROWS OF INDRA
Arrows of Indra: The Old-School Epic Indian RPG!
NOW AVAILABLE: AoI in print form

LORDS OF OLYMPUS
The new Diceless RPG of multiversal power, adventure and intrigue, now available.

James Gillen

  • Caress Me Down
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3981
Again, free will seems to be too much for some people.

JG
-My own opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time. And anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass.
 -Christopher Hitchens
-Be very very careful with any argument that calls for hurting specific people right now in order to theoretically help abstract people later.
-Daztur

Rincewind1

  • Have YOU got any
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7685
    • http://www.smerf.fero.pl
Quote from: RPGPundit;937049
This is the opposite of that. "Safespaces" are based on the idea of censoring anything that might offend someone. This is demanding that people be responsible for owning their own sense of offendedness. No one else needs to shut up because they don't like what's being said, and no one is forcing them to read what offends them. If they're offended/triggered/whatever by what's being said, why the fuck are they sticking around and reading it?  Either stop being a fucking pussy, or stop coming to the threads you know you'll be so traumatized by.

Pussy? I ain't traumatized by your bullshit one bit, I just ain't much in a mood to fight you and your bunch of alt-right cheerleaders every time I sneak my head into the wasteland that the political part of this forum has become. It was fun for a while but whatever the reasons, you have recently went full retard as far as I am concerned, and I no longer have any desire to speak with someone who lunches such accusations as me selling out my classmates alongside Merkel (if only because seeing how I was born in the 90s, I'd have a rather hard time selling people to communist secret police). Verbal wrestling is sure fun, but I had my share of it for the year.


And yes, it is safe-spacian. First step of it, actually. "Don't answer if you know you're gonna have a bad time (because you don't fit in) is about 2-3 steps away from "You just aren't a good fit for the board." Setting a mob on someone ain't the same as banning, sure, but it's mostly semantics. You're not taking steps to raise the level of conversation, you are taking steps that only those who fit in (and hold no dissenting opinions) are part of it. Which is the very definition of safe space.

And it'd not be even that much of a problem if it wasn't for your cheerleaders routinely disrupting regular RPG conversations to wage their crusades on Cultural Marxism (TM). The quality of discussion here was steadily dropping as the old school grognards left back in the 5e debacle days (which I am sure your ego and behaviour had nothing to do with), and nowadays, with them mostly gone, with you trying as hard as you can to fuck up what remains of this website as you possibly can. I can't see any way but downhill, but hey - I always considered post-apocalyptic fiction to be my favourite genre, so be my guest. No skin off my nose if I come here more to laugh than for gaming content. The only thing I feel bad is that I once defended your sorry ass.

Quote from: James Gillen;937091
Again, free will seems to be too much for some people.

JG

I've got plenty of free will, but as Tristam said best, some of us don't feel 100% good coming to bar where you know in the back room people are discussing whether or not Iraqis are genetically predisposed against democracy.

And as a guy who used to frequent such dive(s), I can tell you that sooner or later it ain't ending well.

Fuck's sake, I know that in US "love it or leave it" is considered a genuine argument, but I thought we were generally smarter on this website.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 07:55:08 AM by Rincewind1 »
Furthermore, I consider that  This is Why We Don't Like You thread should be closed

Koltar

  • Openly GURPS Loving
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8158
Quote from: Rincewind1;937223
Pussy? I ain't traumatized by your bullshit one bit,.......

Fuck's sake, I know that in US "love it or leave it" is considered a genuine argument, but I thought we were generally smarter on this website.

Dude,
 Have you thought about trying de-caff?

- Ed C.
The return of 'You can't take the Sky From me!'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUn-eN8mkDw&feature=rec-fresh+div

This is what a really cool FANTASY RPG should be like :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-WnjVUBDbs

Still here, still alive, at least Seven years now...

Spinachcat

  • Toxic SocioCat
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • S
  • Posts: 14293
Fuck decaf! It's neutered coffee. I feel bad for those beans.

BTW Rincewind, do you think there's gonna be much political jizz happening here anymore?  The Electoral College turned out boringly anti-climactic and the daily noise of Red vs. Blue isn't enough to spark the gasoline like the election did.  


Quote from: Tod13;937042
Are people that really scared of an "ignore thread" button?

If we have an Ignore Poster button, I see no reason we can't have an Ingore Thread button.

I find the Ignore button concept lame, but it seems to be popular with forum folk.

RPGPundit

  • Administrator - The Final Boss of Internet Shitlords
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 47402
    • http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com
If anyone makes off-topic political posts on any forum other than the Pundit's forum, moderators should be alerted to this fact. It's not allowed.
LION & DRAGON: Medieval-Authentic OSR Roleplaying is available now! You only THINK you've played 'medieval fantasy' until you play L&D.


My Blog:  http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com/
The most famous uruguayan gaming blog on the planet!

NEW!
Check out my short OSR supplements series; The RPGPundit Presents!


Dark Albion: The Rose War! The OSR fantasy setting of the history that inspired Shakespeare and Martin alike.
Also available in Variant Cover form!
Also, now with the CULTS OF CHAOS cult-generation sourcebook

ARROWS OF INDRA
Arrows of Indra: The Old-School Epic Indian RPG!
NOW AVAILABLE: AoI in print form

LORDS OF OLYMPUS
The new Diceless RPG of multiversal power, adventure and intrigue, now available.

Tod13

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 979
Quote from: Spinachcat;937429

If we have an Ignore Poster button, I see no reason we can't have an Ingore Thread button.

I find the Ignore button concept lame, but it seems to be popular with forum folk.

It was 73% tongue in cheek. I'm just tired of sorting through threads that have devolved into crap. I have a horrible memory and forget if a thread is still interesting.

If I were writing the forum software, I'd instead make it a thread ranking system (kind of like Soylent News uses for posts), where you can override the automatic sorting/exposure to rank something as "not interesting, don't show me". But that's a lot more complicated than a plain old "hide this please" button, and also requires the forum culture to support such a ranking.

I don't have anyone on ignore here. Nobody is stalking me (yet) and most of the constant forum pairing don't start until threads have become crap anyway.

Crüesader

  • BANNED
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1116
Quote from: RPGPundit;937432
If anyone makes off-topic political posts on any forum other than the Pundit's forum, moderators should be alerted to this fact. It's not allowed.

I came here actually because I heard about you.  You fucking degenerate, you.  ;)

Anyway, I'll bring up a problem right now, in all fairness:

1- No complaining about how the Pundit's piece of the forum is 'ruining' the forum, just because you don't like it or disagree with it.  

2- Don't post any sociopolitical stuff outside Pundit's forum.  Mods will move it there most of the time, if it encroaches on that.

3- If Pundit doesn't like the topic or it isn't specifically tailored to his own interest, then it will be closed/deleted.  Despite, you know, rule #1.

Just sort of want to put that out there, because that's been the case in the past.  Fair is fair, and if you say "It's my forum, I do what I want" then okay, have it your way.

On to other things.

Quote from: Rincewind1;937223
It was fun for a while but whatever the reasons, you have recently went full retard as far as I am concerned, and I no longer have any desire to speak with someone who lunches such accusations as me selling out my classmates alongside Merkel (if only because seeing how I was born in the 90s, I'd have a rather hard time selling people to communist secret police). Verbal wrestling is sure fun, but I had my share of it for the year.

"Full Retard" = "People who disagree with me".  I disagree with much of what you say, but I don't think you're retarded.  I think you may be a person who sees the same problems everyone else does, and you see a different solution.  Or you may be misinformed, or not informed enough, or simply have a different moral position.  However, you're later going to complain about 'ego' while in the same post claiming people who disagree with you are 'retarded'.  

Quote from: Rincewind1;937223
And yes, it is safe-spacian. First step of it, actually. "Don't answer if you know you're gonna have a bad time (because you don't fit in) is about 2-3 steps away from "You just aren't a good fit for the board." Setting a mob on someone ain't the same as banning, sure, but it's mostly semantics. You're not taking steps to raise the level of conversation, you are taking steps that only those who fit in (and hold no dissenting opinions) are part of it. Which is the very definition of safe space.

No, it isn't.  It's saying that if you're going to whine for people to do away with all of these topics because you dislike them, then simply do not take a role in discussing those topics.  That's it.  It'd be like you coming over to my house to complain about how I arrange my furniture- if you do not like it, and insist on complaining or demanding I remove the furniture- do not come over.  Or, suck it up and stop being a pussy.

Quote from: Rincewind1;937223
Pussy? I ain't traumatized by your bullshit one bit, I just ain't much in a mood to fight you and your bunch of alt-right cheerleaders every time I sneak my head into the wasteland that the political part of this forum has become.

You didn't even know what the Alt-Right was before someone came on television two months ago and told you they were racists and assholes.  Quit pretending you know anything about it.  And I don't care if you think it's an argument or not, if you dislike it- there are other forums.  Or start your own- hey, tell you what- I will even HELP you start your own forum.

Quote from: James Gillen;935656
Free will seems to be too much for some people.

Exactly.  This is why I think we should start considering 'legal adulthood' to be a series of achievements, rather than an age.  When 20-30 year olds can't control their emotions on the internet or in normal life scenarios, we probably should evaluate this.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 10:00:51 AM by Crüesader »

RPGPundit

  • Administrator - The Final Boss of Internet Shitlords
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 47402
    • http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com
Quote from: Crüesader;937662
I came here actually because I heard about you.  You fucking degenerate, you.  ;)

Anyway, I'll bring up a problem right now, in all fairness:

1- No complaining about how the Pundit's piece of the forum is 'ruining' the forum, just because you don't like it or disagree with it.  

2- Don't post any sociopolitical stuff outside Pundit's forum.  Mods will move it there most of the time, if it encroaches on that.

3- If Pundit doesn't like the topic or it isn't specifically tailored to his own interest, then it will be closed/deleted.  Despite, you know, rule #1.

Just sort of want to put that out there, because that's been the case in the past.  Fair is fair, and if you say "It's my forum, I do what I want" then okay, have it your way.


You pose this as a problem, but I literally don't understand how this is a problem? It seems to me like you're listing three things here:
1) I don't want people complaining about how my forum is 'wrecking' theRPGsite when no one is required to come here
2) You can't post political stuff outside anywhere on theRPGsite outside of my forum.
3) My forum is only for posting stuff that interests me, and if it doesn't I will close it.

How do those three things add up to a problem?

Wracking my brain about it, but really I'm just guessing here, it seems like you're trying to say that your 'problem' is that you can't post about politics outside the Pundit's Subforum, but inside the Pundit's Subforum you might have your topic closed if I have no interest in it. Is that it? Is that your problem?

Because if so, the flaw in your logic is your assumption that there MUST be a place on theRPGsite (a site founded by me about RPGs) for posting general political things. There is no reason at all why there must be. The Pundit's Forum is NOT about politics, it's about ME and things that interest me.  It is the only place where political topics are allowed on the entire RPGsite, but only under the condition of fulfilling the actual mandate of that subforum: the political topic must interest me (or, I guess in theory, be "about" me in some way).
LION & DRAGON: Medieval-Authentic OSR Roleplaying is available now! You only THINK you've played 'medieval fantasy' until you play L&D.


My Blog:  http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com/
The most famous uruguayan gaming blog on the planet!

NEW!
Check out my short OSR supplements series; The RPGPundit Presents!


Dark Albion: The Rose War! The OSR fantasy setting of the history that inspired Shakespeare and Martin alike.
Also available in Variant Cover form!
Also, now with the CULTS OF CHAOS cult-generation sourcebook

ARROWS OF INDRA
Arrows of Indra: The Old-School Epic Indian RPG!
NOW AVAILABLE: AoI in print form

LORDS OF OLYMPUS
The new Diceless RPG of multiversal power, adventure and intrigue, now available.

Anon Adderlan

  • Shit Just Got Emu!
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1426
Quote from: James Gillen;936204
There's also that "unsubscribe from thread" option if you get email updates.  I've used it more than once. ;)


I think you've missed my point, which is you don't have to ignore email because you only get what's sent to you. But if you become suddenly popular or get put on a spam list I guarantee you'll be filtering those fuckers out, if it's not already being filtered for you.

Quote from: Tod13;937042
Are people that really scared of an "ignore thread" button?


Well they did lose their minds over the "thread voting" system.

Quote from: Rincewind1;937223
And yes, it is safe-spacian. First step of it, actually. "Don't answer if you know you're gonna have a bad time (because you don't fit in) is about 2-3 steps away from "You just aren't a good fit for the board." Setting a mob on someone ain't the same as banning, sure, but it's mostly semantics. You're not taking steps to raise the level of conversation, you are taking steps that only those who fit in (and hold no dissenting opinions) are part of it. Which is the very definition of safe space.


Safe spaces are all about places where you won't be judged, and this most definitely ain't it. The number of times I've seen #ThePundit called on his shit on his own board would have gotten someone banned on RPG.net a hundred times over. And where are these mobs you speak of?

Quote from: Rincewind1;937223
some of us don't feel 100% good coming to bar where you know in the back room people are discussing whether or not Iraqis are genetically predisposed against democracy.


Which describes the entire #Internet, so maybe you should stop using it.

Again, a communications medium is no more a physical space that mean words physical violence. Are they related? Sure. But treating them as equivalent is ignorant if not deliberately dishonest. And once you ban those discussions on Iraqi genetics, discussions on global warming and evolution can't be far behind.

We're living in a society which considers 'fake' news to be a bigger problem than not critically evaluating what one reads, and would rather some authority decide what they hear. That's fucking terrifying. And while this may be a rather small and insignificant corner of the internet full of people I don't really connect with, I'd still rather participate here than somewhere that will silence, or worse, change the meaning of my words.

Crüesader

  • BANNED
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1116
Quote from: RPGPundit;937767
Because if so, the flaw in your logic is your assumption that there MUST be a place on theRPGsite (a site founded by me about RPGs) for posting general political things. There is no reason at all why there must be. The Pundit's Forum is NOT about politics, it's about ME and things that interest me.  It is the only place where political topics are allowed on the entire RPGsite, but only under the condition of fulfilling the actual mandate of that subforum: the political topic must interest me (or, I guess in theory, be "about" me in some way).

Oh, I'm not saying there -must- be.  But it is kind of giving the folks around you a bit of fuel.  I mean, let's face it- the nutshell is that any non-gaming talk must directly appeal to Mr. Pundit, so therefore Mr. Pundit completely controls any and all of this.  

You seem like a smart guy.  So I think you can see what I'm getting at.

It is what it is.  If that's what you want, that's what you get.  It's your little section, you run it your way.  Just be advised: it doesn't make you seem much different from the other end of this horse-shoe.  The scrubs on 'another site' shut down any and all discussion they dislike with one excuse, and you use another.  

As someone who generally agrees with you much of the time, I can still tug your sleeve and point to the problem right here.

But if that's the way you want it, this isn't a public park- it's a forum and you can run it your way.

crkrueger

  • Hulk in the Vineyard
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12489
Quote from: Crüesader;937884
Oh, I'm not saying there -must- be.  But it is kind of giving the folks around you a bit of fuel.  I mean, let's face it- the nutshell is that any non-gaming talk must directly appeal to Mr. Pundit, so therefore Mr. Pundit completely controls any and all of this.  

You seem like a smart guy.  So I think you can see what I'm getting at.

It is what it is.  If that's what you want, that's what you get.  It's your little section, you run it your way.  Just be advised: it doesn't make you seem much different from the other end of this horse-shoe.  The scrubs on 'another site' shut down any and all discussion they dislike with one excuse, and you use another.  

As someone who generally agrees with you much of the time, I can still tug your sleeve and point to the problem right here.

But if that's the way you want it, this isn't a public park- it's a forum and you can run it your way.


If Pundit were shutting down threads willy nilly every time someone posted something he disagreed with, then maybe you'd have a point.  However, he doesn't, he usually instead comes out both barrels blazing and people give it right back, so it's a false equivalency you've concocted there.  

"Closing this thread because it bores me or has turned into something silly" is not "Closing this thread because someone dared to post an opinion I can't bear seeing expressed."
Even the the "cutting edge" storygamers for all their talk of narrative, plot, and drama are fucking obsessed with the god damned rules they use. - Estar

Yes, Sean Connery's thumb does indeed do megadamage. - Spinachcat

Isuldur is a badass because he stopped Sauron with a broken sword, but Iluvatar is the badass because he stopped Sauron with a hobbit. -Malleus Arianorum

"Tangency Edition" D&D would have no classes or races, but 17 genders to choose from. -TristramEvans

Crüesader

  • BANNED
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1116
Quote from: CRKrueger;937962
If Pundit were shutting down threads willy nilly every time someone posted something he disagreed with, then maybe you'd have a point.  However, he doesn't, he usually instead comes out both barrels blazing and people give it right back, so it's a false equivalency you've concocted there.

"Closing this thread because it bores me or has turned into something silly" is not "Closing this thread because someone dared to post an opinion I can't bear seeing expressed."

I can understand locking a threat if it's turned into shitposting.  However, anything off-topic must directly appeal to Mr. Pundit, which sort of limits the topics.  I'm not saying he must allow other discussions- it is, after all, his part of the forum to do with as he pleases.

The different between Mr. Pundit and the Limp-Wristers elsewhere is that they're pretending to be offended about something they don't want to discuss, Pundit just doesn't want to discuss them and shuts it down.

Again, it's his.  He can do with it as he pleases.  But it is a bit silly that all off-topic discussions must directly fall under his purview and be laid out to appease his own personal fancies.  

If that's the way it is, that's just the way it is.