This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Author Topic: roger raupp  (Read 3943 times)

rrauben

• r
roger raupp
« on: August 06, 2007, 02:46:53 PM »
Hey Bobby:

Just wanted to give you this update:

Roger Raupp's website is nolonger artefects.net.  It has been changed to:

http://www.wokendreams.com/index.html

You'll note that the artist formerly known as Roger Raupp is now going by the name "Rudy Didier Rauben"....  or Bonobozo ; )

If anyone has had a problem reaching me this may account for the disconnect.

Chaos, divorce, name change, multiple changes of address in the last couple years, new website, new artistic directions... you get the picture.

I have a new graphic novel coming out shortly, story and art by yours truly.  It's called The Medicine Show, and its being published Mythos Media ( http://www.mythosmedia.net/ ).

http://www.alterati.com/ is about to do an interview about my career and current projects that anyone who has ever been interested in my artwork may find verrrry interesting.  I'll get back to you with more specific links once I receive them myself.

Thanks,

Rudy (Roger Raupp)  Rauben

Ian Absentia

• Absent
roger raupp
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 03:10:02 PM »
Ist es der Spammenrauben?

!i!

rrauben

• r
Spammenrauben nein!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 06:05:52 PM »
No, this is legit guys.  This isn't identity theft or anything.  Look at the artwork.  It's more of an AKA scenario.

And here's some more news for anyone interested in Raupp/Rauben art:

http://www.alterati.com/blog/?p=1054#more-1054

The art/media website Alterati.com is posting a "conversation" (interview) between one of their editors, James Curcio, and myself.  It speaks to my new graphic novel The Medicine Show, current projects, career and our shared artistic attitudes, as well as other crazy wonderful stuff.

James is also an author and artist (of the novels Join My Cult!, and Fallen Nation), as well as art director at Mythos Media, and a musician (SubQtaneous).  Mythos Media is fairly new company, but seems to be rising fast.  Besides Fallen Nation they're also publishing a graphic novel called Fas Ferox, that boasts Neil Gaiman's involvement.  As some of you may know, Neil is huge in the comics biz, did the exceedingly popular Sandman series for DC/Vertigo, and is the author behind this new movie called Stardust that's just hitting the theaters (starring Michele Pfeiffer, Robert DeNIro and Claire Danes).

Mythos Media is publishing my graphic novel The Medicine Show in the very near future.  This conversation/interview is the first wave of promotion in support of that.  This is all in the way of this new approach of getting things out there via the internet called "viral marketing":  and your clicks can have a cumulative, supporting effect. There are a number of interlinked sites involved, so if you're at all in need of a diversion, you might like to explore where all these links will take you-- sip a cup of the mojo.

So, yeah, please click away and forward the news to anyone who might be interested. We don't want to be bothering people, but we would like to get the word out to anyone who might enjoy what we're doing.  Connect the disconnections, so to speak.

Mythos Media espouses an egalitarian ethic and alternative voices-- they function more like your local cooperative (allowing artists and writers to retain their creative rights to a degree usually unheard of in the publishing industry).  As such, they are kind of a "mom & pop" operation, facing a "david & goliath" sort of challenge to gain shelf space along side the big publishing firms (that tend to leverage retailers to keep the smaller publishers out).  But we're confident that there is a culture that isn't being served out there--a void to fill, and we're rising to fill it (in our own small way, with whatever talents and resources we can muster).

All this is to say that whatever attention you might be willing or able to afford is more helpful than you might think.  The more internet traffic (created by visiting these links, and spreading the word) we can drum up the sooner and more effectively we'll be able to get into to a "bookstore near you."  Otherwise, you'll only be able to find The Medicine Show and other Mythos Media books online (at sellers like Amazon,Target, Waldenbooks, Barnes & Noble, etc.).  We'd like to see power flowing back to the people, we'd like to hear fresh, new, meaningful voices; we'd like to put disenfranchised voices back in the cultural dialogue; but to some degree we can only work within the distribution structures out there.  

Again, your interest is greatly appreciated.  This is where the rubber begins to hit the road here.

So, if you will, if you can, add some fuel to the fire and wish me / us luck.

-rr

ColonelHardisson

roger raupp
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 07:08:20 PM »
I always really dug your work for D&D. I don't mean this in a disparaging way, but it always struck me as conservative. Let me explain - your stuff seemed meticulously researched and quite realistic. In D&D, or rather RPG terms, it was "low magic." I remember a cover you did for Dragon of the battle of Camlann, the last confrontation between Arthur and Mordred. It seemed damned realistic, which made it much more emotionally accessible. Those characters were real, the moment felt so raw and immediate, that it's stuck in my mind all these years.

So that's what I mean by conservative - no flights of fancy, no reimaginings. Just real people facing real(istic) problems.

But now, after reading that interview you linked to, and looking at your site, I have to say that "conservatism" I saw was just one aspect of your artistry. This sheds a whole new light on the stuff I liked way back when. It's akin to when I first saw Angus McBride's and Wayne Reynolds' work for those Osprey military books after seeing so much of their work for MERP and D&D, respectively. It was a whole new aspect that I had yet to explore.

I'd love to see you do some more work for D&D or one of its related d20/OGL offspring.
"Illegitimis non carborundum." - General Joseph "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

4e definitely has an Old School feel. If you disagree, cool. I won't throw any hyperbole out to prove the point.

brettmb2

• b
    • http://www.pigames.net
roger raupp
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 07:13:47 PM »
Not to be an ass, but what does this have to do with RPGs?
Brett Bernstein
Precis Intermedia

Two-Fisted Tales Pulp RPG, HardNova, EarthAD 2, Coyote Trail, Ghostories, Mean Streets, Iron Gauntlets, Story Engine, Disposable Heroes Paper Minis, New World Disorder Miniatures Skirmish Rules
Two-Fisted Tales, the definitive Pulp RPG of the day, because RPGPundit said so!

ColonelHardisson

roger raupp
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 07:16:35 PM »
Quote from: pigames.net
Not to be an ass, but what does this have to do with RPGs?

Roger Raupp's artwork was a fixture in D&D during the 80s and 90s. He also was art director for Dragon and Dungeon, as I recall.
"Illegitimis non carborundum." - General Joseph "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

4e definitely has an Old School feel. If you disagree, cool. I won't throw any hyperbole out to prove the point.