SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

RPGPundit's SNL: Is The Band Breaking Up?

Started by RPGPundit, May 23, 2020, 02:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPGPundit

Tonight, 7pm Central time!  In my Saturday Night Livestream I'll be talking about Star Adventurer (& my campaign), Mearls back at D&D, my twitter fight with New Atheists, and why Inappropriate Characters might be breaking up!

Edited to add: Didn't actually end up talking about new atheists, instead talked a lot more about other OSR books and products.

Edit 2: the livestream was saved to a different address for some reason, here it is:

[video=youtube_share;5T8LgoI7Sh0]https://youtu.be/5T8LgoI7Sh0[/youtube]
LION & DRAGON: Medieval-Authentic OSR Roleplaying is available now! You only THINK you\'ve played \'medieval fantasy\' until you play L&D.

My Blog:  http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com/
The most famous uruguayan gaming blog on the planet!

NEW!
Check out my short OSR supplements series; The RPGPundit Presents!

Dark Albion: The Rose War! The OSR fantasy setting of the history that inspired Shakespeare and Martin alike.
Also available in Variant Cover form!
Also, now with the CULTS OF CHAOS cult-generation sourcebook

ARROWS OF INDRA
Arrows of Indra: The Old-School Epic Indian RPG!
NOW AVAILABLE: AoI in print form

LORDS OF OLYMPUS
The new Diceless RPG of multiversal power, adventure and intrigue, now available.

Razor 007

Quote from: RPGPundit;1130998Tonight, 7pm Central time!  In my Saturday Night Livestream I'll be talking about Star Adventurer (& my campaign), Mearls back at D&D, my twitter fight with New Atheists, and why Inappropriate Characters might be breaking up!

[video=youtube_share;5T8LgoI7Sh0]https://youtu.be/5T8LgoI7Sh0[/youtube]

But the tour hasn't even started yet; how can the band do this to us?

Oh, and my amps go to 11.
I need you to roll a perception check.....

VisionStorm

Quote from: RPGPundit;1130998>my twitter fight with New Atheists,
>and why Inappropriate Characters might be breaking up!

I'm not gonna be able to watch this till much later, but something tells me that Grim Jim might have been involved on the other side of that argument.

HappyDaze

Anyone else getting "This video is private" when the click on it?

RPGPundit

Something went weird with the video, it got reloaded as a regular video, the link above should work now.
LION & DRAGON: Medieval-Authentic OSR Roleplaying is available now! You only THINK you\'ve played \'medieval fantasy\' until you play L&D.

NEW!

Dark Albion: The Rose War! The OSR fantasy setting of the history that inspired Shakespeare and Martin alike.

ARROWS OF INDRA

LORDS OF OLYMPUS
The new Diceless RPG of multiversal power, adventure and intrigue, now available.

Shasarak

I have noticed, anecdotally of course, that this last two months has been really hard on peoples mental health in general and several prominent gamers that I follow in particular.  Not just the threat of the invisible enemy but also the isolation of social distancing has made things super tough all around.

I heard there was a poll in England where 28% of respondents wanted indefinite lock downs to continue so it is not just Grimjim out there.
Who da Drow?  U da drow! - hedgehobbit

There will be poor always,
pathetically struggling,
look at the good things you've got! -  Jesus

mightybrain

It's the UK equivalent of Trump derangement syndrome. It started with the Brexit vote, then Labour failed at the polls, twice. The middle class intelligentsia have been having a collective breakdown for the last few years. The lockdown has been the last straw for many. But I think it'll do them good to finally experience a bit of adversity in their ultra privileged existence; maybe it'll build some character.

GameDaddy

Quote from: Shasarak;1131057I heard there was a poll in England where 28% of respondents wanted indefinite lock downs to continue so it is not just Grimjim out there.

Well, it's not only limited to the United Kingdom. There's a group here in the U.S. that seem perfectly happy with an indefinite lockdown. I'm beginning to think they are just extremely anti-social. We have given the doctors enough time to prepare, that was the whole purpose of the quarantine. The whole idea that "We are not going to get infected" is completely ridiculous, because that's not how viruses work, viruses infect people, unless people have natural immunity, or their is a vaccine.
Blackmoor grew from a single Castle to include, first, several adjacent Castles (with the forces of Evil lying just off the edge of the world to an entire Northern Province of the Castle and Crusade Society's Great Kingdom.

~ Dave Arneson

RPGPundit

Quote from: mightybrain;1131195It's the UK equivalent of Trump derangement syndrome. It started with the Brexit vote, then Labour failed at the polls, twice. The middle class intelligentsia have been having a collective breakdown for the last few years. The lockdown has been the last straw for many. But I think it'll do them good to finally experience a bit of adversity in their ultra privileged existence; maybe it'll build some character.

I know a lot of them think of the Lockdown as their route to Leftist power, since that pesky Democracy didn't actually work...

NEW!

ARROWS OF INDRA

LORDS OF OLYMPUS

insubordinate polyhedral

I'd be really sad to see the end of Inappropriate Characters. I like listening to all of your opinions and there's fewer and fewer places where people with different perspectives come together to actually discuss things. The fact that you and Grim Jim worked together honestly gave me hope, cheesy as that is.

Pandemic response is especially hard to get right because there's people's lives on the line, the enemy is invisible and irrational and can't be bargained with, we have to make massively impactful decisions on not only incomplete but constantly changing information, and because people are understandably afraid. And that's before all the politics and disingenuous intentions get involved.

Pundit, I get that you love to argue and I really respect what you do on the site here. I think your representation of a lot of Grim Jim's arguments was harsh and in a forum (ETA - meaning the recorded solo video vs. a discussion) that probably on the balance makes the situation worse, since he's not there to represent or defend himself. If you guys are/were friends at all, especially in light of the stress and mental health impact of the situation, I think you could rep him better in this case, even though you disagree with him and love argumentation. There's a saying that it's easier to be clever than to be kind. You mentioned that you said you're willing to eat crow if the data comes out and shows you're wrong, which, tons of respect for that, too. I just hope you both get a chance to get past this and keep going. The end of Inappropriate Characters would be a huge loss.

trechriron

Quote from: insubordinate polyhedral;1131217...The end of Inappropriate Characters would be a huge loss.

Well said. 100% agree.
Trentin C Bergeron (trechriron)
Bard, Creative & RPG Enthusiast

----------------------------------------------------------------------
D.O.N.G. Black-Belt (Thanks tenbones!)

Spinachcat

The Shamdemic is laughable bullshit and the oncoming train called Great Depression 2.0 is gonna teach the world some harsh lessons.  

And I wish Grim Jim the best as always. He's a good and talented dude.

GeekEclectic

Quote from: insubordinate polyhedral;1131217I think your representation of a lot of Grim Jim's arguments was harsh and in a forum that probably on the balance makes the situation worse, since he's not there to represent or defend himself.
Why not? Was he banned? That doesn't sound right . . .
"I despise weak men in positions of power, and that's 95% of game industry leadership." - Jessica Price
"Isnt that why RPGs companies are so woke in the first place?" - Godsmonkey
*insert Disaster Girl meme here* - Me

insubordinate polyhedral

Quote from: GeekEclectic;1131253Why not? Was he banned? That doesn't sound right . . .

I meant in the video. :)

RPGPundit

Quote from: insubordinate polyhedral;1131217I'd be really sad to see the end of Inappropriate Characters. I like listening to all of your opinions and there's fewer and fewer places where people with different perspectives come together to actually discuss things. The fact that you and Grim Jim worked together honestly gave me hope, cheesy as that is.

Pandemic response is especially hard to get right because there's people's lives on the line, the enemy is invisible and irrational and can't be bargained with, we have to make massively impactful decisions on not only incomplete but constantly changing information, and because people are understandably afraid. And that's before all the politics and disingenuous intentions get involved.

Pundit, I get that you love to argue and I really respect what you do on the site here. I think your representation of a lot of Grim Jim's arguments was harsh and in a forum (ETA - meaning the recorded solo video vs. a discussion) that probably on the balance makes the situation worse, since he's not there to represent or defend himself. If you guys are/were friends at all, especially in light of the stress and mental health impact of the situation, I think you could rep him better in this case, even though you disagree with him and love argumentation. There's a saying that it's easier to be clever than to be kind. You mentioned that you said you're willing to eat crow if the data comes out and shows you're wrong, which, tons of respect for that, too. I just hope you both get a chance to get past this and keep going. The end of Inappropriate Characters would be a huge loss.

There was a great amount of back and forth discussion between me and Grim, on Twitter.

NEW!

ARROWS OF INDRA

LORDS OF OLYMPUS