SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

D&D Space Opera RPGs

Started by RPGPundit, March 26, 2020, 05:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPGPundit

Where I talk about running Space Opera with OSR games in general, and my upcoming Star Adventurer RPG in particular!

[video=youtube_share;R6mo3UhT0P0]https://youtu.be/R6mo3UhT0P0[/youtube]
LION & DRAGON: Medieval-Authentic OSR Roleplaying is available now! You only THINK you\'ve played \'medieval fantasy\' until you play L&D.

My Blog:  http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com/
The most famous uruguayan gaming blog on the planet!

NEW!
Check out my short OSR supplements series; The RPGPundit Presents!

Dark Albion: The Rose War! The OSR fantasy setting of the history that inspired Shakespeare and Martin alike.
Also available in Variant Cover form!
Also, now with the CULTS OF CHAOS cult-generation sourcebook

ARROWS OF INDRA
Arrows of Indra: The Old-School Epic Indian RPG!
NOW AVAILABLE: AoI in print form

LORDS OF OLYMPUS
The new Diceless RPG of multiversal power, adventure and intrigue, now available.

RandyB

Quote from: RPGPundit;1124970Where I talk about running Space Opera with OSR games in general, and my upcoming Star Adventurer RPG in particular!

[video=youtube_share;R6mo3UhT0P0]https://youtu.be/R6mo3UhT0P0[/youtube]

Take my money! :)

S'mon

White Star is the obvious established rival in the OSR 1970s+ TV/film space opera genre. You seem to have forgotten about it!

I don't like the idea of generic alien templates rather than specific aliens - I'd recommend at least providing inspirational sample settings with example aliens & starships.

David Johansen

Oddly enough TSR's Buck Rogers XXVc. isn't space opera, it's hard science fiction.  No ftl, no, antigravity, and the only psi is cats living on Mercury.  The time line on terraforming Mars and Venus and genetically engineering dinosaurs is a bit optimistic.
Fantasy Adventure Comic, games, and more http://www.uncouthsavage.com

Chris24601

My personal feeling is that OSR (if you mean a D&D derivative) is a horrible system to base space opera off of. Space Opera is generally bigger than life heroes and is not particularly class nor gear based (i.e. the heroes rarely use gear significantly different than the common soldier... and when they do, its generally something intrinsic to the character).

Honestly, the best version of D&D for running space opera is probably 4E with its express focus on Big Damn Heroes including broad skill competency (a staple of most Space Opera action heroes), Action Points (for those times when the hero pulls off multiple things in a short span of time) and non-physical hit point recovery (so you don't need custom rules if the setting has no magic/sufficiently advanced technology) and the use of inherent bonuses to remove the gear grind typical to D&D systems. Even better would be the 4E derived version of Gamma World.

Now, if by OSR you're including something like WEG Star Wars; that's a different story entirely as it's a system explicitly designed for space opera. About the only house rule I ever make to it is to turn character points into separate pools for advancement and in-game boosts so that you're not continually burning your XP because you need some extra oomph to survive.

S'mon

Quote from: Chris24601;1124998Now, if by OSR you're including something like WEG Star Wars; that's a different story entirely as it's a system explicitly designed for space opera. About the only house rule I ever make to it is to turn character points into separate pools for advancement and in-game boosts so that you're not continually burning your XP because you need some extra oomph to survive.

Yeah, next time I run space opera I plan to use Mini Six (d6 System, from WEG Star Wars) with bits cannabilised from White Star, Starfinder et al. I ran a couple White Star campaigns but as you say, the D&D base system just isn't that great for space opera.

HappyDaze

Quote from: Chris24601;1124998Now, if by OSR you're including something like WEG Star Wars; that's a different story entirely as it's a system explicitly designed for space opera. About the only house rule I ever make to it is to turn character points into separate pools for advancement and in-game boosts so that you're not continually burning your XP because you need some extra oomph to survive.

We played it that all CP are spent on extra dice (to "burn"), and that you earn XP for advancement by burning CP. In effect, "burning" them is what matures them into points spent on permanent increases. This does mean that the character that has purchased a lot of skill upgrades is likely short on on-hand luck.

Spinachcat

Hulks & Horrors is a very fun OSR space opera-ish RPG. The PDF is free on DriveThruRPG
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/111781/Hulks-and-Horrors---Basic-Black-Edition

Of particular note are the Spaceship Creation Rules. Totally worth reading if you play any space RPG.

The author J Arcane used to post here, but unfortunately went full nutter from TDS.
http://www.bedroomwallpress.com/

Shawn Driscoll

The bedroomwallpress guy is too radicalized to be sending any kind of funds to.

Spinachcat

Hulks & Horrors is a free PDF so you aren't supporting his crazy. Its a damn shame J Arcane went nuts. He wasn't a nutball when he used to post here, and he was creating a quite good free World of Warcraft RPG back in the day. His Arcana Rising RPG, which I think is also a free PDF, is a good urban fantasy OSR game too.

HappyDaze

Quote from: Shawn Driscoll;1125027The bedroomwallpress guy is too radicalized to be sending any kind of funds to.

This a story you can share or at least post a link (one covering the full story, not the above link) to?

JeffB

Watched this last night- I like what I'm hearing. I have run a fair amount of and really like WhiteStar (the original "edition") and your upcoming game sounds like it covers similar fictional ground (yay!).

Are you familiar with WS enough(at all?)  to make a compare/contrast?

Marchand

I'm interested to know what this game is going to do differently from existing OSR SF offerings.
"If the English surrender, it'll be a long war!"
- Scottish soldier on the beach at Dunkirk

Jaeger

Quote from: Chris24601;1124998My personal feeling is that OSR (if you mean a D&D derivative) is a horrible system to base space opera off of. .....

I agree.

OSR systems can be made to work, But what they do best is the D&D genre.

IMHO, Having Lion and Dragon,  something like OpenQuest d100 would be a far better fit system-wise.

L&D would just be a better game if it was a d100 variant - I think the mechanics would just mesh more with what The Pundit is trying to do.

The Sales would not be the same as the d20/OSR version.

Because, the market is for d20 uber alles...
"The envious are not satisfied with equality; they secretly yearn for superiority and revenge."

jeff37923

OK, so you are making a clone of WotC's d20 Star Wars. So, more D&D in Spaaaaacccee.....

You needed more cats in this video.
"Meh."