This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.
The message boards have been upgraded. Please log in to your existing account by clicking here. It will ask twice, so that it can properly update your password and login information. If it has trouble recognizing your password, click the 'Forgot your password?' link to reset it with a new password sent to your email address on file.

Author Topic: Looking for fun and quick adventures  (Read 1038 times)

Mistwell

  • Smarter than Arduin
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3254
    • View Profile
Looking for fun and quick adventures
« on: March 01, 2006, 01:48:37 am »
I run a campaign where the players are students at an adventuring university.  The adventures are usually one-off single-shot adventures.  It's built so that if someone misses a session it's no big deal, and if a new person wants to jump in for a night of play it's no big deal.

The party has gone into a haunted house, accidentally woken a graveyard of undead (all at once), run a gauntlet of traps and puzzles, and fought a calzone golem.  

Yeah.  A calzone golem.  As written by someone else.  Great fun, spurting hot marinara sauce with each wound, etc...

Anyway, I'm looking for more ideas.  Either small pre-written adventures or just ideas folks have.  And if you have run or played in a similar campaign, I'd be interested in hearing some of your adventures as well.

Maximum Fu

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • M
  • Posts: 51
    • View Profile
Looking for fun and quick adventures
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 07:59:39 am »
Quote from: Mistwell
Anyway, I'm looking for more ideas.  Either small pre-written adventures or just ideas folks have.  And if you have run or played in a similar campaign, I'd be interested in hearing some of your adventures as well.


If you haven't seen the free adventures by Wizards, you should check them out.  Some of them are very fun and almost all of them are fairly short.

Hope that helps.
Their prison is only in their own minds, yet they are in that prison; and so afraid of being taken in that they cannot be taken out.

-The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis

kryyst

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1682
    • View Profile
    • http://www.forgedrpg.com
Looking for fun and quick adventures
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 08:21:19 am »
Now don't dismiss this outright.  You may want to check out the Warhammer book Plundered Vaults.  The stat blocks will be different but it contains 6 really good one or two night adventures.  They have a wide range from straight forward go here kill this style adventures to others that are focused just around role playing and the goings on in an Inn.  There are a couple warhammer specific creatures that other systems don't have but it'd be easy enough to drop in something else.  

One more thing on the mechanics.  None of the adventures rely on very specific things to the Warhammer rules.  So if it says 7 goblins - well drop in 7 D20 goblins and you are good to go.
AccidentalSurvivors.com : The blood will put out the fire.

kryyst

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1682
    • View Profile
    • http://www.forgedrpg.com
Looking for fun and quick adventures
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 08:21:59 am »
Another site worth checking out for adventure ideas is this one.


http://www.io.com/~sjohn/plots.htm
AccidentalSurvivors.com : The blood will put out the fire.

Mistwell

  • Smarter than Arduin
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3254
    • View Profile
Looking for fun and quick adventures
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 01:15:30 pm »
Quote from: kryyst
Now don't dismiss this outright.  You may want to check out the Warhammer book Plundered Vaults.  The stat blocks will be different but it contains 6 really good one or two night adventures.  They have a wide range from straight forward go here kill this style adventures to others that are focused just around role playing and the goings on in an Inn.  There are a couple warhammer specific creatures that other systems don't have but it'd be easy enough to drop in something else.  

One more thing on the mechanics.  None of the adventures rely on very specific things to the Warhammer rules.  So if it says 7 goblins - well drop in 7 D20 goblins and you are good to go.


I don't mind doing some of the work if the basis of the adventure is good.  So, I will go check it out. Thanks!

Mistwell

  • Smarter than Arduin
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3254
    • View Profile
Looking for fun and quick adventures
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 01:17:13 pm »
Quote from: kryyst
Another site worth checking out for adventure ideas is this one.


http://www.io.com/~sjohn/plots.htm


Woah.  Great site.  A gold mine of plot ideas!

Mistwell

  • Smarter than Arduin
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3254
    • View Profile
Looking for fun and quick adventures
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 01:17:44 pm »
Quote from: Maximum Fu
If you haven't seen the free adventures by Wizards, you should check them out.  Some of them are very fun and almost all of them are fairly short.

Hope that helps.


Been I while since I looked, but thanks for the reminder.  Some good stuff in there.

Cyclotron

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • C
  • Posts: 279
    • View Profile
Looking for fun and quick adventures
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 01:22:49 pm »
Quote from: Maximum Fu
If you haven't seen the free adventures by Wizards, you should check them out.  Some of them are very fun and almost all of them are fairly short.

Hope that helps.


I think that's where the calzone golem comes from, if I'm not mistaken...  "Something's Cooking" by Andy Collins.

Also check the "Previous Edition" downloads at the WotC site.  The "GR3 - Treasure Maps (TSR 9377)" at the very bottom of the page is a gold mine of short adventure ideas...  the mindflayer restaurant is a particular gem.
Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace,
 NFPA 70E, Article 330.4 (F):
"Laser beams shall not be aimed at employees."

el-remmen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • e
  • Posts: 264
    • View Profile
    • http://www.aquerra.com/rbdmc/index.php
Looking for fun and quick adventures
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 05:12:08 pm »
Don't forget to check the IRON DM archive.
Check out the "Out of the Frying Pan" D&D Aquerra Story Hour (Now with Session by Session DM Commentary!)

"Just because you're buff, don't play tough, 'cause I'll reverse the Earth and turn your flesh back to dust. . ."

Jangling Jack

  • Newbie
  • *
  • J
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
Looking for fun and quick adventures
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 09:37:43 am »
Quote from: Mistwell
...
Yeah.  A calzone golem.  As written by someone else.  Great fun, spurting hot marinara sauce with each wound, etc...
 


I was wondering if I had been the only one to ever run that one. The calzone golem was much fun. :)
 

Aelfinn

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • A
  • Posts: 193
    • View Profile
Looking for fun and quick adventures
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 12:55:05 am »
in one of the more recent issues of dungeon, there's a nice short adventure called "the menagerie" which deals with rounding up a bunch of escaped magical creatures while fighting off the animated objects left strewn about by a Ravid. pretty neet little side-trek, since the goal is to recapture the monsters rather than killing them.
Bedd Ann ap lleian ymnewais fynydd  
Iluagor Llew Ymrais
Prif ddewin merddin Embrai
[/SIZE][/I]

Knightcrawler

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • K
  • Posts: 504
    • View Profile
Looking for fun and quick adventures
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 01:04:14 am »
You can always try Dungeon Magazine.
Knightcrawler

"I Am Become Death, Destroyer Of Worlds"

Aelfinn

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • A
  • Posts: 193
    • View Profile
Looking for fun and quick adventures
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 04:39:31 pm »
I looked up the adventure I thought of earlier - it's in Dungeon 126. re-reading it... yeah, it's a nice little adventure, "suitable for 4 characters of level 6."
Bedd Ann ap lleian ymnewais fynydd  
Iluagor Llew Ymrais
Prif ddewin merddin Embrai
[/SIZE][/I]