This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.
The message boards have been upgraded. Please log in to your existing account by clicking here. It will ask twice, so that it can properly update your password and login information. If it has trouble recognizing your password, click the 'Forgot your password?' link to reset it with a new password sent to your email address on file.

Author Topic: Apocalypse World - where is the love ?  (Read 6133 times)

noisms

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1231
    • View Profile
Apocalypse World - where is the love ?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 05:29:46 pm »
Quote from: silva;601002
Hmmm... dont think so. In the case of Apocalypse World, I think the hate is moved by envy, not ignorance.


The idea that Apocalypse World is a "story game" is so idiotic to anybody who's actually played it that it's clear whoever is responsible for the thread move has simply decided "Vincent Baker, Forge, toys, pram, thrown" in something like that order. I think envy plays a part, but it's mostly down to being blinkered, uneducated, moronic, and unthinking.
Read my blog, Monsters and Manuals, for campaign ideas, opinionated ranting, and collected game-related miscellania.

Buy Yoon-Suin, a campaign toolbox for fantasy games, giving you the equipment necessary to run a sandbox campaign in your own Yoon-Suin - a region of high adventure shrouded in ancient mysteries, opium smoke, great luxury and opulent cruelty.

Skywalker

  • Ron Hates On Zebra
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3636
    • View Profile
Apocalypse World - where is the love ?
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 05:43:20 pm »
Quote from: Thalaba;600996
What don't you like about it?


I am not a big fan of postapoclyptic games, and the way it was presented in AW didn't appeal. I also found the system a little too abstract, though very good.

Dungeon World and Monster of the Week are genres that I like more and they are a little less (though not much more) abstract.
Playing: D&D5e
Running: Tales from the Loop
Planning: Esper Genesis, Kult Divinity Lost

silva

  • BANNED
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1091
    • View Profile
Apocalypse World - where is the love ?
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 07:11:15 pm »
Sky, how is that so ? How is DW less abstract than AW ? (not nitpicking or anything like that man, just curious really ;) )

Quote
Quote
Actually, this thread makes me read reviews about this game, and my loathing of the system grows the more i read about it. It is the contradiction of many things i like in RPGs. For example the "no given type can be in a group more than once".

It doesnt sound more absurd to me than D&D´s "mages cant wear armor" or "fire-and-forget" spells.


Just to correct myself here: I didnt intend to call those D&D features really absurd. They are like that because they serve a intended design, and they fit perfectly in it. But judged isolated they could sound as absurd as any other feature. Thats my point, ok ?

Skywalker

  • Ron Hates On Zebra
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3636
    • View Profile
Apocalypse World - where is the love ?
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 08:32:04 pm »
Quote from: silva;601045
Sky, how is that so ? How is DW less abstract than AW ? (not nitpicking or anything like that man, just curious really ;) )


Admittedly my experiences of Apocalypse World are limited and my main reason for not playing more is a lack of interest in the post-apocalyptic genre, but I found the attributes, moves and playbooks in AW to be less concrete than the DW equivalents. For example, I didn't like having a "Hot +1" attribute :)
Playing: D&D5e
Running: Tales from the Loop
Planning: Esper Genesis, Kult Divinity Lost

Tommy Brownell

  • Magnificent
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2274
    • View Profile
    • http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com/
Apocalypse World - where is the love ?
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 10:09:05 pm »
Quote from: Internet Death;600975
The Apocalypse World Engine gets a lot of love on other forums.  I like it myself, but it seems like nobody really digs the Apocalypse World setting.  Predictably enough, people tend to prefer the boring and safe Dungeon World variant.

I've never tried to "hack" anything with AW, I like the original setting just fine.  I am looking forward to tremulus though.


tremulus is very fun. Ran a one on one game for a buddy for Halloween and he wants to try it again, taking the initiative to start selling one of our other players on it.

I also dig what I've read of Dungeon World and Monster of the Week, but I have no interest in Apocalypse World.
The Most Unread Blog on the Internet.  Ever. - My RPG, Comic and Video Game reviews and articles.

Justin Alexander

  • BANNED
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • J
  • Posts: 3057
    • View Profile
Apocalypse World - where is the love ?
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 10:22:24 pm »
Quote from: Skywalker;600991
BTW you may have got more love for Apocalypse World had it been placed in the RPG forum and not other games (or did mods arbitrarily move this one :confused:).


I'm guessing they moved it. There was a troll on here a few months back who claimed it was an STG (it isn't) and the mods, who have no direct experience with the game, were convinced by his ramblings.

Based on the mini-campaign I played in awhile back, I'm a huge fan of Apocalypse World. My next major, dedicated campaign as a GM will likely be an Apocalypse World game.

What I was particularly struck by with the game is the explicit game structures it contains. In this it is very similar to the OD&D rulebooks, although the actual structures being defined by Baker are completely different from the dungeon-crawling and proto-hexcrawl structures that Arneson and Gygax were laying out.

Quote from: Phantom Black;600997
Actually, this thread makes me read reviews about this game, and my loathing of the system grows the more i read about it. It is the contradiction of many things i like in RPGs. For example the "no given type can be in a group more than once". That's just contrived Forger bullshit.


AD&D 1e PHB, pg. 25: "No more than three rangers may ever operate together at any time."

It's old than you think.

Although, yes, this is something I'd prefer to treat as a strongly suggested guideline than a hard-and-fast rule.
Note: this sig cut for personal slander and harassment by a lying tool who has been engaging in stalking me all over social media with filthy lies - RPGPundit

RPGPundit

  • Administrator - The Final Boss of Internet Shitlords
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 46666
    • View Profile
    • http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com
Apocalypse World - where is the love ?
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 10:54:10 pm »
Given that Silva posted a previous thread about this subject, long ago, which was also moved to Other games because we've established that this is a storygame, it shouldn't be a surprise to him or anyone else that we've moved this thread too.

RPGPundit
LION & DRAGON: Medieval-Authentic OSR Roleplaying is available now! You only THINK you've played 'medieval fantasy' until you play L&D.


My Blog:  http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com/
The most famous uruguayan gaming blog on the planet!

NEW!
Check out my short OSR supplements series; The RPGPundit Presents!


Dark Albion: The Rose War! The OSR fantasy setting of the history that inspired Shakespeare and Martin alike.
Also available in Variant Cover form!
Also, now with the CULTS OF CHAOS cult-generation sourcebook

ARROWS OF INDRA
Arrows of Indra: The Old-School Epic Indian RPG!
NOW AVAILABLE: AoI in print form

LORDS OF OLYMPUS
The new Diceless RPG of multiversal power, adventure and intrigue, now available.

silva

  • BANNED
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1091
    • View Profile
Apocalypse World - where is the love ?
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 01:17:46 pm »
Fuck you.

Internet Death

  • Newbie
  • *
  • I
  • Posts: 44
    • View Profile
Apocalypse World - where is the love ?
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 03:56:50 pm »
Quote from: RPGPundit;601089
Given that Silva posted a previous thread about this subject, long ago, which was also moved to Other games because we've established that this is a storygame, it shouldn't be a surprise to him or anyone else that we've moved this thread too.

RPGPundit


Huh?  Storygames and Role-playing games are not mutually exclusive.  That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Skywalker

  • Ron Hates On Zebra
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3636
    • View Profile
Apocalypse World - where is the love ?
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 04:04:39 pm »
Quote from: Internet Death;601247
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.


Welcome to TheRPGSite.
Playing: D&D5e
Running: Tales from the Loop
Planning: Esper Genesis, Kult Divinity Lost

noisms

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1231
    • View Profile
Apocalypse World - where is the love ?
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 05:11:45 pm »
Quote from: RPGPundit;601089
Given that Silva posted a previous thread about this subject, long ago, which was also moved to Other games because we've established that this is a storygame, it shouldn't be a surprise to him or anyone else that we've moved this thread too.

RPGPundit


Have you actually read it?
Read my blog, Monsters and Manuals, for campaign ideas, opinionated ranting, and collected game-related miscellania.

Buy Yoon-Suin, a campaign toolbox for fantasy games, giving you the equipment necessary to run a sandbox campaign in your own Yoon-Suin - a region of high adventure shrouded in ancient mysteries, opium smoke, great luxury and opulent cruelty.

DKChannelBoredom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 796
    • View Profile
Apocalypse World - where is the love ?
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 02:22:57 am »
Just forget about the whole "thisisn'tanXXXgame" discussion, it's really not worth it. Let's just talk (up) the merits of Apocalypse World.

I was rather sceptic to begin with, even after reading through it the first time, but over the last year or so, I've been won over. Why?

Because it's good and freakin' dynamic.

In every fight we've had in my LotFP-campaign, there's been soooo many boring rolls ending in misses (combination of high AC/low attack bonuses). These misses, even for all my descriptions and battlefield bravado, does nothing for our game. They are misses and result in nothing.

In Apocalypse World, every bad roll creates new situations and more drama. When ever your character fails something, it has to make som hard choices. And these choices aren't just related to stats or numbers on the character sheet - it's stuff that affects the group and the world surrounding the characters. So just like a succes pushes the action forward, so does a failed roll. That's brilliant, especially combined with the list, both combat-stuff and in the playbooks, which makes these choices easy to use, but hard to make.

And by having the players making the decisions, you include them in the drama, more than if it is you as a gm making making up the outcome of fights and conflicts. This, in my oppinion, creates a perfect system for sandbox games, where no one knows where the session will end up.
Running: Blades in the Dark
Playing: Mainly boardgames
Quote from: Cranewings;410955
Cocain is more popular than rp so there is bound to be some crossover.

Ladybird

  • \"Demonic cleric\"
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2875
    • View Profile
Apocalypse World - where is the love ?
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 08:32:09 am »
Quote from: DKChannelBoredom;601365
Just forget about the whole "thisisn'tanXXXgame" discussion, it's really not worth it. Let's just talk (up) the merits of Apocalypse World.

I was rather sceptic to begin with, even after reading through it the first time, but over the last year or so, I've been won over. Why?

Because it's good and freakin' dynamic.

In every fight we've had in my LotFP-campaign, there's been soooo many boring rolls ending in misses (combination of high AC/low attack bonuses). These misses, even for all my descriptions and battlefield bravado, does nothing for our game. They are misses and result in nothing.

In Apocalypse World, every bad roll creates new situations and more drama. When ever your character fails something, it has to make som hard choices. And these choices aren't just related to stats or numbers on the character sheet - it's stuff that affects the group and the world surrounding the characters. So just like a succes pushes the action forward, so does a failed roll. That's brilliant, especially combined with the list, both combat-stuff and in the playbooks, which makes these choices easy to use, but hard to make.

And by having the players making the decisions, you include them in the drama, more than if it is you as a gm making making up the outcome of fights and conflicts. This, in my oppinion, creates a perfect system for sandbox games, where no one knows where the session will end up.


Yeah, but that's only making decisions for a character you are guiding through the exploration of an imaginary world. It's not really roleplaying, now is it.

:rolleyes:
one two FUCK YOU

CRKrueger

  • Hulk in the Vineyard
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12458
    • View Profile
Apocalypse World - where is the love ?
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 10:51:56 am »
Quote from: Ladybird;601392
Yeah, but that's only making decisions for a character you are guiding through the exploration of an imaginary world. It's not really roleplaying, now is it.

:rolleyes:


Depends whether or not you're making those decisions as the character. ;)
Even the the "cutting edge" storygamers for all their talk of narrative, plot, and drama are fucking obsessed with the god damned rules they use. - Estar

Yes, Sean Connery's thumb does indeed do megadamage. - Spinachcat

Isuldur is a badass because he stopped Sauron with a broken sword, but Iluvatar is the badass because he stopped Sauron with a hobbit. -Malleus Arianorum

"Tangency Edition" D&D would have no classes or races, but 17 genders to choose from. -TristramEvans

Bland Joe Dwarf

  • Newbie
  • *
  • B
  • Posts: 41
    • View Profile
Apocalypse World - where is the love ?
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 12:45:15 pm »
Quote from: RPGPundit;601089
Given that Silva posted a previous thread about this subject, long ago, which was also moved to Other games because we've established that this is a storygame, it shouldn't be a surprise to him or anyone else that we've moved this thread too.

RPGPundit


Even by the site's shallow definition, AW is a RPG, as the decision-making is tied to in-setting consequences
GMing: Game of Thrones d20, Vampire the Requiem
Playing: Warhammer Fantasy 2e