This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Author Topic: How To Tip Over A Social Media Apple Cart  (Read 6486 times)

jeff37923

• Knight of Common Sense
"Meh."

insubordinate polyhedral

• i
How To Tip Over A Social Media Apple Cart
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 11:20:18 AM »
Private group and I don't have Facebook. tl;dr/copy paste/screenshot?

Mistwell

• Smarter than Arduin
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 11:26:30 AM »
Someone posted the Monte Cook 'Consent in Gaming" book as a recommendation to the Out of Print RPGs group. "If you're looking to run something for a new group and you're not sure how they'll handle certain topics, I've found that the form/questionnaire in this free supplement from Monte Cook Games has been pretty useful. Particularly if you're planning on running some things that could be quite a bit more edgy. (In Nomine, various World of Darkness games, etc.)"

jeff37923

• Knight of Common Sense
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 03:13:28 PM »
Unlike Mistwell's attempted dismissal of the subject matter, there was quite a bit of spirited argument against such consent forms in gaming which was a delight to see. Unfortunately, the Group admin has deleted the entire thread and admonished everyone that we need to respect all Players regardless of how disruptive their antics may be.
"Meh."

Brad

• Semper Qvantvm Potes
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 03:31:18 PM »
Quote from: jeff37923;1131335
Unlike Mistwell's attempted dismissal of the subject matter, there was quite a bit of spirited argument against such consent forms in gaming which was a delight to see. Unfortunately, the Group admin has deleted the entire thread and admonished everyone that we need to respect all Players regardless of how disruptive their antics may be.

So much for free speech...
It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.

Spinachcat

• Toxic SocioCat
  • S
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 05:35:14 PM »
And thus the (slow) rise of free speech platforms like BitChute, Gab and Minds.

Farcebook, InstaCrap, CensorTube and Shitter need to die in a fire.

mAcular Chaotic

• All Evils of this World
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 08:57:33 PM »
That Monte Cook book is pretty good. I don't really see the problem with the consent rules. You can just not use it if nobody in your group is interested, but if someone is, then it's there. Just like other optional rules in games.
Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

trechriron

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 11:50:02 PM »
It's probably the only thing I would use vs. crap-tastic ideas like the X-card. I like the consent form. It's thorough. It can even be used a simple conversation starter at session 0.

However, like in all things, it's optional. Use it or something like it if you want. Or don't.
Trentin C Bergeron (trechriron)
Bard, Creative & RPG Enthusiast

----------------------------------------------------------------------
D.O.N.G. Black-Belt (Thanks tenbones!)

S'mon

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 03:11:33 AM »
Quote from: trechriron;1131389
However, like in all things, it's optional. Use it or something like it if you want. Or don't.

A form like that would definitely deter me from playing a game. One of my current GMs asked us for our triggers pre-game, which from a stranger would have been a big no-no, but she's a good friend so I PM'd her some stuff.

I think content warnings based on the well known cinema ratings are by far the best approach, and if someone like me has a particular neurosis that wouldn't be covered (eg claustrophobic drowning in my case) that's up to us to deal with, not the GM.

Altheus

• A
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 09:24:04 AM »
Quote from: S'mon;1131405
A form like that would definitely deter me from playing a game. One of my current GMs asked us for our triggers pre-game, which from a stranger would have been a big no-no, but she's a good friend so I PM'd her some stuff.

I think content warnings based on the well known cinema ratings are by far the best approach, and if someone like me has a particular neurosis that wouldn't be covered (eg claustrophobic drowning in my case) that's up to us to deal with, not the GM.

I've found it a useful tool, especially when playing with a couple of underage players in the group. It did lead to the situation while preparing for Judge Dredd when a player asked me "What if we ticked police brutality" and I responded "Play another game, in this one you are police brutailty".

People massively overuse the word trigger, it is a psychological term a much greater meaning than "Thing upsets me".

Brad

• Semper Qvantvm Potes
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 09:31:07 AM »
Quote from: Altheus;1131427
It did lead to the situation while preparing for Judge Dredd when a player asked me "What if we ticked police brutality" and I responded "Play another game, in this one you are police brutailty".

Sign up to play Judge Dredd, don't want the cops roughing up anyone...that's like saying you want to play Superman, but Lex Luthor isn't allowed to blow up any bridges.
It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.

jhkim

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 11:24:34 AM »
Quote from: Spinachcat;1131352
And thus the (slow) rise of free speech platforms like BitChute, Gab and Minds.

Farcebook, InstaCrap, CensorTube and Shitter need to die in a fire.
I'm convinced that social media like Facebook and their ilk are a negative influence on culture. But I also think it's wishful thinking that alternatives like Gab are making even a tiny difference in their popularity.

Regarding the Monte Cook "Consent in Gaming" form,
Quote from: Altheus;1131427
People massively overuse the word trigger, it is a psychological term a much greater meaning than "Thing upsets me".
I'll believe that - I'm skeptical of a lot of psychology including triggers. As a gamer, though, I don't have to care about such psychological distinctions. I just want to know "This would make the game not fun for me." If so, that's reason enough to avoid it or lose the player.

Ratman_tf

• Alt-Reich Shitlord
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 11:45:14 AM »
Quote from: jhkim;1131448
I'll believe that - I'm skeptical of a lot of psychology including triggers. As a gamer, though, I don't have to care about such psychological distinctions. I just want to know "This would make the game not fun for me." If so, that's reason enough to avoid it or lose the player.

Don't let your "progressive" friends hear that you're willing to exclude the oppressed.
The notion of an exclusionary and hostile RPG community is a fever dream of zealots who view all social dynamics through a narrow keyhole of structural oppression.
-Haffrung

Kyle Aaron

• high-minded hack
  • high-minded hack
    • The Viking Hat GM
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 08:48:59 PM »
Quote from: S'mon;1131405
A form like that would definitely deter me from playing a game.
"I do not consent to my character having low stats or dying. This would trigger me. Blackleaf, no!"
The Viking Hat GM
Conflict, the adventure game of modern warfare
Wastrel Wednesdays, livestream with Dungeondelver

Mistwell

• Smarter than Arduin
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 10:13:09 PM »
Quote from: jeff37923;1131335
Unlike Mistwell's attempted dismissal of the subject matter,

Jeff, eat a big huge bag of fuck off.

I did not dismiss anything. I posted what was there, word for word, in quotes. I made no comment at all about it, and there wasn't much to see there beyond what I posted when I arrived to that thread.

Someone asked what it was so I posted it because your dickheaded self just posted a link to a private group with no explanation.

I'm tired of it Jeff. You have a fucking problem with me, let's work it out already. But this constant whiny bullshit from you over the smallest little thing like you're a fucking snowflake who cannot take the merest possibility that someone doesn't agree with him 100% of the time has gotten old. Particularly when I post something TO HELP YOU OUT and you give me this bullshit.