SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

RQG - New RuneQuest edition to be titled RUNEQUEST: ROLEPLAYING IN GLORANTHA

Started by MOB, April 07, 2017, 04:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOB

MOB from Chaosium here. We've just announced the forthcoming new edition of RuneQuest will be formally known as RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha, or 'RQG' for short. (Up to now, the new rules have been variously referred to as 'RQ4' and 'RQ7', so rather than try to give the new edition a number, 'RQG' neatly avoids further confusion.)

RQG is due out for Christmas 2017 - and it won't be Kickstarted. More details here.

This is the cover of the RuneQuest Quickstart, which will be released on Free RPG Day (June 17). The art is a homage to Luise Perrine's much-loved cover for the classic 2nd edition of the RuneQuest rules. It's by Andrey Fetisov, who also illustrated our Call of Cthulhu: The Coloring Book.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]862[/ATTACH]
MOB from Chaosium

Llew ap Hywel

Genuine question but other than for Glorantha what do I get from RQ:G that I'm not getting from Mythras?

Im inclined to buy just for the Glorantha specific material but what can you tell me to make that a definite rather than a maybe?
Talk gaming or talk to someone else.

Raleel

http://www.chaosium.com/blog/designing-the-new-runequest-part-3/ Might help, along with the two previous design notes mentioned in the article.

Outside of getting rid of special effects and a deeper incorporation of runes with the character, I don't know that anything is seriously different.

estar

This from Part 2 is total horseshit

QuoteThe RuneQuest percentage skills character sheet elegantly serves non-combat roleplaying through these two important design rules:

RPG Design Rule a: "If it's not in the rules, it's not in the gameplay." [ie, player knows it's not an important thing to think about]

RPG Design Rule b: "If, in a scenario crisis, a player can't find problem-solving tools on their character sheet, they won't look elsewhere for them." [ie, When players are flummoxed, they look to their character sheets for inspiration. And they won't be inspired to use any tool they don't find there.]

So they say fuck you if circumstances in a Glorantha campaign are such that the player feel the best course of action is to open up a smithy in Apple Lane but because there are no rules in RQ to run a smithy that shouldn't be part of a campaign. And that players are so stupid that they can't imagine the situation as if they were really in Glorantha and rely on what they know about the setting.

Of course if the referee browbeat the players into thinking that if it isn't the rule you can't attempt the action of course they will be looking to their character sheet for inspiration. Because unless they find a rule to cover what they want to do the referee will say fuck you regardless if it make sense as if the character really existed.

Llew ap Hywel

Quote from: Raleel;955908http://www.chaosium.com/blog/designing-the-new-runequest-part-3/ Might help, along with the two previous design notes mentioned in the article.

Outside of getting rid of special effects and a deeper incorporation of runes with the character, I don't know that anything is seriously different.

Thanks I have read those and that's my impression, to be honest I'm not seeing much chance of me picking this up unless it's just for the Glorantha material and I think I'd rather spend my RPG budget elsewhere.

TheShadow

It's a nice looking cover! I'll try to pick up the Quickstart in hard copy if it's available.
You can shake your fists at the sky. You can do a rain dance. You can ignore the clouds completely. But none of them move the clouds.

- Dave "The Inexorable" Noonan solicits community feedback before 4e\'s release

MOB

Quote from: HorusArisen;955903Genuine question but other than for Glorantha what do I get from RQ:G that I'm not getting from Mythras?

Im inclined to buy just for the Glorantha specific material but what can you tell me to make that a definite rather than a maybe?

RQG is built off the chassis, so-to-speak, of RQ2, not RQ6.

Some of the most significant changes to the new RuneQuest are Runes and Passions, and the use of Rune Points to cast Rune Spells. As Jeff writes in a recent RQ Design Notes, these new features are easy for players and GMs to get the hang of, but they add tremendously to player opportunities. This has really been apparent in recent playtesting, taking both experienced RQ hands and RuneQuest novices through 'The Broken Tower', the introductory adventure that is part of the RuneQuest Quickstart.
MOB from Chaosium

MOB

Quote from: estar;955916This from Part 2 is total horseshit

So they say fuck you if circumstances in a Glorantha campaign are such that the player feel the best course of action is to open up a smithy in Apple Lane but because there are no rules in RQ to run a smithy that shouldn't be part of a campaign. And that players are so stupid that they can't imagine the situation as if they were really in Glorantha and rely on what they know about the setting.

Of course if the referee browbeat the players into thinking that if it isn't the rule you can't attempt the action of course they will be looking to their character sheet for inspiration. Because unless they find a rule to cover what they want to do the referee will say fuck you regardless if it make sense as if the character really existed.

Well I guess the player looks at their character sheet and checks their character's Craft: Metal skill. If it's decent, maybe they should go into the smithing business in Apple Lane. If it is isn't, maybe they use their social connections (also detailed on the sheet) to find someone who is, and instead use their Bargain skill to drum up business.
MOB from Chaosium

Llew ap Hywel

Quote from: MOB;955925RQG is built off the chassis, so-to-speak, of RQ2, not RQ6.

Some of the most significant changes to the new RuneQuest are Runes and Passions, and the use of Rune Points to cast Rune Spells. As Jeff writes in a recent RQ Design Notes, these new features are easy for players and GMs to get the hang of, but they add tremendously to player opportunities. This has really been apparent in recent playtesting, taking both experienced RQ hands and RuneQuest novices through 'The Broken Tower', the introductory adventure that is part of the RuneQuest Quickstart.

Yes, but what am I getting that I won't get playing Mythras? How are rune points different from magic points? Why are your passions different from Mythras?

MOB

Quote from: HorusArisen;955928Yes, but what am I getting that I won't get playing Mythras? How are rune points different from magic points? Why are your passions different from Mythras?

Rune Points are very different to Magic Points (btw, RQG has Magic Points too). Read the most recent Design Notes. And more about it in this earlier Design Notes.
MOB from Chaosium

brettmb

If you're from a reputable company like Chaosium, then you should know not to post ads in the main forum. Moved.

Llew ap Hywel

Quote from: MOB;955930Rune Points are very different to Magic Points (btw, RQG has Magic Points too). Read the most recent Design Notes. And more about it in this earlier Design Notes.

I've read them.
Your going to have to explain how they differ because I'm not seeing it. I like some of the flavour but so far the only thing even garnering my interest is the Glorantha content.

estar

Quote from: MOB;955926Well I guess the player looks at their character sheet and checks their character's Craft: Metal skill. If it's decent, maybe they should go into the smithing business in Apple Lane. If it is isn't, maybe they use their social connections (also detailed on the sheet) to find someone who is, and instead use their Bargain skill to drum up business.

You are basing RQ: RP in Glorantha on RQ2? There is no Craft: Metal skill or Bargain (however there is oratory). Which is why I picked running a smithy as an example. There are not rules for running a smithy as business it is certainly a reasonable thing for a player playing a character in Glorantha to attempt.

If RQ: Glorantha added those skills great. However my point is not the specific mechanics, my point is that the attitude should be always one where if it is reasonable that a character can make the attempt with Glorantha then it is referee job figure out how to make a ruling irregardless whether it is spelled out in the rules or the character sheet or not. That the second point raised in the design post make is sounds like the game will say you are only capable of the things we allowed you to do in the rules and on your character sheet.

AmazingOnionMan

I think Estar's fears are unfounded. It is still a BRP-game, and BRP-games has always had character sheets directly spelling out a character's capabilities. When something inevitably pops up that isn't spelled out, it has always been a breeze to wing it.
My only worry is that when it comes to sacred cows, Glorantha is a humongous one. As long as they avoid the glorified bovine cousin in the actual game design, we're good.

AsenRG

Quote from: Raleel;955908http://www.chaosium.com/blog/designing-the-new-runequest-part-3/ Might help, along with the two previous design notes mentioned in the article.

Why would I want to "get rid of the special effects", what do I gain from less realism coupled with less versatility and variety?
What Do You Do In Tekumel? See examples!
"Life is not fair. If the campaign setting is somewhat like life then the setting also is sometimes not fair." - Bren