SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Fortnite: I really don't see how people like this.

Started by Darrin Kelley, June 17, 2018, 06:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrin Kelley

I have been playing this game for awhile. Since it has been free on the Nintendo Switch.

It's one of the most kill crazy games I have never seen. Made for players who want to shoot everybody else at random. There seems to be no intellect to this game. And frankly, I have better shooters to play.

Spinachcat

You get to build shit, blow up shit and then the storm comes and you can be last man standing.

It's a fast adrenaline rush game, not a tactical team shooter.

What current shooter do you prefer?

Krimson

I got it on Switch a few days ago because it was free. I played two Battle Royales, somehow won the second one without doing a thing. I haven't played since. I'm not big on shooters, but I'm pretty sure I don't want Minecraft in my shooters.
"Anyways, I for one never felt like it had a worse \'yiff factor\' than any other system." -- RPGPundit

Darrin Kelley

I'm more old school. My favorite shooter of all time was Rise Of The Triad. The very first game that started the team shooter with different selectable characters phase.

I'm so old shool that the concept of cheating in these games are not only foreign to me. But completely offensive. I believe cheaters are the lowest of the lowest form of scum. And any game with a large population of them causes me to leave pretty quickly. The game's community matters. That's how these games got popular to begin with. Cheaters kill that sense of community dead.

AndresLey

It's not all that random as you think when you get more into it and learn all the nuances, Darrin. There's a lot of decision-making involved. But I'm not too crazy about Fortnite either, nor am I too crazy about the whole battle royale genre. I'm currently enjoying Overwatch a ton.

Krimson

I won the second game I played running around doing absolutely nothing at all. I uninstalled after that. Too weird for me.
"Anyways, I for one never felt like it had a worse \'yiff factor\' than any other system." -- RPGPundit

KandiKlover

People just mindlessly gravitate to whatever the lastest fad is to feel special about themselves and fit in/have something to talk about. They ride that into the ground for a few months to a couple years then completely forget about it when they move onto the next fad. That's the mentality of most people that call themselves "gamers" these days and why I don't bother talking hobby with most of them.

Motorskills

Quote from: KandiKlover;1046581People just mindlessly gravitate to whatever the lastest fad is to feel special about themselves and fit in/have something to talk about. They ride that into the ground for a few months to a couple years then completely forget about it when they move onto the next fad. That's the mentality of most people that call themselves "gamers" these days and why I don't bother talking hobby with most of them.

You must stick solidly to a single hobby for years and decades, you can't dip in and out?
You can't have other interests at the same time?

Talk to whomever you want, but this gatekeeping is not only insulting (because someone's interests don't match yours doesn't make it mindless), ......but it's also irrelevant.

Commercial gaming operations don't really give a toss what you think Gamer Identity should be, they are too busy looking for the next "fad", and hoping that it will actually stick around, a la Minecraft, Candy Crush, and Words With Friends etc. But the five thousand other games that have come and gone in the meantime have value too.

It's also wrong because the boundaries of our "hobby" aren't that easily defined either, and has plenty of fads within it. I can well imagine there's someone out there that thinks you aren't hardcore enough to be a true gamer.

Think of the spread of interest in World of Warcraft when it came out, and the fact that people dipped in and out of it all the time over the next decade, at all skill and commitment levels. What is your mathematical formula to distinguish a Gamer from a gamer? Albeit to a lesser extent there's a similar discussion to be had with RPGs.
"Gosh it's so interesting (profoundly unsurprising) how men with all these opinions about women's differentiation between sexual misconduct, assault and rape reveal themselves to be utterly tone deaf and as a result, systemically part of the problem." - Minnie Driver, December 2017

" Using the phrase "virtue signalling" is \'I\'m a sociopath\' signalling ". J Wright, July 2018

Christopher Brady

Quote from: Motorskills;1046795You must stick solidly to a single hobby for years and decades, you can't dip in and out?
You can't have other interests at the same time?

Talk to whomever you want, but this gatekeeping is not only insulting (because someone's interests don't match yours doesn't make it mindless), ......but it's also irrelevant.

Commercial gaming operations don't really give a toss what you think Gamer Identity should be, they are too busy looking for the next "fad", and hoping that it will actually stick around, a la Minecraft, Candy Crush, and Words With Friends etc. But the five thousand other games that have come and gone in the meantime have value too.

It's also wrong because the boundaries of our "hobby" aren't that easily defined either, and has plenty of fads within it. I can well imagine there's someone out there that thinks you aren't hardcore enough to be a true gamer.

Think of the spread of interest in World of Warcraft when it came out, and the fact that people dipped in and out of it all the time over the next decade, at all skill and commitment levels. What is your mathematical formula to distinguish a Gamer from a gamer? Albeit to a lesser extent there's a similar discussion to be had with RPGs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2592[/ATTACH]
"And now, my friends, a Dragon\'s toast!  To life\'s little blessings:  wars, plagues and all forms of evil.  Their presence keeps us alert --- and their absence makes us grateful." -T.A. Barron[/SIZE]

Krimson

People also gravitate to games that are FREE. Especially ones that run at 60 FPS on a shiny handheld device.

Motorskills

Quote from: Christopher Brady;1046811[ATTACH=CONFIG]2592[/ATTACH]

"Gosh it's so interesting (profoundly unsurprising) how men with all these opinions about women's differentiation between sexual misconduct, assault and rape reveal themselves to be utterly tone deaf and as a result, systemically part of the problem." - Minnie Driver, December 2017

" Using the phrase "virtue signalling" is \'I\'m a sociopath\' signalling ". J Wright, July 2018

Christopher Brady

Quote from: Motorskills;1046833

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2605[/ATTACH]

Anyway, ignoring the strawman, the issue I have with Battle Royale is how lazy it is.  There doesn't take much work to make one of these.  You don't need AI, you don't need much other than a weapon skin and reload animation client side.  Some models for various models for enemy players and weapons, a few ever shrinking maps, some of which will be ignored in favour of one or two (Like Football, American or European, players will want a map that they can memorize and in Football, there are two goals at equidistantly apart, lines delineating sections of the field of battle, all things easily remembered so they can focus on the match) and BOOM!  You are DONE!

And worse there's the game play, it's either a couple of moments of frantic action, or long stretches of nothing but random looting until you're forced into the smaller battle zone at which point you MAY get a fight (or get sniped from a distance with no clue how, that's always fun in a game!) or you're waiting/wandering aimlessly some more until finally you kill people or you die.

I don't get how that's fun.  If you do, great, but I don't.  Unfortunately, because it's easy and cheap to make compared to a real game, which is often single player (believe it or not) thus requiring more actual work, the big companies are simply going to pump out content for it and let the industry fallow.
"And now, my friends, a Dragon\'s toast!  To life\'s little blessings:  wars, plagues and all forms of evil.  Their presence keeps us alert --- and their absence makes us grateful." -T.A. Barron[/SIZE]

Omega

Quote from: Krimson;1044454I got it on Switch a few days ago because it was free. I played two Battle Royales, somehow won the second one without doing a thing. I haven't played since. I'm not big on shooters, but I'm pretty sure I don't want Minecraft in my shooters.

People have been wanting to add RTS like building to FPS games for a while now. Ive played and playtested a few. Everything from building machines from a template, building sentry guns, spawn points, or in one proto version, a rudimentary building construction set.

And bemusingly people have been adding FPS and RTS into Minecraft. check out the Airship Pirates mod. Pretty impressive what they pulled off.