TheRPGSite

Other Games, Development, & Campaigns => Play by Post Games => Topic started by: Opaopajr on August 20, 2014, 05:55:24 PM

Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 20, 2014, 05:55:24 PM
Important NPCs -- Livonia's Lament


Mayor/Judge "The Duke." Duke Silver. Male mountain dwarf. Embodiment of laissez faire, and perfectly fine with disorder, as long as it doesn't affect him.

Sheriff: Billy Good Legs. Male wood elf. Slow spoken, humorless, dead-eye shot. Avoids socializing and, like a snake, you don't see him strike.

Deputy: Groundhog Joon. Above average size human male. Talkative, nosy, tries to seem like your friend, likes things orderly-like.

Preacher: "Preacher Sometimes." Dispirited human male heading towards the sauce. Barely maintains his bi-weekly services with all the funerals he must do.

Doctor/counselor: "Sister Joyous." Beatific human female, kind eyes of few words. Under the preacher's religious authority, but given quite free rein.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 20, 2014, 05:56:04 PM
Primary Locations - Livonia's Lament

Main Street
Town Core/Well/Hitching Posts/Bulletin Board

Roughly 1/2 mile long. Well is at midpoint, so Uptown and Downtown are around 1/4 mile each.

Area: The main drag flanked by well-built buildings towards the main entrance and terminating in slapped up shacks from rapid expansion. Mount hitching posts and troughs line streets along the better business half. A well with a bulletin board next to it is halfway up the street, off to the side for vehicle traffic.

------------------------

Geraldine's
Main Saloon/City Hall/Courthouse/Bulletin Board

Owner: Geraldine. Big, brassy dwarf woman with a heart of gold. Upstanding, established citizen.

Area: Mostly clean, given the customer volume, and the more respectable meeting area among saloons. Large dining rooms in the back, boarder bedrooms above, piano and dais area near bar in the main room. Bedrooms are not for sex trade, though a blind eye is turned on working a room.

Bartenders/servers:
Georgette - Rough and tumble human female who's a charmer, and good singer.
Iodargyrite (a.k.a. Iodar) - Dwarf male with a welcoming reserve. Long on listening, short on words.
Grath - Human male heavy with intimidating glare, which he tries to use rarely. Big softy.

Piano Man: Fontaine, stout halfling male. Current bard in residence, genial, excruciatingly polite — a survival trait — and discreet local gossip.

Menu

Special: Mesquite Big Horn Sheep with Red Grass Grain & Pine Nut Pilaf — 8 sp

Roasted Ground Squirrel, Corn Pone, & Nettle Greens  — 1 sp

Succotash & Rattler Bits — 6 cp

Dried Brook Trout Fritters — 4 cp

Bar

Ale (4%), gallon — 2 sp, mug — 4 cp

Small Beer (2%), gal. — 1 sp, mug — 2 cp

Whiskey, well — 3 cp/shot, top shelf — 6+ cp/shot

Sage & Chamomile Tea, pot — 8 cp, cup — 2 cp

---------------

Vaux's Tools & Dried Goods Store
Tools & Dried Goods

Owner: Vaux. Quiet, unassuming, lightfoot halfling. Knows most people in town better than most, but won't readily gossip.

Area: Orderly and well maintained throughout, the first half displays dried goods, such as beans, salt, spices, and the like in barrels. More valuable items tend to hang near or behind the large counter. Deeper in comes an army of shelves, carrying tools and supplies. and among them a ladder.


----------------

"House of Nerds"/Elder's Place
'Post Office'/'Records'/'Bank'/Bulletin Board

Managers: Elder Council and Acolytes. Pensive and patient and filled with protocol, like the Department of Motor Vehicles. For a fee, flaccid acolytes scribe, or robust acolytes run, messages here. This place receives the same. Records, like claims and debts, are stored here in council memories and on bark & rabbit hide logographs.

Area: A mostly barren large room with a circle of blankets where the elders sit and smoke, and multiple youths on blankets along the room's outer edge. The place is suffused with the smell of tobacco smoke. A considerable amount of wealth, in wampum, liquor, good medicine, and silver ingots, is also stored in the sealed back rooms.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 20, 2014, 05:58:35 PM
Secondary Locations - Livonia's Lament


Tunnels & Shafts
Bordello

Owner: Madame de Zay. Warm, yet calculating and mysterious. Halfling? Sickly, shaven dwarf?

Area: Lush, plush, and kitsch. Area is built like a maze.

----------------

Fistful of Ingots
Saloon

Owners: Alton & Denise. Human male & female twins, look light night and day, but both hard-nosed in business. Curt and savvy.

Area: Messier, denser, darker, and shadier. But seats and spittoons are clean, with well-priced booze, and some top shelf stuff. Owners don't want to slip into being the local den of thieves.

Bartender/bouncer: Grunner. Cheerful male mountain dwarf, likes to sing (badly) and indiscriminate lover of jokes (does he get them?). Gets morose after he has to crack heads.

-------------------

The Honey Well
Dirtiest Saloon

Owner: Toya. Mirthless human female who doesn't put up with shit. Mercifully, usually stays in the back working.

Area: The den of thieves. Press of humanity, lots of alcoves; try to stay alive.

Bartender/bouncer: "Hunk". Enormous human male who has a weird accent and is extremely private. Some people believe his name is actually Hank.

----------------------

Sage Brush Felt Maiden's House
Common Lodge for Pregnant Woman

NPCs Kimima, Kimima's Mom, Snakebite victim.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 20, 2014, 06:00:36 PM
Calendar
1st Group Campaign
Month July, Month of the Big-Eared Bat.
Today Is Wednesday, July 2nd
Weather Is Hot, dry, partly cloudy.


Updating Bulletin Board -- Livonia's Lament

NEW! Exterminator - Badgers messing with my claim! Critters won't leave me be! See Ol' Salty Clem at the Honey Well.

Tailor - Bead your Deeds on your Shirt? Want latest Fringe? See M. Trouvier

Bounty - Robbed Mayor seeks Capture of Thieves! Lost Precious Valuables!

Bounty - Missing Claim Holder! Family seeking Justice! See Thistlegrass clan.

Sale - Dowry. Combs, blankets, tools, more. Broken Heart, Won't Need. (Blushing Phlox)

Reward - Closed mine shaft! Dangerous mystery! Need Gutsy Braves.

Reward - Oldest Graveyard has Weird Omens! Seek Holy Man and/or Braves. (Old Graveyard, Livonia's Monument)

Cook - Good ol' Greenvalley Lightfoot Home Cooking. Sticks to your Ribs!
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 20, 2014, 06:04:46 PM
Starting Locales -- Livonia's Lament

Main Street

A curl of wind whips up some midday dust, flipping some dress hems and buckskin fringe among the pedestrians in this lively street. Grit, or near water, mud, begins to cake exposed things, like hitching posts, troughs, horses, and drunks sleeping it off on the raised boardwalk in front of buildings. This is the high desert, heat, dust, scrub brush, and the promise of a cold night, seep in even here as people try to beat it back.

There is a well with its own crowd of activity halfway down the street. That's where  the building quality really starts to slide, getting worse and noisier further down, with a drunken fight or two spilling forth in the far distance. However the well crowd of seeming domestics ignores that with dignity, and chats on about something that caught their eye on the bulletin board next to the well.

The Honey Well

First sensation is the acrid smell of piss, body odor, and vomit from just too much hard living in and around this saloon. Second sensation is darkness as one's eyes need to adjust, this place could use some windows. Third sensation is being watched, from alcoves and screens ever present, with eyes that protest the very idea of windows bringing in more light and air.

An enormous human male staffs the bar. When he speaks, it is kinda funny as you cannot place the accent. A press of human(oid)ity crowds the bar and travels back to screened tables and alcoves where the sound of whispers and gaming comes. There is a door at the opposite length of the room, right behind the bar. No one seems to loiter around that bar edge.

Vaux's Tools & Dried Goods

Barrels, one after the other, with piles of dried beans, spices, and the like. Towards a large counter the barrel items become more valuable, and overhead dried meats begin to hang. A halfling with burnished skin sits behind, working on a ledger, looks up to smile a greeting, and then returns to his sums and you to your shopping privacy. The shelf behind him and the counter holds what seem to be the most valuable and smallest of trade goods.

Deeper in the store comes an army of shelves, carrying tools and supplies from as far as Onerous and Last Unction, and among them all a ladder for access. Most of the shelves nearest the entrance serves mining and building pursuits. But further back you see more travel goods like lanterns, bedrolls, and tents. Further back are more domestic goods, like cloth, baskets, pots, and soap.

Geraldine's

A jaunty piano tinkling joined by the indeterminate chatter of the rarely thinning crowd merges into a welcoming warmth. Over it all periodically peals a hearty feminine laugh, coming from a tiny ball of 'presence' that floats around the room, visiting tables in turn. A motley crew mobs a bar where a stoic staff serves rapidly with hooded eyes, nods, and wry smiles.

This room has a high roof with a balcony along its edge, some boarder room doors showing along that edge. The edges of this room's first floor shows large double door portals leading to more private, large rooms also bustling with life, or by the bar, a kitchen busy with orders. Bulletin boards, both inside and outside next to the entrance, are periodically visited by people coming and going from this busy place.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 20, 2014, 06:07:45 PM
Outdoor Locations Near Livonia's Lament

The Old Graveyard
Town's Namesake Graveyard. North, Three miles out of town.

An old graveyard covered in wild flowers with a large conspicuous graveyard monument in its center. No longer receiving interments, old grave markers weathering noticeably.

New Graveyard, downtown side
North, One mile out of town.

Receiving new interments, one of the busiest of the new graveyards around the boomtown. Rocky soil, cleared of most large brush, has new wooden grave markers.

"Unknown Claim"
Claim just past two crests from Old Graveyard

Supposedly Grim Man's. Scene of Hanalee & Caden's brave battle versus sadistic thugs — and sarcastic, but skilled, trained mercenaries.

Forgotten Claim
East & down-mountain from Downtown New Graveyard.

Place where Elders warned not to go investigate. Hard to spot entrance upon a narrow terrace, down a sharp slope.

Leaning-Juniper-Shelters-Sage
(subtle) Natural Landmark Half Mile South-East of Livonia's Lament

Unusual tree formation that makes a discreet place to meet outside of town. Also in the general "path" of one of the town's stagecoach travel lanes.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 20, 2014, 06:08:39 PM
Distant Locations

Onerous

Last Unction

Tree Sap Hill

Dusky Hollow Camp
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on August 20, 2014, 06:31:57 PM
Alric Feathersdown
Light foot halfling hunter
Lvl 2 Fighter, prof +2. Saves: Con, Str. Al: NG
HD: 2d10. HP: 18. AC: 16

Xp 325

STR 7 (-2) (+0), DEX 18 (4), CON 12 (1) (+3), INT 11 (0), WIS 14 (2), CHA 14 (2)

Race: Dex +2. Spd 25'. Lucky Reroll ones on Attack, Ability checks and Saves. Brave - Advantage versus Frightened effects. 1/2Ling nimbleness. Move through Mdm creature spaces.
sub-race: Cha +1. Naturally stealth, May hide behind mdm Creature

Lang: Common (Ute), halfling

Class
Fighting style : Archery +2 to hit Ranged weapons
Second Wind 1 / r : Bonus action regain 1d10 + 1 Hpts.
Action Surge 1 / r : Gain an action, Does not count as bonus action.

Skills: Animal Handling* (+4 ), Athletics* (+0), Perception* (+4 ), Survival* (+4),

Tools: Woodworking kit*

Background: Folk Hero Feature: Rustic Hospitality
Defining moment: saved people during a forest fire.

Pers: Helpful Ideal: Freedom Bond: I am one with the woods Flaw: Overly trusting


Armor: Leather AC 16
Weapon:
Short Bow +8 1d6 + 4 Piercing 80/320
Hand axe +1 1d6 - 2 Thrown +8 1d6 +4 20/60
Dagger +6 1d4 + 4 Thrown +8 1d6 + 4 20/60
Short Sword +6 1d6 + 4



Adventure/woods wear

Leather Armor, 2 Hand axes, Short bow, 20 Arrows, Short Sword, Dagger, Quiver,
2 nice leather flask (one whiskey 1 pint,  other water 2 pint size), 20 feet silk rope, 20 feet waxed twine,
Tinder box, Pouch with all but 5 gp which is hidden on Alric, Set of common clothes worn.

Total weight carried 27.3


On Mal the mastiff - Back pack, Bedroll, 2 sets common clothes, Fishing tackle, 2 flask oil,
Mess kit, 3 days rations, 2 water skins with water, whetstone, 30 feet silk rope,
30 feet waxed twine,  Iron Pot, Shovel,
Pack saddle saddle bag, 3 days feed.

Total weight carried 137.7

Cash gold is 30gp 7 sp 10 cp


Trinket - Nightmarish Idol that disturbs my sleep. Lets say I found it in the aftermath of the Forest fire and it may be a cause or some other secret revealed in the flames.


Style/Bio - While a hunter, Alric is not one that believes that it requires a lonely existence. He is friendly and enjoys what civilization has to offer. He would enjoy a nights rest in a soft bed, as much as, the solitude and comfort of a tall standing oak and babbling brook. Recently he forewarned a town of an onrushing forest fire and managed to save a few people from buildings as they caught fire. He does not consider himself a hero but for some reason others do.

Shopping needs waterproof canvas tarp 8X8 feet
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on August 20, 2014, 06:45:56 PM
Alric jerks awake in Delilah's arms with images of a body wreathed in flames but not screaming. He rolls over careful not to wake her and slowly gets dressed. He eye's the twisted and partially melted idol of something that was once humanoid perhaps. He isn't sure why he keeps it but suspects their is a bit of magic about it compelling him or at least that is the delusion he labors under.

His mind flits across his companions hoping everyone had a decent enough night.  Off to daring adventures now. He considers leaving Delilah a coin or two but fears she'll take it the wrong way and cheapen the experience. He pick her up something nice later, if he lives.

Dressed and ready he brushes his lips on her forehead and heads out and up the street to check on Mal making sure to give him a good scratching before he head's into Geraldine's to meet everyone.

OOC - Sorry should have held off till everyone posted character sheets. Dang I can't follow the simplest of instructions :)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 21, 2014, 02:25:27 AM
Player: Mr. Kent
Hanalee Hondo
Human Fighter, Blacksmith Folk Heroine

Lvl 1, prof +2. Saves: STR, CON. Alg: CG
HD: d10. HP: 12. AC: 16

XP: 255 (Lvl 2 at 300)

STR 15 (+2), DEX 13 (+1), CON 14 (+2), INT 10 (0), WIS 9 (-1), CHA 10 (0)

Race: +1 all stats
Lang: Common, Dwarvish

Class: Fighting Style - TWF, +mod on 2nd attack. Second Wind 1/rest - Bonus action, 1d10+Lv. HP.

Skills: Athletics +4, Intimidation +2, Animal Handling (bkgd) +1, Survival (bkgd) +1.

Tool Proficiencies: Smiths', Vehicles - land

Background: Folk Hero. Defining Event: Celestial Revelation. Feature: Rustic Hospitality.
Pers: Helpful. Ideal: Destiny! Bond: Childhood sweetheart. Flaw: Weakness for vice.
Gear: smith's tools, shovel, iron pot, common clothes (magenta tunic, black trousers, black cape), pouch +10 gp.

Wealth: (Base=N/A+10 gp) Left 5 gp, +2sp from Sheriff

Quickstart Equipment
Armor:  Chainmail - 75 gp. AC 16 (req. STR 13)
Weapon:
1x Warhammer - 15 gp. +4 atk. 1d8+2. versatile (1d10).
1x Shortsword - 10 gp. +4 atk. 1d6+2. finesse, light.
(TWF Warhammer Shortsword. +4 atk. 1d8+2/1d6+2.
1x Light crossbow - 25 gp. +3 atk. 1d8+1. ammo (rng 80/320), loading, two-handed
20x bolts - 1 gp.

Gear: Explorer's pack - 10 gp
Hooded lantern - 5gp

Style/Bio: Once apprenticed to the top armorer in Livonia's Lament, Hanalee was set to make a good living as the town's prospects increased. One day a great celestial being visited her forge, and granted her a revelation (of sorts): being a smith was not her Destiny. Though the entity was vague on the details, it intimated that to discover her Destiny, she would need to strike out on her own.

Hanalee secluded herself for thirty days and forged a new set of armor and weapons for herself. Against the recommendations of friends she left her secure blacksmith job and went out to discover her Destiny as an adventurer-for-hire.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/OhSiris/HanaleeHondo5E.png)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on August 21, 2014, 12:27:04 PM
Player: Dragoner
Karnath the Unclean
Rashemi Cleric, Acolyte
Lvl 1, PB +2. Saves: WIS, CHA. Alignment: LG
HD: d8. HP: 11. AC: 18. XP: 145.

STR 15 (+2), DEX 14 (+2), CON 16 (+3), INT 14 (+2), WIS 18 (+4), CHA 14 (+2)

Race: All stats +1. Human, Female, 5’3, 145lbs.

Lang: Common, Sylvan, Orc, and Abyssal

Class: Spellcasting. Divine Domain - Life.

Skills: Insight (bkrd) +6, Religion (bkrd) +4, Medicine +6, and Persuasion +4.

Tools: N/A

Domain - Life: Bonus Prof - Heavy Armor. Disciple of Life - Lv. 1+ spell heals give extra 2+Spell Lv. HP. Domain Spells - 1st. Bless (30', conc) & Cure Wounds (touch)

Spells DC: 14. Spell Atk: +6.
Slots: at-will/2. Prep: 5+domain (Bless (30', conc) & Cure Wounds (touch))
Cantrips - Light (touch), Sacred Flame (60'), Thaumaturgy (30').
1st - Command, Detect Magic, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, and Shield of Faith.

Background: Acolyte Feature: Shelter of the Faithful
Personality Trait: I see omens in every event and action. The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen
Ideal: Faith. I trust that my deity will guide my actions. I have faith that if I work hard, things will go well. (Lawful)
Bond: I will someday get revenge on the corrupt temple hierarchy who branded me a heretic.
Flaw: Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.
Gear: A holy symbol (a gift to you when you entered the priesthood), a prayer wheel, 5 sticks of incense, vestments, a set of common clothes, and a belt pouch containing 15gp.

Wealth: 15 gp. Spent 12 gp. Left 3 gp.

Armor: Scale Mail - 50 gp. AC 14+DEX, Stealth disadv. Shield - 10 gp. AC +2
Weapons:
1x Mace - 5 gp. +4 atk. 1d6+2.
1x Lt. Xbow - 25 gp. +4 atk. 1d8+2. ammo (rng 80/320), loading, two-handed
20x Bolts - 1 gp.
1x Dagger - 2 gp. +4 atk. 1d4+2.

Gear: Explorer’s Pack (backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, 10x torches, 10x rations, water skin, rope hemp 50') - 10 gp. Holy Symbol (Class Equipment), Healer's Kit - 5 gp. Mirror, Steel - 5 gp.

Trinket: An old chess piece made from glass.

Bio: Working at the local temple, in preparing the dead, she caught the corrupt patriarchy looting the corpses; however, it was turned around on her and she was accused and declared “unclean” for activities with the dead. Through heroic action, she seeks divine intervention to stop the hierarchy from building the eschaton through her temple.

(http://dragonersdomain.com/forum/download/file.php?id=186)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Endless Flight on August 21, 2014, 09:58:36 PM
Player: Endless Flight. PC: Aynsley
Human Rogue, Criminal Highway Robber
Lvl 1, PB +2. Saves: DEX, INT. Alignment: LN
HD: d8. HP: 9. AC: 14

STR 12 (+1), DEX 16 (+3), CON 12 (+1), INT 16 (+3), WIS 7 (-2), CHA 16 (+3)

Race: All stats +1. Human.

Lang: Common, Elvish

Class: Expertise, Sneak Attack - +1d6 dmg when hits target w/ Adv or 5' from ally, Thieves' Cant.

Skills: Acrobatics +5, Athletics +3, Deception (bkrd) +5, Investigation (exp) +7, Sleight of Hand +5, Stealth (bkrd) +5.

Tools: Thieves' Tools +4 (exp). Dice Set.

Background: Criminal. Feature: Criminal Contacts.
Personality: risk taker. Ideal: loyal to friends. Bond: "itchy fingers." Flaw: compulsion to steal valuables.
Gear: crowbar, dark common clothes w/ hood, pouch +15 gp.

Wealth: 15 gp. Spent 0 gp. Left 15 gp.

Armor: Leather - 10 GP, AC 11+DEX.
Weapons:
2x Dagger - 2 gp. +5 atk. 1d4+3. finesse, light, thrown (rng 20/60)
1x Rapier - 25 gp. +5 atk. 1d8+3. finesse.
1x Short Sword - 10 gp. +5 atk. 1d6+3. finesse, light.

Gear: Burglar's Pack (backpack, 1x bag 1k ball bearings, 10' string, bell, 5x candles, crowbar, hammer, 10x pitons, hooded lantern, 2x oil flask, 5x rations/day, tinderbox, waterskin, rope hemp 50') - 16 gp. Thieves' Tools.

Trinket: An invitation to a party where a murder happened.

Style/Bio: Aynsley is very good at one thing in particular: stealing things. He picked the pockets of the elders of his village as a young child, including family members. As a young teenager he faced a particularly brutal punishment once for a suspected burglary that he actually did commit, but was cleared of the charge because a friend provided an alibi for him. From that point on, he always found value in friends and vowed never to steal from them, although lying wasn't out of the question. As he grew into adulthood, he gained the advantages of ruggedly good looks and a silver tongue, both of which come in handy in his less than scrupulous dealings. Honed his body so that he became an above average athlete and acrobat. He will take huge risks if he sees a big pay day in his future. Rumored to have robbed several caravans and coaches over the last six months, but has never been tagged by the law. Fashions himself as a ladies' man, but isn't one to get into any serious relationship.

(http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu79/smilewbrian/Aynsley_zpsfac0ed8e.png) (http://s635.photobucket.com/user/smilewbrian/media/Aynsley_zpsfac0ed8e.png.html)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on August 21, 2014, 11:50:22 PM
Player: Arkansan
Caden Ironoak
Human Fighter, Criminal Enforcer
Lvl 1, prof +2. Saves:STR, CON. Alg:CN
HD: d10. HP:13. AC: 15

STR 11 (0), DEX 17 (3), CON 16 (3), INT 12 (1), WIS 15 (2), CHA 9 (-1)

Race: Ability scores +1. Speed 30'.

Languages: Common, Dwarf

Class: Fighting Style - Duelist, +2 dmg if wield one-weapon only.
Second Wind 1/rest - Bonus action, regain 1d10+Lv. HP.

Skills: Intimidation +1, Perception +4, Deception (bkrd) +1, Stealth (bkrd) +5.

Tools: Game set - Playing Cards, Thieves'.

Background: Criminal. Specialty: Enforcer. Feature: Criminal Contacts.
Trait: Always have a plan Ideal: People Bond:Family Flaw:Someone went to prison for me and I'm cool with that.
Gear: Crowbar, Dark Common Clothes w/ Hood, Pouch +15 gp.

Wealth: 5d4x10 gp. Roll 9. 90+15 gp. Spent 85 gp. Left 20 gp.

Armor: Studded Leather - 45 gp. AC 12+DEX.
Weapon:
1x Rapier - 25 gp. +5 atk. 1d8+3. finesse.
(TWF Rapier & Dagger. +5 atk. 1d8+3/1d4.)
(Duelist Rapier. +5. 1d8+5.)

4x Dagger - 2 gp. +5 atk. 1d4+3. finesse, light, thrown (rng 20/60).
(Duelist Dagger. +5 atk. 1d4+5.)

Gear: Backpack - 2 gp, Bedroll - 1 gp, 6x Rations - 0.5 gp, Playing Cards - 0.5 gp, Water Skin - 0.2 gp. 3x Oil - 0.1 gp

Style/bio: Age: 30. Height: 6'ft. Weight:185lbs. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Light Brown

Caden is a fixer. He fixes problems, for a price of course. Someone won't pay up? No problem he can handle that. Think your bookkeeper has sticky fingers? Caden has the solution for that too. A competitor moving in on your turf? Caden can convince him to move on to other real estate. Got on the wrong side of the law and need someone to stand good for you in a judicial duel? Caden would be happy to prove your innocence in the sight of Gods and Men, so long as you prove your purse is full first.

Caden isn't a terribly charismatic person, he is gruff of manner and criss crossed with scars. He makes few friends, but none of those who call him friend have ever questioned his loyalty. Home and family are somewhere but he his always careful in with his words when discussing such things. Anytime Caden hits a payday his coin is often shipped promptly out of town, all always to be delivered directly to his family though none can say just who and where they are.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on August 22, 2014, 01:38:51 PM
Player: Marleycat
Bright Feather
Wood Elf Wizard, Acolyte
Lvl 1, prof +2. Saves: INT, WIS. Alg: CG
HD: d6. HP: 8. AC: 12. Experience points: 145

STR 7 (-2), DEX 15 (2), CON 14 (2), INT 18 (4), WIS 12 (1), CHA 10 (0)

Race: Darkvision 60'. Keen Sense - Perception. Fey Nature. Trance.
sub race: WIS +1. Elf Weapon Train - l./s. sword, l./s. bow. Fleet of Foot 35'. Mask of the Wild

Lang: Common, Draconian, Elven, Sylvan.

Skills: Arcana +6, History +6, Insight (bkrd) +3, Perception (race) +3, Religion (bkrd) +6.

Class: Spellcasting. My First Spellbook. Arcane Recovery 1/day - After a rest, recover combined slots worth = 1/2 Lv (min 1).

Tools: N/A

Spells DC: 14. Spell Atk: +6
Slots: at-will/2. Prep: 5
Cantrips: Mage Hand (30'), Prestidigitation (10'), Ray of Frost (60').
Known: 1st - Charm Person (30'), Identify (touch, rite), Mage Armor (touch), Magic Missile (120'), Silent Image (60', conc), Sleep (90').

Background: Acolyte. Specialty: +2 Lang. Feature: Faithful's Shelter.
Pers: I can find common ground between the fiercest enemies, empathizing with them and always working toward peace.
Ideal: Aspiration. I seek to prove myself worthy of my god’s favor by matching my actions against his or her teachings. (Any)
Bond: I will someday get revenge on the corrupt temple
hierarchy who branded me a heretic.
Flaw: I put too much trust in those who wield power within
my temple’s hierarchy.
Gear: Holy Symbol, Sacred Wheel, 5x Incense, Vestments, Common Clothes, pouch +15 gp.

Wealth: 4d4x10 gp. Roll 8. 80+15 gp. Spent: 76 gp. Left: 19 gp.

Armor: N/A
Weapon:
1x S. Sword - 10 gp. +3 atk. 1d6+2. finesse, light.
1x S. Bow - 25 gp. +3 atk, 1d6+2, ammo (rng 80/320), two-hand
20x Arrow - 1 gp.

Gear: Explorer's Pack - 10 gp, Component Pouch - 25 gp, Herbalist Kit - 5 gp.

Style/Bio: Hgt 5'7". Wgt 126 lbs. Hair Red with eagle feather/beads woven in Eyes Green dressed in buckskin with an otterskin w/feather component pouch at her belt. More or less just traveling the world after the nastiness at her local temple. Curious but studious and on the quiet side likes to hear both sides of the story before rushing to judgement. Takes people at their word but doesn't suffer fools well.

Trinket: Half a floor plan for a temple, castle, or similar structure.
(http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/e4/d9/a1/e4d9a1c045c44c98055d17732c21007d.jpg)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 22, 2014, 06:45:25 PM
Main Street Well, town midpoint

@ 10 AM

OOC: I assume everyone has returned and had breakfast. Caden & Hanalee further resolved their scene, details about awards and consequences present in the [Interest] topic. Anyone interested in minor morning bookkeeping that you do not want to roleplay, i.e. generic shopping, let me know OOC and let us continue.

Everyone

The five of you gather at the appointed meeting spot more or less at the same time. Some of you have had quite the night adventures, but you likely all make polite small talk while waiting, and may choose to share or omit as you please. A mix of wandering newcomers saunter up to scan the board, and the morning biddies are already a-gaggle, tongues a-waggle.

"Oh did you hear? It was an absolute tragedy last night. Floored to hear the utter waste of it all."

"Oh my goodness, someone important died?"

"No, worse! Pluvecia's prized 'first berry pie of the season' was knocked to the ground by sprinting ruffians. Down right here in Main Street even!"

"And that was right before the social, too. Simply disgraceful."

/gasp "Those monsters! All I heard is that during the Fancy Dance the beat was skipped and Gentle Knee took a spill, splitting her beaded dress smock."

"Not the one with the porcupine quills and jasper beading?" "Yes." "No!" "Yes!" "Oh dear..."

"Apparently says here there were two miner murders last night, two dwarves —"

"... and the beat was lost to all that rowdy partying down the street! Such low class bars."

"— Oh there's always miners being murdered about. Johnny eventually catches up with them."

"Well I hope people took the time to help recover some of those beads before the floorboards took them. I mean how many tragedies can a town endure!"

OOC: I leave the quest plotting and any new introductions up to all of you.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 22, 2014, 09:53:01 PM
Hanalee claps Caden on the back for a good night's work. "Remind me to visit the Bandit Queen in jail, would you?" she beams, making up an epic epithet for the nameless psycho they'd captured.

"And what say you all? Harrowing tales of danger--let's have them!" she cheers. She pauses and slowly turns towards Alric.

"Mr. Feathersdown," Hanalee coos to the halfling hunter. "Something's different about you," she says, and gestures vaguely, unable to elaborate. "Did you have a good night as well?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on August 22, 2014, 10:54:06 PM
Caden gives a grim nod to Hanalee "Yeah we should check up on those two later, something odd about that whole ordeal."

Caden then turns to Alric as well "You do seem a bit different this morning."

He then addresses the group "Did we still think we wanted to go poking about that graveyard?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on August 22, 2014, 11:10:50 PM
Karni, bright eyed and bushy tailed after a night's sleep and breakfast, greets everyone with a simple "Hullo." And gentle smile. "Should we not investigate the graveyard?" She says turning to Caden, wondering if he has found new information.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on August 22, 2014, 11:43:06 PM
Alric fumbles for a moment his already tanned skin gaining an even darker shade of red as he stutters for a moment. "Was an interesting evening to say the least." He looks around still with a burning blush on his cheeks. " And the least is all I am gonna say."

He moves around Mal randomly giving him a scratch and adjusting his pack while the flush of heat passes him. " I say we head off to this Ole Graveyard and do what we said we would."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 23, 2014, 12:36:00 AM
Hanalee catches Alric's blush and says no more.

"Good morning, Karnath," Hanalee greets. "I'd say we should check out the Old Graveyard while its bright and early. Mr. Ironoak and I happened out that way last night at sunset, but didn't notice anything too strange. Granted, we were rather focused on other things. At least we got a lay of the land."

"The graveyard's in the middle of a big wildflower field, and right smack in the middle of the yard is a stone monument--maybe to Livonia herself? Not sure, but I didn't get too close..."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 23, 2014, 04:42:23 PM
"Well the summer already got to a hot start. Even heard the riffraff made "Sister Joyous" cry already."

"Oh, that is not a good sign. Better re-start our community watches."

"Indeed, keeping a silent eye on who moves where kept at least a few of the good neighborhoods quiet last year."

"Apparently the Elders woke up finally. But not about the violence, goodness knows. Some sort of prophecy."

"Oh, them and their omens. You'd think they'd know a place is going to hell by a priest driven to drink and an undertaker driven to exhaustion."

"That reminds me, services this Sunday everyone. He's been suggesting the Ol' Graveyard for its annual blessing..." /shared looks and 'tsks'

"Honestly, who has ever heard of an undertaker needing a vacation due to nerves? And to Dusky Willow Camp of all places!"

"You'd think at least the big city, like Onerous. But 'need the fresh air and still earth' he said. Poor journeyman, I don't know how she does it."

"Well elbow deep in corpses does nothing for her marriage prospects, I'll say that."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 24, 2014, 05:59:01 PM
OOC: And then everyone settled into a morning coffee klatch by the well and lived happily ever after. the end! :p
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on August 24, 2014, 07:01:49 PM
What has happened to our wizard?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 24, 2014, 08:07:49 PM
OOC: NFL season, likely. The rest of you can still plan. Remember, no glued to the hip party structure here.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 24, 2014, 09:06:22 PM
Hanalee nudges Karnath when she overhears the gossip about the Ol' Graveyard. "An blessing this Sunday," she tells the cleric. "Sounds like something we should be in on."

She addresses the group. "I say we should head over there now while its early."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on August 24, 2014, 09:50:14 PM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;782410
Hanalee nudges Karnath when she overhears the gossip about the Ol' Graveyard. "An blessing," she tells the cleric. "Sounds like something we should be in on..."

She addresses the group. "I say we should head over there now while its early."


"Yes, that should be interesting." Answering Hanalee, she also agrees we should head to the graveyard.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on August 25, 2014, 10:09:26 AM
Alric finishes giving Mal a final skritch. "Yes! lets be off" He turnsMal in the direction of the Ole' Graveyard and heads out.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 25, 2014, 10:36:26 AM
OOC: The calendar has been up. Today is Wednesday 2nd. Sunday will be on the 6th.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on August 25, 2014, 10:52:54 AM
Caden will follow the rest of the group to the graveyard.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on August 25, 2014, 01:33:17 PM
Bright Feather meets up with the group as they go to the graveyard.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 25, 2014, 02:30:57 PM
OOC: Well, I guess Aynsley stood around too demurely to be introduced. :) And we shall continue on to the graveyard.

Main Street Well

Everyone

A group consensus has been reached to visit the Ol' Graveyard while the morning is young. They share tidbits of their evening, but a renewed dedication to a shared goal urges them on. Impatient to start investigating you cut the sharing short and head on out.

Aynsley overhears this consensus, along with Bandit Queen captured, and desire to visit during the blessing this Sunday. Perhaps they are scouting out in preparation for the best staging spots to pick pockets? They seem worthwhile at least to pal around for some action and opportunity.
---------------------

Everyone but Aynsley

As the original 5 of you head on out, all of you feel very confident that this Old Graveyard mystery will be done lickety-split. Capable adventurers, proved your mettle yesterday, ready to right the wrongs of the world and profit from it. Alric pauses — where's your pal, Mal the Mastiff?

Looking about you have trouble finding him, must be the late morning crowds. Oh, at a pace along with Caden & Karnath, Alric spies his mastiff laying on his side enjoying the sun by the well. Apparently he has taken advantage of someone's patience and lounged upon their shoes. A lithe and moderately robust someone is a human male with dark hair and a playful smirk on his face.
---------------

Aynsley

Lucky you! You have a massive dog lounging on your shoes. Don't know if it is friendly, let alone likes being surprised with a scratch behind the ears while napping. Might be a challenge to extract your shoes without notice, as animals tend to be more sensitive than humans. Who, and where, is its owner?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on August 25, 2014, 04:04:07 PM
"Mal you get off that poor fellow right now" Alric wanders over to him while Mal ignores him, Finally Alric prods the pile of fur with his boot. "Git up you lazy pile of misbegotten slober"

Mal slowly rises with all the gear securely tied on. "Apologies Sir!" Alric offers his hand "Alric, born again adventurer and woodsman"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 27, 2014, 03:19:36 AM
OOC: And Aynsley's Marcel Marceau impression is impeccable!

Ok, my apologies group. You 5 may continue on to the Old Graveyard as Mal gets up off the stranger's foot. The stranger maintains his silence and smirk, obviously lost in his own reverie.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on August 27, 2014, 10:05:32 AM
"Well we tried boy, We tried" Alric comments with a rueful grin as he heads toward the Ole' Graveyard.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 27, 2014, 05:28:31 PM
Main Street, Downtown

@10 AM

Alric, Bright Feather, Caden, Hanalee, & Karnath

Sauntering confidently abreast, all of you feel really good about yourselves. Passing the scene of yesterday's 'afternoon show' you note the dive saloons are trickling with customers even at this hour, but the dampened spirits about them speak to a depressing clientele. But that's not any of you! All of you are masters of your own destiny, off to bring positive change, to right the wrongs of your life and others!

/strutting

"Hanalee?! Is that you, baby? Come give your uncle a hug." A large, late-to-middle aged man in an Easterner three-piece suit approaches, a stunning contrast to the immediate surrounds. In a great bear hug he lifts you up and twirls around with you like the little girl he probably still sees you as.

"I'm up from Onerous, doing a little business for my employer. Came here to visit a friend for a nip, but think I may be in the wrong side of town —" whispering, "— or forgot how to dress right." Nudges you like he told a funny, especially since you knew he used to be in the metal smithy and foundry trade.

"Where are you going in a place like this? I can see my sister blushing now. You must be still working with my buddy, [your previous smithy master], so how the hell is the galoot?" Finally looks at you and your group and realizes he might be in the middle of something, "Are you in the middle of something? You're not in trouble are you. Was it that [your sweetheart]?, Didn't go off leaving you to marry someone else — I'll go rip their head off!"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on August 27, 2014, 07:41:38 PM
Karni will lurk about the periphery of the group, not wanting to appear like she is listening in to Hanalee's interlocutor (even though she is).
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on August 27, 2014, 09:19:59 PM
Caden will stand about and fidget with his sword belt, he doesn't wish to interrupt.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 28, 2014, 12:09:47 AM
Main Street, Downtown

@10 AM

Alric

Glancing about as Hanalee is catching up with a relative, your eyes rest with reminiscence upon Dive Bar C. A distant sucking in of teeth, and the sense of being stared at, draws your attention just by the bar's boardwalk entrance. You see a blond Easterner halfling, possibly a stout due to his robust frame, boring a hole into your head with his eyes. A straw is sticking out of his mouth and he's cleaning his nails with his dagger, his look never off you.

His eyes says he fucking hates you, and it is getting hard to return his gaze. Hold it another moment and it feels like something will go down.
---------------

Black Feather

Relaxing from the conversation, you browse your surroundings, people watching. Wait a minute... in the middle distance across the street, those handle wrappings upon that bow grip and dagger look familiar. Heh, they belonged to that kind human fur trapper who was training his son out in the wilderness. Oh, he was one of those rare Eastern foreign humans who 'got it'. Trading and swapping stories with him was fun.

But this doesn't look exactly like him. Hair became a shade darker, fuller beard, broader shoulders. Though you could swear it was him. Oh, it was just like yesterday, perhaps what 15 or 20 years ago? He's going across the street to another dive bar.
--------------

Caden

We could really be accomplishing something by now. Yet given last night's action, perhaps it's fine to enjoy this pace, if just for a moment. The promise of money to send back is so close you can almost taste it. And as a hero of all things? Who'd have thought to see you like this?

/pedestrian bumps hard against your side

"Fucking snitch coward," muttered under breath.

Turn to follow, that back, voice, and mop of hair, where have you seen it? And what the fuck was his problem? That dwarf goes off to an alley left, up-mountain. Oh, that job. Yeah, but better that fool friend of his in jail than you...
-----------------

Karnath

Listening respectfully you loosen your gaze into the far distance down the street towards the Downtown's edge. It is nice to see family is important to your other team members. Makes you miss your own. I wonder how much they appreciate their attachments.

A hand wave catches your eye, ah, it is a woman and a cradle-boarded child upon her back. She is smiling, and reminds you of that nice mother of Kimima. But her features are blurred by distance and morning sun, so it could be another mother from the Maiden's House. She seems far enough that she's just being friendly and not hailing you for anything urgent, you think.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 28, 2014, 12:57:28 AM
"Shucks, Uncle Dondo!" Hanalee chuckles as the man swings her. "What sort of work brings you to the Lament? And no, I don't work with Cranagh any more. Me an' him are still on good terms, but...well, it's complicated, see. I kinda felt like it wasn't for me any longer." She decides to leave out the part about the astral spectre challenging her to seek out Destiny. Uncle isn't a metaphysical sort of man.

The warrior's expression stiffens at the mention Tamar, the only person she'd loved since the age of five. "No, Uncle," she whispers. "Tamar hasn't married anyone else. You remember, I told you...our deal."

She sighs deeply.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on August 28, 2014, 01:19:37 AM
Karni, looking down the street, shades her eyes from the sun with her hand to get a better look, and if it looks kosher, she will wave back.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 28, 2014, 03:56:43 AM
Main Street, Downtown

Hanalee

"Mmhph, so you two still playing at fairy tales then," his temper visibly settling back down. Apparently your family runs on the stereotypical side of red headed anger. But he was always one to quickly let go and sheepishly ask forgiveness, too. Sort of wish that ran more in your family instead.

"I tell you kiddo, I thought my strength wouldn't give out on me either, but I'm glad I settled down and had kids when I did." Pats his stomach satisfyingly, looking up in thought, "It only gets harder to wake up sore and sleepy in the morning as you get older."

"Which explains why I'm here dressed up like a dancing monkey. I'm now a Lead Ass-aye-er," playful comedic lingering upon 'ass' and 'aye', happily reminds you of home how his humor never changed. "Go up here, certify the ingot grades before transfer out to the big cities. And I do a little on the side for bank research, when they make loans for others to buy out a claims.

"Dreadful stuff. Indoors in clean air rooms all day surrounded by paper, soft living, rough clothes, stamping approval on the harvest of broken dreams. But the kids are fed, and someone else would just take my place." Looks in the direction where Cranagh's old smithy used to be. "Miss honest work and honest sweat. Reminds me to go see an old friend."

"So where are you off to my little fire-spitter? No job, off to find yourself, and passing up a sure-fire marriage. What's next, you're gonna tell me you're chasing death itself, running around graveyards looking for haunts! A-ha ha ha!" He has such a happy belly-full laugh...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 28, 2014, 04:10:19 AM
Main Street, Downtown

Karnath

Shading your eyes with tactful brevity, so as to not break up Hanalee's reunion, you notice it's not Kimima's mom. But it is a face you recognize from the Maiden's House. She looks pleased, and seems to have a small, flower gathering basket.

If you remember correctly that was the mom of one of the babies crying frequently in the night -- you think it might be colic, or possibly a light ear ache. She's probably gathering something just out of town to treat that. But who honestly knows?, as you've only been here recently.

OOC: You'd estimate roughly a minute, 300', to walk over to her. But your insight into people suggests it might look rude to your companions to do so right now.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 28, 2014, 04:23:20 AM
Main Street Well

Aynsley

Well that was just awkward, just spaced hard there a minute. But all those riches mentioned on the bulletin board! Mayor offering bounty for thieves, precious valuables! Captured Bandit Queen, who knows what stash she left behind! And another bounty about a missing claim holder!

Even a buttload of beads and wealth must be under the floorboards of each tavern here! Hell, a whole dowry from a broken heart AND a journeyman undertaker with poor marriage prospects! And who minds an undertaker rifling through -- and quietly disappearing -- the belongings of the dead? This town is easy pickings!

Oh, where were you? Those aren't the same ladies gossiping as before. And wasn't there a big dog around here awhile ago?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 28, 2014, 11:25:27 AM
Quote from: Opaopajr;783339
"So where are you off to my little fire-spitter? No job, off to find yourself, and passing up a sure-fire marriage. What's next, you're gonna tell me you're chasing death itself, running around graveyards looking for haunts! A-ha ha ha!" He has such a happy belly-full laugh...

Hanalee coughs nervously. "Heh heh--you know me, Uncle!" She shrugs. "But I'm glad to hear you have work out here, I'll likely get to see more of you. Let me know if your company needs some 'outside contractors'...I'm running with a crew now, a real capable bunch, who take on odd jobs. The odder the better. Heh."

"Also, if you look in on Cranagh...tell him I said hello, would ya?" she requests with a hint of nostalgia and guilt.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on August 28, 2014, 11:34:06 AM
Quote from: Opaopajr;783340
Main Street, Downtown

Karnath

OOC: You'd estimate roughly a minute, 300', to walk over to her. But your insight into people suggests it might look rude to your companions to do so right now.


After waving to her, Karni will remain where she is, and not approach. Getting side tracked on the way out of town isn't her plan.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on August 28, 2014, 11:51:40 AM
Bright Feather looks to see the name of the bar the fur trader entered to remember it thinking to herself after this job she should have a great yarn to spin for him maybe as good as his own stories.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on August 28, 2014, 12:37:03 PM
His eyes says he fucking hates you, and it is getting hard to return his gaze. Hold it another moment and it feels like something will go down.


Alric returns his gaze never being one to back down from unjust anger. if he can hear Alric. "Got a problem round belly?" Hoping the racial remark will trigger something.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 28, 2014, 04:10:12 PM
Main Street, Downtown

Bright Feather

Seems like Dive Bar B, near to Fistful of Ingots and some of the better dives.
----------------

Karnath

You see her smile at your recognition, and she heads on out of town.
---------------

Hanalee

"Won't be here long — barring any news from below — so take advantage of me while I'm here!"

His face sours at your 'odd jobs' comment, and then he takes a moment to look hard at each of your crew's faces. "I'll keep you and that offer in mind, and trust you'll be safe," he says with pursed lips. "Yeah... I guess it best to go see Cranagh now and let you be on your way."

He got one of those meddling looks you've seen run in your mom's side of the family. "So, uh, great seeing you my little fire-spitter! And I guess use the old grapevine to keep in touch, yeah?"

[A beat where you may mention any location or contact you want for him to leave any 'odd jobs'.]

"You take care — and find yourself already!" :D
/walks away towards Cranagh's old smithy.
----------------

Alric

A passing grimace shows that he is amused by your bravery, then shakes his head, his stare-down never leaving your eyes. Oh, he's a Lightfoot! He's on the larger side of your kind, possibly there are bigger types of your kind elsewhere in this strange East. Already Delta Earl gave you quite the surprise.

"Keep to your own blood," you read of his lips more than you can hear over the street's activity. In that weird time distortion of blood racing before fight or flight, you suddenly notice how casual and unnoticed this whole exchange is among the others around you both. Wow, your people really can be overlooked — how many of our life-threatening exchanges like this must go by unseen?

He chews his straw a slow, singular time as if he can taste his teeth grinding you down. He continues to stare you down, but he's not making any overt move to engage you. Hmm, we can be vicious little beast, can't we?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on August 28, 2014, 05:01:51 PM
Alric takes this all in and under his breath much like the man before him " Chickenshit!"


Alric will continue to stare him down and if he doesn't bite at the challenge soon Alric will shakes his head with a look of disdain,a s if he had stepped in a cow patty and stomp off, having better things to do.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on August 28, 2014, 08:19:03 PM
Caden just gives a grunt at the displeasure he has incurred. Today doesn't seem like a good day to go settling old scores.

Caden notices the looks between Alric and the other halfling and saunters over to Alric, thumbs hooked under his sword belt. He locks eyes with the other halfling and spits. Without ever shifting his gaze "someone troubling you friend?" he asks of Alric.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on August 28, 2014, 09:35:44 PM
Alric holds the halfling's gaze. "Nope, Not yet."

"Starting to think this town is an idiot mine and they've struck it rich"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 28, 2014, 09:50:46 PM
Hanalee asks Uncle Dondo to leave any messages with the staff at Geraldine's, as she's sure to check in there from time to time.

She hurries back to her group as they make their way to the edge of town, and she's just in time to sense some hostility brewing, and her fellow fighters Caden and Alric seeming a bit disturbed. The ladies in the group seem much lighter in mood.

"That was my uncle," she explains to the others. "I'll introduce y'all sometime, but he was sort of in a rush..."

"Wait--what did I miss?" she asks. "I step away for a second and everyone's all quiet."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 28, 2014, 11:26:26 PM
Main Street, Downtown

Alric

His eyes travel briefly up Caden's height, and then he returns his dread gaze upon you with a contemptuous snort and smirk. He looks like he already won, seeing that your 'bigger friends' seem to be backing you up. You know he won't do anything now, but a sense of fury gnaws at you for being dismissed by having taller friends for backup.

He chews with utter hate again, this time with a smile but eyes never changing — then spits. Nope, nothing will be resolved right now. But visiting Delilah in the future will be something alright.
--------------

Caden

This is actually fascinating. You've never really paid attention to how much venom those affable, inoffensive halflings could muster between themselves. Wonder how much more you've been missing out on while focusing on other threats at a higher eye level.
--------------

Hanalee

Well Karnath and Bright Feather seem happy, while the guys are ready to shank someone in the dark. Obviously must be some sort of inscrutable male thing (testosterone poisoning). And with the visible size difference between Caden & Alric, staring off with great seriousness in the same direction, it is almost comical how much similarity there is between the races.

Sorta hesitant to burst their moment of bonding over some weird cross-racial, masculine ritual.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on August 29, 2014, 12:04:49 AM
Karni is not so happy that the party is threatened, but not threatened enough for action. She might frown at the Halfling, but she doesn't say anything to distract Alric.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on August 29, 2014, 10:12:53 AM
Alric issues a nod as if to say  this isn't over. "Sorry about the delay, Seems no matter how powerful the Gods magic is they have no "Cure Stupidity" magic or for that matter "Cure assholes who hate on the base of skin color like their blood is any whiter" "

Alric Hrumphs in disgust and continues on the trail, more important things to do than kick some inbred townsfolks ass.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 29, 2014, 09:38:05 PM
New Graveyard, just outside Downtown

@ Quarter Past 10 AM

Alric, Bright Feather, Caden, Hanalee, & Karnath

A weird split in moods left a pensive air among you while leaving downtown. Thankfully it seems to have passed by the time you are outside of town and coming upon the New Graveyard here. The morning brings a business along this trail from the mines further above, significantly more than Caden & Hanalee remembered from last night.

A few people are milling off trail, even among the graves, which I guess should be expected during the day and so close to town. Some seem to be paying respects at graves. Others, often women and their papoosed babies, just harvesting herbs and roots wherever they grow. A rather peaceful scene and your group's spirits are getting back to its morning enthusiasm.

Most of you hear a baby cry in the distance, a bit faint and down mountain. (Passive Perception 13) It sounds pretty urgent. But as you look about there is now not as many other people where you are, let alone of those who seem aware of the crying. Hanalee & Caden know that it is another two miles or so to the Old Graveyard; you could all make it soon in about 40 minutes, so be there by 11 AM.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on August 29, 2014, 10:23:22 PM
"Did any one else hear that" Alric tilts his head on the direction of the sound "Sounds like a caterwauling but I don't know baby noises so well?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on August 29, 2014, 10:36:10 PM
Karni:  1D20 =>   17

"Yes, what was that? We should go investigate."


Karni is LG after all.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on August 29, 2014, 10:58:01 PM
Quote from: Artifacts of Amber;783783
"Did any one else hear that" Alric tilts his head on the direction of the sound "Sounds like a caterwauling but I don't know baby noises so well?"


Yes! Let's go already I tire of dead spots (Bright Leaf glances backwards).
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on August 29, 2014, 11:10:54 PM
Caden nods his agreement "Sounds like an infant to me, I maybe a callous bastard but even I can't ignore that."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 30, 2014, 02:28:13 AM
Next to New Graveyard, down mountain

Walking past this new graveyard along its side honing in on the insistent cry, Hanalee & Caden notice that this place just does not feel as tranquil like the Old Graveyard. Actually, to Hanalee and Bright Feather, you feel a passing vertigo. Alric looks visibly wan — a wave of nausea goes through you. Karnath looks like she's about to snap someone's head off; a throbbing & scraping whine runs through your head, leaving you to grind your teeth to temper the tension. Karnath, you are the last to recover, it taking a half minute to pass. The sensation is now gone even while all of you still have some graveyard to pass.

Continuing on to where the grade starts to steepen the cry becomes more clear, and obviously shrill. It unsettles your stomach, Bright Feather, something is wrong; it absolutely chills you, Karnath, that baby is in danger! Karnath, you cannot wait any longer, and actively go forth to those baby's cries, searching.
----------------

Karnath

Oh my god, a cradle fallen upon the ground near a large rock! A native Shoshone woman collapsed, unconscious?, right next to it all, flower basket upturned, young felt sage leaves spilling forth. You naturally rush to check upon her and the baby — a face you just saw minutes ago! Two puncture wounds upon her wrist...

*rattling*

/you freeze, a chill up your spine.

*rattling*

Close... too close, but where?
------------

Everyone Else Present

You respond a moment apace from Karnath's sudden dash. But you come to a weird scene that seizes you about 15' away: upturned baby in a cradle, crying madly; a limp female form before a large rock; Karnath absolutely stock-still; young sage leaves tumbling past the scene, some swirling in little whirls.

In that moment of hesitation, softly you hear death... *rattle*
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on August 30, 2014, 10:21:07 AM
Quote from: Opaopajr;783831


Karnath

Oh my god, a cradle fallen upon the ground near a large rock! A native Shoshone woman collapsed, unconscious?, right next to it all, flower basket upturned, young felt sage leaves spilling forth. You naturally rush to check upon her and the baby — a face you just saw minutes ago! Two puncture wounds upon her wrist...

*rattling*

/you freeze, a chill up your spine.

*rattling*

Close... too close, but where?
------------



Karni:  1D20+2 =>   4  if initiative - terrible roll, bleh. She is looking to see if she can find the snake, yet at a safe distance to not get bit. If she sees it, she will cast Command for it to leave. Spell attack +6 - Karni:  1D20+6 =>   18 on a DC14.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 30, 2014, 01:11:55 PM
OOC: Roll Perception again, as if Advantage. You're extremely close, and the creature is giving off a deliberate tell. It's just not in immediate sight.

Further, you would know that Command requires the creature to understand your language used. Retroactively save your spell and choose something else. Good luck! :)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on August 30, 2014, 02:14:07 PM
Perception roll: Karni:  1D20 =>   11

Not sure what to do, sans command, maybe thaumaturgy to hit the ground around it to scare it off.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 30, 2014, 03:10:06 PM
OOC: Not knowing what to do is honest. Perhaps a round of contemplation?

The sound is coming closest by the large rock to your immediate right, lower down. It is also midway between you and the baby cradle, you would guess either of you within striking distance. That's an adult you can tell, yet the colorations are unfamiliar to you. It is coiled, possibly afraid?, but who knows for how long. The baby's cries aren't helping.

Your conscious mind recovered and remembered hearing the follow up steps of your friends. They came to an abrupt stop, likely a mere 10' away directly behind you. Perhaps you better use this moment to get a message to them before they too get in danger... but with how loud a voice can you use?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on August 30, 2014, 04:56:48 PM
Karni holds up her hand, "Snake!" To warn everyone else.

OoC: How big is it? IRL, armored plus shield and mace, I'd just hit it; I've shoo'd them away with brooms when I lived in West Texas, don't know about in game though. If it is important, or the baby looks threatened, Karni will act.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on August 30, 2014, 05:26:27 PM
Caden will attempt to distract the snake by moving to the other side of it, hopefully drawing it away from the direction of the baby.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 30, 2014, 05:50:07 PM
OOC: Easily over 3' long. Trouble is unpredictability and it'll get essentially first strike. Yes, Karnath would likely act as anyone within striking distance is in danger, but how -- as it is still life -- is the question. Not an alignment test, but it is something to consider.

The snake rears back from Karnath's sudden hand movement (even though I naturally assume it is your left hand, currently furthest away), yet doesn't strike. Caden's flanking it's last escape route, creating a hemisphere between where it is and the rocks, and you are guessing this is really making it afraid. You are beginning to see the value of a cradleboard binding a child quite still, even as the baby screams bloody murder.

The scene from down mountain on up is: Karnath next to the out woman, then the cradleboard, finally Caden closing the last escape by the large rock. The snake seems to make for the path of least resistance: the baby between you and Caden. But each time it rests its jaw on the ground and the baby wails, it stops and recoils.

How fast do each of you feel? Or will you plan something else.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 30, 2014, 05:53:36 PM
OOC: Passive Medicine for Karnath, rapid shallow breathing from the unconscious woman now. She will need treatment very soon. Her arm is ballooning. She *should* live, if you can get her treatment.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on August 30, 2014, 06:56:13 PM
If the snake is going for the baby, she'll cast sacred flame on it and move in for an attack.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on August 30, 2014, 09:21:24 PM
Caden will hold off for fear of further agitating the snake. He will remain as still as he possibly can.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on August 30, 2014, 10:23:02 PM
If Bright Feather sees the snake she shouts "over HERE" to get it's attention and uses Ray of Frost on it. Roll to hit 17 + 6= 23. While waving and shouting to the snake..."c'mon bastard!".. using her 35 ft movement in a circular diagonal to draw the snake's attention (given it's not going to be able to move because of RoF's secondary effect).
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on August 31, 2014, 12:25:46 AM
Hanalee draws her longbow and aims at the serpent, taking fire when she has a clear shot.

(Rolled 18 before modifiers in the dice room--on my phone so post editing skills are lacking at the moment)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 31, 2014, 12:39:49 AM
OOC: Poor snake. It will likely not survive the round, but it does go fast. Would you all like to roll your initiative before acting frantically, or shall I?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on August 31, 2014, 12:46:05 AM
Caden will sit this round out for fear of getting in the way, he doesn't really have a ranged weapon and isn't comfortable throwing his dagger this close to an infant.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on August 31, 2014, 01:08:29 AM
Initiative: Karni:  1D20 =>   6  (+2 for dex?)
Spell Attack: Karni:  1D20+6 =>   13
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 31, 2014, 02:14:08 AM
OOC: This was a random encounter that expanded upon another random encounter, so it was not intended to be overly involved. For brevity, I hope Bright Feather & Hanalee don't mind if I just roll their initiative and damage to keep things moving.

I'll go alphabetically. Rolled 13 & 14 in room. Snake initiative, target, & attack also in room.
Bright Feather = 15 (13+2). Hanalee = 15 (14+1). Karnath = 8 (6+2). Caden sits out. Alric ??

Hanalee, you notice your Longbow remains a Small Crossbow, much to your dissatisfaction. It will have to suffice. ;)


Several people begin attacks, talking, moving, and waving their hands, and the snake obviously freaks. Striking like a flash it lunges towards Karnath before anyone else can get an attack off. Thank god for your armor! It strikes a protected part of your thigh, fangs not piercing through your scale protection. And better you with your armor, as it is a miracle it did not strike the baby!

Hanalee & Bright Feather, knowing the snake is there from Karnath's warning, act instinctively for the baby. Both of you strafe to get a shot off, given that the snake is not immediately apparent behind its total cover from baby cradle. You hear the rattle pause, a high-pitched, sharp hiss of a strike, and Karnath sucking in breath. Taking the best shot immediately present as you two move (3/4 cover, +5 AC) you react... and pray.

Simultaneously your strikes land, a bolt and a beam of ice white light. The snake is pierced and then frosted rapidly in succession, it has obviously taken a lethal amount of damage. (Ray of Frost 6 dmg, Xbow bolt 5+1 dmg) Its form does not even respond as a divine flame of alights, must be from Karnath, and burns the frost away. (Sacred Flame 3 dmg)

Listening briefly for any more rattling, you all assume it must be safe to continue rescuing this mother and child. What are you doing?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on August 31, 2014, 12:06:32 PM
Karni is LG, so she would help the mother and child; not that a non-LG char would do different.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on August 31, 2014, 03:01:00 PM
Bright Feather will look around to make sure no other snakes etc. are lurking about.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 31, 2014, 05:48:38 PM
Karnath, roll me Medicine. You're triaging and stabilizing as much as you can before you move her and the baby.

Bright Feather, choose whether to check Perception or Investigation. One tests your senses, to determine any more immediate threats. The other tries to make sense of the scene and extrapolate where further danger could lurk.

Everyone else, let me know what else you are doing, where you are looking, etc.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on August 31, 2014, 05:59:30 PM
Karni takes the kit of palliatives from her bed roll, and using a knife, gently slits the woman's wound open and draws the poison out with her lips. Spitting, she then cleans the wound with alcohol and wraps it with a bandage, then wets a rag and wipes the woman's face; before turning her attention to the crying infant.

Karni:  1D20+6 =>   18
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on August 31, 2014, 08:48:15 PM
Alric arriving late, probably due to his short legs. "I'll look around for anymore." He draws his bow and nocks and arrow just in case, then slowly circles around the area.


OOC - or late because of a busy weekend :) feel free to roll for me with +4 Perception. I'll let the medics handle the family.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 31, 2014, 10:16:07 PM
Karnath

Removing any restricting clothes and jewelry from her stricken arm, you look to your shield as a method to transport her to the Elders' Place or find "Sister Joyous." Rattlesnakes are not unknown to your people, so even though you don't know the exact species you are assuming the medical protocol is the same.

She will need observation and specially administered medicine — possibly even a second bite. Currently her affected limb must not be raised above her heart, and any excessive bleeding and tissue destruction monitored and kept clean. She's unconscious yet stable, however here is where the real danger resides...

(She obviously succumbed to Poison damage, and is still in condition: Poison. You guess she should be taking the equivalent of "death saves" every 30 minutes. You don't know for how long; new snake species, no idea venom amount, her health, etc.)

The snake head would be useful, for identification and medicine, though there is always a chance even a recently dead snake's head can bite again. Looking at the wound and the size of the snake... the fang wounds seem a bit off. Looking at her last few steps, there's more of her steps coming up from further down mountain.

This might not be the right snake! O_o
---------------

Bright Feather

Your danger sense tingles with the baby still so close to the snake, even with it supposedly dead. Traditional elvish precaution kicks in and you scoot the cradle out of striking distance. After that you think you can start your investigation in relative peace:

(Rolling Investigation for Bright Feather in the room. Roll 13 +4 INT = 17.)

That's odd that this woman would be struck here by a snake and lose consciousness so fast. You would expect an onset time for her to get closer to the trail, especially her with a baby. But perhaps shock?

Looking about for additional threats you notice her flower basket was collecting young velvety sage leaves. That you saw aplenty during your brief visit to the Sage Brush Felt Maiden's House. But there are no sage bushes around this large rock.

Looking at the woman's steps it all makes sense: she got bitten further below, and has been coming up mountain towards the trail. She and her baby just got extremely unlucky where she passed out. That snake is unlikely the culprit, but what value would be seeing where she went, particularly when time is urgent?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on August 31, 2014, 11:40:29 PM
Down-mountain from the North-side of Downtown's New Graveyard

Hanalee, Alric, & Caden

Scouring the immediate area for any further threats, especially ones that would hamper bringing the two victims back. Hanalee partners with one of the other two, acknowledging she might learn a thing or two from the others. So far your efforts have found nothing in the immediate area.

However you have together found the victim's footsteps coming up from further down mountain. Hmm...

Also you see further down, at a minor leveling just at the edge of vision before the slope cuts it off, what looks to be the shadow of a hole? a claim? But that is back towards the town, which means just lower than the new graveyard, so it couldn't logically be a claim, ha ha! Must be a coyote den or something.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 01, 2014, 12:09:34 AM
OoC: I was going to pick investigation cool.:)

Bright Feather nods...."I think the snake was just an unfortunate occurance I think the actual cause of her sickness is something below while she picked those leaves in her basket. It seems she picked them down that trail"...points it out.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 01, 2014, 12:15:41 AM
Alric yelling back to the others "Seems safe now. I can see her trail leading further down the mountain." He pauses not knowing how else he can help. "Should we look further or start making a litter?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 01, 2014, 12:28:18 AM
Quote from: Artifacts of Amber;784129
Alric yelling back to the others "Seems safe now. I can see her trail leading further down the mountain." He pauses not knowing how else he can help. "Should we look further or start making a litter?"


Bright Feather nods..."yep I agree down that trail lies her attacker but we have business to attend to so litter is best besides Karni is her best chance at recovery wherever we go, graveyard, wilderness or town most likely anyway".
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 01, 2014, 05:24:50 AM
OOC: At this point I would assume people would be helping prepare to carry the victim upon Karnath's shield. There is rope among you. However I leave the rest of the details among you.

You are about a mile+ away from town, given your distance up trail and then down mountain past the New Graveyard. This is atop the 1/2 mile of town to reach Elders' Place. Crossing the graveyard doubtfully will buy more time, what with all the obstacles in the way (besides being unnerving).

Fast Travel rate is 400'/minute -- logically assuming a consistent jog - so about 20 minutes to cross 1.5 miles. Logically CON exhaustion, along with carrying STR and Speed factors, will dictate otherwise. Karnath guesses you have about 25~30 minutes cushion before the next critical moment occurs (Death Save). So:

Do you leave them here and explore the hole/claim?

Hurry up to your original goal of the Old Graveyard?

If you do save them:
Who carries the baby?

Where do you go to get help?

Do you all travel as a group, or someone run ahead? Do you have people alternating to carry the victim, so as to not be slowed by exhaustion -- or just push on through with the members in best condition?

Karnath says to monitor the arm to stay below heart level.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 01, 2014, 10:01:59 AM
Alric using his woodworking knowledge*. whips out his hand ax and quickly cuts two body length poles then two smaller ones to lash across. He grabs his oiled canvas and twine and creates a serviceable litter that can easily make the trip. He even wraps part of the canvas around the bottom legs so they don't catch on roots forming more of a sled if it has too be dragged.

While doin so he says. "Disadvantage of being small folk. I don't think I can haul the lady that far. So when this is done I'll check out the trail and see if I can see what bit her and bring it along. Ifin it helps"

*proficiency woodworking kit. Not making anything that great so feel free to roll proficiency if you need to :)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on September 01, 2014, 11:30:58 AM
"Well I can help with the litter, or I can take the baby and try to run ahead to see if I can have someone ready to help as soon as you get there. Just carrying the child I reckon I can get there a little bit ahead. "  Caden says as he scratches his chin in thought.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 01, 2014, 01:24:15 PM
ooc: So the woman is going to death save until she dies?

Karni will organize the party carrying her back to the town, and if Bright Feather hasn't gone around the mountain side, will ask if she can run ahead for help.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 01, 2014, 06:40:54 PM
OOC: She's going to "Death Save" until she lives! :) Or dies. She's unconscious, so 1d4 hours before she gains 1 HP and consciousness. But the poison condition lingers for hours. Which means if and when she fails again, she'll go back unconscious — but stable! — and then go through the "Best 3 out of 5 Death Saves" again. She can ping-pong in and out of consciousness this way and be in serious danger if she doesn't receive medical help.

It will eventually run its course. But there are so many factors — snake species, snake age, if and how much venom is injected, her CON, etc. A good estimate is 4 to 8 hours of real danger. Enjoy!

Be sure to walk carefully and respect the rattlesnakes in the wilderness! :D
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 01, 2014, 09:49:25 PM
I'm here Bright Feather says....I will run ahead to find some help Karni, no problem.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 01, 2014, 10:02:57 PM
Quote from: Marleycat;784320
I'm here Bright Feather says....I will run ahead to find some help Karni, no problem.


Cool. :)

Otherwise Karni will continue to do what she can do for the woman, save or die.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 01, 2014, 10:58:01 PM
So far I have:

Alric making a litter!

Bright Feather offering to run & get help ASAP. (You have a feeling that Elders' Place might be the best place to start, especially since they have additional runners and contacts to Maiden's House)

Caden offering to do the same while also bringing the baby to safety. Following Bright Feather as best as you can up Main Street sounds like a good plan.

Karnath, you have Hanalee available, and the facilities (and additional medicine workers) will be in better supply in town. Moving the victim on the litter sounds like a plan, as moving elderly medicine workers after informing them is looking to be twice as long.

Am I missing anyone or anything? :)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 02, 2014, 04:24:57 AM
New Graveyard's NE Corner, down mountain

Caden & Bright Feather both take off to inform the Elders and request their help. At the very least they can send runners to the Maiden's House and find support for the baby. Yet they also will know where to find good healers about this, too.

Bright Feather runs unencumbered while Caden carries the baby & cradle-board. This is a 1.5 mile journey, it isn't a sprint. Bright Feather will start to accumulate distance compared to Caden over time. At a Fast rate Bright Feather will reach the Elders in 17 minutes, Caden in 20 minutes.

Alric races to fashion a litter to carry the envenomed woman, something a bit more practical than a makeshift use of Karnath's shield. Dexterously he finds the most serviceable of the gnarled junipers or lone pines around (not easy!), prepares them and lashes cloth and rope to create the litter. This is something you're familiar with, quick, wooden, survival supplies. You got this.
(Rolled DEX (Woodworking) with Advantage. Rolled 13 in room. 13 roll +4 dex mod +2 tool PB = 19 total.)

Karnath, thank goodness you have a capable team in such an emergency -- and to think you only met yesterday, it must be a sign from the Great Goddess. Alric's creation of the litter, while everyone was deciding who takes whom and where (and you were attending to this woman), helps save precious time. By the time he's done, it only delays you 2 minutes after Bright Feather & Caden left.

Time for Karnath & Hanalee to carry her back. Logically choosing to have Hanalee take the front and Karnath take the back, so as to monitor your patient, you two rush ahead. Alric has time to put his gear away and rush back as he can (delay another 1 minute).

Karnath & Hanalee, keeping her on the litter shouldn't be a problem, except for the crowding of the town. Keeping to a jog, all three of you, you should be OK. The litter will need 1 DEX check with Adv, due to the town's traffic, but that is all (either of you may roll it). And finally, at a Fast rate, Hanalee & Karnath will arrive 22 minutes to the Elders' Place, Alric will take a little longer at 27 minutes.

(Any one of you are welcome to push yourself into a sprint, if you like (though I would recommend cooperation for Karnath & Hanalee). It will be double your Spd, then x10 as per minute travel; i.e. 35' goes to 70', then 700' a minute. I'll just need 3 Easy STR checks for each 1/2 mile, and 1 Moderate CON check at 1 mile to see if you're completely winded)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 02, 2014, 04:42:54 AM
Passing the New Graveyard

Bright Feather, running past the graveyard again you have a spell of vertigo for a round. Your people have spoken of 'the bad earth', or 'the weird earth', in some places. You don't have time to explore which one this is...

Caden, running you have a moment where Bright Feather swerves a bit and slows a round where you close a little distance. That's odd. Then she returns to herself and nimbly bounds ever so much away.
---------------

Hanalee, carrying the litter past here you have a moment where you feel yourself dizzy, heading into the graveyard proper. Catching sight of an Easterner cross grave-marker wakes you to again. Did one of those stones move? Whatever, there's an emergency.

Karnath, you hear that incessant grinding, like stone against stone, or that Eastern hard metal against stone. It's driving you to distraction that you could almost swear Hanalee is careening into the graveyard proper! Wait, she was... and now stopped and righted herself.
/distant faint laughter to your left, deeper in the graveyard.
Look briefly to your left as you run, and see nothing... There is something sick indeed in one of these graveyards.
-----------------

Alric, packing up leaves you with a feeling of being watched from the SW, towards the new graveyard. Running past it you catch a whiff of sour sick (vomit) that turns your stomach. You think perhaps the baby or the woman vomited somewhere nearby, but can't spot it. You try not to think otherwise, as you don't like the implications.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 02, 2014, 10:05:36 AM
Alric finishes packing and then follows his plan of investigating the path the poisoned woman and child used. He remembers seeing a hole or den before. Forcefully ignoring the itchy, watched feeling which actually has more to do, he thinks, with his task but for the moment helping the woman is more important and he knows barely enough that what poisoned her may be helpful information.

So he turns back down her trail following it and being extra cautious, looking for signs of what bit or stung her.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 02, 2014, 11:59:03 AM
Karni remains focused, that is her thing. Karni is thankful for this ad hoc team, we are all caught in the Great Goddess' web, she thinks to herself.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 02, 2014, 04:22:55 PM
OOC: And the party splits again! Mu-ha-ha ha ha!
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 02, 2014, 04:47:52 PM
Hanalee minds her step as she carries the litter.

(Long weekend was long! Sorry :)
Rolled Dex with Advantage in the room, and got two 12s!)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 02, 2014, 04:56:19 PM
OOC: Two 12s is good enough! :) I assume you and Karnath arrive without further event in 22 minutes.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 02, 2014, 06:33:41 PM
Karni keeps on keeping on with carrying the litter, careful not to un-necessarily jar the unconscious woman.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 03, 2014, 02:04:06 AM
Bright Feather keeps at a brisk jog... will she arrive at the Elder's with enough time to get them to send runners?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 03, 2014, 03:15:31 AM
just over half past 10 AM?

Bright Feather arrives and reports the emergency. The Elders seem dispassionate and refill their pipes. The acolytes furiously give direction and runners are sent forth. From what you can tell one to the Maiden's House, another to healers, and two out towards the downtown entrance to Main Street.

You are offered the peace pipe as it makes the round of the Elders.
------------

Caden, you carry the baby in its cradle-board as you jog — notably it does not continue its frantic cry, it even starts to coo and close its eyes like it is being rocked asleep. The entrance to downtown is before you, mere +100' away; similarly two braves seem to be running intently towards you from +200' away, within the downtown.

They are gesturing at you and yelling, though it is a bit hard to hear clearly what.
-------------

Karnath & Hanalee, you see the town more clearly now, thank goodness, turning the shanties from house-shaped blips into distant but recognizable roofs & doors.

Another two minutes, you think Karnath, dear Goddess give us strength!
She's tough for a healer, you think Hanalee, jogging with armor and a litter.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 03, 2014, 04:26:28 AM
the next 20 or so minutes while others travel to town...

Alric going cautiously further down the mountain slope trying to backtrack the victim's steps (around 2 minutes) you reach a natural terrace at the same level with the mystery hole/den, though it it a good 200' away. Looking about the tracks you come to several sage bushes, but that first one found in particular seems like her last one before bitten. Her steps look like they start being irregular from there.

You begin to probe the bush with a long stick (fishing tackle rod or arrow, you're choice). Something small flies out, likely a bird but you can't tell it happens so fast. Quickly looking about it seems to fly off southward, you return your attention to the bush.

There's snake tracks about and within this bush, yet you cannot find the snake. You look again because the nearest snake track suggest it moving into this bush from a nearby gopher hole. Perhaps it moved back out into that same gopher hole? You'd have to make a more thorough check (either Perception to sense anything else weird around, or Survival to make better sense of these tracks).

(I am assuming Mal is with you. If so, Mal sniffs that sage brush and starts to growl lowly and back away.)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 03, 2014, 10:16:18 AM
Yes Mal is with me

+4 to each of these, Hey Skills I have :)

Perception 17 + 4 = 21
Survival 7 + 4 = 11
handle animal 18 + 4= 22


I am trying to figure out if their is an active danger here, in the bush.
Rolled the handle animal, hoping Mal will help track or indicate danger, He doesn't do any fighting if he can avoid it :) Cowardly dog!

How large is the burrow/hole in diameter?




Alric moves cautiously around the bushes trying to find whatever is upsetting dear Mal. If nothing develops he will follow the trail down to the Burrow.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 03, 2014, 01:57:00 PM
Alric

Well, you'll be damned if that makes a lick of sense. You could swear that the snake tracks don't backtrack into that gopher hole. But you chalk it up to the recent excitement and difficulty of reading tracks inside a bush.

Keeping your senses sharp, you feel they remain with you as you don't sense anything in the immediate vicinity that is a threat. Naturally as the brush gather here and there in places you take greater precautions with your fishing rod/arrow, just in case. Seems painfully normal, birds chirping and lizards scurrying with the occasional insect buzzing on by.

And Mal just won't have any of it: that bush sets his spine hair on edge. Good thing you bond well with animals. You can't calm his growling, but as you head off to the cave/den he follows you as best he can, circling the bush slowly, constantly facing it and growling until a comfortable 15' distance.

He doesn't really return to normal, his hackles remain up as he follows you tentatively behind. The cave keeps looking more and more like a large animal burrow; possibly worthy of a bear, but how successfully could they be on this dry side of the mountains? Takes about a minute to get there, being cautious about the brush, loose dirt, and varying terrace size.

You hear the sound of Mal's footsteps stop 30' away, but you finish that distance so as to take your peek. Looking back you could swear Mal's shaking and looking at you with deep worry, he looks left and right and whines ever so softly. Peeking, it seems like a regular den, the smell of animal funk and boney remains wafting towards you.

Ah, it must be an animal. Wait, before the noontime sun puts a deeper part of the den back into shadow for the day, you catch what seems to be a wooden mine support and joist. Your glimpse before the shadow reclaims it suggest it is quite old, possibly forgotten.

Mal barks, likely from the stress. Everything seems quiet though. Maybe the bear?, coyote?, or wolves? are out hunting right now.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 03, 2014, 02:20:01 PM
Bright politely takes a drag off the peace pipe thanks them and politely takes her leave of them.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 03, 2014, 02:48:13 PM
Quote from: Opaopajr;784624

Karnath & Hanalee, you see the town more clearly now, thank goodness, turning the shanties from house-shaped blips into distant but recognizable roofs & doors.

Another two minutes, you think Karnath, dear Goddess give us strength!


By will be done, she muscles onward.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 03, 2014, 03:13:31 PM
Unlike what he has heard in many a night time fire side story he listens to his animal companion. Alric steps away and heads back toward the first bush that raised Mal's hackles.

He takes Mal a good ten feet away and has him sit, though it might take a try or two to get him settled.

He moves back to the bush and readies himself drawing out his short sword he'll take a few wacks at the bush hoping to loosen whatever is frightening Mal and to perhaps settle his own nerves. He would rather look a little foolish hacking down a defenseless bush then find out some vampire plant was living well on the country side.


OOC - please no initiative ... please no initiative :)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 03, 2014, 04:29:16 PM
@ 15 minutes between Alric & the rest of the group

Alric

/hack, hack, stab, hack!    *phew*
...
/snort.    Mal clears his nose, and you look back to see a few leaves eddy around him. The smell of sage is quite nice about you. Mal looks about at the leaves and insects, then returns his eyes to you with a satisfied pant — like he's smiling.

Dogs, they can be strange.

Oh! There's a small bone now on the ground. Must have been dislodged from a tangle of twigs from that thorough thrashing.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 03, 2014, 04:30:54 PM
OOC: Everyone else, feel free to comment about what you do, but pardon me if I try to get Alric up to the same temporal moment as you — he's alone and living on the edge. ;)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 03, 2014, 04:41:34 PM
OOC - Quick Alignment check, Nope can't beat my dog :)

Alric feeling somewhat foolish just looks at Mal with a near murderous glare. "Just for that it stays there till later. "

Alric will continue back toward the den. Scouting in a full circle around it looking for any other clues, He has stumbled upon bears before and prefers there not be any repeats. His legs can't handle the run after last night.


Rolled a 5 +4 for perception and a 10 +4 survival ,after some serious bad typing.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 03, 2014, 07:54:31 PM
OOC: Oh my, not inspiring rolls, are they? Well, let's see what they can still do.

Alric

Mal is squinting and panting in the sun like life couldn't be better. So obedient, not even going after that bone even. As you look back midway to check his obedience you see a happy Mal with moths resting upon his sweaty nose -- must be the salt and moisture -- and he's not even shaking them off, panting away.

Back at the Forgotten Claim? you scout around it as much as you can, a semicircle as being caught by a bear while climbing nearby will be inconvenient. Giving the entrance a reasonable berth you search the terrace edge, and find the expected bone shard here and there of what would be a predator's den. Nothing immediately assaults your senses as out of the ordinary, but honestly, how familiar have you been with this side of the mountains?

The tracks though, that you are better sure of. Looks like a lot of tracks for a forgotten claim. Heh, you even spot a mix of bare human footprints, along with boot and moccasin prints, amid the multiple dog like paw prints big and small. Not really making much sense out of them right now, especially time-wise; perhaps you're a bit off from the excitement earlier today.

Maybe a make-shift shelter for a stumble-drunk from the downtown saloons. Maybe a few bandits long in the past. Maybe undisturbed baked mud-prints from when it was a working claim. Whatever it was, it smells like it belongs to a medium- to large-sized animal predator now.

Oh! There's a larger bone, looks like from the leg of a doe deer. Maybe a conciliatory gesture to Mal... later, after he's shown himself more worthy. At the very least you'll have more time to investigate which animals are here.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 04, 2014, 01:26:51 AM
Bright Feather will wait at the road for Karni to tell her she has runners out to bring the healers and it may be safer to wait for them to come to us rather then all the way to them.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 04, 2014, 01:30:25 AM
Quote from: Marleycat;784889
Bright Feather will wait at the road for Karni to tell her she has runners out to bring the healers and it may be safer to wait for them to come to us rather then all the way to them.

So you will run back towards the downtown entrance? OK. I will have a delay of 1 minute as you waited for the ceremonial passing & puffing of the pipe, so as to be respectful.

Oh, CON check. :) Running after their strong stuff, kinda challenging.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 04, 2014, 01:32:30 AM
Seeing and talking to Bright Feather, she will ask Hanalee to stop so they can set the litter down, telling Caden as well, then they can wait for the runners from the elders to arrive.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 04, 2014, 01:40:55 AM
8+3....11 she's no doubt coughing a bit to catch her breath.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 04, 2014, 01:57:42 AM
two minutes pass with the main group

Caden

The braves point you uptown and shout to go to the Elders' Place, then yell out asking you where & how far is the snakebite victim. You notice they are not slowing down to talk.

You continue on jogging, you never realized how far a mile and a half is until there's an emergency. You see the Main Street Well area in the far distance, just another +500', got a ways to go yet.
------------

Karnath & Hanalee

Just handful of hundred feet away from town proper two braves meet up with you. They quickly say they are from the Elders' Place and that your First Waters friend told them of the emergency. As they say this they reach for the litter and try to take both of your places.

Thankfully a chance for a second wind.
------------

Bright Feather

Ancestral Bear, where on earth do they get their supply? That stuff can stun a horse. And they smoke that multiple times a day? No wonder the acolytes do most of the talking.

Running on this stuff is harder than you thought. You try to cover the usual speed you can, attempting a handful of hundred feet in this next minute. Gravity is strong, you crave a good sit down and anywhere might do for now. Running, you begin to see things go past you in a slower rate. So this is what it feels like for High Elves and Humans...

(Nothing big, just Spd 30', and a useful tidbit about the potency of the Elders' tobacco.)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 04, 2014, 02:00:39 AM
Quote from: dragoner;784891
Seeing and talking to Bright Feather, she will ask Hanalee to stop so they can set the litter down, telling Caden as well, then they can wait for the runners from the elders to arrive.


:) Not possible, too much distance between you currently. She's and uptown girl, and you're not even a downtown girl yet. :p

Though check the follow-up post already made.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 04, 2014, 10:20:20 AM
Alric doesn't think anything he finds at this point is gonna be helpful. He'll move back down the trail so that he might see his friends returning in an hour or so he guesses. Until then he will watch the Den from the best Blind he can find of make and wait patiently as hunting has taught him. And he'll give Mal the bone, can't help who he is.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 04, 2014, 11:57:54 AM
Quote from: Opaopajr;784896
:) Not possible, too much distance between you currently. She's and uptown girl, and you're not even a downtown girl yet. :p

Though check the follow-up post already made.


Ok, so then however it works out, looks like others have come to take the injured woman.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 04, 2014, 03:45:20 PM
Quote from: Artifacts of Amber;784967
Alric doesn't think anything he finds at this point is gonna be helpful. He'll move back down the trail so that he might see his friends returning in an hour or so he guesses. Until then he will watch the Den from the best Blind he can find of make and wait patiently as hunting has taught him. And he'll give Mal the bone, can't help who he is.

OOC: Question: With the litter made and the victim moved, what sort of assurances do you believe you have that your friends are returning back to this distant, down-mountain corner of the new graveyard?

The graveyard is sizable, like most busy graveyards, and is on a partially flattened grade on the mountain slope. To be at its NE corner is to be lower and almost out of sight from the Main Trail, and that is closer than where the victim was found.

The Forgotten Claim/Den is down a sizable escarpment (it took you two minutes to safely get down to that next terrace-like ridge). There is no possible way to have visual distance from a blind observing this Claim/Den & the Main Trail.

Mal initially snorts & sneezes at the bigger bone, then goes at it. He suddenly backs up, spits it out, and tries to clean his muzzle on the dirt and wipe out his mouth with his tongue (like a dog with peanut butter). He won't touch it anymore. Weird.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 04, 2014, 03:55:40 PM
Hanalee exhales slowly and allows the men to take her place with the litter. "I hope she'll be all right--I think my friend here saved her life!" she tells the men, gesturing to Karnath.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 04, 2014, 03:59:10 PM
OOC - Quoted from character sheet  "Flaw: Overly trusting"

Alric is convinced they would not just abandon him here. That they would return to the scene where they left him. And It's not like a days travel just a few minutes to call out to him or come find him.

So no real reason other than faith in strangers.

Alric realizing he can't keep an eye out for his friends and the den, would rather keep an eye on the den knowing his friends will come find him before to long. He knows they would run to town but most likely just walk back taking a few hours perhaps.

Meanwhile he will look over the Bone to try identifying it.

OOC i Pitiful roll of 6 on d20, if survival is a 10 if knowledges a 6.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on September 04, 2014, 05:32:56 PM
Caden will really push the pace to try and make the rest of the distance. He points the men in the direction of the snakebite victim as he makes his way past them.

OOC: If a check is needed I rolled a 20 in room.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 05, 2014, 11:26:45 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;785037
Hanalee exhales slowly and allows the men to take her place with the litter. "I hope she'll be all right--I think my friend here saved her life!" she tells the men, gesturing to Karnath.


Karni will be humble in the light of Hanalee's compliment, "I do what I can, it is in the Great Goddess' hands." Then follows the other litter bearers, so she can get her shield back.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 05, 2014, 09:04:14 PM
in town

Next 3 Minutes

Caden

So close, you're gonna push yourself that last bit to the Elders' Place. Cradling the baby & board tighter you sprint the last 1/4 mile, covering twice your normal speed (600'/minute). People have noticed there's been an emergency with all the running braves about, so you find that a clearer path opens up to your sprinting here.

Oh!, there is Bright Feather. She's not running as fast as you saw before, maybe winded. Still so close to getting the baby to shelter & support...
(you cross each other about 1/3 away from Main Street Well, uptown.)

Before the end of three minutes you reach the Elders' Place and already there are arms reaching forth to take care of the baby. Other women, old & young reach up with both arms to brush your cheeks with gratitude. Immediately after the gesture they turn their attention to the baby and start checking and attending to it.

There seems to be a cleared space in the side front entrance to care for the victim. Sand of different colors in bowls is already gathered, designs are being made upon the floor by the more spry of the male elders. You smell herbs being crushed & brewed by a cluster of female elders.
-----------

Bright Feather

*phew* Heh heh, yeah a sit down would be good. But what about the mom, and her baby! Gotta push — oh, and there's the baby. Wow, Caden is booking it... yeah, go Caden. *phew*

Oh my goodness, feeling a bit parched, good thing the well is coming up. /whoosh. And there goes two braves carrying the stricken mother. You remember running like that, but right now it winds you just to see it.

Where's Karnath & Hanalee, though? And where's Alric? Oh yeah, he might take a while longer still.

---------------

Karnath & Hanalee

"Come, report what you saw. The Grandmothers must know." The hale braves take up the litter and dash back. They are getting up to three times speed, which is remarkable considering the delicate load. Youth.

You see them slow down and adjust by the time near the well, but they are small by then. They quickly start back up and begin their impressive speed again. They blaze by people, some who turn aside to watch the break neck pace.

Are you following them in these three minutes by the way?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 05, 2014, 09:27:49 PM
Forgotten Claim terrace

whipping you through the next 20 minutes to keep you contemporary with the group.

11 AM for everybody.

Nothing but a nice hot day and some tiny wildlife. Yeah, can't really make sense of the bone markings right now, a bit too bright & warm to focus (used Survival). Easiest thing is to note the gnaw marks; the creature/s is/are medium-sized, so less fox or coyote, more wolf.

A wolf would have cracked the end knobs off more by now, however, if it was a gnawing bone. Perhaps haven't got to it yet, a kill still available in the cave. Would explain the smell.

Mmm, nice and warm, could almost take a nap. But you remember stories from other hunters on this side of the mountain how fast sun sickness can slip upon you here. Perhaps a nice, shadier blind to watch... or nap.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 05, 2014, 10:19:52 PM
Alric finds a comfortable place to watch the "Lair" and remain somewhat concealed. But it shouldn't be too comfortable out of the sun and he pulls Mal's Canteen drinking some himself and pooling some in his hand slowly for Mal to slurp.

He will avoid sleep if possible, using whatever hunter tricks he knows to keep his mind active. He'll rest in the shade giving his friends several hours if need be. He knows not how serious the girl and baby were hurt, they may need his friends gifts for a while.

He has hunted and stalked enough to know patience in the woods.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on September 05, 2014, 10:38:35 PM
Caden will hand off the child, explain the situation, and then double back for Alric. If he comes across any of the group he will let them know his intent.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 05, 2014, 10:53:40 PM
Hanalee does her best to keep pace with the litter bearers. She fully intends to tell these "Grandmothers" everything she's seen about the snake attack once she arrives at the destination.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 06, 2014, 01:50:59 AM
Bright Feather will stop at The Well (she isn't stupid). She will take a cup of water and drink it while waiting for Karni given she has seen her message has been received and being acted on quite efficiently.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 06, 2014, 02:53:59 AM
Karni will follow Hanalee and the men carrying the woman on her shield, to help out, and just to get her shield back. If she sees Bright Feather by the well, she will wave and tell her where she is going.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 06, 2014, 04:42:15 AM
In Town

Next 5 minutes

Caden

Pacing yourself after that sprint, you return back to a jog (400'/minute). You see Hanalee & Karnath & Bright Feather (again) and let them know that you are off to see about Alric. Passing them all by you reach halfway through downtown.
--------------

Bright Feather

Mmm, cool water and a sit down by the well helps steady the world. Great starry night, smoked in that stuff day in day out would grant wisdom to anyone, so 'close to the ancestors' one would be. It's almost like an induced reverie.

"Oh my, I hope she survives."

"It is so easy to forget how dangerous outside can be."
---------------

Hanalee & Karnath

A bustle of activity throughout the Elders' Place, you arrive to see the victim laid atop a raised pile of blankets, her arm lower and partially cut & skinned open. Karnath, you can see they are releasing the swelling to prevent the arm dying. Hanalee, this is some graphic shit! seeing the musculature underneath the skin.
:(

The acolytes are playing drums and some background flutes, while a younger elder plays a piercing atonal melody on lead flute, sending chills up your spines. Another shakes a rattle, shuffling a wide circle around a third who is finishing up the sand symbols. The grandmothers are attending the victim: placing powders preventing any excess bleeding from the peeled skin, applying poultices and dribbling infusions upon her forehead and down her prone throat, and moving hands mere inches above her chanting in whispers.

The smoke, herbal infusions, songs, & chants all are reaching a crescendo (to what?), overwhelming one's senses. Karnath, you find this all professionally fascinating, this is stuff you relate to. Hanalee, you are fascinated too, but are also at the edge of your nerves.

And then it happens — the lead flute builds a pizzicato into a trill into an excruciating, but thankfully brief, high note two octaves above — the other flutes, drums, and rattle silence simultaneously. The baby wails, the victim convulses and then goes into seizure, the rattle continues, the grandmothers moan and cry, the grandfathers start the piercing, rhythmic, falsetto cry carried stronger by the younger acolytes —

— A feeble acolyte, the one who led you Karnath to the Maiden's House, turns to you both with compassionate eyes, leans in and explains, "The first of many  when walking the spirit lands with Brother Snake. This will take hours." —

The wailing seizes upon you, you feel like screaming or joining their cry, your heart is in your throat. The smoke, the smells, the sounds, the press of people, you are feeling untethered. The victim starts to spit up blood, her seizures open up more bleeding from her splayed open arm, she collapses back still and the grandmothers resume their furious tending. —

— "She seems to have answered Brother Snake poorly. The questioning will continue..." —

The crying and wailing stops, and the steady flutes & drums continue up with the rattle again...

(Both of you roll WIS check or CON check to resolve withstanding this sensory assault. This is moderate difficulty right now. Karnath will have Adv.)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 06, 2014, 06:24:07 AM
Hanalee presses her fingers to her temples and groans quietly.

(Rolled an 8 on my CON check...)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 06, 2014, 02:31:31 PM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;785355
Hanalee presses her fingers to her temples and groans quietly.

(Rolled an 8 on my CON check...)

Hanalee

Part of you wants to run out of here screaming, another part wants to help by weeping and pleading. Mercifully your stomach is making the decision for you by wanting to puke... like right now. Running out you just barely make it to a side wall and hurl.

The world is still spinning. Part of it feels like frayed nerves. But the reek of all those herbs: burned, steeped, smoked, etc., is suffused within your clothes right now, and your stomach reminds you it too has nerves. *hurl*

A breeze helps to air out a bit of the miasma you brought outside with you, allowing a moment to catch your breath and look about. Shoshone women with their babies are gathering outside around the Elders' Place. They are softly starting a melodic vocal harmony, structured as a round, like a mother's lullaby calling someone lost back home.

You've seen these events from afar before. They tend to bring The People together in a growing rite that left many an observing Easterner shaken. And now you're within one, albeit the outermost ring.

(care to return inside, stay here, leave this area?)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 06, 2014, 03:01:11 PM
OOC: Music is always hard to describe in an impactful way, so I thought an example akin to what I am trying to express might help all of you "be there."

link: "Wah Jhi Le Yihm" from the film Smoke Signals (http://youtu.be/N8x4_HwbjGY)

Let the pacing from the harmonious melody to the rhythmic crying take you between the fretful waiting and the frantic seizures (CON checks). Enjoy!
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 06, 2014, 03:23:29 PM
OoC: Skin their arm?

Karni will pay attention, then get her shield and leave.

Karni:  1D20 =>   4
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 06, 2014, 03:51:22 PM
Hanalee coughs the last of the smoke from her lungs, and wipes the vomit from her chin. She stands observant at the edge of the women's gathering and feels calmed. She listens to the round for a few measures, and though she isn't exactly sure of the words, she begins to hum along out loud.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 06, 2014, 04:20:54 PM
Quote from: dragoner;785444
OoC: Skin their arm?

Karni will pay attention, then get her shield and leave.

Karni:  1D20 =>   4

OOC: Roll 2H20, and choose WIS or CON. you have advantage. Though you are free to choose to leave. The roll is just to resist the intensity of the situation.

And yes, skin open the victim's arm, splaying it out so as to relieve pressure from the hemotoxin's destruction and inflammation of tissues. There's quite a few educational photos out there of snakebite victims with tissue damage, and a few flayed arms or legs to relieve pressure to avoid amputation. Not for the squeamish.

Let me know if you choose to leave, or forced to leave by your 2nd roll (Adv). It will matter to where what happens next occurs.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 06, 2014, 04:23:06 PM
2H20?

Yes, she'll rejoin the rest of the party.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 06, 2014, 04:25:27 PM
Quote from: dragoner;785459
2H20?

Yes, she'll rejoin the rest of the party.


That's how you roll with Advantage in the dice room. It reads as, "roll two d20s and take the Highest."

And 'the rest of the party' is pretty much Hanalee outside humming along with the other local mothers.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 06, 2014, 04:31:57 PM
Elders' Place

Hanalee

Trying your best to hum along a mother with babe comes to you and hooks her arm into yours and brings you into the harmonic section that you are humming. She hums with you louder so that you can get the melody's pitch down right. Once she feels you got it she unhooks her free arm and the other mothers in that section hook onto you instead.

Looks like your efforts helped you to be embraced among them.
---------------

Karnath

As you leave with your shield you reach just outside the entrance before a worn, elder hand stops you by your elbow. Turning to look you see kind, but worried eyes. Taking you to a quieter side of the building, "What can you tell me of the snake that bit her? What can you tell me of how you found her?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 06, 2014, 05:04:05 PM
She'll tell them what she knows, then go talk to Hanalee if she knows what happened to everyone else.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 06, 2014, 05:07:49 PM
Hanalee stays for as much of the ritual as she can--to its completion if feasible. If not, she looks for a lull in the chant to humbly excuse herself from the group and find Karnath to check on the victim's status.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 06, 2014, 11:46:42 PM
Since everyone but Aldric seems to have found the healers Bright Feather being curious refills her waterskin and sets off back to the graveyard to find Aldric and his nice dog... wondering if he might teach her to train a Cooshie like that...while setting off.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 07, 2014, 05:30:50 AM
Elders' Place

11:05 AM (like you have that accuracy :p)

Karnath

She frowns in confusion, then looks about as if thinking. "That rattlesnake had to have been larger than 5' to have such a fang placement, which is very rare for the type we usually have here." Looks about and holds your arm before you turn to leave, "You tried to suck out some of the venom, we saw from the wound. That is dangerous. Next time use a hollow bone or clay pipe as a straw."

"If you must return to the same spot, tell us as much as you can when you return."
--------------

Hanalee

You take a moment to answer Karnath about where the others went. You at least know about Caden. You are guessing Bright Feather is doing the same.

Mentioning your desire to stay for as long as the ritual, Karnath reminds you that the young acolyte explained this ritual will take hours. She further explains that so far the victim's status is critical and not looking good. Also notes that Alric is out there with a frighteningly sized snake out there, as the grandmothers just informed her.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 07, 2014, 06:16:37 AM
Bright Feather & Caden
Next 15 Minutes, ending 11:20

Bright Feather

Rested, you feel more clearheaded to return and see how Alric is doing. You start to jog and it seems like your natural fleetness has returned. Taking off while Caden is only halfway on out of downtown, you make a little game of who will get to that new graveyard edge first.

Somewhere outside of town you yell at Caden playfully as you start gaining on him. You can reach that new graveyard edge with about a minute to spare, taking a breather at the end. Then on down to wherever Alric is.
--------------

Caden

Checking up on your lone male buddy, you hope he hasn't ran afoul of a snake while everyone else was away. Somewhere outside of town you hear someone call to you from behind. Ah, Bright Feather, making a bit of a game of this return. Well, outside of sprinting there's little hope to outpace her over time.

You can reach that new graveyard furthest edge after 14 minutes and 30 seconds. That'll leave about 30 seconds to relax and catch one's breath. Then to wherever Alric is. Though, you could have a little fun competing with your friend...
------------

If either of you want to risk sprinting, we're doing 2e rules essentially. STR check for each times greater than 1 for your minute speed (max 5x), and CON checks to maintain it (normally per round, but we'll just do checks proportional to speed times per mile). Where you fail is where you degrade by 1x Spd, as you are getting winded. You may fail all the way back down to Jog, which is 1.33x speed.

e.g. Want to reach 5x spd? Succeed on 4 consecutive STR checks (2x, 3x, 4x, 5x). Where you fail is your current top available speed.

e.g. Reached 4x speed? Roll 4 consecutive CON checks per mile. So "success, fail, fail, success" reads as 4x start, 4x, 3x, 2x, 2x.

Reached 2x Spd? Roll 2 consecutive CON checks per mile. So "success, fail" reads as 2x start, 2x, 1.33x (jog).

It's for fun now. Might be useful tool later.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 07, 2014, 06:22:09 AM
Hanalee snaps out of her dazed involvement in the ritual--must still be shaken from her "episode" with the dizziness and vomiting.

"So what do we do next?" the warrior asks Karnath.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 07, 2014, 11:03:53 AM
"We should find the rest of our group, I think they went back to the old graveyard. I had this weird feeling there, like an episode, a point to focus in on." With that she'll go by the well, and considering Bright Feather is probably gone, stop to allow Hanalee to have a drink, then continue onward. She'll think about the strange snake though.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 07, 2014, 06:55:57 PM
I assume you both jog over there?

Hanalee & Karnath

Next 20 Minutes, ending 11:25

After taking a bit of a break (5 minutes) from the recent intensity, you decide to reunite with your allies.

Jogging there you reach the farther edge of the downtown new graveyard.
----------------

Caden & Bright Feather

Do you both linger for 5 minutes, or do you head on down to where the large rock was and on further to find Alric?
-----------------

Alric

I'm going to roll for your Hide in the room, just to speed things up. You may wave over your friends once you see them, or linger and test how good your blind is.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 07, 2014, 08:53:13 PM
Bright Feather scans her surroundings and yells..."Aldric you ok?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 07, 2014, 11:44:25 PM
Karni will follow Bright Feather, looking around for Alric, as well as the place where she felt something weird when carrying the woman out of there.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 08, 2014, 12:28:43 AM
OOC: I'll let Bright Feather linger around the new graveyard's edge, looking about trying to find Alric, & Caden return further on to the large rock where the snake & victims were found. In 5 minutes time Hanalee & Karnath shows up, spotting Bright Feather still near the new graveyard's edge.

Now, at 11:25 AM, only Caden & Alric are separated by distance & angle (altitude).

What do each of you do for the next 5 minutes or so?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on September 08, 2014, 01:46:23 AM
Caden will search the area for Alric. He will refrain from just shouting out to him out of caution.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 08, 2014, 04:46:11 AM
New Graveyard near Downtown

11:30 AM

Bright Feather

Checking for Alric... Checking for Alric... Checking for Alric...

Checking for Alric...

Checking...

"Hi Bright Feather!" You turn to see Hanalee & Karnath now arriving to this side of the graveyard and hailing you. Huh, don't remember them being that fast. Like they snuck up on you & Caden or something, just as you were both starting to check for Alric. Caden?

Looking about you think, 'Why am I standing between graves? There's little place here for even someone Alric's sizes to hide.' (care to investigate?)
--------------------

Karnath & Hanalee

She's obviously searching for clues, that's why her head is down scanning back and forth, back and forth... back and forth. You two walk down from the main trail along the graveyard's edge towards where Bright Feather is. By the time you reach her, she's already partway inside of the grave grounds.

She occasionally mumbles "Alric" as she shuffles deeper into the graveyard, but that doesn't make sense. OK, unless she lost a needle or beads she's obviously not searching for the rest of your group, let alone Alric. He's small, but not that small. And it couldn't be tracking, because her shuffling will destroy whatever she's looking at.

Time to call her awake, maybe she got too much sun after all this running.
--------------

Caden

Well, Alric's tracks lead down to that lower terraced area, the one with the distant mine or den hole. Might as well follow them. Hopefully he didn't tangle with the original snake that caused all this.

Now where could he be... Aww, buddy, you could do better than that. Maybe it was hard to accommodate Mal as well. But the bushes and trees here are a bit lower and gnarled, and that blind will fool only the most casual observant.

How to break it to him that he's pretty naked out there? Could merely wave and call out his name. Though he thinks he's hunting without being spotted yet, so that'd just make him mad.

There are a string of bushes around his back you could use... Would have to fake not spotting him and wandering lost about a bit. (Deception followed by Stealth) Wonder how hard he would punch you for surprising him like that?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 08, 2014, 10:51:59 AM
Alric proven right once again will move from his blind when he sees his friends.

He waves them over. He knows his blind provided excellent coverage from the den.

OOC - I suspect I tanked that roll. :)

When they move closer he says "Seems something is in there or At best guess. I wasn't about to go in alone."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 08, 2014, 11:49:29 AM
Karni will turn to Hanalee, "She doesn't look right." And approach Bright Feather tenderly as to not spook her.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 08, 2014, 05:22:50 PM
Alric, you can only see Caden due to distance & angle/altitude. You wave him over confidently.
---------

Karnath & Hanalee, you see Bright Feather is conscious again after calling out to her, but she does seem confused.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 09, 2014, 01:44:11 AM
Alric & Caden

The natural life about is cozy... almost soporific (makes sleepy). Nice and warm and lunch is coming up. Not investigating the old graveyard, but an interesting mystery to explore. How much does Alric share with Caden about what he's seen?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on September 09, 2014, 01:52:43 AM
Caden approaches Alric "anything interesting happen while we were gone?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 09, 2014, 03:59:30 AM
OOC: If and when Bright Feather is curious, I'll feed more details. Otherwise feel free to carry on you three!
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 09, 2014, 10:44:01 AM
"Feather, you...okay?" Hanalee asks as she walks to Bright Feather's side. "Um, I don't think Alric's here. Er, least not that I can see. Did something happen?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 09, 2014, 10:57:30 AM
Alric shares everything he thinks is unusual except for exact details on attacking that viscous bush. The Bone being different, Mal's reactions, etc..

" . . .And that's whats up" He says with a grin.

"where be the others? and how was the girl doin?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on September 09, 2014, 11:18:52 AM
Caden briefly fills Alric in on what has happened on their end, then asks about the bone "so Mal wouldn't touch it? That's peculiar."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 09, 2014, 12:21:16 PM
"Quite odd indeed" Alric nods " We should get the others and take a look in this den, Just in case, Enough seems amiss around here I don't want to take any chances."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 10, 2014, 11:38:50 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;786041
"Feather, you...okay?" Hanalee asks as she walks to Bright Feather's side. "Um, I don't think Alric's here. Er, least not that I can see. Did something happen?"


Karni will repeat this sentiment, while looking and listening for anything strange.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 10, 2014, 11:49:25 AM
OoC: So tell me what can put an elf in a daze/sleep? Just curious if Bright Feather has an idea of what could be affecting her.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 10, 2014, 04:12:37 PM
OOC: Anything can daze an elf. Elves only have Adv on saving throws v. being charmed. Being paralyzed, or stunned, or any of the other combination of "conscious but out of it" conditions — not all caused by magic — is still frighteningly present in the world. Your people also would speak of places where "the earth isn't right," or "the veil is thin," etc. This knowledge does not soothe you.

Elves don't need sleep, and can't be put to sleep by magic. (They can always be knocked unconscious, though.) And I am not running psionics, as this is RAW Basic .pdf. So, for the most part you may rest assured you may be conscious, barring the truly bad things (this is not necessarily pleasing knowledge).

Is there anything in particular you want to investigate?

Bright Feather

You try to piece together what happened. Your shadow seems a touch shorter, the sun is higher in the sky. Caden would had to have taken at least a minute or more to get out of your visual line — unless he sprinted away. But you heard nothing like that, and he may be stealthy for a human, but that's frighteningly competent.

But you know Karnath & Hanalee, with their bulky armor, are nowhere near as stealthy. And they snuck up on you! On a path skirting the graveyard's edge, that'll take minutes of walking, let alone sneaking. All the while you have better visual distance along the main trail, too. No, this is all wrong.

Had to have been a time slip of some sort. You lost a chunk of time, but you're an elf! Things don't entrance you willy nilly like the younger races, and you certainly don't "sleep," let alone standing up and walking into a graveyard. Whatever you are dealing with is greater than a typical being. Could be a land anomaly... We speak of such things in the dark with shudders, but that conclusion is unnerving.

How much of your fears you choose to share is, as always, up to you.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 11, 2014, 01:32:56 AM
Quote from: dragoner;786167
Karni will repeat this sentiment, while looking and listening for anything strange.

Yes..I'm okay but this land is very wrong we should take precaution against evil in whatever way your Goddess allows you if we proceed....shakes herself and says...it's your choice friend, know I will protect all of us to the best of my ability if you want to go further...with a nervous smile and looks at you eyes luminous and whispers..if I lose myself again though.....
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 11, 2014, 01:56:56 AM
Quote from: Marleycat;786345
Yes..I'm okay but this land is very wrong we should take precaution against evil in whatever way your Goddess allows you if we proceed....shakes herself and says...it's your choice friend, know I will protect all of us to the best of my ability if you want to go further...with a nervous smile and looks at you eyes luminous and whispers..if I lose myself again though.....


Karni is humbled by Bright Feather's faith and courage and looks down, thinking, "Should I try to detect sorcery? Were you beguiled by something?" Looking back up, "yes, the Great Goddess would want us to continue, otherwise the skein of her web wouldn't have brought us here." She looks about to see if she can see something of the land, or the graves, that is wrong. (ooc: perception roll?) "If you lose yourself again, I will be here, or fall beside you." With a demure smile, yet determined look. "Could this be necromancy?" She almost whispers.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 11, 2014, 10:34:51 AM
"Not that your not a nice guy" Alric smiles ruefully " But just where are the Ladies"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 12, 2014, 04:00:04 PM
Karni sings a bit, quietly, as she inspects the surroundings:

I hear you calling Marian
 Across the water, across the wave
 I hear you calling Marian
 Can you hear me calling you to
 Save me, save me, save me from the grave ...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 12, 2014, 10:35:18 PM
Quote from: dragoner;786348
Karni is humbled by Bright Feather's faith and courage and looks down, thinking, "Should I try to detect sorcery? Were you beguiled by something?" Looking back up, "yes, the Great Goddess would want us to continue, otherwise the skein of her web wouldn't have brought us here." She looks about to see if she can see something of the land, or the graves, that is wrong. (ooc: perception roll?) "If you lose yourself again, I will be here, or fall beside you." With a demure smile, yet determined look. "Could this be necromancy?" She almost whispers.


Bright Feather whispers...not charmed more like confused enough to lose where I was. I can't tell you if it's sorcery or something else but if you can detect such it's the least that should be done if we proceed...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 12, 2014, 10:39:43 PM
Quote from: dragoner;786667
Karni sings a bit, quietly, as she inspects the surroundings:

I hear you calling Marian
 Across the water, across the wave
 I hear you calling Marian
 Can you hear me calling you to
 Save me, save me, save me from the grave ...


OOC: I LOL'ed
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 12, 2014, 11:19:08 PM
Everyone - 11:35 AM

Caden

Phew, the sun is warm. Makes you thirsty. Lunch is coming up soon. Alric's a patient fellow to make this his job.

But waiting doesn't seem to be much of a plan. Though it is probably better than wandering into unknown danger. Besides, what else were we doing today?

Man, it's so hot today, the air heavy to breathe, the shade so nice...
----------

Alric

'... and the hermit thrush tends to favor scraping the forest leaf litter along trails looking for food. And lays a clutch of 2-5 speckled eggs, sometimes twice in a year.'

Caden looks bored. Perhaps the outdoor hunter life is too slow for him. But it's all about patience.

Besides, you're pretty sure its all about nearby wolves. They'd create red eyes around the Old Graveyard. They'd feel and look ominous in the dark, spooking night arrivals to town. Just need some confirmation.

Kind of miffed that he just took your word for the investigation, and didn't inspect himself. Not even help. Like he trusts you, yeah, but perhaps just lazy. Such laziness could get us all killed. People who bore easily, nothing but trouble...

Mal lays down looking occasionally back at you -- he seems bored, too. Yeah, nothing but trouble...
------------

Karnath

That's odd, you don't feel like you're going crazy just by being near here. And you're standing atop the downtown new graveyard. However, in your religion there are stories about unsettled graves causing havoc with the living nearby.

That's why it is so important to your faith to properly inter the dead just as you nurture life. Can't believe those higher priests!; how far has our society fallen, Great Goddess? Hmm... A chat to the undertaker, or at least the apprentice, might not be a bad idea.

Where are the guys and what's keeping them?
-----------

Hanalee

They're getting rather macabre on you, Karnath & Bright Feather is. Whisperings, singing spooky lullabies even, like some code. Like trying to keep you out of the loop. Or worse, spare you from frightening things like you're some kid! Or frighten you like some kid! Hey!

First Uncle Hondo, now your companions, geez. What's a destined hero gotta do to get some respect around here? This place creeps you out, but it's not like you haven't been around death before.

I mean, what was all that heroics last night, right? Oh, they don't even know the half of what you've seen last night. Yeah, you know what you've seen, you know who you are -- what do they know?, treating you like a kid. Them and their so close, buddy-buddy relationship...
---------

Bright Feather

This is uncomfortable, standing upon weird earth. And to confide to humans? What could they know about 'the long standing mysteries'? Their senses are not the same.

At least Karnath tried to suss out what happened. That's more than I can say for Hanalee, who just stands there waiting for the next 'heroic moment'. Honestly, the more she wants to seem as an adult the more of a child she seems.

And that uncle of hers had her pegged: to leave her people and prospects and love, for what? Glory? Good thing you're closer to Karnath, she can understand you.

But can she? Karnath herself says she suffers the same struggle as you. But just like the young wood elf suggested, how much can you really trust these young races, these "hot waters." Even the good ones have their agendas, and worse they will leave you fast to establish some sort of 'legacy'. No perspective.
----------

Aynsley

Such wealth... could almost taste it! Wait, that might actually be your stomach growling. Hmm, where to get food, and a good start on profiteering...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 13, 2014, 11:51:15 AM
Karni nods at Bright Feather's advice, and begins to prepare to cast detect magic, seeing Hanalee a bit disturbed, she puts her hand on her shoulder and says, "Hey." Then casts the detect magic, paying special attention from whence it centers upon.

Karni:  1D20+6 =>   19
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 13, 2014, 08:59:40 PM
Hanalee turns to Karnath. "What? I'm fine," she mutters half-heartedly. She is tugging at her gloves, adjusting them, and then stretching the material covering her fingers. She then sighs and crosses her arms, removing the temptation to fiddle with her gloves.

"The quiet...makes me uneasy," she admits softly, and stands still as she watches the cleric's spell settle down.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 13, 2014, 11:24:09 PM
Bright Feather turns to Hana...Would you like to help me investigate for magic or something more? Come with me and shout out if I lose myself, I need to know if it's just the land or something Karni is blind to despite her Goddess, also small one, attend me now...if you see any...uncommon religious symbols yell out, but for now we wait until our friend is done with her ritual. Haste is dangerous in unknown situations.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 13, 2014, 11:35:57 PM
"Yes!" Hanalee says gladly, eager to have a task. "Much like my crossbow bolts, I'm a pretty sharp implement, but I'm at my best when I'm aimed with purpose." She pays attention to Bright Feather's behavior, looks where she looks, and examines what she examines.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 14, 2014, 12:16:39 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;786825
"The quiet...makes me uneasy," she admits softly, and stands still as she watches the cleric's spell settle down.


"Me too." Karni says to Hanalee as she walks amongst the fresh graves.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 14, 2014, 01:02:33 AM
"S'part of why I was drawn to that group chant back at the village," Hanalee confesses to Karni as she steps among tombstones. "I didn't mean to abandon you with the sick girl. Also, I was feelin' a little woozy myself..."

She gently rolls a smooth rock over and kicks it away. "Wonder where the boys went?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 14, 2014, 01:50:32 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;786848
"S'part of why I was drawn to that group chant back at the village," Hanalee confesses to Karni as she steps among tombstones. "I didn't mean to abandon you with the sick girl. Also, I was feelin' a little woozy myself..."

She gently rolls a smooth rock over and kicks it away. "Wonder where the boys went?"


"That all made uneasy back there too." Looking around some more. "Weren't the guys over that way?" Pointing in a random direction she thought Caden went, then shrugs.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 15, 2014, 09:59:41 AM
"I don't like the others being left behind. Let's head back. I watched the den for a while without any movement to speak of."

If Caden agrees we will head back to the Graveyard.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on September 15, 2014, 10:25:10 AM
Caden nods his assent to Alric. "Yeah best to be heading back to the others."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 15, 2014, 11:35:04 AM
OOC: Sorry, weekend. :) Hope you all had fun, too.

I suspect Karnath is taking 10 minutes to do a Detect Magic ritual to save a Spell Slot?

New Graveyard, by Downtown

11:45 AM

Hanalee & Bright Feather

Karnath prepares a circle of corn meal upon an empty intersection between the rows and columns of graves. Not feeling comfortable standing upon graves yourself either, both of you take a flank to make sure nothing physical immediately interrupts her. There's no one here, but at the very least you three can seem like mourners paying their respects if anyone came by.

Karnath repeatedly twists her prayer wheel so that its light drumming becomes a droning staccato. She stares off into space while simultaneously drawing serpentine glyphs of cornmeal lines. Midway through the ritual, after finishing the lines, she throws her head back, eyes rolled up behind her head, speaking in a forkéd tongue a flurry of fricatives, side-hisses, and alveolar explosions of the kind you'd imagine of a talking snake.

What an unnerving location to first witness this! Mercifully, Bright Feather, you recognize this is still all part of the Arcana process and soothes Hanalee before she becomes any more alarmed. How alien each of our esoteric traditions must be to the foreign, let alone the mere un-initiated.
(Bright Feather passively knows enough Arcana that this is still the ritual. She Helps Hanalee to automatically save v. being Frightened from this scene.)

Hanalee - {There she goes babying me again as if I cannot recognize anything myself... What process is this, all an effort in trying to scare me and make me look like the fool? Should mess with the corn meal lines just to show I'm no one's inside joke. Their friendship is such a mean girls clique...}

Bright Feather - {Crude brute force method to appeal to the Creator's intercessors. How... unrefined, and expected... for a human. At least Hanalee isn't screaming yet, though probably is inside like some ignorant child. Such little knowledge of the world beyond the physical, why should she be privy to this mysterious scene -- rudimentary as Karnath's ritual is -- with so little grasp? She's suffered nothing to warrant being a witness here...}
--------------

Karnath

Lost within ritual for 10 minutes you arrive just outside it and cast Detect Magic. Your eyes roll down to a reality suffused in auric refraction, like squinting through eyelashes the blinding midday light of the sun. By the radiance affecting the tint of your view of the sky, already you can tell you are all in immediate danger; the atmosphere about you is a violent, swirling rainbow, like on a bubble.

That still does not prepare you for the sheer, suspended snow of orbs around you. Mote auras surround you as you turn your head about in utter awe. Aghast, you note two alit upon Hanalee's & Bright Feathers' head, and for each a second passes by where you see a different person behind their eyes.

Unlike the monstrous aura filling your sky, whose qualities seem to comprise several schools of magic at least, these orbs are necromantic in nature. And worse, they seem to respond upon your visual focus, as if aware that you are now aware. Most take flight immediately into the earth, dipping out of your auric sight often between 1' to 3' feet below the surface. Some float towards or alight upon you three as if in an act of defiance.

{voice in your head} "Hey there, girlie! Lookie who can see what I see. Wanna help a pal out? Just need to borrow you for only a moment, whaddya say..."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 15, 2014, 11:55:56 AM
Forgotten Mine/Den Terrace, a ways distant and below the Downtown New Graveyard

11:45 AM

Alric

You two get ready, packing up to do something that feels more productive. Mal is remarkably well behaved through this process. Such a warm day, putting away all this stuff, and a shame as it was such a quality blind.
-----------

Caden

Good, ready to go. There's too much going on to just focus on some slow mystery here. And a little more and you'd slip into that nice warm, sinking feeling. Thank goodness that blind is being torn down and abandoned, too; he'd have gotten himself killed for sure in that flimsy camouflage.
------------

Alric & Caden

Off you two go, up mountain towards the New Graveyard and eventually the Main Trail.

/Alric whistles for Mal to follow

...

/whistles again

"Mal?"

So still & obedient? "Mal! Here!"

"Mal!" running to his side.

Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit! He's not moving! Nudging him, he's stiff. Nudge him hard and he tips over as if a statue. His eyes are all glassy and staring out in terror, there's frothy spittle upon the edge of his muzzle. Checking his breath and pulse he lives, but he's tense like stone! What the...?!
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 15, 2014, 12:27:13 PM
"MAL . . .MAL " Alric shakes him violently. " Caden get the Girls. NOW!" Alric shouts.

Start checking him over for snake bites, then looking around to see what caused this.

OOC - Investigation rolled in room 18 / Perception rolled 14
And attacking a man's dog "tsk .. Tsk <> bad GM"  :)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on September 15, 2014, 12:42:06 PM
"On it" Caden shouts back, already sprinting to find the girls.

Caden will run full out (if he's able that is) until he reaches them and explains the situation.

Rolled a 20 in room in case any checks are needed.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 15, 2014, 04:58:49 PM
"No!" Karni shouts as she resists the voice. "We are all in immediate danger! There are forces here necromantic in nature!"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 15, 2014, 06:58:46 PM
"And what--you think the weak little girl is going to run back to town terrified?" Hanalee spits back at both of the other women. "Well guess again! I'm NOT scared, and you two can try all you like, but I'm not leaving this graveyard!"

Even as she says this, Hanalee momentarily suspects it is all wrong...like she's speaking someone else's words...

NO! Screw that! These girls are trying to edge her out! Let them have it!
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 15, 2014, 07:24:44 PM
Quote from: dragoner;787091
"No!" Karni shouts as she resists the voice. "We are all in immediate danger! There are forces here necromantic in nature!"

Bright Feather asks..what did you see? Can you describe it?..looking around warily.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 15, 2014, 07:45:25 PM
Quote from: Marleycat;787139
Bright Feather asks..what did you see? Can you describe it?..looking around warily.


"A maelstrom of color, and a snowstorm of glowing orbs, like spirits immaterial. I have an evil feeling about this. Much magic. Several schools." She tells Bright Feather. Then turning to Hanalee, "You have to fight it off!"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 15, 2014, 07:53:16 PM
Bright Feather grabs Hana...we are leaving now and will find the guys and rethink this endeavour ...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 15, 2014, 07:55:12 PM
Armed and armored, holy sigil upon her shield raised, Karni will cover the withdrawal.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 15, 2014, 08:08:55 PM
11:46 AM

Caden

Lungs burning you scramble up the steep escarpment to get up to the New Graveyard level. Didn't think you could run up such a grade safely in less than a minute — must be running on fight or flight mode. Alric's buddy is in danger, never seen a body so stiff that it tips over like a statue, well except that weird period soon after death (rigor mortis)...

Shit, man, and he was such a cool little guy. Even willing to take a punch for me. Feeling obliged to care for a new friend, but just met him yesterday. Are we ready to grieve together like that so soon?

There's the women over yonder, a good minute by jog, 400' (or 3 rounds by the way you're sprinting full speed in panic). (You can sprint full speed to them. Just take a moderate CON check now for being winded afterwards. You did a massive wind sprint, uphill a steep grade, and added a lap sprint.) Something's wrong... no, no, no! They work together better than this!

Karnath is on the ground calling out and struggling to get up quickly, swinging her arms about as if she's seeing things not there and trying to warn the others. Hanalee look, stand-offish, argumentative? Does she ever get mad? She's always been so acquiescent with you yesterday. Bright Feather looks flustered from the antics. This is unnerving...
------------

Alric

Looking Mal all over for a snake bite you find nothing. What the hell is going on? The frothing is minor and not a familiar visible symptom of going rabid, something you've seen before in other animals. Also the rigidity, and so quickly, completely denies that assumption.

Wait... those bones. There's that longer one nearby. Maybe he got sick from a disease? That usually doesn't happen, but Mal didn't like the taste so... Need Karnath's help, maybe she'll know. And who will help you carry Mal out of here?

Where's Caden? You need your friends, but how can you leave Mal's side? Maybe they aren't that far? Can you risk it, or just wait and have faith in your new found friends?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 16, 2014, 08:23:40 AM
Karnath

"Aww, help a brother out. It's only a little roughing up of that back-stabbing son of a bitch who stole my fucking future for blood money—"

"I'll give you silver, more than you can count. I got a nice forgotten claim a ways off. Let me ride you. It'll be fun, let me ride you—"

"— he deserves to burn in hell right now, this very moment! I'll kill him! I'll kill him with my very own hands, you hear me! KILL HIM!"

"—Oh, c'mon, just for another romp downtown, sweet thing. Haven't you ever been thirsty, girlie. They say for a price you can try anything at Tunnels &—"

"—Just over those mountains is family & home. Gotta warn my brothers not to come here. Too dangerous. They'll eat him alive here. Gotta warn—"

"— you'll miss it you know, the pleasures of the flesh. Learn to take what you can, when you can, missy. Come on, let me show you what's out there!"

"My brother will die, ma'am! I gotta go back and save him! Why won't you open to me? I gotta go, I need to go, OPEN DAMN YOU!"
-----------

Bright Feather

{She's getting hostile, that Hanalee, letting herself be manipulated. How expected. She'll just be more trouble for us later on, obviously. Should probably tell her off right now, work her into her predictable anger. Then she can go find herself on whatever that stupid, self-destructive quest she thinks she's on. Finally Karnath and I would be able to get some actual work done.}
------------

Hanalee

{Oh no, she did not just grab my arm and try to usher me out like some sort of stray child. Who the hell does she think she is? Little Miss Dazed and Confused, with Thrashy the Wonder Priestess here, think with a little whiz-bang magic they can make "trouble and the bad men" go away again? And what the hell was I, Hanalee, doing getting my chops busted last night? At least with that Bandit Bitch Queen last night you knew where you stood with her, stabbing you from the front!}
-----------


(We could start rolling save checks, but we're having such fun with roleplaying, yes? I'll let you enjoy this and give an opportunity to cue such checks upon yourself as you see fit... for now.

I did use 5e MM concepts for this, too. Not direct ports of monsters, as setting wise they don't fit as well, but repurposing of existing specials and stats. I just did not expect you'd all beeline for so much danger so quickly. If you are interested in a behind the screen breakdown later, let me know in [Interest] topic.)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 16, 2014, 11:46:29 AM
Hanalee plants her feet and resists Karnath's pull on her arm. "Fight it off?" she asks the cleric incredulously. "The only thing I have to fight...is you!" She tugs her arm backwards, and suddenly growls.

"Magic," she hisses bitterly, like an accusation. "You did something, didn't you? The BOTH of you!"

"You called something up that you can't control..."

She draws a dagger, but steps back from the others far enough that she won't have to use it...part of her holds her dagger back...she doesn't want to use it at all...but the other, angrier part, tells her that this is how it has to be...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 16, 2014, 12:03:25 PM
{ooc: what's my save?  Karni:  1D20 =>   11}

Karni will keep her shield raised, holy image of The Great Goddess protect her, the Moon, like a spider's egg sac, which she rolls into the sky at night. Cursed Sun Father, of course this happens in his light.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 16, 2014, 02:10:22 PM
Bright gives a frustrated shake...fine just stay here then!..are you coming Karni?

(OoC: D20 roll=19 if we get to save)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 16, 2014, 02:44:15 PM
Quote from: Marleycat;787289
Bright gives a frustrated shake...fine just stay here then!..are you coming Karni?

(OoC: D20 roll=19 if we get to save)


"Right behind you!" Karni brings up the rear.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 16, 2014, 03:40:30 PM
"Damn it . . . Damn . . Damn" He keeps checking over Mal like that will change what happened. Thinking it isn't disease more likely poison only thing that would work so fast, But his body so stiff, just not right.

Gotta wait, trust your friends, They wouldn't let poor Mal get hurt, Would they?

No, Gotta have faith. . .
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 16, 2014, 04:00:08 PM
Hanalee grits her teeth and watches the others flee.

(OOC: I rolled a d20 to save also and got a 4)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on September 16, 2014, 05:01:29 PM
Caden will attempt too sprint the rest of the way to the girls. (blew the roll made a 6 but lets see how it pans out)

"Hey whats going on! We've got trouble back the other way, the dog is petrified or something!" Caden screams at the top of his lungs, no time to puzzle out what's going on.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 16, 2014, 07:51:28 PM
Bright Feather, Caden, Hanalee, & Karnath

still 11:46 AM

Caden

You get there to the women, but you collapse in a heap gasping. Sprinting full tilt up a 40 percent grade hill is no joke. You're panting outright and lightheaded, like about to faint. You need at least a round to start pointing, and another round atop to spit out any useful information.

Meanwhile you feel a bit helpless as you watch (this round and the next) the women tear each other apart inside the graveyard's borders.

(Just scribble up what Caden will gesture or pant out, and after those 12 seconds you can talk normally, albeit still recovering on the ground. Put it all in the same post.)
-----------

(The current option for the women was "save roll OR roleplaying it out." Nice to see a variety of choices selected, and a 5e function I'd like to try again later (we get to roleplay anything out! yay!). I can understand selecting either dice or role play, for various reasons; personally sometimes I roll because I like randomized creativity, sometimes I can't trust myself to choose suffering temptation. But the dice are not always your friend, too. So let's resolve this!)

Bright Feather

Shaking it off, you know that you just need to get away from this situation. And with Karnath's warning, you know this doubly so. Crazy is happening, time to ramp down the drama and walk off this 'weird and bad earth'.

Walking off the graveyard, you come across a crumpled bodily form. Oh, it's Caden! He's panting heavily, totally winded. Where the hell has he been all this time? ...
-----------

Hanalee

Typical mean girl behavior. Yeah, you better back away! That's why Georgette and I are cool. She knows what it's like to be a strong girl picked on by petty, smaller girls, and being told that you can't just punch them out. Think they're so smart — but you're still a shitty friend!

I should yell something clever and dismissive like them. Like, um, what?
------------

Karnath

(and now we get to the unfriendly dice...)

Better not escalate, she doesn't mean it. Can't leave her to these things either. Goddess, protect me! Shameful Sun Father, be gone from me!

"... are you coming Karni?"

I sure am coming, this place is too dangerous. "Right behind you!"

Best thing I can do for Hanalee is leave her alone with no one to figh—

/a coldness seizes your heart. But it's not like really abandoning a friend!

"A ha! Open! I can almost taste the whiskey—"

"I gotta go save my brother!"

"You stupid son of— at least let me ride, too!"

Out of your own mouth, Karnath, "No! You can't come with! I won't let you! You'll only get in the way!" You hear it like a distant observer...

The sensation of running full tilt, heedlessly, down mountain. {To the East, over those high mountains, to the massive desert of grass! Home! Home! I must save my brother!} ... like a distant observer riding a crazy horse.
------------

Hanalee

(rolling after choosing roleplay is deliberately tempting fate, y'know? ;) Well, it makes for interesting situations at least.)

{The hell I will get in the way! You are not the boss of me! I'll show you! Aaaaarrgggh!} Your fists and teeth clench, your eyes feel like a red film clouds your vision. {Racing is something I can do. Outrun the likes of you and knock your ass down, too!} The sensation of running full tilt, heedlessly, after Karnath, but like atop an animal mount — a Hanalee mount?

"Come back here you coward! I can do anything you can do better!" That's my Hanalee voice, but doesn't feel like my own Hanalee words... And that new voice inside my head, it wasn't there before, was it? Was it!?... Uh-oh!
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 16, 2014, 08:28:12 PM
OOC: To Caden & Bright Feather, you watch these rounds as Hanalee chases Karnath, who in turn chases the Eastern horizon. Winded Caden & Bright Feather are left with each other after a bewildering scene. Feel free to respond normally as before.

Hanalee & Karnath, you both can still function. But note you are reasoning with another being controlling your body. Your actions are more an effort to fight to regain control, like the Steve Martin movie All of Me. Wacky (deadly?) hijinks to likely ensue.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 18, 2014, 01:40:33 AM
OOC: Any clarification needed? You all get to respond in the big graveyard before the upcoming chase goes into full swing down the mountain.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 18, 2014, 11:57:10 AM
Karni does what? I don't know. Runs off.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 18, 2014, 01:20:00 PM
OoC: How far away are they?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 18, 2014, 02:15:16 PM
Hanalee tears after the girls at full speed--after she gets several feet, she jerks to a stop, then her body pulls herself forward. She winces as her legs involuntarily begin to dash forward, and soon she is running again.

"Hey!" she shouts after them. "Wait--I think--something's--"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 18, 2014, 06:04:37 PM
Bright Feather & Caden

Neither of you are currently possessed to run down the mountain, or chase someone who is. You are free to pursue instinctively, as the past 12 seconds was a flurry of heated words, attitude, and confusion. However, if you found Karnath & Hanalee's actions surprising, you are free to respond to each other about what the hell just happened.

Caden is a little worse for wear from running full tilt up mountain, but could probably be back up and jogging in another 6 seconds (another round) after this one.

Quote from: Marleycat;787658
OoC: How far away are they?

As for how far, they just started -- however it is full on sprint. Yet how do I represent that with RAW? Currently there's no real answer to that. I'm going to talk GM shop for a bit, looking behind the screen if you will and getting where I am coming from.

So let me show you how I got here: Mathematically they are both 30'/round, so RAW Minute Fast movement rate (Jog) is only x1.3 Speed. As per RAW, they vacillate on the meaning of "walk," apparently also adding "short bursts of energetic movement," as noted here:

Quote
Speed
Every character and monster has a speed, which is the distance in feet that the character or monster can walk in 1 round. This number assumes short bursts of energetic movement in the midst of a life-threatening situation. (Basic 5e .pdf Aug 2014, p 63, col. 2.)

Therefore those energetic bursts accommodate for battle, but it's still pretty much walking. So I "mathed" it. 1 round = 6 seconds = 30 feet. So let's divide 1 mile and find out how many minutes it takes to walk a mile! 5280 feet/30 feet per round = 176 rounds. 176 rounds * 6 seconds per round = 1056 seconds. 1056 seconds/60 seconds per minute = 17.6 minutes.

Looking up the statistical healthy average, it's just over, but could account for the retired and elderly averaged in. Essentially a little over 3 miles per hour (or under over 4 miles per hour). Which if you note your Travel Pace in .pdf RAW is a little off, Normal is 3 miles/hour & Fast is 4 miles/hour, but still workable. That means the "Fast" pace in there is not much more over a walk; it's more of a Jog if anything.

Makes sense for longer rates of travel. However, there's still no sprinting in there. Even accounting for Difficult Terrain (a stretch... lots of grave markers? stone and brush?) cutting the move rate by 1/2, it still does not do justice to the idea of a sprint. So I went back to the up to x5 rate, with STR & CON checks, from 2e. This way an unsustainable sprint can occur. Hopefully by the new DMG we'll get new WotC ideas on this.

So, as I plugged it into the Dice Room, you can all see what happened. Everyone gets up to 2x fine for free, it's 3x+ per step that gets harder. Currently Karnath is going 3x Spd and Hanalee is going 4x Spd, or 90' and 120' this round. Given you all started around 1/3 deep inside the graveyard, that should leave them just about 3/4 across the graveyard from the Main Trail. (Graveyard roughly 230' long. 6' per body, 4' per aisle pathway.)[/COLOR]
---------------

Karnath & Hanalee

Quote from: dragoner;787644
Karni does what? I don't know. Runs off.

Very honest, like a response from shock. Stunned, you let your body run off in this surreal state of 3rd person removed perspective from yourself.

Let me know when you try to wrestle back control from the soul that wants to warn its brother.

Quote from: Mr. Kent;787672
Hanalee tears after the girls at full speed--after she gets several feet, she jerks to a stop, then her body pulls herself forward. She winces as her legs involuntarily begin to dash forward, and soon she is running again.

Signs of an internal struggle, creating a good enough delay to not immediately catch up to, and knock down, Karnath this round. Instead of 120' this round you run an equivalent 90' and she's just out of reach.

{So close! If I push myself I know I can reach her and knock her down! And then I'll show them all who's the best!}

Quote from: Mr. Kent;787672
"Hey!" she shouts after them. "Wait--I think--something's--"

{She's getting away, you loser!}

Jerking back against your delay, you continue running off involuntarily again. This guy has some serious aggression issues!

"You better run! I won't let you off so easily this time!"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 18, 2014, 08:53:09 PM
Karni will try to regain control.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 19, 2014, 11:22:57 AM
Bright Feather jumps up and down waving her arms...Hey!!! Over here! Fight those spirits....pulls out her bow and nocks an arrow. Listen to me spirits let my friends go before I make their bodies unsuitable for your games....
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 21, 2014, 12:14:40 AM
OOC: I shall assume that unless otherwise stated, you'll either stand there waiting or repeat your last action.

What I have so far:

Alric - patiently waiting for Caden & friends to help him with poor ol' Mal!
Caden - while winded trying to communicate to the rest of the 'heroic party' the current emergency with Alric's buddy pet Mal.
Bright Feather - Intimidate possessing spirits to let them go (by roleplay), on penalty of bodily attack.
Karnath - Resisting possession (by roll). Appeal to reason, horse sense, or persuasion? Or bully by argument, willpower, or presence?
Hanalee - Resisting possession (by roleplay), trying to jerk body to a halt.
Aynsley - decide which tavern to have a delicious lunch! :)

Last chance to change anything!

Sprinting Hanalee & Karnath both seem like they are herky-jerky, as if there's a struggle inside, a challenge to threaten or make obey. And more so due to sprinting away rapidly towards the stony area where the woman was found and the sharp slope downward occurs. There is an outside chance they might listen to Bright Feather, but outside of this round it will only be harder.

Caden (along with Hanalee and Alric) knows that 40% grade is dangerous to regular movement, and especially sprinting. If there's any self-preservation, the fear of that slope would make them slow down there at least. That's coming up another 200'+ distant from where those two currently are. That might give another chance to catch up to them and stop this horror.

And then there's always a chance Alric might end up being (albeit confused) interference at the next level terrace...


OOC: I thought a snow of 5e will o' wisps in this graveyard would have been utter TPK booby trap, and not make complete sense, setting wise this close to town. These creatures are toned down heavily. That said, this is easily one of the most dangerous immediate areas you can reach. I hope I have been communicating that ahead of time without everyone feeling sandbagged.

Do your best! :cheerleader:
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 22, 2014, 08:48:33 PM
I need Karnath to roll and tell me how she is trying to wrest control back.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 22, 2014, 09:32:43 PM
She goes, "Out, out, foul demon!" Karni:  1D20 =>   6
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 23, 2014, 02:39:23 PM
OOC: I am assuming sheer willpower on the part of Karnath (which would be a nice +4). But the dice gods are fickle and cruel of late.

Caden

Off they go, the two of them, faster'n you've seen them ever run. It's so weird, so unlike them. And to take Bright Feather's word they are possessed by ill spirits — which is a whole lot better than taking solely her action to account, drawing aim at her friends with a bow. What the hell has been going on here?

Better now, catching your breath, you can fully voice your concerns for Alric and his animal pal Mal.
--------------

Bright Feather

You thought that threat would make most sane people stop, but you haven't been in the business of bullying people into submission, so it's hard to tell. They both continue running, you'd swear almost heedlessly except for the subtle jerky motions you notice in both of them as not being their normal stride. I guess there was a use to witnessing them run before...

They have been in long range (currently at 90', your S. Bow short range is at 80'), and now they will rapidly speed out of it. At this rate they'll be out of range in 3 rounds. Might have to move with them to keep this threat up, or risk missing a lot (which is tempting in and of itself, as your friends are still inside).
--------------

Hanalee

{She doesn't mean it. She won't shoot me. Besides, I'm like the wind! Faster than anyone's aim!}

You try to jerk control away, physically juking to one side or the other in an attempt to stumble. For the most part it works, stalling out your run another time to merely match Karnath's speed. Sorta afraid what will happen if you catch up to her while in this weird state.

"Out, out, foul demon!" you hear from Karnath ahead of you, as she continues to barrel on.

{Yeah, right. I won't get out of your sight so easily, just because you call me names. Typical bullies, I'll show you! Get over here!}

Weird, that doesn't make total sense. Should be "begone, foul demon!" or "away, foul demon!" Wait... maybe that wasn't addressed to me? Wonder if Karnath is having a similar frightening experience.
---------------

Karnath

That command from a priestess should make the foul fiend flinch at the very least! ...

{What! There's a foul demon on our tail? Oh my god! Run faster, I must reach my brother! I must warn him, there's even demons here!}

... frustrating. I might have to approach this spirit with either more force or another way.
--------------

Alric

You faintly hear a commotion above at the higher terrace. Hopefully that's your friends coming to help!
--------------

Aynsley

Ground squirrels and pine nuts in many places. Sounds pretty good. But the mountain ram at Geraldine's sounds like a feast. Hmmm, what am I in the mood for?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 23, 2014, 02:48:43 PM
Bright Feather shoots her Shortbow in an attempt to overshoot them if possible and starts to move after them to keep in range...I'm warning you spirits I am not going to let you have them for your evil games...

OOC: I have no idea what roll would be required for an on purpose overshot.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 23, 2014, 02:48:46 PM
Slowly rubbing down Mal's fur. "they're coming pal, They're coming"

Just gotta have faith.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 23, 2014, 04:12:59 PM
ooc: approach it another way?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 24, 2014, 07:28:16 AM
Quote from: Marleycat;788279
Bright Feather shoots her Shortbow in an attempt to overshoot them if possible and starts to move after them to keep in range...I'm warning you spirits I am not going to let you have them for your evil games...

OOC: I have no idea what roll would be required for an on purpose overshot.


No need to roll, you're just shooting for max distance for effect, not aim! :)

I will use it as an Intimidate modifier to show you mean business, since you are interested in intimidating them again.

Quote from: dragoner;788285
ooc: approach it another way?


Basically, behind the screen, I am asking you whether you force or persuade the possessor, and through which stat (skill). You can try to cast it out again through straight up Wis check, as that's your best mod. But stats can be used more than one way. Just as WIS can be used for raw willpower commands, it could be used for intuition and empathy. Similar for other stats, you can probe where this spirit is most vulnerable — you share the same headspace now.

As an acolyte you have likely dealt with, or heard of, challenges while "Appeasing the Dead." Spirits may be reasoned, lured, bullied, cajoled, tricked, etc. as each are their own distinct personality with distinct desires. Exorcisms however are more involved, and you are definitely at a disadvantaged since you are being possessed yourself.

As to "why the fuck the GM ganked my character and de-protagonized me," it is part of the setting that people tend to avoid (Easterner) graveyards, especially around important lunar phases, because weird shit happens. You may deem it superstition, however, especially for those of you who are not locals. By taking 10 minutes to do a ritual inside that land, especially closer to the new moon (or was it full, have to double check previous IC thread), folklore feels you exposed yourself to continuous probing for weaknesses by these cyclical creatures. Tis would be something Hanalee at the very least would know (possibly Alric & Bright Feather, too, though both are from outsider cultures).

People, let me know what you do next![/COLOR]
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on September 24, 2014, 09:57:53 AM
Now having caught some of his wind back Caden will do his best to draw the attention of the others to Mals plight. If he can't convince them fairly quickly he will begin to make his way back to Alric and bring him up to speed on the mess going on up hill.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 24, 2014, 10:45:13 AM
while stroking Mal will keep his ears out to listen for his arriving mates.

Rolled a 9 + 4 for perception of 13, Not likely to know what is going on :)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 24, 2014, 08:04:00 PM
Caden

Well, at the very least this mess is heading in the right direction. Can't believe things could switch from a sleepy, sunny day to outright disaster so damn fast. No, wait, that is believable — seen it in your profession more than enough.

You yell at the top of your lungs that there's even more problems, that Alric's dog Mal is in danger. Paralyzed, stiff like he's dead, but barely has life in it yet. You jog to keep up with this madness (40'), hoping at some point when it fixes itself they'll be able to help.

Especially since you need Karnath's expertise. It's so unlike her to be given to petty outbursts, and right when you need her medical knowledge more than ever. But given her rate of speed, and the coming sharp slope, you worry if she'll end up needing attention herself.

Time and distance is running out...
--------------

Bright Feather

Nice arc, should show I mean business. Better run & Dash to keep them in range. Next round I can keep them in threat range while intimidating.
-------------

Hanalee

/arrow arcs overhead, clatters in the distance and disappears.

{Ha! A wide shot. Couldn't even hit a broad side of a barn! Dammit, fool! Let go from these legs, you're slowing me down!}
-------------

Karnath

/arrow arcs overhead, clatters in the distance and disappears.

{Oh shit, and they're shooting at us! We're all gonna die! I gotta get to my brother. He shouldn't come here, nor the little ones, too. I gotta run to them!

Oh to tell maw-maw I'm sorry for running off to make my fortune early and buy my own homestead. Oh to tell Sue Ann sorry for all those promises I made to save her from marrying that old man. I'd even take that silent, staring down from our paw-paws.

I gotta make it out of this! I gotta run!}
---------------

Alric

Think it was "'something, something', foul demon!" Well that's just odd. Cursing is not an everyday thing to say, unless you really mean it.

/sound of arrow clattering to the ground up slope.

Turning to look you see an arrow careen off the slope edge and continue clattering on down the steep grade, resting about halfway. Fighting? Oh no! What's going on up there! What of Caden and your other friends?!
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 25, 2014, 09:48:26 AM
Karni:  1D20+4 =>   13  using wis

anything possessing her she looks at as evil.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 25, 2014, 12:46:21 PM
Alric curses under his breath, "Damn it all"

Mal's condition does not seem to be changing and I need them to help. Alric turns from Mal and starts up the slope. Knowinghe is slower than Caden but still he does his best, Making it halfway before his chest tightens and the world spins around him. He pushes on though probably not as fast.

Con check was a total of 6.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 25, 2014, 07:51:26 PM
Karnath

(OOC: I don't know what to say. I could tip my screen to let you know the challenge, but that would seem cruel at this point. The dice apparently hate you right now. :( Do your best!)

{Aah! So there are demons chasing me, shooting at me! Run! Run! Oh my dear family, how wrong I was!}

You run heedlessly for another 90'.
-------------

Alric

(I would make you roll for STR to get up to sprint, but let's just waive it as you have a growing sense of panic. You reach the slope easily (125' away). You will go full tilt — up a 40% grade — going over 60' a round. This will still take time, but we're looking at least 2 more round to crest this slope.)

Gracious! Mal's down, your friends might be in trouble, everything's falling down around you! You must try to salvage something, someone, some help at all!
------------

Anyone else doing anything different?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on September 25, 2014, 11:17:01 PM
OOC: What the fuck is the terrain and where is Bright Feather in relation to Karanth and the guys? If Aldric and Mal are closer she's out of this circus enough is enough. Give me how far am from Hani and Karni please.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 26, 2014, 06:17:47 AM
OOC: Caden would yell about Alric & Mal being further down mountain, past this large level stretch (which includes the New Graveyard AND where you found the snakebite victim rock), and down a steep slope to another "terrace level" below. It is impossible to see Alric & Mal, you are completely working off of Caden's word.

As for Karnath & Hanalee, here's the math:

10' of curb from Main Trail to New Graveyard. New Graveyard is roughly 230' long. Altogether 240'.

The extra 'leveled stretch' (which gradually slopes down) is where you found the snakebite victim. The gentle sloping & distance is why others off the Main Trail took little notice. This is in excess of 200'.

Afterwards comes the sharp 40% slope, 100' down to another level, but narrow, stretch of mountain. From the Main Trail to this sharp slope is about 486'.

You all were by the ritual 1/3 the way inside New Graveyard (from the Main Train side), essentially >76', along with +10' for the curb, so starting this scene >86' from the Main Trail.

When Caden had to reach the women at the ritual, it was 400' from the edge of the sharp slope to them. So 486' if we add the previous >86' from the ritual point. >486' - 240' leaves >246' to the sharp slope edge.

That leaves 154' + 246' = 400' from the ritual to the sharp slope. The same 400' Caden sprinted to the women after that killer slope.

Karnath & Hanalee both move 3x Spd, or 90' a round. They have moved 3 rounds so far. That is 270' so far. 400'-270' leaves 130' left to the sharp slope edge. So in two rounds all inside those bodies will face a steep decision.

I assume Bright Feather took her 35' after shooting the arrow on the second round (you were leaving the graves & shaking off influence on the round they failed) and will use up your action to Move+Dash another 70' on the third round. This will give you a better chance to Intimidate & mean it on this coming 4th round.

You traveled 105', bringing you to 295' of the sharp slope edge, and Karnath & Hanalee are 165' from you. You will still shoot at them with disadvantage, but soon those spirits will have a tough choice, especially if you choose to Dash & close the distance instead.

Wholly unknown to everyone else, Alric has reached the base of this sharp slope and is about to scale it as fast as he can, regardless to how much it will hurt lungs. This will be at 60'/rd up a 100' slope, taking two rounds — just as the two possessed characters will reach the crest of this same slope at high speeds, under threat of being shot at.

Soon, in about 2 rounds, something spectacular might happen.
:)

There is also a train of apples leaving Chicago at 11:15 AM traveling at 70 mph on a 3% grade... sorry, math humor. :p
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 26, 2014, 10:20:22 PM
Whatever else happens, Hanalee will continue to fight the possession from the inside.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 26, 2014, 10:30:40 PM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;788813
Whatever else happens, Hanalee will continue to fight the possession from the inside.


Do you keep attempting to mess with STR? Struggle with muscle control?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on September 27, 2014, 07:43:51 AM
Yes, with STR. Hanalee tries to lock up her limb muscles as to run no farther nor take any actions against her friends.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on September 29, 2014, 07:53:45 PM
still inside 11:46 AM

Hanalee

{Dammit, she's gonna reach that edge before me! Aha! If I sprint a little harder this round I can push her off next round and watch her tumble on down! That'll show who's best!}

You gotta save your friend from that push! That's 100' slope down to the next level! Karnath could be seriously injured if you don't do something NOW!

/left knee locks hard in the bent position

{NOOoOoOOooo! Give me back that leg, you fool!}

Here comes the ground. This is going to hurt.
--------------

Caden

Jogging closer, giving your lungs a break, traveling another 40' towards the sharp slope. At least we're still heading towards your little buddy.

Why are they all acting weird by this place? First Bright Feather started to veer into the graves as she was outpacing me during the snakebite emergency. Now Karnath & Hanalee are acting insane. Nothing bothered you at all here, you think.

Oh, and down goes Hanalee. Nasty spill at that speed. Good thing she's armored, no sharp stones scraping up her sides. But that still looks painful. Might even wake her up from being crazy.
-------------

Bright Feather

Gotta get closer, gotta let them know you're close enough to mean business!

Dashes another 70', picking out the best place to skid to a halt & take aim. Oh, Hanalee just went down? Ouch!

Yes, seems like that first intimidation worked on someone at least!
------------

Karnath

("Out foul demon, out!")

{Oh no! What're we gonna do! — wait, what's that noise?}

Looks behind and sees Hanalee has taken a nasty spill. Faces ahead again to race on.

{Oh, I'm spared at least one demon! Thank you!}

("Out foul demon, out!")

{Wait, who are you talking about?}
--------------

Alric

Here comes the hard part — oof! This is a killer slope. Gonna have to hard scramble up it on all fours at some point.

Another round and I'm over the crest. Dust, pain, sweat. Can't think, everyone I know is in danger! I'm coming, my friends!
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on September 29, 2014, 10:00:36 PM
Alric Scrambles up the slope crawling when needed.

Please don't let this go wrong, please spirits above!
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on September 30, 2014, 10:16:48 PM
OoC: Personality Trait: I see omens in every event and action. The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen
Ideal: Faith. I trust that my deity will guide my actions. I have faith that if I work hard, things will go well. (Lawful)


Karni, her hair now sweated to her face and lines of dirt smeared, falls to her knees, she removes her vambraces and takes her knife, beginning to savagely cut her arms. "Spider Woman, as the dew in your web are the stars in the sky, let my blood on the earth purify this evil place and drive out the demonic spirits! Let me die before I take another step in this foul land of evil!" As her blood running down her arms flecks the ground around her.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 01, 2014, 09:55:24 PM
Near the Sharp Slope towards the NE corner of the New Graveyard

still inside 11:46 AM

Karnath

You rip off your wrist armor, pull out your dagger, all while your legs are pumping, ever closer to the edge you see coming. It is a struggle as it takes twice the concentration to do previously trivial bodily actions — you must be fighting with Evil Itself. Throwing yourself fully into the command, you drop upon your knees, skidding so close to the slope edge (around 10' away), and start the sacred blood drawing so well understood among your people.

Stabbing at your wrists you implore your Goddess, "Spider Woman, as the dew in your web are the stars in the sky, let my blood on the earth purify this evil place and drive out the demonic spirits! Let me die before I take another step in this foul land of evil!"

{Woah, woah! Hey! I'm no demon! Holy shit, what're you doing?!}

Karnath, 2 damage, blood flecks around you.

{Oh my god there's so much blood! You're crazy! You're crazy! You're stabbing yourself! You'd probably stab my family to death, you monster!}

Karnath, 2 damage, it begins to pool by your knees, you are splattered about in the sacred spray. Cleansed, be cleansed!

{Aah! Crazy murder woman! I gotta warn my brother! I gotta warn my family! Aaahhh!...}

Your head is starting to clear, you can now focus better. You look up just in time to notice a panicked Alric has crested that slope to stare at you in sheer abject terror.
----------------

Bright Feather

This is it, now or never. Break out the Short Bow and notch an arrow, moving and taking aim with what precious seconds are left. To shoot a friend to save her life...

Her arm armor is strewn from her, she draws a dagger?, drops to her knees just before the edge, and — starts slashing at herself!, calling out in anguish.

.... Ancestral Bear, protect us. What am I seeing? She is no longer hurtling herself to that edge, but can she take another wound? Can I still shoot the evil out of her? This possession will be the end of her!

What Intimidating threat can shake the hold of this? Your mouth dries at the thought of speech. (Bright Feather, I shall insert either your silence or intimidation threat here. Let me know what you want to say.)

Another 180' to reach Karnath (190' to the slope), a disadvantaged shot to be sure. Alric? He stands before her, arising from the slope — in the line of sight! Now what to do?
-------------

Hanalee

Hanalee, 4 damage, your body aches from the scrapes and bruises.

{You fool! Ruined the chance to prove who's best. Ruined!}

Groggy, you lay upon the ground feeling a sense of clarity bubble up within. With that clarity comes a greater awareness of the pain you just put yourself through.

{They're better than us. They beat us! And instead of fighting back, instead of showing them a winner, you quitted. Quitted! Quitter!}

Slowly your body is returning to you, by next round you should feel in control again. Ow... Don't feel like celebrating yet, but you've endured worse.

{Loser! You are a loser! You will always be a loser!...}

Voice fading away, good. Mmm, ground is comfy. Body aches.
------------

Caden

Jogging another 40' closer, as you did the last two rounds, so you are now 280' to the sharp slope, no longer winded and ready for action. Bright Feather is a mere 90' away, Hanalee further, and so on.

What the... What is going on? Before you thought it couldn't get any weirder. Yet now Karnath threw herself onto the ground and is crying. Feint visual as she's farther away, but she seems to have drawn her dagger?, and is slashing at herself? What the fuck?!

Hanalee is still crumpled on the ground. And Bright Feather is drawing a bow on Karnath? She has no talent for threats, what does she think she's doing? And there's Alric!, facing down Bright Feather pointing an arrow in both Karnath's and Alric's direction! Oh, this can get uglier, fast.

Your ribs are still sore from all this running... but it looks like you might have to do something here.
--------------

Alric

Scrambling up the last 40' of the slope at a speed you didn't think you had in you, lungs burning, head pounding with blood, rising panic in your throat. Alone! Alone! Everyone attacked and alone! You catch pieces of horrible oaths between heartbeats as you reach the top. You crest to a nightmare, stopping you flat.

Dear spirits above, where am I, and what has befallen my friends?

Hanalee is down and dusted up, seemingly still — you don't know if she's even alive anymore.

Caden is far off and nursing his side, trying to close the distance. Was he too late? Attacked?

Bright Feather is with bow drawn, aiming dead at you — well, you right after Karnath. Where's the enemy? Are we the enemy? Is she now the enemy?

And Karnath, like info your brain rejects until the last what it least wants to believe, kneels before you spattered in blood, it pooling small by her knees. Her wrists, exposed, are all bloody, a dagger in her hand; she has been in a fight for her life. At your eye level you see imploring desperation and relief as she stares at you, like coming to from a nightmare. A nightmare.

Have my friends befallen my friends? Where am I? Who can I trust? Without them or Mal, I am alone. Alone.
-----------

Let me know what you do! :cheerleader:
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on October 02, 2014, 10:05:27 AM
Bright Feather arrow nocked will stand impassively studying Karnath.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 02, 2014, 10:21:01 AM
Like many times during a hunt, standing alone waiting for the moment to strike. Alric will take a deep breath and read everything he can in the situation he does not clearly understand. No enemies are visible perhaps something unseen, he hunts for swirls of dust gathering around the invisible. Something must be attacking his friends but what?


Alric would assume it is something physical not Metaphysical
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on October 02, 2014, 01:41:15 PM
Karni, like her love, lays bleeding in the dirt.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 02, 2014, 06:28:58 PM
So far:

Bright Feather - standing Ready watching Karnath (is there a trigger you want here?)

Alric - stays still and makes an active Perception check for hidden physical threats (go ahead and roll it).

Karnath - waxes poetic introspectively

Caden - ?

Hanalee - ?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 02, 2014, 07:25:08 PM
Alric has focused to see everything he can.


Natural 20 +4 for 24
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 02, 2014, 08:18:03 PM
Quote from: Artifacts of Amber;789795
Alric has focused to see everything he can.


Natural 20 +4 for 24


You see thru time itself! O_o
j/k

Need a moment to receive Caden & Hanalee's action...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on October 02, 2014, 09:48:57 PM
That's what you wanted, right?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 02, 2014, 11:12:16 PM
Hanalee struggles to move her battered body, and attempts to stand and limp away from the graveyard if she can. As far away as she can...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 03, 2014, 10:45:45 AM
Quote from: dragoner;789821
That's what you wanted, right?


OOC: Are you calling this out to your Goddess?

It is obvious Alric is very concerned, looking about for danger.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on October 03, 2014, 11:04:39 AM
If Karnath is no longer struggling against herself Bright Feather will attempt to bandage her and stabilize her if needed.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on October 03, 2014, 11:55:06 AM
Quote from: Marleycat;789901
If Karnath is no longer struggling against herself Bright Feather will attempt to bandage her and stabilize her if needed.


Karni will slowly come to in a dazedly fashion as  Bright Feather binds her wounds.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 04, 2014, 07:08:47 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;789831
Hanalee struggles to move her battered body, and attempts to stand and limp away from the graveyard if she can. As far away as she can...


Which way? Back West to the Main Trail, East down mountain, or North to the Old Graveyard? (You can go South but you'll just be visiting the expanding Eastern perimeter of the New Graveyard.)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 04, 2014, 07:12:06 AM
Quote from: Artifacts of Amber;789795
Alric has focused to see everything he can.


Natural 20 +4 for 24

There is nothing! If it is an invisible physical monster there's no trace of rustled dust, nearby unexplainable footprints, strange 6th party sounds, or anything. Something crazy happened, but something crazy happened within your circle of friends alone.

And now Bright Feather puts away her bow and attends to Karnath's wounds. Hanalee, she's alive!, is wincing away to the nearest exit from this scene. Caden is currently saying nothing.

This leaves you with uncomfortable questions...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 04, 2014, 02:05:07 PM
After having given finding an enemy his bets shot (Literally) Alric looks to his new found friends.

"Hey Guys what the hell is going on? Did you get got, by what got Mal?"

"Shit Mal." Alric looks back down the hill for Mal, even though he knows he cannot see him from here but hopes since whatever was effecting his friends has ended perhaps Mal will just be trotting up the trail now.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 04, 2014, 03:12:55 PM
Alric is high enough to see his friend Mal, if he left him out in the open. Hundred foot slope is still at a 40+ degree angle, so perhaps 60' high and then another @100' to your last spot. If you hid him, well, you'd be fighting against your own Stealth work. But it'd be easy for you, and with Adv, as you know where to look.

However it would be easier to just bring your friends on down to Mal and help. (Though lingering at your hunting blind does not seem to be the crowd favorite choice anymore.)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 04, 2014, 04:18:13 PM
If only he had time to Hide Mal. Seeing him sit so still out in the open like that. Still I can keep one eye on him and ready my bow if it is needed.

His friends would help or friends they were not. But still priorities. Gotta find the trail before you can kill the deer.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 05, 2014, 01:56:12 AM
OOC: You all feel "not in combat rounds now." The sense of last scene's imminent danger seems to have passed. (Trust that as you will. A healthy paranoia after that is not unwarranted.) You are welcome to resolve your other pressing issues between yourselves. You don't need me to orchestrate this part.

Let me know what you are doing, otherwise we'll continue with the rest. We'll just then leave your inactive PC repeating their last action. I'll flavor the scene as you act simultaneously to keep a shared chronological & spatial record.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on October 05, 2014, 10:14:32 AM
Caden is still utterly bewildered by the scene before him. "What in all the hells is going on here! There is some sort of madness in this place, best we start moving out." He is directing this toward the group as a whole.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 06, 2014, 07:19:26 PM
Mal, motionless & staring off in fear, waits in loving trust of his master...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 06, 2014, 07:40:20 PM
Alric shouts. "Is everyone okay"

Then thinks a moment "Or at least gonna be okay"

He waits just a moment for an answer before he heads back toward Mal to see how he is doing.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 06, 2014, 08:43:00 PM
Hanalee hobbles towards Alric. "Nothing a stiff drink won't fix," she groans. "What the heck happened? Er...maybe I don't want to know..."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 06, 2014, 10:15:54 PM
Alric reaches out to help Hanalee as he can, Between his small frame and somewhat weak nature the best he can do is perhaps help her keep her balance.

"Mal was taken like the rest of you. I hope he's ok."

"what happened?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 07, 2014, 05:46:09 AM
Open Space Between Downtown New Graveyard and Escarpment

11:47 AM

It's a hot sunny day. A merciful breeze caresses on by, cooling but short. Peaceful, the contrasting quiet is, considering your distance from lively Downtown. Surreal, considering the past hour of activity.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 07, 2014, 05:51:56 PM
OOC: So, bad GM, I didn't RAW the Detect Magic duration (it's 10 whole minutes!) let alone the description during that time. Karnath needs to pass 2 Concentration checks at DC 10 to maintain her Detect Magic. Naturally at any time Concentration (and thus the spell) can be released without an action. Though rode by a rider, the rider did not release spell concentration or cast another spell with concentration.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on October 08, 2014, 12:48:25 AM
I'm pretty sure being possessed by a demon would break her concentration.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 08, 2014, 07:46:15 AM
Quote from: dragoner;790809
I'm pretty sure being possessed by a demon would break her concentration.


OOC: And Karnath's impression would be wrong! (Though she's not exactly sure why...) :)

If you want, we can just say Karnath willfully stopped concentrating on the spell to "marshal her strength in a supreme effort of will to fight for her immortal soul!" /massive Socialist Realism painting in the background
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on October 08, 2014, 09:57:15 AM
Because the clergy was represented so well in those. Moving along ...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 08, 2014, 10:00:55 AM
OOC don't want to have a big discussion mid thread but the Basic rules also say

The DM might also decide that certain environmental
phenomena, such as a wave crashing over you while
you’re on a storm-tossed ship, require you to succeed
on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw to maintain
concentration on a spell

So you might have required one, not that it matters at this point :)




Alric will continue with his task, Help Hana as much as he can (Not much) and then head for Mal.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on October 08, 2014, 11:08:27 AM
OOC: It's basically DC 15 plus half whatever damage you may take so Karnath should have maintained concentration pretty easily.

Bright Feather frowns.."I am not going back into that evil land there are spirits of malicious intent that we are not equipped to fight as you see"...giving everybody a long look.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on October 08, 2014, 11:55:44 AM
ooc: I'm not seeing the point of rolling the dice.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 09, 2014, 12:32:18 AM
OOC: It's DC 10 or 1/2 damage, whichever is greater. And it wasn't environmental phenomena either. :)

But it seems like Karnath was not interested in maintaining her Detect Magic as she felt she had more pressing things to worry about. Tah-dah! All done!

So, what are you all doing?

Namely Caden, Hanalee, & Karnath. Alric & Bright Feather are already stating intentions and actions.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 09, 2014, 01:34:30 AM
"I'm with her," she says, nodding towards Bright Feather yet pointedly avoiding direct eye contact. How can she even face these women again, after the intensely negative thoughts she just thought about them?

"That is...I don't think we're equipped to deal with...whatever this was." She rubs her bruised arms gently as she continues. "We can press on to the older graveyard, but I dunno if we're all feeling up to it. Maybe ask around in town about this new graveyard...if anyone knows anything..."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 09, 2014, 02:05:15 AM
OOC: So Alric is heading back to Mal after explaining his own emergency. The same emergency Caden was trying to tell the women about, before the incident.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 09, 2014, 08:30:50 AM
ooc - Yep



"I know things seem to be bad up here but something got Mal as well. Not sure with animals what would happen. He just froze up like he was scared near to death" He looks around sort of shouting so everyone can hear, spread out as we are. " So what did happen. I didn't see anything that made a lick of sense."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on October 09, 2014, 10:30:07 AM
Karni will follow what the others are doing.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 09, 2014, 01:51:26 PM
Hanalee accompanies Alric to check on poor Mal. "It was strange...I had this feeling like I wasn't myself. Thoughts that weren't mine, like Feather and Karnath were out to get me." She shakes her head and kicks the dirt.

"Never felt that way before, and never want to again!"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 11, 2014, 03:20:13 AM
Base of the Sharp Slope, East & down-mountain of the New Graveyard. The Forgotten Claim Terrace

11:50 AM

OOC: I am assuming this party has been following Alric to help his friend Mal down the slope. If you are not, let me know ASAP.

Going down the sharp slope you all take it nice and slow, and even still there's a few heart-skipping skids. No one hurt, but definitely difficult terrain. Caden & Alric would feel astonishment at how fast they cleared this at such speed. Among Hanalee & Karnath, an unnerving thought of this slope and that race passes.

A notion that one is heading down and away from civilization pervades, the nature here seems less molested. Feels you're not just beyond the fringes of a cemetery, but on a bucolic, forgotten ledge of nature, just down-mountain. It seems a narrower ridge, averaging 100'~150', not immediately visibly connected to any more easy down-mountain access.

'Isolated' is a word that comes to mind.

Oh my, there's poor loyal Mal! Eyes wide open, small bits of froth as the animal is visibly breathing partially through its mouth, as from hyperventilation from fear or shock. Stiff as can be, not even a flinch or whimper as his master Alric returns. Bits of brush, and the pair of bone debris Alric collected, are nearby — the scene is heartbreaking.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 11, 2014, 02:17:26 PM
Alric strokes Mal's fur not sure what he can do to help. "What could it be?"

Rolled animal handling with a mighty 2 + 4 so 6. So I know diddly :)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 12, 2014, 12:44:55 AM
Alric

Mal's breathing calms, a shade so subtle only a long relationship like yours can tell. Your presence must comfort him amid his sheer panic. He's not alone.

Rest of Party

It's heartbreaking, your friend petting his dog who looks like in the last frightful stages of something just horrible. Rabies? Lockjaw? No, doesn't look like those familiar horrible diseases...

OOC: What does anyone do?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 12, 2014, 12:57:07 PM
Alric nods his head in prayer as he continues petting Mal. Not sure what to do but beseech the great spirits to intervene
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 12, 2014, 04:42:38 PM
Hanalee is deeply affected seeing the dog lying so still and scared. She pats him on the shoulder gently and examines him, trying to remember what she did when her old master's dog would have seizures...what could the problem be?

(OOC: Rolled 13 total for Animal Handling, 12+1 from Hana's background)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 13, 2014, 02:13:30 AM
Karnath

OOC: Your Medicine is just so high, it is obvious passively.
That larger bone next to Mal is a fragment of a human forearm bone. It's unmistakeable, even from here. What in the name of the celestial order is Alric and his dog doing with that?
--------------

Hanalee

Mal blows out his exhalation through his mouth a bit slower. Dogs don't normally breathe all that easily through their mouth, so it usually looks alarming. But Mal seems to be less panicked, which is good sign because you've seen humans and animals die from shock.

However, that's no seizure you've seen, that's outright stiff like a corpse! If it wasn't for the breathing... And it ain't rabies, or lockjaw; seen those horrible things, too.

This is beyond relating to the animal and calming it down. Someone knowledgeable about Nature or Medicine is necessary. You're wracking your brain about any local history stories that might even relate.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on October 13, 2014, 10:22:02 PM
Bright Feather breaks out of her contentment...."Karni that bone doesn't look like it came from any animal what say you? C'mon Karni medicine isn't my thing but observation is"!
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on October 14, 2014, 12:11:14 AM
Quote from: Marleycat;791881
Bright Feather breaks out of her contentment...."Karni that bone doesn't look like it came from any animal what say you? C'mon Karni medicine isn't my thing but observation is"!


Karni, drained, all cut up, squints at the bone, "uh, what do you think it's from?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 14, 2014, 09:13:25 AM
OOC: kee-rist, some of you have crazy high skills.

Bright Feather

That smaller bone, a fragment really, has been cut & shaped. And twined with a lone strand of hair, and rubbed with not completely random blotches of blood, how unnerving. It's not that it is noticeable detail from here to the untrained eye, but you can recognize worked bone for Arcane purposes.

That's a charm of some sort, a fetish — perhaps a consumable spell charge? Yet what did it store? And why in the bosom of Mother Bear's hibernation den would Alric have something like that?

You haven't taken him to be the type to dabble in the arcane. Historically and religiously you know body part components, like bone, blood, and hair, are powerful magical foci — and often morally dangerous. Alric seemed more upstanding than that. What is he trying to pull, or how ignorant is he of what he's leaving in plain sight?
---------

Caden

You've rather bonded with your little buddy over such a short while. Eats at you that you don't have much of a plan besides getting the rest of the group and hope they figure something out. You prefer being more prepared than this.

So, well, here you are. Waiting. Hmm. But after the craziness of the recent past, how much do you feel you can nudge your friends into doing something, anything, that might help?
----------

Karnath

You likely still feel raw and exposed. Might be woozy from the recent sacred bloodletting, too. Additional surprises, like that human bone chew toy, is really not helping you calm down and bond with your teammates. A calming moment of clarity would be nice.

Is someone or something out there taking advantage of poor, faithful Karnath? Great Goddess will provide, but is this a string of more tests, hidden with meaning? Or must be under the oppressive reach of the foul and mysterious underworld...
-----------

Hanalee

Oh, hey! Strange tracks around that nearby bush. Wonder if Alric already saw it. Something scurried around, went inside, then never came back out. Other different animal tracks did the same thing. But looking at it now it is as peaceful and as empty as can be, and it should be obviously full of critters. What a mystery!
------------

Alric

Ah, Hanalee is looking at that bush, the one which Mal made a fool out of you. It was interesting, but you were rather focused on waiting like a good hunter, so you didn't make much sense of it last time. Maybe you could have Hanalee give you a fresh perspective helping to make sense of it.

Or you could relate that funny story of Mal & that bush, now in retrospect as your buddy is in such distress. Things are a bit of a downer now. That tale might cheer all of you up in this maybe.... your last... shared moments.

Goodness, there's a lump in your throat. Telling that story might expose your heart on your sleeve to your new friends a little more than you're ready. Just hope your voice doesn't crack. Maybe it is too soon for story time.
:(

What do you all do? Any priorities? Time will keep on ticking.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 14, 2014, 01:15:58 PM
Alric noticing the attention everyone is giving to various things nearby thinks, he must have faith in his friends. Still stroking Mal to help in anyway it might.

"When you left to take the girl and child I came down looking for what might have caused her "illness". Mal snarled at that plant there and having heard legends and night fire tales of living plants I hacked the hell out of it." Alric gets quiet, a blush crossing his face "Embarrassing as hell standing there like a simpleton, sword in my hand, Plant defeated."

"Then we came further down here where I found the den I was watching. The bone came from there. I think Mal gnawed on it and spit it out. I think whatever it is, is in the den. And I sure as hell was not going in alone."

"Looks like animal trails disappeared into the plant."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 15, 2014, 09:05:06 PM
OOC: At this point I expect you to talk amongst yourselves to figure out something to do. I'll wait. Picking up Mal and walking away together is also an option...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on October 16, 2014, 05:27:23 PM
Bright Feather picks up the bone and stows it in her  backpack..."I think we should consider taking Mal back to the healers"...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 16, 2014, 07:00:58 PM
Hanalee gently pats Mal on the head and rises. "Yes--I agree. Let's take him to the healers...we've already seen how they work. I trust they can find a way to help Mal."

She looks encouragingly at Alric. "He'll be okay," she assures him.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 17, 2014, 12:09:51 PM
"Yeah! Ok" Alric gets up and grabs supplies as he did before to craft a stretcher, realizing his canvas is now used up but not really caring.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 18, 2014, 03:28:50 AM
OOC: Is Bright Feather picking up only the small bone fragment that she knows is an arcane bone fetish? Leave the plain looking larger chewed bone alone at the location?

GM doesn't know if any of Alric's allies brought back the make-shift litter, but assuming not due to the flurry of action at the Elder's Place.

No need to role for making a new litter, just take one minute to make a new litter. Who will help carry Mal? Is Alric big enough to hoist his big dog for over a mile and a half? How fast do you want to go?

Resolve this plan amongst yourselves. Ask me when you need clarification, or decide to search or use skills for other things.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 18, 2014, 09:32:43 AM
Having a special affection for the pooch, Hanalee offers to help Alric carry Mal.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on October 18, 2014, 11:35:18 AM
Karni needs a short rest to regain her hit points.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 18, 2014, 11:49:34 AM
Alric is more than willing though he knows the travel will be difficult. He will gladly accept Hanalee's aid and hope someone else volunteers but is going to take Mal to help in any case. If Brightfeather indicates the Bone is important he will take it with him.

"come lets go"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on October 18, 2014, 02:14:24 PM
Bright Feather will investigate the larger bone for a minute or two to glean whatever information would be possibly useful to decide if it's worth taking back also.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 18, 2014, 09:16:46 PM
Forgotten Claim Terrace, base of sharp slope, by mystery bush

11:52 AM

Almost Everybody

Alric further destroys the remains of his canvas to make another litter for his beloved pal Mal.
Hanalee offers to assist Alric in carrying Mal to the town's healers.
Karnath expresses interest in taking a short rest very soon. Perhaps go to lunch after this?
Caden keeps an eye out for danger coming along either side on this terrace.

Bright Feather takes the minute it takes Alric to make a new litter to investigate that second, larger bone. After listening to Alric's explanation it logically must be important because Mal reacted weird to just a mere bone, and it was the last thing Alric noticed Mal interacted with. You can see a bit of saliva moisture left on it, unlike the small bone fetish, so it verifies his story.

However, you cannot make further sense of it. 'Dangerous chew toys' is not within the untrained Nature lore you know about. Survival, or Medicine especially, might diagnose if this is a cause for a weird disease. You may take an action to Investigate (roll), but you have a sinking suspicious you're groping blind, and that will take more time after Alric will be done.

Everyone Here

You are now all prepared to take Mal out of here. Depending on Bright Feather's choice, you might be free to leave now.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 18, 2014, 10:18:40 PM
Alric is struggling with the litter with Hana's help and headed for town.

"Bright feather, Could you bring the bone. I don't know nothin' about it but elders might"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on October 18, 2014, 11:46:36 PM
"I'll help carry Mal if needed" Caden pipes in glad to see something that he feels like he can help with.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 19, 2014, 01:42:19 AM
OOC: Aww! Friends! So who wants to get the 2nd bone, the long chew toy one? And anything else before heading on out?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 19, 2014, 10:16:07 AM
Alric was almost holding his breath hoping Caden would volunteer.

"I'll get the bone." Alric makes sure he has his gloves on and with a stick nudges it into a small remnant of the canvas and folds it up not touching it.

And off we head, he hopes.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 19, 2014, 05:04:35 PM
OOC: OK! Any last requests before you all head out as a group? And have you thought of a name for this party group? You've built a bit of a personal family of late...

edit: we continue
----------------------

Between Downtown New Graveyard & Sharp Slope to Forgotten Claim

11:55 AM

Almost Everyone

That slope is an utter pain with a litter! Caden & Hanalee were kind enough to support Mal's litter up this 40+ grade slope, but the challenges really surprise. Scrambling up requires leaning in and just about crawling on all fours as if a wall; with objects this gets harder, more so with something that needs to stay mostly level. If this was a humanoid bleeding or broken, who couldn't be dropped from the litter without risking ruining stabilization, the delay would be incredible. This is good practice, but the fighters in the party (along with those with Medicine and/or Investigation) realize this is a dangerous obstacle for an expeditious retreat.

An uncomfortable realization of how much of an isolated death trap that terrace could be crosses everyone's mind.

Together you reach the sharp slope's crest with relief. You take it easy together now as that was a difficult leg, and well, more is along the way. Ahead of you comes the Downtown New Graveyard... the temptation to take that at a Fast pace communicates itself by body language among the group.

OOC: You took the terrace and slope at a Slow rate, the slope being difficult terrain, first minute 120'+50'. Finishing up the slope & taking a breather pace atop, again Slow, second minute 50'+100'. You move at a Normal rate to reach the DT New Graveyard, third minute 300'.

You are now at the very edge of the DT New Graveyard. I assume you are talking to each other along the way up to this point. Resolve among yourselves now how you want to proceed through this place (Slow, Normal, Fast, sprint! + stat checks), and any other things you may want to do while still here.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 20, 2014, 10:28:46 AM
Alric though filled with a sense of urgency knows that as long as Mal is not getting worse, he would prefer everyone move at a safe pace. Who knows what deviltry we will have to deal with later. Today has already proven to be a bit much with only two days into our meeting and friendship.

"Lets be careful, He's stable, Be safe" Though you can hear an urgency in his voice, barely contained.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 20, 2014, 11:58:28 AM
"Right," Hanalee agrees, eyeing the new graveyard suspiciously. "Just go as we normally would, no one rush..."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 21, 2014, 03:56:27 PM
Downtown New Graveyard

11:56 AM

Almost Everyone

As you pass by this notorious graveyard, a general sense of reluctance pervades. But steeling your nerves you do not let panic override you. Your hypersensitivity to this place leaves you noticing the voices in your head a bit more clearly. But even that is fading fast as your bodies have been adjusting to the rush from mortal danger.

Karnath {Oh, you came back. Maybe next time you'll welcome a romp in the bordellos instead...}

Hanalee {Here comes the loser! Would rather keep fake friends than win...}

Bright Feather {Like a waddling idiot family of opossum, and you as the mom with the children riding your back...

Caden {You're gonna die! Your betrayed "friend" from that job will be the last face you'll see this month...

Alric {Your dog'll be mine...}

Almost Everyone

You notice that Mal starts to visibly relax & lick his lips. However relief does not last long, as you hear Mal growl and groggily turn to face the graveyard, back hair bristling. He alternates between licking his lips and shivering, as if from recovering from a bad flu, and growling at some unseen other.

Alric {Here doggie, doggie! See?, a nice juicy bone for you. Don't you want it?}

Mal flinches and jerks on the stretcher, growling and biting out at the empty air, just as you finish crossing into the Main Trail. He starts whimpering and looking for Alric for comfort. He's been through an ordeal, but it's over right? You have your buddy back, right?

OOC: I'm assuming you all continue at a normal pace back to the boomtown?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 21, 2014, 10:06:35 PM
Indeed
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 22, 2014, 07:22:00 PM
11:25 AM

Almost Everyone

Passing by the Downtown New Graveyard along the moderately busy Main Trail (being midday and all), the contrast between starts to settle in. You pass by some miners, obviously returning to claims or the next camp, several of them looking at your group. You make quite the scene: banged & dusted up Hanalee carrying with Caden a dog on a litter; a halfling, Alric, scrambling to keep pace with this dog; a priestess, Karnath, covered in flecks of blood and drying blood on her hands; and an as you please wood elf, Bright Feather, besides them all.

Several of the miners do a double take because, well, a dog on a litter and blood flecked with blood-covered hands priestess is just weird. Some give a compassionate 'awww...' as they get a better look at Mal. Others look as if something weird transpired between the priestess & the dog — at a guess Easterners who don't cop to foreign religions and mistreating loyal dogs. Mal is soaking up the attention for all its worth, feigning even greater agonies as far as he's able on the litter, flicking out his tongue in kisses and blinking his eyes for sympathy.

Unless you otherwise agitate the onlookers (i.e. dare them to say something), your party's unusual yet somber composition will encourage them to leave well enough alone. OOC: Let me know if you decide to do something "dynamic!", like assault a pedestrian or whack at a hornet's nest. I'm assuming sensible, cautious play at the moment. But we all know what happens when we assume... :p

You may return essentially unmolested to uptown, where the Elder's Place & Geraldine's are. The ritual is still going on, however things are looking grim... An obvious read of the situation is that now may not be the best time for pressing questions.

Hanalee, as a local, you sense another crescendo coming. This one seems critical. Actual crying is going on among this Shoshone community. A woozy sense of being sucked in to the ritual passes again through you, though your pain and tiredness can help you fight it.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on October 23, 2014, 11:41:19 AM
Bright Feather suggests a short rest would be in order for those in need (Karnath) then mentions... "while Mal is tended to I have a question or two maybe the elders can answer"... striding off.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 23, 2014, 01:25:59 PM
"If they are still working on the young woman, I don't think Mal will rate much attention"

Alric sits and runs his hands over Mal comforting him as he can. "Them Elders don't know me from nothin' Can someone go talk to them for me"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 25, 2014, 02:07:53 PM
OOC: I am assuming you all are relaxing by Geraldine's porch, at the very least, if not some of you inside. I also assume you are still discussing what to do and will not interfere until you tell me what you do. The crowd around the Elder's Place is huge as obviously the Shoshone community is gathering over a possible tragedy. The ritual is still going on.

Basic tact would inform just about everyone that 'now is not the time' for other inquiries. Background knowledge I thought I should share.

"Damn, bank's closed early today..."

"Someone caught a cold this time?"

/elbowed in side by woman he is escorting, "Lenny, that's just terrible. Someone could be really hurt!"

"Aw hell, why do we have to put up with their backward ways? People have things to do. Mixing banking and politics and clinic all in one spot is just dumb."

"Lenny's right, ma'am. They may have the power by numbers, but they're delaying the silver, and progress!"

"No heart at all, you two. They've welcomed us and left us mostly to our own ways in things..."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on October 25, 2014, 07:44:00 PM
Hanalee feels the familiar swell of emotion as she hears the ritual reach its height. At the same time, she hears Alric entreat his fellows to help get the Elders' attention. Hanalee decides to throw herself into both impulses, and rushes towards the ritual.

Throwing herself to her knees, she thrusts her arms into the air. "Please! I bring you another who needs your aid!" she tells the Shoshone, unsure if they quite get her meaning. She points back towards Mal and Almost Everyone.

Prostrating herself before the group, she takes up the ritual once again, joining the choir of wailing. It feels different than the first time, more natural, at least slightly...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on October 26, 2014, 08:46:04 PM
Karnath, will try to get a short rest when she can. Otherwise, hearing the commotion, she whispers under her breath, "accursed place."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 27, 2014, 01:12:17 AM
OOC: Anyone else Short Rest for lunch at Geraldine's, or another nearby upscale tavern/luncheon hall?

12:05 PM

Elder's Place

Hanalee

Several look back to you and then to Almost Everyone and Mal. Some look confused, others slightly insulted, however several mothers in the outskirts ring welcome you. By seemingly eye and head gestures alone, none interrupting the singing ritual with words, the info is relayed deeper into the gathering.

As you are on your knees a few women join to hug you, singing and sobbing, caressing your head like a lost babe and clutching you to their chests alternately. You see an acolyte leave from the building and cross past you towards Geraldine's, you are guessing to see to your friend. It all feels like a sense of coming home, and then the crescendo comes stabbing through your heart with exquisite loving agony.

A knowing comes over you: her life rides on this, she must answer Brother Snake faithfully now or travel with Him to learn better.

Bright Feather

Crossing the street you reach the ritual's outer rim, where the community is outside the building pauses singing for the crescendo. You pass Hanalee obviously beside herself with emotion of the whole event. Several weeping women try to console her, but merely join in a shared sob.

An older Shoshone woman guards the front, stopping your entrance with merely a look and hand gesture and then returning her gaze to the snakebite victim. A piercing cry, an indescribable "discordant harmony" of the elders and a sprinkling of truly talented acolytes, seizes your very heart, leaving you breathless. (Roll better of CON or WIS save to resist being temporarily stunned, 1 round) The grandmother guarding the door closes her eyes and looks up in relief, then turns to you (giving you a round to collect yourself if needed).

Leaning in to speak softly, in a soft voice she asks, "First water, we barely avoided a funeral ceremony now. May we all succeed until Brother Snake's questioning passes. We are still occupied and of limited help, but what is it you need?"
----------------

Geraldine's

Alric (and Caden?)

A Shoshone acolyte tears himself away from the ritual and comes deliberately for you. He seems older than his years, young face but tired yet smiling eyes — a bit of a limp as well. Coming up to you and Mal, he looks at you both one at a time and then asks, "Your friend is beside herself with concern. I come to help, even though we are currently stretched. Let me listen and see what we can do. Who here is in mortal danger?"

Karnath

Coming into the place you have a few places still open to eat. There's a few spots at the bar, one table left (but you seem to have no one really with you yet for lunch), and there's one private conference room with both doors thrown open for the large crowd today and a lone booth free. A dwarf with a bartender's apron passes by you and asks, "Need rest? Bar, table, or booth?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 27, 2014, 10:51:59 AM
"It's Mal" Alric gesture to the Mastiff. "He has an affliction of the spirit. He bit on this bone then became frozen in fear, At least I think he did." Alric will draw forth the bone wrapped in his remaining canvas. "Our friend, Bright feather thought it was different"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on October 27, 2014, 01:05:23 PM
Karnath goes into a bar?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on October 27, 2014, 04:37:25 PM
Geraldine's Porch

Alric (Caden?)

The acolyte's eyes squint with confusion and curiosity at your explanation. Taking a look at the bone as you unwrap it, he makes no move to touch it but moves his head around it for inspection. His eyes go wide from recognition, then straight at Alric with great severity.

"Creator, preserve us. Why does your animal have a human arm bone to chew? Exactly where have you been?"
-----------

Geraldine's

Karnath

Grabbing one of the few seats left at the bar, you rub elbows with a miner and a trapper. They eye you uncomfortably as you disarm, propping your shield and weapons belt between your stool and the bar. You look to them like you've seen something serious, as you can easily recognize from their now slower pace of eating lunch and uncomfortable avoiding looks.

"Whiskey shot to start?" the same bartender dwarf asks, as he passes by to unload a bucket of dishes at the nearest bar-to-kitchens entrance.

He's starting to come back. Anything in mind for lunch or drink?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on October 27, 2014, 04:51:01 PM
"Just beyond the new Graveyard. There is something dark brewing there. As soon as Mal is better we may take another look. Something was talkin in our heads.  Evil Spirits!" Alric says in a rush.

"How is the Woman, mother?" He gestures toward the ritual.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on October 27, 2014, 10:11:38 PM
Caden nods in agreement with Alric, "There is something foul going on out there" he tells the acolyte.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on November 02, 2014, 12:08:24 AM
At first opportunity, Hanalee pulls herself away from the ritual and rejoins Almost Everyone (Caden, Alric, and Bright Feather).

"Where did Karnath go?" she asks wearily.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on November 02, 2014, 01:12:58 AM
"Karnath" Alric looks around. "Bar I think"

"What can we do to help him Sir" Alric says to the acolyte.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on November 02, 2014, 06:17:41 AM
Hanalee grunts, and walks off towards Geraldine's looking for Karnath...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on November 05, 2014, 06:59:13 PM
Hanalee finally reaches the bar, and stands next to Karnath. She gives her ally a silent nod of greeting, then calls to the dwarf. "Iodar!" she says with forced enthusiasm. "Get me something to drink...anything. I need to go numb for a while..."

She sighs and sits down. "Helluva day, huh?" she says to Karnath.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on November 06, 2014, 10:54:51 AM
Karni nods, rather glassy eyed, and wondering why she is here.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on November 06, 2014, 05:00:51 PM
Uptown

still within quarter past noon. (between 12:00 and 12:15 pm)

Almost Everyone

The ritual continues by the Elder's Place. Bright Feather can be seen by the entrance, but only barely through the participating crowd of community. She seems to be having some questions answered and possibly will return shortly.

(Bright Feather, if you want, we can abstract a minor Q&A session. Anything particularly big will likely be roleplayed in a future meeting. However basic reporting and simple revelations can be handled OOC directly here.)
-----------------------

Alric & Caden

The seriousness continues, "Which new graveyard...?," looking back and forth between the two of you. "Please tell me you did not go there." His eyes go very big and he gestures unconsciously a sign of what must be assumed to be forbiddance.

"Are you not the group with the priestess of the People of the Sun and the traveling First Water? Have they not relayed to you the absolute danger of the place that shall not be named outside the sacred smoke circle? The one past the new graveyard nearest the less well made saloons, down mountain towards the forbidden terrace? Whatever more accursed items have you brought from there?"

A look of recognition that he has completely confused and frightened you both will cross his face. "I am sorry. I let myself be swayed to passion to keep the community safe. Say no more.

"I shall remain with you until we are ready to convene with the elders about this. Wherever you go today, I go, even if to adventure. And keep those such objects from there covered and hidden and away from your moist cavities and dead meat in general."
----------------

Hanalee & Karnath

Iodar turns to set up a shot for Hanalee, "Rough day. Usual two fingers of rye? Or a double shot for you and your friend here?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on November 06, 2014, 05:08:49 PM
Alric nods agreement and wraps the bone tighter in the canvas. "We will wait for the Elders."

He turns to Caden. "I appreciate you staying but go get some rest and a drink or two. We earned it today."

Alric pulls out his nice whiskey flask and takes a hit off of it sitting with Mal quietly while the town rumbles nearby.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on November 06, 2014, 05:28:32 PM
That's fine she only wants to know if they know if it was a particular tribe's fetish and it's possible purpose. And any info on ghosts related to the graveyard.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on November 07, 2014, 05:33:44 PM
Caden nods to Alric "I suppose it is time get off my feet. I'll be about if you need me".

Caden will find his way to one of the inns for a drink and a bite to eat.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on November 07, 2014, 08:46:37 PM
Uptown

still within quarter past noon. (12:00 - 12:15 am)

Bright Feather

As you try to comment about the bone fetish the grandmother gets very concerned, and will move to prevent you from revealing it so close to the ritual if necessary.

"No! She must not lose focus before Brother Snake's questioning," nodding back to the snakebite victim. She leads you out and away from the building and the ritual and then listens to your description, not letting you take out the fetish again.

"You say she was found by That New Graveyard, but the tracks led further down to a terrace? And that is where you found this fetish? May Her Web Hold the Children, this is grave news! The ritual might not be strong enough, or... worse.

"Return to your friends. We will need to speak to you all back at the Elder's Place later tonight. I shall have a young weaver stay by you just in case you have other places to visit. I must inform those inside to adjust the ritual, excuse me."

She passes by a young woman in the outside song ring and speaks rapidly. The young woman gasps and covers her mouth, then nods quickly, looks about, spots you then hurries to your side. The grandma then hurries inside and audible bustling goes on underneath the consistent ritual song.

"First Water? I shall be by you until tonight. Go freely and know that I watch for the community's safety. And yours as well." She pulls out exquisite, miniature baskets set inside each other, adjusts them knowingly, then re-pockets them under her wrap.
----------------

Alric

"He seems like he was, is, a loyal friend," the acolyte looks at Mal, then switches to Caden's back as he leaves you, and finally calmly straight ahead across the street to the continuing ritual.

Well that was deliberately ambiguous. Reminds you how treacherous conversation could be, especially with those trained in religion. You feel a tug towards the outdoors' simpler truths, now that you seem embroiled into more civilization than you anticipated.
----------------

Caden

(going to Geraldine's or another Uptown inn or tavern?)
----------------

Hanalee & Karnath

/two double shots of rye whiskey lined up for each of you.

Iodar walks off and tends to another customer. Doesn't even wait for the money. Probably because he knows Hanalee, and knows that she, and at least her family, is good for it.

"Hey girl! Looks like destiny booted you in the patookas. Need an ear, or you're good?" Georgette swings on by with a smile, cleaning off a glass. She's also not asking about the money, but you think you might be paying for it already.

Fontaine ends his jovial rag and switches to the treble tinkles and bass 'whomps' of a comical song. "Cow & Billy Goat Romp," if you remember correctly. Absolutely no coincidence at all, of course.

Ahh, your friends are supportive in that razzing, lovable way that makes you want to throttle them... lovingly, of course.

However, Karnath looks like if she starts throttling people in town now she may not stop so lovingly... You might be the only other person who could commiserate with her.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on November 07, 2014, 09:57:36 PM
Bright Feather gives an impassive look...putting the fetish back....."Thank you for listening to a young traveler like myself and trusting I will not speak of the danger my friends and I have found, a question for you... where is my friend the priestess of Spider?"....
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on November 08, 2014, 03:28:00 AM
Uptown

Bright Feather

The grandmother would give you a confused look as you ask about your friend, excuse herself due to the time sensitive nature of this information, and go back inside.

If and when you mention it to the young weaver maiden she too would look confused, but will look about in an eager attempt to help. She will ask for descriptions, as it seems like she may not have witnessed Karnath as of yet.

You will likely spot Alric with Mal first, on the porch of Geraldine's across the way on the other side of Main Street. He seems to be joined by a Shoshone youth acolyte of the type you've already seen inside the Elder's Place. Why isn't someone like that inside the building, or at the very least at the outer ring singing? Hmm...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on November 09, 2014, 04:03:46 AM
"Thanks," Hanalee tells Iodar, and throws back the first of the shots.

When Georgette passes, Hanalee forces a small grin. "I'm not okay, but...I will be," she says, raising her empty shot glass. "As long as Io keeps these coming...I'll forget my problems in no time at all."

She turns on her barstool to face Karnath. "So...the thing today. I wasn't myself, so anything I said or did I didn't mean. Something controlled us." Hanalee shudders suddenly. "Left a heck of an aftertaste though..."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on November 09, 2014, 03:43:04 PM
"Was, IS?" A note of panic to his voice.

"He'll be alright won't he?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on November 10, 2014, 12:56:07 AM
Bright Feather will go to Geraldine's in hopes that everyone else is there.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on November 10, 2014, 01:35:15 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;797400
"Thanks," Hanalee tells Iodar, and throws back the first of the shots.

When Georgette passes, Hanalee forces a small grin. "I'm not okay, but...I will be," she says, raising her empty shot glass. "As long as Io keeps these coming...I'll forget my problems in no time at all."

She turns on her barstool to face Karnath. "So...the thing today. I wasn't myself, so anything I said or did I didn't mean. Something controlled us." Hanalee shudders suddenly. "Left a heck of an aftertaste though..."


"I don't need this." Karni says sliding the shot to Hanalee, looking half dead, because frankly, she is half dead. "I don't really remember anything you said, I was fighting it out with my own demon."

She doesn't really understand what is happening with the other patrons, so she ignores them unless they look threatening.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on November 10, 2014, 06:01:58 AM
still within quarter past noon

Geraldine's Porch

Alric

Acolyte looks back at you, Alric, studies your face, then smiles. "I'm sure this one will be fine," he starts to scratch Mal behind the ears, looking at the dog, then you, then Mal again. "A hunter by trade, ah (eh)?" commenting upon your gear. "Long way over the mountains for a land poor with forest game. I hope you are not in it for the furs, as hares might be the best available during these hot months."

Looks at Mal lapping up the attention, "Ehh, dogwai'yu (that's enough)." He stops scratching Mal's ears. "Greedy for love this one. Quite normal, a good dog.

"Should be fine," he repeats.

You see Bright Feather come across the street towards Geraldine's... with a Shoshone young woman in tow.

"Ose (hello), sister," the acolyte says while nodding his head. An arched eyebrow lingers, questioning? A smile lingers, too.

"Behne (hello), brother," the young woman bows a reply, leaving her chin tucked in from possible shyness.

Both of you, Alric & Bright Feather, are free to exchange pleasantries and information where others went before disengaging here.
-------------------

'Another Respectable Uptown Establishment'

Caden

Oh, this place is just larded with Respectable Street... you stick out like a sore thumb. Several well beaded native patrons, women and men, size you up and down and roll their eyes. A few Easterners are here, too, fluffed to the gills with fine ruffled clothes, again both women and men, and similarly roll their eyes. Going to be hard to back out of here with grace.

Perhaps one quick shot and leave. The chatter tends to hush and then return as if you are a veritable bubble of silence as you enter deeper towards the bar. You can only really spot top shelf whiskey, amid other pricey spirits. Since you are not violent or belligerent, so far no one bothers you. Maybe you might here a good rumor or two if you linger, as well.

As you reach the bar, an Eastern dandy gives you the once over, then hails the bartender before you with a trifling gesture, who rapidly attends, "A 'Velvet Gauntlet', please."

"One well whiskey for a [silver piece] and a raspberry cordial chaser for two more [silver pieces], right away."
-----------------

Geraldine's

Hanalee & Karnath

"Where have they been?" "Who knows, but that one's got the stomach of a man, the way she hits those shots." "But so early in the afternoon, here in Uptown?" "Yeah, doubtful she'll ever hold a good man."

"A priestess of Grandma Spider here, mommy?" "Even holy people need to take the edge off once in a while, baby." "Oh, is that why she's so dusty and bloody, too?" "Deche (hush) little one, eat your acorn mush."

"Pretty lil' darlin's, if a bit messy. But like they've seen a ghost." "Maybe they went out dancing with the new moon haints?" "Heh, next you'd tell me they danced with the devil in the pale moon light. Leave 'em be, they're probably off work anyway."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on November 10, 2014, 08:47:21 AM
"Evening Lady Bright Feather. " Alric nods and smiles warmly, He is stroking Mal's side and checking on his condition. "So what happened up on the hill today?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on November 10, 2014, 08:59:42 AM
Hello Alric, I'm not sure exactly but the Elders do have information and will want to speak with all of us as a group, it seems that fetish holds more then a little significance. Where are the others?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on November 11, 2014, 12:29:34 PM
Quote from: Opaopajr;797642
"Yeah, doubtful she'll ever hold a good man."

Hanalee catches this, and gladly finishes her second shot, slamming the glass back down with a crack. Then she takes the first of Karnath's two shots.

When Georgette comes near again, Hanalee waves her over. "Hey...Georgie. What you know what they says about them graveyards?" she asks, slightly slurred.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on November 11, 2014, 04:48:30 PM
"A whiskey please" Caden breathes airily, the weariness of the days events catching up with him. He will take his time with his drink and keep his ears open for anything juicy, if he spots anyone amicable looking enough he will try to make conversation and get a feel for the place.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on November 15, 2014, 12:04:06 AM
Bright Feather walks into Georgina's sees Hanna and says..." I'll have what she's having, that graveyard is more than merely curious"....with a shudder.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on November 20, 2014, 11:19:30 AM
Alric sits quietly petting Mal until someone tells him otherwise.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on November 22, 2014, 05:48:01 PM
still within quarter past noon

Geraldine's Porch

Alric

The acolyte and weaver hold a knowing look before parting, the weaver following Bright Feather into Geraldine's. His smirk noticeably faded during your exchange, leaving the arched eyebrow. He turns his head as the two enter the establishment, pauses, then returns to facing the street with a practiced inscrutable mask.

He lets the lingering silence get uncomfortable, "And a fetish, too? Busy morning."

Turns to look at you, seriously, across happy Mal being petted. That fucking judgmental silence of religiosity! Well, hunters know how to stay silent, too.

"So why are you still here? Who sent you? Or is it a blood feud?"

"Never mind. Defend yourself when you stand within the sacred smoke." Turns back to gaze at Main Street. "Like We, The People, don't have enough problems."
-------------

Geraldine's

Karnath, Hanalee, & Bright Feather

Georgette nods acknowledgement to Bright Feather and sets up a shot of well whiskey. She gestures quickly from her hand three outstretched fingers to indicate the price [three copper] and gets back to cleaning up Hanalee's new batch of emptied shot glasses.

"Any more at that pace, 'red', and I'll be sweeping you off the floor. Take it easy some." She scrutinizes Hanalee and Karnath as if she should be reading warning signs.

"Graveyards? Not much, besides 'have no hurry to go there yet.'" Looks between you both, Hanalee & Bright Feather, then a passing worried glance at Karnath. "Why? What'ch've been doin' on out there, so close to a dark moon?"

Gets in conspiratorially close to Hanalee and jokingly chides in a low voice, "Y'all off to a black sabbath at the witchin' hour, signin' an extension on that pact to hold sweetheart Tamar ensorcelled to your wiles?" Pokes at your arm, Hanalee, like a ribbing sibling. Backs up, "Or are you girls off plannin' to dance naked in the midnight air where no one with any sense'll come see ya?"

"I'd like to come see ya." "Shut up, Ralphie boy." "Well when're they back on the clock?" "They ain't workin' none like that, so shut up ya hear?"

Returning to you three, "I like to air out my gongas with a nice open air dance like the next lass, but I got work tonight. So thanks, but gonna pass, whatever y'all are up to."

The weaver unconsciously gasps at this exchange. Almost forgot she was there, hovering quietly by Bright Feather. Demure thing, possibly easily shocked.

Leans back in towards Hanalee. "Seriously though," thumbing a gesture at Karnath, "if she's gonna yak in here at least let me bring an empty spittoon."
----------------

'Another Respectable Uptown Establishment'

Caden

"Sure thing, one whiskey. A [silver], please."

The dandy slams his shot, holds it in his throat with upturned face, closing his eyes in a wincing ecstasy. Next he then sips half his cordial and rolls it in his mouth. He eyes you as he rolls his cordial. You actually have trouble discerning whether this is intimidation or a come on.

With an audible swallow and suck of the teeth he finishes. He leans into the bar, fingers tracing his stemmed cordial glass, and levels his eyes at you. "Waiting for the next load to arrive?" his voice huskier from the strength of drink.

What the hell is he talking about? Silver? Customers? Cordials? Bowel movement? ???

You catch whispers of commentary about you:

"Oh good, Leander'll bounce out any riff-raff tendencies."

"Maybe he's just an early 'call' before lunch. Rather bold for a trick, though."

"Out of all the establishments in town, this one... looking like that."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on November 24, 2014, 10:26:28 AM
Alric ignores the man's jibes and focuses on Mal.

Does he seem much better, what is his status.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on November 24, 2014, 10:44:37 AM
Gives the acolyte a glance.."interesting at least and nothing so grand as a feud just curiousity really".
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on November 24, 2014, 11:36:35 PM
Karnath listens to the bartender, greeting Bright Feather's arrival with a sort of grimace; but she isn't in the mood to be amused. Frankly, she is feeling like she'd like a rest, and maybe something simple, like that she could hit with her mace.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on November 25, 2014, 02:40:03 AM
Hanalee shakes her head to Georgette, and actually laughs. "You know I don't have to cast any hoodoo to get Tamar to come running--but it was me who postponed our engagement, remember? Least until I get this whole Destiny thing figured out."

"We were up at the graves investigating some right spooky business--not for fun, but to see if we could clear it out. Felt like I was taken over, possessed by something fierce."
She looks quietly at the other ladies.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on December 01, 2014, 03:27:36 PM
still within quarter past noon

Geraldine's Porch

Alric

"Your dog seems fine, by the way." He looks alternately back and forth at Mal soaking up the attention and the street.

"Eh! (ah!) He's a lovable, big oaf, isn't he?" Succumbs to the urge and again scratches happy Mal's exposed flank.
----------------

Geraldine's

Bright Feather, Hanalee, Karnath

Karnath is amid her short rest, brooding? Hopefully the hour will pass uneventfully, as Geraldine's is a good quality establishment. Besides there's the staff to handle the riff raff.

Bright Feather receives a whiskey shot (and loses 3 cp). It looks right good and painful at the same time, amber color and a whiff of sharp mixed with earth. Mmm... better quality fire water, not like a dive bar.

Hanalee continues with Georgette, but she seems incredulous at the suggestion. "Why on earth go there?" Looks about as if this is crazy talk, and then leans in as if wanting to shelter her friend, whispers, "Clear out what, the dead?

"What sort of destiny sets you out chasing nightmares and risking your soul? I don't know much about those spirit things, and from childhood stories sorta don't wanna know. To think any of them might be real is real bad news.

"I do remember a few horrors told about graveyards. There was the black dog from hell that guards the graves. Ooh, that one's frightening!" Backs up and speaks a bit more normal in volume, forgetting herself.

"And then there was the monsters that took to eating human flesh! The ones that were dead and stupid, and then the ones that were smart and dug tunnels under graveyards and cities. Those would even poison or disease the people to get more food, or kidnap those walking the streets. Ooh, gives me the oodiegots, just thinking about it. Glad we have no real sewer system here.

"Oh, and then there's the ghost lights that whisper in your ear by the light of the new moon to join them! Those sounded not so bad, except for the 'join them' part. Like a fly buzzing in the ear, just swat it away. Spooky, but wouldn't it take a weak will to be convinced by whispers?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on December 01, 2014, 05:22:24 PM
"I think you may be right but still I would rather not take chances. If something lingers and I juss forgot about it I would never live with myself."

Alric settles in waiting for the elders to finish with the woman hoping they have time for Mal and whatever may have taken him. Settling in his mind the need to deal with the unnatural presence in the graveyard.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on December 02, 2014, 02:42:20 PM
Geraldine's Porch

Alric

The ritual continues and yet the rest of the town is trying to continue on, despite non-locals being unnerved by the scene.

"How many tsaan sadee'nee' (good dogs) have you lived through? And the number this one is?" Acolyte scratches Mal's ears.

As a pair of on edge Easterners passes by the porch they comment low, "Either off whooping in some ceremony or sitting around doing nothing..."

In that same studied calm the acolyte adds, "A tsaan sadee' is not easy to come by. But at least dogs are more observant of us beyond what we can immediately give them. A wonder why they are so patient with all of us, even those of us who forget about others." Heh, backhanded commentary inside a compliment; now what if he was really mad at those passing by?
-------------

'Another Respectable Uptown Establishment'

Caden

The dandy leans in and gives an arched eyebrow and low whisper, "This isn't the service entrance. We're a respectable place here. You deliver the order of spirits through the side and back alley."

Pulling back, "And at least clean off the dust from the road next time. You might soil a patron."

"Why is he still letting him linger here? What, is he some lost and slow relation?"

"Tuck in your gown, dear. He's liable to brush up against you upon leaving and dirty your brocade." "Oh goodness no! Eww!"

"Well it's been an age since we had some gristle to chew around here. I mean just look at poor Leander there, the last one we had and passed around." "But you still must admit he's in fashion, darling."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on December 02, 2014, 10:11:38 PM
"He is the first though I brought him up much from a pup." Alric answer absentmindedly.

"Yeah, Dogs give a loyalty most us people don't deserve but I am at least trying to earn mine." Alric says with a grimace.


"We all need are moment of peace especially after so much trauma."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on December 04, 2014, 09:17:59 PM
Hanalee brightens up. "Aha! That last one--I think that rings a bell. Except the spirits were less about luring you to join them and more about forcing you. All the same, I think that's probably what my friends and I encountered. In your stories, what do they call those ghost lights?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on December 07, 2014, 12:17:16 AM
Caden pauses when he hears the dandy, sizes him up, locks eyes with him and gives a wicked grin.

His patience with this place is fading fast. He will give it a few moments to more, seeing if he hears any interesting bits of information and will approach anyone that looks like they may be of a more earthy sort. Otherwise he will head out to find the others.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on December 07, 2014, 05:05:23 PM
Next 15 min til 12:30 pm

I know several of you are resting. However for those of you interacting with the environment I will continue. Nothing like free information while you are idling. Feel free to slip between idling and engaging during this social phase.

Geraldine's Porch

Alric

"Hmm, yes, a moment of peace. But the sun does not stop, nor the seasons wait. You would think at least the land stays settled, but not even that anymore." Reflects upon the boomtown.

"Did you know that we traditionally did not live exactly here, even though we knew about the underground sweet water just a quarter mile that way?" nodding his head in the direction of the Main Street Well. "We lived nearby, but avoided this place. You could say it is a sacred place of sorts.

"We came to settle here because the settlers came to settle here. Well, after the silver was found, of course. That was when the first Eastern settlers who crossed over the mountains returned to lay Livonia's grave monument.

"We, the People, sacrificed a lot to keep the spirits of creation placated and keep us all, the People and the Easterners, alive. But with all the digging and prodding it is only a matter of time..."
--------------------

Geraldine's

Hanalee

An older gentlemen who always seems to gather a crowd to listen tall tales catches tail of your conversation. Piqued by the tale of strange legends and creatures he stands to receive a beer being obviously passed to someone else at his table and jumps on in your conversation. A bit of a charming lush, this man is.

"Ooh, the will o'wisps! I tell you a tale, lassies, of a wisp of light that leads you to your doom in me yonder fair isle, far to the East. Across the great cold waters through the north, it is, and never a fairer land was told, as me gram said."

He proceeds to elaborate about a glowing light in the woods that would lead the curious to their death, and if not to finish them off itself. He then starts a litany of other monsters and horrors that surround graveyards and helps himself to a beer 'to whet his tell-tale whistle, you know'. [any interest and I will elaborate.]
--------------

'Another Respectable Uptown Establishment'

Caden

Sizing him up you notice that the dandy does fill his clothes more than one would immediately assume. Strange he also has rough hands and steely eyes, a contrast to his 'livery', a good thing you took a moment. Seems like he's got a good thing going and is willing to break a few bones to keep it.

Of the people in the room currently, the grizzled middle-aged bartender, this dandy-cum-bouncer, and a man in black suit and grey silk vest (brooding card-sharp?) seem the earthiest. There is a moments hesitation in the dandy-cum-bouncer, as if he is about to close in fast and correct an errant employee but has sudden recognition that you do not work here. You have an opportunity to seize, to whom you wish to address.

"I hear a new shipment of silk and satin will be arriving soon. I do hope they carry one of my favorite colors." "But all of the pastels are your favorite colors."

"Remember my spare wampum belt, the childhood one with bison calf bone pipes? Traded for a half dozen strands of abalone beads. The trade runners from Last Unction should be here within the week."

"I hear the tailor advertising on the bulletin board is swamped with orders now. Buried in material. Can't imagine adding my sumptuous items to that poorly guarded pile now."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on December 07, 2014, 08:56:24 PM
Hanalee grins. "Will o' the wisps? Heh--I suspected as much!" she boasts, knowing full well that she hadn't a clue. "Could you go back to those a minute, sir! In those stories, you heard tell of any way to disperse the things? Or if not defeat 'em, drive them quiet for a while?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on December 07, 2014, 10:52:40 PM
Caden extends a hand to the dandily dressed bouncer, "Caden Ironoak, it seems you have me mixed up for someone else friend. From the looks of it seems as if I don't quite fit the typical crowd round here."

Caden will attempt to make a friend of the bouncer if he can, it never hurts to have a rough friend connected to high society. If he can he will try to play on commonalities in background, he has found that men who make living by violence tend to understand one another.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on December 08, 2014, 11:06:16 AM
"True the easteners do not look upon the land with the same respect that others do. The spirits need their spaces just as we do"

"The respect is lacking here, respect for the land, the spirits but still it is the world we live in and we must do as we must to survive. Angry spirits or not."

"It still saddens me"
He continues to rub along Mal's fur, knowing that he is mostly likely past the episode he had but still it is a comfort to Alric now.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on December 08, 2014, 02:29:36 PM
Quote
"Ooh, the will o'wisps! I tell you a tale, lassies, of a wisp of light that leads you to your doom in me yonder fair isle, far to the East. Across the great cold waters through the north, it is, and never a fairer land was told, as me gram said."

He proceeds to elaborate about a glowing light in the woods that would lead the curious to their death, and if not to finish them off itself. He then starts a litany of other monsters and horrors that surround graveyards and helps himself to a beer 'to whet his tell-tale whistle, you know'. [any interest and I will elaborate.]
Bright Feather eyes the older gentleman..."please go on".
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on December 08, 2014, 05:38:58 PM
Karni: head down on the bar - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zebNO0flyzQ
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on December 12, 2014, 07:20:24 AM
Next 15 min. till 12:30 pm

Geraldine's

Bright Feather & Hanalee

"Ay, it is a tragic tale you know, of loose women and heathen ways bringing ruin to shriven souls." Sips lovingly his annexed beer with closed eyes, settling into another performance of 'his calling'. "Gracious, does that not quench the insides, like the Good Word does the fires of a forlorn heart. Now where was I?

"Yes, ye wee will o'wisps of the gloom of night and the wilds. Created from the lost souls of babes, snatched from the Guff but ne'er given the chance to be baptized — some not e'en a chance to be born!" He says this as if hinting a grave and unspeakable crime, hunched over, gesturing hands outstretched like claws for dramatic effect.

"Before the Fair Isle received relief of the Good Book, young lasses be dancing a fair lot with the lads unchaperoned-like, in the dim lit edges of bonfires if you catch my meaning," nudging and winking to a nearby seated listener. "And well, as nature is to wont, a blessing unasked came a'visiting.

"But did they obey the commandments? Well ignorant as they were, how could they. But even of the laws of basic hospitality? No, why bother a jot, for fun is fun and free from work!" He moves his head and flips his hands by his neck in turns, as if tossing make-believe long hair. "Well they must not have heard of a few inhospitable towns that are no more, where an excess of salt remains! Ha ha!" He cracks a joke that is obviously an inside one for those particularly knowledgeable and believing of Eastern ways — and a healthy majority of his listeners laugh alongside (some even natives).

"And with an as-you-please did their nefarious business at night, by the boundaries of the wilds, far from the safety and sight of town and cross." Open eyed incredulous look, as if scandalized, he shares among his listeners. "Well the angels were having none of this, and the hoofed-one himself saw an opportunity, and off to visit these lost innocents they went."

"A fair number were, and still to this day are!, tricked by Horny Nick himself to wreak havoc. To glow as little yellow and white balls, and fade in and out of sight, and whisper to those too open to follow them into the wilderness to die of exposure and join them in their fun of vengeance. These tend to be at the edges of towns, often by dangerous wilds, and come forth at night. Condemned by their new wicked ways, they torment the living and snatch good but careless souls from their travels!" A pause for the sudden shudder that goes through the crowd; he smirks a job well done so far.

"And then there's the Scourges upon Wanton Laughter, blessed by the angels of vengeance they. These tend to amass by cemeteries, even cloisters (because sometimes even the nuns have been known to lapse into the female failing of too much compassion, especially to a lass in trouble, amiright?). They follow soft, idle hands, hands that don't know or have forgotten swaddling and the secret language of mother's whispers to baby's cooing.

"Same like little yellow or white balls of light, but they come to bring the voices back to the betrayer — or those too loose and gay, and prone to betray in the future! They cry and moan, and tear out the heart's emotions. They whisper the lads' come-hithers and remind of the chill emptiness beside the bed. If the fancy-free lingers too long unsettled and forsaken, she gets the chills and fevers, speaks to phantasms, and remains lost inside herself, alone. Nary a moments peace to those who forget the work that is family and home, the bedrock of society upon which mankind is to toil this soil until our final rest..."

Satisfied, he then leans back to savor the reception of his work. Several listeners, notably all men, offer praise and agreement to such wisdom and storytelling. Of those most in agreement they tend to be more settled, and possibly married, if the symbols of marriage upon them are any indication.
-------------

Bright Feather — you sense someone leaning into your ear, oh! its the weaver sent to watch by you, and then hear her whisper. "I know I have to watch you for today, but of what interest do you find in such Eastern nunnehi (native fey) bison-shit? And how much more of this do I have to endure without getting at least some fire water in me to make it dream away?"

?.

She's funny! After all that politeness at the ritual and the porch, didn't know she had such fire in her. "My ancestral spirit animal, how much nonsense would one have to accept to believe in all that vindictive hokum."

(Alric, Caden, I'll get back to you two ASAP. Momentito, por favor.)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on December 12, 2014, 08:38:57 AM
12:15~12:30 PM

'Another Respectable Uptown Establishment'

Caden

"Huh. Well aren't you a dead ringer? My apologies, new customer..." takes your hand and draws you in; he's surprisingly a lot stronger than you anticipated (passive STR contest) and pulled you in easily into his embrace. "Show up towards closing one night all cleaned up if you want tips on how to blend in," he whispers, then releases the embrace and lets you again free.

"An innocent mistake for a new traveler," he says volubly, "you have just had the pleasure to grace one of the finest leisure establishments West of the Platte. But rules are rules, even the unknown ones." Pleased tittering passes among the posing crowd, elites they all seem to feel to be. He nods to you to finish up your drink and begins to escort you to the door. When he resumes talking to you as you walk together towards the door, he switches to a more private tone of voice.

"Name is Leander. Good to know there's two of you who look so similar, and yet don't seem to know of each other yet. Unless you're tricking me Frederico with your accent, which of course I'll have to break your legs later to make sure there's either two of you, or at least show the lone 'clever one' who is boss." Smiles at you friendly-like, dangerously friendly. "No one likes being made a fool, and this crowd is worse than most." Reaching the door, "Petty vengeance is enough to draw blood among them — and my laundress has enough of that to wash out as it is. I'm the nice one around here, remember?" Winks.

Lingering at the entrance with you distinctly outside of it, brushing off your travel dust from his clothes, "Don't take it personal, though. Strictly business, if you are Caden Ironoak. Which, if you are who you say you are, and you both clean up nicely the same, may be useful to me and my endeavors in the future." Leaning against the doorframe, arms crossed and with a smirk, "Unless you turned over a new leaf and are no longer game."

"Have a bath and visit at closing sometime, if you are game." Nods, turns, and returns back into the darkness and whispering gossip.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on December 12, 2014, 11:07:58 AM
Quote
Bright Feather — you sense someone leaning into your ear, oh! its the weaver sent to watch by you, and then hear her whisper. "I know I have to watch you for today, but of what interest do you find in such Eastern nunnehi (native fey) bison-shit? And how much more of this do I have to endure without getting at least some fire water in me to make it dream away?"

?.

She's funny! After all that politeness at the ritual and the porch, didn't know she had such fire in her. "My ancestral spirit animal, how much nonsense would one have to accept to believe in all that vindictive hokum."
Bright Feather glances over and whispers..."Information is always good and whether I believe it or not isn't relevant young one. I do know from my own eyes not all he says is lies or stories the question now is how much though..." looking thoughtfully at her glass.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on December 12, 2014, 12:12:21 PM
Not hurting my feelings I am boring this scene :)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on December 12, 2014, 10:35:38 PM
12:25~12:30 PM

Geraldine's Porch

Alric

"That was very well rehearsed native wisdom pablum. I'm glad you know how to speak the truth and still leave the Easterners looking like stupid children." He looks sideways at you with a mischievous smile, "My compliments to your elders. They taught the art of survival well."

A new batch of Easterners walks on by the boardwalk, they seem to be new aspiring miners. Their grasp of Shoshone is accented and halting. The acolyte waits a bit for them to pass on by, but they take a moment to linger to (as they whisper in Easterner) 'see a real live native! in two different sizes! sittin' around with a dog doin' nothing!'

Acolyte switches to accented and halting Easterner at you, Alric, "The song... speaks of ground squirrel crying. Too much silver everywhere, especially up mountain where there... no trees anymore. So much shiny rock, no space for tender roots. We cry sad tears with the ground squirrel..." This knowledge is obviously not for your benefit.

In a choked whisper, one Easterner of the pair says to the other, "Hush, partner! These simple men will spill the beans on the mother lode!"

The acolyte flashes a comic simpleton face at you, with full shit-eating grin, but you see the twinkle behind his eyes. He's having a coyote, or raven, moment. His eyebrows hint that you're welcome to keep the fun going.

"Well, what else they say? Should we ask them about the weather, too? They're like magically attuned to nature, y'know."

Ooh, acolyte got an eye wince and momentarily broken grin like he's about to do a real naughty trick, an 'educational' trick... if humans had rattles like Brother Snake.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on December 12, 2014, 11:19:20 PM
Alric nods at the compliment.

He is not in the mood to play games or tricks, Coyote and Raven were not spirits common to his demeanor, but he enjoys a good jest and needs his spirits lifted. He watches the Acolyte smiling somewhat idiotically to play along. Fools will be fools without his or the Acolytes  help.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on December 17, 2014, 02:28:31 AM
not yet 12:30 PM

Geraldine's

Bright Feather

"You must have seen a terrible thing then, miss." The weaver reins back her disgust sympathetically. She orders a triple shot of whiskey and pays for it herself. She whispers a prayer, takes a light sip, turn her head to the side, and then aerosols it through her lips. "To those who still wander with thirst." She slams her shot.

She continues, but again only loud enough for your benefit. "I find it hard to believe in haunting failed pregnancies, except in the poor mother-to-be herself, but that's our stories. We know of the bad deaths leading to unseen ghost light, hungry for a second chance to atone. But that's why we all have proper burial ceremonies, even the animal-people, like kobolds." Shoots another shotglass.
--------------

Hanalee

"Ooo, there are many ways to keep the Lost Babes from you, fair lassie. Best of all is to settle down with a good man and keep the hands busy with the loving care for the many children you're blessed with." The storyteller answers your question, all smiles.

Some of the audience also lead in with "Well there's no time like the present to set a matrimony date..." "Hard to find a good man left as time passes!" "And good weather for a party, too..."

Georgette adds, "Heard loose teeth from a preachy stranger works well, too."

"Well, I heard there's other amulets..." "There's always rope from a hanged man." "Or the bloodied birth cloth from a woman in labor." "And then there's the toe of a halfling thief." "And the fingernail of an elven seer!" "I thought that was to see in the dark..."
--------------

Geraldine's Porch

Alric

The acolyte tricks them that water tends to stay locked up in the summer in underground ice high in the mountain. It trickles on through along the sides as the freshest and coolest of water. All they need is to look for a basking lizard, and then with a shovel dig a foot or two down.

And all said with a smile at you. He's a bit of a right bastard when angry. The fools eat it up and start to take off.

"See? Like children, they'll tell you anything if you let them prattle on!"

"My word, it is a wonder we haven't completed our destiny and conquered all this land already."

"Well, the silver is a good start!" "Rightie-o! Let's to it!"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on December 17, 2014, 10:12:33 AM
Alric smiles and nods stupidly at the men. Fools will be fools. Greed is a poison and perhaps this will take that out of them.

"True. Let the land test their mettle"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on December 19, 2014, 03:25:56 PM
Caden pauses to think for moment after the exchange, makes a mental note of it and decides to come back later to see what opportunities may arise. For now he will try to catch back up with Alric and the others.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on December 19, 2014, 11:11:37 PM
12:30

Geraldine's Porch & just outside 'Another Respectable Uptown Establishment'

Alric & Caden

"HAAIIiiiiiAA! OTO! OTO! NANICHAWAI, BIA', NANICHAWAI!" (AHHH! OWW! OWW! HELP ME, MAMA, HELP ME!)

"Deche deaipede, deche!" (Hush child, hush!), a woman cries out between the screams. "Gaishese hanaananana before Brother Snake, deaipede!" (Do not 'boo hoo' yet before Brother Snake, child!), another woman cries.

"HAAAIIIIAAAAAA--!" abrupt silence, including the ritual music.

The acolyte sits stock still, like holding his breath. A sickening four-beat measure of silence. Then the beat returns, along with the "hanaananana" (boo hoo) of women in the periphery. He begins to relax, but he is noticeably worried.

"With the town expanding so fast we cannot keep enough fast acting antivenin medicine. Good medicine takes time." He speaks to Alric (and likely Caden by the time he catches up to outside Geraldine's) without breaking his gaze upon the Elder's Place.

"Why everything now? We cannot maintain against this strain!" Turning and imploring at Alric (& Caden?), "The silver never asked of us so much. It was happy resting underground. Now there is so much take, does anyone ask what it is we all must give?"

(We may continue into 1:00 PM and resolve this Short Rest, unless anyone has interest in lingering social pursuits. I sense Karnath is restless, but I also know several of you wanted to multitask & glean info with your time. We can also abstract out other reasonable requests that can fit within 30 minutes, if roleplaying it out is taking too long.)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on December 20, 2014, 07:05:05 PM
"we will relive as much strain as we can. I think soon perhaps we need to start working instead of resting but even though Mal's illness has worn at my nerves we need to get back up there and figure out what is going on."

Alric looks to Caden for confirmation if he is nearby.

OOC- Alric is fine to speed this up and move on though the information is more vital than that.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on December 21, 2014, 01:36:40 PM
(Any last minute questions or actions before 1 PM? Ask now.

Also, as a heads up to the GM, where are each of you heading after your Short Rest? City random encounter tables are quite a bit safer, but there's other stuff going on in and out of town.)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on December 21, 2014, 03:32:29 PM
Alric, provided Mal is OK to walk around will touch base with everyone and suggest heading back out.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on December 22, 2014, 02:10:20 AM
Quote from: Artifacts of Amber;805445
Alric, provided Mal is OK to walk around will touch base with everyone and suggest heading back out.


(Since all 5 of "Almost Everyone" is at Geraldine's (or on its porch), I will assume all of you are starting in that position. You may freely assume you are talking amongst yourselves about where else to go from here. Being in character for that conversation is up to you.)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on December 22, 2014, 10:42:15 AM
Alric gets Mal's lazy carcass up and moving toward Geraldine's where he saw everyone end up.

He walks in looks around and says kind of loudly (For him) "Okay back on the pony still got stuff a brewin' up on that hill"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on December 23, 2014, 01:34:01 AM
Karni yawns and stretches, looking to see who is around.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on December 23, 2014, 04:02:23 PM
Hanalee emerges from a dark corner looking rather disheveled, but otherwise okay. She is happy to see Mal, and drops to one knee to pat him on the head.

She shudders. "I...I know we should clear that hill, but I have to admit I'm not too eager to go back out there. Actually, our encounter earlier gave me some things to think about. I think I might swing by Blushing Plox's house, and I'll catch up with you in a bit..."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on December 24, 2014, 01:29:28 AM
1:00 PM

Geraldine's

"Preacher Sometimes" enters just before 1:00 PM and beelines to his habitual back room, minimal greetings along the way.
------------

Acolyte beside Alric looks with tension toward the door, straining to listen to the ritual. At some point just past 1:00 PM he visibly relaxes and remains composed by Alric's side.

He makes no comment or gesture at the obviously buzzed weaver beside Bright Feather
----------

Weaver slumps at the bar, visibly exhausted by the superstitious storytelling, waiting for Bright Feather to move. She idles a moment to chew the ear of the native mother and child having lunch. She launches into a softer voiced story of the creation of earth's spirits and the reasoning for burying their dead.
----------

Iodar ushers a few belligerent newcomers, after they got into their cups, outside in an interest to keep the peaceful mood. These customers seemed interested in getting supplies from Vaux's, but the Elder's Place banking hold up is delaying them, and by now the ritual song is getting on their nerves. They spill into the streets looking for action, likely to discover the downtown's 'afternoon show' for themselves.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on December 27, 2014, 11:16:37 AM
(What is everyone doing these next 15 minutes, between 1:00 and 1:15 PM?)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on December 27, 2014, 04:56:49 PM
Alric is trying to rouse the rest so we can go deal with the task at hand.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on December 28, 2014, 01:05:08 AM
Quote from: Artifacts of Amber;806340
Alric is trying to rouse the rest so we can go deal with the task at hand.


Well, all five of 'Almost Everyone' are all in the same spot, Geraldine's, and have been throughout the Short Rest. At this point the GM can only stare at the players, waiting — or have ninjas attack. (I have to admit the latter is rather tempting, like always, though not setting appropriate. I mean, who doesn't like ambushing ninjas?, especially after the Holidays.)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on December 28, 2014, 04:06:03 AM
Caden looks to Alric "I think it's time we get moving as a group again, we ought to see what all the others are thinking and make a plan."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on December 28, 2014, 09:53:35 AM
"Yes sir let's, light a fire under dem'"

"OK Bright, Karnath lets head on out, we got a good bit of road to cover to come up with a plan. Hana is making a stop I think we can catch up to her as we leave, Think she went to check on that widow woman."



OOC - I do believe wild Indians would be the genre "Ninja" choice. Whooping and attacking the town. :)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on December 29, 2014, 01:00:41 PM
Hanalee takes her leave of the group and heads for Blushing Plox's home...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on December 30, 2014, 02:01:40 AM
Karni, a bit groggy, loads up her gear to follow the rest of the group out of the tavern.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on December 30, 2014, 12:43:31 PM
So far I have Hanalee visiting Blushing Phlox's home and the rest of the party walking... back to downtown's New Graveyard? Remember, your original quest — the one in which you are going to be paid — is at the Old Graveyard. Any last minute clarifications?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on January 10, 2015, 04:20:04 AM
Outside Town, 1/4 mile from Downtown exit

1:15 PM

Alric, Bright Feather, Caden, Karnath (npcs: acolyte & weaver)

You are now 3/4 of a mile from the New Graveyard's core, where recent unpleasant memories reside. You know you are 2 and 3/4 mile from the Old Graveyard. It will be some time shortly after 2 PM (explicitly 2:10 PM) when you arrive at the Old Graveyard.

Mercifully it has been rather uneventful traveling through town, except for the expected rustle and bustle of Downtown's fomenting afternoon show. No fighting yet, but it is merely a matter of time, so it will likely sort itself out while you are all well away. The afternoon traffic on the Downtown Main Trail favors going into town, likely to wet a whistle and get some fightin' action before sundown. Even some of the passing conversation speak of as much.

"I hear yesterday was a bloody day. A good day to die."

"Well all the more room to pick up their silver, I say."

"But whose claims were they?"

"Gotta ask around."

"People'll likely kill you as soon as answer..."
---------------------

The Blushing Phlox Home

1:15 PM

Hanalee

A modest two story wood home just off Main Street a bit, midway down to almost the well. A logographic of the family name is on the entrance door jamb, and a withering patch of their namesake pink flowers is by their stoop. The door is open and an elderly couple watches out from inside.

"Flower? That lovely poppy-headed child from yesterday has returned. Maybe she needs your help, dear." The mother voice rings from within, addressing the silence inside the home. The elderly man starts to cough again, but it stops soon after and ends with a deep breath.

Returning to address you the mother continues, all while remaining in her chair, "Come in dear and share some pine nuts. You must be blessed with love to return so quick. Hand me the wooden bowl and cast the pine nuts, I'll read your marriage fortune.

"The People said I was pretty good at it in my day. But the knack has little to do with me but the Kitchen Basket Wife spirit, of course. However the People don't come around anymore like they used to..."

A hollow, disembodied voice whispers from the silence within, "Coming mother. Readying father's steam bowl." It's all as tragic as you remember.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on January 11, 2015, 12:42:45 PM
Alric will continue on form the distractions of the crowd. For a sleepy town it has too much going on for one person to pay attention to. He'll move with a sedate pace to give time for Hana to catch up. Hopefully the side trip is on the way.

Careful to keep a distance from new graveyard he will stop and address everyone. "So did anyone learn anything about these here things, spirits what have you, that attacked you earlier?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on January 12, 2015, 01:46:05 AM
Outside Town, 1/4 mile from Downtown exit

1:15 PM

Alric, Bright Feather, Caden, Karnath (npcs: acolyte & weaver)

"C'mon, Jenny, that's a good girl. Gotta make it to Dusky Hollow Camp before those whiskey prices drop back down. Everyone spooked by nerves is only temporary business..."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on January 15, 2015, 04:19:02 AM
OK, I am going to keep this moving along in a last resort way: I am decoupling Hanalee's temporal side story from the rest of the group. To reach the Old Graveyard will take until 2:10 PM, and will bypass the downtown New Graveyard. Unless anyone says anything different right now I am assuming a Normal pace of long-term movement.

If no one has anything to add from Alric, Bright Feather, Caden, & Karnath, I am going to post any encounters along the way and then speed the rest of you all up to 2:10 PM and continue on your investigation. Hanalee may or may not syncopate to your subgroup as expected, but that's part of the fun of splitting up.

Hanalee, I give you more time to continue your Blushing Phlox investigation. You are also free from the rest of the group waiting on you. I don't know if together you agreed upon a specific time to meet up again, but I'm sure it will all work out.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on January 15, 2015, 10:28:56 AM
Hana knew where we are headed and said she'd catch up so we will muster ahead.

While Alric will note what is going along the roadway/path he is focused on finding out what is going on in the new graveyard. He took it personally. So unless it is about the Graveyard or the encounter slaps him in the face he is going to drive on to there.

Starting to wonder if I am the only one playing now :)

Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on January 15, 2015, 06:17:08 PM
I expect a bit of it after the holidays and in the middle of sports playoffs. The Super Bowl is coming up, and college football is wrapping up, so I know Marleycat will be preoccupied. After some churn perhaps they'll return, but I don't worry if most of December to January goes slow.

As for an encounter slapping you in the face... (I rolled well, and truly merciful).

New Graveyard, 1 Mile from Downtown Exit

1:30 PM

Alric, Bright Feather, Caden, Karnath (npcs: acolyte & weaver)

You see a woman in a garish Eastern ruffled dress kneeling by a grave marker a good ways inside. She seems to be weeping softly, but this can only be guessed by the convulsive bobbing of her shoulders, and there are fresh flowers left atop. You cannot make out how fresh the grave is from here due to her voluminous dress (which is obviously being dirtied by her carelessness).
--------------------------

Main Trail Downtown exit, NNW, 2 Miles out

1:50 PM

Alric, Bright Feather, Caden, Karnath (npcs: acolyte & weaver)

A dapper, but dusty, man comes from the opposite direction. He has a donkey and quite a bit of garish colored canvas atop it, flanked by a curious crew of well-covered up halflings? (Alric: their walk is not right, they don't seem like halflings.) He orders them about brusquely, and frequently beats off the dust from his sleeves from travel frustration.

Upon seeing your group he beelines towards your party. He seems to be a slick salesmen, all smiles and worn velvet. He starts into a spiel but then catches your group's haggard, bloodied (Karnath is still wearing her sacred blood sacrifice, I presume), and serious look and thinks better of it.

"If you seek that miracle to what ails you, just ask for Master Zammer Zee. That'll be me! Only in town briefly, for there's people to be saved all over the world. Just look for the big red tent, can't miss it!"

"Boss, isn't it more pink now?"

"Hush, a little sun-kissed by heaven's rays is all. What a show, save your life, tell a friend. Can't miss it!"

And they hurry on past your group towards Livonia's Lament.

(Alric, unless those workers burned their voice in a fire, they're not halflings. Alric, passive Perception 14, green paint around their eyes? Karnath, passive Perception 14, pointy ears underneath their headwraps?)
---------------------

Old Graveyard, 3 Miles out from Downtown exit

2:10 PM

Alric, Bright Feather, Caden, Karnath (npcs: acolyte & weaver)

You arrive to the Old Graveyard, and it is as beautiful as Caden remembers. Tall center stone monument surrounded by old stone headstones and a dazzle of wildflower colors in between. The steady incline levels off into a comfortable table around here. You can see the rising fold that Hanalee & Caden crested, dipped, and crested again in their late night heroics at Grim Man's Claim.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on January 15, 2015, 07:50:51 PM
"Not Halflings" Alric comments to the others but otherwise continues. He does offer the gentlemen a look of disgust before moving on.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on January 15, 2015, 09:26:09 PM
OOC;

Sorry for the absence, I'll catch up on what I've missed and I'm back in the game.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on January 16, 2015, 08:01:52 PM
Where would 'Almost Everyone' like to start investigating the Old Graveyard? You have some time before night falls, likely around 7 PM-ish (gotta double check IC topic pt. 1 or sunset timetable for July 2nd).
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on January 20, 2015, 01:31:17 PM
Works for me. I finally have Internet service again so I'll be active once more.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on January 21, 2015, 07:43:03 PM
I'm waiting on feed back wince Alric only caught the tail end of that ordeal.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on January 21, 2015, 09:14:04 PM
Quote from: Artifacts of Amber;811333
I'm waiting on feed back wince Alric only caught the tail end of that ordeal.

Are you referring to the Downtown New Graveyard ordeal, upon returning from delivering the snake bitten mother? Well, are you looking for the IC experiential story from your party members, or their recent IC investigation into History & Lore, because I don't want to step on their toes there. Or am I misreading your question?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on January 21, 2015, 09:56:54 PM
Alric posed a question to others about what happened and what they have learned since. Was waiting on PC replies :)

Gm may continue to nap as needed :)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on January 22, 2015, 02:08:32 AM
OK. Boss monster and army of undead stand at the ready,  waiting on the heroes. :D
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on January 22, 2015, 10:27:54 AM
ooC - Can I poke the boss monster with a stick and run away or do we have to wait on the tank to arrive to run this dungeon?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on January 23, 2015, 12:15:55 AM
Quote from: Artifacts of Amber;811491
ooC - Can I poke the boss monster with a stick and run away or do we have to wait on the tank to arrive to run this dungeon?


OOC: you can always try. :D

However you, Alric, & Caden are present and ready to explore the Old Graveyard. You two are welcome to pursue as Bright Feather & Karnath wait outside the area on the Main Trail. Naturally anything you discover on your own as active PCs would grant your own XP, as it has been before. Being active and taking risks produce consistent rewards.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on January 23, 2015, 10:07:39 AM
ooc - do I smell bait?

Alric looks to the others who seem to be deep in thought. He finally gets t ired and mutters. "New graveyard hopefully means new or young threats. And if this be how the new graveyard is like I'm sure glad we got side tracked from the Ole one. It probably full of vampires and liches"

Alric will make his way around the edge of the graveyard. He leaves Mal with the others who are waiting. He is sizing up the land, as if, he was hunting. Looking for any obvious patterns in the ground and markers. He especially takes notice of the trails left by his companions, as last he saw them, in the graveyard and tracks them backward.

are the markers mostly stone or wood?

OOC - Make what ever rolls you need. Thinking most are survival and perception, Alric is +4 on both.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on January 23, 2015, 12:43:29 PM
OOC: Bright Feather would like to move this along already hint hint...lets go do the job that will actually make us the money we need ie. lets go to the Old Graveyard and see what is up.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on January 23, 2015, 04:12:44 PM
Old Graveyard, 3 Miles out from Downtown exit

2:15 PM

Alric, Bright Feather, Caden, Karnath (npcs: acolyte & weaver)

Alric enters the graveyard in hunter mode, taking careful notice of any tracks and any unusual grave markers. Asking back to his companions where they've been in this graveyard, not being able to find any fresh human-sized tracks, Caden replies that he and Hanalee did not so much as enter the Old Graveyard as walk by it last night. Bright Feather seems impatient about Alric's interest to return to the Downtown New Graveyard[/U], even if he assumes this Old Graveyard is naturally more dangerous by implication. One can only surmise by Karnath's silence that she thinks similarly as Bright Feather.

A curious sprinkling of tracks, besides the obvious hares and occasional weasel family or coyote, recurs however. They seem to be small, clawed bipedal prints, most likely Kobolds. There are very fresh ones about here, particularly at the edge of this flowery graveyard towards the down mountain slope of bushes and splaying, mid-sized madrones, albeit so small as to assuredly be young ones.
-----------------------

The grave markers are mostly dressed stone here, which is an immediately noticeable difference. The acolyte goes into the story of how all this came to be, basically the founding story of Livonia's Lament. (Details if PCs are curious. Possibly tangentially related to the mystery here, but more oblique than immediately helpful.) Essentially the spouse of Livonia made it over the mountains, got rich, and came back years later with laborers to honor his first wife with this massive stone monument, and all the other lost settlers in this graveyard since then with dressed headstones.

The massive grave monument is a 10' tall obelisk over a large 5'x5'x5' dais. It is dedicated to Livonia "My Dearest Love Who Followed Me to the Ends of the Earth." It also has an epitaph of her Lament, "I'll die if I move an inch more. Ooh, a poppy flower —"

(Any Easterner PC with a passive perception over 10, or Native with passive perception over 12, will immediately note that Livonia's monument is likely a sub-surface mausoleum.)

Any active checks? Strategic PC placement? Prioritized objects of interest?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on January 23, 2015, 04:20:22 PM
OOC: The Blushing Phlox family is still waiting on their unusually quiet guest, Hanalee.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on January 23, 2015, 11:04:10 PM
Alric notices Brightfeather's impatience thinking to himself "Well if she would just help then we could get done sooner"

Alric will make a search around the marker potential mausoleum to see if any of it has been disturbed and look for any thing arcane or divine about it such as markings or carvings. He may not be able to identify them but he can at least point them out.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on January 24, 2015, 01:02:59 PM
Bright Feather studies Lavonia's Monument for a few moments.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on January 25, 2015, 06:46:48 AM
OOC: Good! How would Alric & Bright Feather like to proceed?

You may each Investigate (INT) by yourself, Alric looking for Arcane clues & Bright Feather looking for General clues.

Or Alric may Help Bright Feather Investigate (INT) for General clues.

Or Bright Feather may Help Alric Investigate (INT) for Arcane clues.
------------------

Caden & Karnath have yet to declare what they are doing at the Old Graveyard.
--------------------

Hanalee has yet to declare what she is doing at the Blushing Phlox Home.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on January 25, 2015, 05:51:26 PM
Caden will check out the grave markers and see if he notices anything that looks out of sorts or recently disturbed.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on January 25, 2015, 06:32:16 PM
Karni will avoid going back to the graveyard.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on January 25, 2015, 11:13:48 PM
OOC: Karnath, this is the Old Graveyard, not the Downtown New Graveyard. Only Hanalee & Caden saw this area last night. However, reticence from all graveyards is understandable after today's earlier experience.

OK, I am assuming no Help; everyone gets to roll separately.

Alric, roll Investigation (INT) to search for anything magical on Livonia's Monument.

Bright Feather, roll Investigation (INT) to search for anything else of general unusual note on Livonia's Monument.

Caden, roll Perception (WIS) to actively spot anything else unusual throughout the Old Graveyard grounds. (Alric already mentioned and pointed out the animal and Kobold tracks, and pointed out the fresh young kobold tracks towards the Old Graveyard's Eastern down-mountain edge towards bushes and wide trees.)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on January 25, 2015, 11:18:47 PM
I rolled an 11 in room.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on January 26, 2015, 12:33:32 AM
Caden does another circuit among the Old Graveyard. Walking by the Eastern down-mountain edge you hear a gasp, hurried by a brief murmur then silence. You continue on the perimeter and notice that some of the Southern, & especially South Eastern, headstones are settling deeper into the soil than normal.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on January 26, 2015, 10:37:19 AM
Alric not being trained in investigation can't help Bright but will look on his own.

OOC - I have no bonus and no proficiency and for some reason by computer is not letting me into the rolling room so could you do me the honors :) Thanks
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on January 26, 2015, 01:56:13 PM
Rolled 19. +4 For INT should be 23.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on January 26, 2015, 09:07:29 PM
Caden will quietly try to alert the others to the gasp he heard then he will move to investigate, making a mental not of the change in ground near the headstones for later investigation.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on January 30, 2015, 11:11:22 PM
Rolled a 9. So probably didn't discover much :)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on January 31, 2015, 12:38:53 PM
OOC: Well that was better than my roll of 4. We'll go with yours instead.

Caden signals to you all that he's heard something at the far Eastern edge of this graveyard and is checking it out. The weaver & acolyte remain nearest Alric & Bright Feather. Karnath still remains upon the Main Trail, not even entering this Old Graveyard.

OOC: Is Stealth being used at all before Investigate?
-------------------------

Alric searches about intently for magical clues. There's rapid poking with a stick, tapping & waving about each inch or so in case anything glows, sounds, or explodes. A bit distracting, but rather cute overall. Among your people, Bright Feather, that would be an admirable use of time for caution; clumsy and novice about arcana, but admirable patience.

Bright Feather notices (among other things about stone, workmanship, value, likely weight & labor. let me know if you're curious.) a fine line between the decorative stone framing and the main face of the dais epitaph. They don't seem covered with lichens or as weathered as other parts of the monument. Seems like they have been magically preserved and would move with a key —

"Hey! Look!" Alric somehow clambered atop the 5'x5'x5' raised platform for the obelisk and is on his hands and knees scrutinizing each inch. Looking up from your investigation has you looking at him eye-to-eye from above your eye level, a novel experience. He points out there's words atop this front-facing edge, and they're in Easterner.

Acolyte, being nearby, taller, & unoccupied, reads off the upward-facing inscription, "'Caress as if to turn back time, and call out your loved one for a song.'

"'They call the wind Moriah.'"

Looking up from the stone the acolyte adds, "Actually, no we don't. But whatever keeps Easterners happy and not messing with dangerous things." He shrugs and walks back to the young weaver to observe you both investigating.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on January 31, 2015, 12:53:10 PM
"Song Sheoot, I don't sing Bright how about you?" Alric mutters as he climbs down feeling a little foolish with how involved he became.

ooc- does the word Moriah mean anything to me. I mean Alric AoA gets the reference :)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on January 31, 2015, 01:01:31 PM
OOC: Actually, you have likely traveled enough to hear some old timers sing a song that has that line. Remembering all the lyrics is another matter.

Caden & Hanalee both have a chance due to being Easterners, but Hanalee might be too young.

Bright Feather might from sheer age, but there's a chance of being culturally isolated, too.

Karnath is likely too foreign to know of it.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on January 31, 2015, 01:43:34 PM
Quote from: Artifacts of Amber;813456
"Song Sheoot, I don't sing Bright how about you?" Alric mutters as he climbs down feeling a little foolish with how involved he became.

ooc- does the word Moriah mean anything to me. I mean Alric AoA gets the reference :)


Honestly songs aren't my interest but this headstone seems better preserved then should be possible without magic....
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 01, 2015, 01:35:33 AM
OOC: Caden, let me know how you are approaching the 'gasp mystery.'

Alric & Bright Feather, I will let you two marinate on how to approach this mystery. You both also have the acolyte & young weaver with you, which helps for location purposes.

Karnath & Hanalee, you both are currently continuing what you are doing. Let me know when you want to change anything.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on February 01, 2015, 01:37:17 PM
"So Bright think this is a hint to some magical password or somthin'?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on February 01, 2015, 02:15:44 PM
Caden is going to cautiously probe around for the source of the sound. He will attempt to sneak so as not to accidentally run head first into danger.

I rolled an 11 for whatever check I may need here.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 01, 2015, 03:18:31 PM
Alric & Bright Feather: GM freebie, it has nothing to do within the lyrics. You already know the loved one's name as it is chiseled upon the monument. You also already know which song, as it too is chiseled upon the monument. We can neatly wrap this up into Bright Feather's most excellent Investigation.

Caden: Along with your +5 in the skill, your Stealth is 16 until you break it. Basically you are assumed to have hidden behind some large tombstone or bush, waited, and are now slowly moving into that area silently, hiding as you go. If you make noise you can give away your position, but from the graveyard to the bushy edge was not hard. Unless I make you take some sort of "save" on dry twigs, you won't have to roll it continuously.

Search using Perception or Investigation would be a good idea before delving further.

Or you could always Attack in the general direction.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on February 02, 2015, 12:07:26 AM
I rolled a 7 for perception or investigate, which ever is more appropriate here.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 02, 2015, 12:45:59 PM
Old Graveyard, 3 Miles out from Downtown exit

between 2:15 & 2:30 PM

Alric, Bright Feather, Caden, Karnath (npcs: acolyte & weaver)

Alric, Bright Feather (acolyte & weaver)

Heavily invested in Livonia's Monument mystery. The acolyte & weaver whisper to one another while looking curiously about.

Karnath

Still on the Main Trail. Two Easterner passersby asks if your friends knew the deceased. One asks if you are scared of the dead since you are not with them. They most likely seem to be making idle chat, though the latter one seems to be flirting and wanting to be the hero. Part of them seem curious, yet intimidated, by a native woman dressed up for battle.

Caden

Once inside the shadowed East edge of vegetation, along the downslope, you pick among the dry twigs and broad tree branches. You occasionally hear snatches of movement within, just ahead, always just ahead. Looking upon the litter floor you see more of the small clawed foot tracks you saw before.

They must be moving north, along the graveyard edge, away from where you first hid behind a tombstone. Clever.

You hear occasional soft whimpering cut off by brief chittering, still too soft to locate. As you spend a good thirty seconds in this (Slow 100') pursuit you come across a tiny, unnatural bundling on the ground. It looks like bone and skin (bits of cloth?) wrapped up by sinew (twine?). Pick it up?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on February 02, 2015, 01:36:49 PM
Alric turns to the two " Ya'll got any ideas?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on February 02, 2015, 02:17:09 PM
Quote from: Artifacts of Amber;813605
"So Bright think this is a hint to some magical password or somthin'?"

Maybe not precisely it could be a physical key also. It almost seems as if it's an actual door or similar...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on February 02, 2015, 07:54:54 PM
Quote
... though the latter one seems to be flirting and wanting to be the hero.


To the sexist one she'll raise her shield and mace, ready to strike.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 03, 2015, 06:58:06 AM
Quote from: dragoner;813815
To the sexist one she'll raise her shield and mace, ready to strike.


He flinches, "Hey, thought a pretty lady could use a strong arm to lean on in her time of sorrow, is all. I get it, you're still all tore up inside." Backs away, hands up, to his friend and they start to head off as your silence kills their small talk.

Overheard, "Touchy... (in Easterner) are they that fiery in bed, too?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 04, 2015, 09:31:39 AM
Hanalee, Blushing Plox home

Hanalee looks at Mother Plox with interest, but caution. "I...yes, ma'am, I would like my marriage fortune told, but..."

She pauses upon hearing the hollow voice call out. "But I wouldn't want to upset your daughter. How is she faring? Still the same since I saw her last?"

Hanalee will wait for the young maid to come out, but is increasingly eager about the marriage fortune-telling.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on February 05, 2015, 12:36:10 PM
Quote from: Opaopajr;813855
He flinches, "Hey, thought a pretty lady could use a strong arm to lean on in her time of sorrow, is all. I get it, you're still all tore up inside." Backs away, hands up, to his friend and they start to head off as your silence kills their small talk.

Overheard, "Touchy... (in Easterner) are they that fiery in bed, too?"


So they are not only sexist, but racist; if the town is like this, then it should be destroyed.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 05, 2015, 01:33:09 PM
Quote from: dragoner;814223
So they are not only sexist, but racist; if the town is like this, then it should be destroyed.

Karnath — Are such concepts so alien and reviled from Karnath's home? You are welcome to try to impose your view of the world upon the town. The silver boomtown is 3 miles to your South.

------------
edit: Reminder, I normally run Common as the local Human Lingua Franca, but due to nations and tribes other Human languages exist. Also other Demihuman languages exist, just like the two elven languages experienced so far. Everyone around you, and you yourself, speaks: Western Shoshone. Western Shoshone is the regional Common.

Due to not creating every language group yet upon creation, I had no complete language list to give you. So your language slots are still dynamic. For personal flavor you are free to cement them according to your PC background.

Currently Karnath ("Nahuatl"), Caden & Hanalee ("Easterner," a.k.a. "English"), and Bright Feather (Shoshone Elven, now actual canon due to roleplay) are possible native tongues within this party. Choose of that what you wish for flavor. Yes, that means you could, as can NPCs, share secrets. But, beware, Boomtowns tend to become polyglot places!
-----------

Hanalee — roll me Repeat 6 1d6 in the rolz.org dice room. I'm gonna read your future! :D
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 05, 2015, 02:49:44 PM
The Blushing Phlox Home

still @ 1:15 PM

Hanalee

"Oh dear, don't be shy! Every woman wants to be a bride and have a home blooming with children." She beckons you inside with her hand, seems like she misses reliving her skill and importance.

/Crash of a wooden container deep in the house. You hear a sigh follow it.

"My daughter, she too is getting married this coming spring, a mere moon from now. She will be a beautiful bride. So much of herself she put into her trousseau.

"She will start her new home with that handsome human trapper who came from the reclusive elvish pines. They will have strong and winsome children. I will be a grandmother yet!" (it is now currently midsummer, her story seems odd.)

/A wracking sob from deep in the house, then abruptly cut short. The old father starts up a coughing fit, but it sounds forced, fake.

The old mother turns to her husband with concern, "Oh no, dad. Sweet daughter! Your father could use a steam bowl for his cough again." (Wasn't the daughter already preparing one?)

"I'm so glad my Flower has friends like you. Your hair will make her a lucky bridesmaid. Golden orange like the poppy common over the mountains. Oh, where is that bowl of pine nuts. I should read your marriage fortune for when you get married!"

Leaning in confidence and speaking softly, "They said I really had the talent for it in my day. But pride loses the Kitchen Basket Wife spirit's favor, so not so loud. What was your name again, honeycomb?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: dragoner on February 06, 2015, 10:33:46 AM
Quote from: Opaopajr;814232
Karnath — Are such concepts so alien and reviled ...


They are to me.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 06, 2015, 03:27:32 PM
Quote from: dragoner;814353
They are to me.


Shall Karnath go forth and smite them! :) They are just cresting the next ridge. You could reach them if you really push yourself! Give me a STR roll to see what DC you reach and we'll roll CON for sustaining the sprint.
:cheerleader:
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on February 08, 2015, 10:22:03 AM
Caden will pick up the bundling on the ground and give it a good looking over.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 08, 2015, 12:54:06 PM
Hanalee nods appreciatively, but keeps looking back at the source of the noise. "I...I'm just going to run inside, and see if she needs some help with that. But--don't worry! I'll be sure to get my fortune before I leave!"

Hanalee backs away slowly, then walks briskly through the house to see what is causing all the noise. "Hello?" she calls out.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 08, 2015, 03:19:34 PM
Old Graveyard, 3 miles from downtown

still @ 2:15 PM

Alric, Bright Feather, Caden, Karnath (npc: acolyte & weaver)

Caden

The bundle is the furry skin of a marmot splayed out with what feels like extra bones inside. The dried, unidentified rodent head doesn't match the rest of the fur. The bony limbs sticking out are bird wing bones, though. Little bits of grass and flowered stems are tied about here and there.

The sounds are getting further away from you, and then go silent.
-------------

Karnath

Rolling for pursuit? Or staying within sight of your friends. They are cresting the next rise and will likely take a few rounds of sprinting to get to them. You'd likely encounter them over the ridge.
---------------

Alric & Bright Feather

The acolyte ends his head-to-head chat with the weaver. He approaches you two while the weaver goes behind the monument out of your sight. "Our elders, well almost our elders' elders now, thought well of Livonia's man. He cared deeply and at great expense returned to honor her. Part of our agreement, after silver was found around his return, was to help travelers."

You hear intoning from behind the monument. It sounds like the voice of the weaver who is currently out of sight.

"He spent some time here with many laborers to set up this large, strange boulder. Others who passed were reburied here, with the thin rocks you see here, and both his people and ours did ceremony for their remains. And this area has enjoyed a quiet peace since."

The intoning behind the monument continues, and you hear the transferring of liquids between containers.

The acolyte continues to engage both of you in the creation of this place and the rise of the boomtown.
--------------------------------

Blushing Phlox Home

Hanalee

"Oh, but it is just a moment, dear. Wait, I still can do it! Do not forget me, I feel alone..."

You break off and go deeper inside the home towards the sounds. You see the bride-not-to-be holding a cloth to her hand and staring at a kettle on a cast iron pot belly stove. There is a wooden bowl on the counter with sage, mint, pine needles, and other leaves inside. She doesn't break her gaze upon the kettle as you enter.

"Water's almost hot. Ready for the medicine steam." Her voice is as disembodied and impossibly sad as ever. Her face looks like it actually shed a tear, though.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on February 08, 2015, 03:38:42 PM
Alric nods and listens to the Acolyte as he begins to shuffle and quietly attempt to disengage to see what the weaver is doing.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 08, 2015, 04:29:59 PM
Quote from: Artifacts of Amber;814686
Alric nods and listens to the Acolyte as he begins to shuffle and quietly attempt to disengage to see what the weaver is doing.


The acolyte tries to keep you both in range, occasionally moving to do so.

How would you like to do this while keeping up appearances?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 08, 2015, 09:47:36 PM
Blushing Phlox Home

Hanalee hears Mother Phlox's brief lamentation as she leaves her, and regrets disappointing the woman but has to investigate.

As she enters the room she places her hands on the daughter's hands before she can reach the kettle. "Here--let me do it." She goes to the kettle, and waits for the girl to tell her what to do next.

"Your mother...does she know about what happened? She seems to think...er, everything's okay."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 09, 2015, 05:37:09 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;814760
Blushing Phlox Home

As she enters the room she places her hands on the daughter's hands before she can reach the kettle. "Here--let me do it." She goes to the kettle, and waits for the girl to tell her what to do next.

"Your mother...does she know about what happened? She seems to think...er, everything's okay."


Nodding recognition of your offer she accepts your touch and backs away. As you attend to the kettle you hear a flurry of action behind you. Upon looking back she still seems to be holding her hand in cloth with the other. There is an obvious cloth that wasn't there before in a far side of the counter basket, though. You turn to your task at hand.

"Mother has been unwell for months now. But the news this spring hit her hard." Her understatement and deflection about her loss is dark like the humor of the suicidal. Words so chilling it is a relief you don't have to see her face yet.

"Time does not pass for her anymore. Like she is up in the distant ice with our great bear ancestors." A frisson goes up your spine at her slight shift in tone, a touch of envy.

"The knowledge." She rejoins you at the steam bowl, looking into it, her reference obvious. "She relives it each time, you know."

She walks out to the room with her parents, cupping her wounded? hand in cloth. The assumption to help with the medicine bowl is self-apparent.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on February 09, 2015, 10:33:08 AM
Alrci nods as if in understanding then suddenly turns and walks around to see what the weaver is doing as if a thought just entered his mind.

"Don't wander around here it's dangerous" Alric says to the weaver.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on February 09, 2015, 04:33:57 PM
Caden will keep hold of the bones for later examination, perhaps one of the others could make more sense of them. He will continue the pursuit of the sounds, picking up again by heading in the last direction he heard them from as best as he can tell.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 10, 2015, 06:39:21 PM
Quote from: Artifacts of Amber;814871
"Don't wander around here it's dangerous" Alric says to the weaver.


You cross to the backside of the monument to catch the weaver pouring a bit of water from her small basket upon her other hand, rinsing it. She returns your look with a plain smile, seems like whatever she did is already done. "Could use a bit of refreshment?" she holds out to you the tiny basket with some of the water remains.

The acolyte continues to talk to Bright Feather about the story of Livonia's Lament and lets it trail off, stepping back. "Hopefully that info will help you. We'll leave it to you now." He and the weaver will step to the side together and watch you both in smiling silence.

-------------------

Quote from: Arkansan;814923
Caden will keep hold of the bones for later examination, perhaps one of the others could make more sense of them. He will continue the pursuit of the sounds, picking up again by heading in the last direction he heard them from as best as he can tell.


Continuing on (retaining your Stealth value) you go through madrones and scrub towards the last known sound. You catch a snippet of nearby frightened breathing, you must along the right path. You guess within another stealth move through difficult terrain will get whoever it is within your reach.

The challenge now is choosing left or right — and then which 5' square in front of you (left, right, or center) to Search.

(Stealth is at a Slow pace, 1/3 of your Speed, (20'/rd). Walking through Difficult Terrain halves your Speed, (10'/rd). You have a range of 5x 5' square areas from which to guess. Where you move determines a range of 3x 5' square areas to search within the 25' wide, woody, sloped border. Stealth v. Stealth happy, fun contest!)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on February 11, 2015, 10:00:36 AM
Alric gets his huff up a bit. He moves up face to face with the weaver. "Listen I don't have time for your games. I heard you doin something back here so tell me what it was"

"If your not helpin us then you can leave"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 12, 2015, 02:51:15 AM
The acolyte chimes in flawlessly, with inscrutable face, "We're here to observe. And when evening comes bring you to the elders to chat."

The weaver puts out her hand, as if to have the acolyte stand down, and adds in conciliation, "It was a discreet ablution to honor the spirits here. We do like to keep some things private among our people, but if you must know..." She nods with curious respect, as if she had to offer a distasteful gift. "We are newly met. As outsiders, your distrust is understandable."

They stay quietly smiling together, waiting whether this calmed your ire. "Please, work as though we are not in the way," adds the acolyte.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on February 12, 2015, 09:57:02 AM
"Well if you need to do any more "ceremonies" it will be a might bit more helpful to let us know. I don't like toying around with these here spirits, and I like it less when people be toyin' around with me. Trust isn't the issue, don't need to trust you to accept your life's ways. What you do is your business until it interferes with mine."

He stands squarely and remains so until he sees that they understand even if they might not agree.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 13, 2015, 04:31:22 AM
"If I can assure you, we would not play tricks upon the spirits resting here," says the weaver.

"And watching your business without interfering is our business," adds the acolyte. "You are in good hands."

Weaver continues, "By the way, your friends' business is noticeably not your business." She nods towards Karnath on the trail and the last known whereabouts of Caden. "Is there a reason you travel together? Are they protecting servants?"

The acolyte smiles and looks up innocently during this question.

Karnath, what are you doing? Fighting or still standing?

Caden, have you decided which way to go?

Hanalee, shall we assume you follow bringing the medicine steam bowl? Or do you delay a moment in the kitchen to mess with something?

Alric & Bright Feather, have you decided how to approach this Livonia's Monument mystery? Are you continuing your investigation elsewhere in the Old Graveyard?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 13, 2015, 07:37:58 AM
Hanalee will inspect the cloth sitting in the basket, perhaps taking it with her if she deems it necessary, and then follow with the steam bowl.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on February 13, 2015, 01:15:31 PM
Alric in typical hunter fashion will merely grunt and nod still not trusting their secrecy. "We fell together like many things. None of us are idle hands."

He walks back to Brightfeather. "So what ya think?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on February 15, 2015, 04:34:47 PM
Caden chooses to go left on both accounts.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 15, 2015, 11:37:04 PM
The Blushing Phlox Home

still @ 1:15 PM

Hanalee

There is a bit of blood on the towel, and there is a bloody paring knife inside. It is also a bit moist & warm, from hot water likely. Perhaps she injured herself preparing the dried leaves?
------------------

Old Graveyard

still @ 2:15 PM

Alric, Bright Feather, Caden, & Karnath (npc: acolyte & weaver)

Caden

Heading left both times you are checking the 5' sq. closest to the Old Graveyard. And find nothing. And you still 'sense' something nearby.

You do hear movement to your right, as though whatever it is is skirting around behind you. But it is hard to place.

You have just Searched one of the eight 5' squares around you. You can deduce that at least five of those eight squares are not relevant. The fifteen by fifteen feet to your right is having activity. You have two rounds: decide your moves and actions.
------------

Alric & Bright Feather, tell me what you are doing. You are here to investigate a mystery of the night. Something about red eyes, some short to the ground, but one that is human height. Clues can be anywhere.

Karnath is still standing in the Main Trail, mace and shield up, menacing. A miner with a donkey coming down towards town looks alarmed and crosses over to the far side of the Main Trail. She looks intimidated, poor dear.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on February 16, 2015, 11:23:46 AM
Caden will head to the right trying to deduce the origin of the noise.

Rolled a 10 in room for any needed checks.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 16, 2015, 08:03:01 PM
Quote from: Arkansan;815963
Caden will head to the right trying to deduce the origin of the noise.

Rolled a 10 in room for any needed checks.


Collision is actually a concern at this point. Both groups have solid stealth, leaving you blind to each other. Let us shift into actual 5e round terminology.

Refresher: you are Stealthed, +1' move cost, and Difficult Terrain, +1' move cost. Your 30' Speed per Round is down to 10'.

I need you to sequence Rd. 1, with its Move & Act (and Free Interact w/ Environment), and then Rd. 2, with its Move & Act (and Free Interact w/ Environment). Remember, you can do it in any order.

Assuming Right for first 5', we'll keep your current facing for ease of communication, are you Moving Up, Mid, or Down? And what about your next 5'? Are you acting (or interacting) in between? I'll use your 10 for your declared action.

I am going into the dice room to move the unknown about.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on February 17, 2015, 07:16:54 AM
Alric will move around the area trying to see if the position of the main burial Obelisk seems different. Did everything just grow out of it like they say.

He will use survival to see if anything looks unnatural

and investigation in general while he thinks to see if any clues come to mind

Perception is a 19 + 4 = 23

Survival is 9 + 4 =13

investigation is 6 +0 = 6

Alric sees but does not understand or put to get there :)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 19, 2015, 10:13:26 AM
Hanalee folds the bloody blade back under the towel and takes both with her, chasing after Flower.

"Hey--are you okay?" the fighter asks the girl rather forcefully, and shows the girl the stained towel. "I think you need to come clean...your mother may be in denial, but there's no use ignoring the truth!"

"I think...there is something unnatural going on here, Flower. If you're under some sort of influence, you need to fight it..."


(OOC: Does the daughter go by 'Flower' or is that the mother's name for her? I've been referring to her as 'the daughter' or somesuch :D)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on February 20, 2015, 12:57:31 AM
Caden will keep right for the first '5, pausing at some point to try and scan the area for any potential threats. He will carry on that path for the 2nd round he will look for a spot to hide and see if he can wait out the situation and see what he observes.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 22, 2015, 06:58:13 AM
The Blushing Phlox Home

still @ 1:15 PM

Hanalee

She looks at you, and the items in your hand, with resigned eyes, "Oh, you have forgotten the medicine steam bowl. My father's cough needs the healing steam."

"I see you have found I had an accident in the kitchen. It is nothing, but I would appreciate it if you could bring in the medicine bowl. I am rather tied up applying pressure to the wound."

Her voice is still ethereal and detached. Looking into her eyes and body language, you cannot tell if she is not in control of herself. If there is possession like you experienced, there's no fight from her.

(Haven't named her yet. Didn't expect her to be so important. :) Daughter will do for now. We'll see if she warrants one in the future.)
-------------------------------

Old Graveyard

still @ 2:15 PM

Alric, Bright Feather, Caden, Karnath (npc: acolyte & weaver)

Alric

Things you already know:
1. animals travel here, lots of hares, including a few small predators like coyote.
2. smaller than usual kobolds have fresher tracks here, likely 'children'?
3. other kobold tracks present, but larger and older. maybe day or so since last.
4. that monument likely goes underground a bit, like for a room. heard of this weird Easterner tradition.

Things you just learned:
1. (Survival) those older kobold tracks are heavier than normal. Strange circular divots next to them, too.
2. (Perception) several S & SE tombstones are more sunken into the earth. (Investigation) gophers? unlikely here, but maybe gophers.
3. (Survival) those young kobold tracks are common here, weirdly so. They go all around, erratic, like chasing things and then running in circles.
4. (Perception) several wildflowers have broken off. plucked? a poppy garland!?
5. (Perception) Livonia's monument has suffered almost no weathering. Most of the other tombstones have. There's a sequence between those tombstones which also don't suffer weathering, but the SE corner is empty in spots which breaks pattern.
(Investigation) maybe there is no pattern. just the way wind and water works.

The acolyte and weaver watch you as you tour around the Old Graveyard, usually a good 30' pace behind, both hands behind their back, silent, bright eyes and smiling. Pause when you pause, move when you move. Unnerving.

Bright Feather is left in the center with the monument, likely solving the puzzle. Karnath is still ready for battle on the Main Trail, the uncommon traveller giving her a very wide berth. She seems like she's had quite enough of unknown things.
-----------------------------------------

Old Graveyard, down mountain border rough

still @ 2:15 PM

(I am also glad I rolled out movement ahead of time. Serendipity awaits.)

Caden

You were 10' from the rough's edge to the graveyard. Moving 5' directly to your right, through the thick mesh of dry tree branches and brush, you find nothing and then stop to Search in a (undefined, hence random) direction. Nothing. You don't use the rest of that round's movement, still listening for clues.

Next round you continue right 5'. Now 15' going into 20' inside of the 25' width rough...

Oh shit! Furry scaled children! Three of them! They look as Surprised as you! They flinch, and one grabs another instinctively calling out, "Ennee! (cry of shock, surprise, 'oh no!')"
------------------------------

Alric (npc: acolyte & weaver)

You all hear a high pitched "Oh no!" come from inside the rough down slope vegetation further North from your SE exploration. If you run parallel to the rough... maybe a round or two?

Bright Feather

As you study the monument, you hear a garbled high pitched cry behind you, towards the Old Graveyard edge down slope. Alric and the two Shoshone people are close to that edge, but off center from the origin. You are good distance aways.

Karnath

You faintly hear a higher pitched cry from somewhere in the Old Graveyard direction. Déjà vu? Mind tricks? Bright Feather is distant, but looks like her head is turned.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on February 22, 2015, 01:48:01 PM
Alric will give the two Followers a hard stare (as if to say stay here) then scramble toward the sound. He is moving cautious (ie not running) but not slow.

He seemed to understand the language so feels he can help.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 22, 2015, 08:38:51 PM
(If you took Common, you understand Human Shoshone and its dialects. The parentheses translation next to it is there to help. Those are just words thrown in for setting flavor -- hope you enjoy them. I'll emphasize when it is in a different language, like writing "in Easterner," or "in Elven Paiute," or "unintelligible.")
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 24, 2015, 08:14:27 AM
(Oops! I intended for Hana to bring the bowl as well--)

Retrieving the steam bowl, Hanalee presents it to Father, and then sees what she can do about Daughter's wound.

"I know it's been a hard time--but your life isn't over yet. You need to be strong..."

(Hana will wait to hear Daughter's response. As there's not much more Hanalee can do from an investigation standpoint, I think it's high-time she reconvene with the others on their expedition. Not letting this go, however--something's amiss in the Blushing Phlox home, and Hanalee intends to discover it!)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 24, 2015, 11:15:06 AM
... :o Unexpected territory, but let's roll with it. Hanalee, roll me a Persuasion (CHA) skill check.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 24, 2015, 07:56:44 PM
I don't think rolz.org is working anymore, even the "old stable" version :(

Hanalee's Perception/Charisma roll
1d20=9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4786236/)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 25, 2015, 03:46:19 PM
Weird, I'm able to log onto it now on the tablet, but it didn't work on the laptop. I also used a search engine for the laptop and directly typed in rolz.org in the tablet, but I don't know if that has to do with anything. Regardless, I inputted your roll into the Livonia's Lament room, so it is now "officially logged as part of your permanent record." :nono:

Blushing Phlox Home

still @ 1:15 PM (because even if we move slow, the characters are not :D)

The daughter straightens up and looks at you, Hanalee, incredulously, like someone threw cold water upon her. You sense her staring at you a good while even as you place the medicine bowl under her father's chair. Standing back up you see her stare at you lost, as if you spoke utter madness, like a delay between the sounds you made and the meaning of your words.

"Sweet child be proper to our guest. Fetch a sitting hide for your friend here so I may read her marriage fortune." The mother herself looks a little concerned at her daughter's exposed confusion.

The daughter then sinks back into a resigned compliant state and shuffles off. She moves like her body goes through the motions but her spirit delays from total depression. Possession? Maybe, but doubtful, for then who is taking advantage of whom?

The father starts to cough up some phlem.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on February 27, 2015, 12:01:26 AM
Caden gives a shout of surprise as well. As soon as he recovers his wits he will attempt to take as non threatening a posture as possible and make some sort of communication.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 27, 2015, 02:54:17 AM
Caden

"Grackto!" the one with poppies tucked behind its ears points at the fur & bone bundle you are holding. It is obviously scared and shrinking away, but also attempting to reach out towards the bundle. It is rather comically ineffective.

One of the others, the largest of them and with a canine tooth necklace, tries to hold onto and shuffle back the one with flowers in its ears, intervening between. The other, the smallest, drops to its knees and gnaws on a leg bone tied to a thong around its neck, tugging at its ear with the other claw. It never takes its big, scared eyes off you as it purrs? while gnawing.

The largest of them, with the tooth necklace brandishes a big, pointy bone and jabs it in front missing easily as it never gets closer, intermittently barking, "Krrr—gra! Cha'! Cha'! Krrrr—gra!"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 27, 2015, 10:40:49 AM
Hanalee will take her fortune reading, and then head to meet up with the others...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on February 27, 2015, 10:49:39 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;818130
Hanalee will take her fortune reading, and then head to meet up with the others...


Can you access rolz.org directly anymore? If not, roll 1d6 6x and I'll take it from there. This ritualized fortune telling process will likely spill into the early part of 1:15~1:30 PM.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on February 27, 2015, 11:13:54 AM
It's working for me now. At work I'm on Internet Explorer, but rolz doesn't work with my Chrome at home :/
Kent: repeat 6 1D6 => 2 ; 1 ; 4 ; 6 ; 3 ; 4
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on February 28, 2015, 09:54:55 PM
Caden slowly reaches down and out the bundle he is holding down. He steps back a few steps and puts his hands up near his face to signal he means no threat.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on March 01, 2015, 12:00:47 AM
Blushing Phlox Home

slipping into 1:30 PM

Hanalee

2,1,4,6,3,4

Getting a snow hare pelt, the daughter offers you a place to sit before her mother. She then returns to the kitchen mumbling some excuse.

The elderly mother then takes a deep breath and starts the ceremony. She seems to rejuvenate twenty years. Shaking the female & male pine cones, she hands the female one to you and asks you to put it in the bowl (wood mortar?) and smash it with a river rock (pestle?). Pine nuts and wooden lobes strew about the wide bow, and she asks you to stop so that she may read.

"The strength of your relationship is lax in its bond, and there is no speed or urgency to reach each other. There is a sense of taking for granted what you have. However there is vigor between you two, an endurance, probably built by a long time relationship. You are so young, so you likely must have started as childhood friends.

"You share a sympathetic outlook, like you see eye to eye. There seemed like a logic to you both getting together, like the bond's longevity should naturally progress into marriage. However you both lapse into moments of poor sense, and together too. You have good crow sense, but slip into ground squirrel moments. However you both are so fun and lively chasing about your dens, you will make a happy home."

"If you have children you will be fun parents, if very laid back. Have many children, just in case of benign neglect. The large family will keep an eye out for each other."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on March 01, 2015, 12:15:41 AM
Quote from: Arkansan;818379
Caden slowly reaches down and out the bundle he is holding down. He steps back a few steps and puts his hands up near his face to signal he means no threat.

"Cha'! Cha'! — Hanaa! (yeowch!)" It seems the one with flowers tucked in its ears struggled to break through the necklaced-one once you set down the bundle. Finally it breaks free and rushes to the bundle, cradling it, shouting, "Grackto!" The necklaced-one shakes its empty hand, the one holding the other back, as if it got hurt. It starts barking angry sounds at the flowered-one all the while the flowered-one coos to the bundle.

The gnaw-bone-one still kneeling scrunches up to the necklaced-one's leg and grabs around it. It still gnaws and purrs while still staring at you. The necklaced-one brushes the gnaw-bone-one's head, then points its sharp bone at you and barks, hisses, and growls at you. There's a rhythm to it, but still unintelligible.

"Grackto... you're safe now," the flowered-one then starts nibble grooming and licking the furred bone bundle.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on March 03, 2015, 01:19:27 AM
Caden asks of them "I suppose that belongs to you"?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on March 03, 2015, 03:06:56 AM
"Not 'that'. 'He'. And he has a name, Grackto." The flower-eared one responds to you automatically without looking up to you or breaking off for long its attentive grooming of the bundle. "And you're scaring him," it then gives you a furtive sideways look as it starts to slowly sidle away from you.

Meanwhile the tooth-necklace one looks back to the flower-eared one, then you, and back to the flower-eared one in confusion. The tooth-necklace one starts to make its barking hiss-growls at the other, though calmer. You passively notice it still wears a confused face, however, as you guess it recently learned something unexpected about its companion. (Your passive Insight of 12 exceeds the DC, thus this is obvious to you)

The flower-eared one replies back with a hiss-bark and shrugs away from you, holding tighter to the groomed bundle. "No, scary. ." Squats down and goes to grooming. The gnaw-bone one stops gnawing and the thonged bone drops back down as a necklace. It hugs the tooth-necklace one and leans its head against the other's thigh, trying to look away from you.

Next round: response?

Alric, I assume you are Move+Dash each round for 50'. This is the end of the second round since you heard the cry. By next round — after the next exchange between Caden & 'the mysterious thingies' — you will finally end around the area you think you heard the cry come from. On the fourth round you may engage a 25' wide swath of this band of rough where you think your friend Caden & whatever made that cry should be.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on March 03, 2015, 08:32:29 PM
Alric will move quickly till he can (Hopefully) hear Caden then slow down unless he sounds distressed. Passive Perception is 14
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on March 05, 2015, 01:38:47 AM
(We'll have another pass between Caden & the critters and then we'll have you try to guesstimate whether he's OK and roughly which area.)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on March 05, 2015, 11:54:19 AM
Caden tries to take as neutral a posture as he can, "Oh sorry I didn't realize it was a him not an it" he says to the apparent leader. Caden will back up a few paces and give them some space hoping to stall until someone else arrives. This situation is a bit odd for him to handle alone.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on March 11, 2015, 10:27:07 AM
"Good crow sense," Hanalee repeats, and pauses thoughtfully before rising from the hare pelt.

She thanks Mother Phlox for her time, goes to the kitchen to check on Daughter one last time and bid her adieu, then leaves the Phlox Home and heads to find her allies...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on March 12, 2015, 07:37:25 PM
Old Graveyard, natural perimeter rough

ending @ 2:15

Caden

Backing up some (5') you leave space where either of you may flee without incurring the potential to be grabbed in response (out of mutual reach, no OAs). The mostly woody foliage obscures light from trickling in and interferes with direct line of sight (Dim Light & moderate foliage, Lightly Obscured, thus Disadv on Perception (WIS) checks. Also woody branches interfere with ranged attacks, Disadv on Ranged Atks). This is useful for you both if either of you desire to flee.

Looking up from its nervous? grooming the flowered-one tentatively adds,"Grackto is thankful." To emphasize she lifts the fur & bone bundle and nudges a jutting bone in three-part repetition. Hard to tell which "limb" it is from this light.

The tooth-necklace one watches you both, and then adds in softer purrs and growls toward the flowered-one. The flowered-one glances back and then looks back to its bundle. "Grackto wants to know his rescuer's name." Gnaw-bone-one peeks at you between the tooth-necklaced-one's legs.
------------------------------------

Alric (npc: acolyte & weaver)

You hear mumbling sounds, almost like talking?, and can roughly rule out the rightmost 5' of this 25' band of rough. It seems a good ways in there, but there's only one way to be sure, and that's go in. Favoring left or right of the 20' band will leave one stretch of 5' out, and going in is going to look like a 5’ Spd per round endeavor. The woody branches are inconvenient to both light, direct lines, and terrain.
----------------------------

Bright Feather

Bright Feather is still by Livonia's Monument puzzling out the clues.
--------------------

Main Trail

Karnath

Karnath is still on the Main Trail, standing at the ready, shield drawn, mace up, grimacing. Mercifully no passersby are nearby, but a few more seem to be coming from the boomtown a good ways away (perhaps a minute or two).
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on March 12, 2015, 07:53:41 PM
Caden replies slowly "My name is Caden, your quite welcome for the rescue".
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on March 16, 2015, 09:46:34 PM
[double post]
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on March 16, 2015, 10:00:23 PM
Caden

"Thank you, Caden," flower-ear faces the fur-bone bundle towards you and squeezes it in a speaking pantomime. "My mommy was so sad," bows its head toward flower-ear and then they hug. Flower-ear then looks furtively at you, "Thank you. Please don't kill us. We got no shiny."
--------------

Alric

Left or Right? Shout? Other Act?
--------------

Hanalee

1:30 PM

From halfway in Livonia's Lament to the Old Graveyard is 3.25 miles. It will take 1 hour and 5 minutes if you go at a normal pace. You will arrive at 2:35 PM, barring interruption. Let me know if you want to change your pace.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on March 17, 2015, 02:20:44 AM
Caden nods "Your are very welcome, I assure you I'm not here to harm anyone I'm not looking for anything shiny. Who is your mommy? She must be worried about you."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on March 17, 2015, 07:12:12 AM
Alric

(Caden informed you and Bright Feather (and the npcs) about going off to the edge of the Old Graveyard to investigate something. You are pretty sure, you hope, he should be in there somewhere.)

retro insert: "Hello... Caden? ... Who's there?" You step into woodsy rough 5', favoring the left side of likely noise locations. You passively notice the acolyte and weaver do no follow you inside the rough.
---------------

Caden

"My mommy is the Badger Handmaiden. She let's me play in the flowery stone field while she waters the badgers. As long as we hide from you mangy tall ones, she said we'd be safe."

A bit braver from curiosity, she cranes her neck closer as to see you better through the brush. "Why do you not groom away the biting insects and instead let your hair fall off? Does it not itch your kind? Do you not like to be clean?"

Tooth-necklace & gnaw-bone just watch the exchange between you two in silence.
-------------

For simplicity, not Combat, I will start labeling these exchanges by Rounds. The next Caden+Alric+critters go around will be Round 1. Until otherwise indicated everyone else is maintaining their current activity.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on March 17, 2015, 07:23:36 PM
(if Alric saw Caden come this way then he calls for him by name)

"Hello . . . Who's there?"  

Alric heads left if he has no other indications.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on March 18, 2015, 06:07:58 AM
Everyone, Wherever You Are

from 2:30 PM onward

Main Street Downtown

Hanalee

"Hey, sugar. Your uncle's back in town. No more wild nights with the lasses for a while, huh?" A tavern belle you've partied with Georgette and others before crosses your path and drops the hint. News travels fast 'round here, as you remember. She saunters off, continuing on across the Main Street, letting you do your own thing.

[time & distance passes]

Main Trail, Old Graveyard direction

Phew, warm afternoon. Only a ridge or two more to get to the Old Graveyard. Ooh, there's where you snuck up all the way to Caden while he and the Grim Man had a standoff. Oh, that was some adventure talking that man down, and him and Caden didn't even see you till here! That means you're almost there, about 5 minutes more...
---------------------

Main Trail, next to Old Graveyard

Karnath

"Get off my claim! Go on now, git, git!" The sound of a chase further up the Main Trail.

You see a pair of native boys scramble over the Main Trail ridge North from here, coming hurriedly on down. They look Shoshone, but don't look exactly like the ones from town. The two boys are dropping some leaves, berries, and pinecones along the way.

They are being chased by a dour Easterner man, who stops his pursuit near the slope's crest and watches the kids run away. "And don't be snoopin' where you don't belong!" Arms akimbo he watches them head down before satisfied and turning back over the crest and out of sight.

"Oh, it's that warrior stranger for Grandma Spider, from the far South." One of the boys calls to the other and points at Karnath as they are running. "She's angry, too! We must run!"

They both look like they are fleeing punishment and speed on down the trail towards town, "Ahhhhhh!"
----------------------

Old Graveyard, Livonia's Monument

Bright Feather

You lightly hear a commotion coming from the Main Trail in front of you. You also lightly hear Alric calling into the rough vegetation at the Old Graveyard's edge behind you. So many distractions, and after such a peaceful stretch.

But y'know, this place feels alright, with its flowers and its distance from daily worries. You could see how someone could relax and rest here, rather removed from it all. It would be a good place for a song and memories of lost loved ones.

... But it didn't say you had to sing, the monument did. Did it?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on March 18, 2015, 08:31:25 AM
Hanalee resolves to visit her uncle later in the day. But first thing's first--

Upon reaching the Old Graveyard, Hana will walk cautiously until she sees a familiar face.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on March 18, 2015, 08:35:41 PM
still 5 minutes away from Old Graveyard

Hanalee

In about 2 minutes from now you'll see two native boys running down the Main Trail towards you, shouting from fear and dropping things in their wake. "Ahh! Angry miner and foreigner priestess!" "Hurry cousin, before they catch us!"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on March 21, 2015, 12:36:20 AM
Caden pauses appraising the situation "Is there anything else I could do to help you?" he asks.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on March 21, 2015, 05:02:56 AM
Round 1

Quote from: Arkansan;821207
Caden pauses appraising the situation "Is there anything else I could do to help you?" he asks.
-----------------

Caden

The trio look towards the sound calling your name. They have a quick exchange in their strange language. Then flowered-one then turns to ask you hurriedly, "Why are you here? We were safe here. We got permission."

The other two back off a bit, deeper into the rough away from you. Flower-ear hesitates, but finally does so as well. "Why Caden? Why?" They hesitate now 10’ away for a response next turn, but who knows how long after that.
---------------

Alric

Previously Alric entered 5' in the overgrown, woody brush edging the Old Graveyard, leaving the acolyte and weaver behind. He took his action to Stealth, just in case Caden is in danger, talking for his life. (GM rolls for this previous action to keep things coherent and flowing — with ADV because it is unfair to deprive players the choice to their own dice. Rolled 15, +4 for DEX; Stealth is currently 19.)

This round he moves another 10' inside hugging to the left side of the chunk of hedge he was facing. The sounds are extremely close now, as if right on top of them.

There are three shapes directly in front of you Alric. They seem small, like your height, but through the dim blur not exactly a halfling silhouette. It is hard to see without either: Breaking Stealth and colliding into them, Searching 5' Directly in Front. What do you do, Alric?

One just finishes saying in distress, "Why Caden? Why?"

Where's Caden? Must be close. What did he do? Is he in danger, or endangering these three?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Mr. Kent on March 22, 2015, 01:07:34 AM
"Hey! Slow down kids!" Hanalee shouts to the boys. "What's going on?"

She stops to see what they've dropped, picking items up if she can.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on March 23, 2015, 05:12:00 PM
If I hear or see Caden I will approach him. Otherwise I head off to the left hand side of the area I am moving through.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on March 24, 2015, 10:15:02 AM
Quote from: Artifacts of Amber;821571
If I hear or see Caden I will approach him. Otherwise I head off to the left hand side of the area I am moving through.


You cannot see Caden, you'd have to guess.

Though Passive Perception 14 is great, you do have Disadvantage in this Dim Light & Light Obscurement. That's -5 to your passive, thus 9. You would have to waste actions to Search (I'd allow either Investigate or Perceive here) the conversation sounds and that'll mess with your already low movement.

I assume you are using Stealth (2/3 Spd). It is also Difficult Terrain (1/2 Spd). That's 8' for you, or since I'm using 5' squares for secrecy convenience, 1 square Spd movement per round. Naturally, you may use your Dash action for an additional Spd movement per round, for up to 2 squares (10'). I will assume this as default as to speed up this encounter.

Please let me know if you are NOT using Stealth & NOT using your action for extra movement. Upon clarification, I will update your status in the round.

This will all matter for surprise collisions later.

Caden already knows where to look, having already collided with them and keeping an eye on each other as they mutually give one another distance.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on March 24, 2015, 10:11:55 PM
Sounds good. then I default to heading left quietly.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on March 25, 2015, 07:06:23 AM
Round 1 (repost)

Alric

Previously Alric entered 5' in the overgrown, woody brush edging the Old Graveyard, leaving the acolyte and weaver behind. He took his action to Stealth, just in case Caden is in danger, talking for his life. (GM rolls for this previous action to keep things coherent and flowing — with ADV because it is unfair to deprive players the choice to their own dice. Rolled 15, +4 for DEX; Stealth is currently 19.)

This round he moves another 10' inside hugging to the left side of the chunk of hedge he was facing. The sounds are extremely close now, as if right on top of them.

There are three shapes directly in front of you Alric. They seem small, like your height, but through the dim blur not exactly a halfling silhouette. It is hard to see without either: Breaking Stealth and colliding into them, Searching 5' Directly in Front. What do you do, Alric?

One just finishes saying in distress, "Why Caden? Why?"

Where's Caden? Must be close. What did he do? Is he in danger, or endangering these three?

Where have we deposited Mal during all this? Guarding Karnath? Bright Feather?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on March 25, 2015, 07:20:59 AM
Quote from: Mr. Kent;821295
"Hey! Slow down kids!" Hanalee shouts to the boys. "What's going on?"

She stops to see what they've dropped, picking items up if she can.

Main Trail, near Old Graveyard

Hanalee

2:32 PM

"Huh? Wha? We didn't do anything wrong! Save us from their anger! You're not gonna beat us, too, are yah?" They slow down and stop, but look backwards now and again as if still afraid of getting caught.

"We were just picking up some pine cones to roast and looking around outside town. Honest!" As you see some of what they've dropped as you go pick it up, this part is obviously true.

"Our clan's been visiting our cousins here at Haunted Sweetwater Camp, and man! have the elder's been right about the news how thing've changed. We got tired from the Brother Snake ceremony and took a break. We're not full adult Shoshone so we can; it's a lot of energy to maintain. It's sad to hear about the young mother, though..."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on March 25, 2015, 07:35:07 PM
Mal waits at the edge of the hedge, probably close to the other two. He is not a combat creature and something of a coward. (think Ambrosia in Labyrinth)

I will stop and listen. It does not sound like Caden is in danger and I will spend this round continuing stealth but using perception as best I can in the thick hedge. More ears than eyes.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on March 26, 2015, 04:18:55 AM
OK.

Round 2

Alric

Search, Perception (WIS) 5' in front. No movement, no enviro interact. Stealth, as usual, remains until broken.
--------------

Caden

Caden raises his hands slowly, in a calming gesture. "I'm just here taking a look about, there have been strange happenings about here" he says slow and measured.
--------------

Encounter, 3x ???

"Strange things?" turns to tooth-necklace and bark-hisses. A quick exchange, but hard to tell any Perception or Insight due to the distance & gloom. "Well, she asked us to keep tall mangy ones out of here at night."

"But we can't have you tell other tall mangy ones. Don't tell them, Caden, we promised!"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on March 26, 2015, 09:43:47 AM
Caden raises his hands slowly, in a calming gesture. "I'm just here taking a look about, there have been strange happenings about here" he says slow and measured.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on March 28, 2015, 07:13:43 AM
Updated, :)

Bright Feather

This is frustrating. There's an obvious portal here, and it seems it should run on magic. But it's all from an Easterner perspective. So what could be the keys to unlock this?

Looking about to relax your thoughts, you notice Mal walks about the acolyte & weaver, then away into the graveyard, sniffing at the ground. He seems to go around erratically in circles and then run quick stopping at some blooming clusters of wildflowers. Mal goes about, comes towards you still sniffing, sniffs up along the monument and then turns to look at you.

With a snort he then licks his chops at you and trots back towards the weaver and acolyte as if curiosity satisfied.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on March 28, 2015, 11:17:00 PM
ooc - MAL for the Win!
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on March 29, 2015, 06:57:07 AM
Quote from: Artifacts of Amber;822628
ooc - MAL for the Win!

Animals, once you really sit and watch them, are delightfully unpredictable and/or inscrutable. They're such an awesome GM challenge & opportunity at the same time. And Mal has really bloomed into a character in his own right over the posts.
:)

Round 3

Alric

Alric will continue toward the small shapes ahead though he is creeping (Maintaining stealth) and being careful due to his limited visibility. He won't move quickly unless he suspects someone is in danger.

Alric is currently next to these 3 creatures, obviously so well hidden because they do not respond to his nearness. ;)
-----------------

Caden

Caden nods at them "I can keep a secret". "Why does she want folk kept out at night?" he asks them giving his best conspiratorial tone hoping to convince them he is on their side.

[Roll Persuasion (CHA) for me.]
-----------------

Encounter, 3x ???

"Caden... don't you know there's spirits fighting below?" Flower-ear chides your obvious attempt at conspiring and just answers you outright. "You tall mangy ones already feed the nasty ones below plenty. She just keeps them busy from doing more harm."
-------------------------------------------

Almost Everyone Else

Hanalee

In current temporal distortion. Keep interacting so we can get you to 2:35 PM with everyone.
-------------------

Bright Feather

Still musing by Livonia's Monument. Was visited by Mal... for his own weird and wanton ways.
------------------

Karnath

Still threatening passersby for smite-worthy misbehavior. Soon, they and the town shall all be cleansed!
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on March 31, 2015, 06:22:22 AM
Alric will continue toward the small shapes ahead though he is creeping (Maintaining stealth) and being careful due to his limited visibility. He won't move quickly unless he suspects someone is in danger.


ooc - Oh I love running Animals and animal companions as well. One reason i like watching documentaries on such, just adds flavor to a game.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on March 31, 2015, 02:29:05 PM
Caden nods at them "I can keep a secret". "Why does she want folk kept out at night?" he asks them giving his best conspiratorial tone hoping to convince them he is on their side.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on April 01, 2015, 11:13:44 AM
[Caden, roll Persuasion (CHA) for me.]
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on April 01, 2015, 11:32:58 AM
Rolled a 6 in room.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on April 02, 2015, 08:18:49 AM
new response, as posted above

Encounter, 3x ???

"Caden... don't you know there's spirits fighting below?" Flower-ear chides your obvious attempt at conspiring and just answers you outright. "You tall mangy ones already feed the nasty ones below plenty. She just keeps them busy from doing more harm."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on April 05, 2015, 01:01:55 PM
[happy holidays bump!]
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on April 05, 2015, 09:07:23 PM
OOC: I'm stumped and not sure were everyone else is.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on April 05, 2015, 09:33:25 PM
Caden smiles as if what was just related to him was something he'd always known "Of course, I just get a bit forgetful" He smiles and taps his head "been knocked about a few too many times".

He tries again "Say would mind reminding me why the spirits are fighting? I forget".

I rolled an 18 in room for any relevant checks.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on April 06, 2015, 06:42:19 AM
Quote from: Marleycat;824197
OOC: I'm stumped and not sure were everyone else is.

Yes, it is challenging when people are allowed to split up. Quick summary:

Alric is inside the rough brush boundary surrounding the Old Graveyard. You know this because he said he went looking for Caden to see how he's doing. Caden informed that he was investigating some sounds in this rough vegetation beforehand.

Currently Mal and acolyte & weaver are waiting at the edge of the Old Graveyard, outside of the rough vegetation. They are roughly a good distance away from Bright Feather & Livonia's Monument, several hundred feet, but easily traversed in about 4 rounds of moving and Dashing.

The logical assumption is Mal, acolyte, & weaver are waiting for Alric & Caden somewhere in that border vegetation.

Hanalee went to investigate a potential connection between Blushing Flox home and the weird experience in the New Graveyard near Downtown. It's been an hour. You expect her, but also know she's a local and can likely take care of herself.

Karnath is, understandably, not stepping foot inside this Old Graveyard and has remained just outside it on the Main Trail. She is also about 4-to-6 rounds away by Dashing. She currently has her shield and mace raised, menacing passersby. She seems to have reached her breaking point with her patience with the people of this region. So far the few others who passed by on this trail of late have given her a wide berth.

Any other questions?

Quote from: Arkansan;824203
Caden smiles as if what was just related to him was something he'd always known "Of course, I just get a bit forgetful" He smiles and taps his head "been knocked about a few too many times".

He tries again "Say would mind reminding me why the spirits are fighting? I forget".

I rolled an 18 in room for any relevant checks.

To what are you applying this roll check?

Trying to Deceive flower-ear of your ignorance shouldn't be too hard, you'd imagine. Are you looking for something in particular through conversation, or perhaps change their mood? Are you physically observing something? I'll give you a moment to clarify.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on April 06, 2015, 04:03:09 PM
Quote from: Opaopajr;824241
Yes, it is challenging when people are allowed to split up. Quick summary:

Alric is inside the rough brush boundary surrounding the Old Graveyard. You know this because he said he went looking for Caden to see how he's doing. Caden informed that he was investigating some sounds in this rough vegetation beforehand.

Currently Mal and acolyte & weaver are waiting at the edge of the Old Graveyard, outside of the rough vegetation. They are roughly a good distance away from Bright Feather & Livonia's Monument, several hundred feet, but easily traversed in about 4 rounds of moving and Dashing.

The logical assumption is Mal, acolyte, & weaver are waiting for Alric & Caden somewhere in that border vegetation.

Hanalee went to investigate a potential connection between Blushing Flox home and the weird experience in the New Graveyard near Downtown. It's been an hour. You expect her, but also know she's a local and can likely take care of herself.

Karnath is, understandably, not stepping foot inside this Old Graveyard and has remained just outside it on the Main Trail. She is also about 4-to-6 rounds away by Dashing. She currently has her shield and mace raised, menacing passersby. She seems to have reached her breaking point with her patience with the people of this region. So far the few others who passed by on this trail of late have given her a wide berth.

Any other questions?



To what are you applying this roll check?

Trying to Deceive flower-ear of your ignorance shouldn't be too hard, you'd imagine. Are you looking for something in particular through conversation, or perhaps change their mood? Are you physically observing something? I'll give you a moment to clarify.


I'm looking for greater detail on these "spirits" and what in general is going on with the graveyard. Anything that would elaborate the condition of the place. I rolled in general in case I needed it, but being specific I think maybe it would make sense as a persuasion roll?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on April 09, 2015, 09:49:23 AM
Round 4

Alric

Alric is still next to these 3 creatures, obviously so well hidden because they do not respond to his nearness. ;) He notices one the smallest kneeling one looking about sniffing, but it's been mostly in the opposite direction of Alric. Likely harmless.

They look like children! Skinny, halfling-sized children... But their silhouette is off by strange tufts of hair and odd patches of reflective scales.

The nearest one is the largest one holding a pointy thing, likely a knife. Its arm is down as it listens to the other talk.

Alric continues to listen...
-----------------

Caden

Caden smiles as if what was just related to him was something he'd always known "Of course, I just get a bit forgetful" He smiles and taps his head "been knocked about a few too many times".

He tries again "Say would mind reminding me why the spirits are fighting? I forget".

[Attempting to Persuade (CHA) more explanation out from flower-ear.]
-----------------

Encounter, 3x ???

"They fight because it is what they are. The mean ones trick you then eat you, for your screams are delicious to them. Even dead they can make you scream, to eat your fear."

Flower-ear visibly shudders at that, visible even through this gloom.

"She is not like them. She keeps things at rest."
-------------------------------------------

Almost Everyone Else

Hanalee

Talking to two Shoshone youth who were fleeing, just a ways back on the Main Trail. Currently at 2:33 PM.
-------------------

Bright Feather

Still musing by Livonia's Monument. Currently stumped, looking about as though not really sure where is everyone else.
------------------

Karnath

Still threatening passersby for smite-worthy misbehavior. Soon, the blesséd sun shall bake away their defilements! Soon!
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on April 10, 2015, 10:27:17 AM
Assuming Alric can hear Caden he is remaining still and unnoticed backing Caden's play. He will not interfere or startle the "Children" by coming out. He will try to see which he could grab if he needed to if they should run off. Otherwise he just listens.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on April 14, 2015, 07:30:18 PM
Round 5

Alric

Listening to Caden, and staying close to these creatures, Alric maintains his secret position. The hunter scout waits...

[Alric, you hear them want to leave. All three are moving away from Caden and passed you. You have a Surprise Opportunity Attack! Do you take it?]
-----------------

Caden

Caden nods solemnly at what they have told him "How does she keep them at rest? Is there some way I can help?"

He is trying learn as much as he can while dragging this out, hoping that one of the others reach him soon.

[Passively, you don't sense anyone you know has reached you yet -- if they are even looking for you.]
-----------------

Encounter, 3x ???

"She stop the dark ones from spirit-eaten them! When mangy tall ones dig everywhere, takes more energy to keep away both."

"Grrr, bark-hiss, (tongue flick) hiss, bark!" The bigger of the three, tooth-necklace, makes noise at flower-ear. There is nodding and a general fidgety energy among them.

"We go now, Caden. Can't play long in the 'danger light'. But Grackto will remember..."

[All 3 will move away from Caden, deeper into the rough hedge. Alric has a Surprise Opportunity Attack right now! Do you take it?]
-------------------------------------------

Almost Everyone Else

Hanalee

Talking to two Shoshone youth who were fleeing, just a ways back on the Main Trail. Currently at 2:33 PM.

Anything else?
-------------------

Bright Feather

Still musing by Livonia's Monument. Currently stumped, looking about as though not really sure where is everyone else.

Anything else?
------------------

Karnath

Still threatening passersby for smite-worthy misbehavior. Soon, the blesséd sun shall bake away their defilements! Soon!

Anything else?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on April 14, 2015, 09:55:24 PM
Assuming Alric can hear Caden he is remaining still and unnoticed backing Caden's play. He will not interfere or startle the "Children" by coming out. He will try to see which he could grab if he needed to if they should run off. Otherwise he just listens.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on April 15, 2015, 03:01:10 AM
[Updated Alric's Round 5]

[Others?]
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on April 15, 2015, 08:37:05 PM
Caden nods solemnly at what they have told him "How does she keep them at rest? Is there some way I can help?"

He is trying learn as much as he can while dragging this out, hoping that one of the others reach him soon.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on April 19, 2015, 05:37:44 PM
Updated. Does Alric do anything with Opportunity Attack? O_o
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on April 20, 2015, 12:19:46 PM
Nope. Unless Caden yells for them to stop or indicates one needs to be captured I let them go by. If I need to capture one I will strike to subdue one with a dagger pommel.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on April 20, 2015, 03:33:31 PM
Then they move away and are out of OA range.

Next Round: Do either of you persist in staying by them as they attempt to move away?

Otherwise "combat" will end and we'll switch out from Rounds back into more fluid time.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on April 21, 2015, 07:58:23 AM
Alric remains still and ready. He is backing Caden's play and doesn't know him well enough to anticipate what he is doing.

After the little ones leave he will step out and address Caden  "So what was that?"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on April 21, 2015, 09:05:57 PM
Caden makes no attempt to stop them from leaving.

He turns to Alric and shrugs "Honestly I'm not quite sure what to make of it, but there is more going on here than it would seem from first impression."

He glances about quickly as if worried that the place itself might be listening "We should watch ourselves here, Let's get back to the others and I can relate what I've learned precious little though it is".
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on April 22, 2015, 08:37:49 AM
"Being confused is becoming a normal state of mind around here. Sounds like spirits are much more powerful than we thought, or coulda guessed" Alric nods and follows Caden back to the others, still looking around slightly spooked.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on April 22, 2015, 03:57:58 PM
"Find anything interesting?"

Acolyte and weaver were both outside the hedge waiting for you. They are both wearing broad grins, very proud of themselves. Mal sits beside them, eye squinting and tongue happily lolling out from panting. (Alric, you recognize that self-satisfied look from Mal anywhere.)

You exited an area just off from where Alric entered, and caught them a bit surprised as Alric exited first, still under stealth.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on April 26, 2015, 04:23:07 AM
"Maybe they found nothing, and are playing the Raven on us." says the weaver to the acolyte.

"Eh na (maybe so), guess they are not so curious," looks at Alric and draws a wry half smile. "But I believe they are working on the quest to understand this place as best they can.

"I know a spirit not so filled with mischief when I see one." The acolyte smiles fully to you both and walks back towards Bright Feather & Livonia's Monument, a gesture assuming you will all regroup together.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on April 26, 2015, 03:47:33 PM
"We didn't find anything we can explain" Alric resisting the urge to smack the tar out of the two thinking they are playing them for fools and watching over them for someone else. Not really here to help us.  Damn younguns'. He follows the others back to the monument it being our only solid lead.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on April 27, 2015, 08:39:57 PM
As you four, plus Mal, saunter towards Livonia's Monument and Bright Feather the acolyte holds back to match pace with Alric. In a low, confidential tone to you (Alric), "Did I ever mention that I appreciate your honesty? Reminds me of stories of the times before the silver boom. We, the People, do need to know what's going on here, so what you find is important."

If you look at him, he still wears that hard-to-read half-smile you attach to those trained in spiritual mysteries. The words are reassuring at least, but the face is still a mask. (Desire an Insight check to see if his words are a lie?)

Old Graveyard

2:35 PM

Alric, Bright Feather, Caden, Hanalee, & Karnath

Bright Feather is still lost in a "fugue" of puzzle solving, not giving immediate reaction to the return of Alric, Caden, Mal and the two Shoshone Observers. {It seems like it is as direct as it says... swipe in the direction to reverse time... call out Livonia for that specific song. Oh! The monument & words face West, towards the mountain and sunset...}

Karnath is still decompressing at the Main Trail from her harrowing experience. Her reluctance to enter this graveyard is understandable considering.

Oh, and Hanalee is visibly coming up the Main Trail! Finally, it feels like almost everyone is together again. She's nearest Karnath, but naturally both can rush towards all of you in half a minute if necessary.

Acolyte & weaver stand near their charges, Alric & Bright Feather respectively, and after exchanging glances stay quiet, presumably letting the party get back to work.

What does anyone do?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on April 28, 2015, 07:36:32 PM
Yes Alric will try Insight. Still having trouble with the room for some reason. Feel free to roll and I have a +2 for Wisdom.

"What I found is makin' no sense to me until I. . . " Alric pauses lookin for a word "Digest it."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on April 29, 2015, 08:47:18 AM
(Insight (WIS) = roll 18 +2 mod)

The acolyte seems earnest about appreciating your honesty... and about needing your party's help. If you'd guess, it seems like the silence and mask is to prevent contamination of your findings. Perhaps your group is not the only ones who've been on this quest?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on April 30, 2015, 07:49:47 AM
"The Spirits seem overly riled here. Not sure as to the why, But workin on it." Aalric offers what, to him, is a reassuring smile.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on April 30, 2015, 06:07:49 PM
I currently assume Hanalee reads Karnath's fierce grimace as a sign to "leave me alone now" and joins with the rest of the group in the Old Graveyard. Let me know if otherwise.

(At this point of the mystery I react off you, the players. Share among yourselves any discoveries & plans. I'll field any questions directed to your tagalong NPCs. Time will pass & where you pay attention I will clarify your explorations.

I'll wait. :) )
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on May 03, 2015, 03:37:25 PM
Caden will relate to the group his experience in the grave yard. "I think we need to meet this mother those... things, talked about. Seems as if she knows whats on about here."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on May 04, 2015, 06:14:18 AM
Alric nods. "You opened talkin' with them, I guess we could follow their trail and figure out how to talk with the larger group."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on May 04, 2015, 06:40:39 AM
[Both Alric & Caden:

Feel free to roll Disadv Nature (INT) lore to discern what those creatures were and anything else you know about their kind. Unless you have Great Basin Familiarity in your background (basically you declare yourself a local like Hanalee is), you have a vague idea what these critters may be but not much besides rumors. Also, greater detailed questions are welcome, just likely harder to check.

It is Very Easy to guess what they are, but Easy on up to make more sense out of your recent experience. Ask away.

If you want to talk about it openly with everyone present go ahead, and one of you Alric & Caden can declare they are Helping the other (adding Adv thus canceling Disadv). It would also allow others listening to attempt this Disadv Nature check themselves, if they are so inclined. They may or may not inform you after of their knowledge, and your experience will no longer be secret, but that's the natural cost of sharing.]
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on May 05, 2015, 08:06:53 AM
Still cannot get to rollz. so roll for me. I think I will start unaided and my bonus is +0. I just want to know what Alric may know about them in general.He will share what little he does know.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on May 05, 2015, 09:20:22 AM
From a quick, raw assessment (passive WIS check) of Caden, you'd guess he might be a shade more knowledgeable about lore and reasoning. Helping him might help you both more -- and there's a chance Bright Feather and Hanalee (or the acolyte & weaver) might overhear and add more knowledge.

Caden gets Adv atop Disadv (drifted into town, has a family elsewhere, likely not native to Great Basin?), canceling out for a straight Nature (INT) roll.

(Should other players choose):
[/COLOR]

Alric

You feel confident openly sharing your experience with Caden while the others are nearby. Maybe one of you here can make sense of these furry-scaled "children." Then once done, together you can move onto making sense of their message. (History check? Arcana check? Who to ask?)

Do you have any additional questions about these creatures besides identification? Now would be the time, from a PbP view. It would speed up discussion, providing IC knowledge to OOC quickly, I think.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on May 05, 2015, 11:30:29 AM
Well Alric's list would be

What are they?

What are they known for Racially

Are they known to be spiritual/ ancestor worship /shamanistic as far as religion goes

How do they get along with others

are they territorial

How are they socially, will offered gifts help interaction for example


OOC - A stat block would be Nice :) jk
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on May 06, 2015, 07:35:03 PM
Good! Now we need Caden to roll d20, (unless he wants to delegate it to me as well).
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on May 07, 2015, 01:21:36 AM
Rolled a 20 in room.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on May 07, 2015, 01:51:08 AM
[You explode in a fountain of knowledge. People take cover. Watch this space, I'll add answers to questions within this post.]

Caden, do you have any different questions you'd like to know about these creatures before I start having the IC-you answer them?
------------------------------

Caden puzzles out during discussion with Alric that they seem similar to a well known creature among the diverse "Easterners."

What are they? (Very Easy)

They are kobolds. They look different than what Caden is used to, but they got to be kobolds. Just like the Shoshone and Easterners are obviously humans but different.

Are they territorial? (Very Easy)

Isn't everything to a degree? Their concepts of shared space, or more precisely the lack of individual ownership of land, however makes them similar to the humans in this area. Who learned from whom this idea, no idea.

How do they get along with others? (Easy)

They are distrusted, like organized raiding coyotes in the night. They take things as you sleep and get feisty if you resist. And they are very well known for murderous traps protecting their underground space.

However they are also rumored for helping lost travelers get back to human lands. They have been known to trade, quite often really, and are surprising mimics of others' ingenuity. But all this is often on their terms for their paranoia is off the charts — very much like small, yappy dog syndrome, they continually fear being crushed.

What are they known for Racially? (Easy)

They are known seemingly worldwide for being an organized and ferocious underground pest along the edges of civilization. They breed fast and can live a bit longer than a human. But as they often live on the edge of multiple borders, they have far too many battles with other creatures whom they feel are always pressing in on them.

Some Eastern lands tried policies of eradication, some at significant cost. And while it bought a few years of peaceful abundance, often a denizen from deeper below the earth would rise up and terrorize the territory even worse. Other lands have found these devious critters make better neighbors than the truly monstrous things below.

What is the deal with the bones? (Normal)

Metalworking, though present here, is resource taxing at best in this region. The high desert makes life a struggle and an abundant need of charcoal/coal/peat for both foundries and kilns is known to cause conflict even among the organized Easterners here. As useful as metal objects are, large pottery urns holding water is even more precious.

These creatures are not known to have as vast trade networks. They usually hide underground, it is thus assumed there's breathable air issues from foundry smoke. And they dislike bright daylight and live on borderlands, thus guessing intense fires at night would likely draw unwanted attention.

That said, metal has been known to be among them. Most of it likely stolen or traded. Some so odd and alien in motif as to suggest metalworking at some unknown kobold time or place. What is common is the older they are, the more metal valuables they keep on their person.

The huge influx of Easterner dwarves and their ways has raised the eyebrows of plenty of natives, of several different races. There's definitely a sense of being used and soon to be discarded before the wrath of the environment. But many natives of all races are holding their peace, and only the most observant of Easterners (many criminals) are questioning why.

Are they known to be spiritual/ ancestor worship /shamanistic as far as religion goes? (Hard)

They are keenly observant and fantastic mimics. Their range of beliefs is broad, and more than a few have taken ideas or manners from nearby races and made them their own. They like patronage of large, ferocious allies and are prone to worshiping them if they are long lived enough — which explains some Eastern assumptions about them being dragon worshipers.

These lands don't work much the same way. From what is gleamed they seem to borrow heavily from the native Shoshone here. First, water serpents are roundly feared as the greatest of evils and no one seems to seek them as allies, even if any were openly known.

Second, from these three talking about spirits being a very real thing, and something to obey or fear, who knows how complex or real their beliefs are. These ones have taken patronage from one who tries to stop fear-eating and who knows if that will develop into a good thing for this tribe, let alone religious. One thing's for sure, they have taken sides and have a very real fear of something nearby underground.

How are they socially, will offered gifts help interaction for example? (Hard)

Socially they are very well organized and stratified. Self preservation does place high on their priorities, which leads to more than a few selfish attitudes. So yes, they would love gifts. In fact, they love taking frying pans, leathers, trail rations, and the like from Eastern travelers and settlers while they sleep and loudly declaim them to be gifts when caught in the act. The local human natives smile and don't comment much on that, who knows how familiar they are with that same problem.

However they are also paranoiacs, fast learning mimics, and thus well known tricksters. They have earned their reputation, in Eastern human eyes (maybe in Shoshone eyes, too), as untrustworthy mongrel beasts who'd bite the hand that feeds them as much as let it pet them. They are assumed to be erratic for all the most malevolent reasons, and only a fool who wants to be fed to their brood would go to their nest and parley without a platoon behind them.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on May 07, 2015, 07:28:48 PM
I would just like to know more specifics about them. What exactly are they? Are they common to the area? What was the deal with the bones?

Stuff like that.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on May 08, 2015, 10:49:33 AM
Repost of post #540's answers.

Caden puzzles out during discussion with Alric that they seem similar to a well known creature among the diverse "Easterners."

What are they? (Very Easy)

They are kobolds. They look different than what Caden is used to, but they got to be kobolds. Just like the Shoshone and Easterners are obviously humans but different.

Are they territorial? (Very Easy)

Isn't everything to a degree? Their concepts of shared space, or more precisely the lack of individual ownership of land, however makes them similar to the humans in this area. Who learned from whom this idea, no idea.

How do they get along with others? (Easy)

They are distrusted, like organized raiding coyotes in the night. They take things as you sleep and get feisty if you resist. And they are very well known for murderous traps protecting their underground space.

However they are also rumored for helping lost travelers get back to human lands. They have been known to trade, quite often really, and are surprising mimics of others' ingenuity. But all this is often on their terms for their paranoia is off the charts — very much like small, yappy dog syndrome, they continually fear being crushed.

What are they known for Racially? (Easy)

They are known seemingly worldwide for being an organized and ferocious underground pest along the edges of civilization. They breed fast and can live a bit longer than a human. But as they often live on the edge of multiple borders, they have far too many battles with other creatures whom they feel are always pressing in on them.

Some Eastern lands tried policies of eradication, some at significant cost. And while it bought a few years of peaceful abundance, often a denizen from deeper below the earth would rise up and terrorize the territory even worse. Other lands have found these devious critters make better neighbors than the truly monstrous things below. They also keep other fast breeding, intelligent, vicious creatures along the borderlands in population check.

What is the deal with the bones? (Normal)

Metalworking, though present here, is resource taxing at best in this region. The high desert makes life a struggle and an abundant need of charcoal/coal/peat for both foundries and kilns is known to cause conflict even among the organized Easterners here. As useful as metal objects are, large pottery urns holding water is even more precious.

These creatures are not known to have as vast trade networks. They usually hide underground, it is thus assumed there's breathable air issues from foundry smoke. And they dislike bright daylight and live on borderlands, thus guessing intense fires at night would likely draw unwanted attention.

That said, metal has been known to be among them. Most of it likely stolen or traded. Some so odd and alien in motif as to suggest metalworking at some unknown kobold time or place. What is common is the older they are, the more metal valuables they keep on their person.

The huge influx of Easterner dwarves and their ways has raised the eyebrows of plenty of natives, of several different races. There's definitely a sense of being used and soon to be discarded before the wrath of the environment. But many natives of all races are holding their peace, and only the most observant of Easterners (many criminals) are questioning why.

That bone on a thong is obviously a pacifier of some type. That tooth necklace, likely decorative jewelry showing bravery or status. That sharp bone knife, a sharp bone knife.

Are they known to be spiritual/ ancestor worship /shamanistic as far as religion goes? (Hard)

They are keenly observant and fantastic mimics. Their range of beliefs is broad, and more than a few have taken ideas or manners from nearby races and made them their own. They like patronage of large, ferocious allies and are prone to worshiping them if they are long lived enough — which explains some Eastern assumptions about them being dragon worshipers.

These lands don't work much the same way. From what is gleamed they seem to borrow heavily from the native Shoshone here. First, water serpents are roundly feared as the greatest of evils and no one seems to seek them as allies, even if any were openly known.

Second, from these three talking about spirits being a very real thing, and something to obey or fear, who knows how complex or real their beliefs are. These ones have taken patronage from one who tries to stop fear-eating and who knows if that will develop into a good thing for this tribe, let alone religious. One thing's for sure, they have taken sides and have a very real fear of something nearby underground.

How are they socially, will offered gifts help interaction for example? (Hard)

Socially they are very well organized and stratified. Self preservation does place high on their priorities, which leads to more than a few selfish attitudes. So yes, they would love gifts. In fact, they love taking frying pans, leathers, trail rations, and the like from Eastern travelers and settlers while they sleep and loudly declaim them to be gifts when caught in the act. The local human natives smile and don't comment much on that, who knows how familiar they are with that same problem.

However they are also paranoiacs, fast learning mimics, and thus well known tricksters. They have earned their reputation, in Eastern human eyes (maybe in Shoshone eyes, too), as untrustworthy mongrel beasts who'd bite the hand that feeds them as much as let it pet them. They are assumed to be erratic for all the most malevolent reasons, and only a fool who wants to be fed to their brood would go to their nest and parley without a platoon behind them.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on May 10, 2015, 10:25:19 PM
Bright Feather snaps out of her daze.."I've got it, just point West like so...don't forget the mountain...she looks at the weaver and acolyte.."You two should be helpful what's Livonia's song? Tell me now because sunset arrives quickly".
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on May 11, 2015, 12:22:25 PM
After Caden's overwhelming breakdown of Eastern kobold understanding, the acolyte looks to Bright Feather and shrugs while answering, as if stunned from Caden's exposition, "'They Call the Wind Moriah'? Because we sure don't."

The weaver elbow him and gives him a sharp look. He looks back at her, flinching in question, "What?" She eye him sternly and whispers, "It is hard enough as it is without you being sarcastic." "I'm not..." they bicker more quietly and let you think.

Review of what Alric helped you discover on the monument:

"'Caress as if to turn back time, and call out your loved one for a song.'

"'They Call the Wind Moriah.'"


(Since this will devolve into a pixel bitching "guess what I'm thinking!" puzzle, I'm going to speed things up due to Bright Feather's amazing roll of 24.)

Bright Feather, you feel that the word 'caress' means much here, and probably has the monument as a stand in for Livonia. The epitaph is on the monument's East face, and to read it one has to stand to its East and face West, basically its 'front'. Facing this front, and the Western Mountains, stroke the top of the monument 'from the West to the East' in a motion akin to gently beckoning someone over.

'Caress as if to turn back time' is a gentle stroke of the rock, from out to in, from West to East, as if beckoning to come closer -- and to reverse time.

The latter part says to 'call out your loved one for a song'. Well, the loved one is Livonia. And assuming that strange statement below is a song, then it should go together.

Say, "Livonia, sing to me 'They Call the Wind Moriah'."

Aw. Sentimental. :o
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on May 13, 2015, 12:08:39 PM
Alric stands watching never having been good at riddles.

"Hope bright knows what she is doin"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on May 13, 2015, 02:28:30 PM
Old Graveyard

(Assuming Bright Feather does the above... Sorry everyone if I spoiled your puzzle solving fun. :( )

2:35 PM

Alric, Bright Feather, Caden, Hanalee (npcs: acolyte & weaver)

Sunset will be around 8:31 PM further down the mountain, near the valley floor.  Up here so close to the peak's shadows it will be around 5:30 to 6:00-ish. Time being 2:35 PM, you have a few hours, but Bright Feather's comment brings up a good question of whether 3 hours will be enough?

Upon Bright Feather finishing the gesture and request, a song lilts from behind the monument (West side), and an Eastern woman walks around from there into view. She's more of a handsome woman, if one gets that meaning, but her countenance is that of patient kindness. She approaches all of you in a slow pace, singing.

"Way out west, they got a name,
For rain and wind and fire,"

(Anticipating something, yet not necessarily this, it still catches you all off guard. But the surprise round is over. Actions?)

Karnath

A silence of anticipation falls in the directions of where your friends are in the Old Graveyard. You hear Bright Feather say something, a request of some sort but not all that clear from this distance. A new voice, singing, comes from where they are.

If you turned around to look you'll see a woman, who from out of nowhere before your notice, is present and now sauntering towards your friends, singing.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on May 13, 2015, 02:34:55 PM
Alric makes a gesture to ward off evil and steps back. He watches Mal's reaction who often has a better sense of people than himself. Quite frankly his is frightened
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on May 13, 2015, 02:43:35 PM
Round 1

Alric - warding off evil and stepping back, watches Mal for a reaction.
Bright Feather - frowns and says, "it should have worked, this place is very dangerous but we promised to help". Watching warily looking at the guys questions filling her eyes.
Caden -?
Hanalee - ?
Karnath - ?

I'll assumed dazed and confused after the end of the weekend. Let me know otherwise until then! :)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on May 15, 2015, 01:24:39 PM
Old Graveyard, round 1

"The rain is Tess, the fire's Joe,
And they call the wind Moriah..."

She saunters in front of the epitaph and leans back onto the monument. Her hands are behind her, head in a slight upturn, eyes hooded looking straight ahead, distant. Peace plays upon her face, a genuine seeming one.

Alric steps back and makes a gesture to ward off evil.
Mal sniffs in her general direction, cocks his head to the side, then cranes out his neck flaring his nostrils and sniffing deeply. He's still heeding Alric's training.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on May 18, 2015, 08:52:33 AM
Does she have anything supernatural in the sense of ghostly about her?

I will use my perception (+4) to see if she is leaving impressions on the ground, is she moving the grass as she walks etc. And still watching Mal for a reaction.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on May 18, 2015, 04:22:13 PM
(Alric, you use your Round 2 action to examine her, roll Investigation (INT). You are trying to make sense of your obvious perception.

Mal looked a little surprised when she appeared. His Round 1 action was to sniff at her direction as she came among your group. He seems confused, cocking his head to the side and then craning his neck out, flaring his nostrils, like he wants to disobey your good training to get closer and sniff her in earnest. (If you release Mal's obedience, as a free action, he'll do his own thing. And then I'll roll for Mal's Investigation (INT).)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on May 18, 2015, 06:20:26 PM
Nope I like Mal safe but he's not losing it.

I rolled a mighty 9 with no modifier.




"Stay right there Mal til we know what it is!"  Mal shuffles a few feet closer and takes a closer look.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on May 18, 2015, 08:59:21 PM
Caden, moves his hand to the hilt of his sword. He pauses to see if he can take in any details of the situation.

Rolled an 18 for investigation or whatever the relevant skill is for figuring out what's going on.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on May 19, 2015, 06:01:34 PM
Round 2


Alric - It looks like an adult female human. It sounds like an adult female human. After that new graveyard, though... [SPOILER]She's really into her song. Doesn't seem to pay us mind. How did she get here so fast with no one noticing?[/SPOILER]
Mal turns to look at you, whimpers once as if from struggling against his curiosity, but heeds your command and gets closer while minding distance. He turns back to face the woman. He's trying to inhale the woman across the distance, you notice.
Bright Feather - ? not responding.
Caden. Hmm... [SPOILER]Yeah, that's an illusion. Good one, though. It's not responding to personal space just right, however.

That and Mal still seems confused, possibly due to lack of scent. Confusing an animal is one thing, but it'd have had its hackles up if it was a stranger thing. But that lack of self-consciousness moving among people is either the sign of the truly forlorn, or an illusion. And the forlorn don't confuse animals like that.

Must have cost a bit to attach one to this large grave monument. You could tune out the illusion now. But from your underworld experience people don't go through this entertaining illusion effort without expecting that it would be heeded. Does not seem like a trap, though.[/SPOILER]
Hanalee - ? not responding.
Karnath - ? not responding. still on the Main Trail observing the strange new woman approach her friends, singing of all things.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on May 22, 2015, 04:07:06 PM
What is everyone doing for Round 3?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on May 22, 2015, 08:03:28 PM
I merely watch it, waiting to see what happens but prepared to get out of the way of whatever happens.

Mechanically reading to Dodge if something seems threatening or attacks.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on May 23, 2015, 07:20:39 PM
Caden will move closer to Alric and relay to him, quietly, that it is an illusion.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on May 25, 2015, 12:18:17 AM
"It is?" Alric stares harder at it.

Next Round Alric will pick up a small rock to toss at it to test this, still not sure.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Marleycat on May 25, 2015, 05:09:19 AM
Quote from: Opaopajr;831282
Round 1

Alric - warding off evil and stepping back, watches Mal for a reaction.
Bright Feather - ?
Caden -?
Hanalee - ?
Karnath - ?

I'll assumed dazed and confused after the end of the weekend. Let me know otherwise until then! :)

Bright Feather frowns..."it should have worked, this place is very dangerous but we promised to help". She's watching warily looking at the guys questions filling her eyes
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on May 25, 2015, 03:00:54 PM
Thanks Bright Feather! Did you want to do anything for already resolved Round 2, or upcoming Round 3? Let me know!

Caden Investigated in Round 2, moved closer to Alric and relayed quietly his findings.

Alric Investigated in Round 2, telling Mal to hold still for safety. Heard Caden's assessment and acknowledged the exchange.

So far only Alric has declared his Round 3.

Round 2

?? Woman remains gazing beyond to the East, like she lost in song, continuing:
"Maria blows the stars around
And sends the clouds a’flyin’"
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on May 25, 2015, 06:10:22 PM
Caden nods at Alric's suggestion. "I don't think it's a trap, so go ahead and see how it reacts".
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on May 27, 2015, 02:02:37 AM
Moving to Round 3, last chance to declare your action...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on June 02, 2015, 07:40:33 PM
Round 3

Karnath is still by the Main Trail, not inside the Old Graveyard. Though she is aware where her friends are, by Livonia's Monument, and does hear the singing.
------------------

Hanalee, Caden, & Bright Feather decide to take no action on their turns.

Alric picks up a stone and tosses it at the singing lady...

??? Lady sings her song, oblivious:

"Maria makes the mountains sound

... as the stone goes through her dress at the waist and, 'chts', bounces off what sounds like another rock, obviously the monument she's leaning on.

Like folks were up there dying"

No reaction and intangible. Hmm, an illusion.

Everyone by Livonia's Monument (Passes their Passive Perception) hears a rustle by the woody rough nearest the monument (a touch greater than a dashing turn away). Turning to look, you see two very small, bipedal silhouettes, one squatting and hugging the standing one's leg, as the other cradles the squatter's head. You catch snippets of cooing, matching harmony to the song.

Round 4 actions?
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on June 02, 2015, 08:08:09 PM
Caden will turn slowly toward the creature so as not to alarm, he hopes to get a better look at them.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on June 02, 2015, 10:00:36 PM
Alric & Caden [SPOILER]Those silhouettes are familiar. Looks like flower-ear and gnaw-bone.[/SPOILER]
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on June 03, 2015, 07:38:13 AM
Alric will nod at the illusion as if he has its number.

Then side step slowly as not to draw attention from the other watchers and hide behind Caden. More to reduce the number of people so as not to frighten them.




Mechanical - action to hide. at +4, Rolz not working (Maybe cause I am at work?)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on June 11, 2015, 11:17:40 PM
Caden will try to position himself closer to flower-ear and gnawbone in an attempt to see what their interest in the illusion is.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on June 16, 2015, 10:31:26 PM
Round 4

Karnath remains outside the Old Graveyard.
---------------------

Hanalee & Bright Feather both listen to the mysterious lady and take no movement or action.

Alric Attempts to Hide behind Caden, a useful racial trick his kind managed to cultivate to their advantage over the years. It will be a challenge as Caden is also moving, and essentially impossible against any of those shadows watching from the woody edge. But maybe any newcomer shadows won't notice. Who knows how many kobolds are out there besides these children? (Rolled 13+4 = 17 for Hide. Until they change perspective and view you head-on from a different angle, you are above average (15) difficulty to spot.) [SPOILER]Rolz is currently finicky. Likes the iPad, hates the Safari, Firefox, and Opera browser. Might be programmed for the latest versions, or some Java hiccup[/SPOILER]

??? Lady She continues on...
Maria
Maria (a distant voice harmonizes with it)
They call the wind Maria
(That other voice is coming from the silhouettes in the distant woody rough!)

Caden casually moves closer towards the woody rough, covering up his actions as if more focused on listening, and tries to get a closer look on the two shadow figures. Still over a round away from dashing to their spot. Looking surreptitiously at the silhouettes, and hearing the vocal harmony, it's obvious to even your passive Perception that it is flower-ear singing while cradling her younger brother's head.

Your Investigation however didn't bear any new information. The situation just might be what it appears? (Investigation roll of 5+1 = 6)

(Let me know what all of you plan to do for Round 5. I am slowing this down because investigations work best with time sequencing, and PbP is very different from face to face (F2F?). That and it sets things up well for me just in case you all decide to go ape shit aggro on something. Players are full of surprises. :) )
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on June 17, 2015, 08:15:33 AM
Alric will continue remaining as undetected as possible with the intent being to avoid frightening or startling the shadowy folk. If possible he will study them as well following Caden's lead.



Mechanically continue hiding and hopefully an investigation roll if hiding does not require an action.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on June 22, 2015, 06:08:39 PM
(Caden's lead seems to be more observation than direct action. I'll assume the same for you as well, Alric? Then I will speed things up until a change in situation occurs.)

??? Lady - she turns around and starts to walk around the monument. A male tenor resumes the song.
Now before I knew Mariahs name
And heard her wail and whining
I had a girl and she had me  
And the sun was always shining
(the sounds of a wagon and hoofbeats in the distance)

O, but then one day I left my girl
I left her far behind me
And now I'm lost, I'm oh so lost
Not even God can find me
(hoofbeats stop, and the sound of soft, high whistling wind starts)

Mariah, O, Mariah, They call the wind Mariah
(??? Lady comes back, smiling wistfully yet still not singing, with a bouquet of local wild flowers. She stands between your group and the monument again gazing East through you all.)

I hear they got a name for rain
And wind and fire only
But when you're lost and all alone
(??? Lady - she closes her eyes, leans over and sniffs the bouquet. You hear a commotion from the hedge...
Flower-Ear - is scrambling around grabbing at flowers growing around tombstones while shielding her eyes.)
There ain't no words but lonely

And I'm a lost and lonely man
Without a star to guide me
(??? from Woody Rough - you hear bark-hiss cries come from here. They stop with a 'yip' and turn into a whimpering.
??? Lady - deposits her bouquet atop the monument, turns to go around the monument, looks back one last time and moves out of sight.
(The sound of the whistling wind picks up, like building up to a crescendo.)
Mariah, blow your love to me
I need my girl beside me

(Flower-Ear - runs towards Caden out of breath, thrusting a fistful of picked flowers at him and pointing to where the other bouquet rests. At her angle she spots Alric, gasps and pulls back a little from surprise. She's still holding out the flowers and pointing, though it seems to take all her bravery.)
Hey, Mariah, O, Mariah
I'm lonely can't you see...
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Artifacts of Amber on June 22, 2015, 07:33:52 PM
Alric assumes Caden will place the flowers on the monument. He spreads his hands slowly and smiles at the intriguing little creature. He remain alert and keep his eyes out since hiding time is past and look for an effect from the flowers (if there is one) but he does not limiting his watch to the monument the thing it may trigger could be elsewhere.



Mechanical - Using an action for a Perception check after Caden places the Bouquet if he does otherwise , doing nothing.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on June 27, 2015, 07:40:05 PM
(Caden ignores the poor kobold's gesture... :( )
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on June 28, 2015, 03:40:54 PM
Is it too late to respond to that? I've been out of power the last three days.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on June 28, 2015, 10:46:20 PM
(Of course not! What would you like to do instead? And 3 days w/o power? Was there a natural disaster over there I haven't heard about? More flooding? Is everyone ok?)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on June 29, 2015, 12:18:03 AM
Caden will take the flowers and rest them where the others are, where she is pointing.

(We had a pretty nasty storm, put some trees down and naturally took some power lines with them. about 30,000 people were in the dark state wide. Our area is just low priority so we always get power back last. We are all fine, more annoyed than anything else. In Arkansas you just sort of get used to storms and their aftermath.)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on July 03, 2015, 07:54:55 PM
Moriah! O, Moriah!

Flower-Ear - "Close your eyes Caden!" She hurries next to you, turns to face the monument, and covers her eyes with her hands.

"Please blow my love to me,
Mariah, blow my love to me"

(I assume my active players, Caden and Alric, use their action to follow her advice. If otherwise let me know.)

(For those that don't close their eyes) [SPOILER]A refreshing strong breeze blows forth from the monument with a blast of blinding colors, like a mix of all the flowers' petals. You feel petals tenderly strike your skin, but the dazzling petal-rays completely obscure wherever those petals are coming from. A last image of the unknown woman appears within this riotous nimbus, smiling and walking away to fade into the light. Eventually the breeze wanes and petals stop hitting you, but everything is still beautiful colored light... and you can see nothing else![/SPOILER]

(For those that do close their eyes) [SPOILER]A refreshing strong breeze blows forth from the monument. The darkness behind your closed eyes seems to brighten to a reddish orange. You feel petals tenderly strike your skin. Eventually it all dies back down.[/SPOILER]
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on July 04, 2015, 03:04:01 AM
Of course Caden closes his eyes tight and covers them with his hands.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on July 04, 2015, 09:18:11 PM
Old Graveyard

Karnath

That singing continued... then a small furry-scaled creature runs out the bush and collects flowers?! It looks like a kobold child. You've learned of them through your travels North through the desert.

They can be fierce fighters, and are said to remain even more unpredictable than any of these uncivilized desert human people. Often the adults seem like children in their selfishness and mimicry, yet occasionally they are life savers in the desert. Though they almost never willingly come out at daylight, let alone pick flowers?!

What does this portend?

The song ends and the distant edges of a bright colorful flash are seen from the monument! ...

Almost Everyone

(for those who kept their eyes open)
[SPOILER]Such beautiful colors radiating, radiating... You faintly hear the sound of rumbling, but you feel it in the ground more than you hear. Oh, so many colors... they're fading gradually now.
(You suffered from Color Spray. It only lasts a round.)
As your vision returns it is apparent that there is now a 4' high entrance inside the monument with a stairway that descends into the earth![/SPOILER]

(for those who closed their eyes)
[SPOILER]You hear the sound of rumbling, but you feel it in the ground more than you hear. If you open your eyes now you can see part of the monument, the one that has a flush seam about it, descend into the earth! You see stairs upon the descending rock, obviously an indication of its future purpose.
(Assuming everyone opens their eyes at this point when the rumbling stops.)
There is now a 4' high entrance inside the monument with a stairway that descends into the earth! [/SPOILER]

Flower-Ear says, "That is to the home of the Lady. She is good to us, a good spirit." She says that while opening her hands out, maybe a gesture of including everyone present?

"There is a crawlspace from her 'honor den' into the blessed 'warrens'. She visits and protects the other 'honored' at night." Flower-Ear continues, "When you are not wanted she sends you away.

"Sometimes there are 'touching tunnels' from the evil spirits trying to get in there. She collapses them as she can." Flower-ear implores Caden with her eyes. She has to look partially up and towards the sun to do this, and it is obvious how much of an effort it is from her visible discomfort.

"Grackto wants to save the life that saved him, so I must help you. He says, 'Don't go there, into the evil spirits' 'warrens'. She will collapse the 'touching tunnel' behind you once she finds it, for safety, and those evil spirits they will kill you. And once you are dead you will suffer even more.'"

"Grackto and I must run back home now, Caden. Please don't choose to die!" and she runs off towards the woody hedge.
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Arkansan on July 05, 2015, 05:09:22 PM
Caden calls his thanks after Flower-Ear, then turns to Alric. "Well we've got some thinking to do. I don't like the looks of this and the warning was fairly clear".
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on July 06, 2015, 04:08:44 AM
(As GM, I have no other NPCs nearby to further motivate you. Well, except for my weaver and acolyte observers, but they're busy being neutral, observing. This is all about PC decisions and momentum here, I'll wait.)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on July 10, 2015, 08:18:19 PM
(The gaping maw to the underworld awaits your willing entrance. As does the town. Ten minutes go by as the party discusses their options.)
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on July 14, 2015, 05:05:11 PM
(10 minutes more goes by.)

The acolyte turns to the weaver, "Well, it seems they have hit a limit to their bravery." She merely looks sidelong at him with a smile and raises her brow along with a shrug. He smirks and pushes his luck injecting some humor into this waiting.

"However, it was quite a coup to coax a kobold out of the woody rough and teach us how to blind ourselves." The weaver snickers, and the acolyte presses his humor, "And in the sunlight no less!" She can't hold it back and let's out a laugh, quickly trying to rein it back in.

"You're such a piece of ground squirrel shit, you know that?" she teases back. "And you think hiding yourself among the pine nuts makes you all the funnier." She nudges him with her shoulder playfully, "Quit playing mocking bird and let them get back to work."
Title: [IC 5e RAW Basic] Livonia's Lament, pt. 2
Post by: Opaopajr on July 28, 2015, 07:06:39 PM
Old Graveyard

3:05 PM

Almost Everyone
Alric, Bright Feather, Caden, Hanalee, & Karnath


After thirty minutes pass of remaining open the ground again rumbles and the visible stairs raise back up to seal the mausoleum closed. The sunny afternoon continues with its lazy insect sounds sweltering in the heat. Only the spray of wildflower petals at the party's feet gives away that anything wonderous just happened, and the infrequent breeze whisks even that away.

"I think they are overwhelmed, tired. We might as well go back and relate to the elders what has been learned," the weaver comments openly to the acolyte. The acolyte responds with a quiet nod, a sense of acknowledgment to the party, like a commiseration between those who've been tested to their limits.

"Let's get you all home and rested. We have much to talk about later this evening. Our people shall treat you to a home cooked meal and some 'strong medicine', perhaps a few rounds worth." The weaver starts to walk out of this Old Graveyard anticipating everyone else will follow. The acolyte takes a moment to close his eyes, intone something underbreath, and then look up to the sky before doing the same.

(I am assuming the party is overwhelmed and exhausted — also the players are caught up with life's tasks. Instead of killing off the campaign here, I am going to "fade to black" and transition the scene back into town. Those of you who are still active are welcome to continue your adventures within town, just let me know what you are doing once back in the boomtown.

As for everyone else, I hope you will return once things are less busy. We are next going to have a lengthy meeting with the village elders who will debrief your resulting mission, reward you, and explain as many questions as possible that you've uncovered. This will be an open interactive process, but doesn't need full active player questioning to unfold, so you are welcome to take a backseat to other player questioning. Feel free to interject as the conversation unfolds.

We'll start back in town around 5 PM dinnertime, and will expect the party's presence at the Elders' Place by 7 PM. Let me know if you choose to do anything in that interim.

You'll still have a 2nd lvl character here upon return regardless. Hope to see some absent faces return to Livonia's Lament!)