This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.
NOTICE: Some online security services are reporting that information for a limited number of users from this site is for sale on the "dark web." As of right now, there is no direct evidence of this, but change your password just to be safe.

Author Topic: The Mandalorian Season 1  (Read 6727 times)

Lurkndog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
The Mandalorian Season 1
« on: November 13, 2019, 12:25:24 PM »
I've seen the first episode, and it's pretty good. It feels like Star Wars, and so far the main character is both likeable and enigmatic. Never takes his helmet off, but so far we only see him when he's on the clock. Good supporting cast, too.

That said, I'm a little surprised by the production values. While some of the effects are flawless, like the spaceship and location CGI, others are surprisingly creaky. I liked that they used a lot of practical stuff, but there were points where it was obvious that the props were wobbly and/or insubstantial.

And so far, not a lot of big picture stuff going on. That may change as the season moves on.

But so far, so good. I say check it out for yourself.

Ratman_tf

  • Alt-Reich Shitlord
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6357
The Mandalorian Season 1
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 12:33:46 PM »
I'll have to wait for it to come out on video or something. I'm not interested in another online streaming subscription.
The notion of an exclusionary and hostile RPG community is a fever dream of zealots who view all social dynamics through a narrow keyhole of structural oppression.
-Haffrung

estar

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 9661
The Mandalorian Season 1
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 06:46:59 PM »
For me the Mandalorian successfully captured the Star Wars vibe although from a bounty hunter's pov. The ending of the episode was nice cliffhanger. Plus finally got to see what those weird thin bounty hunter droid do that we saw in Empire Strikes Back.

For context the show takes place 5 years after the Return of the Jedi.

I have spoken ;)

Lurkndog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
The Mandalorian Season 1
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 11:24:39 PM »
Quote from: estar;1113828
I have spoken ;)

I like that line too. Hope the old guy shows up again in future episodes.

Ratman_tf

  • Alt-Reich Shitlord
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6357
The Mandalorian Season 1
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 11:31:53 PM »
Well, my brother/roommate ponied up a subscription, so we watched it.

I'm liking it so far. A merciful minimum of CGI, and some good callouts to Star Wars lore. The electric prod/gun thing from the Holiday Special cartoon especially amused me.
The notion of an exclusionary and hostile RPG community is a fever dream of zealots who view all social dynamics through a narrow keyhole of structural oppression.
-Haffrung

Kiero

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • K
  • Posts: 2115
The Mandalorian Season 1
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 06:41:47 AM »
Any signs of the woke blandness that plague all the new-new Star Wars (barring Rogue One)?
Currently running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia in 300BC.

Our podcast site, In Sanity We Trust Productions.

Lurkndog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
The Mandalorian Season 1
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 11:23:28 AM »
Not so far. If anything, they seem to be channeling Clint Eastwood in The Outlaw Josey Wales, and that's not a bad thing.

Omega

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • O
  • Posts: 15097
The Mandalorian Season 1
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 10:18:42 PM »
Quote from: estar;1113828
I have spoken ;)
Quote from: Lurkndog;1113848
I like that line too. Hope the old guy shows up again in future episodes.

I did not know there were Lil Abner fans here? :o

HappyDaze

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • H
  • Posts: 3534
The Mandalorian Season 1
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »
Over the last few years I've come to loathe Star Wars, but I gave this a shot. I like the first episode enough that I'll keep watching for now.

Crusader X

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 94
    • Blade Crusade
The Mandalorian Season 1
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 08:57:49 AM »
First episode was good, the second one was even better.  No SJWisms or woke blandness at all so far.
Book & Blade – my free Knave hack

Rich H

  • Newbie
  • *
  • R
  • Posts: 9
The Mandalorian Season 1
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 02:22:32 PM »
Watched episode 1 a bit back and 2 last night. Really enjoyable and has a great Star Wars frontier vibe to it - thinking about how they've put the main character permanently in a helmet is a lot riskier than I think a lot of us thought. I mean its obviously a cool character but a lot of the characterisation could easily get lost but so far it hasn't - I'm really getting a sense of his character and personality.  

First post here by-the-way after lurking on a profile for years. Topic banned on Star Wars at the Big Purple for posting this:

Had the pleasure of watching the first one last night and really enjoyed it so looking forward to this. Bit concerned that I'm thinking this is better than it actually is due to the low bar set by the crap that was the Last Jedi and the bad stuff I'm hearing about Rise of Skywalker but I don't care - with this show I'm actually getting to watch some Star Wars that I don't just enjoy but actually looks to be developing into a pretty damn good series!

So I've decide to just scramble my password and not bother with it and 'hello' to everyone here! :)

Lurkndog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
The Mandalorian Season 1
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 11:15:24 PM »
Holy cow, the old guy was Nick Nolte!

I remember him being taller...

Yeah, I liked the second episode as well.

I'm not 100% sold on buying Disney+, but the Blu-rays for The Mandalorian are going to be a must-have.

Also, apparently the old guy's name is Kuiil.

Lurkndog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
The Mandalorian Season 1
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 11:17:47 PM »
Quote from: Rich H;1114137
Watched episode 1 a bit back and 2 last night. Really enjoyable and has a great Star Wars frontier vibe to it - thinking about how they've put the main character permanently in a helmet is a lot riskier than I think a lot of us thought. I mean its obviously a cool character but a lot of the characterisation could easily get lost but so far it hasn't - I'm really getting a sense of his character and personality.  

First post here by-the-way after lurking on a profile for years. Topic banned on Star Wars at the Big Purple for posting this:

Had the pleasure of watching the first one last night and really enjoyed it so looking forward to this. Bit concerned that I'm thinking this is better than it actually is due to the low bar set by the crap that was the Last Jedi and the bad stuff I'm hearing about Rise of Skywalker but I don't care - with this show I'm actually getting to watch some Star Wars that I don't just enjoy but actually looks to be developing into a pretty damn good series!

So I've decide to just scramble my password and not bother with it and 'hello' to everyone here! :)


Welcome!

Lurkndog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
The Mandalorian Season 1
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 11:37:29 PM »
In the first episode, the underworld client had a bunch of guys in dirty stormtrooper outfits working as his bodyguards. The question is, are they

A) Former Imperial stormtroopers now working as mercenaries

B) Mercenaries wearing secondhand stormtrooper armor

C) Stormtrooper wannabees, just common scum in trashed armor

Ratman_tf

  • Alt-Reich Shitlord
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6357
The Mandalorian Season 1
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2019, 12:05:37 AM »
Quote from: Lurkndog;1114157
In the first episode, the underworld client had a bunch of guys in dirty stormtrooper outfits working as his bodyguards. The question is, are they

A) Former Imperial stormtroopers now working as mercenaries

B) Mercenaries wearing secondhand stormtrooper armor

C) Stormtrooper wannabees, just common scum in trashed armor

I haven't seen the 2nd episode yet. My bet is Imperial Remnants, but that's just a guess, based on how they all seemed to have intact (if beat up) sets of ST armor.
The notion of an exclusionary and hostile RPG community is a fever dream of zealots who view all social dynamics through a narrow keyhole of structural oppression.
-Haffrung