This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.
The message boards have been upgraded. Please log in to your existing account by clicking here. It will ask twice, so that it can properly update your password and login information. If it has trouble recognizing your password, click the 'Forgot your password?' link to reset it with a new password sent to your email address on file.

Author Topic: Warhammer40k played I. Other systems  (Read 645 times)

Shaddilac

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Warhammer40k played I. Other systems
« on: July 05, 2020, 07:50:53 PM »
I am in the process of figuring out how to run Warhammer40k in either Cyperpunk or Savage Worlds. I would love some other people's ideas. I know that there are systems made specifically to play Warhammer40k but I personally do not like those games systems. I love the lore and all the possibilities there in.

RandyB

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • R
  • Posts: 873
    • View Profile
Warhammer40k played I. Other systems
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 08:55:54 AM »
Quote from: Shaddilac;1138111
I am in the process of figuring out how to run Warhammer40k in either Cyperpunk or Savage Worlds. I would love some other people's ideas. I know that there are systems made specifically to play Warhammer40k but I personally do not like those games systems. I love the lore and all the possibilities there in.

CP 2020 needs Maximum Metal, and I recommend Mekton Zeta. Use the compatibility rules in Mekton Zeta Plus to keep the CP feel in personal combat.

Spinachcat

  • Toxic SocioCat
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • S
  • Posts: 13861
    • View Profile
Warhammer40k played I. Other systems
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 07:24:53 PM »
I've run plenty of 40k with just the SW corebook. In the past, there were lots of online Savage conversions and resources to do 40k, so definitely search for those and see what works for you. If you have friends with 40k minis, SW works great with even medium battles involving vehicles. Much fun. I'd totally run that again.

Shaddilac

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 09:54:11 PM »
Quote from: Spinachcat;1138260
I've run plenty of 40k with just the SW corebook. In the past, there were lots of online Savage conversions and resources to do 40k, so definitely search for those and see what works for you. If you have friends with 40k minis, SW works great with even medium battles involving vehicles. Much fun. I'd totally run that again.


Thank you so much!

Shaddilac

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Warhammer40k played I. Other systems
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 09:54:53 PM »
Thanks I will look for those

oggsmash

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1057
    • View Profile
Warhammer40k played I. Other systems
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 03:33:44 PM »
Quote from: Shaddilac;1138111
I am in the process of figuring out how to run Warhammer40k in either Cyperpunk or Savage Worlds. I would love some other people's ideas. I know that there are systems made specifically to play Warhammer40k but I personally do not like those games systems. I love the lore and all the possibilities there in.

 I agree about the written systems, both the old and the new.   What sort of game are you looking to run?  A battle style game?  A rogue trader game?  A inquisitor themed game?  Or something else?   I vote for Savage worlds, hands down.   Put that gritty damage in, and you will have guys with cybernetic eyes or augmetic arms in no time.

Shaddilac

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Warhammer40k played I. Other systems
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 11:03:21 AM »
An Inquisition type game but as seen by players that live on a world controlled by chaos forces. the players and world in general is so far from the imperium worlds that they don't know what happened and have been generations told that Horus is the true emperor.

Ghostmaker

  • Chlorine trifluoride
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 714
    • View Profile
Warhammer40k played I. Other systems
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 09:05:40 AM »
How are you handling corruption and insanity? Both of those are elements inquisitors and their retinues must deal with.

Harl Quinn

  • Veteran of the Clone Wars
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
    • View Profile
Warhammer40k played I. Other systems
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 08:16:39 PM »
To further help, here's a character sheet I made up but have yet to use. It's for the previous edition (Deluxe, not SWADE), so YMMV.

[SPOILER]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]4663[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4664[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4665[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4666[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4667[/ATTACH]
[/SPOILER]

Dammit, now I need to finish my own conversions so I can run this at the next convention that presents itself... :D

Harl Quinn
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 08:19:26 PM by Harl Quinn »
"...maybe this has to do with my being around at the start of published RPGs and the DIY attitude that we all had back then but, it seems to me that if you don't find whatever RPG you are playing sufficiently inclusive you ought to get up off your ass and GM something that you do find sufficiently inclusive. The RPG setting of your dreams is yours to create. Don't sit waiting and whining for someone else to create it for you." -- Bren speaking on inclusivity in RPGs

CRKrueger

  • Hulk in the Vineyard
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12440
    • View Profile
Warhammer40k played I. Other systems
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 10:32:06 PM »
Someone is working on Savage Grimdark at the PegINC site here.

BTW, while based on 40k, you’re talking about an RPG.  I’d ask for this to be moved to the main RPG forum, it will get more eyeballs.
Even the the "cutting edge" storygamers for all their talk of narrative, plot, and drama are fucking obsessed with the god damned rules they use. - Estar

Yes, Sean Connery's thumb does indeed do megadamage. - Spinachcat

Isuldur is a badass because he stopped Sauron with a broken sword, but Iluvatar is the badass because he stopped Sauron with a hobbit. -Malleus Arianorum

"Tangency Edition" D&D would have no classes or races, but 17 genders to choose from. -TristramEvans

Spinachcat

  • Toxic SocioCat
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • S
  • Posts: 13861
    • View Profile
Warhammer40k played I. Other systems
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 10:37:34 PM »
I'd consider using D6 for an Inquisitor game IF you're focused on a small heroic team ala Dark Heresy. I'm ok with the Dark Heresy 1e RPG, but I beat it with a stick until it behaves and I suspect D6 could achieve the same goal.

However, if you're thinking about a Inquisitor retinue that can field serious hardware and loyal troops in skirmish/mass combat, then Savage Worlds works nicely for filling the table with 40k toys. I ran an IG game with the concept the PCs were Big Damn Heroes pulled from various sources - we had an Ultramarine, an Inquisitor, legendary Commissar, IG heroes, etc. and they had an IG company at their disposal.  

I'd argue Savage Worlds works better for Necromunda than Necromunda. I've run a couple SW Necromunda one-shots and they were excellent - twice as much violence in half the time. Totally would run that again in a heartbeat. I imagine running Mordheim would have the same result.

Shaddilac

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Warhammer40k played I. Other systems
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 08:18:31 AM »
New here. How do I move the post to the main forum?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 08:19:25 AM by Shaddilac »

Shaddilac

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Warhammer40k played I. Other systems
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 08:23:25 AM »
Players will "earn" corruption and insanity throughout the campaign, I am using sort of a points system based on an old Cyberpunk cyber psychosis table.

HappyDaze

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • H
  • Posts: 2485
    • View Profile
Warhammer40k played I. Other systems
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 11:35:13 AM »
Quote from: Spinachcat;1140294
I'd consider using D6 for an Inquisitor game IF you're focused on a small heroic team ala Dark Heresy. I'm ok with the Dark Heresy 1e RPG, but I beat it with a stick until it behaves and I suspect D6 could achieve the same goal.

However, if you're thinking about a Inquisitor retinue that can field serious hardware and loyal troops in skirmish/mass combat, then Savage Worlds works nicely for filling the table with 40k toys. I ran an IG game with the concept the PCs were Big Damn Heroes pulled from various sources - we had an Ultramarine, an Inquisitor, legendary Commissar, IG heroes, etc. and they had an IG company at their disposal.  

I'd argue Savage Worlds works better for Necromunda than Necromunda. I've run a couple SW Necromunda one-shots and they were excellent - twice as much violence in half the time. Totally would run that again in a heartbeat. I imagine running Mordheim would have the same result.

I've been in a short (3-session) run of a Warhammer 40K Inquisition styled game using the Cinematic Unisystem rules. It worked rather well IMO.