SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Stewart Wieck - Passed Away

Started by TrippyHippy, June 23, 2017, 11:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrippyHippy

I'm slightly shocked to say this, but reports are that Stewart Wieck, one of the founders of White Wolf games, creator of Mage: The Ascension and current owner of Nocturnal Media (publishers of Pendragon RPG among others) has died suddenly at the age of 49.

Sorry, I can't report anything more about it. Regardless, it is a major loss.
I pretended that a picture of a toddler was representative of the Muslim Migrant population to Europe and then lied about a Private Message I sent to Pundit when I was admonished for it.  (Edited by Admin)

crkrueger

Quote from: TrippyHippy;971075I'm slightly shocked to say this, but reports are that Stewart Wieck, one of the founders of White Wolf games, creator of Mage: The Ascension and current owner of Nocturnal Media (publishers of Pendragon RPG among others) has died suddenly at the age of 49.

Sorry, I can't report anything more about it. Regardless, it is a major loss.

Jesus, just keels over after a fencing workout.  Sounds like a defect blew, aneurysm or something.  His brother better get himself checked.  Still, you die with a sword in your hand, you get to party with Odin for all eternity. Them's the rules.
Even the the "cutting edge" storygamers for all their talk of narrative, plot, and drama are fucking obsessed with the god damned rules they use. - Estar

Yes, Sean Connery\'s thumb does indeed do megadamage. - Spinachcat

Isuldur is a badass because he stopped Sauron with a broken sword, but Iluvatar is the badass because he stopped Sauron with a hobbit. -Malleus Arianorum

"Tangency Edition" D&D would have no classes or races, but 17 genders to choose from. -TristramEvans

AsenRG

Quote from: CRKrueger;971079Jesus, just keels over after a fencing workout.  Sounds like a defect blew, aneurysm or something.  His brother better get himself checked.  Still, you die with a sword in your hand, you get to party with Odin for all eternity. Them's the rules.

Never knew the man, but I hope he either rests in peace, or is able to pull some Vampire politics in Valhalla!
What Do You Do In Tekumel? See examples!
"Life is not fair. If the campaign setting is somewhat like life then the setting also is sometimes not fair." - Bren

Barghest

Quote from: CRKrueger;971079Still, you die with a sword in your hand, you get to party with Odin for all eternity. Them's the rules.

As an earnest student of the Eddas, I can confirm this. :cool:

Stewart Wieck died Thursday. I spent all Thursday night, from eight until three in the morning, playing the final session in an epic game of Mage: The Ascension that started last October, the finale of which involved my Verbena killing a rampaging angel with his bare hands. It seems almost a fitting enough tribute.

Goodbye, Mr. Wieck. Your work was enjoyed and mightily influential, and people will still be playing Mage twenty and even thirty years from now (if I have anything to say about it).
"But I thought we were the good guys!"
"No, we\'re not the good guys. We\'re the pigs from Animal Farm."

Opaopajr

OMG, so young... (which conversely reveals my proximity to such age.) My condolences to his loved ones.
Just make your fuckin\' guy and roll the dice, you pricks. Focus on what\'s interesting, not what gives you the biggest randomly generated virtual penis.  -- J Arcane

You know, people keep comparing non-TSR D&D to deck-building in Magic: the Gathering. But maybe it\'s more like Katamari Damacy. You keep sticking shit on your characters until they are big enough to be a star.
-- talysman

Dumarest

That's a shame...I didn't recognize his name offhand but after Googling him I realized I own and enjoyed "The Secret in the Swamp" module he did for Villains & Vigilantes way back when. Too young.

Larsdangly

Does anyone know what got him? I'm 49 and fence so CRK's comment above caught my attention...

K Peterson

Larsdangly

That is really young for a generally fit, active person to die of a heart attack.

Voros

R.I.P. been digging Nocturnal's releases too.

Blusponge

Quote from: Larsdangly;971728That is really young for a generally fit, active person to die of a heart attack.

Statistics show most people do not survive their first heart attack. :(
Currently Running: Fantasy Age: Dark Sun
...and a Brace of Pistols
A blog dedicated to swashbuckling, horror and fantasy roleplaying.

crkrueger

Quote from: Blusponge;971772Statistics show most people do not survive their first heart attack. :(

Still, to just drop dead at 49 is kinda rare for an active person without some genetic thing going on, some weird imbalance, or a crazy amount of stress.

Maybe The Butcher can weigh in.
Even the the "cutting edge" storygamers for all their talk of narrative, plot, and drama are fucking obsessed with the god damned rules they use. - Estar

Yes, Sean Connery\'s thumb does indeed do megadamage. - Spinachcat

Isuldur is a badass because he stopped Sauron with a broken sword, but Iluvatar is the badass because he stopped Sauron with a hobbit. -Malleus Arianorum

"Tangency Edition" D&D would have no classes or races, but 17 genders to choose from. -TristramEvans

Bedrockbrendan

Quote from: Blusponge;971772Statistics show most people do not survive their first heart attack. :(

I am no expert but are you sure you are not thinking of cardiac arrest and not myocardial infarction (heart attack) because I believe the survival rate for that is not so bad (whereas the former is very, very low).

Bedrockbrendan

Quote from: CRKrueger;971775Still, to just drop dead at 49 is kinda rare for an active person without some genetic thing going on, some weird imbalance, or a crazy amount of stress.

Maybe The Butcher can weigh in.

Wouldn't mind getting Butcher's thoughts either.

I think shortly after exercise the chance of a heart attack increases. In health class I was always told 80% of this we can control with diet and exercise but 20% is genetics (who knows where that number comes from though). But being active on its own isn't full immunity. You can be thin, fit and eat in a manner that isn't good for your heart. I know people who are in great physical shape but regularly eat greasy food and roast beef sandwiches. From what I've heard, though, he lived a healthy lifestyle in general.