This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.
The message boards have been upgraded. Please log in to your existing account by clicking here. It will ask twice, so that it can properly update your password and login information. If it has trouble recognizing your password, click the 'Forgot your password?' link to reset it with a new password sent to your email address on file.

Author Topic: (IC OD&D) Against the North.  (Read 5953 times)

Opaopajr

  • Señor Wences
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7364
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2016, 06:49:50 pm »
{Things can't be all that bad with these newcomers. I mean, a dwarf smiled at me while I was working, obviously admiring my workmanship! This little fort town might become a recognized cosmopolitan place yet.}
:)
Just make your fuckin' guy and roll the dice, you pricks. Focus on what's interesting, not what gives you the biggest randomly generated virtual penis.  -- J Arcane
 
You know, people keep comparing non-TSR D&D to deck-building in Magic: the Gathering. But maybe it's more like Katamari Damacy. You keep sticking shit on your characters until they are big enough to be a star.
-- talysman

Arkansan

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1189
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2016, 04:32:13 pm »
Quote from: wrymspear;879044
Esgalán scans the surrounds for sign of any prominence, bluff, ridge or other natural vantage which might be scaled in hope of sighting the supposed abbey.  If any such is about, he strides off to get a good look around--being cautious to conceal himself from sight as he approaches the summit of course...


There is one hill a mile or so north of the campsite that is a bit taller than the rest. From the summit he can get a reasonable view of the course ahead. The abbey, as reported by Sir Halter, is just a bit west of the road. A few small plumes of smoke can be seen rising from within it walls and one building can be seen to stand above the others, it appears to be some sort of cathedral though small for that designation. It's hard to make out much detail at this distance. You'd surmise that there is roughly a half days walk ahead. Likely the going will be dangerous from here on out, and you can't help but feel as if there are eyes upon you.

Quote from: mindcontrolsquid;879147
Sander will try to settle the "J" brothers, urging them to exercise caution on the journey. Rash action will only serve to endanger the expedition.


The brothers, take the rebuke well enough but seem a little disappointed.

Quote from: Spinachcat;879166
Grunhilda volunteers for her mule to carry the "rations" from Sir Halter. Do humans really eat this crap? Dried sausage? Ha, that pig had fur and a long tail. Oh well, she's too hungry to complain aloud...much.

She tells the group "Four days food for seven travelers, plus enough water belongs on a mule. Save your hands for weapons."
 
On the way out of town, Grunhilda passes Gillibrecht's weapon's stall, sneering with disdain. Fool human calls these clubs? Bah, his twigs would snap upon a goblin's shield!

She trudges the dirt path with her mule, careful to stay in the center of the group so those men in the back and the front catch the arrows first...

At night, Grunhilda takes her watch without comment, particularly focused on the nearby hills. She absentmindedly muses killing Jem in his sleep with a quick axe chop to his throat, just wondering how his brother would fare without him.

[OCC: Does Grunhilda have any dwarf sense about these hills? AKA, does she suspect they are dug with warrens? Any sign about that anything moves below the ground?]


Grunhilda senses that within these hills there may in fact be tunnels. There is a vague feeling as if shadows could be darting in and out of hidden ways.

Quote from: Opaopajr;879165
Gillibrecht talks to the town butchers and fishmongers to see if he can get their support for petitioning Sir Halter. The petition is for securing the path to Stalf's Refuge — and to collect game to provide for the town. Not only does it provide resources, it gets more impetuous Southern adventurers out of the community's hair.

Gillibrecht wants, besides the butchers' good will, access to some of the bones for fletching cheap arrows and studding mauls. Maybe he can get a fishmonger order for quality fish spitting sticks, too.

(He also racks his local knowledge about whose game collecting job this will interfere with. No sense getting on the bad side of a desperate, powerful ranger or the like.)


Several of the towns butchers and fish mongers do find merit to the idea of petitioning Sir Halter. If he is going to be around he might as well make himself useful they reason. Halter is perturbed by their petition but feels the need to make some platitude, he offers that he has already sent a party to make an incursion against the abbey that is the source of much of the delay along the route to Stalf's Refuge. If the party returns with some progress made he offers to attempt to round a larger expedition to clear the ruins.

Werekoala

  • I\'m Toxic and I know It
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4373
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2016, 08:03:04 pm »
Bill casually walks on the flank of the party nearest the densest of the trees/cover (alternating his path as necessary), his bow lightly gripped in one hand making small, random patterns as he walks. His eyes never leave the road, not entirely, as he silently whistles to himself.

(needless to say, keeping a sharp eye out for any possible ambush)
Lan Astaslem


"It's rpg.net The population there would call the Second Coming of Jesus Christ a hate crime." - thedungeondelver

"They don't fucking think for even a second about what they're doing because they're blinded by their ideology....Idiots." -  Sacrosanct

mindcontrolsquid

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 26
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2016, 08:19:23 pm »
Sander takes point, instructing Jem and John to stay close at hand.

Makofan

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • M
  • Posts: 54
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2016, 10:37:16 am »
"So, what's the best way to approach this?" asks Random
 

Spinachcat

  • Toxic SocioCat
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • S
  • Posts: 13984
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2016, 01:47:29 pm »
Grunhilda watches the darting shadows with increasing anger. Goblins! Vermin in the dark! Eaters of babes! Trespassers in the hallowed bosom of the earth!  

She snatches up her axes and turns on Random the Cleric with a snarl, "the best approach is not to walk into a goblin trap!"

She lumbers to Esgalán, staying in his shadow. "Elf, I need your eyes. These hills have warrens. Maybe just small burrowers, but maybe large enough for a goblin ambush and maybe even a way into the Man Temple. Will you come with me to find the entrances? We could use the Humans as a distraction."

Opaopajr

  • Señor Wences
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7364
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2016, 05:07:48 pm »
Quote from: Arkansan;879418
Several of the towns butchers and fish mongers do find merit to the idea of petitioning Sir Halter. If he is going to be around he might as well make himself useful they reason. Halter is perturbed by their petition but feels the need to make some platitude, he offers that he has already sent a party to make an incursion against the abbey that is the source of much of the delay along the route to Stalf's Refuge. If the party returns with some progress made he offers to attempt to round a larger expedition to clear the ruins.


Gillibrecht will return to Sir Halter afterwards and ask if he's been seeing able fighters without weapons.

"Hello Sir, may Sol smile upon the empire and our slice of civilization. I was curious, Sir Halter, if you have seen able fighters approach you to work, but have no arms to expand the empire? Perhaps, since I work in woodshaped goods, I can fill a small contract for you of spears and javelins?

That way any able-bodied, and violent, arm can go immediately into work for the empire without loitering about trying to scramble up a means to ends..."

/looking ecstatic to the heavens

"And then in glorious triumph they can thrust forth the ever-piercing rays of Sol's divinity unto the darkness and bring peace to the land! Iä, Iä, His burning justice is with us forever!"

/the moment passes, looks flush and mildly embarrassed

"Thank you for your time. Maybe you visit my shack one day for tea and pickles and to assess my wares — and thus the size of the order you would like? Yes?"
Just make your fuckin' guy and roll the dice, you pricks. Focus on what's interesting, not what gives you the biggest randomly generated virtual penis.  -- J Arcane
 
You know, people keep comparing non-TSR D&D to deck-building in Magic: the Gathering. But maybe it's more like Katamari Damacy. You keep sticking shit on your characters until they are big enough to be a star.
-- talysman

wrymspear

  • Náströnd
  • Newbie
  • *
  • w
  • Posts: 24
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2016, 04:15:43 am »
Esgalán consents to a search of the hills for tunnels or back entrances with a grunt, then sets about it.

He says to Sander:
(In Elvish)
"Keep these fools well out of sight of the abbey; for 'tis held against us.  I will have a look around, and return by noon.  If any Man here hath woodcraft, he should do like wise."

Then he pulls the grey-green hood of his cloak over his head, and sets off briskly to do a wide scan of the area, aiming to be stealthy above all else, and certainly not be seen from the abbey.

mindcontrolsquid

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 26
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2016, 01:08:12 pm »
Sander attempts to draw the remaining party members together in a tight formation.

"Do not go too far afield, elf-scout. I'll not be taken unawares by the goblin scourge in these hills, so far from safety. Their numbers could be exceedingly great, and better not to scatter our forces about before they rear their heads."

Arkansan

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1189
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2016, 11:49:15 am »
Quote from: wrymspear;879768
Esgalán consents to a search of the hills for tunnels or back entrances with a grunt, then sets about it.

He says to Sander:
(In Elvish)
"Keep these fools well out of sight of the abbey; for 'tis held against us.  I will have a look around, and return by noon.  If any Man here hath woodcraft, he should do like wise."

Then he pulls the grey-green hood of his cloak over his head, and sets off briskly to do a wide scan of the area, aiming to be stealthy above all else, and certainly not be seen from the abbey.


It takes you some time to scan the area cautiously, the terrain is rough and there is some vegetation to further slow your progress. After perhaps a couple of hours of searching you notice something. What appears to be a hillock on the other side of the road from the campsite (east) and perhaps three miles distant. However something is off. Some sort of movement perhaps? Suddenly a section of the hillock rolls away, several goblins appear in what is obviously some sort of hidden entryway.

A small band is gathering now there are perhaps six of them? Worse still they are bringing mounts up out of the darkness, savage looking wolves. Within a moment the small party is mounted and riding off, it appears that they are headed toward the campsite. Your party seems to have been made Esgalan however seems to have remained hidden.

The goblins must be stronger than thought in this area to be so bold as to move under the light of day.

mindcontrolsquid

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 26
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2016, 03:22:26 pm »
If Sander is aware of what Esgalan has discovered, he will steel himself for battle and prepare the rest of the party to do the same. "Do not allow them to outflank you! Stand your ground!"

wrymspear

  • Náströnd
  • Newbie
  • *
  • w
  • Posts: 24
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2016, 06:58:36 pm »
(Assuming he is too far from the camp for the others to see any of this)
Esgalán marks the cave entry in his mind--planning to return later--then quickly estimates whether he could make it back to warn the others ahead of the wolf riders.
 
If it seems plausible he can forewarn the company, he immediately runs back to do so.  If the wolf riders come within bowshot on this dash, Esgalán takes advantage of his ability to fire on the move to harry them as he goes.

If there seems no hope that he can reach the company in time, he instead plans a route behind, alongside, or to intercept the wolf riders in order to harry them with bow shot. Perhaps he can draw a couple of them off?

---
OOC:

If it comes to exchanging missiles then, because I'm assuming my guy has the same move rate as a mounted giant wolf (12") and can shoot on the move, my elf will aim to maintain approximately a medium range elf-bow shot between himself and the wolf riders.

Also, I don't think I posted this anywhere, but can we presume my guy has memorised a Sleep spell for this adventure?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 03:43:09 am by wrymspear »

Spinachcat

  • Toxic SocioCat
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • S
  • Posts: 13984
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2016, 02:11:04 am »
Grunhilda, who has been shadowing Esgalan in the search for concealed passages, is disturbed by the news of the goblin riders, but not surprised. As her only missile weapon is her daggers, she opts to keep her hand axes ready instead for close combat.

She is concerned Esgalan's bowshots may draw the goblins upon her and him, she is unsure how they can make any unified attack with the Humans from the camp.

[OCC - I am a bit confused on ranges here. How much space is there between the goblins and the camp and us?]

Makofan

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • M
  • Posts: 54
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2016, 07:01:00 pm »
I am assuming Random does not see the approaching riders?
 

Werekoala

  • I\'m Toxic and I know It
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4373
    • View Profile
(IC OD&D) Against the North.
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2016, 10:49:11 pm »
Bill does a quick look-around for suitable covering terrain from which to fire his bow.
Lan Astaslem


"It's rpg.net The population there would call the Second Coming of Jesus Christ a hate crime." - thedungeondelver

"They don't fucking think for even a second about what they're doing because they're blinded by their ideology....Idiots." -  Sacrosanct