SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Why in God's name does DCC require oddball dice, when i already own hundreds of dice?

Started by Razor 007, July 18, 2019, 08:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razor 007

I have hesitated to purchase, what otherwise appears to be an awesome game; because of those oddball dice.

***Edit: OK, I Bought The Book.***
I need you to roll a perception check.....

Rhedyn

The DCC RPG explains that it attempts to make D&D feel "new again" which meant to them adding back mystery and certain struggles. One of struggles being to find the dice you needed to play the game, hence the funny shaped dice.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.crawlers&hl=en_US

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/the-crawlers-companion/id597725801

The free app makes life a little easier for tables with a limited number of books and dice.

Ratman_tf

QuoteWhen Joseph Goodman was asked about the inclusion of these funky dice in DCC by Suvudo he replied that he simply liked funky dice. In the interview he goes on to say that part of the nostalgia surrounding old-school gaming is related to the unusual dice of the time. Back when the d20 and d4 were unusual to the old-school gamer. As time has come on those types of dice have become "normal". DCC RPG attempts to bring some of the nostalgia back by using these funky dice that are even new to a lot of us long timer gamers.

http://irontavern.com/2012/07/02/dcc-funky-dice/

I really liked the funky dice. It was  good excuse to get a couple of sets. And nowadays, a set of funky dice is just a few clicks away.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=zocchi+dice&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
The notion of an exclusionary and hostile RPG community is a fever dream of zealots who view all social dynamics through a narrow keyhole of structural oppression.
-Haffrung

MonsterSlayer

Quote from: Razor 007;1096295I have hesitated to purchase, what otherwise appears to be an awesome game; because of those oddball dice.

If you already own hundreds, what is a few more? You already admit you are not above buying absurd numbers of dice. I don't get the objection. Have twp sets and we have been playing almost all 5E. My favorite is the R-P-S die.

rocksfalleverybodydies

Yea, the dice were a pain in the butt to acquire (especially if you don't live in the US for shipping) but I got some as they are pretty much required.  Substituting regular with multiple rolls causes weird bell curve effects.

Ironically I feel if they had just gone with a more unique dice set like Genesys or some other systems, the backlash would have been less as people like collecting funky dice.  Rather, owning almost all the dice required but needing the few extra seems to stick in people's craw a lot.

In group play, I ended up using the Purple Sorcerer app more than the dice themselves as having it calculate all the specific table results makes it possible to get the extra juice from the specific results without bogging down the game pace:  It really is the saving grace that makes DCC run as well as it can in a physical group environment.  

One could almost argue that rolling the dice is just an odds mechanic and it really doesn't matter how the results are obtained, despite the mystique and magic people put on physically rolling the plastic bits.  Would be interesting to see a poll on how many find that physical dice interaction an essential part of the role-playing experience these days.

I saw they just recently made an official rule system on Fantasy Grounds so one could almost use that on a laptop behind the screen for all their rule checks and forego buying the hardcover.  Being as I might try some remote play with friends I'm glad Goodman Games finally relented and provided this option as I felt they were never going to get on-board with VTT play which is becoming more popular every year.

Razor 007

Quote from: MonsterSlayer;1096299If you already own hundreds, what is a few more? You already admit you are not above buying absurd numbers of dice. I don't get the objection. Have twp sets and we have been playing almost all 5E. My favorite is the R-P-S die.

The strange dice fad happened over 40 years ago.  That's not a part of the game I want to recreate.  He chose to do that on purpose.

***Edit: OK, I Bought The Book.***

trechriron

Trentin C Bergeron (trechriron)
Bard, Creative & RPG Enthusiast

----------------------------------------------------------------------
D.O.N.G. Black-Belt (Thanks tenbones!)

Razor 007

I have been on the fence about buying his cool game at least 3 or 4 times now; and every time I hesitate because, "aw shit, that's the game that uses those oddball dice.....".

***Edit:. OK, I Bought The Book.***

Pat

Because someone needed to use all those dice shaped like snowflakes.

Mankcam

It's worth buying DCC for the flavour and spectacle alone. The artwork is a crazy mix of old rpg fanzine style art and the kind of adolescent artwork I scrawled all over my books in the '80s. Plus it's a big tome and just a guilty pleasure to read.
If you never play it, it's still a great read and likely to inspire that vibe in whatever system you are playing, whether OSR or otherwise. I kinda imbued that dark gonzo vibe into a BRP MagicWorld game after reading thru DCC, and I think the game was much better for it.

I am looking forward to running a few DCC cheesy hack & slay games sometime. I really want to start the players with a bunch of 0-Level toons and put them through a funnel game to see which ones survive to become their Level 1 PCs. Such a different concept from many contemporary non-OSR games these days, I am just itching to go back to a few games like that.

If you ever do play DCC, then you can always use a mobile device dice roller app to cover the rolls for the dice you don't have. If you play it a few times you'll either shelve the book again as an rpg oddity, or you'll be likely to splash out on some funky dice.

In any case, DCC is such a fun rulebook to have in any rpg collection :cool:

Steven Mitchell

I finally got DCC last month--after waiting several years in part because of the funky dice.  Though in fairness, the main reason I was waiting was that I didn't think I'd get a chance to play it, whereas now I might.  

One of the things that decided me is that lately I've been running a lot more games, for a more varied set of groups.  My style is to sometimes randomly determine who will be targeted by some attack, effect, etc. So having a d5, d7, etc. is not necessarily a bad thing.  Though the funny part is that since I got DCC, all my gaming groups have had an even number of players show up for each session. Also, I've been picking on people when they roll a string of bad rolls.  "You want a d24 instead?  How about a d30?  With your luck, you'll probably still roll a 1."  That gets me a nasty look. :)

Outside of my GM eccentricities, I'm very happy to have bought the game.  It's not old school D&D.  Rather, it's a slice of old school D&D turned up to 11.  In that sense, having even more weird dice is strangely compelling.  The only thing wrong with it is that  in a game turned up to 11, they didn't include a d11.

Simlasa

I don't get all the gripes about buying a handful of extra dice... easily obtainable these days and useful for other purposes outside of DCC. It seems like it should be a non-issue when most gamers I know have gone out of their way to collect an assload of dice, some that they've paid good bit of money for in metal, or with themed decoration.

As it is, in all the games I've played of DCC the 'funky' dice don't really come into play all that often... usually it's when some roll shifts up or down the dice chain, or when some bizarro spell hits.

Shawn Driscoll

Quote from: Razor 007;1096295I have hesitated to purchase, what otherwise appears to be an awesome game; because of those oddball dice.

Game didn't pass muster for me either because dice. Back when I was looking for ultimate D&D system.

Arkansan

Quote from: Simlasa;1096309I don't get all the gripes about buying a handful of extra dice... easily obtainable these days and useful for other purposes outside of DCC. It seems like it should be a non-issue when most gamers I know have gone out of their way to collect an assload of dice, some that they've paid good bit of money for in metal, or with themed decoration.

As it is, in all the games I've played of DCC the 'funky' dice don't really come into play all that often... usually it's when some roll shifts up or down the dice chain, or when some bizarro spell hits.

I kind of get the complaint. I've only ever seen those dice carried in a local FLGS once, and it was at an exorbitant mark up. I had to order mine online, where I found them pretty cheap.

I love that game just for the art alone. The system actually looks a bit clunky to me, though in all fairness I haven't played or ran it yet.

sniderman

Betcha people were bitching about D&D's "funky dice" when it first game out too. Without the introduction of funky dice, we'd be stuck playing d6 systems solely. Besides, aside from DCC, other RPGs use special dice. Fate/Fudge and the new Star Wars one off the top of my head.
MY BLOGS:

The Savage AfterWorld - Rules, adventures, supplements, and discussion for many RPGs, focusing on the Old School Renaissance, Goblinoid Games, and the classic Pacesetter system!