SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

New "Riot Minds" KS - English ver of old Swedish RPG "Drakar och Demoner"

Started by HMWHC, March 20, 2019, 04:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HMWHC

I'm a big fan of the English Language stuff Riot Minds (a Swedish RPG company) has been putting out recently (Trudvang Chronicles, Viking Fantasy & Lex Occultum, Early Age of Reason Occult Fantasy) and they are just starting a new kickstarter for an English language version of an updated "Drakar och Demoner" RPG.

"Drakar och Demoner" is the original Home Grown Swedish RPG if I am correct, it's based'ish on the old RuneQuest rpg engine. Anyways the art in these books is top notch and definitely not dungeon/clockwork punk but sensible realistic-fantasy imo.

Anywho I wanted to give them a boost and plug for their new KS. It looks like it has a nice oldschool vibe.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1256540796/ruin-masters

P.S. I'm not associated in any way with Riot Minds, I just really like their products.
"YOU KNOW WHO ELSE CLOSED THREADS THAT "BORED" HIM?!? HITLER!!!"
~ -E.

Spinachcat

Anyone play the original game?

Worth getting?

To me, it looks like yet another very pretty coffee table book masquerading as a game.

mhensley

I'm in.  I'm a sucker for beer and pretzel rpg's, especially one that has art this pretty.

nDervish

Quote from: Spinachcat;1080057Anyone play the original game?

I've partially read Drakar och Demoner (it's a good way to practice my Swedish comprehension), but not played it.  It's a RuneQuest/BRP-based system (I've heard that the original edition was basically just RQ2 with the serial numbers filed off) which has basically the same central position in Swedish RPG history that DSA holds in Germany.  So actual DoD seems like a very solid, well-vetted system.

From what I've seen of the kickstarter and the backer updates thus far (yeah, I backed it), my impression of Ruin Masters is that it's a much lighter RPG (only six skills?!? in a skill-based system???) and includes rules for both traditional RPG play and "hex mode", which sounds like something similar to the various RPG-themed boardgames that have come out over the years.   mhensley's description of it as a beer 'n' pretzels RPG seems pretty apt, and I'd imagine "hex mode" would be good for quick pickup games, drawing in board gamers, etc.