This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.
The message boards have been upgraded. Please log in to your existing account by clicking here. It will ask twice, so that it can properly update your password and login information. If it has trouble recognizing your password, click the 'Forgot your password?' link to reset it with a new password sent to your email address on file.

Author Topic: Any one have an opinion on 8th ed warhammer 40k yet?  (Read 1273 times)

Headless

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1864
    • View Profile
Any one have an opinion on 8th ed warhammer 40k yet?
« on: June 30, 2017, 03:22:05 pm »
8th ed is out.  Looks like they stream lined some stuff.  Anyone playing?

Headless

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1864
    • View Profile
Any one have an opinion on 8th ed warhammer 40k yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 12:15:04 am »
Guess not.

Voros

  • BANNED
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3537
    • View Profile
Any one have an opinion on 8th ed warhammer 40k yet?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 01:44:33 am »
I'm interested in WFRP but WH40K looked too broD&D for me. Probably a complete misapprehension based on the shitty art?

The trend these days happily is to streamline, I wonder if it's the influence of the indy games, OSR or (gasp!) both?

How streamlined are we talking? Have they cut back on the lore that sounds overblown and retarded simultaneously?

Headless

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1864
    • View Profile
Any one have an opinion on 8th ed warhammer 40k yet?
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 02:18:12 am »
All I know about war hammer I know from a couple of Codexes and 1d4 chan.  1d4 chan is awesome. And far, far better written than anything officially done by GW.

I don't think they cut down on lore, ever.  They just paper more shlock over top.  

Rules look stream lined.  It also looks like they have streem lined some of the 'cool' and the 'tatics' out of it.  But it should play faster.

Spinachcat

  • Toxic SocioCat
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • S
  • Posts: 13984
    • View Profile
Any one have an opinion on 8th ed warhammer 40k yet?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 04:14:05 am »
My 40k buddies have given it a meh. I am most interested in the Kill Team / small skirmish rules and haven't seen those yet.

Dumarest

  • Vaquero
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3685
    • View Profile
Any one have an opinion on 8th ed warhammer 40k yet?
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 03:15:49 pm »
Sorry, all I know about Warhammer is that it costs a lot of money and takes up a lot of tables at the local game store, resulting in resentment from the Magic card-game crowd that wants to take up the same space. It's only a matter of time before the long knives drink deeply of nerd blood.

Michael Gray

  • Elf Murder Clown
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Any one have an opinion on 8th ed warhammer 40k yet?
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 10:49:38 am »
I'm liking it so far; we have a pretty steady group that plays. The rules are very streamlined and they seem to be getting a lot of use out of keywords and special abilities to do the heavy lifting on how an army plays. I'm pretty satisfied with how my Dark Eldar and Harlequins came out in the Xenos I index (7th Edition DEldar were kind of shit; Both 7th and 6th Edition were "Use Flyers or GTFO"); it seems like the Tau players are the ones crying the most. Seems like they have to pay points for stuff they got for free last time. Tyranids and Genestealer Cult seems to be getting a big boost.

We're all very pleased with the Narrative Play's Power Level system. It gets you pretty close in army strength and you don't have to account for every little point. Though Matched Play still allows those options.

All in all we're satisfied, and I'll probably continue to be as long as Matt Ward stays out of the codex writing business.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:32:25 am by Michael Gray »
Currently Running - Deadlands: Reloaded

Headless

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1864
    • View Profile
Any one have an opinion on 8th ed warhammer 40k yet?
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 04:15:30 am »
Quote from: Michael Gray;973287
I'm liking it so far; we have a pretty steady group that plays. The rules are very streamlined and they seem to be getting a lot of use out of keywords and special abilities to do the heavy lifting on how an army plays. I'm pretty satisfied with how my Dark Eldar and Harlequins came out in the Xenos I index (7th Edition DEldar were kind of shit; Both 7th and 6th Edition were "Use Flyers or GTFO"); it seems like the Tau players are the ones crying the most. Seems like they have to pay points for stuff they got for free last time. Tyranids and Genestealer Cult seems to be getting a big boost.

We're all very pleased with the Narrative Play's Power Level system. It gets you pretty close in army strength and you don't have to account for every little point. Though Matched Play still allows those options.

All in all we're satisfied, and I'll probably continue to be as long as Matt Ward stays out of the codex writing business.

I want to run Slaanesh deamons.  But they never get any love.  All the ablity to customize was stripped from the deamons.  And Slaanesh get the least support.  Fewest charcters etc.

That said Harlies and Sadists look like a fun combo.  

I'd like to run walkers and bikes.  Something with a Hard stompy center and fast glass hammers swirling around it.  
How are the Talos?

Michael Gray

  • Elf Murder Clown
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Any one have an opinion on 8th ed warhammer 40k yet?
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 09:06:18 am »
Quote from: Headless;973485
I want to run Slaanesh deamons.  But they never get any love.  All the ablity to customize was stripped from the deamons.  And Slaanesh get the least support.  Fewest charcters etc.

That said Harlies and Sadists look like a fun combo.  

I'd like to run walkers and bikes.  Something with a Hard stompy center and fast glass hammers swirling around it.  
How are the Talos?

I've never used the Talos, the Chronos or really any of the Haemonculous Coven stuff. The datasheet looks pretty good for all of it. Dark Eldar in general are much better positioned as an army, 7th kind of gutted them. At least IMO. But, I'm more the "Strike hard, strike fast, and leave chaos (but not that kind of chaos) in your wake" kind of player. So I don't really have much in the way of heavy support outside of Scourges with heat lances (DElf melta) and the dark lances on my Raiders. The good news is vehicles of all stripes are much tougher and all the elf bikes are really good, though I think the Harlequin one might just be one of the best in the game.
Currently Running - Deadlands: Reloaded

David Johansen

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • D
  • Posts: 5372
    • View Profile
Any one have an opinion on 8th ed warhammer 40k yet?
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 09:08:14 am »
With the loss of the to hit and to wound tables and the order dice it's looking a whole lot like Mantic's new edition of Warpath that came out three months ago.  Mantic has gotten so good at copying GW that they're doing it before GW gets the product out the door.  :D
My new website is a mess http://www.uncouthsavage.com but actually should be working now!

Michael Gray

  • Elf Murder Clown
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Any one have an opinion on 8th ed warhammer 40k yet?
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 10:47:27 am »
On the Talos:

It's looking like a pretty nice Heavy Support choice: 8" move so it's not too slow. S6, T6, W7. 3+ save, with a 5++ for those nasty AP weapons and it also benefits from Power from Pain. Comes with 2 splinter cannons and 2 macro-scalpels standard, but you can replace those with all sorts of nasty shit (chain flails, liquifier guns, etc.). If I fielded Haemonculi I'd definitely take it.
Currently Running - Deadlands: Reloaded

Piestrio

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2708
    • View Profile
Any one have an opinion on 8th ed warhammer 40k yet?
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 02:48:49 pm »
I'm liking it.

Ditching all the old codexes gave them the freedom to really address some problems. It's very much streamlined and seems much better balanced. Games have been quicker and bloodier than the last version as everything can theoretically hurt everything now and defense seems reduced across the board.

I play Guard and for the first time in a while my ground pounders don't feel useless, last week my massed infantry took down a Primarus Marine squad and razorback :p
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:59:15 pm by Piestrio »
Disclaimer: I attach no moral weight to the way you choose to pretend to be an elf.

Currently running: The Great Pendragon Campaign & DC Adventures - Timberline
Currently Playing: AD&D

Warboss Squee

  • Lord of the Dance
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3037
    • View Profile
Any one have an opinion on 8th ed warhammer 40k yet?
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 10:36:08 pm »
Quote from: Piestrio;973585
I'm liking it.

Ditching all the old codexes gave them the freedom to really address some problems. It's very much streamlined and seems much better balanced. Games have been quicker and bloodier than the last version as everything can theoretically hurt everything now and defense seems reduced across the board.

I play Guard and for the first time in a while my ground pounders don't feel useless, last week my massed infantry took down a Primarus Marine squad and razorback :p

It's amazing when Guard really live up to the idea of dakka till it's dead.  The way IC work with Guard units now is giving me issues though.