SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Gurps Traveller Essentials and Wars on Bundle of Holding

Started by Voros, September 20, 2017, 08:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voros

Considering the number of Traveller and Gurps fans on here surprised no one has posted about this Bundle.

Dumarest

Quote from: Voros;994421Considering the number of Traveller and Gurps fans on here surprised no one has posted about this Bundle.

Looks cool. I'd be interested more if I used GURPS  for sci fi stuff.

Funny: my autocorrect wanted the sentence above to say "I'd be more interested if I used GIRLS for sci fi stuff."

Aglondir

I own almost all of these. They are great books, but I doubt I will ever use them in play. There's something about point-buy and Traveller that just feels wrong.

Shawn Driscoll

They make for great Traveller resource books. But to actually play Traveller using GURPS Space? Meh.

Skarg

Looks really good to me. Considering that when I ran Traveller, I imported rules from The Fantasy Trip until I was more happy with the personal combat system, and I tend to use GURPS for everything anyway, I would use this... if I were ever going to run Traveller, and possibly if I were going to run a space campaign. But I haven't run a space P&P RPG in a long time, and I don't really like eBooks, so I'm on the fence. But it's a good price. I'll probably get it just for interest and to feed my inner hoarder (at least it's hoarding that doesn't take up physical space...).

Actually I'm interested in what the space combat system is like.

Aglondir

Quote from: Skarg;994888Actually I'm interested in what the space combat system is like.
Make sure to get Interstellar Wars, it is on p.219.

Dave 2

I got GURPS Traveller Far Trader and Vorkosigan because people kept telling me how great a resource GURPS in general and those in particular were for non-GURPS games.  And, bluntly, I wasn't too impressed.  But then, I never played GURPS myself, and I wonder if that school of thought comes from people who actually played GURPS at one point, so they can make the translation in their head easier?

Might be worth it for deck plans though?  Anyone know how the maps are in GURPS Starports?

Aglondir

Quote from: Dave R;994998Might be worth it for deck plans though?  Anyone know how the maps are in GURPS Starports?
I find the deck plans in Gurps Trav maddening, due to hexes. Gurps Starports has the following deck plans:

• Mercy Class 100-ton Rescue Vehicle
  • Blakeway-Class 100-ton First Response Vessel
  • Douane-Class 50-ton Customs Cruiser
  • Gendarme-class 50-ton Armed Response Cutter

And these maps:

• Graniff Field
  • Space Control Center
  • Alell Grande Downport and Resort Center
  • Mora Imperial Downport and Wavecrest City
  • Fyrandil Imperail Port
  • Dining Establishments
  • Standard Hotel Floor
  • Alien Environmental Suites
  • Low-cost Lodging
  • Passenger Facilities
  • Cargo Facilities
  • Secure Warehouse
  • Vessel Berths

Honestly, they are not that impressive. I would not buy the book for them.

Koltar

Quote from: Shawn Driscoll;994500They make for great Traveller resource books. But to actually play Traveller using GURPS Space? Meh.

I ran GURPS TRAVELLER for at least four years - quite easy to do actually.

- Ed C.
The return of \'You can\'t take the Sky From me!\'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUn-eN8mkDw&feature=rec-fresh+div

This is what a really cool FANTASY RPG should be like :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-WnjVUBDbs

Still here, still alive, at least Seven years now...

Dumarest

Quote from: Aglondir;995012I find the deck plans in Gurps Trav maddening, due to hexes. Gurps Starports has the following deck plans:

• Mercy Class 100-ton Rescue Vehicle
  • Blakeway-Class 100-ton First Response Vessel
  • Douane-Class 50-ton Customs Cruiser
  • Gendarme-class 50-ton Armed Response Cutter

And these maps:I

• Graniff Field
  • Space Control Center
  • Alell Grande Downport and Resort Center
  • Mora Imperial Downport and Wavecrest City
  • Fyrandil Imperail Port
  • Dining Establishments
  • Standard Hotel Floor
  • Alien Environmental Suites
  • Low-cost Lodging
  • Passenger Facilities
  • Cargo Facilities
  • Secure Warehouse
  • Vessel Berths

Honestly, they are not that impressive. I would not buy the book for them.

Good to know.

Great avatar, by the way.

Aglondir

Quote from: Koltar;995016I ran GURPS TRAVELLER for at least four years - quite easy to do actually.
I've never tried Gurps for Sci-fi-- Traveller or otherwise. How lethal is it?
Whenever I look at the weapons tables in Ultra Tech, I shudder to think how things would play out.

Shawn Driscoll

Quote from: Aglondir;995021I've never tried Gurps for Sci-fi-- Traveller or otherwise. How lethal is it?
Whenever I look at the weapons tables in Ultra Tech, I shudder to think how things would play out.

Players typically die in their cubicles during a hostile takeover. If the GM is hand-waving a lot of stuff though, then what's the point of using GURPS again?

Skarg

Quote from: Aglondir;994996Make sure to get Interstellar Wars, it is on p.219.
I almost asked - is the space combat system identical to the system presented in GURPS Traveller Insterstellar Wars 4e?

Skarg

Quote from: Aglondir;995021I've never tried Gurps for Sci-fi-- Traveller or otherwise. How lethal is it?
Depends on the situation, but in general, it's highly lethal. More lethal than Classic Traveller, I would say, if you are talking about shooting people. It's realistically deadly unless you use some options to stop that happening, and naturally the higher-tech weapons tend to be more lethal than modern weapons, so... One shot can and often does take someone out of combat. However, they may likely live if they get good medical attention. Also, especially if you make the gameplay be about controlling what happens and being tactical, then it can be a case of doing things so you don't get shot. Get the drop on people, use cover and terrain, and know when to run, dive for cover, or even give up rather than blasting away and hoping they die and you don't.

There's also high-tech armor, and actually there are quite a few situations where the armor is almost impervious to most non-military personal weapons, unless you use the right ammo, aim for a weak spot, etc. The GM should to figure out what weapons and armor to have in his setting and what the implications are, and that's a bit more complex that figuring it out for medieval weapons.

Medical tech can also make things a lot less lethal. Especially if you rule that a failed death check might be revivable. Then with blow-through, people can get shot several times and still likely be healable.

Or at higher tech, you can allow cloning and braintapes, but I find that about as annoying as games where resurrection is trivial.