This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.
The message boards have been upgraded. Please log in to your existing account by clicking here. It will ask twice, so that it can properly update your password and login information. If it has trouble recognizing your password, click the 'Forgot your password?' link to reset it with a new password sent to your email address on file.

Author Topic: "Jaw-dropping looks" as a game mechanism.  (Read 759 times)

Catelf

  • Therian Inquirer
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1155
    • View Profile
"Jaw-dropping looks" as a game mechanism.
« on: January 04, 2013, 08:30:39 AM »
Ok, i'd better confess to begin with:
Yes, i am naughty(and wierd) in some ways that this thread may imply.
However, please look beside that potential wankery, and just scrutinize and comment on the rules i present, because the rules aren't there for wankery's sake, but to add a certain tone in the game if one decides to go there, and/or to give a reason for how beauty can be semi-protective in battle.

The rules themselves is gender-neutral, but i'm aware that they might not always be used in a gender-neutral way.

Ok, the Rules is for something i call "Unerring". It implies that someone looks Good, or Good Wierd, or more.
Props such as Sexy Outfit, Stiletto Heels, Whip and Gasmask may be used to add to this value, or add a value where there is none.

It practically works through an inherent "Fumble" system in the rules that i have made (similar to, but not the same, as in WoD).
Each point of "Unerring" increases the possibility that an attacker Fumbles, and thereby forfeits the next action.

I am aware of that the system has flaws, primarily in the social aspects such as preferences ... and similar, but i welcome criticizm, comments and suggestions about it anyway.
Right now, i feel for either improving the idea, or to perhaps remove it entirely.

Here is the current core rules i intend to use it for ... or perhaps drop it from:
http://catelf.webs.com/streedrpgcorerules.htm
I may not dislike D&D any longer, but I still dislike the Chaos-Lawful/Evil-Good alignment system, as well as the level system.
;)
________________________________________

Link to my wip Ferals 0.8 unfinished but playable on pdf on MediaFire for free download here :
https://www.mediafire.com/?0bwq41g438u939q

Bill

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4593
    • View Profile
"Jaw-dropping looks" as a game mechanism.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 01:17:16 PM »
Quote from: Catelf;614508
Ok, i'd better confess to begin with:
Yes, i am naughty(and wierd) in some ways that this thread may imply.
However, please look beside that potential wankery, and just scrutinize and comment on the rules i present, because the rules aren't there for wankery's sake, but to add a certain tone in the game if one decides to go there, and/or to give a reason for how beauty can be semi-protective in battle.

The rules themselves is gender-neutral, but i'm aware that they might not always be used in a gender-neutral way.

Ok, the Rules is for something i call "Unerring". It implies that someone looks Good, or Good Wierd, or more.
Props such as Sexy Outfit, Stiletto Heels, Whip and Gasmask may be used to add to this value, or add a value where there is none.

It practically works through an inherent "Fumble" system in the rules that i have made (similar to, but not the same, as in WoD).
Each point of "Unerring" increases the possibility that an attacker Fumbles, and thereby forfeits the next action.

I am aware of that the system has flaws, primarily in the social aspects such as preferences ... and similar, but i welcome criticizm, comments and suggestions about it anyway.
Right now, i feel for either improving the idea, or to perhaps remove it entirely.

Here is the current core rules i intend to use it for ... or perhaps drop it from:
http://catelf.webs.com/streedrpgcorerules.htm


Jaw Dropping looks is often a powerful reality.

An initiative penalty feels right to me. Perhaps actual penalties on some sort of critical failure.

I think the tricky part is that some are very succeptable to it, while others either deal with it, ignore it, or even react negatively.

So I would worry more about who is effected and how it is perceived.

Catelf

  • Therian Inquirer
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1155
    • View Profile
"Jaw-dropping looks" as a game mechanism.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 02:22:46 PM »
Quote from: Bill;614604
Jaw Dropping looks is often a powerful reality.

An initiative penalty feels right to me. Perhaps actual penalties on some sort of critical failure.

I think the tricky part is that some are very succeptable to it, while others either deal with it, ignore it, or even react negatively.

So I would worry more about who is effected and how it is perceived.

My rules system, especially in combat, makes an action quite quick, normally, so the resultant fumble and forfeiting the next action totally (meaning the would-be attacker instead just stares at the unerring one), feels quite proper in this case (all fumbles result in forfeiting the next action, by the way, and there are no critical failures in this system).

I have an idea that the Leadership skill may be used to override the unerring effect, but i'm not quite sure how, yet, especially since i avoid adding extra die rolls.

One may also think of a kind of Moral Guide value, that some may have, that also may override the Unerring effect.

The "react negatively", however, is the most problematic one, because if one also gett immune from regular Unerring, then one should have to choose something else that causes the same Unerring-effect instead.
As it currently is, Unerring is caused by things that is "sexy", as well as references to S/M and a certain fetishism.
But, if those do not causes a jaw-dropping and staring, then what does?
Uniforms? Armor? Badges? Nakedness? Peasant outfits? Peasants? Monsters? Mud? Dungeoncrawling? ... i think you get my point.

As for the mechanism for "react negative", i think the result would be that the double Unerring is added to the Damage Roll, the first to negate the effects, the second to account for the notable dislike.
... or just negate the Unerring, and add +1 to the Damage Roll.

Also, i think it may be best to put some limit to how much Unerring a caracter can amass ... + that one must remember how well it may work with the intended character.
I think the most Unerring i ever gave to a character, and that was in a miniatures game i made based on the same rules, was 3, and usually, the max was 2.
I may not dislike D&D any longer, but I still dislike the Chaos-Lawful/Evil-Good alignment system, as well as the level system.
;)
________________________________________

Link to my wip Ferals 0.8 unfinished but playable on pdf on MediaFire for free download here :
https://www.mediafire.com/?0bwq41g438u939q

Doctor Jest

  • 36th Level Insomniac
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 999
    • View Profile
"Jaw-dropping looks" as a game mechanism.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 05:42:33 PM »
Quote from: Catelf;614622

As it currently is, Unerring is caused by things that is "sexy", as well as references to S/M and a certain fetishism.


So, basically, the players play prudish virgins in your game?

Quote

But, if those do not causes a jaw-dropping and staring, then what does?
Uniforms? Armor? Badges? Nakedness? Peasant outfits? Peasants? Monsters? Mud? Dungeoncrawling? ... i think you get my point.


I don't think you can code that into a ruleset. I personally don't find BDSM to be at all unusual or out of the ordinary, for instance. As to what would cause someone to have a jaw-dropping staring moment, I think that may well vary by person. Some people are easily shocked by things I consider mundane where others can face the extremely bizarre without batting an eyelash but go apeshit if they see a spider.

Catelf

  • Therian Inquirer
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1155
    • View Profile
"Jaw-dropping looks" as a game mechanism.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:15:28 PM »
Quote from: Doctor Jest;616145
I don't think you can code that into a ruleset. I personally don't find BDSM to be at all unusual or out of the ordinary, for instance. As to what would cause someone to have a jaw-dropping staring moment, I think that may well vary by person. Some people are easily shocked by things I consider mundane where others can face the extremely bizarre without batting an eyelash but go apeshit if they see a spider.

Hm, one vote against the (current?) Unerring system i have ....

Had the characters been prudish, then they would not have been able to use the items themselves .... which they are fully able to.

Should i perhaps make Unerring solely a matter of Charisma and/or perhaps Domination? ... or another skill that may be more suitable but currently lacking from the general sets of skills?
I mean, considering some people seem to be able to make almost anything look "great" when they show up ...
Or should it be a trait, even?

Yes, i am trying to "quantify" some kind of beauty for use as a "stunning" effect.
I would prefer to not leave it as is, so i'm still asking for opinions, viewpoints, and suggestions on what to do with the idea.
Even a "Ditch the idea" seems like it would be helpful right now ...
I may not dislike D&D any longer, but I still dislike the Chaos-Lawful/Evil-Good alignment system, as well as the level system.
;)
________________________________________

Link to my wip Ferals 0.8 unfinished but playable on pdf on MediaFire for free download here :
https://www.mediafire.com/?0bwq41g438u939q

jibbajibba

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 9096
    • View Profile
"Jaw-dropping looks" as a game mechanism.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 09:16:15 PM »
the James Bond 007 game had lots of rules round looks etc.
Good looks were a disadvantage as they increased your fame and made you easier to spot.
Another disadvantage was "Attraction to Members of the Opposite Sex" (NPCs had Attraction to members of the Same Sex, S&M and a few other kinks which you could in theory apply to PCs).

If your character had that weakness and was with an attractive companion then you woudl get minuses to initiative, reductiion in skills (well increase in difficulty levels actually) etc.
So in this case an agent faced with a beautiful oponent my well hesitate before defending themself or attacking, moreso if that oponent was nude, covered in gold paint, etc etc.

Also has the best Social interaction rules of any rpg. the Secuction rules were taken from academic papers of the various steps in the 'process'. Just the right mix of abstract rolls, roleplay and skills.
No longer living in Singapore
Method Actor-92% :Tactician-75% :Storyteller-67%:
Specialist-67% :Power Gamer-42% :Butt-Kicker-33% :
Casual Gamer-8%


GAMERS Profile
Jibbajibba
9AA788 -- Age 45 -- Academia 1 term, civilian 4 terms -- $15,000

Cult&Hist-1 (Anthropology); Computing-1; Admin-1; Research-1;
Diplomacy-1; Speech-2; Writing-1; Deceit-1;
Brawl-1 (martial Arts); Wrestling-1; Edged-1;

Catelf

  • Therian Inquirer
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1155
    • View Profile
"Jaw-dropping looks" as a game mechanism.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 11:20:31 PM »
Quote from: jibbajibba;616183
the James Bond 007 game had lots of rules round looks etc.
Good looks were a disadvantage as they increased your fame and made you easier to spot.
Another disadvantage was "Attraction to Members of the Opposite Sex" (NPCs had Attraction to members of the Same Sex, S&M and a few other kinks which you could in theory apply to PCs).

If your character had that weakness and was with an attractive companion then you woudl get minuses to initiative, reductiion in skills (well increase in difficulty levels actually) etc.
So in this case an agent faced with a beautiful oponent my well hesitate before defending themself or attacking, moreso if that oponent was nude, covered in gold paint, etc etc.

Also has the best Social interaction rules of any rpg. the Secuction rules were taken from academic papers of the various steps in the 'process'. Just the right mix of abstract rolls, roleplay and skills.

Hm, i think it should be possible to "dress down" as a skill, as well as "dress up" ...

That other thing, having actual fancies as negatives is ... a solution that may be considered.
It would clearly supply the detail that some may ask for.
.... The problem is, that it might be too much detail for the system in itself, since the idea for my Core Rules is "Bare neccessities only".
Positive choises are ok, because those are more something for the Player to handle, but if a GM forgets to enforce a negative that a player has, then the player is too powerful, even if it only is by fractions.

Thank you for your suggestion, though.

Anyone else with comments and viewpoints?
I may not dislike D&D any longer, but I still dislike the Chaos-Lawful/Evil-Good alignment system, as well as the level system.
;)
________________________________________

Link to my wip Ferals 0.8 unfinished but playable on pdf on MediaFire for free download here :
https://www.mediafire.com/?0bwq41g438u939q

Exploderwizard

  • DESTROYER OF HOBBIES!
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • E
  • Posts: 4528
    • View Profile
"Jaw-dropping looks" as a game mechanism.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 10:07:19 AM »
Quote from: Doctor Jest;616145
I don't think you can code that into a ruleset. I personally don't find BDSM to be at all unusual or out of the ordinary, for instance. As to what would cause someone to have a jaw-dropping staring moment, I think that may well vary by person. Some people are easily shocked by things I consider mundane where others can face the extremely bizarre without batting an eyelash but go apeshit if they see a spider.


This. What would cause "jaw dropping" is very subjective. If it does take place, some type of mental stun/short period of inactivity seems in order.
Quote from: JonWake
Gamers, as a whole, are much like primitive cavemen when confronted with a new game. Rather than 'oh, neat, what's this do?', the reaction is to decide if it's a sex hole, then hit it with a rock.

Quote from: Old Geezer;724252
At some point it seems like D&D is going to disappear up its own ass.

Quote from: Kyle Aaron;766997
In the randomness of the dice lies the seed for the great oak of creativity and fun. The great virtue of the dice is that they come without boxed text.

Premier

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • P
  • Posts: 1138
    • View Profile
"Jaw-dropping looks" as a game mechanism.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 11:11:07 AM »
Honestly, I think it's a bit silly. I mean, you might hesitate to attack someone who looks superhot, okay. But once you have already decided to attack, those good looks will mean nothing. AD&D has it right with the reaction table: a higher CHA means intelligent encounters are more likely to be friendly and less likely to be hostile; but if they ARE hostile, you won't get some bullshit magical shield from your good looks. Unless you're Derek Zoolander, of course.
Obvious troll is obvious. RIP, Bill.

Libertad

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 520
    • View Profile
"Jaw-dropping looks" as a game mechanism.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 12:43:32 AM »
Quote from: Premier;616674
Honestly, I think it's a bit silly. I mean, you might hesitate to attack someone who looks superhot, okay. But once you have already decided to attack, those good looks will mean nothing. AD&D has it right with the reaction table: a higher CHA means intelligent encounters are more likely to be friendly and less likely to be hostile; but if they ARE hostile, you won't get some bullshit magical shield from your good looks. Unless you're Derek Zoolander, of course.


In the Book of Erotic Fantasy, Attractiveness is an ability score and can be used as a primary spellcasting stat for the Imagist class.  I've been meaning to use the book to make a Derek Zoolander build, if and when I get around to it.

Catelf

  • Therian Inquirer
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1155
    • View Profile
"Jaw-dropping looks" as a game mechanism.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 06:25:09 AM »
Quote from: Premier;616674
Honestly, I think it's a bit silly. I mean, you might hesitate to attack someone who looks superhot, okay. But once you have already decided to attack, those good looks will mean nothing. AD&D has it right with the reaction table: a higher CHA means intelligent encounters are more likely to be friendly and less likely to be hostile; but if they ARE hostile, you won't get some bullshit magical shield from your good looks. Unless you're Derek Zoolander, of course.

One, it isn't magical.
Two, if you had bothered looking at the core rules, you'd see that it isn't a shield at all: It do not decrease the total damage that can be done, it just increases the risk for Fumbles.
So, if you do not Fumble, but hits, you may still hit with full force, as in any other attack.
However, if you roll low, you may hesitate, and stare.
Another intersting point there is, that the more skilled a character is, the less risk there is for Fumbling at all, and this affects the staring due to Unerring as well.

Oh, and the unerring effect may take place in the damage roll, but it is explained through something that takes place just before the attack is made: hesitation.

If comparing it to the Zoolanderclip that Libertad posted ... no, unerring Do not stop a throwingstar in midair, especially not a perfectly aimed one.

But i do agree that it is a bit silly(, but for different reasons than you, it seems?), that is why i myself question it now.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:38:46 AM by Catelf »
I may not dislike D&D any longer, but I still dislike the Chaos-Lawful/Evil-Good alignment system, as well as the level system.
;)
________________________________________

Link to my wip Ferals 0.8 unfinished but playable on pdf on MediaFire for free download here :
https://www.mediafire.com/?0bwq41g438u939q

Premier

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • P
  • Posts: 1138
    • View Profile
"Jaw-dropping looks" as a game mechanism.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 08:01:16 AM »
What you're saying is exactly what I'm calling silly. A combatant who's sufficiently trained or worked up to not shirk from killing another human will NOT fumble, hesitate, or stop and look just because the human in question is so pretty or weird; not once they've already gotten to the point of "kill this person dead".
Obvious troll is obvious. RIP, Bill.

The Yann Waters

  • Doesn\'t Hate
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • T
  • Posts: 2691
    • View Profile
"Jaw-dropping looks" as a game mechanism.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 03:10:53 PM »
Quote from: Catelf;614508
It practically works through an inherent "Fumble" system in the rules that i have made (similar to, but not the same, as in WoD).

As mechanics go, though, Exalted might currently be a closer match for action-blocking social-fu. I believe the fans of the game have taken to calling the Appearance-based strategy "Pretty Kitty".
Previously known by the name of "GrimGent".