This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Author Topic: Dwarven Forge Dungeon, first 3 rooms.  (Read 2036 times)

Doom

• Fact and Truth Ideologue
Dwarven Forge Dungeon, first 3 rooms.
« on: June 24, 2018, 10:20:26 PM »
I didn't go whole hog on the DF kickstarter, but I did build a dungeon out of the first three rooms:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2567[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2568[/ATTACH]

The 'new stuff" is the entrance chamber (yellow lights), turning hallway and small room (green light), and big circular chamber with side rooms (red lights).

It was pretty disastrous for the heroes. After dealing with the monster in the entrance chamber, and finding the secret door leading to the hallway, the bold half-goblin triggered a spiritual crossbow trap, firing down the hallway.

Being clever, he runs down the hallway and then ducks to the right, avoiding the radiant crossbow bolts. Alas, this triggers a wall of force and slice-and-dice trap, chopping him severely. He boldly opens the door and rushed into the next room, awaking Giant Elemental which launches vortexes at him.

Meanwhile, the rest of the party is two rooms behind him, trying to figure out how to get past the crossbow and take down the forcewall. The cleric dives into the next room, only to find there's stabby-spikey trap there...

Good times!

(normally I play with much of the dungeon covered, but pics were taken after the dungeon was cleared, with a re-stocking of monsters to give a good idea of what was in the place)
(taken during hurricane winds)

A nice education blog.

thedungeondelver

• Advanced D&D
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 10:35:23 PM »
Gorgeous.

Can't wait to start buying sets!  (I have a rather large gift certificate at DF :) )
THE DELVERS DUNGEON

Mcbobbo sums it up nicely.

Astrophysicists are reassessing Einsteinian relativity because the 28 billion l

antiochcow

• a
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 02:28:56 AM »
Got the first part of our stuff in a few days ago, but since we didn't spring for pre-painted we've got some work to do (still gotta finish painting the Tablescapes Dungeon sets that came in before that, first). Really looking forward to the giant snake-themed room at the end.

Doom

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 11:28:07 AM »
Quote from: antiochcow;1045704
Got the first part of our stuff in a few days ago, but since we didn't spring for pre-painted we've got some work to do (still gotta finish painting the Tablescapes Dungeon sets that came in before that, first). Really looking forward to the giant snake-themed room at the end.

Dayum, you went whole hog? Between the price and physically having some room issues, combined with some of those later rooms being too hard to use in sufficiently multiple scenarios, I just couldn't do it.

But they sure looked cool.

A nice education blog.

Ratman_tf

• Alt-Reich Shitlord
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 11:39:04 AM »
Quote from: Doom;1045745
Dayum, you went whole hog? Between the price and physically having some room issues, combined with some of those later rooms being too hard to use in sufficiently multiple scenarios, I just couldn't do it.

But they sure looked cool.

That's my concern about such elaborate setups. Portability. I'd want to run a dungeon like that one day, just to say I did it, (looks very nice) but for day-to-day gaming, it seem like more effort than I'd want to put in.
The notion of an exclusionary and hostile RPG community is a fever dream of zealots who view all social dynamics through a narrow keyhole of structural oppression.
-Haffrung

estar

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 02:19:51 PM »
I ordered specific pieces as my DF1 kickstarter order covered pretty much everything I normally do with dungeons. So I have a little more time to wait before getting the add-on sets.

thedungeondelver

• Advanced D&D
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 03:55:21 PM »
I will say this : I have enough Dwarven Forge (w/o the new stuff which I'm eagerly looking to get when it releases retail) to build either the moathouse or the moathouse dungeon (not both at the same time, I don't think) from T1, the tournament portion of A1, the entire upper works map of A2, all of The Tomb of Horrors and all of White Plume Mountain.  Layouts like that NEVER cease to attract people.  They see it, and they sit and want to play. :)
THE DELVERS DUNGEON

estar

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 04:07:09 PM »
I built out the central portion of the City state of the Invincible Overlord. The players appreciated the spectacle.

estar

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 04:10:14 PM »
A more traditional dungeon setup. One of my own design I wrote to try out Fantasy Age.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2569[/ATTACH]

thedungeondelver

• Advanced D&D
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 04:22:30 PM »
Both are very nice.  Did you cover the dungeon areas before the players arrived?  I went with black cloths to cover unexplored sections and I find it's the best way to go.  I'll even occasionally put a book or empty box or something next to the dungeon and cover it as well; keeps 'em guessing.
THE DELVERS DUNGEON

estar

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 06:25:39 PM »
Quote from: thedungeondelver;1045800
Both are very nice.  Did you cover the dungeon areas before the players arrived?  I went with black cloths to cover unexplored sections and I find it's the best way to go.  I'll even occasionally put a book or empty box or something next to the dungeon and cover it as well; keeps 'em guessing.

City State no, I only outlined the building so there no additional info revealed.

For the other dungeon my normal MO is that I build the dungeon as we go. Generally I will keep to a 10x10 area once it gets to that size and tear down one side and add the other as the players explore. If they want to keep track of where they are in Tegel Manor or my own Majestic Fastness beyond that then they should learn to map. But in the specific case of the picture, the dungeon was one level and small enough to keep it all up.

This also reflect my experience dealing with actual dungeon mazes in live action roleplaying. Generally your situational awareness is such that you can keep it in your head up to a point. After that well, we mapped.

The trick is that I have things very organized through the use of these bad boys.

At most I have three sets of these and before the game I will break it out the containers and line them up on a second table.  I have a fourth set that remains empty. When I got to a convention or know where the PC going to be at the next game store sessions, I will pull out what I need and just take the one crate. But if I want to I can fit everything in my Scion XB.

For my miniatures I do this. I can stack up to three foam trays per big container. For the plastic pre-painteds I just store them loose in the smaller tubs. Sorted by rough type of course.

I used to use the below wooden milk crates I had since the early 80s. My mom snagged them and then let me have over a dozen of them. They are built like battleships.

estar

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 06:30:09 PM »
Here my storage system working with the city stuff from KS 3. Normally I have three stack of the big tubs and two stacks of the small tubs. For this I had four stacks of the small tubs and two stacks of the big tubs because of all the small bits. I didn't order my KS City stuff very well. I got too many wall/doors and not enough floors. Overall KS1 (Dungeon), and KS 2(Caves) worked very nice. But KS 3 (City) is more a diorama building kit rather than something you can use to build on the fly the way I like.

Luckily I got some of the resin medieval building kit so I am somewhat covered. Because that I passed on KS 4 Castle. I ordered some sets of the crenelated pieces and small passages that works as a good enough castle.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:32:47 PM by estar »

Doom

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 06:46:12 PM »
Well, you guys have me there.

I use a plastic container for the 3 basic pieces of a DF dungeon, then a for the off pieces (curves, angle walls, and bits). Another box for water pieces, another for lava, then small boxes for shrooms and stalagmites, a clear bag for small dressing, and a card box for larger dressing.

A shelving unit holds all the minis...but overall, not nearly so impressive as you guyss'.

A nice education blog.

thedungeondelver

• Advanced D&D
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 07:04:09 PM »
I use plastic totes for the "new" Dwarven Forge, but I started back in 2000, so the bulk of my collection is actually in the custom-cut polystyrene trays and boxes it originally shipped in.

It always floored me when people would ask how best to protect and transport their Dwarven Forge (back in the day) and I'd say...why not use the boxes it came in?  Like it was some incredible revelation! :)
THE DELVERS DUNGEON

estar

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 07:42:39 PM »
Quote from: thedungeondelver;1045835
I use plastic totes for the "new" Dwarven Forge, but I started back in 2000, so the bulk of my collection is actually in the custom-cut polystyrene trays and boxes it originally shipped in.

It always floored me when people would ask how best to protect and transport their Dwarven Forge (back in the day) and I'd say...why not use the boxes it came in?  Like it was some incredible revelation! :)

I do that for my 5 sets (4x medieval building related, one dungeon resin) resin pieces but of course the dwarvenite pieces came in these flimsy cardboard boxes and plastic baggies that are torn open. So I had to come up with a scheme.

And just to show off I painted all my dungeon pieces. Took me two years before the last one was one. I enjoyed but went with pre-painted on cavern and city. However the KS5 I went back to unpainted so the result will match my DF 1 paint job and to maximize my buy.