SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

DnD 5e Humble bundle

Started by danskmacabre, December 10, 2017, 07:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danskmacabre

As there's a lot of OSR DnD fans here, I recently got this interesting Humble Bundle.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/dungeons-monsters-dragons-books

Lots of DnD stuff. Various resources, maps, scenarios, background material, cities, extended monster manual and so on.

Certainly worth the very low price.

Anyway, just a heads up.. There's no financial interest in this for me, I just thought some might like an offer like this.

S'mon

Thanks dansk, been wanting the Frog God 5th Edition Foes book to help with conversions (of OSR adventures to 5e) & I coughed up the $17 for the whole lot. The Frog God material looks very impressive (tons of Bard's Gate stuff, loads of old school adventures, encounter tables etc) and there's a couple Kobold Press things I'll look up too, plus nice to have an e-copy of Tome of Beasts to go with the hardback I have. But this is definitely a Frog God bundle with a bit of Kobold.

Thanks Bill Webb & co! :p

Omega

Looks like a bunch of Kobolds 3e/Pathfinder stuff with 5e slapped on the cover. I know at least one sure was and a quick glance at two others in the bundle indicate they too are. Theres some conversion but the stuff I made the mistake of getting was not exactly balanced for 5e.

S'mon

Quote from: Omega;1012868Looks like a bunch of Kobolds 3e/Pathfinder stuff with 5e slapped on the cover. I know at least one sure was and a quick glance at two others in the bundle indicate they too are. Theres some conversion but the stuff I made the mistake of getting was not exactly balanced for 5e.

IME their monster stats work ok in 5e; they are a bit tougher than 5e default and in play feel a lot like my own PF > 5e conversions. They work well as special monsters for challenging higher level PCs, I tend to select one or two as boss monsters - shrine guardians, tomb guardians & such, rather than everyday encounters.
Their adventures from what I've seen were not impressive at all, practically 4e-ish in their tone & focus on "my precious encounter".
I've not looked at their PC options stuff yet.

Opaopajr

Just make your fuckin\' guy and roll the dice, you pricks. Focus on what\'s interesting, not what gives you the biggest randomly generated virtual penis.  -- J Arcane

You know, people keep comparing non-TSR D&D to deck-building in Magic: the Gathering. But maybe it\'s more like Katamari Damacy. You keep sticking shit on your characters until they are big enough to be a star.
-- talysman

joriandrake

Are all of these PDF? Because I consider buying, but I really don't want physical stuff to be shipped here.

Opaopajr

Just make your fuckin\' guy and roll the dice, you pricks. Focus on what\'s interesting, not what gives you the biggest randomly generated virtual penis.  -- J Arcane

You know, people keep comparing non-TSR D&D to deck-building in Magic: the Gathering. But maybe it\'s more like Katamari Damacy. You keep sticking shit on your characters until they are big enough to be a star.
-- talysman

danskmacabre

Quote from: S'mon;1012871Their adventures from what I've seen were not impressive at all, practically 4e-ish in their tone & focus on "my precious encounter".
I've not looked at their PC options stuff yet.

I'm used to using the "One page dungeon"  adventures, which I always adapt heavily to my needs.
I'll be using the adventures, lairs etc in this bundle, but I WILL be heavily adapting them to my needs.
It's really nice to have these maps, location descriptions to seed ideas when I need something.

The Tome of beasts is REALLY nice to read through.  It'll be fun to try some of them out :)

S'mon

Quote from: danskmacabre;1013110The Tome of beasts is REALLY nice to read through.  It'll be fun to try some of them out :)

I loved the Stuhac, I used it plus a bunch of Skeletal Vine Trolls for a very atmospheric encounter! :)

PC: "Er... What happened to those who came before?"

Stuhac: "I have sewed them..."  (opens robes) :D

danskmacabre

Quote from: S'mon;1013115I loved the Stuhac, I used it plus a bunch of Skeletal Vine Trolls for a very atmospheric encounter! :)

PC: "Er... What happened to those who came before?"

Stuhac: "I have sewed them..."  (opens robes) :D

Yeah there's lots of REALLY weird monsters.

I have found with 5e, players recognise monsters I use (from the MM and sometimes even Volo's).
Especially when they're on their phones and checking online resources for monster stats, which I strongly discourage under threat of adding new abilities and upping the overall CR of a monster if I catch them doing that!  heh.

So throwing in some of these odd monsters will be fun!  :D