This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Author Topic: How many of you have players that have never GMed before?  (Read 1734 times)

tenbones

• Poobah of the D.O.N.G.
How many of you have players that have never GMed before?
« on: February 20, 2018, 10:49:20 AM »
So spun off from the "Can anyone be a good GM" thread...

I contend a player that has never GM'ed before has a one-sided view of what makes a "good" GM. I'm not saying their opinion is invalid or anything. I'm saying the very experience of running a game (see below) is invaluable for understanding what makes a good GM or not. Mainly because being a "good" GM takes time and experience and lots of failures that become common to all "good" GM's that learn from those same inevitable mistakes. If you're just a player - these things are likely invisible to you.

SO - that brought up an interesting question

How many of you have players that have never really GMed at all? By that criteria I means the following:

1) Not a One-Shot.
2) At least a full adventure or module that takes multiple sessions to complete.

and have you ever asked why they never GMed and if so - what was their response?

for me - I think of my current group of players, only one has GMed and he gets insanely nerve-wracked after about the 4th session trying to keep up the pace. He likes the idea of GMing, but has a hard time keeping himself out of the game when players do things he doesn't account for. (I also think he tries to make his games *far* too large in scale for his relative inexperience).

Steven Mitchell

• S
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 11:00:54 AM »
I've never been heavy on GM's in the group, though it is even more skewed at the moment because of an influx of new players.  In the (mainly) long-time group, out of 10 players, 3 have met your criteria of running a full adventure or more.  Though with two of them, I wasn't there when they ran it.  In the new group, there are currently a total of 14 players possible, though we'll never have them all.  Only one has been a GM, and that player is overlap with the first group.  Another 2 are getting ready to start, though.

As to what makes a good GM, I find that my biggest problem with many of them is that they didn't get to see me when I had less experience.  They mistake some of the things that I do more or less well now as natural talent, when it is really experience.  I've had more than one tell me they are uncomfortable running because they "can't measure up"--despite me telling them that it isn't that difficult.  Critically, the 2 new players that are seriously preparing to GM are doing it elsewhere, with new players.  I encouraged that, as "you'll make mistakes, but keep moving, have fun anyway, laugh about it."

Haffrung

• H
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 12:02:38 PM »
Out of the 20 or so people I've played in regular D&D groups with over the decades, I'd say the breakdown is:

4 have DMed regularly
6 have DMed on occasion
10 have never DMed

Heavy Josh

• H
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 12:17:55 PM »
I have a mix of players who meet these criteria or don't.  

Some of my best players have never GMed at all.

But all of my worst players have never, or barely, GMed before.
When you find yourself on the side of the majority, you should pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain

Brand55

• B
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 01:20:41 PM »
Out of the six people I currently game with, only 1 has any real GMing experience. One other put us through a Deadlands adventure and that scared her off of running again as she couldn't deal with adjusting on the fly to some things that were really unexpected.

I have to agree that it seems unlikely most "good" GMs just started that way. I know I made plenty of mistakes when I first started and I still do. I'm constantly encouraging my players to try taking up the reins of GM even if it's just temporarily but they're mostly happy to stay on the other side of the screen. The primary excuses I hear are that they either don't think they'd be very good at it or simply that they don't have the time, which I do understand.

Philotomy Jurament

• Prisoner 24601
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 02:05:39 PM »
A very rough guesstimate: about half have GM'd, and about a quarter GM on fairly regular basis (but not necessarily for the same group).
The problem is not that power corrupts, but that the corruptible are irresistibly drawn to the pursuit of power. Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.

SionEwig

• S
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 02:13:11 PM »
Out of the current group of 5 (including myself), 2 of us have GMed a lot, 1 has GMed some, and 2 never.  As a slightly different take, only 1 (myself) has GMed extensively with systems other than some form of D&D, 1 ran a little bit of Traveller (LBB) in addition to D&D, 1 has only run D&D.  No idea what any of that says.

Gronan of Simmerya

• My member is senior
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 02:46:27 PM »
About half.  The usual reason is "I can't do it" or "I don't know how."  Second most usual reason is "I'm not interested."
You should go to GaryCon.  Period.

The rules can't cure stupid, and the rules can't cure asshole.

saskganesh

• s
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 05:07:50 PM »
2 out of my current 11 cohorts.

When I ran, about half never had, because one of the features of that game was new players, as in new players to the hobby. Also because I was apparently so awesome, they never felt the need or urge. :-0

Omega

• O
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 05:21:35 PM »
Quote from: Gronan of Simmerya;1026250
About half.  The usual reason is "I can't do it" or "I don't know how."  Second most usual reason is "I'm not interested."

Same. and "I cant do it" is a valid excuse. Some people just can not manage the stuff a DM has to. Or would need so much prep or bookeeping to track it it becomes a chore rather than fun.

Teodrik

• T
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 05:26:23 PM »
Generally people I mostly play with has never been a GM, or has been sometime in the long past, but refuse GM because everyone only wants to be a player. So naturally I seldom get to be a player anymore myself. Except from when my brother  agrees to be DM (TSR D&D only). Getting family members into rpgs when they are young is indeed a long term investment.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:29:58 PM by Teodrik »

Malleustein

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 06:11:38 PM »
My current group has eight players.

Three, including myself, are regular referees for us or other groups.

One is new to the hobby and planning her own campaign.

The remainder have never been the referee and are unlikely to ever be.

My last group had five members and all but one of us were referees for campaigns.
"The Point is Good Deeds Were Done and We Were Nearby!"

saskganesh

• s
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 06:13:50 PM »
Quote from: Teodrik;1026284
Getting family members into rpgs when they are young is indeed a long term investment.

It works very well. I had two older brothers. Four decades later, still playing... and now the tween nephew is rolling dice.

Oh, and my sister married a wargamer. She understands.

Tulpa Girl

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 06:21:27 PM »
By the standards set up in the opening post, none of my four players have ever GMed before.  If you allow for one-shots, my oldest player (who mainly played in the 1st edition AD&D era) qualifies.  Our youngest player is talking about maybe running a 5th edition game, although that probably wouldn't take place until the school year ends.

Opaopajr

• SeƱor Wences
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 06:35:20 PM »
Have done so for quite a few. But I strongly encourage them soon after to get Behind the Screen. Reason is it tends to give them a taste of their own behavior, especially if they run for their own greenhorn friends, and they become less petulant and disruptive. They realize what effort it takes and become more appreciative of good player habits.

When you serve others, you quickly become sypathetic of those who serve you. (Also one of the reasons I believe everyone should serve -- suffer through -- a two-year draft into Retail/Customer Service. The agony helps bring back a touch of compassion and etiquette among those who went through the trenches. :p )
Just make your fuckin' guy and roll the dice, you pricks. Focus on what's interesting, not what gives you the biggest randomly generated virtual penis.  -- J Arcane

You know, people keep comparing non-TSR D&D to deck-building in Magic: the Gathering. But maybe it's more like Katamari Damacy. You keep sticking shit on your characters until they are big enough to be a star.
-- talysman