This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.
The message boards have been upgraded. Please log in to your existing account by clicking here. It will ask twice, so that it can properly update your password and login information. If it has trouble recognizing your password, click the 'Forgot your password?' link to reset it with a new password sent to your email address on file.

Author Topic: 2020 Ennies - so much garbage  (Read 6318 times)

Mjollnir

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 114
    • View Profile
2020 Ennies - so much garbage
« on: July 08, 2020, 10:48:29 pm »
Voting for the ennies is open and I can't believe how many of the nominated products are such absolute trash. There are a few things that look pretty cool ("Moerk Borg Artpunk RPG" for example), but so many are just really dump with terrible, amateurish art.

The entryist cancer unmistakable, and the non-poz content is down to around 40-50%. In one particular case, a game ("BFF!") was written explicitly for tween girls but became "unexpectedly popular" amongst genderqueer 20-30 year old not-at-all-insufferable-or-clearly-deranged people.

Where spotlights the newly released gaming material that's actually good, stuff that would be nominated for awards in a hypothetical non-clown dimension?

http://www.ennie-awards.com/vote/2020/

Shawn Driscoll

  • Role-Play Purist
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2647
    • View Profile
2020 Ennies - so much garbage
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 11:06:24 pm »
Quote from: Mjollnir;1138603
Voting for the ennies is open and I can't believe how many of the nominated products are such absolute trash. There are a few things that look pretty cool ("Moerk Borg Artpunk RPG" for example), but so many are just really dump with terrible, amateurish art.

The entryist cancer unmistakable, and the non-poz content is down to around 40-50%. In one particular case, a game ("BFF!") was written explicitly for tween girls but became "unexpectedly popular" amongst genderqueer 20-30 year old not-at-all-insufferable-or-clearly-deranged people.

Where spotlights the newly released gaming material that's actually good, stuff that would be nominated for awards in a hypothetical non-clown dimension?

http://www.ennie-awards.com/vote/2020/

One clue are the Kickstarter games. Most of which that use bisexual lighting.

Omega

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • O
  • Posts: 14475
    • View Profile
2020 Ennies - so much garbage
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 11:12:27 pm »
You think this is a joke. Wait till Origins awards. That will be all sorts of special.

trechriron

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1847
    • View Profile
    • https://www.trechriron.com
2020 Ennies - so much garbage
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 04:56:54 am »
What is non-poz?  What is bisexual lighting? How do you know they are deranged? Did you do a poll?

I looked through all the awards and felt super meh. Nonplussed. Not impressed. Maybe the bisexual lighting would have helped? I don't consider myself gender queer but these days my feelings on it hardly matter. Someone may have declared me gender queer and now I have to buy this game.
Trentin C Bergeron (trechriron)
Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast

----------------------------------------------------------------------
All About Me, RPG Stuff...
D.O.N.G. Black-Belt (Thanks tenbones!)
Unfortunately for the perma-offended, reality lacks a trigger warning. - Warboss Squee

Rithuan

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • R
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
2020 Ennies - so much garbage
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 12:00:57 pm »
Electric Bastionland is a cool game. And Trilemma has awesome maps. My two cents.

oggsmash

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1155
    • View Profile
2020 Ennies - so much garbage
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 12:12:29 pm »
Quote from: trechriron;1138627
What is non-poz?  What is bisexual lighting? How do you know they are deranged? Did you do a poll?

I looked through all the awards and felt super meh. Nonplussed. Not impressed. Maybe the bisexual lighting would have helped? I don't consider myself gender queer but these days my feelings on it hardly matter. Someone may have declared me gender queer and now I have to buy this game.

  Not quite pink or blue?  weird greenish maybe?

Brad

  • No me gusta
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2450
    • View Profile
2020 Ennies - so much garbage
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 12:20:21 pm »
Quote from: Rithuan;1138657
And Trilemma has awesome maps.

Is that the guy that makes the free dungeon maps? Only product on that list I recognized, everything else is just word salad. But my opinion is probably irrelevant because I don't use social media or post on rpg.net.

Mistwell

  • Smarter than Arduin
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3260
    • View Profile
2020 Ennies - so much garbage
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 02:00:08 pm »
Quote from: Mjollnir;1138603
Voting for the ennies is open and I can't believe how many of the nominated products are such absolute trash. There are a few things that look pretty cool ("Moerk Borg Artpunk RPG" for example), but so many are just really dump with terrible, amateurish art.

The entryist cancer unmistakable, and the non-poz content is down to around 40-50%. In one particular case, a game ("BFF!") was written explicitly for tween girls but became "unexpectedly popular" amongst genderqueer 20-30 year old not-at-all-insufferable-or-clearly-deranged people.

Where spotlights the newly released gaming material that's actually good, stuff that would be nominated for awards in a hypothetical non-clown dimension?

http://www.ennie-awards.com/vote/2020/

Dude, you can volunteer to be an Ennies judge. They need volunteers every year. If you don't like how they're judging, then you do it. Such lazy slacktivism. Whine bitch moan and complain...except when you have to do the work of reading hundreds of entries yourself and talk to people about nominations.

BFF is in the FAMILY GAMING category by the way, not in the BEST GAME category. My daughter saw it and thought it looked cool. She's 9. It's clearly in the right category. No idea if it's any good but I suspect it probably is. It is, in fact, a tween girls game. It's written by a mother who is a children's book author, and her son. It's listed in the only category that would cover tween girl games.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 02:14:57 pm by Mistwell »

Snowman0147

  • Now Even More Frosty
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2927
    • View Profile
2020 Ennies - so much garbage
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 04:18:34 pm »
I recognize almost none of these games.  That is not a good thing.

Mjollnir

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 114
    • View Profile
2020 Ennies - so much garbage
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 04:21:41 pm »
Quote from: Rithuan;1138657
Electric Bastionland is a cool game. And Trilemma has awesome maps. My two cents.

Trilemma is another one that looks pretty good.

Quote from: Mistwell;1138668
Dude, you can volunteer to be an Ennies judge. They need volunteers every year. If you don't like how they're judging, then you do it. Such lazy slacktivism. Whine bitch moan and complain...except when you have to do the work of reading hundreds of entries yourself and talk to people about nominations.

Looks like I hit a nerve. I haven't had the best opinion of the ennies for quite some time, I remember a couple of years back concluding that Gold always just went to the biggest kid on the block, regardless of quality, and that was bad enough. Since the ascendancy of poz, it seems to have shifted from the biggest to the gayest (at least in terms of nominees).

Quote from: Mistwell;1138668
BFF is in the FAMILY GAMING category by the way, not in the BEST GAME category. My daughter saw it and thought it looked cool. She's 9. It's clearly in the right category. No idea if it's any good but I suspect it probably is. It is, in fact, a tween girls game. It's written by a mother who is a children's book author, and her son. It's listed in the only category that would cover tween girl games.

That's the funny thing. It doesn't bother me that games exist that don't appeal to me, and I'm legitimately happy that young girls have games they like
 BUT despite the fact that BFF! was designed for young girls, it's apparent popularity far exceeds their influence. The adult sodomite demographic that seems to be drawn to children's products is what I find disturbing. There are several nominated games that have a similar aesthetic - looks like a children's book but the illustrated characters are  a virtual checklist of fat, black, brown, cripples, and hijabs. These games are made by and for people with nose rings, the sides of their heads shaved and their hair dyed in unnatural colors, problem glasses, numerous mental health issues, and HIV. Their predominance in the list of nominees is simply an indication of the level of infiltration by the sjwubbleyoos into the "institutions" of the hobby. They live to infiltrate and ruin institutions.

jeff37923

  • Knight of Common Sense
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 16873
    • View Profile
2020 Ennies - so much garbage
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 06:05:06 pm »
Quote from: Mjollnir;1138603
Voting for the ennies is open

http://www.ennie-awards.com/vote/2020/

I just went through the list and voted everything as No Vote.

Lynn

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1826
    • View Profile
2020 Ennies - so much garbage
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 06:39:02 pm »
A Pound of Flesh is listed under a few. That's an expansion / adventure book for Mothership. I have only glanced at the PDF so far and am awaiting my print copy from the Kickstarter.

Its worth checking out the Questing Beast reviews of Mothership and A Pound of Flesh. To me, this is a much better sort of implementation of an "Alien" RPG than anything else I have seen.

For such a small game they pack in a lot of value and offer some interesting lessons in design.
Lynn Fredricks
Entrepreneurial Hat Collector

insubordinate polyhedral

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • i
  • Posts: 338
    • View Profile
2020 Ennies - so much garbage
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 07:36:09 pm »
Quote from: Lynn;1138744
A Pound of Flesh is listed under a few. That's an expansion / adventure book for Mothership. I have only glanced at the PDF so far and am awaiting my print copy from the Kickstarter.

Its worth checking out the Questing Beast reviews of Mothership and A Pound of Flesh. To me, this is a much better sort of implementation of an "Alien" RPG than anything else I have seen.

For such a small game they pack in a lot of value and offer some interesting lessons in design.

I'd be interested in a thread on your opinions and highlights on the interesting design ideas, if you're willing. :D

Mistwell

  • Smarter than Arduin
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3260
    • View Profile
2020 Ennies - so much garbage
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 11:24:26 am »
Quote from: Mjollnir;1138708
Trilemma is another one that looks pretty good.



Looks like I hit a nerve. I haven't had the best opinion of the ennies for quite some time, I remember a couple of years back concluding that Gold always just went to the biggest kid on the block, regardless of quality, and that was bad enough. Since the ascendancy of poz, it seems to have shifted from the biggest to the gayest (at least in terms of nominees).



That's the funny thing. It doesn't bother me that games exist that don't appeal to me, and I'm legitimately happy that young girls have games they like
 BUT despite the fact that BFF! was designed for young girls, it's apparent popularity far exceeds their influence. The adult sodomite demographic that seems to be drawn to children's products is what I find disturbing. There are several nominated games that have a similar aesthetic - looks like a children's book but the illustrated characters are  a virtual checklist of fat, black, brown, cripples, and hijabs. These games are made by and for people with nose rings, the sides of their heads shaved and their hair dyed in unnatural colors, problem glasses, numerous mental health issues, and HIV. Their predominance in the list of nominees is simply an indication of the level of infiltration by the sjwubbleyoos into the "institutions" of the hobby. They live to infiltrate and ruin institutions.

So to be clear,

1) because people you dislike also like the game, in addition to the tween girls the game was made for, it's wrong to nominate it as a tween girl game in the only category that tween girl games would fit (the family game section) because those people you dislike also like it?

2) the people you dislike are, "fat, black, brown, cripples, hijabs, nose rings, sides of their heads shaved, hair dyed in unnatural colors, problem glasses [Edit - I don't even know what this means], mental health issues, and HIV positive"?

Do I have that right?

FelixGamingX1

  • Master Templar
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 436
    • View Profile
    • https://knightstabletoprpg.com/
2020 Ennies - so much garbage
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 02:19:00 pm »
Last year I submit anything to the ENnies. Waste of time, really.
American writer and programmer, since 2016.
https://knightstabletoprpg.com/