This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Author Topic: News Flash: RPGs are Different From BDSM  (Read 18932 times)

RPGPundit

• Administrator - The Final Boss of Internet Shitlords
  • Administrator
    • http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com
News Flash: RPGs are Different From BDSM
« on: September 20, 2019, 02:15:36 AM »
Check it out: Sean K. Reynolds has responded to some of the criticism of Monte Cook Games' 20-page manifesto on "Consent in RPGs". Here's my response to his comments, and how this debate reflects the core larger debate of the Culture War.

LION & DRAGON: Medieval-Authentic OSR Roleplaying is available now! You only THINK you've played 'medieval fantasy' until you play L&D.

My Blog:  http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com/
The most famous uruguayan gaming blog on the planet!

NEW!
Check out my short OSR supplements series; The RPGPundit Presents!

Dark Albion: The Rose War! The OSR fantasy setting of the history that inspired Shakespeare and Martin alike.
Also available in Variant Cover form!
Also, now with the CULTS OF CHAOS cult-generation sourcebook

ARROWS OF INDRA
Arrows of Indra: The Old-School Epic Indian RPG!
NOW AVAILABLE: AoI in print form

LORDS OF OLYMPUS
The new Diceless RPG of multiversal power, adventure and intrigue, now available.

S'mon

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 05:53:09 AM »
Well I don't disagree, even if my own comments to SKR were a lot more even-toned!]

BTW it's 13 pages not 20. Had to download it again just to check!

Personally I suspect this is all a cunning plan by Monte to build up his customer database...

hedgehobbit

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 07:26:59 AM »
I'm wondering if all the people saying "it's optional, you don't need to use it" are going to pretend to be surprised when GenCon requires every GM running a game to use something like this.

Melan

• Creeped out by the \'Net
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 07:36:32 AM »
It's optional to go to GenCon, shitlord. If you don't like it, build your own game convention.
Now with a Zine!
ⓘ This post is disputed by official sources

Alexander Kalinowski

• Dark God
    • http://www.knightsoftheblacklily.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 03:12:02 PM »
Three things.

First, you're echoing a lot here what I said about the x-card - so I have to agree. I'd like frame it a little differently though: normally the GM is responsible for running the game and keeping things on track. That means he is also responsible for balancing out any conflicting interests of participants (arachnophobia versus drow campaign). What I am seeing in the x-card (and probably also the consent form) is an attempt to err on the side of caution by giving each participant a veto right. While well-intentioned it opens up a potential new aventue for abuse. And that, in short, is why I reject this new model  and remain in favor of the GM being the final arbiter of things. And walking out if you're not liking how things are being handled by him has always been an option, I don't think anyone needs to be reminded of that. (But if the underlying intention is to give insecure people enough confidence to actually take that step of walking out, I'm fine with that message.)

So, in short, the effort to remove any insecurity over the GM being in charge of the game falls short. Instead, interests need to be balanced on a case-by-case basis. X-cards and consent forms don't do the necessary individual balancing act and therefore are failed attempts at improving the game.

Secondly, writers, filmmakers, comic book authors don't put up a lot of information what to expect from their creative works in advance either. You quickly get a sense what to expect in Game of Thrones but not much advance warning. In RPGs, it should be enough to give a quick campaign outline and maybe something like "18+ content". You have no right for more information from me just because I don't have the same clout as HBO.

Thirdly, I think you may have it a bit backwards about destroying western norms, Pundy. This isn't the goal; it's means to an end. Remember what I said about the left's Robin Hood syndrome? Muslims are the "intended" victims (as in: intended for the victim role), the poor downtrodden widows and orphans, while western conservatives are intended for the role of the Sheriff of Nottingham. That's why whatever wrong muslims do gets rationalized whereas the same thing coming from a western conservative is an act of pure evil. Indeed proof that conservatives are evil by nature.

The end goal is to feel both intellectually and ethically superior your conservative neighbor (or rather those stinking smalltown USA peasants). Destroying western civilization is just means to an end, the end being feeling a hero for saving innocent people from oppression by the evil conservatives. Or the dying planet from evil businessmen,
It's my working hypothesis that they take it to such extremes because most of them see no realistic pathway to a sense of superiority within the system.
Author of the Knights of the Black Lily RPG, a game of sexy black fantasy.
Setting: Ilethra, a fantasy continent ruled over by exclusively spiteful and bored gods who play with mortals for their sport.
System: Faithful fantasy genre simulation. Bell-curved d100 as a core mechanic. Action economy based on interruptability. Cinematic attack sequences in melee. Fortune Points tied to scenario endgame stakes. Challenge-driven Game Design.
The dark gods await.

GeekyBugle

• Now even more Toxic
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 03:32:50 PM »
"All of us are weird in one way or another" Especially true among those of us who genuinely partake in geek culture in one venue or the other. :D
Quote from: Rhedyn

Here is why this forum tends to be so stupid. Many people here think Joe Biden is "The Left", when he is actually Far Right and every US republican is just an idiot.

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell

Razor 007

• Razor 007
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 03:50:47 PM »
Quote from: Melan;1105072
It's optional to go to GenCon, shitlord. If you don't like it, build your own game convention.

Yes, GenCon and GaryCon are both completely optional.  Not mandatory in the slightest.  In light of the current freak culture, I have zero interest in attending.
I need you to roll a perception check.....

GeekyBugle

• Now even more Toxic
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 03:55:54 PM »

You jest but this will be soon a necessity. To build non partisan non political conventions and to make them anti-fragile to a take over by the fun police (from either side of the political spectrum)

Here is why this forum tends to be so stupid. Many people here think Joe Biden is "The Left", when he is actually Far Right and every US republican is just an idiot.

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.”

― George Orwell

GeekEclectic

• Unapologetically Un/Traditional
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 06:01:28 AM »
Quote from: GeekyBugle;1105178
You jest but this will be soon a necessity. To build non partisan non political conventions and to make them anti-fragile to a take over by the fun police (from either side of the political spectrum)
If I ever start a convention, I can imagine the press conference.

"What are you doing to ensure that con goers are both physically and emotionally safe?"
"Open carry is both allowed and encouraged. You can see the safety, or you can be the safety. Preferably both. Next?"
"I despise weak men in positions of power, and that's 95% of game industry leadership." - Jessica Price
"Isnt that why RPGs companies are so woke in the first place?" - Godsmonkey
*insert Disaster Girl meme here* - Me

GeekyBugle

• Now even more Toxic
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 01:51:28 PM »
Quote from: GeekEclectic;1105286
If I ever start a convention, I can imagine the press conference.

"What are you doing to ensure that con goers are both physically and emotionally safe?"
"Open carry is both allowed and encouraged. You can see the safety, or you can be the safety. Preferably both. Next?"

And their heads would explode.

― George Orwell

RPGPundit

• Administrator - The Final Boss of Internet Shitlords
  • Administrator
    • http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 10:11:23 PM »

You mean like Garycon, which was then also taken over by SJWs and purged of their ideological enemies?
LION & DRAGON: Medieval-Authentic OSR Roleplaying is available now! You only THINK you've played 'medieval fantasy' until you play L&D.

My Blog:  http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com/
The most famous uruguayan gaming blog on the planet!

NEW!
Check out my short OSR supplements series; The RPGPundit Presents!

Dark Albion: The Rose War! The OSR fantasy setting of the history that inspired Shakespeare and Martin alike.
Also available in Variant Cover form!
Also, now with the CULTS OF CHAOS cult-generation sourcebook

ARROWS OF INDRA
Arrows of Indra: The Old-School Epic Indian RPG!
NOW AVAILABLE: AoI in print form

LORDS OF OLYMPUS
The new Diceless RPG of multiversal power, adventure and intrigue, now available.

Opaopajr

• Señor Wences
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 10:30:51 PM »
RPGs are neither sane nor consentual, (but what truly is sane?). :mad: Hardcore old skool! They are pretty safe, tho, as Let's Pretend generally is. :o (Unless one is not sane... :eek: oh no, I think I found the paradox! /winks out into The Safe Space!)
Just make your fuckin' guy and roll the dice, you pricks. Focus on what's interesting, not what gives you the biggest randomly generated virtual penis.  -- J Arcane

You know, people keep comparing non-TSR D&D to deck-building in Magic: the Gathering. But maybe it's more like Katamari Damacy. You keep sticking shit on your characters until they are big enough to be a star.
-- talysman

Snowman0147

• Now Even More Frosty
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 12:44:15 AM »
You know every day I am agreeing with Raging Golden Eagle.  These SJWs just want to destroy everything and once they do we need to keep them out of the newly resurrected hobbies.

Crimhthan

• Crimhthan The Great
  • C
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 12:48:10 AM »
Hey Pundit, I had not listened to any of your podcast before, (I don't normally listen to any podcasts by anyone, they are too time consuming.) but if you turned all of your podcasts into blog posts, then I would be inclined to read them all.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Your points about the abnormal vs the normal are very apt. Mentally ill people need to get help, not come insist that they rest of us enable their mental illness.

Everyone typically gives short shrift to mental health and that short shrift has led directly to our PC left wing world where more and more the mentally ill are in charge and making the rules. I don't remember who said it, but paraphrasing, it was something along the lines of "Never allow anyone who wants to be in a position of authority/power to be given any authority/power, because the mere fact that someone wants authority/power is proof that it is not safe for them to be given authority/power."
Always remember, as a first principle of all D&D: playing BtB is not now, never was and never will be old school.

Rules lawyers have missed the heart and soul of old school D&D.

Munchkins are not there to have fun, munchkins are there to make sure no one else does.

Nothing is more dishonorable, than being a min-maxer munchkin rules lawyer.

OD&D game #4000 was played on September 2, 2017.

These are my original creation

Spinachcat

• Toxic SocioCat
  • S
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2019, 04:25:11 AM »
I posted this in the other Monte Cuck threads, but it bears repeating.

If you want more "Consent in Gaming" products and SJW bullshit in the hobby, please keep giving your money to Monte Cook and WotC.

Otherwise, vote with your dollars for RPG creators who don't shovel this shit into our hobby.

Quote from: Crimhthan;1105388
Hey Pundit, I had not listened to any of your podcast before, (I don't normally listen to any podcasts by anyone, they are too time consuming.) but if you turned all of your podcasts into blog posts, then I would be inclined to read them all.

Agreed.  I wonder if there is a voice-to-text editor that's good enough to translate podcasts in a meaningful manner that doesn't turn them into Bad Lip Reading videos.