SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

So who else is looking forward to the next edition of Savage Worlds?

Started by Rhedyn, October 16, 2018, 02:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhedyn

The Kickstarter is up

I am a big fan of this game and I really like how new editions are incremental and how the company releases free pdf conversion doc for older editions so you do not have to get the newer books.

Personally, I am just excited to get the book in a newer format.

Willie the Duck

Since I didn't know about it, I wasn't looking forward. I will take a look, however. I think the last version was perfectly suitable. What about the new version excites you (other than the format, as you mention)?

tenbones

Rhedyn

Quote from: Willie the Duck;1060487Since I didn't know about it, I wasn't looking forward. I will take a look, however. I think the last version was perfectly suitable. What about the new version excites you (other than the format, as you mention)?

The standout feature for me is the new Support and Test system that really open up a lot of creative shenanigans in a way that is mechanically easy to grok (most of this stuff was doable before but a tad clunkier and a tad less effective to the point that just attacking again is what many people did). Much of the other changes seems to stem from that and that change seemed to be inspired from the changes to the shaken rules mid-last edition (Spirit roll = not shaken vs Spirit roll = not shaken but no action, you need a raise to have actions that turn).

So part of that change is some new unified conditions that powers also lean on. Vulnerable (allies get +2 to actions against them), Distracted (foe has a -2 on trait rolls), and Stunned (super duper shaken). This adds some bite back into these conditions and the "Tricks and Test" rules as a whole, which became less useful with the shaken nerf.

New chase rules are always appreciated. This was one of the weaker rules of the game, so much so that I do not run these without house-rules. I can't fault the game too much for them though since very few other games even make an attempt at the concept in a way that is generalizable.

I heard rumors that the Mass Battle rules are getting updates.

Oh and some people might be interesting in the Quick Encounter rules (for both combats and other challenges) and an abstracted wealth system (for those players/GMs that just can't stand counting gold coins).

Still, I am most excited for pretty art and having a hardback core rulebook. Everything else is just gravy for me.

MaybeJustNeverMind

Deadlands is my ultimate White Whale game.

I own a shameful number of books across the Classic, D20, and Reloaded lines and have never played once.  Not even once.  The one game I was supposed to run fell apart, too.  

So I'm $25 "PDF Kit" excited, especially as my best chances of playing will be online anyway.  The next edition of Deadlands will use the new Savage Worlds rules.  I will be ready to read and never play the next edition, too.

nDervish

Quote from: Rhedyn;1060496New chase rules are always appreciated.

Ars Magica was once known in certain circles for scrapping the combat system in every new edition and creating a new one.  Are the Savage Worlds Chase rules following in those footsteps?

And, yeah, I was never a fan of the SWD Chase rules.  Too little persistent state.  They were great for dogfights, but not so much for races to a point or attempting to escape the opposition, where things like how close you are to the destination or how far from your pursuer are kind of important.  I much preferred the previous version's Chase rules.

Rhedyn

Quote from: nDervish;1060585Ars Magica was once known in certain circles for scrapping the combat system in every new edition and creating a new one.  Are the Savage Worlds Chase rules following in those footsteps?
Haha Yes. It's a running joke now that they have to completely change the chase rules with each edition.

Which I think it's good that they aren't satisfied with their weakest subsystem.

carpocratian

I'm not very motivated to get it.  The existing version works well enough, and is cheap enough for most players to buy.  I don't think any of the things they are changing are so in need of change that I'm willing to shell out the money.

Rhedyn

Quote from: carpocratian;1060597I'm not very motivated to get it.  The existing version works well enough, and is cheap enough for most players to buy.  I don't think any of the things they are changing are so in need of change that I'm willing to shell out the money.
Well you will get a free conversion guide anyways.

One of the kickstarter rewards is an Evernight pdf, which was made for the 1st edition of Savage Worlds and it will still work with the current 4th/5th(depending on how you counting) edition being released now.

I think this is mainly to show how the essentials of the game have not changed all that much.

Willie the Duck

Quote from: tenbones;1060490I'm $150 looking forward to it.

Can I ask what made you decide on that level?

I ask because, while not a 1%-er, I'm an established DINK-household with two well compensated executives with no expensive hobbies. Given how few RPGs I buy in a year and Kickstarters I support, and could probably drop $150 on each, but I'm not going to because that means I'm not differentiating between the low and high ends (in terms of giving me things I want, or being companies I want to foster, etc.). Is there anything about the company or the bennies of the $150 level that make it worth that to you?

tenbones

Quote from: Willie the Duck;1060637Can I ask what made you decide on that level?

I ask because, while not a 1%-er, I'm an established DINK-household with two well compensated executives with no expensive hobbies. Given how few RPGs I buy in a year and Kickstarters I support, and could probably drop $150 on each, but I'm not going to because that means I'm not differentiating between the low and high ends (in terms of giving me things I want, or being companies I want to foster, etc.). Is there anything about the company or the bennies of the $150 level that make it worth that to you?

1) Money isn't really the issue for me.

2) I'm a big believer in supporting things I like and utilize. I've been in the RPG-sphere longer than any endeavor I currently pursue. So make something good for me. I will pony up the funds. Savage Worlds is a known quantity for me. I know exactly what I'm getting. It's not really a crap-shoot. Savage Worlds has been very good to me and my group. $150 good? Easily

3) I'm a GM. So I plan on running SW long-term as one of my core systems. Since that is the case running SW will likely eat up most of a given year with long-term campaigning. so $150 for literally years worth of entertainment is a relative pittance. Any other gaming expenditures will either support SW, or be my one-offs (FFG's Star Wars, Talsorians's Witcher off the top of my head). Or simply be some impulse buy which wouldn't go over $50. The $150 mark is pretty much everything I want plus goodies. It's an easy buy.

I'm likely going to drop more on the settings that support it (IZ3, Deadlands, Rifts, and their core setting splats). Anything else is just gravy.

Brand55

Quote from: BedrockBrendan;1060604I am a player in SWs games and will pick this one up when it is released (any word on changes that will be appearing in this edition?).
Like you, I'll be looking to pick up a book and probably GM screen down the line. The Kickstarter is just too pricey, especially with PEG's shipping costs, and I'm not a fan of what I've read about the changes to the social system. Hopefully the final product will be better than what's been teased.

There's a list of some things that are being changed but not details on how those changes will be implemented on the Kickstarter page. Some of the highlights include new Chase rules, the addition of new conditions beyond Shaken, new multi-action rules, an expansion on how characters can help each other with tasks, and combining tricks and tests of will.

Rhedyn

Quote from: Brand55;1060652I'm not a fan of what I've read about the changes to the social system.
Is this about how they are dropping charisma as a stat?

I personally like the idea of how the Support system and quick encounters will allow for more mechanics in social situations, which I have a lot of players that are hesitant to interject in conversations without some sort of mechanical reason. When the normal party face is trying to get everyone else to talk to support his roll, that leads to more engagement.

I tend to just wing social interactions, but man my players love to roll dice.

Brand55

Quote from: Rhedyn;1060653Is this about how they are dropping charisma as a stat?

I personally like the idea of how the Support system and quick encounters will allow for more mechanics in social situations, which I have a lot of players that are hesitant to interject in conversations without some sort of mechanical reason. When the normal party face is trying to get everyone else to talk to support his roll, that leads to more engagement.

I tend to just wing social interactions, but man my players love to roll dice.
Dropping Charisma is fine, but then they've gone and heavily nerfed at least some of the formerly Charisma-boosting Edges. At last report, taking both Attractive and Very Attractive would only give you a measly +2 to Persuasion rolls. That's pathetic. It's much weaker than the old version, especially when you consider that it does nothing for you if someone doesn't find you attractive. Charismatic is far, far better, and so we're getting into D&D Feat territory where some Edges are just outright much better than others. That's not good.