SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Fantasy Terraforming

Started by Headless, November 17, 2017, 10:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headless

Do the inteligent magic using races engage in deliberate habitat creation and destruction in your games?  

For instance the game I am prepping for Christmas will take place in an area called The Fens but used to be The Green Sward (not overly original I know)  200 years ago a Lizardman druid started a rockslide damned up a river planted a magic tree and flooded the who area.  

I was also picturing an army of dryads that plant holly and acorns in the bodies of the slain in a battle field, come back in 6 years and Forest!

Ice giants that help the glaciers march down the mountains.  

Wondering if anyone else runs with that Idea.

flyingmice

In my current Thursday night game, I am running Volant, using the ruleset and chargen from StarCluster 4 - Sabre and World. The PCs have claimed a "fragment' - a smaller (14X9 mile) chip of land broken off from a much larger land (the size of Connecticut in this case) which pulled out of the earth and floated into the sky, as land is wont to do in Volant. They have already dammed one river to prevent water loss, and are currently examining the fragment to see what else they need to do.

I am using Fragments of Air And Stone, a supplement for Volant, which details all sorts of changes that can be made to fragments, some of which take years to come to fruition. For example, they can chip away non-floatstone rock and make the fragment lighter, so it will rise into cooler air, or the reverse to warm the fragment. Every 1000 feet is three degrees F! They can change water loss with dams and cisterns. They can tunnel from one section to another. There are tons of changes which can be made for the ultimate value of the land.
clash bowley * Flying Mice Games - an Imprint of Better Mousetrap Games
Flying Mice home page: http://jalan.flyingmice.com/flyingmice.html
Currently Designing: StarCluster 4 - Wavefront Empire
Last Releases: SC4 - Dark Orbital, SC4 - Out of the Ruins,  SC4 - Sabre & World
Blog: I FLY BY NIGHT

trechriron

It's funny. We create these artificial barriers to themes*. Terraforming might be considerably easier with powerful magic! I've never applied before specifically. I do often consider magical places to have been protected by magic to allow them to remain untouched.

Even the simple act of controlling crops and the weather could dramatically impact a locale. With spells like earth to stone, stone to mud, etc. building canals, dams and passes would be easier. This is a cool idea!

*What I mean is that I personally linked Terraforming to sci-fi, but it certainly doesn't have to be.
Trentin C Bergeron (trechriron)
Bard, Creative & RPG Enthusiast

----------------------------------------------------------------------
D.O.N.G. Black-Belt (Thanks tenbones!)

soltakss

In our RQPavis Gloranthan game, the Aldryami (Elves/Dryads) have already begun the Greening, planting forests over vast areas. The mermen have a plan to drown the lands and someone else has a plan to raise drowned lands.

So, yes ...
Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism  since 1982.

http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/index.html
Alternate Earth: http://alternateearthrq.soltakss.com/index.html

Simlasa

My main homebrew fantasy setting is a big terraformed patch of an alien world... endorsed and aided by the god-satellites.

Vile Traveller

Good point - people have been terraforming Earth since pre-agricultural times, but I don't recall anyone ever considering the impact magic might have on this. Another example of how most fantasy settings don't really consider the effects of magic outside combat.

Bren

Quote from: soltakss;1008268In our RQPavis Gloranthan game, the Aldryami (Elves/Dryads) have already begun the Greening, planting forests over vast areas. The mermen have a plan to drown the lands and someone else has a plan to raise drowned lands.

So, yes ...
Those tree-hugging Aldryami cause trouble everywhere they are. :D
Currently running: Runequest in Glorantha + Call of Cthulhu   Currently playing: D&D 5E + RQ
My Blog: For Honor...and Intrigue
I have a gold medal from Ravenswing and Gronan owes me bee

Greentongue

How many game revolve around a location and the betterment of it?
Historically people tended to "improve" where they lived but, with wandering adventurers, how often does this matter in games do you think?
=

Omega

I use it extensively in some campaigns. Either by mundane means or by magic, or even superscience. Sometimes an area is accidentally terraformed when a spell or other effect goes awry. A curse might be the culprit. Well meaning druids. etc.

One of the big epic campaigns I wan involved the mind flayers trying to terraform various worlds by darkening their suns.

In my BX to 5e campaign the Atrughin region and especially the plateau area were part of a regional terraforming via a combination of magic and manpower. And large chunks of the great Aelfheim forest kingdom is the result of elves doing it by hand.

Though usually if the terraforming is small scale its more aptly a sort of "bottle ecology".

Dumarest

Hmm, interesting idea, I've really never thought about terraforming outside of sci fi type games. I probably wouldn't have any wizards powerful enough to change their world in that way in a fantasy game as I prefer very low levels of magic accessible to PCs. Maybe an evil NPC but probably still too powerful for me. Interesting idea, though.

jeff37923

Quote from: Headless;1008234Do the inteligent magic using races engage in deliberate habitat creation and destruction in your games?  

Yes.

However, you are thinking in too small of a scale.
"Meh."

Headless

Quote from: jeff37923;1008555Yes.

However, you are thinking in too small of a scale.

You have my attention.

Spinachcat

Quote from: Headless;1008234Do the inteligent magic using races engage in deliberate habitat creation and destruction in your games?  

Not until I read your OP.

Fantasy terraforming is a very cool idea!

Thank you Headless!

Telarus

The t'skrang lizardman race in Earthdawn uses terraforming (aqua-forming?). They live in huge towers submerged halfway in the local river or body of water. One of the larges lakes in Barsaive has 2 outlets and is kept stable by the t'skrang House that lives there. They use "structures" built of "hardened water" (not ice, still ambient temp) to build reefs as fortifications against enemy ships and to control the yearly flow cycles and erosion. Many "ruined" t'skrang towers are left in the dry remains of a river/lake/waterfall.

RPGPundit

In my DCC Last Sun campaign, the entire world is artificial, it's a dyson sphere created around the last sun left in the universe, converting it into a vehicle intended to escape the death of their universe and escape through the void to another one.
LION & DRAGON: Medieval-Authentic OSR Roleplaying is available now! You only THINK you\'ve played \'medieval fantasy\' until you play L&D.

My Blog:  http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com/
The most famous uruguayan gaming blog on the planet!

NEW!
Check out my short OSR supplements series; The RPGPundit Presents!

Dark Albion: The Rose War! The OSR fantasy setting of the history that inspired Shakespeare and Martin alike.
Also available in Variant Cover form!
Also, now with the CULTS OF CHAOS cult-generation sourcebook

ARROWS OF INDRA
Arrows of Indra: The Old-School Epic Indian RPG!
NOW AVAILABLE: AoI in print form

LORDS OF OLYMPUS
The new Diceless RPG of multiversal power, adventure and intrigue, now available.