This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.
NOTICE: Some online security services are reporting that information for a limited number of users from this site is for sale on the "dark web." As of right now, there is no direct evidence of this, but change your password just to be safe.

Author Topic: Welcome to Barryland  (Read 1479 times)

MeatLips

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 67
Welcome to Barryland
« on: January 10, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »
With this. we will move on from our now dead previous topic: "Welcome to Kramerland" and embark upon a new adventure with our good ol' DM, SacLamb.

While our previous campaign ended with a fizzle, ie some people stopped giving a shit. And the previous DM, yours truly, burned out, we are left with fond memories of good times and fine roleplaying.

So now we enter the hallowed halls of BarryLand!

imurrx

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 224
Welcome to Barryland
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 08:49:41 PM »
First post!
MADE IN THE USA

Sacrificial Lamb

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1909
Welcome to Barryland
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 05:35:41 PM »
ok, guys...I have consented to MeatLips's desire to resurrect the "Barryland" thread here, instead of the Shadowland thread. So my first post is...

...I'm sick. :( Yeah. I've got a cold, and I'm really not feeling well. Sadly, we will have to reschedule our D&D game for another night. I feel guilty about this, guys....because we were supposed to have a couple new players tonight, and I don't want to screw up anyone's plans, but there's nothing I can do about it. Tonight, it's just me and a bowl of hot chicken soup. :o

I will post our campaign journal from last week...which is something I should have done anyway. Count on an even better game very soon...

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=486
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:43:49 PM by Sacrificial Lamb »

Sacrificial Lamb

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1909
Welcome to Barryland
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 05:56:17 PM »
All right. I should mention that I'm going to post everything from the Shadowland thread to this one, and just ignore the other thread. It seems to give MeatLips a thrill, so I'll do it. I feel compelled to mention that Shadowland is only one of the many realms that your characters might travel through....

Much of this information will be cross-posted on penandpapergames.com in the South of Boston Gamers subforum. See the link below.

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/group.php?groupid=244

Sacrificial Lamb

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1909
Welcome to Barryland
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 05:59:13 PM »
BASIC CAMPAIGN RULES

These are the basic rules for the campaign...

(1.) Characters are 11th-level.
(2.) Ability scores are determined by point buy. We all begin with 30 points, with modifications by race and level, of course.
(3.) Starting characters use the wealth guidelines from Pathfinder. It can found on the table that says, "Character Wealth By Level"....

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/gamemastering.html

(4.) If you wish, you can spend your starting gold on magic items, though new characters are restricted from spending more than 25% of starting wealth (about 20,000 gp) on any single magic item.
(5.) We are not using Tome of Magic, Tome of Battle (Book of Nine Swords), or Magic of Incarnum.
(6.) Psionics are okay.
(7.) We accept most character types from Forgotten Realms, Eberron, and Dragonlance, though it should be mentioned that this is a homebrew setting, so if your character is suitably weird, you may get odd reactions from the locals.
(8.) For the first time ever, we will be using Paizo's Gamemastery Critical Hit and Critical Fumble Decks. That should be cool.
(9.) The new game will be a combination of exploration, roleplay, and combat.
(10.) If you have a character concept in mind, it might be a good idea to create a couple characters in advance in order to save time. I'll merely need to know your basic stats before the game begins...

There will be to come, I'm sure..

Sacrificial Lamb

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1909
Welcome to Barryland
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 06:12:15 PM »
This is copied from the Shadowland thread...

SESSION I, PART I

Quote from: Sacrificial Lamb
Hello, there! This campaign journal for Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 is going to be cross-posted at both therpgsite.com and penandpapergames.com. The latter site seems to have some issues with editing posts that I have yet to resolve, so I'll do it this way for now....

We had our first gaming session over two nights ago, and I dare say that it was a success! We all had a lot of fun, I think. This is the first time I've DM'ed since 2008, and I've really missed it. I also think that having a new player helps put things into perspective, and see things in an entirely different way. I'm looking forward to our next session. As for the game itself, I'll be making a few quotes, and my memory is poor, so I'll be paraphrasing a bit. That said, here's some background information on what happened during the session....

The story began within the hilltop village of Bresby. We have the following cast of characters, all of which are 11th-level...

* Kratos (imurrx): Kratos is a hulking Warforged, which is an artificial golem-like being transported from the Eberron campaign setting. He's classed as a Fighter/Warforged Juggernaut, and could be classified as a walking, talking tank. Basically, he's renouncing his organic side, and becoming more truly a mechanical construct. His transformation renders him immune to regular healing spells, so that does make things more complicated...

* Horatio Tortolla (imurrx): Horatio appears as a non-descript Human, but remains a good source of non-magical artillery. He retains his reasoned, scientific mind, and takes the cautious approach, but now he can actually defend himself, provided he has his artillery weapons. He's classed as an Artificer.

* Simon (MeatLips): Simon is an athletic, clean-shaven, bald-headed Human Monk, specializing in the martial arts. Despite his vast skill, he's only just now finding his way out into the world...

* Aurelia (Perian): Aurelia is a diminuative Kender Spellthief from the world of Krynn, also known as Dragonlance. Curious and brave, she has absolutely no fear of delivering a stern lecture to a hungry Troll about the immorality of eating small children...

* Sophocles (Perian): This is Aurelia's large pet dog, and all-around sidekick. He's usually just quietly following his Kender master.

The PCs started off at the Frosty Mug, a local tavern and gambling house. Aside from Kratos and Horatio, the characters do not know each other. Simon and Aurelia are quietly seated at the bar, each having a drink, while Kratos and Horatio are outside on the street. Suddenly, a terrible commotion is heard outside...

The PCs run out towards the street, and witness some men restraining a Troll with a harness, collar, and chain. Unfortunately for the men, the Troll goes berserk, and flings a pair of its captors aside. Much to the surprise of all present, the Kender takes pity upon the poor brute. The resident Warforged, Kratos, attempts to restrain the Troll, but the Troll freaks out, and just won't be contained. It escapes Kratos's grasp, and flees down an alley.

That might have been the end of it, until a high-pitched scream is heard where the Troll fled...

The PCs follow and see a small boy dangling from one of the Troll's massive hands.

Before anyone can react, the Kender, (Aurelia) shouts at the Troll in the sternest voice she can muster...

Aurelia: "Put him down!!" :mad:
Troll: "Whuh?!" :confused:
Aurelia: "I said, put him down now!" :mad:

Aurelia first begins to argue with the Troll, and then finally....with the aid of both a great roleplaying performance and decent Diplomacy checks, she persuades the Troll to put the child down unharmed. The PCs eventually find out that the Troll's name is Grom...

Persuading Grom isn't easy. The Troll is cranky after being restrained, is hungry, and naturally, the child appears to be an appetizing morsel to a hungry Troll. Aurelia looks for an alternative food source.

Aurelia: "Well, what else do you like to eat?"
Troll: "Children."
Aurelia: "No! Something else."
Troll: "Halflings?"
Aurelia: "No! Something that isn't people."
Troll: "Cabbage!! Grom loves cabbage!"

At that point, the party has an idea, and Aurelia rushes inside the tavern to get some cabbage...

Ok, it's late....so I will finish writing this tomorrow. To be continued....:)


SESSION I, PART II

Quote from: Sacrificial Lamb
...continued from before.

Aurelia has the Half-Elven barmaid bring out a bushel of cabbages. The barmaid stops in her tracks, clearly unwilling to come too close to the Troll. Simon and Aurelia parley with the creature, and quickly feed it the bushel of cabbages.

During this interlude, the child that was nearly throttled by the Troll tells Grom, "that he stinks", though Aurelia admonishes the child for his rudeness. Eventually, a couple more bushels are brought, and soon the Troll is complaining of "fat pains", deciding to go take a nap under a bridge north of the village. The PCs speak with one of the Troll's captors, a Dwarf named Thorgrim, and discover that he has some tools to free it.

Kratos offers to release the creature, but the Troll gets a wild look in its eyes when he approaches it, so he backs up, and lets Aurelia remove the chain, who then graciously remembers to tip the barmaid.

It's hard to properly explain the conversation with Grom, the Troll...but it was hilarious. I think at one point, there was a discussion about pirates, and Grom explains that he was a pirate once, until he ate somebody's parrot. I'll just say I had a moment of inspired lunacy, and leave it at that. :)

The Troll leaves town, but the PCs see a group of armed men ominously following the Troll when it leaves. Aurelia decides that she wants to protect Grom, so the PC agree to follow them for a distance, until both the Troll and armed men disappear in a thick bank of fog, as they walk around the corner of some bushes.

Eventually, some cries of pain are heard, and the PCs see the silhouette of a large humanoid fighting some men. There's a bit of a fight. Amazingly, the PCs fight the men to protect the Troll. Clearly, this is a first for our campaign. :o

Kratos makes a successful Intimidate skill check, and frightens the men into submission. The men pick up their mangled comrades, and quickly leave....

At this point, they converse with the Troll, and Grom seems to like Simon, because his head is round and shiny like an egg.

Troll: "Grom likes eggs..."

The Troll is then convinced to go into the river and bathe, while Horatio takes those precious moments to hammer out Grom's battered tin helmet a bit, and make it spiffier.

Troll: "Oh, shiny..!" :)

After this, the PCs decide to take Grom home, to Darkwall....

To be continued...


SESSION I, PART III

Quote from: Sacrificial Lamb
The PCs make their way to Ravenholme, a crossroads village on the way to Darkwall, when they're quickly accosted by a dozen creepy-looking men in blood-spattered clothes. They're all armed with spears, and the PCs are instantly aware of the fact that there's something wrong with these men...

A battle ensues, where the PCs kill half of them, and drive away the rest. The session ended there....
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:19:56 PM by Sacrificial Lamb »

Sacrificial Lamb

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1909
Welcome to Barryland
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 06:32:10 PM »
SESSION II, PART I

The heroes make their way past the cluster of bodies, and notice an ominous-looking cloud of crows flying and landing atop a building in front of them...

Down the street, they spy a small figure wrapped in a long cloak. The cobblestone streets are otherwise empty and quiet. This is the introduction to the new PC in the group, and he is....

* Harvey: He's a kenku...member of a race of flightless humanoid avians. He is an atypical representative of his species, looking like a humanoid albino Crow or Raven, or he would, except for the fact that he is in disguise...

Meanwhile, Aurelia is fascinated by these dark, winged birds...and wants to go onto the roof to interact with them.

To be continued, when I'm feeling peppier. :)

imurrx

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 224
Welcome to Barryland
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 07:30:31 PM »
its so much to be two places at the same time. hey... I need the CR on those monsters so I can do the XP and make the new XP page for the characters.
MADE IN THE USA

Sacrificial Lamb

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1909
Welcome to Barryland
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 05:31:52 PM »
Okay. I'm feeling peppier. :)

SESSION II, PART II

The characters enter the building that the flock of Ravens landed upon. It's called "The Black Adder", a sturdy stone structure being used as both a tavern and inn. When they enter, all conversation dies. Grom, the Troll follows them inside.

Barkeep: (pointing at the Troll) "We don't serve your kind here!"
Aurelia: "He's with us, and means no harm." :o
Barkeep: "Take that thing outside." :mad:

After this exchange, Aurelia decides to instead scale the building in order to more closely interact with the birds. Harvey goes inside for a drink...

At this point, things get kinda weird. Aurelia, Kratos, and Simon attempt to climb the building but manage to make abysmal dice rolls, and natural 1's and 2's abound. We're all laughing at the oddity of the situation. :) That said, they eventually make their way to the roof, and Aurelia approaches the Ravens...

She attempts to lure them near, and gives them some food.

Aurelia: "Here you go..."
Raven: "Thanks."

Aurelia stares at the bird in shock. Did that bird just speak? :confused: A conversation soon begins, and while this occurs, Horatio is approached by some odd dark-haired young woman named Jocelyn. After a short discussion, she soon departs, and at some point, Aurelia startles the birds, who quickly fly off in alarm.

Later on, Horatio is approached by a dusty-looking fellow, offering them transportation to Darkwall. A price is agreed upon, and the fellow arrives within the hour with a wagon. During this interlude, Harvey and the other characters make introductions, and decide to travel together, after which they proceed to Darkwall, leaving the village of Ravenholme.

During their trip, the characters spy a large flock of dark avians following behind them. They assume they are being followed by the Ravens they interacted with earlier. Finally, they arrive at Darkwall, and Horatio notices something unusual...

Sacrificial Lamb

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1909
Welcome to Barryland
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 06:18:01 PM »
...continued from before.

SESSION II, PART III

The characters reach Darkwall, with something akin to a cliffside looming over them, and a large opening in the side of the stone. A 20-ft-wide flight of stairs leads up to it, with only a few vague tendrils of light, and mostly shadows beyond. The flock of Ravens are soon perched in the trees behind them, and Aurelia engages them in conversation. She tries to convince them to accompany her inside, but they refrain from doing so. Aurelia then provides Grom, the Troll with a book to read, in the hope that it might prove....educational. :hmm: Horatio uses an incantation that enables Grom to understand the book, though nobody can predict what will come of of this.

The characters then search the area, and Horatio discovers something...

Horatio detects a faint shimmering in the air at the top of the stairs. With the aid of some Search and Spellcraft skill checks, he realizes that they are in the presence of an inactive Resonance Portal, which enables near-instantaneous travel to distant locales. The potential of this discovery is considered as the characters creep forward into the doorway...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:54:57 PM by Sacrificial Lamb »

Sacrificial Lamb

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1909
Welcome to Barryland
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 09:40:01 PM »
SESSION II, PART IV

...and travel quietly down the hall. About 30 feet away, the characters find two doors, one on the right and one on the left. They choose the door on the right.

Aurelia: (knocks on door) "Hello?"
Simon: (incredulous) "What are you doing?!" :eek:
Orc Doorman: (door slit opens a bit) "What do you want?"
Aurelia: "Well, we..."
Orc Doorman: (door slit slams shut) "Raag! Intruders!" :rant:

The door then opens, and a massive Troll steps out, looming over the characters. It's wearing a harness and chain, and a burly Orc is herding it toward the characters. The Troll launches itself at them.

Kratos: "Everyone get back! I've got this..."

Kratos hurls his Warforged body at the sinewy Troll, intercepting it before it can mangle the party. For the first time in ages, he's able to use his "Dungeon Crasher" ability (or whatever it's called), and despite the size difference, manages to slam the creature into a stone wall, rendering it insensate in a single round. :eek:

Immediately thereafter, the characters successfully engage in a brawl with a roomful of bloodthirsty Orcs, especially with Simon slapping them around with his super-martial artist pimp hands. It takes a little while, but the PCs stand triumphant. At the end of the conflict, they search the room, and sense something from behind the door on the opposite side of this chamber...

=END OF SESSION II=
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:57:24 PM by Sacrificial Lamb »

Sacrificial Lamb

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1909
Welcome to Barryland
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 10:23:58 PM »
SESSION III, PART I

The characters make their way to the door on the opposite side of the room. An attempt is made to open it, but it's locked. Aurelia takes out her Thieves' Tools, and manages to open it without difficulty. Beyond the doorway is a 5-foot-wide hallway leading to yet another door, this one bearing a "Grandfather Plaque". The plaque appears to be the bass relief of a wizened old man's face mounted on the door.

Horatio senses some form of magic on the door, but he's unable to detect the presence of a specific magic item. Aurelia, puts her hand on the doorknob and tries to open it, to no avail. This one is locked as well. Then, without warning or fanfare, she attempts to unlock the door...

Ka-BOOOM!!!! :eek:

An instant later, a roaring column of fire erupts downward from the ceiling, enveloping the characters. The experience is not fatal, but it is painful.

Never forget to check for traps on locked doors, suckers. :p

Still smoldering from their frightening lesson in dungeon etiquette and environmental awareness, they boldly step into the room. Before them is a cage hanging the ceiling, and inside is a small, cat-sized red-scaled Dragon with a stinger at the end of its long tail. The characters are surprised, and didn't expect to find this. :confused:

To be continued...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:29:09 PM by Sacrificial Lamb »

Sacrificial Lamb

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1909
Welcome to Barryland
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 11:28:57 PM »
Quote from: imurrx;359628
its so much to be two places at the same time. hey... I need the CR on those monsters so I can do the XP and make the new XP page for the characters.

I might have it ready for tomorrow, but it's more likely that I'll have the information you need later this weekend. There's still yet more for me to write and edit in this journal before I get to that. Soon, my friend... :cool:

Sacrificial Lamb

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1909
Welcome to Barryland
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 01:03:06 AM »
....continued from before.

SESSION III, PART II

The PCs had previously heard the rumor of a Red Dragon being sighted at Darkwall, possibly making its home here, but this couldn't possibly be the Dragon they had heard of.....or could it? :confused:

The creature seemed to be frightened, so the PCs attempted to soothe it, with Aurelia treating it like a "kitty". :o

The characters heard a high-pitched chirping sound, and a soft, almost-inarticulate voice in their minds asking for help.

Little Dragon: "Help?" :(
Aurelia: "Don't be afraid..." :o
Horatio: "How did you get in there?" :pundit:

It's discovered that the little Dragon (which is in fact a Pseudodragon) was imprisoned by the Orcs at the behest of a Red Dragon. Its name was Bree, and it was very eager to escape, so the characters unlocked the cage, and released it. The Pseudodragon quickly flew off.

The characters soon realized that the Kenku, Harvey, was gone. The player was unable to make it to the session, so couldn't use his Kenku Sorceror in-play. However, Grom and the other Troll were also missing. Mystery upon mystery... :hmm:

Everybody decides to try the door across the hall, but instead of knocking on the door, Aurelia quietly unlocks it. And yes, no traps are detected... ;)

Yet again, Aurelia wastes no time entering the room, where a dozen men (possibly soldiers) are seated around a table, apparently gambling. More alarmingly, the PCs spy two cages in the room, each filled with some odd-looking armadillo beast with tentacles. In any case, Aurelia approaches the men, and speaks...

Aurelia: "Hello." :)
Soldiers: "Intruders! Get 'em!"

Aurelia attempted a Diplomacy skill check when entering the room, but her roll was so terrible, that we assumed she must have farted when she spoke. Needless to say, that when I said that, the table erupted into laughter. I was just cryin'... :D

A battle quickly ensued, and a couple of the characters noticed that the soldiers were armed with stone swords. Very unusual...

The soldiers released the creatures from their cages, which immediately put immurx on alert. One of imurrx's characters, Kratos, is part-metal, and was shocked when the creatures lunged forward, and struck him with their tentacles. Where the tentacles struck, Kratos would begin to corrode and rust. This bodes ill for our metal man....

In any case, the party engaged in a very lengthy melee with the soldiers and their pet monsters. When one of the soldiers actually managed to score a hit, Simon condescendingly said..

Simon: "Well, good for them."

Pretty soon, Simon wasn't gloating any more. We were using those Critical Hit and Critical Fumble decks from Paizo, and he was soon the recipient of more than one of those cards, and got one of his hands mangled in the process. It doesn't pay to be too cocky. ;)

However....after an extremely long, convoluted battle, the PCs did emerge victorious....standing over the bodies of their fallen foes, and stopped a minute to catch their breath and heal themselves...

=END OF SESSION III=
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:08:27 AM by Sacrificial Lamb »

Sacrificial Lamb

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1909
Welcome to Barryland
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 01:14:24 AM »
I probably will be unable to write up Session 4 until at least tomorrow night, which means I'll be writing Sessions 4 and 5 simultaneously. More to come soon...