Main Menu
SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Problems with posting

Started by catty_big, July 22, 2017, 08:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catty_big

Hope someone can help me. I've been trying to post a reply in a thread I've got going, and it keeps saying 'Non-English characters are not permitted'. However, there aren't any; moreover, I've already posted several times in the same thread without seeing this message. Any idea what might be happening?
Sausage rolls, but bacon rocks!

brettmb

Try PMing the post to me.

catty_big

Thanks, will give that a go.

catty_big

Yep, that worked. Had to split it into two parts due to its exceeding the character limit for messages. If you can reattach them in the one reply them brilliant, if not no worries.

brettmb

Looks like you copied and pasted from a word processor with typographer's quotes/apostrophes. If you replace them with regular ASCII versions, it should work fine.

catty_big

Thanks, I'll give that a go. I don't understand the difference between those two formats but I'll ask some computer-savvy friends.

catty_big

'Tis done :). In the end I edited all the slanted apostrophes and quote marks in the reply field in the thread. The error message told me how many there were, so it was simply a matter of finding and changing them all. Thanks for your help.

brettmb

I'm going to try to have it change them automatically when I get some free time.

catty_big

Quote from: brettmb;978229I'm going to try to have it change them automatically when I get some free time.
That would be brilliant :).

brettmb

I added a little coding to replace fancy quotes and hyphens to regular ones for the web.

catty_big

Quote from: brettmb;978417I added a little coding to replace fancy quotes and hyphens to regular ones for the web.
Awesome !:).

brettmb

Don't get too excited until we see how well it works :)

catty_big

Quote from: brettmb;978503Don't get too excited until we see how well it works :)
Good advice, especially as, er, it doesn't seem to be :(.
 It's doing something very strange now: it's telling me how many 'non-English' apostrophes and quote marks there are, but when I've zapped them all it says this:[ATTACH=CONFIG]1185[/ATTACH]

In other words it acknowledges that there are zero errors, but it's still not accepting the submission.

brettmb

I think it's some strange line breaks. And it shouldn't say anything about apostrophes and quote - just replace them. It sounds like an encoding issue.

I'll look into it.

catty_big