SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Chaosium's BRP Central, its echo chambers and how the company view me as a customer.

Started by GIMME SOME SUGAR, September 28, 2019, 03:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GIMME SOME SUGAR

So, I got suspended a month total in all at BRP central. In a message by Jeff, the not-so-creative director, I get this:
"You just can't stop yourself, can you? This isn't a matter of political correctness but of politeness and respect to your fellow posters. You want a confrontation about something other than what kind of site you want BRP to be - but every one of your posts are disagreeable attempts at trolling. Take a week off and either think about "being excellent to each other" or find yourself a different forum that doesn't expect grownup behaviour from its members."

All this started when I asked him to define what he meant by "being excellent" in the thread "What kind of Site do we want for BRP Central?". He replied with two clips from a movie I'm not a fan of, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey. Then some Qizilbashwoman replied with this:

"if that was too complicated:

• leave a place better than you found it
  • hisbah: you enjoin what is right and forbid what is reprehensible (LOTS OF ARABIC, etc)
  • "Humans are responsible for the world even if/though the gods are not." - the Velortinian Principle"
"

So I replied: "No, it wasn't complicated, just a pretty crappy movie to quote. Islam and Sharia isn't my thing either."

Then things escalated I guess. I also wrote a very angry post (like this one) when this Jeff character mentioned Islam and be excellent to each other in the same breath. That guy knows nothing of the world. And I was called a bigot. I'm atheist. Usually I don't care much about religion and their practices, but I do really loathe islam. It's not a religion, it's a political doctrine. But that doesn't fly on Chaosium's forum where I'm just another stupid paypig.

I'm still angry about it all and I think I'm starting to hate this Jeff character. That I'm rude, snarky or whatever shouldn't affect a company's goodwill. He represents Chaosium, a big fish in the rpg pond, and should treat every customer with courtesy, just like the cashier at McDonalds should.

For Jeff:
[video=youtube_share;R7moRLLGU4Q]https://youtu.be/R7moRLLGU4Q[/youtube]

[video=youtube_share;t484dYZrq1U]https://youtu.be/t484dYZrq1U?t=2140[/youtube]

For that Qizilbashwoman and the shitstain on humanity that is islam:

[video=youtube_share;jSVqclCr4fI]https://youtu.be/jSVqclCr4fI[/youtube]

[video=youtube_share;2Y9MTIX0rVA]https://youtu.be/2Y9MTIX0rVA?t=1944[/youtube]

GIMME SOME SUGAR

Ok, and now it has spread to Yog-sothoth as well. I vented in an off-topic post, that was removed. No biggie. I got this message from PoC:

"Hi There,

I've removed your topic as the issue remains between you and Chaosium and is something to be taken up with them. I'm sorry to hear that they've suspended you, they must beleive they have their reasons.

Regards."

Ok, no problems. Now, all of a sudden I get this, about 15 min ago:

"We've now had a little more time to fully consider the depth and effects of your recent post about Chaosium, your comments about their "Islam Hugging", their "swollen heads" and general name-calling. We are sorry that you've ended up feeling this way about the publishers of Call of Cthulhu however the actual content of your topic goes beyond the pale, turning in to a screed which goes beyond the acceptable posting standards on this web site.

As does the direct posting of "Fuck You" video.

Unfortunately this is not the first time your posts have been the subject of moderator action here and with your prior refusal to read other posts to gauge the general standard of posting behaviour, your apparent lack of progress in civil responses (as evidenced by your latest post) and your statement that:

I'm far from the nicest guy in the world..

Indicates that sadly it looks like you'll continue to be at odds with the behavioural standards of community here.

As such we're offering a choice. You may either:

Enter "Lurker Mode" on YSDC (read but no longer post).
Leave the site and find somewhere better suited to your temperament.

Please let me know your decision in the next 24 hours. If no answer is received we'll take that to mean 2. and we'll close your account.

We're sad it's come to this. We've no problem with people discussing issues about Chaosium but the content and tone of your screed was the last straw.

Regards."

How quickly the tides turns. I smell a cross-forum conspiracy. Either way I'm done being Chaosium's paypig. They won't get a single dime from me anymore.

Spinachcat

Excellent song choices! The Black Lagoon clip was hilarious! And of course, Bobby Blitz is da best! Overkill 4ever!

As for BRP Central and Yog-Sog, what did you expect? They don't have a free speech policy. It's all "behave or be banned" and you know you shat on their sofa with those posts. Not that I disagree with you, but you dumped a load on their very favorite sofa.

It's worth taking the offer to go into Lurker Mode on Yog-Sog.

As for CoC, I'm gonna say it again. Nobody owns HPL's work and D100 isn't owned by Chaosium. There is ZERO legal hurdle for anyone creating a D100 Cthulhu RPG. The hurdles are the creative work to interpret HPL's original work and present the system and setting without any CoC copypasta. And then the hurdle of selling the game.

Also "Be Excellent to Each Other" is from the first and glorious Bill & Ted movie. Bogus Journey, the second film, did suck.

As for not supporting Chaosium, I will say it again. Every dollar you spend is a vote. If you want more Chaosium wokeness, then give Chaosium more money. Otherwise...vote with your dollars elsewhere.

My suggestion is SILENT LEGIONS by Kevin Crawford.

GIMME SOME SUGAR

I will check out Silent legions. I chose the second option to leave. PoC already removed my ability to reply in threads, so that choice wasn't on the table really. So I chose to leave. The best thing about that site is their wiki anyway, and I can still access that.

S'mon

I guess Chaosium needs to be extra-pro-Islam considering how anti-Islam HPL was? Although HPL was anti pretty much everything!

trechriron

Trentin C Bergeron (trechriron)
Bard, Creative & RPG Enthusiast

----------------------------------------------------------------------
D.O.N.G. Black-Belt (Thanks tenbones!)

Simlasa

I'm not such a fan of nu-Chaosium either but I think you did shit your pants a bit and presented yourself as hostile rather than merely critical. I try to stay out of the topics there that I know will set me off, like the Call of Cthulhu threads... and anything posted by MOB. There's just no point to arguing with those guys on their home turf. It's obvious they don't want much friction in their forums.
Also, griefing on a particular (any) religion will get you in hot water most places.
I don't think they were particularly unfair to you.

HappyDaze

Quote from: GIMME SOME SUGAR;1106336That I'm rude, snarky or whatever shouldn't affect a company's goodwill.

Do you sincerely believe this? If so, you are completely wrong. A company can choose to ignore the bad behavior of a difficult customer, but they are not required to do so. They really do have the right to refuse service to anyone so long as they are not being discriminatory--and refusal of service for inappropriate behavior is in no way discriminatory because you could always have chosen to to behave differently (not to mention that asshole is not a protected class in any nation that I know of). I have nothing against you personally, but you asked them to take notice of you and they did. What else did you expect?

GIMME SOME SUGAR

Quote from: Simlasa;1106359I'm not such a fan of nu-Chaosium either but I think you did shit your pants a bit and presented yourself as hostile rather than merely critical. I try to stay out of the topics there that I know will set me off, like the Call of Cthulhu threads... and anything posted by MOB. There's just no point to arguing with those guys on their home turf. It's obvious they don't want much friction in their forums.
Also, griefing on a particular (any) religion will get you in hot water most places.
I don't think they were particularly unfair to you.

I always shit my pants around sensitive people. But I'm just suspended for a month on BRP central, but now banned forever on yog-sothoth, lol. A completely different and independent forum. Something made that PoC guy change his mind in 8 hours. Maybe he rode some Chaosium dick during that time and got convinced to change his tone. It does not compute in any other way and it really makes my tinfoil hat hum from alien mindprobe rays. And Islam is still a violent death cult, regardless what ex-Seattle Jeff or that Shia woman say.

GIMME SOME SUGAR

Quote from: HappyDaze;1106361Do you sincerely believe this? If so, you are completely wrong. A company can choose to ignore the bad behavior of a difficult customer, but they are not required to do so. They really do have the right to refuse service to anyone so long as they are not being discriminatory--and refusal of service for inappropriate behavior is in no way discriminatory because you could always have chosen to to behave differently (not to mention that asshole is not a protected class in any nation that I know of). I have nothing against you personally, but you asked them to take notice of you and they did. What else did you expect?

1) Visit Youtube
2) Do a search for prank calls
3) Select prank calls to serious, big business. I can recommend the Ned calls.
4) Listen to how they handle people who are upset, use dirty words, seem angry, etc.
5) Learn from it

Being an asshole is just as natural as being a fanboy. But I did give them constructive critique too. But those threads got locked, as far as I can recall. On the 19th of August I won a little prize because I had the most liked content of them all and I got my first week ban just a day after that or a couple of days later. Maybe I riled up the paypigs abit too much and found out that other's shared similar views regarding cover art/layout, etc, something MOB disliked?

GIMME SOME SUGAR

Quote from: trechriron;1106356You catch more bees with honey, honey.

I guess my honey always come laden with a dose of strychnine.:D

GIMME SOME SUGAR

Quote from: Spinachcat;1106343Excellent song choices! The Black Lagoon clip was hilarious! And of course, Bobby Blitz is da best! Overkill 4ever!

Yeah, Blitz rules. Overkill is such an underrated band it's criminal.

AmazingOnionMan

Quote from: Spinachcat;1106343Overkill 4ever!

Good man!

Quote from: Spinachcat;1106343It's all "behave or be banned"

It used to be. Now the only reason I still got an active account there is probably because Chaosium hadn't yet figured out how to use the admin-tools when I managed to offend them.
Oh well..

Abraxus

It sucks except their forum their rules.

GOS you also have a very very confrontational posting style. Refuse to stop when asked and then quintuple down and make things worse. Just a few months ago you acted like a total child because in one thread here simply because posters like myself called you out on your poor behavior and refusal to provide an echo chamber. So your not a victim and don't try to paint yourself as one imo.

Here is an unwritten rule being a paying customer in no way shape or form entitles one to be rude to any company nor is any company going to put up with it. The first your allowed to do so by the constitution not entitled to do so. The second allows a company to do the same.

Nu-Chaosium has not impressed me with what they include as questionable sojus material in their products. Not that huge a fan of the system either. Just like you have a write to voice your displeasure on their forums they like it or not can ban your from theirs. I have a corner store near my house that has been open for years and the owners have known me since I was a child and even came to my dad funeral when he passed. If I tried to act rudely and hide behind free speech they would tell me to get the fuck out and never come back.

RandyB

Quote from: Spinachcat;1106343Also "Be Excellent to Each Other" is from the first and glorious Bill & Ted movie. Bogus Journey, the second film, did suck.

Movie tangent.

Bogus Journey did suck, agreed. I still give them credit for trying to do Dante's Divine Comedy. Nobody else that I know of has been willing to try that, before or since.

Back OT - the only thing from Chaosium I have any interest in is Pendragon, and the recent spin-off*, Paladin. I'm also interested in the proposed Greek Bronze Age spin-off, as well.

*for lack of a better term