Forum > Media and Inspiration

Gina Carano fired by Disney.

<< < (11/12) > >>

Lurkndog:

--- Quote from: oggsmash on August 16, 2021, 11:00:07 AM ---Given how much planning went into the Marvel movies, it is so strange that the same company had about zero planning on what should have been an even more lucrative license.

--- End quote ---

Marvel has rather an amazing team of planners and creative types, but they built that at Marvel while they were still independent. Disney has some lifetime creative geniuses, but all of the original guys are long gone, and I bet most of the wave that led the revival of the company in the 1990s are gone now too.

Historically, LucasArts did not develop a permanent internal ensemble of creators. They had George Lucas, and for a lot of things, they outsourced to ILM. Creative teams at LucasArts tend to disband after major projects end, and many creators went on to form their own production or effects houses outside of the LucasArts/ILM umbrella. Most of the Mythbusters crew were ex-ILM, for instance. The closest thing to a permanent core of creatives was the animation teams that worked on Clone Wars and Rebels, who got to work with George Lucas directly, and some of whom went on to work on Mandalorian.

Omega:

--- Quote from: Pat on August 16, 2021, 11:16:13 AM ---
--- Quote from: oggsmash on August 16, 2021, 11:00:07 AM ---
--- Quote from: Lurkndog on August 16, 2021, 09:17:08 AM ---Corruption breeds incompetence, and Hollywood is deeply corrupt.

I am kind of shocked at how badly the sequel trilogy was handled, though. How does someone get approval to launch a billion dollar movie trilogy without having a basic story outline?

--- End quote ---

   That part seems strange to me.  Given how much planning went into the Marvel movies, it is so strange that the same company had about zero planning on what should have been an even more lucrative license.

--- End quote ---
Project management is hard. It's amazing so many of the Marvel movies came out so well. It's not surprising than other franchises did poorly.

--- End quote ---


Hate to say it. But the Marvel movies are not as good as people keep making them out to be. Iron Man, Captain America, Doctor Strange, Thor even. They look nice but totally screw up the characters at every turn. Some of the sequels arent bad. Winter Soldier I liked and Avengers. The original X-men and Spider Man movies werent bad really. But the movies after progressively deviate from the source to the point they are approaching "in name only". Endgame in particular treats the characters so horribly.

Lurkndog:

--- Quote from: Omega on August 16, 2021, 08:46:44 PM ---Hate to say it. But the Marvel movies are not as good as people keep making them out to be. Iron Man, Captain America, Doctor Strange, Thor even. They look nice but totally screw up the characters at every turn. Some of the sequels arent bad. Winter Soldier I liked and Avengers. The original X-men and Spider Man movies werent bad really. But the movies after progressively deviate from the source to the point they are approaching "in name only". Endgame in particular treats the characters so horribly.

--- End quote ---

One of the problems you have with the Marvel characters is choosing which version of the characters to adapt. Some of them have changed radically over the years. For instance there are long stretches of the comics where Thor isn't Thor, and Tony Stark isn't Iron Man. The Marvel team did an excellent job of choosing which elements to bring together to make the movie versions of the characters, and which to leave out.

Even then, though, there were a lot of classic storylines that they simply didn't get to tell. They never really did Demon in a Glass Bottle for Iron Man, or Armor Wars, though they hinted at both in Iron Man 2. They never really did a classic standalone Captain America storyline where he simply fights some bad guys, either.

I also don't particularly like what they've done with Spider-Man, though Tom Holland is very good in the role.

oggsmash:

--- Quote from: Omega on August 16, 2021, 08:46:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: Pat on August 16, 2021, 11:16:13 AM ---
--- Quote from: oggsmash on August 16, 2021, 11:00:07 AM ---
--- Quote from: Lurkndog on August 16, 2021, 09:17:08 AM ---Corruption breeds incompetence, and Hollywood is deeply corrupt.

I am kind of shocked at how badly the sequel trilogy was handled, though. How does someone get approval to launch a billion dollar movie trilogy without having a basic story outline?

--- End quote ---

   That part seems strange to me.  Given how much planning went into the Marvel movies, it is so strange that the same company had about zero planning on what should have been an even more lucrative license.

--- End quote ---
Project management is hard. It's amazing so many of the Marvel movies came out so well. It's not surprising than other franchises did poorly.

--- End quote ---


Hate to say it. But the Marvel movies are not as good as people keep making them out to be. Iron Man, Captain America, Doctor Strange, Thor even. They look nice but totally screw up the characters at every turn. Some of the sequels arent bad. Winter Soldier I liked and Avengers. The original X-men and Spider Man movies werent bad really. But the movies after progressively deviate from the source to the point they are approaching "in name only". Endgame in particular treats the characters so horribly.

--- End quote ---

 I agree, but it also only amplifies my point, the movies do not have to be *that* good, they can just be freaking decent and in some ways a little consistent.  Do that, and do not flat out spit in the faces of fans, and you will print money.  The fact that Marvel understood that small bit, and the Star Wars crew seemed to actively work against it is still a little amazing.

Omega:

--- Quote from: oggsmash on August 16, 2021, 09:16:01 PM --- I agree, but it also only amplifies my point, the movies do not have to be *that* good, they can just be freaking decent and in some ways a little consistent.  Do that, and do not flat out spit in the faces of fans, and you will print money.  The fact that Marvel understood that small bit, and the Star Wars crew seemed to actively work against it is still a little amazing.

--- End quote ---

Except by endgame they have spit in the faces of the fans and the creators of the characters they have actively set out to thoroughly ruin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version