This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.
The message boards have been upgraded. Please log in to your existing account by clicking here. It will ask twice, so that it can properly update your password and login information. If it has trouble recognizing your password, click the 'Forgot your password?' link to reset it with a new password sent to your email address on file.

Author Topic: (IC OD&D) Against the North.  (Read 5950 times)

mindcontrolsquid

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 26
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 12:03:09 pm »
Quote from: Makofan;878427
Random nervously agrees with the hiring. "Half shares sounds fair. Now we need some money. Let's set off now"


"Then we're all agreed? Excellent! Let us set out as soon as possible. To adventure!" Sander holds his fist aloft at his last exclamation, looking somewhat ridiculous.

wrymspear

  • Náströnd
  • Newbie
  • *
  • w
  • Posts: 24
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 09:26:07 pm »
Esgalán stares at Sander in disbelief.

(All in Elvish)
"Don't ever do that again," he rasps. Then sets off.

---

OOC: I'm sure we're not equipped to tackle 40-400 Goblins, but hey. Let's get there :)

Opaopajr

  • Señor Wences
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7364
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 11:12:09 pm »
/whistles while he works. yes, it sounds like the dwarves from Snow White.
Just make your fuckin' guy and roll the dice, you pricks. Focus on what's interesting, not what gives you the biggest randomly generated virtual penis.  -- J Arcane
 
You know, people keep comparing non-TSR D&D to deck-building in Magic: the Gathering. But maybe it's more like Katamari Damacy. You keep sticking shit on your characters until they are big enough to be a star.
-- talysman

Arkansan

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1185
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2016, 10:53:34 am »
Quote from: Spinachcat;878292
Grunhilda follows the two men and the Elf about the Keep, becoming ever more impatient with the useless haggling with babbling fools.  She smells the greed on Jem and John, and she almost offers them a "double share of the spoils", but she is wise enough to know her tone would immediately betray her plan for these two to never make it back alive.

She returns to Sir Halter's tent, spits into her hands to wash her face and brush back her hair. After a moment to compose herself, she barges past any guards and gruffly barks to all in the room:

"Halter Man Knight, your townsfolk will be useless when the goblins come here. You say goblins gather two days hence.  You say goblins took your temple of Stalf the Man Godling. I tell you goblin magic steals power from that temple.  They will not lay siege here. They will slaughter."

Before he can respond, she pounds his desk and says "I need meat and mead. The men need bread, but the Elf can eat flowers. Provision us and we leave at dawn before the goblins come to you."

Grunhilda crosses her arms, curses the goblins with foul Dwarven oaths, and waits for his answer.


(Terribly Sorry I missed this post entirely but for the sake of completion will say that Halter reluctantly agreed to provide 4 days of rations for each member of the party)

Sander, Esgalan, Random, Grunhilda, Bill, and the brother Jem and John make good time for the first day of the journey passing strangely enough not a single soul. The dirt path that passes for a road makes the going easy and the land is only lightly wooded thus far though toward the end of the day getting quite hilly.

It seems Sir Halter wasn't the most accurate in his direction, while this is certainly the correct road it run a bit north and east rather than true north. Either way not particularly a set back and by far the most interesting happening of the day.

The suns light begins to fade from the sky as your first day of travel comes to close.

Werekoala

  • I\'m Toxic and I know It
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4373
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2016, 12:15:23 pm »
About an hour before dark, scout around a bit for a good place to camp and start rounding up firewood.

"Mm... iron rations, my favorite..."
Lan Astaslem


"It's rpg.net The population there would call the Second Coming of Jesus Christ a hate crime." - thedungeondelver

"They don't fucking think for even a second about what they're doing because they're blinded by their ideology....Idiots." -  Sacrosanct

wrymspear

  • Náströnd
  • Newbie
  • *
  • w
  • Posts: 24
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2016, 07:46:14 pm »
(Elvish)
"I have good eyes for the night," Esgalán tells anyone who understands Elvish. "Let the Men take the first watch, while the night is yet young. I will take the middnight watch. The Dwarf can take the dawn watch."

Esgalán takes a frugal meal from his supply waybread and a sup of his wine, before huddling down in his grey-green cloak to get some sleep before his watch.

---

OOC: Six days of waybread remaining.  Let morning come!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:15:27 am by wrymspear »

Makofan

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • M
  • Posts: 54
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2016, 09:36:38 pm »
Quote from: wrymspear;878802
(Elvish)
"I have good eyes for the night," Esgalán tells anyone who understands Elvish. "Let the Men take the first watch, while the night is yet young. I will take the middnight watch. The Dwarf can take the dawn watch."

Esgalán take a frugal meal from his waybread and a sup of his wine, before huddling down in his grey-green cloak to get some sleep before his watch.

---

OOC: Six days of waybread remaining.  Let morning come!

Random follows the elf's plan
 

mindcontrolsquid

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 26
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2016, 11:18:09 pm »
As does Sander.

Opaopajr

  • Señor Wences
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7364
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 01:13:02 pm »
Gillibrecht ends his workday and goes around the neighborhood to chat with fellow town vendors to see how business is doing. Ideally several of us would meet in a tavern or private home where a small cask of mead is tapped. He'll sit and try to listen, but intemperance will get the best of him and try to control any nearby conversation by being a know-it-all. He thinks he's being helpful!

Gillibrecht wants to see what mutual supply needs can be done with local gatherers, but he's also curious how much the new traveling merchants have helped or hurt business.
Just make your fuckin' guy and roll the dice, you pricks. Focus on what's interesting, not what gives you the biggest randomly generated virtual penis.  -- J Arcane
 
You know, people keep comparing non-TSR D&D to deck-building in Magic: the Gathering. But maybe it's more like Katamari Damacy. You keep sticking shit on your characters until they are big enough to be a star.
-- talysman

Arkansan

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1185
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 08:18:08 pm »
The nights watch passes uneventfully, the brother Jem and John spend a good deal of time quite excitedly pondering what they will do with their shares which they are quite sure will cannot be anything less than enormous as they are certain great riches await them all. It seem the brother are optimists in all things.

The dawn breaks cold and grey and distant clouds bring rumor of rain.

Meanwhile back in town Gillibrecht spent his night aleing with his fellow shop keeps. The mood is a sour one, the locals are sure that nothing good can come of this push to reclaim the north. The price of food in town has already risen with the influx of locals and with the fish trade to Stalf's Refuge further north slowed down it isn't likely to get better. There have already been a half dozen brawls between short tempered northmen and impetuous southern adventurers.

wrymspear

  • Náströnd
  • Newbie
  • *
  • w
  • Posts: 24
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2016, 03:46:40 am »
Esgalán scans the surrounds for sign of any prominence, bluff, ridge or other natural vantage which might be scaled in hope of sighting the supposed abbey.  If any such is about, he strides off to get a good look around--being cautious to conceal himself from sight as he approaches the summit of course...

Makofan

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • M
  • Posts: 54
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2016, 12:29:46 pm »
Random prepares himself to head out to riches
 

mindcontrolsquid

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 26
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2016, 06:01:06 pm »
Sander will try to settle the "J" brothers, urging them to exercise caution on the journey. Rash action will only serve to endanger the expedition.

Opaopajr

  • Señor Wences
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7364
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2016, 06:44:18 pm »
Gillibrecht talks to the town butchers and fishmongers to see if he can get their support for petitioning Sir Halter. The petition is for securing the path to Stalf's Refuge — and to collect game to provide for the town. Not only does it provide resources, it gets more impetuous Southern adventurers out of the community's hair.

Gillibrecht wants, besides the butchers' good will, access to some of the bones for fletching cheap arrows and studding mauls. Maybe he can get a fishmonger order for quality fish spitting sticks, too.

(He also racks his local knowledge about whose game collecting job this will interfere with. No sense getting on the bad side of a desperate, powerful ranger or the like.)
Just make your fuckin' guy and roll the dice, you pricks. Focus on what's interesting, not what gives you the biggest randomly generated virtual penis.  -- J Arcane
 
You know, people keep comparing non-TSR D&D to deck-building in Magic: the Gathering. But maybe it's more like Katamari Damacy. You keep sticking shit on your characters until they are big enough to be a star.
-- talysman

Spinachcat

  • Toxic SocioCat
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • S
  • Posts: 13984
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2016, 06:44:28 pm »
Grunhilda volunteers for her mule to carry the "rations" from Sir Halter. Do humans really eat this crap? Dried sausage? Ha, that pig had fur and a long tail. Oh well, she's too hungry to complain aloud...much.

She tells the group "Four days food for seven travelers, plus enough water belongs on a mule. Save your hands for weapons."
 
On the way out of town, Grunhilda passes Gillibrecht's weapon's stall, sneering with disdain. Fool human calls these clubs? Bah, his twigs would snap upon a goblin's shield!

She trudges the dirt path with her mule, careful to stay in the center of the group so those men in the back and the front catch the arrows first...

At night, Grunhilda takes her watch without comment, particularly focused on the nearby hills. She absentmindedly muses killing Jem in his sleep with a quick axe chop to his throat, just wondering how his brother would fare without him.

[OCC: Does Grunhilda have any dwarf sense about these hills? AKA, does she suspect they are dug with warrens? Any sign about that anything moves below the ground?]