SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

I just left r/OSR after joining it a week ago. Is OSR community like this everywhere?

Started by K9ine, July 15, 2020, 04:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K9ine

I have newly become interested in the OSR games and join the subreddit. I don't know much about Zak S except that he is connected to the Flame Princess games (they seem to also hate the creator James Raggi) but every time I started to get involved in any conversations it was just constant hatred to anyone who had seemly transgressed in some way. Is this attitude common in the OSR or should I just avoid the whole OSR community?

Arkansan

The OSR subreddit is a shit show. For the most part they're full blown in to woke politics and follow that hive mind fairly hard.

K9ine

My question is should I bother with OSR at all? Will I find this behavior in every OSR group I visit? Because if I do I will happily fuck right off.

Valatar

Quote from: K9ine;1140014My question is should I bother with OSR at all? Will I find this behavior in every OSR group I visit? Because if I do I will happily fuck right off.

It shouldn't be too difficult to find a group that's more interested in playing a game than having a purity spiral, but reddit is probably not the place for finding such people.

Quote from: K9ine;1140020Good to know. Know of any good communities?

Yes. therpgsite.com

You found it!

Omega

Quote from: K9ine;1140014My question is should I bother with OSR at all? Will I find this behavior in every OSR group I visit? Because if I do I will happily fuck right off.

No. You will find some fairly good groups. Redit currently is a mess. RPG.net is a mess, BGG is increasingly a mess. And if it isnt the SJW cultists then its the OSR eletists and fringe nut cases. You are going to run into nuts in any game sooner or later. Preferrably much later.

OSR games can be anything from blatant game theft to respectful homages and everything in between. Scarlet Heroes is one I like as well as Adventurer Conqueror King System, AKA... ACKS.

SavageSchemer

That kind of behavior is common on Reddit and common on Rpg.net (where a dissenting opinion can get you perma-banned). I'd say on this site you'll get into the occasional heated conversation, but nobody's going to move to "cancel" you for an opinion you hold. Another site that's pretty good is RPG Pub - they have a pretty strict "no politics" policy. Political statements on this site should be strictly limited to RPG-related discussion. Anything not game related but political is going to stress the patience of Pundy, who may or may not boot you depending on his mood.

This site is, in general, more all about D&D and its clones than others (my personal observation / opinion), so if you just want to talk OSR, this is a good place for it.

As for whether you should bother with the OSR at all - if you have an interest at all, yes. Of all the game communities out there, I think you're least likely to find the OSR scene blindly following some ideology. You're bound to find like-minded people, particularly if your perspective is that you just came to game.
The more clichéd my group plays their characters, the better. I don't want Deep Drama™ and Real Acting™ in the precious few hours away from my family and job. I want cheap thrills, constant action, involved-but-not-super-complex plots, and cheesy but lovable characters.
From "Play worlds, not rules"

Slambo

Yes, bother with the OSR. Try Dungeon Crawl Classics.

FelixGamingX1

Out of personal experience, don't bother with reddit for tabletop subs. It's as toxic as it gets.
American writer and programmer, since 2016.
https://knightstabletoprpg.com

Spinachcat

Dragonsfoot has an okay OSR community and you won't find the Reddit idiocy getting much traction. However, it's primarily focused on AD&D Revival (the whole reason for the forum's original creation) and some of them aren't OSR friendly, but plenty of OSR authors can be found posting there (and here).

Of course, here the Reddit idiocy gets blasted into a fine red mist.
And then we spend 40 more pages shitting on the fine red mist.

Please feel free to start OSR threads about your favorite OSR games! We have a great many OSR fans (and authors) who are members here.

SavageSchemer

Quote from: Slambo;1140031Yes, bother with the OSR. Try Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Meh. Not my cuppa.

But that raises the question, OP, of which game's you've looked into or are into? From post #1 I gather Lamentations is your thing? What about any others?
The more clichéd my group plays their characters, the better. I don't want Deep Drama™ and Real Acting™ in the precious few hours away from my family and job. I want cheap thrills, constant action, involved-but-not-super-complex plots, and cheesy but lovable characters.

SavageSchemer

Quote from: Spinachcat;1140037Of course, here the Reddit idiocy gets blasted into a fine red mist.
And then we spend 40 more pages shitting on the fine red mist.

I genuinely had a good laugh at this. Truer words were never written.