This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.
The message boards have been upgraded. Please log in to your existing account by clicking here. It will ask twice, so that it can properly update your password and login information. If it has trouble recognizing your password, click the 'Forgot your password?' link to reset it with a new password sent to your email address on file.

Author Topic: Chuck Tingle RPG has launched  (Read 2487 times)

Antiquation!

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 985
    • View Profile
Chuck Tingle RPG has launched
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 03:13:23 PM »
Quote from: ThatChrisGuy;1103488
They're near the bottom of my list but not the #1.  I think Wraeththu the RPG beats them for me.  A game about "Gay Rapist David Bowie Lookalikes Whose Jizz is Acid."  No, thank you.

Ah, pardon me, I had forgotten about Wraeththu. Decisions, decisions...
If you feel like you might be forming an opinion you are already a danger to yourself and others.

Snowman0147

  • Now Even More Frosty
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2972
    • View Profile
Chuck Tingle RPG has launched
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 03:41:39 PM »
Quote from: ThatChrisGuy;1103488
They're near the bottom of my list but not the #1.  I think Wraeththu the RPG beats them for me.  A game about "Gay Rapist David Bowie Lookalikes Whose Jizz is Acid."  No, thank you.

I will count my blessings for not knowing this and will gladly keep my ignorance of the matter.  I feel that is the wisest of moves.

remial

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • r
  • Posts: 321
    • View Profile
Chuck Tingle RPG has launched
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2019, 06:52:38 AM »
Quote from: ThatChrisGuy;1103488
They're near the bottom of my list but not the #1.  I think Wraeththu the RPG beats them for me.  A game about "Gay Rapist David Bowie Lookalikes Whose Jizz is Acid."  No, thank you.

yeah, you don't want Wraeththu.  trust me.  if I ever find out who sent me a copy of the book, I will do things to them with a blow torch, pliers, and wire.  things that will get me tried at the Hague.  I have tried several times to read the RPG, and every time I do, it makes me so mad that my vision goes out.  This game makes FATAL look good.  The art is horrible.  the only good thing about the book is that it does have clip art of the 6 standard dice with various results in the upper right hand corner of every right hand page, for those people who have the book, but no dice.  that is the only nice thing I can think of to say about the game.  (the paper quality is nice, I guess)

and by the way, in case the rapist bit isn't nightmarish enough for you, once they run out of men to rape into becoming Wraeththu, they gain the ability to lay eggs.  You see when one Wraeththu loves another Wraeththu very much (and because they are all cooler than humans, and magic, their love is even more special) the, what used to be the penis and is now something else, will open on one to accommodate the used to be the penis of the other.  Then the one that opened receives a load of jizz acid (which doesn't eat through a Wraeththu, just humans), and several months later they lay an egg, that will eventually hatch into a baby Wraeththu.

Human women, on the other hand, all die out. only men can become Wraeththu.

there now I'm not the only one suffering because of that knowledge.

BrokenCounsel

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • B
  • Posts: 110
    • View Profile
Chuck Tingle RPG has launched
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2019, 08:23:44 AM »
Quote from: remial;1103975
yeah, you don't want Wraeththu.  trust me.  if I ever find out who sent me a copy of the book, I will do things to them with a blow torch, pliers, and wire.  things that will get me tried at the Hague.  I have tried several times to read the RPG, and every time I do, it makes me so mad that my vision goes out.  This game makes FATAL look good.  The art is horrible.  the only good thing about the book is that it does have clip art of the 6 standard dice with various results in the upper right hand corner of every right hand page, for those people who have the book, but no dice.  that is the only nice thing I can think of to say about the game.  (the paper quality is nice, I guess)

and by the way, in case the rapist bit isn't nightmarish enough for you, once they run out of men to rape into becoming Wraeththu, they gain the ability to lay eggs.  You see when one Wraeththu loves another Wraeththu very much (and because they are all cooler than humans, and magic, their love is even more special) the, what used to be the penis and is now something else, will open on one to accommodate the used to be the penis of the other.  Then the one that opened receives a load of jizz acid (which doesn't eat through a Wraeththu, just humans), and several months later they lay an egg, that will eventually hatch into a baby Wraeththu.

Human women, on the other hand, all die out. only men can become Wraeththu.

there now I'm not the only one suffering because of that knowledge.


Wraeththu questions, all pertinent to this thread.

1. Is it the case that this game/setting, because it's about becoming a sort of androgyne kinky sex hermaphrodite with deep special feelings, is perfect for the SJW crowd? I mean, does it tick their boxes, because its straight white men getting acid jizzed to death? Or is it on their Shudder Spectrum?
2. The original books were by Storm Constantine, who seems to be ticking all the right SJW Danger Hair Weirdy Sex Mania boxes. Is she a doyen of the Pronoun Crowd, or does the rapey bit of Wraeththu put her on the Pitchfork Spectrum?
3. Seems to me that Wraeththu and this Chuck Tingler game are perfect companions for the Monty Cook 'Consent in Gaming' checklist; or is it the case that because both games really concern Gay/Hermaphroditic/Weirdy sex (ie, none of that nasty straight man/woman sex, which is bad), that if you're LGBTQ+WZ$@, then it gets a pass, because reasons?

Asking for a friend.

Armchair Gamer

  • Enemy of Love and Gaming
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • A
  • Posts: 2285
    • View Profile
Chuck Tingle RPG has launched
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2019, 10:35:55 AM »
I still remain deeply disturbed that Wraeththu somehow made it into Barnes & Noble distribution channels. I saw a copy on the shelves of one back when it was new. Best-case scenario was that it was an exchanged copy or an abandoned special order ...

remial

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • r
  • Posts: 321
    • View Profile
Chuck Tingle RPG has launched
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2019, 09:13:59 PM »
Quote from: BrokenCounsel;1103982
Wraeththu questions, all pertinent to this thread.

1. Is it the case that this game/setting, because it's about becoming a sort of androgyne kinky sex hermaphrodite with deep special feelings, is perfect for the SJW crowd? I mean, does it tick their boxes, because its straight white men getting acid jizzed to death? Or is it on their Shudder Spectrum?
2. The original books were by Storm Constantine, who seems to be ticking all the right SJW Danger Hair Weirdy Sex Mania boxes. Is she a doyen of the Pronoun Crowd, or does the rapey bit of Wraeththu put her on the Pitchfork Spectrum?
3. Seems to me that Wraeththu and this Chuck Tingler game are perfect companions for the Monty Cook 'Consent in Gaming' checklist; or is it the case that because both games really concern Gay/Hermaphroditic/Weirdy sex (ie, none of that nasty straight man/woman sex, which is bad), that if you're LGBTQ+WZ$@, then it gets a pass, because reasons?

Asking for a friend.

I'm not 100% sure how to answer these questions, as the game really doesn't get much into the why's and hows of the biology, as it is all presented as a mystery. The game is set during the time period where the Wraeththu (goddamn that is a bitch to type out I'm just gonna call them "Wu" from this point on) don't really know what all is going on. and it has been like 20 years since I read the novels the game is based on.

From what I remember, once upon a time, there was born a mutant hermaphrodite, he was the first Wu. (I use he because in the books he self identifies more as male) He grew up knowing there was something different about him. Initially he just thought he was gay, and when he was a young man he went looking for love, and being taller, and prettier than your average male, he had a lot of luck.  Unfortunately for him, he discovered that his bodily secretions were highly toxic, and about 1 in 10 of his partners would dissolve into goo.  (personally I'd freak out and either swallow a shotgun or turn myself into the cops, but hey whatever) The lucky person who didn't turn to goo would then enter a chrysalis, and after an undetermined time, would emerge as a Wu.
These Wu, and the ones that followed, were the ones who decided that humanity as it currently existed, had to die. By raping all the men to further reproduction.  Occasionally one would try this with a woman, but the women all would just turn to goo.
The first 3 novels in the series tell the story of a young bi-curious man, initially he has a girlfriend, but he sees this Wu in a bar, and goes home with him, and undergoes the transformation. It was written more like a rape than a consensual encounter, with a great deal of fear on the main character's part.
When he woke up he discovered that a lot of time had passed, his family thought he had died, and they wanted nothing to do with their, now mutant, child.  The MC goes off, has adventures, becomes king of the Wu, re-encounters his rapist, falls in love and knocks the rapist up, and they live happily ever after.

The game is written in the era where the Wu are a persecuted minority, but they have the advantages of fast healing, being stronger, smarter, tougher, and having magic. As well as being able to turn their enemies into them through violation.  If you have seen the game Bellum Maga (a game where feminist witches battle patriarchy and satan) it is basically the same game only with homosexuals instead of feminists.

1. sorta both.  I'm not part of that crowd, so I don't really know how they think, back when the review of the game was done on TBP it was seen as a bad game.  Now they would probably see it as "the message is good, but the wording is problematic"
2. one of my friends from college said the books read like they were written by a heterosexual woman who didn't understand how gay sex between 2 men worked.
3. probably gets a pass because of reasons.  if they toned down, or got rid of the rape, they would probably be more in favor of it. again not part of that crowd, so I don't know how they think.

remial

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • r
  • Posts: 321
    • View Profile
Chuck Tingle RPG has launched
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2019, 09:16:19 PM »
Quote from: Armchair Gamer;1103996
I still remain deeply disturbed that Wraeththu somehow made it into Barnes & Noble distribution channels. I saw a copy on the shelves of one back when it was new. Best-case scenario was that it was an exchanged copy or an abandoned special order ...

yeah, well so did Zweihander, in fact I even saw a copy at the local Target.  Mind you it was in with the board books that are targeted to children ages 0-3.  Which means either it was misshelved, or someone at the store has read it.  :P

ThatChrisGuy

  • Middle-aged Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • T
  • Posts: 523
    • View Profile
    • http://southernstylegurps.blogspot.com/
Chuck Tingle RPG has launched
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2019, 09:25:43 PM »
Quote from: remial;1104041
yeah, well so did Zweihander, in fact I even saw a copy at the local Target.  Mind you it was in with the board books that are targeted to children ages 0-3.  Which means either it was misshelved, or someone at the store has read it.  :P

Put that scroll of "Summon Sockpuppet" away!
I made a blog: Southern Style GURPS

remial

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • r
  • Posts: 321
    • View Profile
Chuck Tingle RPG has launched
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2019, 03:57:13 AM »
Quote from: ThatChrisGuy;1104042
Put that scroll of "Summon Sockpuppet" away!

sorry, my bad.

The_Shadow

  • Upstanding Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1420
    • View Profile
Chuck Tingle RPG has launched
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2019, 07:33:04 AM »
How the hell did Zweihander go from an uninspired clone game to a best-seller on the strength of persistent round-the-clock self-promotion? If there's a lesson in marketing there, it's a disheartening one.
You can shake your fists at the sky. You can do a rain dance. You can ignore the clouds completely. But none of them move the clouds.

- Dave "The Inexorable" Noonan solicits community feedback before 4e's release

Alamar

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 26
    • View Profile
Chuck Tingle RPG has launched
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2019, 01:07:26 PM »
Is this real or some kind of troll? I guess it could've been ZQ herself using the title character as a pseudonym. Anybody know for sure though?

jhkim

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8679
    • View Profile
Chuck Tingle RPG has launched
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2019, 07:40:18 PM »
Quote from: Alamar;1104252
Is this real or some kind of troll? I guess it could've been ZQ herself using the title character as a pseudonym. Anybody know for sure though?
Well, there's an argument that all of Chuck Tingle's work is some kind of troll. But as far as I can see, the RPG is as real as the rest of Chuck Tingle's work. It's promoted on his official web page alongside the rest of his books.

Spinachcat

  • Toxic SocioCat
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • S
  • Posts: 14069
    • View Profile
Chuck Tingle RPG has launched
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2019, 05:15:21 AM »
Quote from: The_Shadow;1104224
How the hell did Zweihander go from an uninspired clone game to a best-seller on the strength of persistent round-the-clock self-promotion? If there's a lesson in marketing there, it's a disheartening one.

All marketing lessons are disheartening!!

Zweihander succeeded by the author being an unrelenting douche at the right time when WFRP 2e players had nothing to buy.

Warder

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
Chuck Tingle RPG has launched
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2019, 03:22:51 PM »

soltakss

  • RQ Fogey
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1430
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
Chuck Tingle RPG has launched
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2019, 02:53:12 PM »
I had to google Chuck Tingle, as I had never heard of him. Hmmm, the PC types make sorta sense, based on my skim reading of the titles that google shows, not sure what trots are, as that word means something else in England, but they might be opponents. Not sure what the hundreds of moves mean, as all the book summaries I saw involved Chuck Tingle being banged by various creatures or people.

I think it might have a very limited appeal.
Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism  since 1982.

http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/index.html
Alternate Earth: http://alternateearthrq.soltakss.com/index.html