TheRPGSite

Other Games, Development, & Campaigns => Play by Post Games => Topic started by: Mr. Kent on April 28, 2014, 12:19:08 PM

Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on April 28, 2014, 12:19:08 PM
It is early May on Qetesh, and Summer is in full swing.

Qetesh at a glance:
Atmosphere: inert gas (02 tanks needed outside, otherwise safe)
Temperature: warm
Biosphere: none native (imported agriculture)
Population: 2,600,000
Tech Level: 4
General Impressions: domed settlements, agriculture bubbles, red and orange hued mesas and canyons

You are all at Perimeter Base, a split-level bunker in the Qeteshi wilderness. The original Agency chose this location for its decent proximity to urban resources and its relative seclusion from nosy neighbors. The nearest dome is the First Municipality of Qetesh, dubbed Q-Town by the locals. It is north, two hours away, and has the largest functioning spaceport on Qetesh. Five hours away going east is the dome of Jessup. It is rich with agriculture, but has to use Q-Town's port to ship offworld, and its population is bitter about that.

You each have quarters and a workspace in the base. In addition to a Common Room and Dining Area, Perimeter Base has a few key features:
The only inhabitants of Perimeter Base are yourselves and four others:
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/OhSiris/AgencyCrewGroup1.png)

The skeleton crew is due to the Agency's decline over the years. When Nadir took over, he had a full staff. Now it is all he can do to keep things running himself while his specialists are away. You haven't been employed here long enough to know just how bad off the Agency is, but the look on Modia's face says you're about to find out--she asks you all to come to the  Orrery to speak with Dr. Nadir.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on April 28, 2014, 01:47:20 PM
Blinov grunts and complies immediately, dropping the precognitive flash cards he was practicing with. As he heads down the hallway he cranks up the noise he's listening to on his oversized headphones with the cartoon ghost stickers. He's into "churn-drop" apparently, a musical genre popularized by the Hochog that prominently features watery roaring noises not unlike a powerful toilet tearing itself apart.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on April 28, 2014, 01:50:58 PM
Upon receiving the notice to report to the Orrery, Alexsandr pours himself a shot of vodka and as he looks in the mirror he says out loud to himself in Russian, "Поехали!"  (pa-yé-kha-lee!)

He then quickly shaves, combs his hair, grooms his goatee, and splashes on some cologne.  He gets dressed quickly and takes a final look at himself in the mirror, and makes some last minute adjustments to his clothes to make sure there no wrinkles and everything is lined up proper.  

Satisfied with his appearance, he pours himself another shot of vodka and downs it quickly.  He starts for the door but then stops suddenly in his tracks and goes back into the bathroom.  He quickly gargles and rinses with some powerful mouthwash.  He spits and rinses it down the drain.

He smiles at himself and says in Russian, "Ni Pukha, Ni Pyera!"  (nee poo-khuh nee pee-rah!)

Completely finished and ready to go, he heads out of his room and makes his way to the Orrery.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on April 28, 2014, 08:40:21 PM
Placing the last of the flapjacks atop a stacked plate and covering it with a clean dishtowel to stay warm, Jolene 'tsks' at having to be torn away from the second pan cooling with leftover bacon grease and tidbits. "Well the gravy is just gonna have to suffer a little; the good Doctor is callin'."

Checking all the fire is off and sharps put away, which being a tech 4 kitchen already is with all its safeties she did not grow up with, she covers the cooling pan and dish piled high with bacon each with a lid. She whips off her apron in a flash as if it was an emergency and folds it in a smooth motion, with a speed that speaks of lifelong experience of emergencies while wearing an apron. As she heads out the door there's a last minute pause for vanity as Jolene tidies her hair for fly-aways and readies a practiced smile.

In imitation of her mother's oft said words to her, she says aloud "Here's the real thing, Josephine. Make your family proud." {You know I will, momma!} she mentally replies to herself.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on April 29, 2014, 12:09:53 PM
As you enter the Orrery, Modia looks up. "Привет!" she greets everyone. "Oh, I'm sorry--and hello to you, too, Ms. Rydell!" she adds, not wanting Jolene to feel left out. Upon close inspection of the gynoid, you can tissue fatigue where her synthetic eyelids were removed, suggesting her LED-like oculars were installed well after her manufacture. Her unblinking stare turns towards Dr. Nadir at the end of the room.

Nadir has an oxygen mask today, and of course Dr. Ling is close by. "I have your weekly pay," he tells you upfront. "I have transferred 150 credits to each of you…"

He looks around in frustration. "I know, I know, it's not the agreed upon 300 a week, but I'm in a bit of a bind…" He goes into a brief coughing fit, and sighs deeply when he recovers.

"As you know, my funding comes from my contracts--various groups who have purchased the designs for my inventions and pay me a royalty. Well I just received word from my biggest client, Newsun-Matsuri Energy Concern." As Nadir speaks, Modia calls upon the Orrery to flash a projection of the NME logo, a rising sun with an electric bolt down the center.

"It seems they've discontinued the contract for the battery I created. I…I'm sure I'll find a new client soon, however. In the meantime, I can decrease funds to my 'roaming assets', the agents in the field. Or perhaps Newsun-Matsuri can be reasoned with…they do have an office in Q-Town, though they are not aware I am even on the same planet."

[Modia can bring up the Orrery's map of Titan Sector (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/OhSiris/SWNTitanSector.jpg) when needed.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on April 29, 2014, 01:29:41 PM
"Was the termination of the account legal according to the contract between you two?" Alexandr asks genuinely.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on April 29, 2014, 07:36:35 PM
"And did they say specifically what was wrong with the battery?" adds Binov. "If there's some way to refine the tech we should look into it." He looks over at Jo-jo, hoping she might have some science insight.

Binov hates cash-flow disruption, but he's too loyal on general principle to grumble audibly about this latest setback. He just mentally crosses out a few of the holo-games he was planning on purchasing.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on April 30, 2014, 01:42:16 AM
"Fifteen years ago I designed the battery for Newsun-Matsuri--meant to power portable construction and mining equipment and vehicles for much longer than any B-cell. I dubbed this the X-cell, able to last at last twice as long as a B, and recharging in half the time!" He smiles proudly, his cracked lips exposing yellowing teeth. "I'd like to think the utility of my battery helped NME become the massive star-spanning force it is today."

Nadir shakes his head. "But time marches on, I'm afraid," he explains. He turns to Alexandr. "A representative here on Qetesh--name of Ran Iijima--sent me a message. Basically 'Thanks for your design, but we no longer have need of it.' They're upgrading, it seems. She cited an 'obsolescence contingency' I'd foolishly signed years back. If they're not using my design, they ain't gonna pay me for it."

"They aren't being fair," Modia interjects, looking at Nadir with concern. "Tell them the rest," she urges.

Nadir wheezes. "They were within their rights to terminate the contract, but they do owe me the rest of this month's royalty--2500 credits total." Even the normally silent Dr. Ling scoffs aloud at this.

"Unfortunately the x-cell was costly to manufacture, else I'd have made them for your use. NME even holds the original prototype in one of their warehouses."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on April 30, 2014, 04:24:05 AM
"I trust the good doctor has the skee-matics for this X battery with him still. 'Mind your egg layin' hens,' we'd say back home. Even the big city folks up in Jessup understood the sooth in that." Jolene beams to everyone, "Just give us a sales catalog and tell us where the customers are linin' up and we'll get you set to rights right quick!"

{I know the value of a good battery, as that makes life on Qetesh. These domes about would just be linin' up for some easier livin'. And I even showed some rarified living, with 'sales catalog' and 'skee-matics'. I done good,} she thinks.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on April 30, 2014, 10:51:13 AM
Alexandr nods as Dr. Nadir speaks and listens intently.

"We'll have a talk with this Ran Iijima and get the credits owed for the contract," he says with Russian accent, "does Newsun-Matsuri own the rights to the original prototype?  Should I have it returned to you?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on April 30, 2014, 01:26:04 PM
Binov also nods along, relieved that the oldsters are setting the course. The big picture business decisions usually go over his head and he doesn't like to admit it. His competencies lie elsewhere.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 01, 2014, 02:30:30 AM
"Yes, Ms. Rydell, I do have the schematics for it, which I can send to your compad shortly," Nadir informs Jolene. "If you can market it to the people like you say, I'm sure you'll have good results!"

Nadir considers Aleksandr's question carefully. "They do technically own the original prototype, due to the unfortunate contract negotiation I blundered those years ago. If they're going to upgrade to some other energy supply, I wouldn't think they'd miss it, however."

"Speaking of this mysterious new 'upgrade'," he continues, "I would be curious to find out more about it. Iijima may not be forthcoming with such trade secrets, but if Newsun-Matsuri's discovered something interesting I see it as a professional obligation that we  uncover it for ourselves, no?" His eyes grow wide, eager, and he leans forward in his chair.

At this point Dr. Ling steps in. "Don’t get worked up now, Nagesh," Ling tells her patient flatly, placing a hand on his shoulder. She opens a metallic case on a nearby table, revealing six small syringes of green and yellow chemicals. You all recognize this as the harsh chemotherapy cocktail Dr. Nadir must receive daily.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 01, 2014, 03:23:42 AM
"Well that's just a matter of chattin' up their techs with a fifth or two. Half them tech fellas think they can hold their licker better'n they can, and the other half can barely look a woman in the eye. We just need a roughneck with a hollow leg, to challenge their male pride, and a few fillies flashing their pearly whites, and they'll hogtie themselves." She rests her hands backwards on her hips, throwing her elbows back and chest out as if readied for a good self-satisfied laugh.

{I wonder if the contracts on Waldo would be better. They have those big prisons in constant need of energy and backup generators. Those customers could be big. But that place is right nasty, as I heard from blood myself. I dunno if I could abide in making the miserable into the hellacious...} she multitasks an internal debate while feeding much needed high spirits in a room in need of it.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 01, 2014, 05:43:27 PM
"Well," Alexsandr says thoughtfully, "I guess we could ask for the prototype back and see if they are going to be cooperative.  We will see what we can do."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 02, 2014, 02:15:31 AM
Modia nods. "I'll make sure your truck's battery is fueled," she assures you, and heads to the garage. Ten minutes later the vehicle's B-cell battery is charged and ready to go. The attentive android has placed three atmofilters and three six-hour O2 tanks sitting in the cab. There are three back-up tanks in the back of the truck, each worth three hours of O2. Since the trip to Q-Town is only two hours, you should be fine to reach the dome. However, any trips to Jessup or domes beyond will require a change in tanks.

"NME's Qetesh Office shouldn't be hard to find--just look close to the spacedock," Nadir explains.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 02, 2014, 07:13:56 AM
As the drive begins, Binov says to the others, "I'm getting a low-level precognitive buzz about this business. Nothing concrete or certain, just a funny feeling. Like what we're heading into isn't what it appears to be on the surface. Could be a nasty surprise, could be a missable opportunity if we're not attentive. Too soon to tell for sure."

He pulls out his precognitive flash cards and draws one, looking puzzled at the result. "Or maybe it's nothing. Anyway, you two have any thoughts you want to share that we couldn't talk about in front of the paymasters?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 02, 2014, 07:27:46 AM
"We're just being friendly, is all. Askin' for something they're no longer using back, and shootin' the shit with the rest, makin' acquaintances. I'm sure the good doctor would have told us if there was bad blood left between them." Jolene is glad everyone is facing the same direction in the truck cab, lest they see her practiced smile waver momentarily. {I mean, the good doctor just wouldn't do that, right?}
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 02, 2014, 11:04:36 AM
"Yes," Alexandsr says, "just a polite and friendly visit on the surface, but this will also be a reconnaissance mission for information on NME's position."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 02, 2014, 07:06:03 PM
The glint of the Q-Town dome catches your eyes as the afternoon sun makes the curvy habitat glow. The gate guards let you into the long entrance tunnel, and soon you find yourselves traveling down Q-Town's main drag. The wide lanes are perfect for massive cargo transport--Jolene knows firsthand how busy they get come harvest time.

From the center dome four smaller bubbles bud outside, and the largest, easternmost bubble contains the spacedock. The central dome has a hotel and bar, and a few commercial outlets.

A shadow suddenly passes over the street, as a sleek-looking craft passes over the dome and heads for the port.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 03, 2014, 01:08:34 AM
OOC: Besides clothes, loaned atmomask & O2 tanks, only really bringing a compad for communications and directions, and maybe my Tech4 backpack if it is stylish and feminine enough to double as a purse/handbag.

"How long should we chew the fat? I'm thinkin' there'll be resistance couched as big city professionalism. But if we can sweet talk we might figure out the workers' watering hole." Surprisingly all business, Jolene cruises through her compad searching out public data on NME, their location, their workers, and nearby restaurants & bars. [GM, let me know if and what to roll]

"And which of you two sugars is gonna be the big dawg to these tech rascals? Also, either of you good with a shot glass and a 5 o'clock shadow? You two are gonna take the lead on tech talk, just lean in casual like for my help if you want. I found a lady showin' a little know-how has scared off more than a few." Jolene is compiling any good data leads and trying to commit them to memory. {Goodness help us if a tech woman shows up like a wrench in the works.}
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 03, 2014, 01:15:40 AM
Some things I'll give you gratis, but a successful Int+Culture/Qetesh roll would definitely expand the depth of Jo-jo's findings...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 03, 2014, 01:20:45 AM
That's 2d6+INT+Culture/Qetesh, yes? Off to the die roller room! Brb and edit this post...

Fucking die roller... ;)

That's 8. 7+1+0, as the first skill point opens to 0 (counterintuitive, I know, but I do have the skill).
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 03, 2014, 06:20:53 AM
There are two prominent places to get a good drink in Q-Town--"good" being a relative term, of course.

Towards the spacedock there's the Golden Orb, a bar and inn which is very tourist-focused and a bit upscale. They have many rooms and there are several good reviews for the establishment on the net.

In the center dome there's the Stumbling Prairie Dog, which is sort of a dive. They have a few rooms upstairs that rent by the hour. Apparently someone got stabbed to death there just last week.

One of the outer domes is home to a diner, Dolly Q's, which doesn't specialize in hard drinks. They do make a mean synthetic milkshake, though!

Meanwhile, as you travel through the city, you all notice increasingly more Protectorate forces present and patrolling. These aren't marines like Aleksandr, rather the local police variety, trained and regulated by commanders sent from the Protectorate capital on Atlas.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 03, 2014, 07:34:13 AM
Quote from: Opaopajr;746489


"And which of you two sugars is gonna be the big dawg to these tech rascals? Also, either of you good with a shot glass and a 5 o'clock shadow?


Binov unconsciously scratches his baby smooth cheek and says to Aleksandr, "Sounds like a job for you крутой парень."

[OOC: I'm carrying pretty much what it says on my character sheet.]

"Can we avoid the Stumbling Prairie Dog if possible? Sounds like the kind of place where a fight stumbles into you, and I only barely pulled you [looking at Jo-jo] back into the land of the living the last time that happened. If we can make a good impression by ensuring the Golden Orb is the venue I'm willing to spring a little for it."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 03, 2014, 08:24:39 AM
"I'd rather not be reminded of that house of ill repute, thank you kindly. But I'm indebted to you all the same, and agree, that's not the place to go." A stiffening of the spine and purse of the lips flags her seriousness.

"I'm a thinkin' the greenhorns would likely meet at the Golden Orb. But Dolly Q's might be the better bet to get them friendly like. Besides, licker may be quicker, but beer still brings cheer," and with that she relaxes back again.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 03, 2014, 04:44:56 PM
Alexandr chuckles deeply as he says, "да, друзья, I will do the drinking.  Just tell me what to say, Jolene."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 03, 2014, 10:01:40 PM
Q-Net, Qetesh's inter-dome info network, has this to say about Newsun-Matsuri Energy Concern:

Established in 3125, NME was born from the merger of Newsun Energy Corp. and Matsuri Zaibatsu. Predating the Titan Protectorate by 25 years, they were instrumental in the remapping of drill routes and opening of new trade lanes.

Their current CEO is Aldous Newsun, whose grandfather Harlan Newsun oversaw the merger with Matsuri. The current Board of Directors is Taito Iijima, Regine Garland, Forneus Olaffson, Sadira Nadir, and Vayyas Ghota.

NME's Q-Town office does not have a director-in-residence, instead relying on a rotating series of supervisors. Ran Iijima is the latest of these.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 04, 2014, 07:25:23 PM
OOC: I also would check our team's public profile, too. Whether you, the GM, want to say I did that before or now is up to you. I'm checking for anything damning that would leave us exposed and avoided, naturally.

"Well, I've been all about how to bake it, but never got to what we're making. We all know about the prototype, but what do y'all say we should be askin' for? And how shall we tease it outta them, if we gotta? You two have a good head for plannin' and caution, so what're we talkin' about and how far we gonna push?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 04, 2014, 10:47:22 PM
"We will try to find out what kind of man this Ran Iijima from any workers that we can speak with in the bar," Alexsandr says with his Russian accent, "when we actually speak with Ran Iijima we will demand the money owed Dr. Nadir and we will ask for the original prototype back."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 05, 2014, 12:03:14 AM
(OOC: We'll say you checked on this previously.) On the Perimeter Agency's public profile, it is known:

The Golden Orb appears before you like an oasis amid Qetesh's sun-baked dryness. Gold-leaf palms, a plant species that flourishes in Qetesh's rich soil, surround the hotel's portico. The lobby has a vaulted ceiling and a dangling chandelier--made up of glowing golden orbs, of course.

There is a vending machine here with imported soda pop, and an old delivery man is replenishing its supply of NovaStar, NovaStar Zero, and NovaStar Binary Blast (3 cr each!). As the older man futzes with his inventory pad, several cans of Binary Blast fall free of the case and roll across the marble lobby floor.

A large holographic activity board is next to the lobby desk. It is regularly updated with local attractions to entice tourists, as well as interplanetary news items brought in by visitors from other worlds.

The bar and eatery is inside to the right, and it's pretty active today. Besides a few relaxed Protectorate soldiers on their break, there are several obvious tourists.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 05, 2014, 01:15:27 AM
"Gracious!" slips out as an unconscious whisper, with Jolene rolling up her sleeves beelining towards the rolling soda cans. As she starts picking up some of the furthest cans while closing towards the old restocking man, she speaks with a friendly voice, "If they were kids, they'd be off to mischief! Mind a little help?"

She smile to the old man as the scene reminds her of more than one uncle trying to hold together the household after the loss of an aunt.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 05, 2014, 10:12:22 AM
"Come tovarich," Alexsandr says to Binov, "let us see if they have good vodka here."

He strides over to the bar and stands right next to the two NME men.  

He smiles at them and gets the bartender's attention by saying loudly, "two shots of vodka, please!"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 05, 2014, 10:31:49 AM
The old vendor seems embarrassed, but is comforted by Jolene's words. "Ah, thankee verily milady," he chirps. His accent is flowery and archaic, and not readily identifiable.

"Wouldst thou care for a beverage?" he asks her, holding up a can of Binary Blast. "Tis a bold, brand new flavor!" He takes a second can and offers it up to Blinov.

***

Over at the bar, the bartender spins to greet Aleksandr. The barman is a tall and mightily mustachioed man, who provides two vodka shots in clean glasses. "5 credits, please," the barman says kindly.

The NME men nod to Aleksandr, and one subtly nudges the other. They look about as old as Blinov, possibly younger. "Is that any good?" the one asks Aleksandr curiously, pointing to the shots.

The bartender rolls his eyes and interjects. "You've been asking that about every drink here! In my opinion they're all good, but admittedly I am a bit biased. And also an alcoholic. What do you normally drink at home?"

The men look at each other, then Aleksandr. They shake their heads innocently. "We…don't. It's illegal on Asherah. Everything's illegal on Asherah."

The barman grunts, and turns away to tend to other customers.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 05, 2014, 10:59:18 AM
As the bartender turns away, Alexsandr says, "бармен, please get two glasses for my friends here and I'll buy the bottle."

Turning to the two young men, he smiles wide and says, "you have not lived until you have tasted a good potato vodka."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 05, 2014, 12:27:18 PM
[Later, when he gets a chance, Binov wants to look at the holographic activity board, specifically searching for news stories that might prove useful.]

Binov accepts both the soda from the old man (paying for it, -3 cred) AND the vodka, drinking both side by side to the disgust of the older Russian. He sits at the bar, ready to jump into the conversation with the young men depending on where it goes. He looks them over for any youth culture signifiers (tattoos, pins, hair style, unusual shoes) poking out of the uniforms that he could use as an ice-breaker.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 05, 2014, 12:33:31 PM
Blinov, please roll d20 for a Physical Save...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 05, 2014, 01:10:45 PM
Roger, got a 7 (physical save is 13).
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 05, 2014, 10:19:01 PM
The first sips of NovaStar Binary Blast are cool and refreshing, and taste very similar to regular NovaStar. Ah, but that's where Binary Blast's patented "Nano-Taste Activator" kicks in! As advertised, Binary Blast has two flavors--the activator changes regular into a fruity tropical blend!

After activation Blinov tastes sweet tropical punch for all of three seconds, and then it turns sour. There might be something off with this batch, or maybe it's not good with vodka? Perhaps the activator malfunctioned. The sour taste lingers in Blinov's mouth, and seems to get stronger for the next few minutes.

While sucking up the sour, Blinov observes that the young men have intricately-inscribed bracelets on their wrists. It’s a relatively recent fashion statement on some of the more cosmopolitan worlds, namely Shaddai and Atlas.

The first young man raises the vodka to his lips, hesitates, and then downs it quickly. The other man follows suit. They wrinkle their noses and wave their tongues.

The man closest to Aleksandr wipes his mouth. "That...that was awesome!" he beams . "Thanks, sir! I'm Montour, and this here is Baldwin. Are you guys locals?" He nods eagerly.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 06, 2014, 12:19:55 AM
Alexsandr smiles as he pours everyone another shot and says, "I am Alexsandr and this in Blinov.  It does my Russian heart good to introduce men to vodka, a true alcoholic drink.  Have another!"

He passes the shots out to everyone and holds his up in a toast and says, "to vodka!"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 06, 2014, 03:09:31 AM
To the old vendor, "Well, aren't you a gentlemen? Been a right age since I heard such decorum to a lady. Bless you dear, a little more and you'll make me blush." Leaning in for a more discreet exchange, "And if you'll indulge my forwardness, some of your words remind me a touch of home. Have ye kin a canyon or holler upon Qetesh?"

--- (insert exchange here) ---

Upon receiving the soda at the end of the exchange, "Thank you kindly, sir, and don't be a stranger next time!"

---------------

Heading toward her allies, Binov and Alexsandr, Jolene visits the bartender for a treat she's been missing of late, "Hello darlin', can you help a girl's homesickness by whipping up a mint julep? Most appreciated." She lingers for a moment smiling and watching him work, until it seems like she spots her friends.

Sauntering up to her allies instead of waiting, she greets them, "There y'all are, starting the night without me!" Brushing up by Binov and leaning friendly like upon Alexsandr as she continues, "You made friends, too. Care to share, or keepin' 'em for yourself?" Smiling to the two young men and offering 'the fish' handshake, she whips a look back to her pals, "Leave a lass all exposed like?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 06, 2014, 03:40:22 AM
The vendor mimes tipping his non-existent hat to Jolene and politely returns to his business.

Jolene arrives at the bar in time to hear the toast: "To vodka!" the young NME workers exclaim, and clink their shots. After they drink, Montour picks up on Aleksandr's declaration. "You're of Russian descent? The only Russian community we've seen is on Shaddai--we just stopped through there on our trip from Typhon," he explains. "Very…uh, interesting culture you have. This vodka, for instance, is exceptional!"

Silent Baldwin nods in agreement, but nudges Montour. "Ah, we'd better be going back to work," Montour sighs, and starts to pull away from the bar. "Our supervisor is limiting the length of all breaks until further notice." As the duo begins to get up, Baldwin seems to be checking Jolene out.

Elsewhere in the Golden Orb's bar, the marine at the nearby table puffs on his pipe and, having finally exhausted his patience, heads to the lobby. The pregnant ssathi leaves the remnants of her salad and waddles to the ladies room. The shrouded Vestry women titter amongst themselves as they watch the ssathi lumber about. They've obviously had a few too many drinks by now.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 06, 2014, 06:42:03 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;747110

While sucking up the sour, Blinov observes that the young men have intricately-inscribed bracelets on their wrists. It’s a relatively recent fashion statement on some of the more cosmopolitan worlds, namely Shaddai and Atlas.


Blinov works hard to hide the effects of the drink on him. Going on a hunch he says, "Nice bracelets," in a tone of inquiry.

[Can Blinov see the lobby from here? If he can he'd like to observe what happens to the marine.]

[Also, he still wants to check out the bulletin board for news tidbits when he gets the chance.]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 06, 2014, 10:16:34 AM
Quote from: Opaopajr;747148
Heading toward her allies, Binov and Alexsandr, Jolene visits the bartender for a treat she's been missing of late, "Hello darlin', can you help a girl's homesickness by whipping up a mint julep? Most appreciated." She lingers for a moment smiling and watching him work, until it seems like she spots her friends.


Quote from: Mr. Kent;747153
Jolene arrives at the bar in time to hear the toast: "To vodka!" the young NME workers exclaim, and clink their shots. After they drink, Montour picks up on Aleksandr's declaration. "You're of Russian descent? The only Russian community we've seen is on Shaddai--we just stopped through there on our trip from Typhon," he explains. "Very…uh, interesting culture you have. This vodka, for instance, is exceptional!"

Quote from: Opaopajr;747148
Sauntering up to her allies instead of waiting, she greets them, "There y'all are, starting the night without me!" Brushing up by Binov and leaning friendly like upon Alexsandr as she continues, "You made friends, too. Care to share, or keepin' 'em for yourself?" Smiling to the two young men and offering 'the fish' handshake, she whips a look back to her pals, "Leave a lass all exposed like?"


Alexsandr looks mollified and says, "forgive me.  Gentlemen, may I present our friend Jolene.  Jolene, this is Montour and Baldwin."

Quote from: Mr. Kent;747153
Silent Baldwin nods in agreement, but nudges Montour. "Ah, we'd better be going back to work," Montour sighs, and starts to pull away from the bar. "Our supervisor is limiting the length of all breaks until further notice." As the duo begins to get up, Baldwin seems to be checking Jolene out.


Looking shocked, Alexsandr insists as he pours another shot for everyone, "please gentlemen, have one more drink with our good friend Jolene here before you leave."

Smiling he holds up his glass and toasts again, "to women and beauty, which are one in the same!"

He slams back the shot with a satisfied ahh! sound.

He says genuinely to the NME men, "it sounds like your supervisor is hard ass, or his superiors are riding his ass to get things in line."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 06, 2014, 11:03:01 AM
In response to Blinov's compliment, quiet NME worker Baldwin finally speaks, and when he does his words are a little slurred. What a lightweight! "Oh these? Thanks. We bought 'em soon as we touched down on Shaddai. Like, jewelry's illegal on Asherah." He looks at his bracelet admiringly, only glancing away to look at Jolene.

"Everything's illegal on Asherah," Montour notes as he takes the next shot. "Our boss is Miss Iijima, actually," he adds with a shudder. "She's...well, yeah, hard-ass is the right term. But you gotta see, she's under tremendous pressure. Her dad's on the Board and all. And honestly, you can't pull off what she's attempting without a few sleepless nights."

Baldwin scoffs. "Let's not talk about Iijima. Let's talk about you, Miss Jolene," he says to the lady present--he's blushing now! "Iijima's old and fat and you...you're..." He then takes a vodka shot.

***

The lobby is visible from the double doors, and the smoking marine watches the entrance with a furrowed brow. He finally walks to the door to open it for someone--a pretty young lady with a briefcase. The marine taps his watch impatiently, but she placates him with a kiss on the cheek. They go upstairs together.

A courier arrives at the desk, and delivers a small drive. The lobby clerk seems thankful, and uploads the data to the news and activity board. The newest data from offworld has the blinking word "Breaking" next to it.
Older News (all news prior to present month, May):
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 06, 2014, 05:52:09 PM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;747206
In response to Blinov's compliment, quiet NME worker Baldwin finally speaks, and when he does his words are a little slurred. What a lightweight! "Oh these? Thanks. We bought 'em soon as we touched down on Shaddai. Like, jewelry's illegal on Asherah." He looks at his bracelet admiringly, only glancing away to look at Jolene.

"Everything's illegal on Asherah," Montour notes as he takes the next shot. "Our boss is Miss Iijima, actually," he adds with a shudder. "She's...well, yeah, hard-ass is the right term. But you gotta see, she's under tremendous pressure. Her dad's on the Board and all. And honestly, you can't pull off what she's attempting without a few sleepless nights."

Baldwin scoffs. "Let's not talk about Iijima. Let's talk about you, Miss Jolene," he says to the lady present--he's blushing now! "Iijima's old and fat and you...you're..." He then takes a vodka shot.

"... not Iijima, ain't that right Mr. Baldwin?" Sliding up to Baldwin, she grabs his shot glass and helps him set it down, with a slight touch between their hands. As she speaks she cannot help herself, a bit motherly concern creeps into her voice, "Easy there, big fella. This stuff will sneak up on you, especially if you're new to it. If this home Asherah is as strict as a revival, you should be good to yourself on this your first time."

Jolene takes this advantage of nearness to pull in close and cup Baldwin's cheek and winks to him, "And nothing spoils a good time by going too fast and crashing early." Looking back to her pals, she drifts the subject and absently love slap Baldwin's cheek breaking contact and shifts to Montour, "Sounds like y'all been harvestin' past sundown, racing against ripeness."

Twirling her finger upon Montour's chest as she leans upon his shoulder, Jolene's face pulls a moue feigning unfairness as she looks up to Montour, "You poor things need to sit a spell and whet your whistle. Why don't you join us again? I'm sure Miss Iijima understands happy workers are faster workers." She smiles, pulls back away, and lightly pokes Montour's chest as if having an idea, "Besides drinkin' is better with good company! Tell us when y'all are next free, and feel free to bring another friend or two." She heads to Binov, leaning into the bar with a hand on his shoulder almost sibling-like, she scans for the barkeep and her mint julep. She looks back briefly to the worker pair with a warm smile, "Now don't that sound like right good fun?"

--- (with that, and hopefully a second get together date, she let's them go) ---
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 06, 2014, 06:05:22 PM
OOC: Oh, I also furiously roll Perception on them both. If I get my body into their personal space I also check (with body touch or eye sight) for the outline of noticeable things, like compads, keycards, pistols, arousal, etc. I also try to assess their comeliness and social savoir faire; how far can Jo-jo wrap either around her finger, and how guilty would she feel about it afterwards (kicking puppies makes Jolene sad).
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 06, 2014, 06:05:57 PM
Binov has been sitting half-turned in his chair to read the news updates and comments out loud, "вот это да, what's with those murders on Shaddai?"

[He mentally notes the D3ad4og concert as a must-do]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 06, 2014, 07:41:17 PM
Montour and Baldwin are similarly plain-looking youths with fair-skin and dark hair, cut very short. Baldwin has a slightly tanner complexion. They have access badges dangling from their lapels--in fact the badge chains jingle when Jolene presses her finger into the men's chests. There are no visible weapons. There seems to be something shaped like a commpad in Montour's jacket pocket--Baldwin likely has the same. These two clearly have no social game, likely due to their restrictive upbringing on this "Asherah" place they refer to.

As Jolene pulls closer, it is clear that Baldwin is completely enamored with her now! Montour, on the other hand, winces subtly and stands up. "Ah, well yes, it has indeed been an eye-opening experience." He places a hand on Baldwin's shoulder protectively. "And I do thank you for the vodka," he says to Aleksandr.

Baldwin looks at his partner pleadingly, and Montour sighs briefly. "We are here for the next few days, so I suppose meeting again would be a nice way to pass the evenings," Montour says.

"I go off-shift at 1900 hours," Baldwin tells Jolene eagerly.

"Not tonight, though," Montour warns Baldwin. "The…thing…is tonight."

"The thing." Baldwin nods. "1900 hours...uh, tomorrow then," he suggests.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 06, 2014, 08:11:42 PM
"A pleasure meeting you gentlemen," Alexsandr says with a smile as he holds up his shot glass in salute.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 06, 2014, 10:34:24 PM
When the two young men are out of ear-shot Binov says to his partners, "I got a funny feeling when he alluded to a 'thing' tonight. Do you think a little clandestine observation and strategically asked questions might yield useful information?"

[I'm basically offering to use my stealth skills and criminal connections to find out what their organization is up to, if anything. That would probably require separating from the from the party for a few hours in the evening.]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 07, 2014, 06:43:48 AM
"Sure thing, sugar. Never hurts to have a new friend. 'Til then!" and tips her julep, if she got it by then, otherwise one of the vodka shot glasses in their direction.

------------------- Wait a solid two minutes or so with idle banter and the whips out her compad for actual work. ------

"Poor babies, and even after I was a shameless hot mess." Miss Rydell puts her compad atop the bar and sits prim, searching immediately about Asherah, any relations to NME interests, the Iijima family, and battery prototype needs. "At least Montour surprised me a bit showing some caution. Figured me for a harlot I reckon; might grow some savvy one day."

In a more conspiratorial volume to Alexsandr & Blinov, "Access badges on lapels, no obvious concealed weapons, possible compad on Montour, and likely assume the same for Baldwin..." Jots notes to further look up any public info on spaceflights into or out of Qetesh this evening. Speaking to her allies without looking up from her research, "Something about time pressure, but what would the religion on Asherah want with all this?"

Stops abruptly, nods curtly to no one in particular, and turns a very serious face to Blinov. "I'm being right rude, getting lost in work again. I think your idea to tap your grapevine is a peach indeed." Back to smiling again, "I just don't want you hurt shadowing 'em, and we got less time than we thought. Alexsandr, got any notions on how to get a handle this?"

OOC: Need a roll for Asherah & NME/Iijima, and spaceflight activity?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 07, 2014, 10:48:35 AM
"I think that doing some recon on this 'thing' tonight is a good idea," Alexsandr says as he pours himself another shot of vodka.

As he holds his glass up he muses, "Jolene is right, though.  There will probably be a black ops tactical team in the vicinity of this is really some clandestine.  We'll have to be careful, Blinov."

He slams the shot of vodka and wipes his chin with a satisfied look.

"Jolene," he continues, "should take the lead on our tail and then break off once we get sniff of where it's going down, and then we should move it to observe."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 07, 2014, 12:14:49 PM
You bring up Asherah on Q-Net, but this info was last updated some time ago. Still, it seems complete. Asherah is an old Mandate world out of the Protectorate's reach. After the Protectorate chased the Concordat Holy Union to another region of space, Asherah came under the Union's rules. As noted by the men, laws are strict. The planet must me hemorrhaging their youth population, as young Asherans like Montour and Baldwin leave all the time to seek new opportunities. Asherah seems to have no interests aligned with NME, so it's likely just that NME's a means of escape for the sheltered lads.
(OOC: I don't necessarily want to say they're Space-Amish, but…they're Space-Amish but moreso…)

Jolene cross-references the Iijima family name to NME files, and Q-Net provides page after page of NME staff listings through the years, with the Iijima name on all of them. Their connection to NME dates all the way back to the days of Matsuri Zaibatsu, and all members have ended up being high-ranking, if not Board members themselves. Ran Iijima is daughter of current Board member Taito Iijima, so she'd have great expectations placed upon her.

It is 1600 (4pm) now. There is a single flight out of Q-Town tonight, at 1700, bound for capital planet Atlas. The next one is in the morning, 0900 hours, heading for Clio.

(OOC: Rolled for Culture/Asherah and Bureaucracy in the dice room on rolz.org)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 07, 2014, 12:22:57 PM
Unless there is anything further to discuss, Binov slinks off to make discrete inquiries in the underworld (probably with his criminal skill), taking care not to probe too close or shadow anyone personally. This may net less useful information, but he's not up for tangling with knee-breakers yet. He's wiling to spend a few credits to loosen tongues, and if any really dicey choice comes up he'll contemplate using 1 psi point (but no more than 1) to precognitively assess it.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 07, 2014, 06:35:20 PM
"Hmm, just may be natural big city lights drawing in the youngins from Asherah... NME and the Iijima family don't seem to tie in much with that land."

Quote from: Mr. Kent;747416
It is 1600 (4pm) now. There is a single flight out of Q-Town tonight, at 1700, bound for capital planet Atlas. The next one is in the morning, 0900 hours, heading for Clio.

"The Atlas departure time's running as short as a mayfly thinking about shopping for new shoes, so I doubt Atlas being a lead. I'm gonna research anything about Clio relating to our topics; that's at 0900 hours." A worrying pinch is drawing on Jolene's face as she's rushing to isolate NME's Q-Town's facility as the likely spot for what's going down.

"I wonder... if I were to do something hush-hush on Qetesh, and it had to do with stuff that may blow up (battery tech), where would I go nearby Q-Town and then get it off-world as quick as a wink?" Looks back up to Alexsandr, "And you're gonna have to teach me one of these days how to be a bit more useful when outta the fryin' pan and into the fire. I'll worry about you two out there."

OOC: Likely a blind Culture roll on Clio, or a blind Research roll, GM feel free to secret roll it. Also a Culture/Qetesh roll, a bit more specialized around Q-Town and hiding spots. Also use either science or tech skill if Gm thinks it's necessary, along with knowledge of prototype schematics, to determine what sort of structure would be needed to perform a battery test. A bit of a hail mary pass to ensure there's nothing I'm overlooking nearby.

Culture/Qetesh roll is 2d6+INT+Skill+GM mod. So far, 10+1+0+?.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 08, 2014, 03:43:16 AM
As for testing sites in and around Q-Town, you can't see too many options. The NME office, right near the spaceyard, has a rather large warehouse built next door relatively recently (within the last year or so), though if anything explodes within it would be quite noticeable.

Pulling up the plans for that NME warehouse, Jolene notices that the building's foundation is quite deep--much deeper than surrounding buildings within the domed city. Perhaps it has an off-the-books basement? Battery tests like the one you suspect to be scheduled tonight often require sturdier buildings than warehouses. Late Mandate-Era engineers often used defunct military bunkers for their tests. Something akin to your own Perimeter Base would be ideal, but you can't find anything like that on maps of Q-Town.

You find that Clio is still known in the Protectorate's core worlds as the "Banking Planet", home to the Exchange, a Mandate-Era federation of banks specializing in investments and venture capital. Now that the Protectorate has opened up insterstellar trade markets, new business firms spring up all the time, and they all need funding. Those seeking loans or investments travel to Clio, seek out a Consulate, and are often turned away disappointed.

***

Blinov slinks away to tap into the Qeteshi underworld. As he leaves the Golden Orb, he is passed by the pretty young lady with a briefcase, the one who met with the marine. With her gloved hands, the girl presses the marine's long thin pipe to her lips and tosses Blinov a wink. She blends into the crowd now heading for the spaceyard and is gone.

Seeking out the core of criminality in Q-Town, he finds it centered around the Stumbling Prairie Dog. Jolene was right to dismiss this place as a hellhole--its full of tough customers, even this early in the day. Nia Tran meets Blinov there, a former-street urchin acquaintance who fled Shaddai when other youths were being rounded up or sent to Waldo. Nia and Blinov were two of the lucky ones. She shrugs--NME's just a bunch of corporate tools to her, disgustingly bloated on their own wealth but harmless in the long run. Their local office isn't even open all the time (you realize this is likely due to the rotating supervisor position).

"I swear, Blinov--if there's any danger to Qetesh it isn't NME," she scoffs. "It’s the inter-dome hostilities bubbling up. Like, did you even know that those inbred elitists in Jessup want their own spaceyard to rival Q-Town's?" She shakes her head. "To add insult to injury, they're even hosting the D3ad4og concert, even though their amphitheater isn't half as nice as ours! Bastards."

The muscle-bound and tattooed bartender might know more specific info but expects nice tips in measures of 20 credits, depending on the quality of intel desired.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 08, 2014, 05:52:15 AM
Looking up open-eyed from her research, "Did the good doctor patent his prototype already? They'll be setting up to fly the prototype to Clio bankers right after. Or better yet have Clio reps here right now witnessing these test results.

"And NME's warehouse is next to the spaceport, with a strangely deep foundation — I bet they have a research basement!" She catches her ejaculation after 'I bet' and tightens it into a trailing whisper. A strand of her bleached hair falls over an eye, and she doesn't even seem to notice.

OOC: Making a Bureaucracy roll for how Clio bankers would handle this. Send a rep to witness, or expect delivery? Will make a second or third Bureaucracy check for whether Dr. Nadir properly patent his prototype, and any relevant business gossip out of Clio (where they see new battery tech futures).

"Alexsandr, I'm gonna go wander town then wait at the diner for a late supper (2300 hrs) and linger for a slice of pie and coffee. Here's so far my best guess at where'll be the 'church social.'" She starts to share the screen of her compad to Alexsandr, pointing out what she has so far gleaned. "I'm gonna leave you two to do your own thing, but you best keep in contact lest I eat all their damn pie and inflate my ass to the size of another Qetesh dome."

"Wish you and Blinov had compads, too. But my pappy and his brothers hated the darn things. Kept thinking it was a leash checkin' up on their doin's."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 08, 2014, 07:02:52 AM
Blinov slides 20 credits to the bartender, reluctant to spend more; he needs to save his pennies if he wants to scalp his way into the D3ad4og concert the 'honest' way.

As he sips his Red Exile soda (molecular-enhanced artificial cherry flavor!) and listens to the info he decides it's high time he purchased a new compad to replace the one he dropped in the toilet. He'll pick one up on the way back to the party.

[I'll make the subtractions to my character sheet for the bribe and the compad]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 08, 2014, 11:39:43 AM
"Alright," Alexsandr says to Jolene as he pours one last shot of vodka, "I will meet you at the diner.  I am going to go and visually inspect the spaceport and warehouse."

He slams down the last shot and pays the bartender for the bottle of vodka.  He takes the bottle with him as he leaves the Golden Orb.  He is going to and stroll around the spaceport to get a mental layout of the complex and also see the NME warehouse and any associated buildings.  

===================================

OOC:  How much does he owe for the bottle of vodka?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 08, 2014, 01:40:29 PM
Blinov:

Ugh--that sour taste returns to your mouth briefly as the nano-taste-activator from the NovaStar interacts with the Red Exile. Your taste buds are going crazy! Thankfully, the effect is brief, and the rest of the can tastes just like smooth cherry.

The butch bartender snorts. "Secrets are found in the ground, kid," she grunts. "Nutrient-rich soil ain't the only thing Qetesh has to offer!"

She leans in closer. "A buncha local boys took jobs working for Newsun-Matsuri some weeks back. They weren't 'sposed to say nuthin' to non-employees, but they said their bosses took 'em deep down under, into the caves. You know there's a whole spiderweb o' caves down 'neath Qetesh's crust, eh? Was gonna ask 'em what they were workin' on, but--don'tcha know it! Them boys gone and disappeared."

She holds out her massive hand with a spider tattooed on the back. She holds it straight, and gradually begins to tremble. "Ev'ry once in a while you can hear a rumblin'. Most folks reckon its from the spaceyard, but I don't think so. It's a grumblin' in the ground. Sound like machines--big'uns. It's only gotten worse since that new NME lady got to town."

When you turn around you see that Nia has left in a hurry.

Jolene:

The bartender looks over briefly when he hears your outburst, but then turns to Aleksandr to settle up.

Consulates on Clio are generally quite proud, and also lazy. They are more likely to make finance-seekers come to them to beg for credits. However, if the investment opportunity is deemed important enough, they may send a representative to the site for a meeting. From the latest buzz, energy futures are up-up-up! You'd assume Clio would be eager to get into bed with NME, unless whatever they're up to is particularly risky.

The patent file for Nadir's x-cell battery is found in the public records, copies of those held up-to-date on Atlas.

Aleksandr:

The barman twirls his mustache. "Vodka is eight credits…normally," he says staunchly, then softens. "Well, what can I say--seeing you introduce those young pups to the wonders of vodka did my old heart good. We'll make it half-price today! Only five credits!" He begins to smile magnanimously.

The spaceyard and warehouse are luckily nearby, swarming with Protectorate cops of course. By the entrance looks like a familiar face--Spanner, the Agency's personal mechanic. In his hand he's got a bottle of his own, though you can't tell its contents from this distance.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 08, 2014, 02:21:53 PM
OOC: This is the part of our adventure where I faff. /gets up and dances like in a German Discotek.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 08, 2014, 03:45:07 PM
(OOC: Oontz oontz oontz

Jolene:

As you faff your way to Dolly Q's diner you take in the familiar sights and sounds of fellow Qeteshi natives. Men young and old alike sporting buzzed haircuts and farmers tans rev the engines on their pickups in Dolly's parking lot. They're fresh from the hydroponic farms outside Q-Town, which are dirty and slapdash things compared to Jessup's grand plantations.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 08, 2014, 06:51:56 PM
Blinov leaves in as much of a hurry as Nia, wondering whether she sensed danger or if she's been paid to spread misinformation that downplays NME (Heh, "en-em-y").

In a nicer part of town he stops to pick up a compad and quickly relay his findings to Jolene. He also takes the opportunity to download the audiobook version of The Girl Who Was a Butterfly Knife for the trip back to HQ.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 08, 2014, 08:40:54 PM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;747806
The spaceyard and warehouse are luckily nearby, swarming with Protectorate cops of course. By the entrance looks like a familiar face--Spanner, the Agency's personal mechanic. In his hand he's got a bottle of his own, though you can't tell its contents from this distance.


Alexsandr walks over to Spanner and says, "tovarisch!  What are you doing here?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 09, 2014, 07:31:02 AM
{As sexy as all get out, and just as I remember.} Jolene draws a wry smile. {A cheap thrill sometimes lingers too long, and that means I better watch how much pie I eat, too.} Looking for any familiar faces, she saunters up and takes in the scene like a sepia tinged memory. But she's barely over 20...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 09, 2014, 12:00:32 PM
Blinov:
The Girl Who Was a Butterfly Knife got decent reviews! Part of Stils Narffsen's "The Girl" series, it was the third book of six, the sequel to The Girl Who Played by Ear and followed up by The Girl Who Broke the Sound Barrier. It's rumored that the series' twisting tales of sex, murder, and interplanetary intrigue were based on the author's life as a merc before the rise of the Protectorate, but the reclusive Narffsen's never confirmed such things.

Jolene:
As you scan for familiar faces, your compad blips, receiving Blinov's intel from the Prairie Dog's bartender. Caverns and rumblings beneath the ground. Local boys signing up with NME and vanishing.

As you look up, a wide white smile greets you--it looks even brighter considering the young man's dirt-smeared cheeks and stubbly chin. "Jo-jo," he greets, and his blue eyes light up. You haven't seen Gordy Shane since he was 16, when his family moved to Raleigh, a dome on the far side of Qetesh. He must be 20 now, you reckon. He must've had a hell of a growth spurt since 16, because he's towering over you.

"How've you been?" Gordy asks excitedly. "Every time I get back to Q-Town you're not around. Are you living in a hole or something?" he chuckles.

Aleksandr:
Spanner looks up at you, startled. "U-uh, Commander! Hi!" he stammers. He always treats you with respect, but it's clear that speaking to Protectorate forces, especially marines, even retired ones, makes the prison tattoo on the back of his neck burn. "I was fueling up the ship after I got back from Adonis. It's over in the spaceyard--I think it's ready now, but I got a bit distracted."

He raises the long, thin green bottle up to you. "It's some alien wine--I got it at the Xeno-Market. You know how Adonis is crazy for anything non-human!" The open bottle emits a sweet flowery fragrance, unlike any alcohol you've encountered. It smells like perfume.

"Oh! And I found a few other things at the Xeno-Market. Like, little alien doodads, I figure you all could check it out in the lab when we get back to HQ. Speaking of, why are you in town again? Are the others back home?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 09, 2014, 01:52:29 PM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;748089

Spanner looks up at you, startled. "U-uh, Commander! Hi!" he stammers. He always treats you with respect, but it's clear that speaking to Protectorate forces, especially marines, even retired ones, makes the prison tattoo on the back of his neck burn. "I was fueling up the ship after I got back from Adonis. It's over in the spaceyard--I think it's ready now, but I got a bit distracted."

He raises the long, thin green bottle up to you. "It's some alien wine--I got it at the Xeno-Market. You know how Adonis is crazy for anything non-human!" The open bottle emits a sweet flowery fragrance, unlike any alcohol you've encountered. It smells like perfume.

"Oh! And I found a few other things at the Xeno-Market. Like, little alien doodads, I figure you all could check it out in the lab when we get back to HQ. Speaking of, why are you in town again? Are the others back home?"


Alexsandr greets him warmly and says casually, "Jolene, Blinov, and I are on some business for Dr. Nadir.  The others are back home.  What got you distracted?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 09, 2014, 03:27:59 PM
Aleksandr:
"A job offer, actually," Spanner explains. "Ever transport wild animals before? Cuz this old guy in the lobby says he has specimens to ship to the Bioethics Institute on Cradle, but can't find anyone to take the job." He sighs and takes a swig of the liquor, but coughs it up and caps the bottle.

"Ooh, so what's this assignment you're on? Supply run? Because the Scrap Shop will close early tonight, the sign said..."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 09, 2014, 05:51:09 PM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;748147
"A job offer, actually," Spanner explains. "Ever transport wild animals before? Cuz this old guy in the lobby says he has specimens to ship to the Bioethics Institute on Cradle, but can't find anyone to take the job." He sighs and takes a swig of the liquor, but coughs it up and caps the bottle.

"Ooh, so what's this assignment you're on? Supply run? Because the Scrap Shop will close early tonight, the sign said..."


Alexsandr takes a swig off his bottle of vodka and shakes his head negatively as he says, "Nyet, we've got a meeting with a NME suit about a contract that Dr. Nadir has with NME.  Nothing exciting, really.  What did the sign say at the Scrap Shop?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 10, 2014, 01:01:03 AM
Aleksandr:
"Ah, it said 'Shop will close at 1800'. Isn't it almost 1800 now?" Spanner drops to one knee and slides the alien wine into his backpack cautiously while speaking to you. "Oh, looky there," he says to you as he rises, pointing over your shoulder. Behind you a truck with a short flatbed has emerged from the spaceyard's main gate. The truck, and the two identical trucks behind it, turn and move down the block to the large NME warehouse. The cargo on each flatbed is shrouded and strapped down.

"Some shipment there," Spanner notes. "They had like, what? Four or five truckloads earlier today? Can that warehouse even hold it all?"

The trucks enter one at a time, and after each enters there is a long pause, and the next goes in. It is a long while before the trucks emerge without cargo. A pair of figures stand ominously by the loading doors and watch the trucks move in and out. They're too far off and turned around to really tell what they look like. Their silhouettes are almost comically opposite--one rather rotund, the other spindly. In addition to these figures, NME's private security seems to be present as well.

Jolene:
Gordy Shane offers to keep you company whilst waiting in Dolly Q's (it'll be a while until the meeting). "How 'bout it, Jo-Jo?" he asks sweetly.

Blinov:
The nice part of Q-Town is getting busier as the evening wears on. Shall you wander or head to the diner?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 10, 2014, 06:45:57 AM
"Why Gordy Shane, I almost didn't recognize you with your face all up in the sky! Has it been that long?" Jolene shades her eyes from the light as she looks up into Gordy's face, an affectation likely, due to the time of day, but one conveying affection amid disbelief.

"Well don't you just stand there, come give me a hug!" Opens her arms wide to receive a long lost friend and hops with one leg kicked up into his arms for a spin. As he puts her back down, "Just like old times, except you still stay tall now once you rest me back to earth. Wherever did time go?"

"Me and mine been doin' best we can, as usual. Billy Dee decided on visiting some old friends with a little reckless endangerment and backtalk. Harmless kid stuff really, but lord help us he learn nothin' much more on Wally World." Looks downcast as she saunters side by side with Gordon, "I been mindin' kin best I can like before, workin' here and there to send ree-mittances. But those boys have too much of each other and their cousins than can be good for 'em."

Closing in on the diner, passing a few couples in cars being as discreet as can be with fogging windows, "Idle hands is all, which'll likely need a woman's touch to set to rights. A little courtin' to simmer down now, and an earful with some chores to tucker 'em out."

Turns her head to Gordy Shane and leans a quick elbow into her friend's side like old times, "Speakin of tuckered, see yourself picked up a tan like a proper farmer. Got the homestead and little lady like you always wanted? I could use a story with a happy ending 'bout now, to keep my mind offa things — like too much of Dolly's sweet cherry pie, Lord help me!" With a smile and laugh she heads on through the diner's doors with a pleasant haunt from her past.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 10, 2014, 07:23:47 AM
Blinov heads for the diner. Time to reunite this party and make sure Jojo doesn't receive a pinball machine to the head like last time.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 10, 2014, 05:39:53 PM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;748247
Aleksandr:
"Ah, it said 'Shop will close at 1800'. Isn't it almost 1800 now?" Spanner drops to one knee and slides the alien wine into his backpack cautiously while speaking to you. "Oh, looky there," he says to you as he rises, pointing over your shoulder. Behind you a truck with a short flatbed has emerged from the spaceyard's main gate. The truck, and the two identical trucks behind it, turn and move down the block to the large NME warehouse. The cargo on each flatbed is shrouded and strapped down.

"Some shipment there," Spanner notes. "They had like, what? Four or five truckloads earlier today? Can that warehouse even hold it all?"

The trucks enter one at a time, and after each enters there is a long pause, and the next goes in. It is a long while before the trucks emerge without cargo. A pair of figures stand ominously by the loading doors and watch the trucks move in and out. They're too far off and turned around to really tell what they look like. Their silhouettes are almost comically opposite--one rather rotund, the other spindly. In addition to these figures, NME's private security seems to be present as well.


Alexsandr takes a swig off the bottle of vodka and casually passes it to Spanner as he says, "nyet, I don't think that warehouse is that big... above ground, that is.  That sure is a lot of security for a normal shipment of goods, don't you think?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 10, 2014, 11:28:51 PM
Aleksandr:
Spanner squints. "Hmm. Yeah, that many guards in once place can't be a small thing." He leads you over to the public benches in front of the spaceyard gates. He faces you, with his back to the scene, so you can watch the workers over his shoulder.

Over a long while, you see all the trucks eventually leave, emptied of their mystery cargo, and the two overseers vanish into the warehouse.

After a few hours, employees emerge, and the skinny and round figures begin to walk closer. They approach the spaceyard gates, heading right towards you, but then veer off and end up entering the Golden Orb down the street.

You get a better look at them. The round one is an Asian woman with a bowl-cut hairdo, fanning herself vigorously. She wears the signature navy blue uniform with neon yellow trim that all NME employees wear, but hers is cut more like a business suit to signify her higher status.

The second skinner figure is a tall and delicate-looking man with chalk white skin and short brown hair. He looks utterly human, except for the toy-like yellow lights blinking in his eye-sockets. A grisly-looking scar runs horizontally across his face, around his eye-sockets and over the bridge of his nose.

As more employees leave, two familiar faces appear as well: Montour and Baldwin. They are heading back to the Orb, and if they take the same trajectory as the others they will likely see you.

Jolene:
Gordy whiles away the hours with you reminiscing until the meeting time approaches. He has no significant other, since you asked--farmwork keeps him busy. He's staying in Q-Town tonight, and in the morning he'll head to Clio to seek a subsidy.

"It takes a lot to keep the hydroponics up and running," he sighs. "The generator power is getting' so expensive, it's come down to us asking for financial aid." He shakes his head. He can't stay long, but bids you adieu and prepares to leave.

Blinov:
You arrive at Dolly Q's close to the meeting time, and see by a young farmer about to leave Jolene's table. He nods courteously.

Dolly Q herself beams widely as you enter. "Hello," she coos, recognizing you from before. She waves genially, ruffling her gray feathers, and her round gray eyes twinkle in her otherwise humanlike face. She is unlike any Qotah you've ever heard of, gentle and approachable, seemingly pacifistic to a fault. She speaks little of her former flock, apparently considering her employees and customers as her new family.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 11, 2014, 10:25:46 AM
Alexsandr says to Spanner, "I'm going to head over to the Golden Orb.  Would you join me?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 11, 2014, 11:11:14 AM
Spanner nods dutifully. "Sure thing, Commander," he responds, clearly uncomfortable calling you anything less formal." He follows you to the Orb...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 12, 2014, 03:13:28 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;748442

Jolene:
Gordy whiles away the hours with you reminiscing until the meeting time approaches. He has no significant other, since you asked--farmwork keeps him busy. He's staying in Q-Town tonight, and in the morning he'll head to Clio to seek a subsidy.

"It takes a lot to keep the hydroponics up and running," he sighs. "The generator power is getting' so expensive, it's come down to us asking for financial aid." He shakes his head. He can't stay long, but bids you adieu and prepares to leave.


OOC: During the conversation I express sympathy about the power situation, and milk a little bit more out if this is a common state for other farmers elsewhere on Qetesh. After he leaves I'll make a compad note to check the rest of the domes on the Qetesh for similar energy needs. Also check the viability of the prototype battery to solve their hydroponic energy needs, possibly with accessible solar generation.

I'll give him any bureaucratic advice that I can before he heads off to Clio, as I just researched it and have the skill, maybe it will keep him well. I also ask when he returns, and make the warm gesture for a meal and a friendly face after long distance travel. I'll try to not give him any false hopes, as I still need to stay sharp for work, so I try to keep it platonic.

Waves to Blinov after he enters, to catch his eye and flag which table she's at. {I will let him approach on his own time. Perhaps he has some catching up to do with acquaintances, and I could use a moment myself.} Busies herself with a sweet tea and absently let's her eye travel among the patrons, in and outside.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 12, 2014, 08:22:34 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;748442

You arrive at Dolly Q's close to the meeting time, and see by a young farmer about to leave Jolene's table. He nods courteously.

Dolly Q herself beams widely as you enter. "Hello," she coos, recognizing you from before. She waves genially, ruffling her gray feathers, and her round gray eyes twinkle in her otherwise humanlike face. She is unlike any Qotah you've ever heard of, gentle and approachable, seemingly pacifistic to a fault. She speaks little of her former flock, apparently considering her employees and customers as her new family.


"Hey Dolly, how's your Q*Bert 4D score holding up?" asks Blinov, nodding at the vintage holographic arcade table sparking-as-new in the corner of the diner. "Better stay sharp, I see some young hawks rising up the virtual scoreboard on Shaddai."

After the small talk [you can insert, Mr. Kent] he heads over to Jojo's table to order a bucket of fries and get the info-update.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 12, 2014, 09:56:08 AM
Once Spanner and Alexsandr arrive at the Golden Orb he tries to find a table that has a good view of the whole room and sits down.  He orders some food and a beer.  He tries to casually observe any of the NME personnel that are there and he is specifically trying to observe the NME woman in the suit.  He will try to hide his observation behind eating and conversation with Spanner.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 12, 2014, 12:23:57 PM
Jolene:
According to the latest Qeteshi Energy Survey (compiled by the Qeteshi governor's agriculture expert), most of the generators supplying power to the farms are deteriorating Mandate tech, which has grown inefficient over the years. Q-Town region farms consume a lot of energy, but large Jessup plantations' costs are through the roof (er, dome)! It is clear to you that Qeteshi energy-use is a concern that has steadily increased over the years for the dozen domes on the planet.

Newsun-Matsuri has recently seized on this need, offering to partner with the Qeteshi government for energy solutions. Solar energy might be a viable solution, but Qetesh is only legally allowed to obtain solar-power through NME, and the corporation definitely neglects that line of business in order to sell their big industrial power systems.

The Titan Protectorate, while constantly expanding their military force on the core worlds, is loath to intervene with business matters, even with planetary governments involved, so long as said matters do not interfere with Protectorate security measures. Thus, NME seems to have a bit of an energy monopoly on this planet, possibly others.

As its getting quite late, Dolly's diner is very empty. Even though the place is open until midnight, the hard-working farmfolk are likely off to bed by now. As Gordy leaves, so do the gang of farmhands from outside. They had entered boisterously, ordered small meals, then jumped back in their trucks and sped off to their simple homes for a good night's rest.

Blinov:
Dolly Q flexes her fingers. "Ooh! I'd better practice then--thanks for the heads-up, Blinov!" After you order your fries, Dolly hastily fixes them up and brings them out.

Aleksandr:
The table in the farthest corner supplies a nice wide view of the bar, and of course the double doors into the lobby are still wide open, granting a good view of the main lobby staircase.

"Swank," Spanner says, looking at the Orb's decor in awe.

You see Montour and Baldwin retire upstairs with several other NME workers. The suit woman tries to entice the golden-eyed man (?) to spend more time with her, but he is utterly aloof, and walks upstairs. Distraught, the woman frowns (does she even have another expression?) then heads for the bar. She orders something cold, and continues to fan herself.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 12, 2014, 01:14:47 PM
"Do you happen to have a Comm-Pad?" Alexsandr asks Spanner.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 12, 2014, 01:55:03 PM
"Compad? Oh! Yeah...just a sec..." The young man digs furiously into his backpack. It takes him a bit to find it, but when he does he slides it gently across the table.

(OOC: Spanner basically has zero readied items, besides his backpak ;))
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 12, 2014, 01:58:54 PM
"Thanks," Alexsandr says with a smile.

He then does a search on Ran Iijima and tries to find any current images of her.  Once he's done with his search he deletes it from the Comm-Pad.  

================================

OOC:  Assuming he finds an image of her, is the woman at the bar Ran Iijima?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 12, 2014, 06:19:58 PM
"So Jojo," mumbles Blinov between ketchup slathered fries. "Based on our info so far, what do you think our next move is? I'm having trouble seeing how any of this is going to turn into profit rather than pain, and I've got concert tickets to pay for."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 12, 2014, 09:41:21 PM
Aleksandr:
Upon a thorough image search of NME public news, you can verify that this is indeed the roving supervisor, Ran Iijima. She has the exact same expression in her photo as she does sitting at the bar right before you.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/OhSiris/SWNRanIijima.png)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 12, 2014, 10:36:15 PM
[I really like these portraits Mr. Kent.]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 12, 2014, 11:13:11 PM
[Thank you! :D I have several prepped and on hand but this one I had to whip up special today]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 13, 2014, 09:11:04 AM
Quote from: Shipyard Locked;748891
"So Jojo," mumbles Blinov between ketchup slathered fries. "Based on our info so far, what do you think our next move is? I'm having trouble seeing how any of this is going to turn into profit rather than pain, and I've got concert tickets to pay for."

Jolene pulls her gaze from the emptying parking lot to Blinov and looks at him with a tired expressionless face, then returns to gazing at the lot. "I honestly don't know. NME has this world buttered like a biscuit with its stranglehold on energy needs. Small time generation is under their license, and ignored instead for their big time generators. And Titan don't care as long as things look nice and quiet like."

"Just saw an old friend today, and if he's any indication the little farmer doesn't stand a chance in the face of Clio bankers, NME energy neglect, and Titan Protectorate pacifying." Stirs the ice in her sweet tea absently, staring at the dissipating cars like it means something deeper. "Even if we can peek at what they think the future holds, it won't add up to a hill of beans for my home world. And to sell direct is to meddle with the big boys' interests, who can't deal with the coming built-in unrest, but sure as heck can sweep us away from making things better."

"I always dreamed of an honest livin' in a time of peace. But dreams don't put food on the table -- or tickets for that matter." Her eyes look uncomfortably older than her years as she returns her resigned gaze to Blinov. "Alexsandr may bring better options yet. But just in case, have you ever survived a still run?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 13, 2014, 12:24:44 PM
Quote from: Opaopajr;749005
But just in case, have you ever survived a still run?"


Blinov raises an eyebrow and lowers his voice. "Whoa, hey, where are you going with this?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 13, 2014, 07:04:12 PM
Quote from: Shipyard Locked;749052
Blinov raises an eyebrow and lowers his voice. "Whoa, hey, where are you going with this?"


"You know when you sense a'trouble brewin? Let's just say NME and friends can only hold so many cards in hand before someone flips the table." Jolene punctuates that with a sip of her tea. {If they runnin off from payin the good doctor it's either they won't cuz they can, meanin they're too big to care, or they don't cuz they can't, meanin there's even bigger trouble than 'em.}
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 13, 2014, 10:31:56 PM
Quote from: Opaopajr;749180
"You know when you sense a'trouble brewin? Let's just say NME and friends can only hold so many cards in hand before someone flips the table." Jolene punctuates that with a sip of her tea. {If they runnin off from payin the good doctor it's either they won't cuz they can, meanin they're too big to care, or they don't cuz they can't, meanin there's even bigger trouble than 'em.}

Blinov thinks about that, then pulls a random precog flashcard from his back pocket and flops it on the table. It's a black star. He makes a *tsk* sound and winces.

"Outlook grim. Not hopeless, but probably not profitable enough to justify what we're getting ourselves into. If I were still a street rat I'd be scarpering. Oh well."

He leaves the card on the table and sits back. "Wish Aleksandr were here. I've got a bad precog buzz about him, like he's about to get in over his head."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 14, 2014, 02:35:12 PM
Alexsandr says to Spanner, "this a lucky break, tovarisch.  The NME Suit that I came to speak with is sitting at the bar right over there.  I am going to ask her to join us for a drink.  Please excuse me."

He gets up and walks over to the bar and Ran Iijima and says with his best attempt at a charming smile, "excuse me, Miss.  It would a pleasure if you would join my friend and I at our table for a drink and conversation.  Would you please join us?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 14, 2014, 05:09:54 PM
"Well I can't see him doing something too reckless. A soldier who gave and took orders? I mean imagine him trying to seduce that fat, old Iijima now." Jolene laughs with the straw between her teeth, like a gossipy teen girl.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 14, 2014, 06:44:24 PM
Blinov chuckles. "Oh damn, why did you have to plant that image in my head? I can see it clear as a hologram sitcom now, her inspecting him with a raised eyebrow and saying something like... [Mr. Kent's next post]"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 15, 2014, 11:22:26 AM
"Oh my," Iijima purrs, momentarily pausing her fanning. She slides off the tall bar stool and her perma-frown temporarily vanishes. "Is this Qeteshi hospitality? Because I like it. Sure I'll join you..."

She walks with Aleksandr back to the table and gives Spanner a curt nod--almost dismissive, as if he's a small fish to be thrown back. Aleksandr, on the other hand, has her full attention.

"You are locals, yes?" she asks.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 15, 2014, 02:14:12 PM
After Alexsandr orders everyone a drink, he smiles genuinely and says with a chucke, "Da, you could say that we're locals now.  I am originally from Shaddi myself but have been here on Qeteshi for some time.  Although, I must admit that I am still not used to the heat here.  Thanks goodness for air-cooling technologies."

Falling into casual conversation, he asks her, "so I take you are not from here yourself.  Where are you from originally?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 16, 2014, 02:18:05 AM
Aleksandr:
"Shaddai? What a...vibrant planet," Iijima replies with barely concealed revulsion.

"Oh, you're astute though--no, I am not from Qetesh. I'm from Kazo, originally," she explains, and says her homeworld's name with a wistful cadence. "Kah-zohh. Nothing compares to the glacial beauty of Kazo's Forbidden City! But, alas, I am on important assignment on this little farm world." She scoffs, and continues to sip the iced drink she brought with her from the bar.

"What brings you to Qetesh from Shaddai mister--Oh! My manners must have left me again," she laments. "I am Ran Iijima, of Newsun-Matsuri Energy Concern. And whom do I have the pleasure of speaking with?"

At this she gives Spanner the slightest of nods, mainly focusing on Aleksandr.

Jolene and Blinov:
As Dolly Q's approaches closing time, Dolly cranks up the volume on the "jukebox", which is in fact a small bucket-shaped robot that strolls around the diner while Dolly cleans up.

It plays some oldies, songs from as long ago as 3155, written and recorded in the early days of the Reformation, when the Mandate ceased to be and the Protectorate gathered the Core Worlds under its rule.

"That Sammy Sinestra was a real crooner," Dolly chirps to you two, her last customers. "Ba-da-bee-da-beeee!" she sings along shamelessly.

"What sort of music do you young'ins listen to these days?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 16, 2014, 06:28:12 AM
"I'm into everything," says Blinov smugly. "Broader tastes leads to deeper understanding leads to better appreciation of worthwhile music."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 16, 2014, 11:34:06 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;749755
Aleksandr:
"Shaddai? What a...vibrant planet," Iijima replies with barely concealed revulsion.

"Oh, you're astute though--no, I am not from Qetesh. I'm from Kazo, originally," she explains, and says her homeworld's name with a wistful cadence. "Kah-zohh. Nothing compares to the glacial beauty of Kazo's Forbidden City! But, alas, I am on important assignment on this little farm world." She scoffs, and continues to sip the iced drink she brought with her from the bar.

"What brings you to Qetesh from Shaddai mister--Oh! My manners must have left me again," she laments. "I am Ran Iijima, of Newsun-Matsuri Energy Concern. And whom do I have the pleasure of speaking with?"

At this she gives Spanner the slightest of nods, mainly focusing on Aleksandr.


"прости меня," Alexsandr says sheepishly, "I am Commander Aleksandr Turov, Retired.  My friend and companion here is Spanner.  We work for Dr. Nagesh Nadir and the Perimeter Agency."

He smiles as he says, "it's a pleasure to meet you as well."

A surprised look of recognition crosses his face and he chuckles casually as he continues, "well, this is a fortuitous meeting.  I came into town today to request a meeting with you on the behalf of Dr. Nagesh.  What a small world, indeed."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 16, 2014, 12:38:24 PM
Aleksandr:
"Nagesh Nadir?" Iijima says with surprise. "Oh, myyy. How is the good doctor? Where does he hang his hat these days?" She takes a long sip of her drink while looking at Aleksandr. "I haven't seen him since he signed--"

"Oh. You must be here about the termination of his contract. I hope he's not sore about that, but progress is progress..." Her brow creases.

Spanner slumps in his seat and sighs.

Blinov:
Dolly Q smiles at your response. "Yes, that's quite a mature viewpoint! There's some strange stuff out there though, dontcha think?"

"Like there's this girl, comes in here about every other day--named Nia. She's into this wild churn-drop stuff. Sounds like a rocket blasting off mixed with a...a toilet or something. She's psyched to go to this concert. DeadPig, I think!" Dolly laughs, and her feathers shake.

"That DeadPig concert's coming up real soon, but Nia compained that its all the way in Jessup. Those Jessupfolk try to take all they can from Q-Town!"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 16, 2014, 01:40:24 PM
Blinov smiles and nods indulgently. No point in putting in his two cents about churn-drop - it's too wild to be proselytized, especially to oldsters.

"I'm acquainted with Nia. I'm a little worried about her actually. What's your read on her when she comes in here? Some kind of trouble?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 16, 2014, 04:03:40 PM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;749819

"Nagesh Nadir?" Iijima says with surprise. "Oh, myyy. How is the good doctor? Where does he hang his hat these days?" She takes a long sip of her drink while looking at Aleksandr. "I haven't seen him since he signed--"

"Oh. You must be here about the termination of his contract. I hope he's not sore about that, but progress is progress..." Her brow creases.

Spanner slumps in his seat and sighs.


Alexsandr continues the conversation casually with an easy smile and tone, "Dr. Nadir is doing as well as possible for a man of his age and condition, as you might well expect.  He's a little disappointed but he's not sore about the termination of the contract.  The nature of big business and all."

He takes a sip from his drink and continues without pause, "actually I came to see you about a minor accounting error in regards to the termination of his contract.  According to Dr. Nadir's records and contract it appears that he is still owed the rest of this month's royalties, which is 2,500 Credits.  I hoping to speak to you about it and get funds transferred and settled as soon as possible."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 17, 2014, 05:56:59 PM
Blinov and Jolene:
"Nia? Trouble? I'd wish she'd send some of her troubles my way!" Dolly laughs. "Only concern Nia Tran's got is how to spend her massive amount of credits--she's always flush. But then again, 'mo' credits, mo complications',  as the ancient Terran proverb goes!"

Dolly then lowers her voice into a conspiratorial tone, despite the fact that she, Blinov, and Jolene are the only folks in the place. "I can't fathom where she gets it. Girl's been darn near broke most of the time I've known her…"

Dolly turns to Jolene. "Speaking of broke, saw you speaking to poor Gordy Shane," she says, saddened. "I hope he gets what he needs from the banks on Clio, else that farm just might go under!"

Aleksandr:
"Accounting? Oh. Well, that is unfortunate!" Her forehead creases even further! "However, our numbers man, Numen, is upstairs for the night, recharging his batteries…er, so to speak."

She presses a finger to her lips. "Is there any way we can postpone this business until tomorrow?" she asks you. With her hesitant posture, she'll need some persuading to part with any credits this evening.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 17, 2014, 06:09:32 PM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;749985

"Accounting? Oh. Well, that is unfortunate!" Her forehead creases even further! "However, our numbers man, Numen, is upstairs for the night, recharging his batteries…er, so to speak."

She presses a finger to her lips. "Is there any way we can postpone this business until tomorrow?" she asks you. With her hesitant posture, she'll need some persuading to part with any credits this evening.


Alexsandr smiles wide and says happily, "yes, of course, now is not the time for business.  Let's have another drink and some pleasant conversation.  This little matter can be settled tomorrow of course."

He then gets the bartender's attention and orders another rounds of drinks for the table before returning to the conversation.

"I have traveled to many places during my service in the Navy," he says casually, "but I have never seen  Kazo's Forbidden City.  Please, you must tell me about it."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 17, 2014, 06:37:47 PM
Aleksandr:
Spanner smacks his lips, eager for another drink. The taste of that alien stuff lingers, and not in a good way…

Iijima seems delighted and relieved to change the subject from money. "Ah, there's nothing like Kazo's snowswept mountain cities. The Iijima Clan has lived there for ten generations. You've never been? Oh, but you must someday. The planet's outside Protectorate jurisdiction, but our system is close enough to engage in trade, and join the 'cultural conversation' of the Core Worlds." As she speaks, she scans the room with a dismissive look. "You'll find there are many wonderful places outside the Core Worlds' grasp. Dealing with the Protectorate is merely a necessity of our survival…unfortunately."

She then remembers Aleksandr's other question. "The Forbidden City is actually anything but forbidden--now, at least. There was a time where its doors were closed, true. But it is a grand center of learning and…and technological advancement." She grows melancholy speaking of her home, and is suddenly reminded of the unbearable heat. "Bah!" She picks up her delicate fan and takes a deep breath.

"You know, Commander Turov, Newsun-Matsuri is always looking for men such as yourself--experienced, yet surprisingly open-minded!" She nods approvingly. "You could hand-pick your own crew, escort NME as we expand into new worlds, new frontiers. Think about it would you? You wouldn’t be the first Perimeter Agent to cross over to us, you know."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 18, 2014, 06:52:41 PM
Blinov pulls out his compad and starts researching Nia to see if she left any online clues as to where her money's coming from.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 19, 2014, 02:21:34 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;749985
Blinov and Jolene:
Dolly turns to Jolene. "Speaking of broke, saw you speaking to poor Gordy Shane," she says, saddened. "I hope he gets what he needs from the banks on Clio, else that farm just might go under!"


"I hope so too, Dolly. He's too proud to tell an ol' friend like me how hard he has it, so thank you for sharing." Jolene withdraws back into exhausted wistfulness, "No idea how much he needs, no idea how can I help, and no idea how many more like him out there."

Looks at Dolly imploringly, "If you could keep me abreast with the doin's of farmers like him, I'd be much obliged. At some point we on Qetesh need to see ourselves as family, or we'll be all lost and forgotten in the big guy's shuffle for money." Sucks at her teeth a 'tsk', shakes her head while glancing back down at the table before returning attention to the conversation.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 19, 2014, 01:50:49 PM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;749992
Aleksandr:
Spanner smacks his lips, eager for another drink. The taste of that alien stuff lingers, and not in a good way…

Iijima seems delighted and relieved to change the subject from money. "Ah, there's nothing like Kazo's snowswept mountain cities. The Iijima Clan has lived there for ten generations. You've never been? Oh, but you must someday. The planet's outside Protectorate jurisdiction, but our system is close enough to engage in trade, and join the 'cultural conversation' of the Core Worlds." As she speaks, she scans the room with a dismissive look. "You'll find there are many wonderful places outside the Core Worlds' grasp. Dealing with the Protectorate is merely a necessity of our survival…unfortunately."

She then remembers Aleksandr's other question. "The Forbidden City is actually anything but forbidden--now, at least. There was a time where its doors were closed, true. But it is a grand center of learning and…and technological advancement." She grows melancholy speaking of her home, and is suddenly reminded of the unbearable heat. "Bah!" She picks up her delicate fan and takes a deep breath.

"You know, Commander Turov, Newsun-Matsuri is always looking for men such as yourself--experienced, yet surprisingly open-minded!" She nods approvingly. "You could hand-pick your own crew, escort NME as we expand into new worlds, new frontiers. Think about it would you? You wouldn’t be the first Perimeter Agent to cross over to us, you know."


A genuinely surprised look crosses Alexsandr's face as he says, "thank you, that is a tremendous offer.  I give it serious thought and attention."

He raises his glass and takes a drink before deflecting the subject matter, "it is simply a delight to meet someone with such an established familial history.  I am sure that your clan's holding must be exquisite to see.  Will your term here be temporary?"

============================================

OOC:  At this point, Alexsandr is going to continue to engage her in banal conversation.  He's laid out his line as much as he's going to in this encounter, and he's learned a few interesting things as well.  He considers he job here a success and is not going to push it.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 19, 2014, 03:31:42 PM
Aleksandr:
"Ah, yes," Iijima says proudly. "The Iijima's manse is the pride of the planet Kazo!"

"As for my assignment? Well, my term here is…indefinite. When our current project reaches a certain level of development, I may update the Board with our progress, and perhaps I will receive a transfer." She sighs hopefully as she fans herself. "But new assignments arrive all the time. You will learn this if you sign on with us…"

After the conversation, Iijima bids you adieu and retires for the night. By then , the Orb's lounge is quite empty, the lone soul present being the mustached bartender, who doesn't pay much attention to you as he cleans up.

(OOC: Let's timeskip to the meeting at Dolly Q's then. Aleksandr, do you have orders for Spanner? Tag along or otherwise?)
(also, -15 credits total for the rounds of drinks)

Blinov and Jolene:
Nia's online trail is very sparse. You can't seem to find anything that would lead you to her source of income.

(-5 credits each for the food)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 19, 2014, 03:48:31 PM
Once Iijima leaves and Spanner and Alexsandr are alone, he asks him, "do you know who or what she was talking about when she mentioned that I wouldn't be 'the Perimeter Agent to cross over' to NME?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 19, 2014, 04:19:21 PM
Spanner scratches his chin. "Huh. I think that was long before my time," he says slowly. "Like, back in '86, when the Agency discovered that Ushan ship on Cradle--well I've seen the pics from back then. At the time Nadir had a whole bunch of agents who musta left him at some point. I don't know who went to NME specifically, but it's not surprising. I don't doubt that some left for government work, too. People always lookin' for opportunities, I guess."

"We can take a look at the old rosters when we get home, if you're curious. Modia holds the access to personnel files. In fact, I gotta speak with her anyway--I got some new planetary data for the Orrery!" He adds this last bit with enthusiasm.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 19, 2014, 08:08:00 PM
[Holding tight until Aleksandr gets to Dolly Q's.]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 20, 2014, 12:08:12 PM
Alexsandr nods affirmatively to Spanner and says, "would you please ask her when you get back?  I have to meet up with Blinov and Jolene now.  Please inform Dr. Nadir that I will check in with him tomorrow."

Alexsandr gives Spanner the rest of the bottle of vodka that he bought earlier in the day when they part ways.  He will then head over to Dolly Q's to meet up with Blinov and Jolene.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 20, 2014, 12:52:21 PM
Spanner's eyes light up and he eagerly packs the vodka into his backpack. "Good stuff--thanks! Yeah, I'll ask Modia about it. And I'll have those souvenirs from Adonis for you guys when you get home!" He then heads back to pick up the Agency's ship and fly it back to Perimeter Base.

The streets of Q-Town are quiet as Aleksandr makes his way to Dolly's. When he arrives at the diner, he catches Dolly staring wistfully out the window. The old Qotah isn't looking at him, but at the starlight glimmering through the great dome. When Aleksandr joins Blinov and Jolene at their booth, Dolly greets him politely and excuses herself to the back room.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 20, 2014, 05:30:22 PM
Blinov briefs Aleksandr on all the information they've gathered so far and looks at him expectantly, hoping a brilliant low-risk plan of action is forthcoming.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 21, 2014, 03:52:38 AM
"Where were you, sunshine? Off reconnoitering the belly of the beast, through underground steam tunnels and air ducts, knife between your teeth?" Jolene whips a wry smile to Alexsandr, goading him to spill any derring-do.

Secretly she respects his type of skills, but worries all the same. Got used to be defensively chiding as the men in her life too often put themselves in harms way to make ends meet. "You'll be around for my flapjacks this morning at least, right?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 21, 2014, 11:06:03 AM
In a wistful tone, and with a faraway look in his eye, Alexsandr replies, "I wish."

He sighs and says, "truth be told, I miss the juice."

He shakes his head and puts on a smile as he changes the conversation, "nyet, Golubushka, I did not go caving today.  I went to the spaceport and ran into Spanner.  He was returning from his mission.  However, we did observe a convoy of trucks enter the NME facility there.  It's fairly obvious that there is an underground complex beneath the NME structure above ground."

He pauses for dramatic effect and then says, "I also had a drink and pleasant conversation with Ran Iijima the Golden Orb.  She emerged with a Synthetic from the NME warehouse at the spaceport and we followed her there.  I initiated a conversation with her and told her that I was there on behalf of Dr. Nadir to speak about an accounting error on the last month's royalty check.  She agreed to meet with me today to sort that out.  All in all, it went well.  It appears that NME is planning something big here and is working secretly on it in an underground base.  I didn't push my luck and we parted on a good note."

Looking to Jolene and Blinov with a satisfied smile, he asks, "how did your day go?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 21, 2014, 11:54:38 AM
Blinov has tied the paper wrapper of his straw into a bowtie. "I suspect the local underworld information network isn't as, err, 'independent' as it used to be. I'm debating investigating that further, unless you think we have enough to go on and set a course of action."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 21, 2014, 09:27:07 PM
Alexsandr shakes his head negatively as he says, "well, I have set up a meeting to get the royalties owed to Dr. Nadir.  I will ask for the original prototype back in the meeting.  Other than those two items of business for Dr. Nadir, I am not sure what else we should be doing here."

He shrugs as he continues, "if continue doing any more serious investigations into NME's business we may cross the line legally, and we may cross NME's Security which is capable."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 22, 2014, 04:46:35 AM
" ладно, so let's just play it mostly straight and see what happens. Do you want us close by when you're having the meeting, just in case things get strange?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 23, 2014, 09:44:18 AM
Quote from: Drohem;751401
Alexsandr shakes his head negatively as he says, "well, I have set up a meeting to get the royalties owed to Dr. Nadir.  I will ask for the original prototype back in the meeting.  Other than those two items of business for Dr. Nadir, I am not sure what else we should be doing here."

He shrugs as he continues, "if continue doing any more serious investigations into NME's business we may cross the line legally, and we may cross NME's Security which is capable."


"Well, unless the good doctor goes, I'll be needed to make sure they send us back the right prototype. As for the royalties, maybe Dr. Nadir will lend us some staff good with legalities and charm." Jolene looks tired, as the news of her world's Catch 22 is settling in uncomfortably.

"Outside of returning here for the date with the "farm boys," I can't figure out what all else we must do. If I do sell the battery prototype to small farmers at distant domes, they'll need to bootleg their own micro-generation, which for the most part is technically illegal per NME contracts with Qetesh. That said a battery is not power generation, so how much they can trace it back to us..." With a shrug she trails off the commercial thought.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 23, 2014, 10:52:04 AM
Dolly appears from the backroom to turn of her blinking holographic "We're Open!" sign and lock the front door. She doesn't rush you to hurry, though, nodding gently and disappearing back into the kitchen to tidy up.

(OOC: Looks like we're ready to go ahead to the morning meeting, but first! What are the group's intentions for the night? Drive back to Base for a few ZZZs and come back in the morning? I believe you have the oxygen for it. You could find a room in Q-Town for the night, for a few credits.)

(Either way, I'll have Denny meet you in the morning!)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 23, 2014, 01:36:45 PM
Back to base is my vote. I'd like to report our findings to the boss unless the party objects.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 23, 2014, 07:15:57 PM
OOC: Well my flapjacks and gravy bits should be rested plenty. I vote for a return to base, confer with Dr. Nadir and staff, and a change of clothes for tomorrow night.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 23, 2014, 09:16:50 PM
OOC:  Alright, let's head back to base and get some good sleep in our own beds and return in the morning.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 24, 2014, 12:40:36 AM
You drive the pickup truck through the star-lit wastes, Qetesh's bright yellow moon, Qurash, floating high above. As you leave the glimmering lights of Q-Town behind, you see the blinking of construction equipment off in the distance, likely a new farm dome going up. As you pull up to Perimeter Base's garage you see the Agency's trusty Ship parked in place.

Once inside, you find Spanner in the common area speaking with another unfamiliar man. The vsitor is young, but older than both Spanner and Blinov. Though he has blue eyes and brown hair, he seems to be of some Asian descent as well.

Dr. Nadir rolls up in a medtech-equipped wheelchair. Dr. Ling is nowhere in sight, presumably studying or sleeping in her quarters. Nadir smiles weakly, glad to see the Agents home.

"Ah, welcome back. How did your day in the city go?" he wheezes, having a particularly hard time finishing his sentence. "This is Denny Plowman," he announces with a gentle gesture, pointing to the stranger. "Our newly-trained agent from…well, he currently resides over in Jessup. I thought his mechanical skills would be of great use in your endeavors, so I called him in. Make him feel as if he is at home, because as of tihis moment, he is." (Blinov, you immediately notice his D3AD4OG shirt.)

"Did you locate Iijima? She give you a hard time?"

(OOC: You now each have 2 hours of oxygen left in your main 02 tanks, with the 3 3hr minitanks remaining. You'll use 2 hrs to get back to town in the morn.)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 24, 2014, 07:23:49 AM
"I like the shirt," says Blinov with an approving nod at Denny. "You going to the concert?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 24, 2014, 11:44:01 AM
Alexsandr reports to Dr. Nadir, "Spanner and I observed Iijima leaving the NME warehouse at the spaceport and followed her into the Golden Orb.  I approached her socially and spoke with her at length.  I brought the owed royalties for the last month and set up a meeting today to speak about the accounting error.  It went well.  It appears that NME is working on something big in an underground complex beneath the spaceport."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 24, 2014, 01:29:02 PM
Nadir wrinkles his nose. "Underground? Huh. Well, they're always up to something. Just be cautious when dealing with them..."

"What's the news from town? Any potential clients for selling the x-cell? While you were out I got some job offers over QNet, but they seem rather mundane, not really in our wheelhouse. There's a qweevil infestation on a farm outside Q-Town, for example. Since when do we play exterminator?" he mutters grumpily. He grows crankier by the second.

"And a missing persons case. If the cops can't find this guy, what makes these people think we can?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Drohem on May 25, 2014, 04:14:12 PM
Alexsandr says thoughtfully, "perhaps they don't really want the authorities finding him.  What information do you have about this job?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on May 25, 2014, 11:38:25 PM
Quote from: Shipyard Locked;752176
"I like the shirt," says Blinov with an approving nod at Denny. "You going to the concert?"


Heak yes, i just hope there are tickets left..I have'nt gotten mine yet been to busy....

(Denny looks everyone over, making his first impressions, tends to be overjudgemental and a little shy..)


So what are you guys working on?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 26, 2014, 03:15:37 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;752213
"What's the news from town? Any potential clients for selling the x-cell? While you were out I got some job offers over QNet, but they seem rather mundane, not really in our wheelhouse. There's a qweevil infestation on a farm outside Q-Town, for example. Since when do we play exterminator?" he mutters grumpily. He grows crankier by the second.

"As for NME news, Alexsandr spilled what beans there were left in the can. Still obliged tomorrow to make nice with two country boys from Acherai. I'll need to wrangle a man or two from here, just to keep those extra NME guards honest in case they get the wrong idea."

"As for X Cell customers, well I met an old childhood friend who moved out to Jessup back when I was taller than the boys, and if he's like other small farmers there's definitely an energy need out there." A seriousness then settles on Jolene, "But what this battery can store for their farming needs, the laws on micro-generation favor NME's global monopoly and industrial level power generation. Like pigs in a poke, they and the financiers of Clio got this world under their control."

"If my friend's struggle in Jessup is anything like other domes, there's a real market out there. Could make a profit before a farmer riot, I guess, but there'll be real danger if NME looks at us in a dim light. A battery is not generation, so we'll be skirting the hem line."

"As for the qweevil extermination, I wouldn't mind taking a look. Not that I know much about biology, but if it's a real threat it could devastate my poor planet's economy. But I guess that's a bit like a mother of me, not big sighted like a world-hoppin cosmopolitan."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 27, 2014, 06:13:53 AM
Quote from: RookieRPG;752448
Heak yes, i just hope there are tickets left..I have'nt gotten mine yet been to busy....

"Oh, they're out there for the getting," says Blinov. "The price is the thing. Hope you've been saving your bit-pennies."

He turns to Jo-jo. "I'll back you up tomorrow."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 27, 2014, 05:02:04 PM
Nadir rolls his chair over to Aleksandr. "Manny Basanos is his name, sort of a local firebrand. On QNet you can find vids of him speaking up for farm workers' rights. His wife says he went missing five days ago, and the police are no help."

He sighs sympathetically, but gives you a stern look. "I met Basanos a long time ago. Sold him some rare tech, but I didn't keep in touch. Hell, I didn't even know he got married until Mrs. Basanos contacted me."

Nadir looks to Jolene. "The Amity Family Farm is about halfway between us and Q-Town. Not too far off the path, anyway--doubt it would make a dent in your 02 supply. The qweevils are burrowing up from the caves, getting into the tents and eating thecrops. Qweevils take special care to exterminate, else they return in greater numbers..."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on May 29, 2014, 12:01:33 PM
( While listenin intently Denny pulls up the videos if Basano's on "Q"tube ... And asks) "What dome did you say he was from?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 29, 2014, 04:40:45 PM
Nadir wheezes loudly as he thinks on this. "One of the small far domes, I think. But last I heard he was trying to stir up something in Jessup..."

Denny:
Sure enough, when you see the vids of Basanos (when QTube finally loads, that is!) you realize that you have seen him in passing on the streets of downtown Jessup. He is a broad, muscular man, probably in his thirties, his skin tanned in the Qeteshi sun. In his videos he frequently rails against the already-rich families who dominate the farm workers and have sold themselves to NME sponsorship in the hopes of getting richer.

In one video he burns an image of a man named Jonas Quark, a landowner in NME's pocket. Basanos also called on the Protectorate to intervene on the people's behalf.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 30, 2014, 04:00:08 AM
"This Basanos sounds like a right firebrand needed in these times. Any more country club deals and might as well call the whole of Qetesh one big plantation." Jolene shakes her head at the thought of that, "Boils me up at the thought of the little man having nowhere free to do for them and theirs without big house and city hall interference."

"Mind if I look over you as you research, Denny?" Jolene tentatively saddles on over to Denny and his rig, getting out her compad for notes and additional research. "I'd like y'all to share some intel on this job, as it signals how far big interests will go to silence the little guy. Gives a sense how fast we may need to outrun their reach when selling X Cells."

"I'll sniff out Mrs. Basanos' den and vitals to save a bit of time..." Turns to Dr. Nadir with a ruminating face, "Sure is a lot of caves involved in things now. Both qweevils and NME basements; next you know Mr. Basanos'll be in one. I best help suss out a run down of the known dangers of Qeteshi cave systems, too."

OOC: Will do a skill check for intel on Mrs. Basanos, location, job, history, connections, enemies, noticeable likes/dislikes. Checking for any leads or foul play.

Will also check for Qeteshi cave knowledge: weird critters, travel dangers, variety, particularly known nearby cave systems and geologic strata. Special note on qweevils, their hazards and removal. Will keep an eye on any caves leading toward Q-Town, and NME warehouse especially.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 30, 2014, 12:23:13 PM
Blinov bides by imbibing Blueberry Bubble Bluster.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 30, 2014, 05:15:14 PM
The last videos Denny pulls up catch Basanos at a different angle--with his jacket off and no long sleeves to conceal it, the man's right arm reflects the sun, revealing a black metallic sheen.

"Sold him that arm," Nadir says with a nod of recognition. "He'd saved up all he had to pay for it." He shakes his head.

Jolene:

Your search is well thorough, and you've pinpointed Basanos's origin to the far-outlying dome of Sandor, clear on the other side of Raleigh. As for Mrs. Basanos, your search suggests that there is no Mrs. Basanos. There is no record of marriage, no tags in public images. The only females Basanos has ever been publically linked to are fellow protestors, none of them romantically.
 
(OOC: Tunnel system infoin my next post.)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on May 30, 2014, 10:51:10 PM
"Well don't that just beat all. This Mrs. Basanos is about as visible as a raccoon shadow at midnight." Turns again to Dr. Nadir with the query plain on her face, "Who sent the message, and how was it sent? Any video of the person delivering it?"

Offers her compad for others to read the results, "From what I can find there is no Mrs. Basanos. And there's no real lead on who in his life it could be. Just how much shade does this sapling cast?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on May 31, 2014, 01:25:08 AM
"It was just a regular message to my business q-mail account," Nadir explains. "I don't give it out to just anyone, so I presumed this 'Missus' got it from her husband..."

"Unless it were some elaborate trap, I don't know why one would lie about being married to Basanos. With the enemies he's made among the upper crust, why would someone make themselves a target by association like that?"

***

Meanwhile, the info on the tunnels and caverns of Qetesh comes through. Qetesh's crust and mantle are full of round, winding tunnels and smooth caverns, which records assume were carved several thousand years ago by the planet's giant qwurms, titanic annelids believed extinct. There is a system that runs very close to Q-Town, and one that stretches from Jessup and past your Perimeter Base bunker. You can access this system from your Base.

Given Qetesh's extremely low atmosphere there are few critters in the wild, but those who lurk in the caverns can be pretty hardy. Like qweevils, for example.

Qweevils are Dachshund-sized bugs, well adapted to low atmosphere. They tend to travel by scurrying, or curling into a ball and rolling through the undulating tunnels. Their calcified carapaces are quite sturdy and resistant to blunt impact, but the best way to kill qweevils is by piercing their shells. Also, qweevil queens are the key to quickly ending an infestation. Removing the queen alive and transporting her to another location will cause the demotivated bugs in her swarm to disperse, breaking their community and causing them to leave the area in search of a new queen. Killing a qweevil queen may end an infestation outright, but field studies are inconclusive on this point.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on May 31, 2014, 12:26:42 PM
Blinov winces at the qweevil data. It sounds like a lot of medic work waiting to happen.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on May 31, 2014, 01:46:29 PM
Denny walks over to some equipment and starts to tinker. It seems that his best thinking is done while fixing and working with his hands ... And then he says

" I remember seeing this Basanos in Jessup, I didn't really know who he was at the time. He must not have been from there since most of the farmer's had my father work on their equipment at sometime. That of course was the case up until a few years ago when my father died and his business partner took over leaving me and my mother with nothing... I could still ask around to some of the older farmers who remember me and my dad coming out to work for them... If they heard what Basanos' Business was in Jessup...If it was was recent it could be related to his dissappearance...then again since we really don't know who this woman reportedly... Reporting him as missing really is, maybe we should start in his hometown of Sandor. I also think we should look into Quark's homestead for any clues...with the recent burning of his image might create a motive...

As for the Qweevils... It wouldn't hurt to make few extra $credits. But since yall are scientists we should approach it from a scientific angle... So we know relocating a queen will work, but why not see what happens if we just exterminate her, create an experiment per se... A way to observe the results...

Of course they don't pay me fer thinkin like that... I'm just a farmboy who fixes thangs...just tell me where to go and what to fix...on a side note... Does that diagram of the tunnels show that the underground lab yall mentioned nme has going on and the tunnel system? Could those be the same thing?? Or a wày to access it??"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 01, 2014, 11:18:42 PM
From the map you have of the tunnels it looks like they run under the spaceyard and NME's office, thus overlapping the assumed location of the NME bunker as well.

***

Spanner stands up, a look of realization in his face. "Oh...I forgot! I brought a few trinkets from Adonis for y'all...I'll be right back!" He departs for the garage and returns with a pair of large burlap bags with faded cargo tracking numbers stamped on the sides.

He digs through the bags and removes an item for each of the Agents:

Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on June 02, 2014, 06:22:36 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;754735

  • To Blinov he fans out a stack of cards. "I found these Pre-Mandate Era cards for you, but since you're psychic you probably knew that already. The trader said they were coming back into fashion on the Concordat Worlds." The cards have shiny, iridescent images on them and are emblazoned with weird titles like "The Empress" and "The Hierophant." As you flick through the cards, the characters on the images actually move, performing a cycle of rote motions.
Blinov immediately shuffles and draws a card, feeling the moment is right to get some cosmic insight into the group's next best course of action. He's thinking of the qweevils. What does he draw Mr. Kent?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 02, 2014, 08:49:51 AM
It doesn't seem to have a name like some of the others you've seen--instead, it is simply titled "Nine", but the word is upside down. As you touch it, the card's image springs to holographic life, lifting about an inch off of the card's surface.

An utterly distressed woman looks up at you, then buries her face in her hands. She is above, dangling over flickering objects--nine swords. They rotate beneath her like a grinder awaiting fresh meat, and the woman begins to lower towards the blades. She looks up at you, as if to entreat you to do something about her situation. Then the image flickers and the animation begins again.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on June 02, 2014, 12:25:50 PM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;754809
It doesn't seem to have a name like some of the others you've seen--instead, it is simply titled "Nine", but the word is upside down. As you touch it, the card's image springs to holographic life, lifting about an inch off of the card's surface.

An utterly distressed woman looks up at you, then buries her face in her hands. She is above, dangling over flickering objects--nine swords. They rotate beneath her like a grinder awaiting fresh meat, and the woman begins to lower towards the blades. She looks up at you, as if to entreat you to do something about her situation. Then the image flickers and the animation begins again.


Blinov blurts out, "I'm getting a vibe here - the qweevil job is probably more than it appears at first glance. There's something more serious than crops at stake, but we should be careful about who we trust if we investigate it further."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 03, 2014, 08:41:03 PM
"Allright!, time to get to work!" Exclaims Denny

OOC: Would like to roll a skill check on postech to examine everyone's vaccsuit in preparation for the trip
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 03, 2014, 10:26:02 PM
[OOC: As it stands, the other three agents are not using vaccsuits, only O2 tanks--the inert gas of the atmosphere is not harmful despite being unbreathable.

Basic FYI: Denny, the suit Spanner gave you comes with its own built in tank. The vaccsuit grants protection from radiation and has a built-in radio, and luckily you've got the skills to negate any encumbrance penalties. It's AC 7, same as your leatherjack.

For all: I'll say again for your convenience--Aleksandr/Blinov/Jolene each have 2 hours of oxygen left in your main 02 tanks, with the 3 3hr minitanks remaining. Denny has a 6hr main tank.]

Night passes quickly, and you all get a restful sleep, despite anticipation for the next day's activities.

When you awaken, Dr. Ling greets you in the common room, having awakend early to prepare Nadir's meds for the day. Spanner is still in bed. Modia, being a sleepless artificial entity, stirs within the Orrery.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 04, 2014, 06:40:14 PM
Denny yawns and scratches himself as he gets a cup of Q-bucks Java for everyone he states

"Good morning Doc, Good mornin all...yall need to spend some time on the farm i've been up for 3 hours checking equipment and tightening screws... Them Qwow's don't milk themselves thats fo sho....so where we off to first?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on June 05, 2014, 04:00:51 AM
"Your off to settle down for breakfast, Denny. I got day old flapjacks that need eatin, and my gravy'll need a pardon, but bring your hunger and make the best of it. I'm a whippin up some eggs, biscuits, and ham to round out my embarrassing leftovers. Be kind, m'kay?"

Jolene already has Spanner's place set up, and plans to give a heaping portion as thank you to his thoughtfulness for her green gem xeno-gift. She does not feel she has the time to safely study the object today, but she's planning a time to hit the lab in full force with it. {"Why sugar, ain't you just an angel? Rememberin us when you're away... I'm gonna make sure you get a down home breakfast to welcome you back." Remembering her words of thanks to Spanner, she hopes he likes it. Maybe if she ever goes off-world she can return the kindness, as he loves the strange and new.}

Blinov's ominous warning leaves her ruminating as she cooks. No longer sure whether an initial check on the extermination job will be all that safe, she's wondering how to use her time today wisely. She has to visit those eager young men from Acherai tonight, perhaps a nightclub filled with dancing and other pretty women might put them off. What could she do today that is not so intensive so she can survive the night? I'll ask Blinov for a good mix of dance clubs tonight.

Hopefully we staff can plan over a good breakfast.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on June 05, 2014, 06:29:10 AM
Blinov mentally reviews his street waif lore of the local nightclub scene. Which one(s) would suit Jo-Jo's needs best?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 05, 2014, 01:25:25 PM
Spanner awakens to the smell of breakfast, and he pokes his head out his room with a wide grin. "HAM," he says abruptly and excitedly. "Jolene's cooking? Score…" He sits down appreciatively at the table. He plops down next to Blinov and reaches for the syrup.

Modia emerges from the Orrery quietly, roused by Spanner's loud excited laugh. Despite the fact that she doesn't eat, the robot approaches the table curiously.

Blinov thinks over his knowledge of Q-Town's nightclubs. There's really only a few recreational dance places, and two that come to mind as best choices.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 05, 2014, 03:49:12 PM
Denny grabs some of Jo-jo's homecooking and pops a squat

" I think we first need to establish our priorities... What has to be done today..? What  should be done today... And what could be done...? I just started working here so maybe yall could fill me in..."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on June 06, 2014, 06:14:57 AM
Looking to the kitchen entrance, "Alexsandr must be sleeping in still." Giving Blinov a conspiratorial side glance and grin, "Think Ms. Iijima tuckered him right out? He sure pulled into a straight flush over on us, didn't he. Full of surprises I bet he still is." Serving out ham and scrambled eggs from the center serving plates to others in an attempt to cover her inside joke, Jolene tries to change the subject.

"You're dern right, Denny! No time like the present to roll up our sleeves and catch up with roosters and dawn." Starting to get up and set aside breakfast servings for those who currently have not arrived yet, she busies herself trying to recount what was learned. "Well first, NME hasn't paid our good doctor his ree-siduals, and we needed to check on them hens to see why they ain't layin no more. Seems like NME is on a new big energy project, and going to be doing some experiments, like since last night..."

The recounting continues, letting Blinov or Spanner jump in what they can fill in. "So apparently Asherai is just another farming planet, but filled with religious rules and they can't do nothing, no way, no how. Poor dears flee to just get a taste of their cider before they return to mashin apples." Continues about how such wilting flowers those fresh faced guard lads were, and what a riot of not right shamelessness Jolene herself was. Alternating from enjoying herself to being right serious, she gives away her conflict between joking about pulling one over someone and being mistaken for a 'loose woman.'

"Clio is the big banker planet that funds big guys like NME and small farmers alike. Given their money market needs and NME's cosy company store setup with Qetesh and Titan Protectorate gov't, the little guy ain't got a chance. That's when Blinov and I were waitin all up for Alexsandr to do his 'reconnoiterin'..." At this she tries to suppress a titter as she nudges Blinov in the back in one of her regular busy sweeps around the kitchen. This continues until Denny is caught up.

OOC: Is there any quest in particular you're seeking more info on, or just what we accomplished yesterday, in game time? You can do a few Out Of Character questions here and we'll fill them in here as to get you up to speed.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on June 06, 2014, 08:20:43 AM
Blinov informs Jo-Jo of her nightclub options. Meanwhile he surreptitiously observes Denny's eating, seeing what he can learn of his personality and approach to life from the way he goes about it.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 06, 2014, 11:26:56 AM
"MFFH! Ww sww th twwks!" Spanner mumbles with his mouth full of ham. After swallowing, he clears his throat. "Oh, we saw these trucks, when the Commander and me were hanging out by the spaceyard. All these trucks goin' into the NME warehouse, full of big stuff and coming out empty. Couldn't see what they had, though."

"Then me and the commander went to see Iijima at the Golden Orb. She didn't like me much, but she sure took a shine to the Commander. It's...like, it's so clear the lady hates it here. I think its the heat, from how she was fanning herself. All she could talk about was her homeworld, Kazo. That's a cold planet, I think? Never been there myself..."

Modia subtly spots Blinov looking at Denny. She tilts her head and begins to quietly watch him too.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 06, 2014, 05:04:11 PM
Denny is piling all of his stuff together, he loves it when everything is touching..half a flapjack is covering up all the eggs, the ham is laying flat under the biscuits, and gravy poured over everything... when he takes a bite gravy gets all over his hands, knife,and fork..he licks it up like a dog...Suddenly he gets the feeling he's being watched,

..." It all goes to the same place n'eway... , Now I don't know where yall come from but, when someone owes someone a buck or two you pay up. I think we ought march on over and get some moneys..."

OOC: I guess I'm just trying to see what you guys want to do first, and where we want to go next, i have read through everything but it's easier to remember the stuff I've been a part of rather then what all happened before Denny Showed up on scene
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on June 06, 2014, 06:11:27 PM
Blinov looks away just before Denny catches him, but in the process makes eye contact with Modia and realizes what it was doing too, probably because of him. The synthetic's unblinking (blink-incapable!) gaze always makes his neck twitch, so he awkwardly looks away again with a very slight chuckle at himself, it, and the situation.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 07, 2014, 10:18:25 PM
(OOC: Shall we timeshift ahead to Q-Town? As I said, the qweevil-infested Amity farm is between Base and Town, probably a bit closer to Town, but if you wanted to start with the meeting in town it wouldn't take much to check it out in the mid-day and end the day with some clubbing!)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on June 08, 2014, 08:06:09 AM
I'm ok with that.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 08, 2014, 02:07:33 PM
Denny gets his nice clothes on...a green d3a8h3g shirt, with blue stripes...check's over his oxygen tank and grabs his gear...looks like he's ready to go
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 08, 2014, 09:49:45 PM
Commander Aleksandr awakes and gets ready to go. This reminds Spanner. "Oh yes--Ran Iijima said  that NME hires freelancers for special assignments. When she was all but throwin' herself at the Commander, she strongly hinted that she wanted him on her…payroll."

Modia and Spanner wave you off as you pile into the pick-up truck. Nadir is still asleep and Dr. Ling is busying herself with med supplies in the storage room.

(OOC: We'll assume Aleksandr is with you all--Please subtract 2 Hours of O2.)

As the Q-Town dome rises over the horizon before you, a ship roars overhead--by the timing you can tell it’s the shuttle to Clio, carrying Gordy Shane and countless other dreamers seeking loans on the banking planet. Before long you're pulling up at a large lot near the spaceyard, halfway between NME's office and the Golden Orb hotel. Town is much quieter this morning what with all the farmhands off to work…except for the Golden Orb, which is swarming with the blue and white uniforms of Protectorate police.

The NME Office is lightly guarded by comparison.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 10, 2014, 09:06:55 AM
OOC: I'm assuming now that we're in the dome I can leave the o2 tank/vacc suit etc in the truck?

Due to the large amount of Blue and white, Denny Leaves his Revolver locked up in the pickup, He throws his pos-tech kit and binoculars into his backpack, throws his leatherjacket on and straps on his survival kit belt

.."Better leave "piglet", too many QPP around"... says Denny As he hides his gun in the pickup

"Ok, so I'll be honest with yall, I'm not a very outgoing person OOC: Cha= 6 ;( ... So I'll be hanging back, and letting yall do most the talking.. If I'm feeling frisky I might say "HI" to someone...but I got yall's back...not sure if it's shift change or if somethin'g up, but there sure are alot of QPP over there at the "Orb"..."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on June 10, 2014, 07:11:19 PM
"Well now, what'd we'all decided to do now here?" Jolene asks the group. "Making nice with the Qetesh police wasn't what I had in mind, and NME is rather open all friendly like, but on what terms did Alexsandr talk to Ms. Iijima 'bout ree-siduals?"

She looks about then turns and pauses, hoping the rest of the group pauses likewise. "If they seem to have no interest in paying us back, and are lookin' to poach our talent, then on what pretense do we pay a call to visit? No good enough reason and we ain't gettin' further than a run around with receptionists and refreshments."

OOC: I'm assuming bureaucracy skill is informing me of expected chances, and this likely won't need a roll. Whenever we formulate a real plan or two, those I would check Bureaucracy skill for more info.

Quick disambiguation: do the Protectorate police at the Golden Orb look to be off duty gathering, or does it seem like crime scene activity.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 10, 2014, 08:13:55 PM
The Commander relays his take on things...

Quote from: Aleksandr;752203
"Spanner and I observed Iijima...I approached her socially and spoke with her at length.  I brought the owed royalties for the last month and set up a meeting today to speak about the accounting error.  It went well."


(OOC: From the how the meeting went, Iijima seemed to agree that credits were owed, but the accounting error could not be corrected until morning, normal business hours.)

The line of police in front of the Orb are turning people away from the hotel. They clear the way as an ambulance from the Q-Town Clinic, the small local hospital, arrives. The medics move with little urgency, but their expressions are grave.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on June 11, 2014, 08:24:06 AM
With urchin stealth, Blinov inconspicuously positions himself to overhear the chatter around the hotel and ambulance and possibly catch a clue as to the identity of the victim.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 11, 2014, 01:36:48 PM
A broad-shouldered soldier commands the other police officers. As Blinov creeps up, he spots the medics somberly loading a hovering gurney into the ambulance.

"He's a vet, all right," the commander discreetly says to his second-in-command. "A Marine. Just like the ones on the Capitol Planet…"

The second officer nods. "We'll bring up surveillance--"

"No--already tried that," the commander sighs with frustration. "Something killed all cameras yesterday afternoon. Footage stops with our vic standing in the lobby. But surely someone had to see something…"

The second officer begins to step away. "I'll put out the call for witnesses, sir!" As he leaves, the ambulance's engine starts, and the vehicle prepares to pull away.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on June 11, 2014, 05:34:59 PM
Blinov gets a feeling that they're talking about the marine he saw meeting the woman with a briefcase the other day. He tells the others what he just found out and ponders out loud if he should answer the call for witnesses. On the one hand he might learn something useful from the process and it would be the honest thing to do, but on the other it might just get him into all kinds of trouble.

[OOC: If I can Mr. Kent after the call for witnesses I'd like to go all the way to the police station and the moment before I volunteer I'll spend a psi point to sense if it's a safe thing to do.]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 12, 2014, 01:26:42 AM
The Municipal Building is a round, egg-like structure, a mini-dome in the center of Q-Town. The Protectorate's local Marshall is posted here, as are his hand-picked local troopers and the occasional soldier imported from offworld. On the second floor of the structure is the Mayor's Office. The Governor has an office in each city-dome, but when she is in Q-Town she's based here.

A recognizable line-up is amassed at the Municipal Building--the Orb's bartender, the front desk clerk, those Vestry women with the face veils. Even that super-pregnant Ssath is here! She is very wide now, with an odd crease down the center of her face and body.

Blinov:
You contemplate telling what you know about the late Marine's meeting with the young blonde. As you start to focus on your options, you feel a little throb in your temples. A pulsing sensation radiates from each temple, converging at your forehead.

Seconds later, you are standing in what looks like a control room--there are surveillance screens all around you, overseeing ships docked at the spaceyard. The Marshall--the same commander you eavesdropped on previously--is standing with you watching surveillance footage of yesterday's flight leaving for Atlas.

The Marshall turns to you. "Well now--I guess you've earned this…"

The throbbing in your brain dissipates as the vision leaves you.

(OOC: 1 Psi point spend for your Omen! 1 left)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 12, 2014, 01:41:47 AM
Denny Watches Blinov as he spaces out...and looks like he's getting a migraine

"Blinov, are you ok?"

 "I guess we now know that this isn't the 5:00 somewhere gathering for the QPP. Who would do such a thing to a veteran, and if a veteran why not a couple of scientists and farmhand..." Denny places his hand where his holster usually is, and begins feeling vulnerable

"I wish I had something to ...screw right now...."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on June 12, 2014, 04:22:51 AM
"Don't force me to hose you down, Denny, like a dog in heat." Jolene slings her retort with a confident cool, hoping to simmer things down. "I'm sure Blinov got a gut instinct that it's better to not mess with stills other than your own."

Turning to Blinov, "Why don't we finish up this collection business, refill our O2 tanks just in case, and then go to lunch? Besides, if Alexsandr's right, things should be all ready for us anyhow. This'll all give us some time to clear our heads and maybe we can go back to the good doctor to get ready for tonight."

"What'd y'all say?" Starts walking to NME and beckons the rest with a nod. {Ooh lordy, best they get no religion on me now. Last thing we wanna do is chat up the QPP when they start with a bad day. We've been too close as it is, and nothin' good'll come from linger here, let alone helpin', especially if any of my boys has a lip on them.}
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 12, 2014, 05:10:34 AM
Denny start's walking with JoJo

"...money, always pays at the end of the day...even if it isn't mine, Plus most Police departments are open all the time...so we can stop by whenever we feel like it....
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on June 12, 2014, 05:21:07 PM
"Uh, actually, when I get the opportunity I'd like to do my civic duty and report what I saw. It's the right thing to do." (and the profitable thing to do...)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 13, 2014, 12:49:42 AM
The mustached bartender from the Golden Orb emerges from the station, beads of sweat dripping gently down his forehead. He looks at your group with recognition--except for Denny, whom hasn't met. "Hey! Are you guys here about what happened last night at the hotel?"

He shakes his head. "They're seriously frazzled, not that the QPP would let on. I heard something about a reward for info...too bad I didn't see a thing!"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 14, 2014, 08:07:00 AM
Denny approaches "The Mustache", nodding his head

..I'm Dennis Plowman, from Jessup yonder, and you are? What did the Police Say to you? Did they Question you?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 14, 2014, 10:43:11 AM
"Magnus Marston," the man says with a proud twist of his mustache, and shakes Denny's hand. "Barmaster at the Golden Orb!"

"The Marshall simply asked if I had seen the dead guy with anyone, and truly I hadn't. Once he stepped out of the lounge area he was none of my concern!"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 14, 2014, 10:53:11 AM
Denny quanders his new acquaintance, and wonder's if he saw Magnus, anywhere in his childhood..his hand's begin to stir as he realizes he is engaging in a conversation...don't get nervous, ....i think I'm nuts...I am nuts...bolts and nuts

"What time did they get here this morning?"

OOC: Also going to do a check on general knowledge about crime rates/murder rates in Q-town. Is this a common occurrence/not unheard/or very rare never happens...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 14, 2014, 01:58:08 PM
"Jessupfolk, eh?" Magnus asks, and politely cuts the handshake short. "Hmm. I wouldn't have guessed, er, based on clothing and all." Denny can't place Magnus from anywhere before--judging by his reaction to the mention of Jessup he probably doesn't get out that way often.

Crime in QTown is not unheard of. Because of its rustic atmosphere and folksy locals it is quite easy to forget QTown is a fairly large city and the planetary capitol. However, any murders are usually reported near the Prairie Dog and the shady neighborhood surrounding it. Death at the Orb is a distinct rarity.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on June 18, 2014, 01:16:47 PM
[ooc: I feel conflicted because I feel like I should say or do something to maintain momentum, but it doesn't seem like the right moment for my character to be leading the action either.]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 18, 2014, 05:51:23 PM
OOC: No please lead away...We're losing momentum fast
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on June 18, 2014, 07:42:56 PM
[ooc: Alright, Mr. Kent, unless we need to go in a particular sequence can I have Blinov answer the call for witnesses and deal with the outcome of that?]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 19, 2014, 02:18:57 AM
[OOC: Certainly! Any order will do! I'll chime in sooner next time.]

Magnus directs you all inside the station to the desk sergeant, then with an eager clap of his hands he bids you all good day. "I must be off to reopen the lounge at the Orb! There's a small but faithful group of drunks who will be missing my presence!"

Blinov:
The desk sergeant leads you down the hall to a sterile metallic interrogation room, which seems almost unnecessarily intimidating. The Marshall greets you calmly. "So, you might have some information, eh?" He sits opposite the table from you, and folds his hands.

"It's a decent reward, if any evidence pans out," he notes.

You describe the person with whom you saw the victim meet--a nubile young blonde with a briefcase. When she left for the spaceyard, she was carrying the old marine's pipe. Of course, none of this was on surveillance feed from the hotel due to the mysterious interruption, but the Marshall has an idea.

"Ah, I'm calling over to the yard, have them send their security feed over." When he walks into the adjacent room, you peer over the Marshall's shoulder and immediately recognize it. It looks like the control room from your omen…

Denny and Jolene:
The inside of the municipal building is busier than you might expect, but then again it is a capitol office. Who knows, you might even encounter the Governor herself if she's not traveling!

The lobby has a news screen similar to that in the Golden Orb hotel. Though the flashing news items read "Breaking", it's best to remember that these were delivered yesterday, and are a day old.


Older News (all news prior to present month, May):


At the bottom of the digital screen a small scrolling advert mentions the courier system. "Want to see the stars up close and help keep the Protectorate united and informed? You could be a Courier! Contact @courierxp on QNet to learn more and travel the galaxy!"

There is also a holographic poster placed next to the board, advertising Deadhog's show in Jessup tomorrow night. His special guest performer is Marie Eidolon, and the opening act is S'MOOV. The animated deadhog mask graphic winks at you playfully.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on June 19, 2014, 08:07:57 PM
Blinov waits to see what happens.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 20, 2014, 12:48:29 PM
Blinov:
In a few minutes, the Marshall is looking over the feed from the spaceyard, and sure enough, there's the girl you described. Before reaching the loading area for the flight to Atlas, she ditches the dead marine's pipe and a small bag in a garbage receptacle.

The Marshall calls his men to the spaceyard, and before darting out of the surveillance officer, he turns to you. "We usually don't get useful results when we offer a reward for information. Local Qeteshi are sort of likely to mind their own business and look the other way, even for credits. Well now--I guess you've earned it."

He performs an electronic transfer on his commpad, and rewards Blinov 200 credits!

The Marshall has a sergeant escort you back out to the rest of the group. Your time at the municipal building has eaten up some time, and now it's very late in the morning.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 20, 2014, 09:11:03 PM
Denny watches Blinov, after his...interrogation, to see if he notices anything different... He says to Blinov

"How did it go?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on June 21, 2014, 10:58:09 PM
Blinov flicks an imaginary wad of bills in his hands. "That poor marine's gonna be paying for a lot of slick T-shirts. What do you think my next design should be? I'm thinking something based on The Girl Who was a Butterfly Knife."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on June 22, 2014, 04:25:54 AM
"Well at least one of us got paid. But you best hope she has no feudin kin and kind." Jolene is genuinely happy for Blinov, but there's a crease of confused reluctance on her brow. Such behavior, walking up to the po-po and get paid for spilling beans, is rather bad form to her Qeteshi views. Keeping things in house and general distrust of the law is almost beyond generational among settlers she's used to.

Smiling wry, "Now if, by your leave, you're ready to pick up your second payday before lunch..."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on June 22, 2014, 02:18:14 PM
"I'm at your disposal. Let's go."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 23, 2014, 07:46:44 PM
A pair of armed men stand outside the NME office, bit they were clearly expecting you. As your group approaches, one guard stoically steps aside as the other leads you into a small but well decorated lobby. From there, the young secretary takes you in to see Ran Iijima.

Iijima checks the holographic clock on her desk when you arrive, then looks up at you. She is rather disappointed not to see Commander Turov with you.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/OhSiris/SWNRanIijima.png)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 23, 2014, 09:39:00 PM
Denny looks over Ijima, trying to place if he's seen her before, he whispers to JoJo and Blinov..

"What's with the bodyguards...did yall leave in unfriendly terms last time?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 24, 2014, 02:34:34 AM
Denny:
You've certainly never encountered this beatiful creature in person before (you'd surely remember her if you had!), however the Iijima name carries certain connotations for you--you recall the Iijima Clan from your late fathers tales of planet Kazo. According to Dad, the Iijimas were one of the prominent ruling families in the Forbidden City--respected and feared, and wealthy beyond reason. Not really what you'd think of as the "desk job" type...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 27, 2014, 03:00:24 AM
"So you're here about our little...payment snafu, eh?" Iijima continues. "That mistake was...unfortunate, but to not surprising, what with all the staggering feats of accounting we've had to juggle lately..."

Beside her appears a tall man, very thin, with dark hair and an angular face. Despite the realistic quality of his face, his eyes are blinking bulbs, similar to your own robotic helper Modia.

"My first computational error in decades!" the thin man defends himself to Iijima, and sneers at her, as if she is an old and hated enemy. He turns to you all. "Now, how in payroll were you missing?" he asks impatiently, preparing to transmit the credits electronically. "And once we're all paid up, will that be all for today?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 27, 2014, 10:06:25 AM
Denny whisper's to Blinov and JoJo

" What do we have on her, can we "cattle" prod her for any info? " "Blinov...What do the voices inside your head say ey?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on June 28, 2014, 06:00:22 AM
"This was Aleksandr's project, and he didn't exactly give us the play by play. If the money's forthcoming I say we just let this go smoothly but mention that Aleksandr is looking forward to seeing her or something."

Blinov surreptitiously draws and peeks at a tarot card just in case.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 28, 2014, 08:02:40 AM
OOC: Does Denny see any kind of interesting postec items/equipment lying on Ijima's Desk? Maybe a trinket of sort...something he would be familiar with??

"Well Ms. Ijima Captain Aleksander sends his well wishes, however he was detained on another vital assignment at the moment, so sorry he couldn't be here to speak with you himself, was there any message you wanted us to deliver to him?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on June 28, 2014, 08:00:46 PM
"Thank you kindly Iijima for personally being here to help us settle this little matter." Jolene smiles ingratiatingly with closed eyes as she tilts her head to the side. Turning to the tall, thin, dark android?, "And don't fret, as time will get the best of us all. Especially if y'all have been so terribly busy of late." Walks tentatively up towards tall, thin, dark android? and offers her hand in a ladylike fish handshake, "Pardon my addressing you without name, I'm Jolene."

(After introductions)

"But a lone error after decades is a record to envy, if I may say so." Turning back to face both, but squinty eyes more attentive to Iijmia "Sorry to catch y'all in such a time, but you know how money misunderstanding can fray friendships. Speaking of which, I think you've made a positive impression on my colleague, Alexsandr."

"Maybe when you have some downtime we all can re-cement our connections, over a tall cold one perhaps?" Turns around to back up to her companions, then turns facing NME reps again, "Well, no need to chew your ear off as y'all are burning the candle at both ends. Oh, one last thing. You wouldn't mind if we took this prototype and market it locally now, would ya? Just small market stuff, y'know, as y'all don't need this build like you used to." Ingratiating smile and happy slits for eyes are plastered upon a practiced face.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 29, 2014, 01:20:03 AM
Blinov:
You peek surreptitiously at your cards, flipping one over. The holographic image flickers to life. A young man, looking probably around your age or Denny's, stands at the top of a hill. He's breathing deeply as if nearly exhausted. Arrayed around him are six rods or staves jabbed into the dirt. With a triumphant look on his face, the young man hoists a seventh stave high above his head.

Denny:
You spot a musicube, a miniature recording device and music player popular in Kazo and a lot of the non-Core worlds. The thing gives off a flickering light show when it plays any of the hundreds of songs stored within. Due to its visual and audial nature, its frequently used as a stress relief therapy.

Iijima seems placated at the mention of Aleksandr. "Oh, the commander mentioned me, did he? Well, I guess you could tell him that the offer still stands. For any of you, really--Newsun-Matsuri is always hiring freelancers!"

An armed guard emerges from the hall with a large case. "Ah, here is your x-cell prototype," Iijima says, gesturing for the guard to place it on the desk before you. She shoves aside the musicube to make room for it. "I would have delivered it myself if I'd only known Dr. Nadir's address. Where does the doctor stay these days, eh? Is he close by?"

Jolene:
After a surprised pause, the "man" shakes your hand. His fingers are lifelessly cold, confirming that he is indeed an artificial lifeform. "Jolene…I'm Numen," he introduces himself. After pulling his hand back, his golden eyes flit rapidly. "There…I have transferred the correct credits to your commpads electronically."

OOC: All told, the full transfer totals 835 credits for each of you! Don't let all that moolah burn holes in your pockets! ;)

Iijima and Numen look at each other when you mention taking the X-cell to the market. "Err…of course…who am I to tell you how to run your business?" Iijima says, forcing a small smile.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 29, 2014, 10:43:25 AM
" Wow a Musiccube! I used to build these things with just a couple power cuplinks and old B cell wiring off Agriquipment on the farms... Let me show you something"

Denny in his  'excitement' grabs the musiccube as they push it aside to make room for the X-cell...He also grabs his postech Kit out of his backpack and Tinker's with the Musiccube

OOC: I'd like to make a POSTECH check here to see if I can successfully enhance the Musiccube or adapt it to do something different that would awe/amaze Ijima,My intention here howerver is  to have Denny actually be looking over Ijima's desk out of the corner of his vision though for any documents/papers or information that could tell us about what they're up to underneath the town..or any other relevant intel....ps: If I'm rolling it myself I got...5 (but maybe your prefer to do your own roll... mine is in the starswithoutnumber room @rolz)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on June 29, 2014, 11:42:21 AM
Jolene does a wide-eyed, clutch the pearls motion with her rictus of a smile still plastered on. "Oh my!" Giving into a touch of the vapors, Jolene hyperventilates while meeting the eyes of Iijima and Numen. "He's new, and quite eager, and a tinkerer extraordinaire as the good doctor said."

Hesitating from shock and trying to tactfully extricate Denny, she slowly approaches him. "Denny dear, Denny?" She turns to Iijima and Numen with eyes imploring patience. "I know you mean well, honey, but they haven't acquee-esced." Turns back to NME reps mouthing 'I'm so sorry,' and returns to Denny bending over the musiccube and facing him trying to break into his focused gaze.

Nodding slowly while trying to hold eye contact, "Best be careful and break nothin', dear. And perhaps it's better to put it all back together for another time." Straightens up and turns to address the NME higher level staff. "Our friends here are right busy, as they've already said. The finer points of musiccube modding might make for good conversation later." Jolene gives a concerned motherly face and pats Denny's back gently before her hand flutters back to her throat.

OOC: Jolene will likely give into her flustered state and bid a hasty exit with her group without answering where Dr. Nadir now lives. Useful cover, but she'll only recognize it after the fact.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 29, 2014, 11:48:13 AM
Trying to stay focused....

" Just a sec JoJO, you gotta see what these things can do "

OOC: Once the information if any is retreived from Ijima's desk Denny will  put away his tools and take JoJo's lead on the exit....
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 29, 2014, 05:01:30 PM
Denny:
You grasp the musicube in your hands and begin to fiddle with the tiny polygon. Iijima looks surprised, and slightly annoyed, but makes only minimal effort to stop you. "Oh, that's fine," she says, trying to wave you off. Music begins to play--pleasant, droning, ethereal. Not all aggro like churndrop. You (as well as Blinov) recognize this as cryptopop, and delicate trance style crafted by the Ssath. It almost sounds like gently dripping water at some parts.

Then your tool slides across something small on the cube's side opening, and the pleasant drone becomes an loud BZZZZTTTTT--you've accidentally amped the audio! Numen watches, seemingly amused as Iijima clasps her hands to her ears.

Sliding her chair from the desk, Iijma knocks a few folders on the office floor. In your secret scan of the desk, you don't see much. Something like finance ledgers--likely dealing with Numen's accounting error. Also, you spot the corner of something before it drops off the side of the desk--something resembling an x-ray of a bone.

Jolene:
Ran Iijima doesn't make out a single word you said. Numen seems to hear you, though, and nods genially. The guards poke their head in the office to inspect the loud noise, and stand at attention, but can see that there's no emergency, merely a musicube malfunction.

The sound begins to fade as the guards escort you from the office.

Blinov:
Numen looks at you and pats the x-cell prototype, reminding you to take it with you.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 29, 2014, 05:21:45 PM
" THANKS ALOT WE'LL KEEP YOUR OFFER IN MIND!!"  Denny yells back to Ijima as he is escorted from the room....

Once out of earshot of the guards and Numen he says

"Well talk about first impressions's, I'm sure we'll be hearing from them for some of those free-lance contracts..."

 He walks on as he hears Muffled Cryptopop Trance music coming from behind the closed door of Ijima's office...

"Well where to next?  Didn't you say you had somewhere to be JoJo?"

"Did you see that X-ray Pic on her desk...Wonder what that was all about?"

OOC: At the first opportunity I think we should go fill our airtanks, before all the business' close,as well as meet up with anyone yall met from your first trip here... and I'm pretty sure Denny wants to get his hands on some D4ad80G Ticket's first chance he gets, now that he has a little money to work with...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on June 30, 2014, 07:53:51 AM
As Blinov walks with the others he gives the x-cell prototype a quick appraisal. What condition is it in?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on June 30, 2014, 10:34:37 AM
You stop by a public bench to set the case down. When you open it, the x-cell prototype (http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120625053855/avp/images/e/e9/Lithium-Ion_Battery.jpg)  seems intact. Further examination is required to see if its still fully operational.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on June 30, 2014, 12:16:37 PM
"Hey Denny, can you just give this a quick look over so we know everything is as it should be?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on June 30, 2014, 01:33:09 PM
OOC:Postech Check=7

" yea give it here I'll take a look at it..."

Denny sets the X-cell down, and makes sure its grounded properly before tinkering with it, grabs his tool kit and starts to examine it
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on July 01, 2014, 05:54:49 AM
"I should have the schee-matics on my compad, let me fire it up and help make sure i's'all there." While digging through her bag, "Lord, Denny, what am I going to do with you. And in public no less." Fixing her compad and about ready to assist, she shoots him a look, "Wha'd'you think you were doin' back there? Cuz I sure as hell would like to know next time you feel the need to make a show. Least we could do is provide vocals and a tambourine."

Shakes her head, and sorta snort laughs, but tries to cut it short like she don't much care for being the fool. "Let's get to work before we refuel O2 tanks and grab lunch, now..."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 01, 2014, 11:11:17 AM
You all lean over the prototype as you compare it to the schematics from Jolene's compad. Everything seems to be in place, all parts accounted for--with an extra piece, in fact! Buried deep, deep within the x-cell there is a small, round item, about half the size of a musicube. It is metallic and iridescent with external wiring, and seems to be some sort of transmitter.

(OOC: Opa and Shipyard, I've added the 835cr to your wikis :D Now we'll subtract 115cr Each for the refill of oxygen at a local shop plus your lunches.)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on July 01, 2014, 05:13:21 PM
Blinov immediately signals for everyone to stay quiet. He writes "Is that a bug?" on his compad, shows it to Denny, and then says, "Well, looks like everything is in order, right?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 01, 2014, 06:49:03 PM
" Well ...JoJo, somethings get me a little over zealous...like Musiccubes..."

Diverting his attention to the extra piece, Denny tries to figure out it's purpose, And tries to gleam anything from his familiarity with Contemporary technology... remaining silent and typing back to Blinov,   IT COULD BE, and shows the Compad Message to Jolene
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 01, 2014, 10:10:36 PM
After a few tense moments of silence, you realize that the prototype is not wired for sound. This is not a bug, but a global positioning system. It blinks softly as you examine it, sending its signal back to its home base even now.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 02, 2014, 11:40:39 AM
" I don't think it's wired for sound... But someone knows our exact location... For his own safety I don't think we should take this thing back to the Doctor with us..., maybe we could take it somewhere out the way...throw em off the trail as it were"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on July 02, 2014, 11:53:54 AM
"No, we can't just ditch it, or they'll know we know, and that could get messy. I say we call the doc up on the compad right now, tell him what we found and see what he thinks."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on July 02, 2014, 12:40:33 PM
"Well I was thinking of visiting a certain farm in need after lunch, myself, if you two catch my meaning..." Jolene is looking devious, and it's a touch unsettling on her. "We got any stick 'um paste that'll adhere to a hard shell?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 02, 2014, 04:16:28 PM
" That could work, we could lure the would-be stalkers to the overrun Q weevil Farm...We should call the Dr. though"

Denny Dials the Good Doctor on the Compad and fills him in on the situation...everything up to this point and including the  Bone X-ray, which as he's speaking to the Doctor he realizes he forgot to tell his partner's about...ahh well hopefully they're listening in..
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 03, 2014, 03:08:48 AM
When you reach Dr. Nadir, his speech is a bit muffled through his breathing mask. He seems annoyed at NME's tracking device, though after spitting a few alien curse words, he calms down. "Perhaps I should've seen this coming," he laments briefly. "While NME has always been content with our business relationship in the past, it was only a matter of time before they'd try to get their hands on the Perimeter Base's secrets. Why, we have some things in the Gallery that I'm sure Iijima would gladly turn in to her daddy to get her promotion. Hell, maybe they really don't have some secret project to replace the x-cell, and this was all just a ruse to track down our lab!"

"A bone?" he asks when you mention the x-ray on the desk. "I…I'm not sure why NME would have anatomical x-rays. Unless you suppose those were private medical records, either of Iijima or some subordinate? Hm. If NME does indeed have a new secret energy project, perhaps there were worker injuries?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 03, 2014, 08:25:29 AM
Denny passes on the com pad conversation to his partners...

" Well I think that settles it, We need to get NME off our trail, I think we Go to the Qweevil infested farm, and lure whoever's tracking us right into a den of Qweevil's. Hopefully they'll exterminate them for us, and we'll have an opportunity after the fight is all out of them to confront them about what they're doing!, What about you guys, what do you think...then afterwards we can visit the Hospital and see if anyone from the new NME job site is in there on a work related injury?? "
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on July 03, 2014, 12:01:03 PM
"Sure, but that X-ray business got me thinking... I think we and the base staff should get ourselves X-rayed at the next opportunity. What if someone's been implanted with a bug of some sort?"

There's a twitch of paranoia in Blinov's eye.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 03, 2014, 02:44:07 PM
Denny looks like a deer in the headlight towards Blinov...says nothing, and just blinks...twice

" I don't think you have to worry about your body being bugged, Blinov...unless you have been having some problem's lately?? Was there ever a time when you lost track of time??"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on July 03, 2014, 05:58:07 PM
"... You know what, never mind. That's just the ignorant street urchin in me flipping out. Let's just go."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 04, 2014, 07:36:19 AM
" Never the less Street Urchin's are pretty smart... Maybe we should head back and get checked out...I just gotta pick up some concert tickets before we go!"

OOC: We can either drop the Transmitter off at the Qweevil farm on the way back and just leave back to base after that...or we can wait and confront whoever comes, doesn't matter to me....
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 06, 2014, 12:10:58 AM
You stop off at Dolly's for a quick lunch. She offers up some crispy fritters with Thalian herbs. YUM!

Tickets to the Deadhog concert are available at UnLocal, the club catering to offworlders. In an offshoot dome you find that the place is still quietly prepping for its evening business, but the girl at the front desk is selling tickets--well, the few tickets that are left. They run for 75 credits apiece. You see from UnLocal's marquee that S'MOOV is playing here tonight--they open for Deadhog at tomorrow's show.

Leaving the club, you catch a glimpse of Nia Tran, Blinov's old cohort from Shaddai, concert tickets in hand, hailing a shuttle bound for Jessup.

Before returning to the pick-up, you receive a ping on your compad. Aleksandr Turov is leaving Qetesh for a bit--something about those Marine vets murdered on Shaddai. He'll says he'll return when his business is concluded.

With all errands in Q-Town taken care of for now, you take a short drive to the Amity Family Farm. A young lady in overalls greets you, setting down her tools and emerging from an oxygen tent. She smiles eagerly at you through her translucent oxygen mask. "Are you the Perimeter Agents?" she asks. "I'm Katie Amity! I'm surprised Dr. Nadir responded so quickly--oh, a good kind of surprised, I mean! Please come in! The qweevils are riled up something terrible today!" she warns you, and ushers you into the farmhouse.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on July 06, 2014, 08:11:37 AM
Blinov buys the tickets and runs over to socialize with Nia before she rides off, paying special attention to see if her responses to his friendly but concerned queries betray any half hidden qualms. If possible he tries to get some street info while he's at it.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 06, 2014, 06:16:10 PM
Blinov:
Nia Tran is cheery, but…evasive. You notice she's carrying what looks like an overnight bag. She casually slips her concert tickets into her pocket as she speaks to you, trying not to call attention to them, but it's too late to ignore the tickets' bright red color. From what you saw listed at UnLocal, the red tickets are VIP passes, costing at least twice as much as regular tickets.

She shoots the breeze a bit. "Steer clear of the Golden Orb, it's still an active crime scene," she advises you, and shakes her head. "The bartender at the Prairie Dog says there's no way they're gonna catch the killer. It totally stinks of organized crime, if you ask me. Like the Bratva back home on Shaddai, remember?" she asks with a playful nudge. "But do they even have that on a world like Qetesh?"

She laments the fact that her shuttle to Jesup is about to leave, else she'd stay and chat longer. Nia pauses before entering the cab. She gives you a tight hug. "Take care of yourself," she says urgently, and then is shuttled away.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on July 07, 2014, 08:16:04 AM
When a few spare hours present themselves, Blinov would like to make discreet inquiries about where Nia is getting her money and how he can get in on the action.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 08, 2014, 09:23:49 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;765037
You stop off at Dolly's for a quick lunch. She offers up some crispy fritters with Thalian herbs. YUM!

Tickets to the Deadhog concert are available at UnLocal, the club catering to offworlders. In an offshoot dome you find that the place is still quietly prepping for its evening business, but the girl at the front desk is selling tickets--well, the few tickets that are left. They run for 75 credits apiece. You see from UnLocal's marquee that S'MOOV is playing here tonight--they open for Deadhog at tomorrow's show.

OOC: - 75 Credits for Denny's Ticket

With all errands in Q-Town taken care of for now, you take a short drive to the Amity Family Farm. A young lady in overalls greets you, setting down her tools and emerging from an oxygen tent. She smiles eagerly at you through her translucent oxygen mask. "Are you the Perimeter Agents?" she asks. "I'm Katie Amity! I'm surprised Dr. Nadir responded so quickly--oh, a good kind of surprised, I mean! Please come in! The qweevils are riled up something terrible today!" she warns you, and ushers you into the farmhouse.

Denny makes sure he grabs his revolver out of the truck in case any qweevil's get fiesty...

We'll wait for Blinov's scene with his friend to finish up before moving on to this...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 08, 2014, 10:44:20 AM
Blinov:

You ask around at Nia's regular haunts, at least those you are familiar with, and ask where she might be getting her steady credits. The Prairie Dog's barkeep thinks she has a sugar daddy in another dome, while some farmers lunching at Dolly's suspect she has something going with Newsun-Matsuri.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on July 08, 2014, 12:40:06 PM
Blinov pursues the Newsun-Matsuri theory with deeper inquiries around town using his precog powers to tell him when he's about to push his luck and stop asking questions. If necessary he'll spend a few credits and/or give the impression he's willing to do whatever kind of work Nia is willing to.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 08, 2014, 02:58:51 PM
Your search turns up a lot of deadends. Even discussing NME is a polarizing topic, and most folks just aren't tuned into any possible "job opportunities" NME may offer.

Finally, the Dance Hall yields a result, as a man in a workman's jumpsuit and a large black cowboy hat doesn't immediately squirm at the mention of NME. His voice is hoarse, almost unintelligible. "Dnce hll, thrree dyss frm nww. Bhh hrr," he grunts, pointing down to the floor, and gives you his contact info. "Nya Trn, sh wun uff mm grrls. Ull tkk gdd cur uyyu."

The day grows late, and no one else feels like discussing NME...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on July 08, 2014, 03:24:25 PM
Unless there's any objection from the group Blinov will try to make that appointment to rustle up more info. Let's deal with other issues for now.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 08, 2014, 04:32:43 PM
OOC: No problem at all with that..3 days at the dance hall I'm sure our wonderful GM/DM/ST whatever he is..will remind us...shall we move on or is there anything JOJO wants to finish up w/ in town?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 08, 2014, 05:52:19 PM
OOC: GMDMST works for me! ;) Or just GM heheh

By the way Shipyard, the raspy cowboy's contact info doesn't give his name, but a QNet user handle, TinyDancer33. Also I will indeed remind everyone when the time comes!
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 11, 2014, 03:39:48 PM
OOC: Any objections to moving on to the Amity Farmstead w/ the transmitter??
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 11, 2014, 09:07:02 PM
Katie Amity cheerfully leads you all into the farmhouse. As you enter, the "porch"--a front room with large ceiling-to-floor windows--is littered with pieces of pipe which look like they've been chewed and clawed up.

"This is...er, was our irrigation system," Katie laments, gesturing to the gnawed tubes. "Darn qweevils just eat through anything--I don't know what's gotten into them! They never used to come 'round, but something's got 'em all agitated..."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 12, 2014, 10:15:34 AM
Well Mrs. Amity, what do you think the problem is...have you started doing anything new around your homestead or your farm?

"Denny takes a look over the apparently broken Irrigation System"

OOC: Postech check on the irrigation system to see what it needs to fix

" Well do you mind if we take a look around and see if we can see anything out of the ordinary?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 13, 2014, 11:58:14 PM
"No, I can't say as I've done anything differently," Katie says, thinking hard. "Well, I guess lately I've noticed some sort of…rumblin', I guess? Figure it's from the spaceport, so what can you do? But ever since I noticed that slight trembling in the ground these qweevils have been coming up right into the fields!"

She shakes her head and throws up her hands. "Feel free to look all over if you need to…"

Denny:
Luckily, you've seen these exact kind of pipes all your life in your dad's shop! You recognize right away that the tubes are used in a system of "subsurface textile irrigation", where the H20 is fed directly into the soil. The drip emitter, which regulates the water flow, is totally broken open on this pipe. A simple patch won't do--it has to be resealed and re-installed…
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on July 14, 2014, 04:05:49 AM
"Rumblin'? That sure is strange for a peaceful farm like this. Has your family talked about a history of earth shakin' over the years? And can ya point out where've been the pipe damage, and over what time?" Jolene gives a sympathetic frown as she digs out her compad.

"If I can collect enough data, maybe a map of the farm with points where and when these qweevils been doin' harm, we can get a sort of pattern. And then hopefully the good doctor can research that and make sense of it." Opens up a new spreadsheet file to track time and place on tables, and a new voice record word file to quickly gather notes. "You happen to have a lot survey on file to help us make a map visual?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 14, 2014, 08:10:54 PM
" Yup, you got yourself a bad drip emitter... I could replace it for you but it will definately cost...of course there's no point in fixing it till the Qweevil situation gets resolved..let me just take a closer look"

OOC:As I look closer I'm going to try to find a way to conceal the Emitter into the Irrgation pipes, where it wont get noticed, or wet,or damaged or easily removed
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 15, 2014, 01:25:27 AM
Jolene:
Katie Amity looks at you thoughtfully. "History of shaking? No, not really. Daddy said that way back, hundreds of years ago like, you'd have occasional quakes. That was the qwurms, y'see. Big, giant things, that made all the tunnels beneath our feet. But since they went extinct…nope, no quakes in a long time."

She looks around the nearest desk. "Hmm. Survey stuff, huh? Daddy left for Clio on business, but he left behind a bunch of documents that might help you out." She finds a printout map of the farm, which is easily scanned into your pad.

Denny:
Hmmm…it seems you could hide the transmitter in the drip emitter. Before you reseal the dripper you could place the transmitter inside…

(OOC: I hope to have a diagram of the farm tomorrow!)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on July 15, 2014, 04:53:51 AM
OOC: I'll attempt to make sense of any pattern from where and when the qweevils damaged the pipes. Perhaps there is a general direction and rate of increase. Perception check, I assume. Let me know or roll it for me.

Also I will be researching any additional information about qweevils in order to set our client at ease.

{I still have to get back to the doctor, unload this data, and get ready for tonight's date. Lord, I hope Blinov chose a good nightclub, something that won't scare the bejeezus outta them. One where maybe I can shake them boys off onto some other sweet young things without guilt.

I'm sure he's just lovin' the mess I slipped into, too. Oh crap, and we gotta mind Denny! Goodness knows what he's liable to do during a night out on the town. He'd best not fiddle with the club's speakers or I'll be mortified something terrible.}

"Blinov, where do you sense we should start lookin' on this here Amity's farm?" Turning to Katie with a smile, "Or perhaps you got somethin' in mind that we should see next?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 15, 2014, 11:11:43 AM
Katie shakes her head. "No particular area of note, no...it's pretty much all bad," she explains, her smile beginning to fade. "We salvaged what crops we could...but the last two tents are a might crowded, and if the qweevils get to those, we might have to pull up stakes and head elsewhere."

"Oh...but when you're going about the tents...do watch your step, okay?"

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/OhSiris/AmityFarmFlat.jpg)

The trajectory of the infestation seems to be heading northeast, heading away from the Q-Town side of the farm. The rate doesn't seem to have increased, but the bugs are on a steady march.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on July 16, 2014, 05:45:22 AM
"That's odd. I don't think we know much about them migrating like that, so it tends to point towards Q-Town construction causing them to flee." Looks up in compad whether qweevils fleeing construction vibrations or generational migrations have been documented.

"Do they ever return to the same tent? If they don't it might mean they are heading on out of your area. But I am still worried about your house and generator in the way of the Northeast trajectory towards tents 4 and 5." Looks at Katie with mild alarm, "Goodness, what if there was another one?! A migration, I mean. Ooh, I'm giving myself the willies."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on July 16, 2014, 12:28:15 PM
Quote from: Opaopajr;769002

"Blinov, where do you sense we should start lookin' on this here Amity's farm?"


Blinov politely borrows a table knife, holds it to his forehead for two seconds, gives it a spin and drops in on the floor to see were it points.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 17, 2014, 11:20:49 AM
Blinov:
Katie holds her hand to her mouth, curious as to what you are doing. "Is that a seer's trick?" she whispers eagerly, then falls silent again to see the result.

The knife slows to a stop, pointing in the direction of Tent 2. When you glance out, you see a few qweevils--small ones--scurry there from Tent 3.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on July 17, 2014, 12:55:03 PM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;769995
Blinov:
Katie holds her hand to her mouth, curious as to what you are doing. "Is that a seer's trick?" she whispers eagerly, then falls silent again to see the result.

The knife slows to a stop, pointing in the direction of Tent 2. When you glance out, you see a few qweevils--small ones--scurry there from Tent 3.


"Looks like the direct course is clear folks... unless you feel an indirect course would be better?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 17, 2014, 05:06:25 PM
"Actually they don't seem to dangerous ... Kind of cute we'll just take a quick peek and see what we see"

When Katie isnt looking...Denny silently mouths and points towards the transmitter in the irrigation pipe... He the heads towards tent 2
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on July 17, 2014, 05:28:19 PM
"Eeek! They're so big! And look like those compad pictures of spiders, or crabs! Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!"

Jolene finally comes to her senses, just barely, to notice she somehow is kneeling atop the table, pointing at where the scurrying qweevils were outside, and clutching her mouth with her other hand.

With great embarrassment she looks at Katie Amity, perhaps seeking commiseration with her eyes, and then back to Blinov and Denny. She starts to slowly get off the table knowing all dignity is shot. "I just wasn't ready for that."

"But I guess we all better go. You stay here Katie, it should be safer inside." Jolene visibly shakes as she is putting on her backpack readying for the tent visit.

OOC: double checking my gear to see if I brought some glowbug lights or collapsible 10' rod, just in case.

EDIT: Yes! I left the telescoping pole in there. Unfortunately no glowbug lights. one out of two isn't so bad.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 17, 2014, 08:19:50 PM
Katie gives Jolene an understanding look. "Yeah, they...they can be kinda awful when you seem 'em the first time." As the trio exit the house, Katie puts the flat of the table knife to her forehead, her eyes crossing as she tries to replicate Blinov's psychic sensitivity.

All qweevils out and about scurry into the tents when the trio get close. They definitely seem smaller and more timid than you'd been led to believe.

(OOC: Did Jolene happen to keep Spanner's gifts (http://www.therpgsite.com/showpost.php?p=754735&postcount=144) with her? ;))
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on July 17, 2014, 08:23:39 PM
OOC: There is a chance Jolene left it in her backpack/purse, overly concerned trying to recoup what she could from her gravy. How about I let you 7+ it off 2d6? :) /crosses fingers.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 17, 2014, 11:26:30 PM
(OOC: I rolled it in the dice room. Oh, you just made it! hehe)

Jolene:
There at the bottom of your pack you find two small green gems, slightly wazy to the touch. There's a slight indentation on each of them, about the size of a pinky fingerprint.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on July 19, 2014, 03:03:00 AM
"Yes! I forgot about these. I got light, shorts to run in, and a prodding stick, I'm good to go." Whips out her telescopic rod and looks self-satisfied.

Then the dawning realization of getting closer to those qweevils returns. "Oh, OK... Um, how are we gonna do this?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 19, 2014, 11:43:38 PM
Waiting to be out of earshot of Katie.... Denny Says...

" Well, I think we should just get one specimen to take back with us to run those numbers and experiments on...after all if we wan't to do this right, and papa always said if theres a job worth doing its worth doing right we're gonna have to catch the queen and re-locate her. So I figure since your all gud with that science stuff we get us a specimen and see what we learn about thier natomy....Plus, this little farm might have some extra company soon anyway...maybe they'll exterminate them qweeviles fer us...."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on July 20, 2014, 01:15:45 AM
"But where're we gonna put it? And who's gonna touch it? And what do we feed it while we have it?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on July 20, 2014, 06:46:44 AM
"Can we bait it into a cage? Knock it out? What does the internet say about qweevil responses to common chemicals?"

Blinov is thinking of the way Trrarklilian bee-hawks slow down when exposed to smoke. He pulls out his compad and does a search for qweevil vulnerabilities.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 20, 2014, 04:54:37 PM
Blinov:
You find a small factsite about "bugs" and bug-type critters in Titan sector. It says that Trrarklilian bee-hawks and qweevils share many anatomical similarities (save the bee-hawks' flight and innate toxic sting). Perhaps they originated from the same species a long time ago?

It isn't known if qweevils grow lethargic when exposed to smoke as the bee-hawks do, however, as it's rare that they would encounter fire or smoke in their natural oxygen-limited environment. If someone were to test this, they could submit any findings to the site.

The tents may have further supplies to utilize...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 20, 2014, 11:35:20 PM
Denny checks out the un-occupied tent for any equipment that could be useful in setting a live-trap as well as anything that could be useful for bait.


" Ms Katie, mam what do you think these here things 'bin eatin? "
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 20, 2014, 11:54:46 PM
"See for yourself," Katie says with a wide sweep of her arm, gesturing as you enter the tent. There are half a dozen rows, evenly spaced, of tomato vines climbing up five-foot-tall wire fences. These tomatoes are of the Thalian variety (planet Thalia being famous for its native spices). Not only are these tomatoes tangy and plump, but they are also a dark rosy-purple hue.

"We tried to rescue as many plants as we could, which we had to move to the last two tents, or sell off in town, though they ain't quite ripe yet, so they don't fetch a good price," Katie explains. "The qweevils seem to love 'em."

As you enter the oxygen-filled farm tent, you see nibbled husks of purplish tomatoes at your feet. In the back corner you find a circular hole, about four-feet in diameter, jagged around the edges. In the corner closest to you is the remainder of a spool of wire fencing (http://www.fencing-farm-ranch.com/weldwire.jpg).

As you observe the hole, a tiny qweevil scurries up into the light, and upon seeing you immediately vanishes down the hole again.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on July 21, 2014, 04:42:57 PM
"Eeee! Sweet Jesus!" Jumps and turns around running in place until the wave passes.

"It just doesn't get better does it?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on July 21, 2014, 08:36:07 PM
"I say we build traps as a primary tactic and try the smoke as a secondary. At the very least we can contribute to science. All those in favor, shrug!"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on July 22, 2014, 01:13:50 AM
"Will a wince do?" Jolene mocks herself and asks, "Ok, so we can maybe lure it. But how're we gonna hold it? Especially since it can do that —" points back to the house, "— to irrigation pipes?"

"What if it eats through metal, too, and comes after us? Do we got anything besides flashlights and a telescopic rod, like more high tables?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 22, 2014, 03:17:56 AM
Katie Amity shakes her head. "Hmm...I haven't known a qweevil to chew through these wire frames, but I s'pose it might be possible." She drags a spool of wire closer to you.

"Still, if you cut it down to fit, you might be able to make it into something. If Daddy were home he might try to make a--"

Katie pauses as a slight vibration ripples beneath your feet. "Ooh! Feel that?" She leans against the nearest tentpost.

A chittering sound emanates from the burrow, gradually increasing. Just beyond the hole's entrance, it sounds like a swarm is gathering...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on July 22, 2014, 03:51:48 AM
Clutches onto Mrs. Amity, "Katie, we're in danger girl!" Freezes looking at the entrance hole.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 22, 2014, 10:58:46 AM
" Quick cover up the hole!"

Denny uses tables/chairs/wiring anything he can find to quickly cover up the hole...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on July 22, 2014, 08:06:25 PM
Blinov draws a weapon and prepares to shoot whatever emerges.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 24, 2014, 09:22:24 PM
You find a heavy metal work table along the south wall of the tent, flip it over and drag it to the jagged pit. Before you are able to cover the opening, a trio of qweevils skitter out--roughly larger than the little ones you saw earlier. With the clicking of their needle-like mandibles, you can tell there are highly agitated.

OOC: Roll 1d8+Dex modifier for Initative, please! Soldier Qweevil AC is 7, if you'd like to try an attack...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 25, 2014, 10:52:10 AM
After Denny throws the table over the hole he withdraws his revolver

"Try to keep one alive...We'll catch it"

OOC: initiative: 6
        1st Attack Roll: 20
Damage: 3 for the closest to me
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on July 26, 2014, 04:34:53 PM
[Rookie, could you roll my shot for me, I gotta run and I can't figure this device out!]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 26, 2014, 05:30:49 PM
OOC: Blinov'x Atk Roll =  16
Initiative: 4



(( ((   :( sorry buddy )) ))
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on July 26, 2014, 11:56:08 PM
Jolene is far more interested in keeping eye on the exits and holding down her own hysterics.

Initiative = 5 roll +1 DEX = 6.

"Jumpin' Jehosephat, it's even bigger close up!" Jolene starts backing up towards the exit with her telescopic rod out front and starts a building, unconscious laugh. "Katie, ha, you got a weapon honey?, ha ha, oh my God it's moving!, ha ha ha, or can you run?!"

OOC: Feel free to have fun with it, GM. Fear, composure, morale, whatever rolls, it's a "big vermin indoors" deep & universal domestic fear.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on July 27, 2014, 09:08:24 AM
Quote from: RookieRPG;772615

(( ((   :( sorry buddy )) ))


*Shrug* It happens.

Blinov jumps behind sturdy cover (anything that could hold a strong bug at bay), even at the expense of accuracy, and yells for the others to do the same if possible. He takes another shot at the injured bug, hoping that the scent of death and fear might scare the others away.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 29, 2014, 02:50:20 AM
Denny wings the closest soldier bug, damaging its right side severely. It snaps back at him with its tiny mandibles, but its right legs seems to be broken.

The two other guard qweevils skitter towards Blinov and Katie, who is trying to shield Jolene. Blinov leaps back, firing at one and missing, while the other circles Katie and Jolene fiercely.


"Eeh! Get back!" Katie screams. She rips the pocketknife from her belt and drops it square on the third qweevil--where it sticks in the critter's back with a barely audible FWOMP. The qweevil flutters friefly, then dies. "Oh jeez!" Katie squeals, clutching onto Jolene.

(OOC: Sorry for the delay! We have one dead qweez, one alive and kicking, and one severely damaged! Please declare actions for Round 2! Remember there's wire around too if you have need.)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on July 29, 2014, 05:06:45 AM
"Eeeeeee—!" Jolene loses her shit and tries to either a) hop atop the tallest, nearby thing she can see, humans included, or b) run out the room like her hair is on fire. Her high pitched screaming will continue regardless. She will likely have no recollection of this afterwards.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on July 29, 2014, 08:37:34 PM
Denny locks on to the alive and well qweevil

 Ooc: Atk= 24.  Damage = 1


" Someone try to grab that qweevil thats wounded... It looks like its legs are broken, we might be able to nurse it back to health and study it!"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on July 29, 2014, 09:30:12 PM
Quote from: RookieRPG;773280

" Someone try to grab that qweevil thats wounded... It looks like its legs are broken, we might be able to nurse it back to health and study it!"


Blinov looks around for a table cloth or tarp or other large swath of material to attempt to swaddle the qweevil with.

Also, how many psi points does he have right now? 2 or 1? If he still has two he spends one to determine if staying here will result in dire consequences.

If he's only got one point or if the portent is good, he'll try to grab the qweevil.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on July 31, 2014, 06:59:06 PM
Denny's shot easily dispatches the remaining uninjured qweevil.

Jolene springs upon the nearest wire roll, and when that topples over she scrambles for the exit. She brushes past Katie in her flight, jolting the farm heiress against the wall.

Blinov's attempts to grasp the wounded qweevil are unsuccessful at first, as it snaps at the psychic's hands with his mandibles, but once Blinov can approach the bug from behind it's much easier. The qweevil struggles against Blinvo's embrace, but is too damaged to wriggle free.

Congratulations! You've acquired a qweevil specimen!

Katie shakes her head as she limps towards Blinov. "He's just a baby," Katie says, her disgust tempered with sympathy. "We'd better get outta here quick, before more soldiers pop up…"

On the way back to the house, Katie turns to look off into the distance. "What sorta construction could be goin' on that would scare a qweevil herd so?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on July 31, 2014, 09:07:48 PM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;774147
"What sorta construction could be goin' on that would scare a qweevil herd so?"


"I don't know, but I'm increasingly eager to find out!"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on August 01, 2014, 07:23:10 PM
Denny, Heads back towards the pickup...

"Keep that thing under control now Blinov..It's a bit of a drive back to work"

Also going to make sure we're not being followed on the way back to the Permiter Agency....As Denny Examines the Qweevil

"What do you think JoJo can you figure out what makes these things tick?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 01, 2014, 09:59:12 PM
Blinov finds a tarp to swathe the critter in, and feels the bulbous little qweevil wriggle within his arms. Katie follows the group to the pickup truck. "Okay--well, good luck! I'll try to hold down the fort," she says nervously.

(OOC: The tracer is successfully planted within the irrigation ductwork, so there's a good chance anyone following you won't trace you back to Perimeter Base...)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on August 02, 2014, 09:02:01 AM
After recovering from looking stunned and very lost, Jolene returns to the group sheepish. Her body language is all apologies, but she's not much for talking. At the thought of Katie 'holding the fort' with more of those things, bigger than that baby one, she breaks her silence.

"Honey, I can't leave you here. That and I can't ride in a pickup truck with that thing right next to me in just a blanket. You got a truck of your own?"

Jolene busts out her compad and tremulously operates it to call up Dr. Nadir. "I know he has strict rules about guests, but you in danger girl. At the very least we go hit Dolly Q's for cheesecake to shake this off."

As the connection is going through (insert dial tone here) "Oh god! I got that thing tonight to go see about. Y'know Blinov, that thing. Oh gawd..." runs her hand through her hair as under stress, giving big eyes to Blinov.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 03, 2014, 09:52:58 AM
Katie Amity is clearly more shaken than she first let on, as it takes her a bit to remember her vehicle. "Oh...yeah! My truck's 'round the side, by the genny." It isn't quite as large as yours, but it will do.

Jolene:
Nadir seems to agree with your plan, with one proviso. "Please see that Ms. Amity is blindfolded. If you'd be so kind, Ms. Rydell."

"Well, looks like you're driving," Katie says, handing you the keys to her truck.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on August 03, 2014, 05:57:39 PM
"So sorry, honey. But I fear he needs his reasons." Gently tying the blindfold on, waving my hand before her face to double check. Leading Katie safely into the truck, "You know how danger finds you on Qetesh. But at least I can whip you up a bite as we do some research."

Lifts her blindfold a touch, smiling at her, "Did'ja wanna leave a voice message here at home for you and yours? I know I'd be worried if I came back to see it empty and recently disturbed. Something like, 'we took you during a dangerous qweevil rumble to see one safely secured, and will bring you back as soon as possible.'"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 04, 2014, 10:49:04 AM
Katie shakes her blindfolded head. "It's all right--the folks won't be back from Clio for a few days, I reckon..."

You return to Perimeter Base, Denny and Blinov with the baby qweevil in their truck, and Jolene driving Katie in the Amity Family truck. You enter through the garage, where the full roster of Perimeter Base employees greets you.

Dr. Ling gently removes Katie's blindfold. "Is anyone injured?" she asks the group. As always, the containment-suited physician has her cart of med supplies handy.

Dr. Nadir approaches in his wheelchair. From behind him, Modia emerges hoisting a fish-tank-looking cage. "Welcome back," Nagesh Nadir greets after a brief coughing spell. "I see we have guests." He gestures to Katie and the qweevil. "I'll leave it up to you to decide who gets inside the cage..."

Spanner shakes his head and takes the cage from Modia. "Don't scare Ms. Amity, boss! She may regret hiring us," the young mechanic says, and places the qweevil in the case.

After a clearly impressed Spanner and Modia congratulate you on taking a live specimen, they move it to the Lab to be examined at your convenience.

Jolene:
It is getting late, but you can still make it to the clubs tonight if you wish!
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on August 04, 2014, 05:43:41 PM
"That was a bit of a scare, sorry you had to see me like that Katie dear." Jolene shudders, "They are just so creepy crawly! Ew!"

"Which reminds me, I got an obligation with Blinov tonight. Let me see you to a guest room and get you a chance to rest."
---------

"Blinov!" Hurrying up to where he is with her shower basket and bathrobe. Sets it down and starts to do up her hair to avoid getting all wet, "Be a doll and be ready in 20. I gotta go fulfill my made-too-fast promises."

"Golden Orb to meet the youths and quickly out, 'cuz all that scrutiny'll kill the evening. Then off to wherever club, 'cuz I trust you. Owe you one!" Smooches forehead like a sibling and heads off to get ready.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on August 04, 2014, 08:17:15 PM
Blinov prepares for the club scene, but doesn't leave without a cool looking little backpack in which he keeps his most portable medical and adventuring supplies. Hey, you never know.

[Jo, was there anything else you wanted me to have ready just in case?]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on August 04, 2014, 09:51:17 PM
"You guys mind if I tag along? I'm not much of a partier, but I'll sit in the back and just keep an eye on things..."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on August 04, 2014, 11:15:34 PM
OOC: Jolene will say it's OK about Denny. But will defer to Blinov's nightlife judgment. Outside that — and her pack w/ compad, swapped out xeno-glowbug for regular glowbug, & telescopic rod — she can't think of what else.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 05, 2014, 12:34:33 AM
Modia, being a sleepless robot, stays up all night, staring at the qweevil curiously. Drs. Ling and Nadir retire to their respective rooms. Spanner replaces your O2 tanks before you head back to town.

Katie rests easily in one of the guest rooms. "Y'all have fun!" she says. "I'm not cut out for the club scene..."

A moment to recall Blinov's club knowledge:
The Dance Hall, which is frequented by farmhands and other laborers, is probably the most popular and active with locals. There is UnLocal, a nightclub in the offshoot dome near the amphitheater, which mostly caters to offworlders and immigrants (this is the club in which Denny and Blinov purchased their tickets for tomorrow's concert).
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on August 06, 2014, 12:17:43 PM
Blinov's plan is to scout the scene ahead of Jo and make sure the vibe is safe, pick up a few useful rumors, then keep an eye on her from a distance just in case anything needs intervention.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on August 06, 2014, 08:18:17 PM
"To the Golden Orb, boys!" She looks as nice as can be, but is really making the effort to rein back her 'Daisy Duke' tease, as she wants the Acherai guys to have fun but not think of her as easy or a prostitute. Ideally she wants to pawn them off to others at the club, just in case they are boring or suspicious.

"With you two in tow, and those farm boys we'll pick on up, we best hit a hen house with all you roosters! I'm countin' on you Blinov." As she walks to the garage, "Mind your manners now, a lady likes to feel special and respected."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on August 07, 2014, 12:43:11 AM
Denny also spruces up, he puts on his Deadhog shirt that "DOESN'T" have grease monkey stains...

" Oooh alrighty then, Golden Orb here we come...."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on August 07, 2014, 08:29:42 AM
I'll once-over Denny & Blinov to make sure they cut an image I'd like. Jolene won't be able to help herself from to doing a last minute fuss (style down a hair colic, spot check for smudges/missed shaving cream/powder marks, aligned belt buckles and evened collars, etc.). "Jus' get over here already! Let me have a look'a'chew."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 07, 2014, 12:27:07 PM
After all the essential primping, you arrive back at Q-Town's Golden Orb to meet Montour and Baldwin. The lobby's message board has not been updated. There is a cop sitting in the lobby, perhaps part of the ongoing investigation. Other than the officer, the first floor is quiet. Even Magnus the bartender seems to be having a slow night in the Lounge.

After a few minutes, the boys from Asherah descend the stairs. Baldwin seems eager to see Jolene of course. Montour is a little more subdued, but he smiles politely.

"Where to?" Baldwin asks eagerly.

(OOC: Easy way to distinguish them which just came to me! MontOUR ends in O-U-R like "dour" and "sour"--he's the hesitant/petulant one. BaldWIN ends in "win", because he seems relatively "OMFG let's do this!")

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/OhSiris/MontourBaldwin.png)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on August 07, 2014, 05:24:44 PM
Quote from: Opaopajr;777056
I'll once-over Denny & Blinov to make sure they cut an image I'd like.


Blinov gets slightly prickly when anyone tries to police his appearance, especially when he's taking said anyone into his scene.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on August 08, 2014, 04:21:06 AM
Quote from: Shipyard Locked;777248
Blinov gets slightly prickly when anyone tries to police his appearance, especially when he's taking said anyone into his scene.


Jolene's in total mom mode and wouldn't acknowledge it a whit. She's had too many brothers and male cousins to fuss over. And she fussed over them both big and small throughout her growing up.

However, it is totally dependent on how Blinov appears. If he's dirty & slovenly then there will be fussin'.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on August 08, 2014, 11:28:45 AM
Once our clothing and apparel are approved  :)

Denny takes a seat at the bar, and orders a Q'oors Light...he makes some small talk with the Bartender but keeps a close eye on His comrades and thier "friends"

"So barkeep, anything ever come up after all that fuss earlier?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 11, 2014, 12:49:59 PM
Denny:
Magnus sighs as he greets Denny and brings him a Q'oors Light. "The cops were swarming all day yesterday. As you can see, it didn't affect my business at all!" he says loudly, his voice echoing in the empty lounge. "I think they're keeping a lower profile investigating now, but they've done their damage. A lot of people are looking for other lodgings. Heh. And the Golden Orb was supposed to be the safest place to stay in Q-Town--not the place where people get murdered!"

Jolene and Blinov:
"Uh, you look n-nice," Baldwin tells Jolene, trying hard to keep his mouth closed. Montour crosses his arms and nods in quiet agreement. "So, where to huh? I've never been anywhere, um, fun."

"Fun, of course, is also outlawed on Asherah," Montour notes.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on August 11, 2014, 08:46:07 PM
Blinov stays extremely inconspicuous when following them of course. Wouldn't want the boys to spot him and get the wrong impression.

[Also, this is lucky post number 777 for me. If you believe in that sort of thing.]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on August 11, 2014, 10:22:47 PM
Denny

" Yea you don't here bout Dem murdering people round here much...I guess times are a changing, all the RIF-RAF are coming in off the streets..., or maybe it's something else...what do you think??"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on August 12, 2014, 01:43:07 AM
OOC: I don't remember if we are going to The Dance Hall or UnLocal first. I assume Blinov suggested which order. And I also assume Jolene would angle the conversation to get the Asherah guys onto the clubs.

Jolene wouldn't know how to explain Blinov being aloof at the Golden Orb, or why Denny is with me. But I guess she could whip up a lazy shrug as if this is perfectly normal before partying. I'd want to get out to the clubs ASAP, to avoid law scrutiny and to have more time and options just in case I need to foist these two on other women.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on August 12, 2014, 06:02:33 AM
Quote from: Opaopajr;778725

Jolene wouldn't know how to explain Blinov being aloof at the Golden Orb...



[Oh, I assumed they didn't KNOW I was there, that this was a covert thing.]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on August 12, 2014, 04:59:17 PM
Quote from: Shipyard Locked;778771

[Oh, I assumed they didn't KNOW I was there, that this was a covert thing.]


[Oh! Then we would have communicated beforehand where we should go, right? Oops! My bad.

Actually, then I would be seen with 3 different men in the space of two nights. That would definitely cement my cheap impression, and possibly raise suspicion with the law. That and the Golden Orb is rather empty, so you'd have to be waiting outside or the fringes to be unseen.

Nah, that'd likely be dangerous. It would attract too much attention. You can look cool, especially at the club, but please look present and accompanying me. Owe you one.]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on August 13, 2014, 05:11:39 PM
Quote from: Opaopajr;778979
[Oh! Then we would have communicated beforehand where we should go, right? Oops! My bad.

Actually, then I would be seen with 3 different men in the space of two nights. That would definitely cement my cheap impression, and possibly raise suspicion with the law. That and the Golden Orb is rather empty, so you'd have to be waiting outside or the fringes to be unseen.

Nah, that'd likely be dangerous. It would attract too much attention. You can look cool, especially at the club, but please look present and accompanying me. Owe you one.]


Roger, let's roll.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 13, 2014, 07:30:18 PM
Denny:
"Times changing, eh?" Magnus replies. "Heh. I wish it was just the march of time. If you ask me--wait a minute, you did ask me! I'd say things started getting shadier in our sunny dome the minute a certain corporation arrived. Sure, they create jobs, but there's a certain brand of crime that goes where the money is, you know. And anywhere Newsun-Matsuri pops up, it's going to be like that, I guarantee."

Off to the club!
Baldwin and Montour each take one of Jolene's arms and the trio head to UnLocal, the hottest club for the visiting offworlders and the trendiest Qeteshi natives. They are followed stealthily by Denny and Blinov. (Rookie and Shipyard, please make Stealth rolls…)

UnLocal is buzzing tonight. As advertised, DJ S'MOOV is working her musical magic from the spherical DJ booth, working the crowd into a frenzy. There is one area of the dance floor not crowded--it seems to be a bunch of kids cheering on a dance-off. In the opposite corner there's a mass of people chanting, "Drink! Drink! Drink!"

The boys' eyes widen. "Oh…I…" is all Baldwin can utter. Montour nervously doesn't say a thing.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on August 13, 2014, 08:25:26 PM
Decoupling from their arms, I step forward, turn and face them both, arms akimbo and a warm smile. "First lesson: The challenge, when new to pleasurable things, is to not let it all out all at once." She tests out her country refinement, enjoying the advice's double entendre.

Back to down home easy warmth, "But who am I to stop you from letting loose?" I return to my place between them and slip my arms back into theirs. "This place is a bit more city, so we're in the rough and heather now." Pointing with my head to the bar, "I'm feeling a touch parched myself. A lemony Gimlet'll help with that. Let's practice what y'all already learned at the Golden Orb, so you can ease in comfortable like."

(Lets the boys order for me, and will help if they are having some trouble, otherwise leaning against the bar waiting, looking cool, and scanning the crowd. Checking to spot Blinov & Denny.)

Once I have my drink I'll sidle them to a niche where we can chat above the din. "You done good! You'll be like world travelers in no time. Savor your drink, 'cuz you're testin' the waters of the crowd and decidin' what yer gut wants to do. Look around, but don't linger, and a light smile won't kill ya. Ain't that right, Montour? Side of yer eyes, like so, if you want another good look at somethin', or someone..."

Sets the drink aside and affectionately hooks my arm on Baldwin, addressing him first then changing my look to Montour to include him, "Next step is learnin' to flirt on your own with all these pretty ladies present. We can't be together forever, you bein' world travelin' guardsmen and all. So we gonna make what time we have count.

"I'm gonna get you feelin' the rhythm here, starting with a bob o' yer head and a tap o' yer feet, and then I'll test out yer dancin'. If you can talk nice, stay interestin', and can move a little to the beat, we'll get that leadin' man outta you that any woman would want."

Leans in conspiratorially for them all to huddle and hear, "If you're missin' the feel o' home, though, there's the Dance Hall where we can take things slower like. Learnin' a good time, like a good thanksgiving feast, should not be rushed now. Just say the word and we shift gears onto somethin' more familiar."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 13, 2014, 09:48:21 PM
Jolene:
"Guardsmen? Heh," Montour mutters. He says something else that is hard to hear over the OONTZ-OONTZ-OONTZ OF DJ S'MOOV's funky alien beat. However, he does smile slightly when you make the suggestion.

Baldwin nods vigorously. "Yeah...yeah! Okay," he says, focusing hard on the music. He tries to "bounce", as you said. "C'mon," he says to Montour, and they leave your side to get lemony gimlets at the bar.

While they are nearby but still within shouting distance, you scan the crowd for Denny and Blinov...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on August 14, 2014, 08:42:30 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;779373
Denny:
"Times changing, eh?" Magnus replies. "Heh. I wish it was just the march of time. If you ask me--wait a minute, you did ask me! I'd say things started getting shadier in our sunny dome the minute a certain corporation arrived. Sure, they create jobs, but there's a certain brand of crime that goes where the money is, you know. And anywhere Newsun-Matsuri pops up, it's going to be like that, I guarantee."


"Well Nice chatting Magnus heres 10 Cred's keep the change for a tip...I gotta bust out"

OOC: Stealth Roll =12   in Rolz room " stars without number "  Denny must be feeling extra sneaky today
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on August 15, 2014, 08:25:23 AM
[somebody roll stealth for me? The computer I use at work keeps getting temperamental.]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 15, 2014, 12:07:26 PM
(OOC: Rolled a 5 for Stealth in the room. Sorry! :o I'll have more to post later tonight!
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 16, 2014, 08:31:25 PM
Jolene:
There's no sign of Denny. Hopefully he was able to catch up after stopping to chat with Magnus at the bar. You scan the busiest part of the crowd and spy Blinov. He blends in pretty well, actually, but there's not telling if the boys saw him, or if they'd even remember him from yesterday.

Montour and Baldwin return with drinks in hand, and Baldwin hands one to Jolene. It looks pretty much like what you ordered, though you give it a sniff and do suspect the bartender skimped on the gin. Probably thought these obvious rookie clubbers wouldn't notice, and he'd be correct on that.

Montour sips his drink and looks over in Blinov's direction. "Hey…isn't that your friend over there?" he asks. "What happened to the other one…the big, military type?" he asks curiously. Baldwin gives Montour an embarrassed look, but Montour shrugs.

"Thanks for taking us out, miss," Baldwin tells Jolene. "Work's been so crazy lately. It's nice to spend some time above ground--err, I mean around town. Not that we don't love the work, but…yeah, like I said. It's just nice."

Blinov:
You're standing out in the crowd. While it doesn't help your stealth any, it certainly doesn't hurt your chances to score. A long smooth arm bursts from the crowd and pulls you to the center of the dance-off circle. A tally wiry girl with short spiky hair grins widely at you. She's obviously more than a little intoxicated. "DANCE!" she says playfully, but it comes out like a hoarse scream. She hands her drink to her friends and points to the floor. She does a few fancy little kicky moves, the looks at you expectantly. Will you partake in the dance challenge?

Denny:
UnLocal is booming, DJ S'MOOV's set is magical. You catch a glimpse inside the DJ's spherical pod, which is pulsing with colored strobe lights. You'd think it would be hard to focus in such a hyperactive environment, but S'MOOV herself looks quite focused on her music. She pops out of her pod and hands the music selection over to a sidekick, then saunters right past you to get a drink. Her outfit looks like a military flight jumpsuit with tiny sequins all over it.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on August 16, 2014, 10:14:48 PM
"Oh, him? He's like a brother to me. I asked him this favor, as he's much better at these scenes than I am, as I'm a little country if y'noticed." Sips the watery gimlet, makes a face of minor disapproval, "This drink reminds me of a lesson..." Sets it down and keeps a hand delicately upon it.

"But first: yeah, he's keepin' an eye 'cuz a lone woman never really knows with two guys. I'm sure you two are complete gentlemen," Jolene pets Baldwin's arm affectionately, "yet the danger is still there. And in the big, wide galaxy personal precaution is a great thing to remember."

"As for my other friend, don't you tell him, but we have almost a father-daughter relationship. I guess those who saw the 'service' never really lose that protective sense. Which reminds me..." grabs glass to take another watery sip, "He likes his drinks strong, like you may remember last time. Wouldn't really find this place to his liking as he watched." Which may be true for all Jolene knows qt the moment.

"These places can skimp on the sauce, if you're not in the know. You done good however, just getting there and back without incident. You'll learn soon enough, and making friends with the bartender is never a bad idea. Then you can get stronger drinks, among other advice..."

"I'm having fun too, boys! I'm gonna let you absorb the scene a bit and watch you catch the groove. When either of you is ready we'll try out your moves on the floor." Flashes a smile to both, "And soon you'll be ready to fly strong and free from the nest of Asherah! Well, until y'all want to settle back on down from all this excitement to Asherah's warm, family bosom." Winks a conspiratorial smile to both, as though she made a friendly joke.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on August 18, 2014, 08:25:07 AM
Blinov glances over to Jo to make sure she'll be ok for a few minutes, then responds to the dance challenge with a sequence of smooth yet robotic moves in the vein of the Korean club scene from 21st century earth.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 19, 2014, 11:14:11 AM
Blinov:
The girl is astonished by your moves. "They don't dance like that in Q-Town!" she squeals drunkenly. "Like, where are you even from?" She totters on her heels as she stumbles towards you. "Hey hey hey--you should challenge Dexter!" Her similarly drunken friends cheer in agreement. ""He's like...a dance master! I'd even bet money on you!"

Jolene:
As the boys down their drinks (and their refills, and Baldwin wants to go back for yet another refill) they begin to relax even more. Montour seems surprised at his own good time. "This…this is all right. I hate to think about going to work tomorrow," he hisses.

(Shall we fast-forward through this wild evening? Any specific goals for the night?)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on August 19, 2014, 11:40:48 AM
((ooc:  None for me, just here to back up the partier's...we might try to get more information on NME's project if they're feeling a little loose tongued now that they've had some booze ))

AS the DJ goes up to the bar, Denny says to the bar tender - "that one's on me!"

As he approaches he says

"Nice beats Smoov, You coming to the Deadhog's tommorow night? I love their new single "Binary Pork". It set's me in a certain mood...."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on August 19, 2014, 01:39:40 PM
Blinov looks back at Jo to make sure she's still good and accepts the dance challenge casually, making it clear that he will be unfazed (or at least act that way) whether he wins or loses. Note that he does not drink or take any mind-altering substances while "on the job", so he won't let himself get too distracted from his watch.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on August 20, 2014, 06:35:39 PM
"Sorry to hear that, Montour dear. Just try to let loose a bit. A good dance gets a lot of that pent up stress in the body, makes you all happy like, flushed faced and free. 's why us women love it — sometimes more than men, I think."

"Come, let's test out your moves on the floor. If you find yourself movin' about, maybe facin' a different pretty young thing, go with it and say hi. Let's get you dance happy first, then see how people'll warm to you."

My big goal would be to have them have a good time. It would be like kicking puppies to take advantage of them to get into NME basements. And without Alexsandr for weapons backup, futile as well.

If Baldwin is more interesting than his naïf impression, and he's willing to spill about NME activities while under the sauce — while Montour finds a partner on the dance floor — then I will gladly be a listening ear. But I won't take advantage of them any more than a few drinks and a visible entourage. For now.

I will also be interested in shifting them to the Dance Hall at some point, perhaps later evening, to see how they fare. I want to read where they are more comfortable. Some "roll social X" involved for that can be handled by the GM.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 21, 2014, 04:14:18 AM
Denny:

"Yeah, I'll be there," S'MOOV replies coolly. Her speaking voice is layered and synthesized, and her irises flicker gold and orange depending on how they catch the strobing lights. "Should be a fun time. If you like 'Binary Pork', you might like his new stuff. He's debuting his new album tomorrow…but it's kinda a surprise!" She pressed a finger to her lips. "Don't tell anyone!"

"By the way...thanks for the drink!"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 21, 2014, 05:22:06 PM
Blinov:
The man the club kids call Dexter emerges from the crowd--tall and rail thin, even taller than the spiky-haired girl. His body is covered in illuminated tattooos, and he looks at you with a crooked cocky grin. He cracks his fingers and does a few stretches. As he extends his arms to his sides, you can hear the faint whirring of servos.

"Okay, little man. Dance off time," he smirks. "Let's see who the crowd goes wild for tonight!"

He begins to dance, and first his moves seem simple. Soon--without warning--he is breakdancing all across the floor and spinning on his head. For a brief moment he resembles a human tornado!

You attempt to match him move for move, but it's a bit hard to keep up…

(Please make a Physical Save! Roll higher than a 13 :D Since its been a while since we rolled, Rolz room is "stars without number")

Jolene:
Montour reluctantly finds his way to the dancefloor, and you lose sight of him for a while. Baldwin stares at you dreamily, absentmindedly squeaking his forefinger on the side of his glass.

"It's not what you think, you know," Baldwin says slowly. There's a touch of tipsy in his voice, but not overly so. "We're not NME's hired goons. Like, I know I probably come off as a mysterious tough guy, but I'm not a guardsman." He tries to flex a muscle, failing spectacularly.

"Heck, I was astonished that Newsun-Matsuri was even hiring medics, but lucky for me and Monty studying medicine is one thing that's actually legal on Asherah…"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on August 22, 2014, 03:38:22 AM
OOC: Aww, I feel bad. I was going to dance with him on the dance floor... Oh well, I should describe things better.

"Ooh, combat medics! Handsome devils, holdin' out on me." Winks and clinks his glass with mine, and then takes a sip, "Your secret 's safe with me." Looks at Montour getting along on the dance floor, "Sorta feel bad 'bout sending him out fresh and new like that, like a spring chick. Think he'll spread his wings and fly? I might have to swoop in and rescue him in a bit, though I wanna give him a chance."

Touches his hand absently with the back of her drinking hand, glass in hand, "You'll let me know if you think he needs my help sooner, yeah?" Absently lets her knee press next to his leg.

"So no fun, but studying allowed. Heh. Wonder how Asherah ends up with families with only study groups."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on August 22, 2014, 10:38:08 AM
" OH, you're totally welcome... ,"

Order's a drink for himself.

"How long have you been doing this kinda thing? Is it your full time job or just on the side?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on August 22, 2014, 12:10:06 PM
[Got a 20 in "stars without number"]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 23, 2014, 12:19:22 AM
(Holy dance-battle Batman that's good Shipyard!)

Jolene:
"Eh, he'll be fine," Baldwin insists. "Montour's pretty good under pressure. Like, just today in surgery…he's ice cold. Hands so steady! I don't know how he stays so calm. Especially since th' boss doesn't tolerate screw-ups. Well, you met her, so you know!"

Montour makes an awkward turn into a trio of ladies, knocking one's drink to the floor. She curses at him in Russian and she and her friend storm off, leaving the Asheran medic bewildered.

"Yeah, on second thought, you might have to go rescue him," Baldwin suddenly agrees after assessing his buddy's dancefloor situation. "I would, but I don't wanna give him the wrong idea. He's totally in love with me," Baldwin notes casually, and takes a large gulp of his fourth gimlet.

Denny:
You spend the night chatting with DJ S'MOOV. She says she originally hails from Velorum, which resides in Concordat space, but she is quick to insist that she doesn't care about politics or the cold war between Concordat and the Protectorate. All she cares about is the music, which was her ticket offworld.

After leaving Qetesh she explains the Deadhog tour is heading to the Capital System for concerts on Atlas and Adonis, but then she's probably going to take a break for a while. "It might be my last tour, but I don't know," she adds with a sad shrug.

Blinov:
You can't pull off a lot of the cyber-enhanced moves that Dexter can manage, but you keep up ably. So much so, that you win the crowd over. The spiky-haired girl that roped you into this winds up the crowd. Exhausted, you finish your dance, and Dexter has been pretty well owned, stylistically if not physically.

"Damn little man--you have some balls," Dexter sighs, and walks away as the crowd drowns him out. The spiky-haired girl offers to buy your drinks for the rest of the night.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on August 23, 2014, 11:15:00 AM
Blinov looks back at Jo to make sure things are still cool. "I'll take a hibiscus-flavored StagePhage soda then. No alcohol. What's with Dexter's cybernetics?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on August 23, 2014, 11:56:41 AM
Denny puts a hand on Smoo'vs shoulder, and moves a little closer

"Why do you say that, you can't give up music...no way, You'll regret it forever...If I could jam I would...but all that I was given is these hands to fix things...so  I make the most of them...You can speak to thousands, even millions...is there something going on at velorum that would make you consider giving it up?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on August 23, 2014, 04:57:03 PM
"Probably easy to seem cool under pressure when you're as tightly wound up as a leash pole lashed with a pack of rat terriers in a granary during harvest." Sets her glass down and shares a sympathetic look with Baldwin, "Yeah, I better go help. Now don't go on doing anything I might do." Chuckles at her own joke and heads off to Montour.

Trying to arrive to Montour's back, "Hey there tall, dark, and handsome, care to give me a dance?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 24, 2014, 02:23:32 AM
Blinov:
The girl crinkles her nose playfully. "Hibiscus? Really? I like honey-lavender myself," she explains, and gets your StagePhage. When you're both leaning at the bar drinking, she looks over at Dexter. "Him? Dex got upgraded on Humbaba, if you're lookin' to re-spec. Though, eh, I dunno exactly how legal it was, but PSSHHH!" She sloppily spits part of her drink. "Legal's nothin', right? If you wanna get cyberware: Humbaba, boy…"

Denny:
"You're telling me! Music is my life!" she says with a synthesized sigh. S'MOOV gives you a confused look when you touch her shoulder. When you mention Velorum, she has an expression best described as "that awkward moment when you realize you've overshared." She stands and begins to walk back to her DJ pod, pausing to turn back to you. "If you're going to the concert tomorrow…maybe I'll see you. Come find me after," she says cryptically, and returns to spinning some beats.

Jolene:
Montour looks up to you. "You mentioned another place…a Dance Hall? Eh…maybe it would be more…" He trails off, looking completely lost. Maybe it’s the alcohol or it could be your persistent softness towards him, but Montour's softened towards you noticeably.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on August 24, 2014, 04:59:18 AM
"You're gonna get attitude thrown at you anywhere in life. The trick is being like a duck to water and let it just roll off your back." Grabs his hand gently and moves him to the dance floor. "And now feel the groove, let go a spell." Tries to get him to find the rhythm.

"Close your eyes, slow down your mind, feel it in your gut and heart." Taps out the rhythm alternating between his tummy and chest. "Move to that, it knows what it wants. Listen, feel, a clarity in the chaos. Let the music take control. Dance." As he starts dancing, gently back away and assess.

OOC: Insert "Strictly Ballroom" and C+C Music Factory references here. :D
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on August 24, 2014, 06:56:04 AM
To Smoov

"You bet..."

Denny, then takes a gander throughout the area...making sure nothing odd is going on, and watches JoJo putting on the groove
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on August 24, 2014, 08:57:17 AM
Blinov mentally reviews his Tech/Medical knowledge of Humbaba's legal medical operations and products. Does it generally have a good reputation? If not, he'll share his low opinion of that planet's services with the girl (what's her name by the way?) in the smug tone of the professionally informed.

By the way, can I retroactively ponder what I saw of Dexter's cyberware, figure out exactly what it does and how well?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 26, 2014, 01:07:04 PM
Jolene:
Montour looks down at his stomach as you tap to the beat. He begins to move more comfortably, but it takes a while.

Blinov:
The girl insists you call her Venus. She and Dexter and their small cadre of young clubbers traveled to Qetesh from Clio, where their parents are bankers (she doesn't hesitate to brag). They started following Deadhog's tour when it began on Clio, went to Thalia, and now to Qetesh. They plan on following it to Atlas and Adonis when it leaves as well. They have VIP passes for every concert, but clearly they have the creds to spare to do so. Venus flashes a red passcard proudly.

Dexter's cyberware isn't externally visible except for the 1-inch wide strip of exposed wiring around his bicep, but this is likely for fashion (think of it as the "tribal tat" of 3200). You can hear the servos however, and Dexter seems to like letting people hear his augmented muscles working. Your technical guess is twitchlock actuators implanted in all limbs to greatly improve coordination. You know these to be really expensive, never mind buying four of them.

From your medical knowledge you know Humbaba's public reputation--its home to some of the premiere medical facilities in the sector. However, your criminal experience has also clued you in to the other side of Humbaba's rep--the seedy medical underbelly of dangerous high-risk cybernetics, possibly even maltech. Humbaba lies outside Protectorate jurisdiction, and answers to no one.

Humbaban medical professionals have a custom of wearing masked biosuits in public, removing them only in the privacy of their own homes.

Denny:
As S'MOOV takes over for her assistant and the music changes, you scan the room to see Jolene giving dancing lessons and Blinov drinking with a willow girl with spiky hair.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on August 27, 2014, 12:31:46 PM
Denny heads out to the Dance floor... And finds a spot next to JoJo and her 'date'... He tries to make a fool of himself dancing
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 28, 2014, 12:36:52 AM
Denny:
At trying to be a dancing fool, you totally succeed. Blinov's new friend Venus actually goes out of her way to walk over and stare at your insane moves. She says nothing, just watches in mortified awe. When you lock eyes with her and refuse to look away while doing "running man", she gets skeeved out and retreats back to her clique.

The scene begins to break up a little post dance-off, and you all make your way to the Dance Hall, a more dressed-down spot with a downhome local flavor.

At the Dance Hall:

Jolene:
You see a lot of folks you know, lots of farmers and friends. Montour seems to like the atmosphere. Baldwin seems to like it too, but he's a bit too drunk to express as much coherently.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on August 28, 2014, 07:17:35 AM
Blinov engages in friendly conversation with the clique until the other members of the party are ready to go, then excuses himself with the promise he'll see them at the concert.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on August 28, 2014, 02:33:34 PM
Denny takes it easy at the next place...he mostly keeps to himself off to a little table in the corner... JoJo will probably have his ass if he keeps up the hot dance moves
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 04, 2014, 03:44:05 AM
The night continues without incident. Montour watches his alcohol intake, but Baldwin, lightweight that he is, seems a bit wrecked. Familiar face after familiar face approaches Jolene at the Dance Hall. Blinov and Denny see no recognizable or notable faces, having found more social success at UnLocal. This is Jolene's home turf now, and it's plain to see.

(The night of drinking and dancing ends--it quite late--or early, depending on your view. Where to next? Home?)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on September 04, 2014, 05:15:01 AM
Did I spy anyone I knew taking a fancy to Baldwin? Might be useful to unload him in the future but keep him in my circles. If he's wrecked I'm not going home with him. I'll politely decline and seek Montour's help, as he is his friend. In fact, I will compliment him on being such a good friend to one so plastered (along with if he had fun, who caught his eye, etc.).
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on September 04, 2014, 06:26:22 AM
I'd say it's time to go home and prep for our next appointment.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on September 05, 2014, 11:48:26 AM
Denny makes his way towards the pickup truck... And if theres no more incidents... Once jojo and blinov arrive, heads towards the agency
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 05, 2014, 10:17:06 PM
You drop Montour and Baldwin back at the Golden Orb. Drunken Baldwin is sort of incomprehensible as he heads off to bed. He says he enjoyed dancing with Jolene--he felt a certain "spark." He goes on to whisper something about "human electric" and mutters some strange statistics, then Montour helps him stagger back to their room.

The drive back to Perimeter Base is peaceful as you stare out across the desert. In the distance you see the lights of the Amity Family Farm flicker as a small dust cloud wafts through the area.

At Base, Spanner is still awake, as is Modia (of course), who is analyzing the captured qweevil specimen. Spanner refills your O2 tanks, so you'll be ready for the 5hr ride to Jessup tomorrow.

(OOC: By the way, enjoy 750 XP each for securing the x-cell prototype! Dr. Nadir is proud of you!)

So that seemed like a pretty successful night on the town! No one got shivved or alcohol poisoned at least. Now that was May 2nd.
The only thing scheduled for May 3rd is the Deadhog/S'MOOV concert in Jessup. S'MOOV's keen to talk to Denny after the show! Oh, and Nia will be there, as will Dexter and Venus's entourage.
Nothing scheduled for May the 4th--maybe a Star Wars marathon? ;)
May 5th, Blinov scored that meeting at the Dance Hall with the unintelligible cowboy who calls Nia "one of his girls" and has a link (maybe?) to NME.

Your currently open mission is the qweevil sitch on Katie's farm. Also, Nadir got a request to track down that missing cyborg rabble rouser/labor leader from the cyborg's "wife". Nadir will have offworld missions for you tomorrow.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on September 06, 2014, 07:18:12 AM
Once back at the perimiter Base Denny speaks with Modia

"So what'd ya find out "
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on September 07, 2014, 02:55:54 PM
Blinov suggests checking in on the qweevil situation before the concert. Job feels half done, you know?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on September 07, 2014, 06:03:19 PM
Jolene has a whole weekend of research ahead of her, working on the qweevil & the earthquakes (soon to be an indie band). Also will continue to care for our guest and revisit her ranch if and when we think it is safe and can get a big group of us.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on September 08, 2014, 07:41:59 AM
Denny takes a few moment's to check in with all the staff

"Modia, What did you learn about the qweevils while we wer're out anything you can add to JoJo's studies of it?"

Denny sort of pokes at glass the creature is behind... like a little kid with a fish tank
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 09, 2014, 03:28:48 AM
Jolene:
By the way, before leaving the Dance Hall you indeed see several young ladies you know flirting with both Montour and Baldwin. They're sure to get their hearts broken, though, as the young Asheran medics said they're only in town a few days!

Back at base, Katie pretty much hangs around you as you do your research, discussing with you about the plight of the common Qeteshi farmer, but this is a tale you already know well.

All of you:
Modia's golden eyes flicker as she processes. "Fascinating insectoid specimen," she notes about the qweevil. "Did you know they have a striking anatomical similarity to the Trrarklilian bee-hawk, a species found in abundance on planet Cradle. Perhaps they have the same root species, and the qweevil was the evolutionary offshoot developed on Qetesh? The Mandate created hundreds of thousands of modified subspecies, according to my data from that time…"

She pauses, returning to the infestation matter at hand. Also, she waits until Denny stops tapping on the glass case. "Perhaps sedation with smoke would allow an easy removal, as bee-hawks are vulnerable to," she says, "Or perhaps you could use this qweevil as bait for the queen. Now that you have her young, she may be drawn out if you can make her hear its call. And with her, so goes her colony…"

Other things you know about the situation:
   • The subtle quakes are emanating from around Q-Town, and are driving the qweevil swarm eastward.
   • Some folks in town have noticed them, but their direct cause is assumed to be spaceyard. You happen to know NME has some project next door to the spaceyard, so there's that.
   • Qweevils love the Amity Farm's crops--especially the tangy purple Thalian to-maters.
   • As a side note, you did place that NME tracker in the pipe system. Not relevant to the infestation perhaps, but still of note.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on September 09, 2014, 04:07:57 AM
"I wish Alexsandr was here. I'd play it more cautious without him as I am not much support to you two," looking at Blinov & Denny.

"We could use part of the to-maters as bait. But how large is the hive, how deep the tunnels — and how close does that crop sacrifice bring Miss Katie's farm to ruin? At least we know smoke slows them down some.

"And as tempting as it is, I don't feel right holding their baby hostage to get them to move. Feels like it could backfire on us, too, like we're hive threats." To Modia, "Do they squirt hormone stuff around? Could make them real dangerous like to handle.

"Marked as a mortal threat with a chem trail locator on my back while in the dark tunnels sounds more like a horror movie than a good time to me."

----------[later]-----------

"... ... evolutionary offshoot developed on Qetesh? Mandate-made modified subspecies? What sort of Mandate plans would qweevils fit into for a planet like Qetesh... Modia, that's a right mystery I'ma willing to work with you on. 'What sort of benefit is a qweevil for Qetesh?'" Ties up her hair and starts to approach a computer research station, ready to puzzle out a new riddle.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 09, 2014, 10:14:06 AM
Denny:
The baby qweevil screeches at you through the glass.

Jolene:
Modia nods. "I have no record of qweevils using hormones or scent--my data shows they communicate through clicks. Perhaps you could record the sound of the youngling?"

She follows you to the computer. "My records on Mandate procedure are incomplete," she explains. "As for a qweevil's purpose..." She looks back to the baby, then back to you. "There was a different ecosystem when the Mandate first arrived hundreds of years ago. Animals that are now extinct--like the qwurm, for example. The qweevils may have been created to fill some role in the food chain..."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on September 09, 2014, 03:28:48 PM
Quote from: Jo
"I wish Alexsandr was here. I'd play it more cautious without him as I am not much support to you two," looking at Blinov & Denny.


Blinov wonders out loud if there might be some way to get cheap small camera robots to operate from a distance and search underground for the source of the earthquakes without putting the squishy party at personal risk.

[we need to find a way to leverage our skills since we don't have much combat muscle. I've got stealth for instance. Maybe it's time I started sneaking into places.]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 09, 2014, 05:31:58 PM
There might not be anything like that available in Q-Town, but Denny, living in Jessup you've heard of specialty shops catering to the dome's generally more wealthy residents.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on September 10, 2014, 12:24:03 PM
" There are robotic shops in Jessup, that kind of technology is commonly used in the farmin' ... Maybe we go to the concert a little early Tommorow and check into it"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on September 13, 2014, 06:58:28 AM
[Ok guys, I really get the feeling sometimes we're all waiting around for someone else to be the leader. Well I don't like to be the leader, so if one of you two wants to I'll gladly follow, no need to worry about my feelings. If neither of you wants to lead then I'll do it for the team. Just let me know.]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on September 13, 2014, 07:57:06 AM
[OOC: My apologies, I'm also running my own game as well. There's an ebb and flow to PbP, I've noticed. It's hard to manage the tempo from a GM standpoint, except to throw more shit upon the walls and watch what sticks. As a player analysis paralysis can set in from too many options.]

"The qwurm's now extinct, a different ecosystem than now... What reason does a qweevils serve here on Qetesh? Why bring 'em here? Knowing what type of hive creature this is, be it harvester or predator, will be useful..." Jolene slips into a less-dialect speech unconsciously. [Uses Research skill to find such answers. GM is free to roll for me.]

"I'm now interested if that X prototype might be a winner to sell to small farmers. But probably after this troubled farm business." Really unhappy realization comes over her, "We'll likely have to go back eventually to the farm and into the tunnels, won't we..."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on September 13, 2014, 11:47:24 AM
Quote from: Opaopajr;786739
"We'll likely have to go back eventually to the farm and into the tunnels, won't we..."


"Ready when you are," says Blinov, peeking at a Tarot card just in case.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on September 13, 2014, 11:13:55 PM
" Ok then! We setup a trap for the qweevil queen and colony... I say we record the screechy click sound... I'm not no scy-in-tist, but i gather thats some kinda distress call cuz it don't feel much safe...we draw that queen out and then maybe we can collapse the tunnel or something so it can't just get back to the farm... How does that sound? Any yall got sum Xplosives? "
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 13, 2014, 11:22:54 PM
(OOC: Totally understandable. The sandboxyness compounds the analysis paralysis too!)

Jolene:
It's quite late now. Your research continues into the wee hours of the morning, poring over databases with Modia's help. The collated research covers all known reports on qweevil behavior and diet, the latter topic leading her to revelatory piece of information.

Though qweevils eat smaller bugs, vermin, and even soil particulates, they prefer plants of the Solanaceae family, which includes potatoes, eggplants, and tomatoes (such as those on the Amity Farm). Qweevils detest certain plants (like Apiaceae, for example--celery, carrots, parsley) and won't bother those crops. They have apparently been bred this way…

Hundreds of years ago when the creatures were imported here, they seem to have been used like a sort of dome-on-dome sabotage. Certain dome cities would thrive selling their crops to other worlds, and unleashed a plague of qweevil's directed to their enemy's yield.

"The Terran Mandate was advanced in many ways," Modia extols. "Yet even an artificial mind such as mine can discern base savagery when I see it. Many other worlds have gene-gineered species, but none for as petty a reason as this." You detect a slight tone of disgust in her usually cool synthetic voice.

After your research is finished, you can't stay awake any longer, and crash in your room. Everyone else save Spanner awakes before you.

Blinov and Denny:
At a certain point in the evening you are too tired to assist Jojo with her research. Besides playing with the qweevil baby, you don't have much to offer in the way of xenobiological study.

Blinov:
You flip open your Tarot deck. The images dances as you shuffle through and randomly select one. The last two you read were named after numbers of objects--luckily this one is straightforwardly labeled "The Magician". The hologram leaps off the card. A handsome young man in a sharp-looking suit is raising his right hand upwards, holding in it a strange device--a blinking rod with a slight green aura. His left hand is down at his side, palm towards you, and he's gesturing to the ground beneath him. He wriggles his eyebrows to you encouragingly, as if you totally know what he's getting at. He seems supremely confident, not just in himself, but you as well…

All of you:
Dr. Nadir has Modia rouse you and ask you to the central meeting room. Katie Amity has made coffee and is waiting for you at the table in the Central Hall.

(OOC: Here's a little something I've had a rough draft of for a while now! The Central Hall's table is the square in the middle--it's in a recessed area of the floor. There's a few shallow steps on all four sides leading down. There are chairs around the table but the steps are comfy to sit on too.)
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/OhSiris/PerimeterBase.jpg)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on September 15, 2014, 05:12:59 PM
Blinov tries to teach the qweevil baby to bob its head to a digital tune.

[love the map by the way Mr. Kent.]

[Let's move to the next scene soon. The tarot is telling me to stealth it up!]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on September 16, 2014, 07:41:19 AM
"To breed and introduce a pest species to spite another's fortune... Well, if that ain't the fox calling sour the grapes he can't reach. Except he lights the vineyard afire on the way out," shakes her head.

Before sleep she's piecing together the facts as she knows in her tired brain. She's letting her intuitive, dreaming sense take over, letting her Perception pick up factoids floating in her head about Science and Pre- or Post- Tech. "Loves potatoes, tomatoes, & eggplant. Hates celery, carrots, & parsley. Did we humans ever grow such plants together... zzzz zzzz."
---------------

"A critter that digs tunnels well, runs from heavy vibration, and doesn't like certain veggies. And made by man to sabotage his neighbor's farm. If that don't beat all." An image of draping her vac suit in parsley, like a green shaggy dog, makes Jolene laugh, then stop from pain. "Ow, my head. I need a better night's sleep, and less drinking, before riskin' life and limb next time."

Sobering up a touch before her mirror at that last bit, "If there is a next time."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on September 16, 2014, 12:06:06 PM
Denny

Denny Zombie walks into the Meeting area, grabs a cup of Joe, and sits next to Miss Amity

"Next time you wake me up this early Modia..."

Apparently the coffe hasn't set in yet because this is all he says
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 18, 2014, 12:52:12 AM
Blinov:
The qweevil baby doesn't seem to dig the rocking beats and rhythmic vibration of the year 3200! It wiggles its head and tries to flee, then curls into a tight little ball. Much like the vibrations emanating from QTown, the bass on your music is driving the qweevil nuts!

Denny:
Modia looks at you, holding up her hands. "It wasn't my idea!" she says defensively. So lifelike

All:
Dr. Nadir emerges from his room in his wheelchair, assisted by Dr. Ling. "Marshall Greene of Q-Town dropped me a line." Nadir wheezes. "Something involving an investigation? I really haven't been keeping up with the recent news."

Dr. Ling wheels Nadir carefully down the shallow steps to the table. "Relax," she tells him brusquely. "You'll agitate your condition..."

"He sounds like he wants to purchase our services, because when I told him you'd be in Jessup all day he said he'd send someone to meet you there. But…isn't that out of his jurisdiction? Well, never mind. Send a message to this QNet address if you are available to meet him today."

Spanner makes sure your O2 tanks are full, but the five hour trip west to the Jessup dome leaves you each with a single hour of oxygen left. Before you leave you'll need to purchase a refill. "Have fun guys," the young mechanic cheers. He hints to you that he'd like to get to know Katie Amity. Since she's stuck away from home he figures he'll keep her company--you all know he's not the sort to overstep boundaries, however.

At the end of your long trip, the glistening Jessup dome appears over the arid dunes. From a distance it looks shorter but wider, with more offshoot domes and outlying plantations. If any dome has a claim to take the title of planetary capitol from QTown, Jessup is it. At the southern edge you see a construction site. Is this where Jessup is placing their private port?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on September 19, 2014, 08:50:49 AM
OOC: What does my Jessup Culture tell me about the private port going in
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 19, 2014, 09:44:17 PM
Denny:
Jessup being a collection of wealthy plantations, it is basically run by several large old-money families with a lot of clout--you and Dad were promptly informed of this upon your arrival there. However, the First Municipality of Qetesh (which most know as Q-Town) was established first and already has a sizable functional spaceport. Jessup has to use Q-Town's port to ship its crops, which irks the ruling families to no end.

Thus, Jessup has begun to build its own port on the southern side of the dome. It's not powered or O2-sealed yet, but the basic skeleton is there. Newsun-Matsuri Energy Concern has offered to subsidize the effort.

(OOC: Rookie, tell me about who took over Denny's Dad's business--which wealthy Jessup dynasty swooped in and took over the shop?)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on September 22, 2014, 01:40:59 AM
Jolene seeks the nearest gas & O2 station to get that out of the way, just in case we have to make a fast exit. She'll also hold her bladder until a nice diner afterwards, just in time for our lunch. Peeing at a gas station... shakes head, ladies try not to.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on September 23, 2014, 06:27:58 AM
Blinov goes along, waiting to see what happens.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on September 29, 2014, 08:07:50 PM
Jolene wonders about any of her extended kinfolk around this here parts.

Also feeling a bit peckish after 5 hours of driving. Will test Denny on where's a good place to eat: good food, fewer listening ears, and not too greasy a spoon. Would be nice to catch up on our planned doings, and listen in on any local Jessup dome doings.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on September 30, 2014, 08:30:35 AM
( OOC ) Hey guys I've had some family issues come up, and I'll be taking some time off...Sorry
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on September 30, 2014, 08:04:22 PM
[shoot, well I hope things get better Rookie.]

Blinov sticks to Jo and suggests the Heathen Eyes for its excellent gonchongs (future food, it's hard to describe, kind of like a demonically possessed black and white photo in food form) and contemplative atmosphere.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 02, 2014, 06:15:47 AM
The Oxygen Store (yes, it's called just that) is a clean little place on the way to the Heathen Eyes. The clerk is dressed in a crisp silver-white jumpsuit, and greets you happily from the back of the room as you enter. As she gets closer, her expression sours, as if she can smell Q-Town on you. When you inquire about O2 refills, her expression brightens once more.

"Two-hundred-and-fifty credits per tank," she cheerily informs you. A bit steeper than O2 in Q-Town, but these are Jessup prices, after all.

Jolene:
You do recall that a well-to-do branch of the family tree lives in Jessup: the Lewistons, children of your mother's cousin. They have a reputation as rather aggressive and unscrupulous businessmen. You haven't kept in touch, and don't know if they're in NME's pocket or maintaining their independent enterprise.

Blinov:
The gonchongs at Heathen Eyes are indeed legendary! And perhaps if you're lucky the establishment's eponymous owner will make an appearance. But the rumors about him…they couldn't be true, could they?

Denny:
You take leave of the group for a bit to look around your old haunts, looking for familiar faces, and intend to join up Jojo and Blinov later.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on October 02, 2014, 12:39:05 PM
What rumors?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 02, 2014, 11:21:33 PM
Blinov:
Hmm, it could be nothing...street kids in Q-Town once told you about the rich old lunatic in Jessup who bought his way into high society--bought his way in with little mind-tricks like knowing when to bet on the right hovercar at the track. What and whence he was before coming to Qetesh, no one seems to know.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on October 03, 2014, 06:20:39 AM
Yeah, we gotta check that place out.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 06, 2014, 01:07:58 AM
Assuming you pay the requisite refill fees, the Oxygen Store's silver-suited attendant forces a smile and sends you on your way.

You make your way to Heathen Eyes, a circular building near Jessup's amphitheater. It's not quite so active this early in the day, but there are a few regulars scattered around the bar.


The bartender is a stylishly coiffed young man with a wide smile (his hair flips up like a frozen yogurt!). He gives you a cursory glance as you enter. There is light piano music playing from somewhere in the room, but no sign of a piano.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on October 06, 2014, 12:16:08 PM
Blinov nudges Jo to take a seat from which people-watching will be easy.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on October 06, 2014, 07:26:03 PM
"Well, I never! Outright robbery oxygen prices! Next time we're loading that flat bed with extra O2 tanks."

"Wha?... Oh fine, Blinov. Some hoity toity place and me not a chance to be done up. What's next? Eating discolored swirly lumps of mystery? Hope at least you're payin'."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 07, 2014, 08:47:15 PM
You find a nice spot along the wall near the corner, with a perfect view of the room. There are mostly well-dressed patrons, a few less-so. You can tell that only select segments of Jessup's rich populace drink and dine here.

A small, nondescript man sits at the table nearest the bar playing a game of chance with an attractive woman with long jetblack hair. The woman is all long curves from head to toe, including her plump limps and half-moon scar on her left cheek. The little man is growing aggravated--he's losing to the woman by a hefty sum. She laughs musically--she obviously doesn't care about the outcome of such a game.

A tall, bald gentleman sits at a secluded table, unaccompanied by anyone. He is a thick, apelike frame stuffed into a fine suit. As out-of-place as he looks, he seems quite comfortable as he sips some smoking liquid. When looks up to scan the room briefly, his eyes are a solid glowing color, a sickly green-white.

A well-armed man fat man approaches the young bartender, ordering some concoction you've never heard of. He has a trimmed beard and a wide belt full of weapons. He makes a snide remark about some of the more shabbily-dressed clientele and laughs obnoxiously at his own joke.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on October 10, 2014, 12:45:12 PM
Blinov surreptitiously focuses his attention on the tall bald man.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on October 14, 2014, 06:32:17 PM
Denny

Denny meets up with Blinov outside the Heathen Eyes..

 "Hey guys, I was just checking on some of my old accquaintences here in Jessup "

OOC: Does Denny know what the Rumor's are about the owner? and does he recognize any of the current patrons? How big of a population is Jessup?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 16, 2014, 06:51:44 PM
Blinov:
All other bar patrons who pass the bald man's table grant him quiet deference with a nod or nervously polite smile. The staff approach him with a few questions about inventory and drink menu, to which he indifferently grunts answers.

As he makes a second pass of the room, his gaze fixes upon you. He mouths something, a serious look crossing his face…

Denny:
You recognize a few of the patrons, to varying degrees.

The heavyset guy with the deadly belt is some blowhard merc who comes and goes. The Street says his name is Monaz, and he only deigns visit Qetesh when he has work on nearby worlds. As you study him today, he begins aggressively taunting two middle-aged women in farmers' clothes.

The guy playing games with the raven-haired beauty is utterly ubiquitous, and at the same time insignificant. You see him around town from time to time, all over town, reading digital news boards and getting cups of coffee. He takes shuttles downtown and eats his lunch outside the racetrack. He doesn't seem important, just uncommonly active about town.

The bald man whom Blinov is spying on is a local entrepreneur, Mr. Blanco. Is he the so-called "Heathen Eyes" who runs this place? It would be a reasonable guess to assume so. After comparing notes with Blinov about the rumors, you know pretty much the same intel as he does, true or not.

By the by, Jessup and it connected domes have a population of roughly 200,000 citizens, slightly less than Q-Town but more than its other nearest neighbors, the dome of Raleigh and Sandor.

(OOC: Slightly more than the pop of Little Rock, Arkansas!)

Jolene:
You get a message on your compad--its Marshal Greene, of Q-Town, who rewarded Blinov for intel yesterday. As Dr. Nadir forewarned you, Greene would like to speak to your group sometime today about a possible job. Curiously, he reports he's also in Jessup and can meet you wherever, which is clearly out of his jurisdiction…
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on October 16, 2014, 10:29:27 PM
Can Blinov use any of his skills to read Blanco's lips for whatever he mouthed before looking away nonchalantly?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 17, 2014, 02:12:09 AM
I'd say it would take a touch of Perception to figure it out closely--Jojo and Denny have that though and you could bother them to help you if they were paying attention, OR you could make the attempt unskilled yourself...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on October 17, 2014, 06:52:17 AM
It would be too fast for either of them to notice in time. Blinov makes the check unskilled.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 17, 2014, 10:11:56 AM
(Rolled for you in the rolz room--You just made it, even with disadvantage!)

Blinov:
Blanco's expression isn't menacing, but focused. It takes you a moment to realize what he's saying: "Draw."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on October 17, 2014, 05:15:18 PM
Blinov does - draw a card that is.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 17, 2014, 07:14:33 PM
Blinov:
You slide a card from the deck, its holographic image displaying upside down. It's a man on a large stone throne, looking quite regal in the middle of a sea of sand. With both hands he holds a large, bountiful cup, full to the brim with shimmering blue water. There's something swimming within the cup, some sort of fishlike aquatic critter, who bounds around the water's surface energetically. However, dark shapes move among the dunes behind him--large, looming shapes, approaching the king to consume him. The image grows darker, until the shimmering blue water is the only light, and then the image flickers and disappears.

As you look down at the card, Blanco stands and slowly strides towards your table.

Jolene and Denny:
Blanco greets you before formally acknowledging Blinov. He bows gently to Jolene especially. "Welcome to my supper club," he croaks, his voice like grating like granite slabs grinding against each other. "I have not seen you here before…are you visiting our fine dome?" A twinkle in his eye says he already knows the answer…
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on October 18, 2014, 03:50:18 AM
"There is no getting around your sharp eye, Gallant of Jessup. Thank you kindly for being a welcoming host. It has been an age since I felt treated like a right lady, all proper like."

"But you caught me at a disadvantage, not knowing your full name and all. And me not able to step on the toes of my escorts' honor... I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive my informal address to you just now."

/looks at each of the men in this little conversation during talk with all bright eyes and smiles — and expectation.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on October 18, 2014, 07:06:55 AM
At the appropriate juncture, Blinov introduces himself and casually places the card on the table in a prominent position, like a silent question.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on October 18, 2014, 08:23:36 AM
Jolene looks at Blinov with big eyes of disbelief, like being dismissed, and then looks back at the bald man with raised eyebrows and pointed glance back to Blinov as if saying, "See what I mean?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on October 18, 2014, 08:29:55 AM
Denny

As Mr. Blanco comes over... Denny remembers that this Business man has always had a veil about it him


 " Actually sir, I'm a local... I used to work for Plowman Agricultural Engineering... Maybe you've heard of it?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on October 18, 2014, 09:02:26 AM
Jolene, with eyebrows still raised, looks at Denny, then rolls her eyes up with a conscious blink and purposeful intake of breath. Upon her exhaling sigh she opens her eyes and one can see she has returned her gaze to the bald man. The eyebrows drop as if resigned, and Jolene's eyes next wander about the room.

(She is now taking an interest in whoever is taking an interest in this meeting with the supper club host. Perception roll as the GM likes it.)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 18, 2014, 10:01:21 AM
Blanco taps the card and lifts it from the table. He holds it in his hand as he speaks to Jolene. "You may call me Blanco, madam. And no worries regarding dress--your attire is fine. Appearances matter little to me, though mean a great deal to some." He subtly indicates boisterous Monaz, still taunting folks from the bar.

(OOC: Shall post your Perception results late today. In the meantime, any response to Marshal Greene?)

"Plowman?" Blanco asks Denny. "Didn't that become Lewiston AgriCon? Ah, still, nice to meet you."

Finally placing the card before Blinov, Blanco seems curious. "Well...I have never seen such an artifact in such good condition. Your draw bears a terrible warning, but despite that...I..."

He leans over the table. "How much for the whole deck?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on October 18, 2014, 11:58:00 AM
Denny

Denny get's a little upset when he hears Lewiston Agricon... and says with a rough edge

 " They're crooks, and If I were you I would never take your business to them, They're nothing like the company my Dad and I ran..."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 18, 2014, 04:24:04 PM
Denny:
Blanco's shoulders tense up, like a boa constrictor flexing. His brow creases, seemingly suddenly agitated as you grow angry. "Er, I seem to have treaded on a nerve. I am sorry for touching a sensitive topic," he tells you. "I can assure you, my interests are in the entertainment and leisure industries, but were I to break into farming, I'd certainly not give them a single credit!"

He seems almost as mad as you! But not mad at you--you see it plainly in his eyes, flashing brilliant white like a furnace. In this instant, he seems to hate Lewiston Agricon as much as you do. Blanco takes a deep breath and composes himself, his eyes fading to pale milk again. He sighs, and shakes your hand.

Jolene:
You surreptitiously scan the room for anyone watching the meeting. The young barman for one seems surprised--perhaps at the mere fact that Blanco is engaging with you. He then returns to washing glasses.

The curvy black-haired woman peeks at you over her shoulder. Her gambling opponent is too engaged in the game to look up. She calls it a game, much to her opponent's disappointment, and stands to stretch. She then collects her winnings, settles her tab with the barman, and saunters for the exit, giving you a parting glance before she goes.

Two men from the far corner of the room watch her as she exits, and casually follow her out.

Blinov:
Blanco scratches the back of his hand while awaiting your response. He looks down at your tarot deck hungrily.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on October 18, 2014, 09:40:32 PM
Jolene will reflect upon the curvy lady in the Golden Orb and try to remember how much they resemble each other. Will also try to take in the features of the two men following her out.

{I need to contact Marshall Greene, perhaps even right now! But how could I text message in the middle of my demure lady manner? Maybe I can go powder my nose? Or just take a outside?}

"Thank you for the introduction, dear Mr. Blanco. I am Miss Rydell, it has been a genuine pleasure. If you may excuse me, Mr. Blanco, I would like to give you gentlemen some privacy and take in a little outside air.

I will return in a moment, gentlemen."

Once excused will head towards the exit seemingly pre-occupied with my compad and casually taking out a cosmetic from my purse.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on October 18, 2014, 11:28:57 PM
"Unfortunately this deck was a gift to me, and I'd feel dirty parting with it... I don't suppose you'd be interested in a reading as small consolation though? I've been practicing. Many forms, many methods, many interpretations..."

Blinov takes the card back and starts shuffling.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 18, 2014, 11:32:46 PM
Blinov:
Blanco looks mildly disappointed, though he tries to hide it. "Ah well, I thank you for letting me down easy Mister…Yegor, was it? I must say, I don't get to converse with many folks of similar gifts these days. Back home, you can't throw a stone without hitting one of us. Things are much quieter here."

"Tell me…what did you make of the card you drew, the throne?" he asked, tracing his finger along the table. "If I like the answer, I may very well take you up on that reading!"

Jolene:
You recall that the young woman from the Orb was blonde and supermodel-thin, with her long gloves and stolen pipe. This woman is curvier and a bit more mature-looking, wearing a dark purple form-fitting jumpsuit.

The men are identical twins, at least 6 feet tall, with buzzed platinum hair. They are wearing long coats and fingerless gloves.

As you leave the boys to converse with Blanco in Heathen Eyes, you walk into the bright midday sun. When you look around, the woman and her followers are gone. As you fiddle with your compad and purse, you hear a struggle coming from the alley alongside Heathen Eyes!
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on October 19, 2014, 01:28:15 AM
Jolene will call Marshal Greene. When he picks up, or an answering machine, she'll say audibly, "Marshall, a pleasure to return your call. I'm glad to hear you're nearby..." And then either leave a message of her first name and current location, or start off the conversation with those facts. She'll otherwise pretend to be oblivious to the noises in the alleyway.

{Something dangerous is going down! Better pretend I can't hear, but at least contact a lawman and give my name and location. Even better to seem friendly like and on a first name basis. That way they should feel cautious about continuing in the alley or getting me involved!}

Will bust out my powder compact with mirror and casually check out my face for blotches, but angled towards the alley just in case whoever is in the alley gets any stupid ideas to surprise me.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on October 19, 2014, 09:54:45 AM
Denny

Watches as Blanco and Blinov discuss thier similarities and then says

" Blinov I want my reading "

He takes a seat across from blinov
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on October 20, 2014, 01:03:10 PM
Blanco:

"It's Blinov," He corrects kindly. He then holds the deck to his forehead, eyes closed, analyzing the card. "Overwhelming emotions," he says after a second. "Control. It could mean that I am prey to emotions that are overwhelming me and need to keep them in check, but that isn't right, sooo..." He opens his eyes and looks up at Blanco. "The likelier interpretation is that someone is controlling me or intends to control me through my emotions." He puts the deck on the table. "With concentration I could get a clearer picture, but that would be tapping into my mental reserves if you know what I mean. Wouldn't leave much for me to perform a full-range reading for you and my friend here."

Denny:

Blinov holds up an index finger to let Denny know he'll give him his reading once he knows where Blanco is going with this.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 22, 2014, 03:18:14 PM
Jolene:
Marshal Greene is glad to get your call. "Ah, Heathen Eyes? Hm. Interesting choice. All right, I'll be there soon…"

The noises in the alley escalate, from grunting to full body-on-body pounding, and then silence. A sudden flurry of motion catches your eye in the mirror! It's the woman stepping quickly from around the corner. She fixes her hair and pauses, seeing you with your compact. She walks hurriedly towards you.

"Hey," she greets you cordially. "You wouldn't happen to have anything for this, would you?" she asks, indicating a nasty looking bruise on her left cheek, right below her already-existing half-moon scar. "Make-up emergencies…you know how it is!" she sighs.

Blinov:
Blanco's eyes flicker merrily, and he laughs. "Oh, you are a smart one. I must confess, when you walked in and sat down in my club, from the very first second, I had every intention of testing your skill--a manipulation of sorts, perhaps. But now your skill is clear, and you are too clever to be manipulated…"

"As I said before, my homeworld is flush with psychics, but here on Qetesh…I have been here a few years, and I can count the number of psychics I've encountered on one hand," he says, raising his fist in illustration. "Each one of them has proven to be a disappointment to me.  So far, you have not."

"Please, continue--read your friend, if he really wishes to learn what fate has in store…"

(OOC: I don't remember if I posted it before, but I've been drawing my cards from here: Random Tarot (http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/entry/176))
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on October 23, 2014, 08:51:20 AM
"Pardon Marshal, fashion emergency." /leaves phone on.

"Oh gracious! You poor dear, I don't mind a whit!" /hands compact over. In hushed whisper, "Hope you gave whatever it was a 'what for.'" As she applies make-up, continuing in whispers, "Sometimes I've been known to bust out a shoe whoopin' 'gainst the furniture I bump into. Don't laugh, makes me feel right good again, it does."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on October 23, 2014, 03:30:44 PM
Blanco:
Blinov nods in respect. "Tell me more about your world. I've known only a few people with this sort of talent, so what you're describing is difficult to picture."

Denny:
Blinov will perform a full range reading for Denny, past present and future, spending a psi point for it and everything (leaving him with 1). He'll even let Denny choose what aspect of his existence he wants emphasized; romance, business, danger, etc. Blinov is very straightforward and crisp about all this, like his fixing a computer.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 24, 2014, 11:04:52 PM
Blinov:
Blanco grits his teeth. "Atargatis," he says as if he just drank sour milk. "It's the sort of place those psi-worshipers in the Concordat only dream of."

He watches you as you prepare to read Denny. "Perhaps if you ever decide to seek this place out, I could pay you to take a message back for me…God knows I'll never show my face there again!"

Jolene:
A sleek black gravcar pulls around the corner as the woman finishes concealing her bruise. "Thanks doll! I owe you one," she says with a breathy wink. As Marshal Greene emerges from the car, the woman fast-walks in the opposite direction. Greene does a double take when he sees the woman, a look of recognition.

"Ms. Rydell?" the Marshal asks you. "Ah, hello. Sorry to track you down out of town, but I didn't think it could wait. We appreciate your associate's assistance yesterday, but I'm afraid it's just the beginning. Is there somewhere more private we can all talk?"

(OOC: Rookie, once you decide the aspects of your reading, we can commence. Shipyard, would you like to draw or shall I?)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on October 25, 2014, 03:56:13 AM
"Oh, Marshal! Glad you could make it. And so soon!" Compad phone turned off now, naturally.

Will continue niceties, delay, and feign to finally powder my nose, mirror checking in the direction where the robust brunette went, until she seems adequately out of sight & earshot. If Marshal seems frustrated with the delay of niceties, will shoot him dagger looks to play along while keeping my voice genteel. Once I feel safe Jolene will answer his question where to discreetly talk.

"Sorry to chew your ear right off, must be wearing on your patience and all. Aren't you just a saint! I think I have an idea where to catch up quickly before we meet up with my friends. Right this way..."

Jolene heads off to the alleyway where the sounds occurred, in Marshal Greene's escort all the way. In transit she'll add in a tense whisper, "You're timing couldn't be more perfect! Was gonna make a simple call to you and then I've been right scared ever since I got out here! Heard scufflin' sounds round this corner, then a whoopin', if I've ever heard one.

Got scared and knew I should call the long arm of the law, leavin' my name and last location lest I get swept away. Was a sheer mercy you picked up. Bust out my compact here and used the mirror to keep a sly lookout behind me at the alley. Lordy, I just wanted to scream!


/grabs at his forearm and squeezes, closes her eyes, and flinches hard. lingers a touch as if he's safety incarnate, then releases, all 1950s damsel in distress like.

"Then this lady you now saw — who just left this establishment before me, and followed by this pair of burly male twins — comes as you please outta here. Coulda scooped my jaw off the floor, you could. Sees me and asks to borrow my compact. Has a bruise on her cheek, right under a crescent scar. So naturally, fearin' for my safety, I leave my phone on and play up nice and friendly like, as you may have heard. I don't even know what'll I see comin' up..."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 25, 2014, 07:53:16 PM
Jolene:
Marshal Greene nods attentively, clearly picking up on your apprehension and playing along. "Yes, it is funny how the air seems different here! I mean, you'd think all domes would be…the same…right?" He peeks over his shoulder to see if anyone is watching.

"Crescent scar?" he asks seriously as he escorts you to the alley. "Yeah, I thought she looked familiar. But twins? That doesn't ring a…bell…"

As you turn the corner, you see the bruised bodies of the twins, groaning as they drag themselves to upright sitting positions. Greene rushes to one's side and motions for you to tend to the other. The identical men have near identical injuries to their face, apparently clawed across the bridge of the nose with long fingernails.

"That bitch," the one closest to you grunts. "She ain't getting away!" He struggles to get to his feet but tries not to say any more. The other one is likewise silent.

Greene turns back to you. "Geez. What did she do to them? Did you see anything else when they were in there?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on October 25, 2014, 10:31:13 PM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;793931

 Shipyard, would you like to draw or shall I?

Surprise me (and Rookie).
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on October 27, 2014, 07:38:15 AM
" Business Please "

Maybe some of the conversation with Blanco has brought up some old memories of the family, and family business...

(Can we hear any of the stuff going on w/ Jo?)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on November 02, 2014, 12:00:03 AM
Blinov and Denny, Inside Heathen Eyes:
Blanco eagerly pulls up a seat for the reading. Blinov, you flex your fingers, shuffle the strange holographic deck, and draw three cards face down. It is as you said: Past. Present. Future. Denny requested insight into business, and so it shall be...

The first card flips to reveal a young soldier--a knight, to use feudal parlance. He rides a horse, covered in some sort of blanket. The blanket is adorned with many ancient coins, and they sparkle as the soldier rides up a hill. The serious expression on his face shows that he will not give up, even as the hill's incline grows ever steeper and the terrain grows more dangerous.
[Flashes of the Past. A hardworking father's sacrifice, moving his family across worlds to afford them a better life. Ingenuity breeds fortune. The family's fortune is secured.]

The second card is not the triumphant victory the knight would have expected. There are nine bowls or cups suspended from the ceiling, hanging upside down. Whatever goodies the cups contained--liquor, jewels, expensive baubles--now spill out and tumble into a dark pit below. The knight from the first card appears (which strikes you as odd--you've never seen holograms from different cards interact before!). The knight tries to catch the items as they fall, all in vain.
[Flashes of the Present. Loss and uncertainty. The father's legacy has been stolen from his family by one he claimed as a friend, a brother. The emotional fallout is messy, and still occurring.]

The final card is…perplexing, and you aren't sure how to explain it to Denny exactly. It looks like the first in a sense--it is a knight as well, but his face is skeletal, like a corpse. This figure, deathly pale, rides a similar horse to the first knight, and ascends the hill--is this the knight's son? The land crumbles and rots in his path. Yet, even after Death passes by, he leaves fresh green growth in his wake. When the rot passes, there is a chance for new life…
[Flashes of the Future. The sons inhabit their father's roles, following to a logical conclusion. However, fate is rarely logical, or fair. Destruction of one, or both? A reconciliation?]

(OOC: Through a front window those inside can see that a car has pulled up and Jolene is speaking with--hey! It's Marshal Greene from yesterday. But you couldn't hear any of the business in the alley.)

Jolene, In the Alley:
The twins are adamant that they didn't attack without good reason. "She knows where our friend went--she was the last one seen with him!"

Greene shakes his head. "I'm going to level with you," he explains to you quietly. "I recognized that woman--she was taken in for questioning in the past--something about a missing persons case. We had nothing to hold her on. So I understand if these guys are upset, but it's likely this woman had nothing to do with their friend."

"This is out of my jurisdiction, Miss Rydell. I'll leave it up to you. We can call Jessup authorities to investigate this whole altercation, or just turn them loose…"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on November 03, 2014, 10:11:11 PM
After explaining all that to Denny, Blinov indicates to Blanco that he'll do a reading for him if he wants. Blinov hasn't noticed any of the business with Jo, so Denny might need to clue him in.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on November 06, 2014, 07:29:11 AM
Discreetly to Greene, "Well I wasn't wronged myself, Marshal, so I have no place to say a thing. Now if these young men may want to call in the law and report a good ol' fashioned ass whoopin' — by a lady no less — that is between them. But maybe I can scrape this tidbit off'n our plate."

Turns to look back and smile demurely to the burly twins, almost apologetic, saying, "I'm sorry to trouble you some. With all that tusslin' noise as I was a-powderin' off my sheen, I just thought someone got hurt is all. I'll leave you to your business as you choose now, and hope y'all feel better."

Turning back deferentially to Marshal Greene and speaking aloud for both groups to hear, "Marshal, maybe you can give them handsome boys helpful advice 'bout where to go from here with the law. I'm plum out of ideas, and last thing I want to do is put you out of your way, this not being your regular grounds and all..."

Gives the smiling concerned face to both parties, the twins get an extra helping of {now may be a good time to skedaddle} with theirs.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on November 07, 2014, 03:28:10 PM
Denny

"I think after a reading like that I need a drink...."


Denny heads out to the vehicle...

"Whats going on Marshall, you're a long ways away from...Qtown"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on November 09, 2014, 02:28:23 AM
Blinov:
Blanco claps his hands together after your reading for Denny, an amused look on his face. "You read your friend's past and future, as if it were no more complex than my "Open For Business" sign. Most impressive talents, Blinov."

He pushes back from the table. "As for the reading, I'm afraid I may have to postpone that. I have an urgent matter that comes to mind just now...but I will return shortly. Will you wait here a moment?" Blanco rises, towering over you, gives a shallow bow, and disappears into the backroom behind the bar. The bartender follows behind him.

You hear a low chuckle from nearby. It's the bully merc Monaz. "Oh boy, you really stepped in it now!" he snickers, shuffling over to you, hands placed on his large belt. Until this moment, you didn't even know he was paying attention to you--he seemed too busy harassing locals.

"Looks like you really impressed ol' 'Heathen Eyes' himself. Showed him just how powerful you are. But see, Blanco sees to it he's the only precog game in town. You think men like Blanco get where they're at just letting potential rivals wander free?"

"Here," he snorts, and hands you a strangely old-fashioned plastic calling card. "MONAZ. FOR HIRE." is what it says, followed by the merc's contact info. "If you need some protection down the line, I handle that sorta thing..."

"In the meantime, I'd suggest you skee-daddle before Blanco comes back..."

Jolene:
At your suggestion, Greene takes the twins aside and has a brief but animated discussion with them. Shortly thereafter they storm off, and the Marshal returns to you.

He shrugs. "I gave them a warning. Doubt they'll go after her again. I'm sure their friend Basanos is just planning his next protest or sit-in or what-have-you. He's fine."

"Actually, what I came to talk to you about...well, its also a little out of my jurisdiction, but the Titan Protectorate was asking me to seek your help. We suspect the woman your friend Blinov ID'd from the Golden Orb may be part of a larger problem..."

Denny:
Marshal Greene pauses his story to Jolene when he sees you. "Oh, hello. I thought I'd bring some more work your way. Is your psychic friend around, too?"

From the edge of your vision you see a drop-top hovercraft, the latest model, speed by heading in the direction of the amphitheater. You realize its getting close to concert time. The driver turns his head briefly to toss a coffee cup out onto the street. Even behind those glasses you recognize Coy Lewiston, the son of your father's rival. There is a girl in his passenger seat, but you can't see her face.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on November 09, 2014, 05:14:57 AM
Low and closer, "Basaros, you say? Marshal, I think you got more than a few tidbits runnin' off your plate onto the table. A woman handlin' two strappin' farm lads like that is not what I'm used to seein'." Leaning in to whisper, "And if he's plannin' another protest sit-in, he's been doin' it lost to all kith 'n kin for 'bout five days now.

"Do you have their names and contacts? We both might need 'em later. And if they don't use better sense from here on out, dental records, heaven forbid." Serious sideways look into Marshal Greene's eyes.

Backing up from tete-a-tete, "Two dangerous women, and one right after the other. But pay me no mind, Marshal. I'm a big, ol' sucker for patterns," innocently smiling. "Might even do me a little shoppin' for such as we're here in 'high up Jessup'."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on November 12, 2014, 06:34:31 PM
Blinov smiles at Monaz, "Call it precog intuition, but I get the feeling I actually want to see where this is going. Tell you what, I know you just made that offer for 'down the line' but how much would it cost for you to sit in front of me now for a little while and make it really implicit that I'm not to be trifled with, eh? Got an hourly rate?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on November 15, 2014, 12:09:18 AM
Jolene:
Marshal Greene seems intrigued. "Really…you know about the Manny Basanos case? Hm. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. You Perimeter Agents seems pretty on top of things," he says admiringly. He shares the twins' names--Larry and Ari Eck--and the woman's name--Chandra Domaine. "I'd love to further discuss the Basanos case, if you're free sometime."

"I'm going to send you the files I have on the job I'm offering--I'll need to know by tomorrow if you'd like to take the assignment, so feel free to discuss it with your partners." He nods cordially. "I'd better head back to Q-Town, uh, before I get involved in any other local messes."

Blinov:
Monaz grins. "You got fifty creds on you? I'll stick around until you leave this fine establishment, make sure they get the message." He crosses his arms and looks at you eagerly.

The bartender emerges from the back room first, pausing when he sees you talking to Monaz. He stands at the bar and waits until his boss joins him. The barman turns to whisper something to Blanco, and Blanco nods.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on November 15, 2014, 04:42:45 PM
Blinov gives Monaz 50 cr and looks at Blanco, one eyebrow raised, knowing but not hostile, like he's still willing to talk.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on November 16, 2014, 08:41:07 AM
Denny

"Excuse me Marshall, I see an old Accquaintance...."

Denny approaches the dropship

(( Would Coy recognize Denny? ))

Denny pretends to admire the vehicle...running his hand down the side, and says

"Ahhh a 3200 Qevy.... Does have the Updated Phasotron schematics for Auto-steer...?? "
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on November 19, 2014, 01:18:53 AM
Blinov:
Blanco approaches Blinov, and Monaz takes a step closer. "Lovely place you have here, Mr. Blanco. I'm surprised you keep it so clean, what with all the dangerous types coming through here," Monaz says with his deep voice. It doesn't sound quite like a threat, but just imposing enough.

"Ah, you know, Blinov, as a psychic, you really should have seen this coming," Blanco laments. "I was absolutely impressed by your power, and I predict truly great things for you--as long as you stay out of Jessup. If I see you around my establishment again, my hand will be forced, I'm afraid, and I'll have to do to you what I've done to every other psychic I've met on Qetesh."

He pauses, hoping it sinks in. "I'd like to trust you, but…even the slightest outlier can introduce chaos. And I simply can't abide chaos, least not any chaos that I haven't personally predicted."

He gets out his compad and begins to send you his contact info. "That said, I'd be happy to do business…from a distance. If you have need of anything I can help you with while you're…well, far from here, please let me know…"

In the front of the room, you can now clearly tell that the bartender has a small weapon of some kind just peeking up from behind the bar.

Denny:
The craft idles as Denny pretends to gawk at it. "You know it, bro," Coy Lewiston says. "Nothing but the latest and best off the boat from the capitol planet." He looks you over cautiously, but doesn't seem to recognize you, or if he does he doesn't let on. The young lady in his passenger seat looks familiar, assuming you've gotten a good look at Blinov's old street urchin friend, Nia Tran. Nia is quite made up, looking like she's ready for a night on the town. She smiles at you gently, then tugs on Coy's sleeve--the concert beckons.

"What kinda ride you working with, man?" Coy asks you a bit condescendingly. "This has got the works." He arrogantly pops the hood, exposing the inner workings. Nia rolls her eyes at his show of machismo.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on November 20, 2014, 07:19:23 AM
Blinov looks disappointed. "Sad it's going to be this way. Lots of opportunities getting thrown away. Whatever." He takes the contact info. "Of course I had my suspicions, but sometimes you want to test the limits of precog, you know? See if the universe might be a better place than your past and your powers predict."

He motions for Monaz to follow him out of the joint, since he still has him on hire for the next 50 minutes or so.

"I'll get out of the area as soon as my associates are done. You be safe Mr. Blanco, and I really do mean that. The future's a funny thing. Enemies can become allies and vice versa and all that. Keep your options open."

Blinov, with Monaz in tow, rejoins the others to see what they're up to.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on November 20, 2014, 09:52:13 AM
Blinov:
Monaz grabs a handful of peanuts from the bar before following you out. You emerge to see Jolene speaking with Q-Town's Marshal Greene, who immediately gives you a nod of recognition. Denny is over by some hovering hotrod talking to its rich kid driver. And…you see Nia in the passenger seat. She sees you and looks a bit embarrassed, urging the driver to get going.

"Ah, Blinov. I just sent Jolene the info for a job I have for you, concerning the woman you reported seeing at the Orb." He looks over at your hireling curiously.

"Ah, anyway, we saw the suspect discard evidence--the dead marine's pipe, you remember. We wouldn't have found it if you hadn't steered us in that direction. Well, our lab workers identified something…ah, well it's a rarity, that's for sure. It's a toxin that predates the fall of the Mandate. Pretech…"

Jolene and Denny:
You see Blinov closely followed by that blowhard from inside. Monaz is stuffing peanuts in his mouth, and the crumbs are all caught up in his beard.

Denny:
You hear Nia mention that the concert will be opening its doors soon. "Don't worry babe--that's what VIP passes are for," Coy Lewiston assures her.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on November 25, 2014, 11:29:29 AM
Denny

Denny's going to attempt to pull a small but critical piece of the car off when Coy's attention is on Nia attempting to disable the vehicle

Postech Check (https://rolz.org/myroomlog?r=stars+without+number) = 12
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on December 01, 2014, 01:14:03 PM
(OOC: Wow that's a good roll! I'll have my update this afternoon :D)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on December 03, 2014, 08:13:07 PM
To Marshal Greene: "Sure, I'll see this thing through." he tilts his head toward Monaz, "My consultant when dealing with Blanco."

To Nia: "Hey pal, how's it going? You know, call it MESS intuition, but I get the weirdest feeling there's some kind of block between us lately. Got anything you want to get off your chest? I'd love to hang out with you guys after the concert to do the recap."

He flashes a winning smile.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on December 03, 2014, 09:00:24 PM
Jolene takes it in in silence and a closed smile, eyes traveling between those speaking.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on December 04, 2014, 09:05:59 PM
Blinov:
Nia Tran shrugs, and looks obviously nervous. "H-hey, Blee. I, uh, can't wait for the concert. DeadHog--reminds me of the old days on Shaddai…"

Coy Lewiston looks between you and Nia. "You two know each other?" He looks at you suspiciously, then smiles. "Is NME wining and dining you too, huh? Pretty aggressive recruitment push, am I right? Well at least they sent us one of their pretty recruiters," he says, nodding his head towards Nia. "I've seen some of their other employees…well, did you ever happen to meet a Ms. Iijima?" He shudders. "Less said about her the better!"

Nia clears her throat. "Yeah, less said the better. Blinov…we'll talk after the concert…see you then"

Coy shakes his head. "Naw--why doesn't your friend come sit with us? NME's dishing out real creds to get the local businesses onboard," he tells you. "Let's take advantage of it, what do ya say?"

Denny:
While Coy and Nia are distracted by Blinov, you drop down at the back and reach under, popping open a small panel. You remember where the fan-cooling lines are on these models--even with such an advanced design and all the key features internalized, it's still vulnerable to certain design flaws. This car might make it to the concert, but it will surely overheat along the way. Time comes to start up again after the concert, it's not going anywhere.

Jolene:
You stand with Marshal Greene and Monaz, who's still chewing, but watching protectively over Blinov for some reason. "Enchanté," he says, and tries to kiss your hand with his mouth full. There are bar peanuts in his beard.

(OOC: Shall we fast-forward to the concert then? :D)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on December 05, 2014, 08:38:13 PM
"Oh, I do appreciate a cultured man," letting her hand be taken and kissed. She gives Marshal a quick pained smile before shifting into full on faking it. "I'm a touch sheltered myself, but 'shh!' don't tell nobody, OK?" Adds a conspiratorial wink, to the obvious entertainment of both Monaz & Marshal Greene. "Been around many a dome I take it, Mr....?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on December 06, 2014, 10:13:34 AM
Jolene:
"Call me Monaz," the gruff merc introduces himself, clearing his throat once his mouth is empty. "Honestly, I don't stay on Qetesh often, but I got called in to take a meeting with an energy company. The job didn't pan out, but I'm heading out to Humbaba from here, so thought I'd make the pit-stop. Yeah, these hicks aren't too bad." He snorts and spits casually. "No offense," he adds, though he doesn't seem terribly worried about offending you.

"Yer friend here just hired me for a brief engagement." He points towards Blinov. "I'll stick with you 'til you all get where you're going, then I'll split. Don't know if you were aware, but this 'Heathen Eyes' guy? One who owns this bar? Totally wackadoo, apparently." He rolls his eyes. "Doesn't care for other psychics on his turf and whatnot. Your friend seems to have the sitch handled for now though."

Marshal Greene doesn't engage in conversation with Monaz, clearly uncomfortable dealing with more shady characters today--first those twins, now this tough customer. Before he heads back to Q-Town, he sends the crew all the info he can share about the Manny Basanos disappearance in case they're curious, and about the female assassin Blinov ID'd. The latter files arrive in a folder labeled "OUTER LIMIT".
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on December 09, 2014, 10:06:15 AM
(I'm OK with skipping ahead to the concert.)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on December 09, 2014, 05:46:00 PM
(I shall have my grand concert write-up and some questions for all characters tonight! :))
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on December 11, 2014, 08:42:20 PM
Blinov is in his The Girl Who was a Butterfly Knife T shirt.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on December 13, 2014, 07:45:05 AM
Jessup Amphitheater
DeadHog with special guest DJ S'MOOV

(For achieving a personal goal and being super patient and dedicated, you all receive 600 XP!)

With the Marshall gone, you all get back in your truck and follow Coy and Nia to the concert. The amphitheater is a half-bubble-dome opening towards the crowd, with a short wall around the entrance side.

Monaz rides with you to the concert to make sure Blanco hasn't reneged on the deal and sent anyone after you. The merc determines you're in the clear, and lingers outside the concert as Coy and Nia lead you inside. It seems as long as you steer clear of Blanco's establishment and don't get too comfortable in Jessup, he'll turn the other way.

You are swiftly led to the VIP area, a dimly but colorfully lit section very close to stage-left (that's your right, looking head-on), and facing it at a 45-degree angle. DJ S'MOOV is opening, and her roadies are getting set-up. Some are clearly robots, and all of the human-looking roadies have at least one cybernetic feature to them.

Blinov:
As you are escorted up past the line, several concert-goers give you a respectful nod, looking at your T-shirt. One girl with an electronic cigarette and an afro hair-do has a slightly older, slightly more worn version of the same shirt. She looks you up and down.

Nia turns away, trying not to see that. She grabs your hand and pulls you along.

The VIP section is already populated with a few rich kids, including Venus and Dexter, whom you met at UnLocal in Q-Town.

Denny:
As you reach the VIP area, Coy shakes his head. "Man, you look so familiar. Where th' heck do I know you from? Maybe you've been to one of Dad's stupid cocktail parties?" He finds a cooler of really expensive booze and begins sorting through his options while waiting for your answer.

Jolene:
This place is so loud and getting more raucous, and the concert hasn't even started yet! There's not a wealth of entertainment options on Qetesh--have you been to a concert before? Sporting events?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on December 13, 2014, 11:47:06 AM
Denny

Thinking about how to respond so many thoughts go through Denny's head...
 This is the son of the  man who put my family out on the street...Of course I look familiar to him...my ancestors should be haunting his and his families dreams every night because of the in-justice done to us... What did father always about revenge...? How sweet....no I don't think that was what he said...but I think that's what it is


" We'll I couldn't tell ya...what do you do for a living?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on December 13, 2014, 05:44:37 PM
Not having been to so many "official" concerts or sporting events, but knowing her way around a hoedown, Jolene takes a keen eye to helping Coy select booze. Now there's something she's been raised around all her life: distillin', legal or not, has been in her blood that its like ABCs. Scanning for the choicest of single barrel malts with enough kick to bring down a mule, she will point out a few favorites, good for melting away inhibitions, memories... faces...

Listening in on Denny trying to "'round about" what seems to be an old rival (what's their deal?), she has no qualms exploiting a rich kid's stash to knock his own ass out. Denny'll just owe a favor in the future. He seems useful with tech.

Standing here all lonesome in the VIP mixin' drinks is gonna get old fast after sending ol' Coy on an 'ass findin' mission — his own'. Gotta find a cutie with some spring in his step, but none too complicated. Someone tall, dark, & handsome, but none too slick.

... gotta remember after mixin' Coy's 3rd extra stiff drink to ask Nia if she needed her man to stay all sharp and ready tonight...ish. No sense putting a girl out, 'specially a friend of a co-worker. She may have business to do.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on December 15, 2014, 12:30:50 PM
Denny:
"What do I do?" Coy Lewiston shakes his head and takes a long swig of some expensive off-world liquor. "Ah, I run Lewiston Corp for my dad--well, the day-to-day stuff. He still has final say. Heh--while he's jet setting around the sector, he left it up to me to and his army of lawyers to sort out the family business. Like handling smaller subsidiaries, modifying our product line, that sort of thing."

"Just sold off this smaller acquisition to NME, in fact," he chuckles, seeming strangely relieved. "Glad to be rid of the thing--couldn't turn a profit, really."

"That deal's not finalized yet," Nia Tran interjects, waving her hand to keep Coy quiet.

Coy hands you the bottle he was guzzling, waiting for you to drink.

Jolene:
As you hear Coy discuss business, you definitely notice his speech slurring just a bit. Nia sighs. "Thanks, but I'd prefer him tanked tonight," she explains to you. "This is just polite engagement with a potential business partner. I don't want him to get the wrong idea…" He gaze shifts to Blinov.

Coy turns to you after passing the bottle to Denny. "You…you look familiar too! I swear I've seen you around. I dunno why I can't remember shit these days." He fishes out another liquor bottle from the cooler.

"Maybe a family reunion or something?" he sniffles. "Shame if that's the case, because…yeah…" He looks at you lingeringly.

Blinov:
With Coy distracted by his drinking, Nia pulls you aside. "So…I know you were checking up on me the last few days. Now you know I work for NME. I thought if I could steer you away, you wouldn't have to know. But the money's good, Bli."

She looks at you earnestly, seeking understanding. "I know when we were kids on Shaddai we hated this corporate bullshit, but…look where that got us! Our old gang's dead or in jail, or…here!" She gestures to the Jessup dome far above the amphitheater, and flashes her middle finger in frustration. "I swore I'd never live like that again. You see that right? But I don't have any other options…"

Venus and Dexter watch as Nia presses close to you, Venus gaping in gossipy shock. Dex still looks kinda annoyed about losing that dance contest though.

DJ S'MOOV goes through her whole set--it's flawless, amazing. Her digital voice and the virtual orchestra backing her, combined with some hot four-on-the-floor beats, make a great showing of the "symphonic electro-thrash" genre. She ends her set in a glittering cloud, and she disappears backstage as the lights die down. DeadHog is setting up next…
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on December 16, 2014, 04:02:26 AM
"Enjoy the night with an old friend, sugar." Jolene gives a last exchange, knowing that at worst they can get a cab on home. "I think I can sauce this goose with a right glaze, if'n you catch my mind." I return my attentions to Coy and getting him humming along in that happy black out, but not vomiting or pass out, phase.

At Coy, "Aw shucks, you mistakin' me with one of those beauties that hangs on the arm of a powerful man like you. Bless your heart, you're tipsy!"

"You can't remember shit these days cuz you gone left your troubles behind so much you done lost a bit of yourself." Smiling and refilling Coy's drink at the same time. "That's when you're primed and ready for a new coat of somethin' wild!"

Looks off into the crowd, trying to do a solid for a few pretty girls who never been to a VIP booth, but long to do so with their eyes. Jolene actively avoids social climbers and gold diggers, if she can spot them. To Coy, "Ever dance partner with a trio? All pressed up nice like?"

Still looking for a tall, dark, & handsome to while the time. Maybe add a sweet girl for Denny while I'm browsin' to distract Coy. Reserve a nice old fashioned of 15 yr bourbon, neat, in my hands while selecting from 'the beautiful ones'.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on December 16, 2014, 08:27:50 AM
"Nia, buddy, it's concert time. I really do want to talk about this, you know it*, but we've got music to focus on at this exact moment. How about we just pretend we've got no worries in the galaxy for the rest of this, and we'll catch up on everything else afterward, over a bite? Junk food's on me."

* As he says this he gives her a look of crystal clear sincerity.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on December 17, 2014, 11:19:14 AM
Denny

"Sounds like right like a nice little transaction.. What subsidiary would that be?"

Thinking the worse...Clenching his fists...trying to remain calm....Maybe letting him go get his dance with Jo-Jo isn't such a bad idea... In fact if Blinov Occupies Nia, and JO-Jo occupies Coy, I could try to find some business paperwork in his car or somewhere about this "Transaction"....

(( Does Coy have any kind of folders/paperwork with him? Or even a wallet, That I've noticed?"))
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on December 22, 2014, 01:51:25 PM
The man himself--DEADHOG--arrives in the stadium via a personal hover plate, floating above the roaring crowd for a few seconds before floating down to the stage. His set begins with the propulsive boom  of  "Star River Jam", a bass track notable for a few false earthquake reports on planet Thalia. He proceeds to do some newer stuff, like "Digital Osmosis" and "Xperience"…

Jolene:
You spot a couple particularly attractive young folks in the crowd, a young man and two women, pressed tightly together near the front. Their clothes aren't the latest fashions from off-world, and slightly worn-looking, so they're definitely locals. The man is handsome, with a sweet face and thick-framed body, clearly a farmhand. He looks a bit like your old friend Gordy Shane.

At this point in the concert, Coy is too blurry to notice that Nia is off to Blinov's side.

Blinov:
Nia hears your words--and a wave of obvious relief washes over her face. "It can wait," she says eagerly. It's clear now she was only explaining herself out of obligation to your friendship, and she quietly sets her cheek on your shoulder.

You and Nia (and your other urchin buddies on Shaddai) always loved 'Hog's work. What's your favorite track? Do you know Nia's?

Denny:
"Subsidiary? Oh--a bunch of little local things. We threw these local acquisitions in a bundle and NME will take 'em gladly. Mostly farm-tech, uh, like farm tools…stuff…" Coy gets a little distracted and turns back towards Jolene, and then towards DeadHog, just as the 'Hog's famous slow-jam comes on…

Coy doesn't have any business-type materials with him, save the compad he keeps in his vest. He might have had something in the hovercar though.

Also, what is the name of that slow track, anyway?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on December 22, 2014, 02:47:24 PM
Jolene waves in the two women and the cutie pie farmhand for a bit of fun. To the women, "Well aren't you two just precious, like a pair o' peaches! Keep that rich boy, Coy, happily distracted tonight. The less he chews off the ears of the rest here —" gesturing to Nia and Blinov especially, " — the better." Waves magnanimously at the spread of drinks and VIP view, "Otherwise ya two have fun! If his head's clearin' up like, holla for me and I'll fix him up more of his favorite sauce. I got a good eye for bourbon, and know when to cut someone off before they misplace their ass — and lunch."

"And now fer you, sweetie pie!" pulls in handsome farmhand. "Ain't you just the thing to sweeten my tea," as Jolene holds her two-fingered bourbon measure in an old fashioned, then offers her cheek, "lay a spoonful of sugar on me, darlin'."

(I vote the DEADHOG slow song to be Voluble Unguents. Very Bolero-esque with undulating, insistent, psy-trance bass line tempo. Fornicatiorrific!)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on December 22, 2014, 05:03:09 PM
Voluble Unguents definitely sounds sleaze-tastic! If Massive Attack did porn soundtracks--there you go :D Also, let's do a Persuade roll to see the quality of the young ladies' compliance with your plan!
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on December 24, 2014, 09:04:14 AM
Blinov is partial to the song Lihtz Ond Pahttee with its watery thrum that can loosen your nails from your fingers. Nia is more into the spritely (if a song about a cybernetic tattoo gone wrong can ever be described as "spritely") Under and Over My Skin

Blinov very gently discourages Nia from leaning on him, pointing at her current beau. Good friends and that's all.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on December 29, 2014, 09:21:12 AM
"Enough business...my ears are ringing...If you'll excuse me Coy I'm going to go enjoy the rest of the concert..."

Denny head's off into the Mosh pit forming close to the stage...to "Clear" ... or maybe "Bang" his head a little...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on December 29, 2014, 12:59:26 PM
Jolene:
You find that the girls are very willing to throw themselves at a rich young man, especially a drunken one, in exchange for their admission to the VIP section. Once they get him in their sights, they team-up and whisk Coy Lewiston away to the back corner of the lounge area.

You find your new dance partner to be a happy and attentive fellow--he pecks your cheek eagerly, and is an enthusiastic dancer. Not much of a talker, but attempting serious conversation's pretty much moot with the raging churn-drop in the background.

(Rolled a 10 in the rolz room >> Jolene's Persuade was super-effective!)

Blinov:
Nia nods--it probably would be a good idea not to take things too far.

Denny:
You wade into the sea of people, finding your way to the pit. A mob of thrashing arms greets you, but you ably push back, and begin whirling in a headbanging frenzy. You are the zen in the center of the mosh pit, the raging calm in the eye of storm.

Someone next to you gets punched in the lip, and a light blood spray hits your shoulder.

(Rolled a 10 for Denny's Athletics! Too bad Blinov didn't need a roll, it probably would've come up 10 also!)

***

The concert is nearing its end--DeadHog's preparing for his final number. It's a long one off his first album so it's stylistically a little different from his general oeuvre, but it's always been his closer. They say it's supposed to have a personal meaning to the artist, but fans argue about what the song's meaning actually is.

It's called "Transform Diamond Sukiyaki". What's the backstory, as far as you know?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on December 30, 2014, 10:26:22 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;806753

It's called "Transform Diamond Sukiyaki". What's the backstory, as far as you know?


The most popular theory is that the acronym of the song title stands for "Transmitted Disease: Sexual", which is a sarcastic technical way of referring to such afflictions at this time, and that the whole thing is a pretty poetic reference to a futuristic strain of syphilis that slowly drove Hog's human musical mentor insane and made him who he is today.

Blinov doesn't believe this theory. He thinks the song is about finding inspiration in an obscure brand of motorcycle.

Nia mutters something about the Dutch when the song starts, but Blinov doesn't catch it before the volume drowns everything out.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on January 12, 2015, 01:36:00 AM
As the last song enters its final chorus, a holographic fireworks display lights up the dome far above your heads.

(Just a wee update to let you know I'm still here! More to come soon!)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on January 12, 2015, 01:58:19 AM
Jolene wraps up her modest rendition of the genteel, centuries old dance known as "twerking," famously introduced to her people by the legendary Earth princess 'Miley Cyrus'. She's an old fashioned girl at heart and appreciates the classics. Hopefully the farmhand can hang on gracefully hip-to-hip with merely one hand upon her, the other vigorously whirling around the 'lasso'. It is a deceptively hard traditional dance.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on January 12, 2015, 06:53:41 PM
Quote from: Opaopajr;808833
Jolene wraps up her modest rendition of the genteel, centuries old dance known as "twerking," famously introduced to her people by the legendary Earth princess 'Miley Cyrus'. She's an old fashioned girl at heart and appreciates the classics. Hopefully the farmhand can hang on gracefully hip-to-hip with merely one hand upon her, the other vigorously whirling around the 'lasso'. It is a deceptively hard traditional dance.


:rotfl:
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on January 15, 2015, 07:16:07 AM
DENNY

Exhausted from the intense "Moshing" and unperturbed by the  Firework's display Finale', Denny check's on his partner's ... and heads off the dance floor.... for now
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on January 17, 2015, 07:03:23 PM
Jolene:
The farmboy is suitably impressed by your traditional dance
(You're getting a few million XP for that)

Denny:
As the finale fireworks go off, one of the concert's security guards approaches you, intercepting you before you can make it back to the others. He looks at your face, then looks down at his compad, referencing some image. He motions you aside, and leans in.

"Sir, DJ S'MOOV requests you backstage…"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on January 20, 2015, 08:59:53 AM
Denny

"Ok"  says Denny...
But takes every precaution... As he follows the guard
Backstage

I say... But i'd like to roll a perception check to Get some intuition on this..

Perception = 10 (https://rolz.org/dr?room=starswithoutnumber)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on January 25, 2015, 06:49:10 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;810268
Jolene:
The farmboy is suitably impressed by your traditional dance
(You're getting a few million XP for that)

:D
So... about that XP sharing program?
:p
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on January 25, 2015, 10:10:21 AM
Quote from: Opaopajr;812217
:D
So... about that XP sharing program?
:p


*whimpers like a hungry dog*
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on February 01, 2015, 07:45:40 AM
GM, R U OK?
:thanx:
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on February 03, 2015, 07:39:14 PM
Quote from: Opaopajr;813581
R U OK?


http://youtu.be/na9O13Ts4kI
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 04, 2015, 09:09:02 AM
*crawls back from undeath*

*typing update post...* :D

Sorry about that!

Denny:
The guard leads you to the side of the stage area, where there's a short set of steps, a small metal landing, and then a stage door. Beyond the stage door is a long, red-carpeted hallway. You pass at least three more guards before reaching small lobby area with three black wooden doors and a fourth door marked EXIT. A small plate along the lobby's wall reads "TALENT"--these are the performers' dressing rooms. From this lobby there is one offshoot hallway, but it takes a sharp left bend and you cannot see where it leads.

The guard brings you to the farthest door, which is slightly ajar. There is faint sounds coming from within--dissonant, halting sounds, like someone practicing an instrument.

Is anyone else going with Denny backstage?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on February 04, 2015, 04:18:51 PM
No, Jolene wasn't explicitly invited, so she assumes this was a private affair. She'll idle around Blinov, Coy, & Nia while keeping up appearances with the pulled girls & guy from the crowd.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on February 04, 2015, 06:56:32 PM
Could Blinov talk his way into Denny's entourage?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 04, 2015, 07:31:32 PM
Oh yeah, about that--

Denny:
The security guard who summoned you looks around, then looks back at you. "You alone? DJ said you could bring whoever," he grunts. It's clear he's more used to manhandling rowdy patrons than talking to people.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on February 05, 2015, 04:29:02 PM
Denny

"Hold on a sec" Denny says to the Security Guard as he pulls out his compad

* Text to blinov and JoJo *

"Meet me over by the stage"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on February 05, 2015, 05:44:55 PM
Blinov heads over.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on February 06, 2015, 03:36:46 PM
/receiving text on compad.

*sigh* And with a perfectly good dance partner, too.

Jolene leans into farm boy and beckons him to crouch closer. "I had fun, sweetie pie. You'll please a respectable lady yet. But I gotta go be a level head to me and mine... you know how business can be.

"Got a name & number? I ain't fully in the reins of where I may be next. But maybe next time I'm around we can polish the dance floor, sugar."

Ends this conversation with a peck on his cheek, hesitates, then steals a quick kiss on his lips and goes.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 08, 2015, 09:40:30 PM
Jolene:
The farmboy blushes profusely when he gets the peck on the cheek, and gives you his contact info--his name is Leland Warner, and he's a Jessup-native.

Everyone:
Once Denny's "plus-twos" are gathered, the security guard sighs. "Okay, is this it?" he asks Denny. "S'MOOV is waiting backstage..."

The guard leads you to the side of the stage area, where there's a short set of steps, a small metal landing, and then a stage door. Beyond the stage door is a long, red-carpeted hallway. You pass at least three more guards before reaching small lobby area with three black wooden doors and a fourth door marked EXIT. A small plate along the lobby's wall reads "TALENT"--these are the performers' dressing rooms. From this lobby there is one offshoot hallway, but it takes a sharp left bend and you cannot see where it leads.

The guard brings you to the farthest door, which is slightly ajar. There is faint sounds coming from within--dissonant, halting sounds, like someone practicing an instrument.

Inside, sitting cross-legged on a long rectangular couch is DJ S'MOOV, still in the shimmering jumpsuit she wore during her set. As you all enter, she looks up from her guitar. "Oh--Denny," she says, her semi-synthesized voice carrying a hint of relief. "I wasn't sure you'd make it back here. These concerts can get kind of crazy. And who are your friends?" She looks at Blinov and Jolene expectantly.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on February 11, 2015, 05:10:24 PM
Denny

"This is Blinov and this is Jolene, they're co-workers...Friends too. Blinov and Joleen this is DJ Smoov...What can we do for you "
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 15, 2015, 02:28:05 PM
S'MOOV is wearing a sequined flight-suit, slightly different from the one she wore for her set at UnLocal the other night.

"Ah, you made it," she says with relief, the wispy, re-dubbed digital tone of her voice hitting a high note. "Nice to meet you all. Did you enjoy the show?" When she asks this, it's more like a formality. You can see the distraction on her face--she doesn't seem to care if she was a hit tonight. She forces a smile as she leans back onto the couch and sets down her instrument, a keytar-like rectangle.

She waits until the security guard leaves, closing the door behind him with a loud click.

Her forced smile drops immediately as she bolts up from the couch. "We don't have much time," she says. "Denny, I'm sorry to lure you here like this, but I need assistance."

She scans everyone present, looking at Blinov and Jolene as well. "I know who you are--who you work for. I need the Perimeter Agency's help. If I don't leave the DeadHog tour tonight, I'm dead…"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on February 16, 2015, 12:50:53 PM
(of course this would happen when we're all unarmed. I'm pretty sure I mentioned that Blinov was carrying the medkits.)

Blinov looks around the room for anything that could be converted into a weapon. A shiv, a bludgeon, something flammable or explosive, whatever.

He also scans for escape routes. Is there anywhere to jump from, and how deadly would it be? Any drapes, curtains, emergency fire hoses that could be used for climbing or as a distraction?

Air vents?

Did any of the security people look bribeable?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on February 16, 2015, 07:40:43 PM
"Ooh, sneakin' a girl on out. Where's my kinfolk at a time like this? This is somethin' I grew up on. Mind you, my brothers on Waldo would have dared an extra few years for a beauty like you." Miss Rydell lingers smiling on happy memories of youth.

"Now what would my family do...?"
(Jolene dips into her family history, Qetesh or Waldo, and Perception to see what she could cook up. Her brothers & cousins in prison would likely have more hardcore plans. Ideally something more whiskey run than prison break.)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on February 17, 2015, 10:12:21 AM
Denny

"Anything for you Smoov..., but if we're gonna help you out, you gotta help us out... Who's after you and what's going on..."

OOC: How far away from our pickup are we?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 19, 2015, 10:44:46 AM
Denny and all:

S'MOOV swishes her arms nervously at her sides. "It's the Concordat--the Holy Union."

"I...was sent here to spy on the Titan Protectorate, to infiltrate it under the cover of a musical act. I was just a back-up singer before the Concordat found me, augmented me...made me over. And now--" she makes a sweeping gesture along the side of her body.

"Do you know how many dignitaries I've dined with? How many powerful business moguls who are just big fans? They don't know what they're getting into. My body is wired to absorb information and send it out into the ether in bite-sized packets..."

"Before this concert, I re-routed my central transmitter, here." She unzips her jumpsuit to her chest, where there is a quarter-sized diamond-shaped wound.

"I'm tired of playing in their games..."

(The pickup is parked near the front of the arena, and the stage/dressing rooms are at the far back. To find and leave thru a rear exit, it might take ten, twelve minutes or so to reach the front lot.)

Blinov:

There are several musical instruments scattered about the room that could be repurposed as makeshift clubs. The Thalian zither (a sort of dulcimer/lute hybrid with a whammy bar) can be broken to make a decent shiv if needed.

The room has very small air vents and no windows. You recall seeing a window back in the hallway, along with several mystery doors.

Jolene:
(I've some info in response to Jolene's planning, posting later today!)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on February 19, 2015, 10:50:53 PM
Denny

" So are you transmitting right now? "

OOC: Does Denny know who the Titan Protectorate and Concordat are?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 21, 2015, 08:38:10 PM
(Yes, as basic history knowledge--Titan Protectorate is government in this "region" of space, a handful of planets including Qetesh. Denny's homeworld Kazo is a "provisional territory" of the Protectorate. Here's ye olde wiki  (http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/SWN_On_the_Perimeter/Main_Page)I need to update soon. Concordat hasn't been super relevant in the game so far, but they're the religious faction that seceded from the Protectorate some time ago. They're sort of in Cold War mode.)

Denny:
S'MOOV shakes her head. "No...I have a certain window of time before they get a bead on me. Probably a few hours, at best. If I can get to Humbaba...I can get it deactivated permanently..."

Blinov:
The guards you've seen and the one that escorted you all work for the Jessup amphitheater. They generally seem attentive, but the one who led you here was indifferent and possibly bribeable. Any security staff that arrived on the planet with the tour are keeping a low profile.

Jolene:
You recall you once heard Cousin Ralphie tell a story about his celly stowing away with the laundry--made it to the Outer Yard before being caught. Of course, another inmate tried that trick the week after. Accidentally got inside the laundry's DISCARD bin and ended up in the incinerator...

However, the way your Auntie Mayfly tells it (Ralphie's mom and herself a veteran of Waldo) camouflage would be the way to go. Laundry works, industrial equipment or vehicles if you lay hands on 'em...

(Coincidentally, what is the legal status of The Rydell Family in general? Does Jojo have a lot of relatives behind bars? I'm sure she and Blinov could swap stories about the many people they know on Waldo :D)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on February 23, 2015, 01:17:35 PM
So, whose for combining Jo's laundry plan with bribing a guard to seal the deal?

Any large carts we could hide S'MOOV in lying around?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 24, 2015, 07:55:48 AM
On the way to the room you saw some large cases, likely for audio equipment--one might be large enough for S'MOOV to fit within. There could be more cases in the other dressing rooms. S'MOOV has a crate for her synths in her room that is much too small to hide her.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on February 25, 2015, 08:03:23 AM
"I think the operative idea here's camouflage, as I reckon a concert ain't doin' much in the way of laundry right after a show'n all." Starts typing up on her compad for any public map layouts of this arena. "That and the last thing I want is for us to end up in an incinerator."

"S'MOOV, sweety, ya think I can access a digital map of this here arena's blueprint layout without triggerin' all sorts of security warnin's?"
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on February 25, 2015, 02:30:22 PM
Denny

Denny takes some quick measurements of the sound equipment crates...

"Are you closterphobic Smoov?"

OOC: We could also pack her in one of the sound crates and pretend to be part of the stage-hands...wheel her right out to the pickup
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 27, 2015, 10:38:33 AM
Jolene:
Smoov nods. "I think it shouldn't be a problem," she says, and sure enough she brings a shematic up on yout pad. It's primarily for fire-exits and isn't fully labeled, but it'll have to do.

(Making the map--should have it ready tonight :D)

Denny:
Smoov shakes her head. "No, I don't really mind tight spaces...why?" she asks. "Oh...I see. Well, if you think that'll work best..."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on February 27, 2015, 10:47:09 AM
"Won't people expect S'MOOV to wander 'round more than us, Denny? We'd need staff ID, and maybe weeks of integration, to get away with wanderin' round like a goat."

"Ooh, wait, maybe there's small time contractors doin' business for the arena! Let's all take a look and decide which'll be easiest. I sorta want a nice costume, maybe one with a cute logo for the pickup..."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 27, 2015, 11:18:39 AM
Jolene:
"Hm...perhaps either the maintenance staff or the caterers would work?" Smoov guesses. "Caterers are probably prepping for the afterparty..."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on February 27, 2015, 03:26:27 PM
"I got this," says Blinov. "I'll head over to the caterers and secure a food cart or something. I'll assess the guards' readiness and positions while I'm at it too."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 28, 2015, 12:08:19 PM
Here is a general map of the amphitheater region. At the moment, you're somewhere around the "a" in "Backstage" :D

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/OhSiris/Jessup%20Amphitheater.jpg)
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on March 05, 2015, 01:35:34 PM
Blinov heads out the service entrance to find the things mentioned in the previous post.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on March 08, 2015, 10:38:08 AM
Denny

"Sounds Good, I'll go pull up the pickup to the backof the service entrance..."
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on March 11, 2015, 10:23:47 AM
Blinov:
The caterers are busily prepping for the after-party. The food they're preparing--it's more decadent than anything served in your home hood on Shaddai. And this is just finger-food to these people...

There is no security where the caterers are prepping, so it's not hard to steal away a cart with minimal fuss.

There are two armed men at the service entrance. They're wearing long jackets, and don't seem to be the same security as the men inside the amphitheater. These must be with the tour. Their laser pistols are sitting in chest-holsters, clearly visible beneath their coats.

Denny:
Which exit are you using to go get the truck?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on March 11, 2015, 11:39:33 AM
Denny heads back out to the main Entrance of the concert hall to exit to the parking lot, trying to mingle with The Public and look incospicious...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Mr. Kent on March 22, 2015, 12:20:43 AM
Denny - DeadHog's encore is longer than expected, and it's not that hard to get through the crowd unnoticed--mostly. Coy Lewiston sees you from a distance, but you don't think he's sober enough to be curious about your exit.

Jolene - While the boys secure the ride and the cover, what are you and DJ S'MOOV up to?
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on March 23, 2015, 06:24:50 AM
Blinov acquires a cart, preferably with a long table-cloth over it, and brings it back to the group.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on March 24, 2015, 08:27:09 AM
Jolene is dressing up as close to the catering service uniform as possible. She will also try to get a mock uniform for DJ SMOOV, too. White linen with painted on caterer logos?

Ideally a food service uniform that goes under a fancy pull-away talent costume top. That way she can wave away some security at the start with her obvious talent attire, and then hop into the food cart, rip off her pull-away costume, and be snuck out the service entrance. Then she can look like a food server once we're all in the pickup truck heading back, in case we're pulled over.

"Now what sort of concealer'll covers up your electronics, sweetie?" Helps apply make-up onto DJ SMOOV, looking like a make-up artist in case anyone pops in. "And any clothes or accessories you just can't live without? I got a backpack purse, and I know you'll want something afterwards."

"Ooh, that one's nice. Very evening. Every woman needs a little black dress. On loan for the tour?" Points out a pair or two of fashionable but sensible running shoes to be separated for the cart. "Just in case we gotta run, dear."

Slips into girl talk as she lets DJ SMOOV select extra clothes to stash away for our exit into her new life. It'll comforting to us and innocuous to eavesdroppers at the same time.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: RookieRPG on March 25, 2015, 12:20:08 PM
Denny

Denny hops into the pickup truck and makes his way to the rear entrance...
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Shipyard Locked on March 27, 2015, 12:27:56 PM
Blinov is sad to be missing the end of the concert. :(

But the job comes first. He goes into lookout mode.
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on April 14, 2015, 07:31:12 PM
[Jolene attacks the gazebo.]
Title: (IC - SWN) On the Perimeter
Post by: Opaopajr on April 19, 2015, 06:02:38 PM
"DJ SMOOV, honey? Here's something they taught us in my charm school!"
[Jolene dances & cartwheels over the food service cart like Tawny Kitaen in Whitesnake videos.]
"They said it was how our ancestors swayed men's hearts, showing grace and balance!"