SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Any paper RPGs you would like to see a video adventure game of?

Started by Schwartzwald, August 20, 2017, 12:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schwartzwald

I think "eclipse phase" could make a great video adventure RPG.  Especially if it takes place on various planets in the solar system, involves downloading, forking, differering gravities,  nano assembly the exsurgent virus.

Black Vulmea

Quote from: Schwartzwald;985367Any paper RPGs you would like to see a video adventure game of?
Why the fuck would I want to diminish the unfettered imagination of the tabletop roleplaying experience by reducing it to software-delimited boundaries?
"Of course five generic Kobolds in a plain room is going to be dull. Making it potentially not dull is kinda the GM\'s job." - #Ladybird, theRPGsite

Really Bad Eggs - swashbuckling roleplaying games blog  | Promise City - Boot Hill campaign blog

ACS

Voros

Seems worth pointing out that Torment: Tides of Numenra is based on Numenera amd the classic Planescape CRPG.

Tetsubo

I'd love to see the 1992 edition of Gamma World or the second edition of After the Bomb be recreated for video games.

jeff37923

Quote from: Black Vulmea;985371Why the fuck would I want to diminish the unfettered imagination of the tabletop roleplaying experience by reducing it to software-delimited boundaries?

I dunno. Single player solitaire games that could be downloaded as an app to your phone with character uploads to your PC or a printer that also had a "Quick-Play" version of the rules could be good advertising. I think that Traveller/Cepheus Engine could benefit a lot from that.
"Meh."

Simlasa

Quote from: Black Vulmea;985371Why the fuck would I want to diminish the unfettered imagination of the tabletop roleplaying experience by reducing it to software-delimited boundaries?
For the same reason there are video games I'd be interested in as TTRPGs... they have different strengths.
When transitioning between any media you gain and lose.
I'd like to see the visuals of something exotic like Jorune or Tekumel as a video game... hear the language and music and alien creatures.
Maybe have optional dialogue that let me get deeper into the setting. Deus Ex had this, there were surface dialogues that moved the plot forward, but many conversations with NPCs would go deeper if you kept talking to them... but it was stuff that might have been 'boring' to other Players in a TTRPG.
Also, I think video games allow me to engage in a play-style that would annoy other folks in a TTRPG. In Deus Ex (again) I beat the game without killing anyone. It took longer and involved a lot of patience... something I think was better done solo than with a TTRPG group, with some Player wanting to brute-force through everything. It's an approach that I might like to explore with a setting like Eclipse Phase or Transhuman Space.

Schwartzwald

I dunno. Why would you jump into a thread with nothing useful or relevant to contribute to it and just take a steaming shit in it?

Oh,  that's right. Because you're a goatcocksucking shitcicle troll incapable of making a useful post.

Omega

Quote from: Tetsubo;985450I'd love to see the 1992 edition of Gamma World or the second edition of After the Bomb be recreated for video games.

I did a chunk of the sprite work for the FRUA Gamma World mod pack.

Dont know if it or the Famine in Far-Go module is still hosted though?

DavetheLost

Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok could make a great action/RP video game.

Black Vulmea

Quote from: Simlasa;985463Maybe have optional dialogue that let me get deeper into the setting. Deus Ex had this, there were surface dialogues that moved the plot forward, but many conversations with NPCs would go deeper if you kept talking to them... but it was stuff that might have been 'boring' to other Players in a TTRPG.
Also, I think video games allow me to engage in a play-style that would annoy other folks in a TTRPG. In Deus Ex (again) I beat the game without killing anyone. It took longer and involved a lot of patience... something I think was better done solo than with a TTRPG group, with some Player wanting to brute-force through everything.
I think it's profoundly sad that the best argument for this may be, 'Because too many of the roleplayers I know suck at anything besides beating imaginary shit up.'

Quote from: Schwartzwald;985502I dunno. Why would you jump into a thread with nothing useful or relevant to contribute to it and just take a steaming shit in it?
Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot you're new here.

One of the very few remaining noteworthy features of theRPGsite is that, unlike way too many other sites, premises get challenged. If you want to discuss why sucking cock covered in cherry syrup is just the bestest, expect the chocolate sauce fans to toss your salad.

Quote from: Schwartzwald;985502Oh,  that's right. Because you're a goatcocksucking shitcicle troll incapable of making a useful post.
Amateur.
"Of course five generic Kobolds in a plain room is going to be dull. Making it potentially not dull is kinda the GM\'s job." - #Ladybird, theRPGsite

Really Bad Eggs - swashbuckling roleplaying games blog  | Promise City - Boot Hill campaign blog

ACS

Simlasa

Quote from: Black Vulmea;985603I think it's profoundly sad that the best argument for this may be, 'Because too many of the roleplayers I know suck at anything besides beating imaginary shit up.'
Kinda, but it's more about enjoying the solo gaming aspect of most video games. Hogging the spotlight for some 'Me time.'
Like, I played a lot of World of Warcraft and while some players chased after PVP or getting to the 'endgame', I got a lot of fun out of the (at the time) complex crafting sub-game. Wondering around collecting materials, sneaking into areas beyond my level to get higher level materials... fishing in dangerous places. I leveled-up mostly to be able to continue crafting new formulas/recipes.
I could kind of see something like that working out in a game like Ars Magica (which has a Minecraft mod) but in a video game I don't have to worry if I'm being an attention pig by wanting the group to help my wizard seek out roc eggs and spider wine.
In a solo video game I can geek out on the details (or ignore them) as much as I like with no concern for the social niceties of a TTRPG. Not that I think the social aspects of a TTRPG are some sort of burden.

Willie the Duck

There are blocks of what we do in TTRPGs that absolutely are not acts of unfettered imagination. Resource management subgames, playing with numbers until you have an optimal point, pure combat (whether attempting to perfect the optimal strategy given the mechanics of the game, or pure rote rolling dice). Those are all things that people enjoy doing in TTRPG games, but are not specific to them. Some can be just as easily done in, or sometimes even done even better, in a computer format. Some of them, like the pure rote combat, is frankly a guilty pleasure and we probably shouldn't feel bad if it can be done better elsewhere. :-P

Quote from: Simlasa;985673I got a lot of fun out of the (at the time) complex crafting sub-game. Wondering around collecting materials, sneaking into areas beyond my level to get higher level materials... fishing in dangerous places. I leveled-up mostly to be able to continue crafting new formulas/recipes.

I think a lot of the building things in a point or cost/mass/volume system, like making characters in GURPS/HERO system ( just for the sake of making them), or ships in Traveller (or even 3e GURPS: Vehicles) would probably be easier in a computer game.

QuoteIn a solo video game I can geek out on the details (or ignore them) as much as I like with no concern for the social niceties of a TTRPG. Not that I think the social aspects of a TTRPG are some sort of burden.

If that leaves more time when spent with fellow roleplayers doing the unfettered imagination part, it probably works out best for everyone.

Black Vulmea

Quote from: Willie the Duck;985684There are blocks of what we do in TTRPGs that absolutely are not acts of unfettered imagination. Resource management subgames, playing with numbers until you have an optimal point, pure combat (whether attempting to perfect the optimal strategy given the mechanics of the game, or pure rote rolling dice). Those are all things that people enjoy doing in TTRPG games, but are not specific to them. Some can be just as easily done in, or sometimes even done even better, in a computer format.
If you see the most important parts of playing a roleplaying game as charop and arena fights, then yes, computers can help you get your freak on, because crunching numbers is what they are fucking built for from the motherlovin' giddyup.

But a computer will not allow you to go off-script. Ever. Because it can't. A computer game is a script, perhaps massively complex and layered, but a script nevertheless.

ACS

Simlasa

Quote from: Black Vulmea;985690But a computer will not allow you to go off-script. Ever. Because it can't. A computer game is a script, perhaps massively complex and layered, but a script nevertheless.
That's why, despite enjoying various video games, I always find myself, at some point, straining against limits that are not present in TTRPGs.
World of Warcraft looked great, had nice music, lots of fun lore to get into... but yeah, that guy in the inn has all of 5 things he might ever say to me. Once I'd done the quests in an area that's it... move on. Made me want to play a TTRPG version of the game (and there was one).
Still, the video game was pretty good at SOME things that TTRPGs can't/don't do so well.

Willie the Duck

Quote from: Black Vulmea;985690If you see the most important parts of playing a roleplaying game as charop and arena fights, then yes, computers can help you get your freak on, because crunching numbers is what they are fucking built for from the motherlovin' giddyup.

But a computer will not allow you to go off-script. Ever. Because it can't. A computer game is a script, perhaps massively complex and layered, but a script nevertheless.

Correct. Computers are good at what computers do.