SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

What is Magical Tea Party?

Started by Aglondir, July 11, 2013, 10:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aglondir

I heard this term on the forum, but I have no idea what it means.

Doom

It comes from a troll forum, not this one, but basically means "to play without any actual rules".

It's a somewhat derogatory term, but, bottom line, there will be times in a RPG where there's nothing in the rulebook that tells the GM/players how to handle it. So, they MTP (Magical Tea Party) it, making it up as they go along.

Thing is if you're paying actual money for a game, and you're playing MTP more often than not, the question arises: why pay for the rules?
(taken during hurricane winds)

A nice education blog.

Sacrosanct

It's a term quite most often used by people whenever the GM needs to make a ruling for anything.  Ever.  These people feel like every possible scenario must be addressed in the rules, and the GM shouldn't be allowed to make a ruling at any time, or they aren't playing a "real" game, and are playing MTP instead.  it is often paired with "mother-may-I".

It's really nothing more than a passive aggressive way to tell someone that they are having badwrong fun playing RPGs.
D&D is not an "everyone gets a ribbon" game.  If you\'re stupid, your PC will die.  If you\'re an asshole, your PC will die (probably from the other PCs).  If you\'re unlucky, your PC may die.  Point?  PC\'s die.  Get over it and roll up a new one.

Gronan of Simmerya

Go ask Alice, I think she'll know.
You should go to GaryCon.  Period.

The rules can\'t cure stupid, and the rules can\'t cure asshole.

Koltar

So....
 Its not when the adventuring party suddenly decides to protest the King's heavy taxes with launched fireballs and 'magic missile'?

- Ed C.
The return of \'You can\'t take the Sky From me!\'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUn-eN8mkDw&feature=rec-fresh+div

This is what a really cool FANTASY RPG should be like :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-WnjVUBDbs

Still here, still alive, at least Seven years now...

James Gillen

I can see Greyhawk from here!

JG
-My own opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time. And anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass.
 -Christopher Hitchens
-Be very very careful with any argument that calls for hurting specific people right now in order to theoretically help abstract people later.
-Daztur

Imperator

It is another way of saying "my gaming is better than yours" as many others you will find in this or other sites.
My name is Ramón Nogueras. Running now Vampire: the Masquerade (Giovanni Chronicles IV for just 3 players), and itching to resume my Call of Cthulhu campaign (The Sense of the Sleight-of-Hand Man).

S'mon

Quote from: Sacrosanct;670164It's a term quite most often used by people whenever the GM needs to make a ruling for anything.  Ever.  These people feel like every possible scenario must be addressed in the rules, and the GM shouldn't be allowed to make a ruling at any time, or they aren't playing a "real" game, and are playing MTP instead.  it is often paired with "mother-may-I".

So it's another derogatory term for Free Kriegspiel.

Bill

Quote from: Sacrosanct;670164It's a term quite most often used by people whenever the GM needs to make a ruling for anything.  Ever.  These people feel like every possible scenario must be addressed in the rules, and the GM shouldn't be allowed to make a ruling at any time, or they aren't playing a "real" game, and are playing MTP instead.  it is often paired with "mother-may-I".

It's really nothing more than a passive aggressive way to tell someone that they are having badwrong fun playing RPGs.

I would say it is based on about certain personality types having control issues.

The "You are playing rpgs wrong" is just self justification after the fact.

And I apologize if this offends anyone; That is not my intent, just stating my opinion.

mcbobbo

See also the antonym - Player Entitlement
"It is the mark of an [intelligent] mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

flyerfan1991

Quote from: Imperator;670196It is another way of saying "my gaming is better than yours" as many others you will find in this or other sites.

Yep.  People whipping out their e-peens as if people are impressed by that sort of thing.

Rincewind1

Well, my game is better than yours, for the note.

That out of the way - it's an attack against a GM who dares to provide rulings rather than stick to the Holy Writ of a mechanic.

On the subject, my favourite criticism was "Making houserules is like chiselling in shit".
Furthermore, I consider that  This is Why We Don\'t Like You thread should be closed

mcbobbo

To be fair, it is useful to have labels to use as shorthand for concepts.

I just wish they didn't all devolve into pejoratives.
"It is the mark of an [intelligent] mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Kaiu Keiichi

No, they're right.

I've had far too many bullshitter faux-novellist GMs who want to railroad me into their red dragon inn made up BS. A good example was a friend of mine whose GM said she couldn't use sneak attack in 3.5, even though she fulfilled all the rules conditions to get a sneak attack, because he felt it was "too powerful and didn't feel right."

I'm down for GMs having their appropriate authority, but if I want free form gaming, I'll go to a Mind's Eye Theatre LARP or take an improv class.
Rules and design matter
The players are in charge
Simulation is narrative
Storygames are RPGs

Sacrosanct

Quote from: Kaiu Keiichi;670422No, they're right.

This implies that you're disagreeing with me, but then you go on to say something that had nothing to do with what I actually said.
D&D is not an "everyone gets a ribbon" game.  If you\'re stupid, your PC will die.  If you\'re an asshole, your PC will die (probably from the other PCs).  If you\'re unlucky, your PC may die.  Point?  PC\'s die.  Get over it and roll up a new one.