This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Author Topic: Gary Gygax's FBI File: "Eccentric and Frightening"  (Read 4369 times)

Just Another Snake Cult

• White Trash Archmage
Gary Gygax's FBI File: "Eccentric and Frightening"
« on: June 16, 2017, 04:42:17 PM »
Also: NOT A FUCKING SNITCH. Because "War gamers are loyal to each other".

This is just pure fucking awesome. This has made Gary 10,000 times cooler in my eyes.

https://reason.com/blog/2017/06/15/dd-creator-gary-gygaxs-fbi-records-make
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

kosmos1214

• geekus maximus
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 05:06:15 PM »
Well if I remember right that would have been back In the hoover years and the FBI sure as hell was fucked up under that asshole(that's a technical term).
sjw social just-us warriors

now for a few quotes from my fathers generation
"kill a commie for mommy"

"hey thee i walk through the valley of the shadow of death but i fear no evil because im the meanest son of a bitch in the valley"

Just Another Snake Cult

• White Trash Archmage
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 05:19:33 PM »
Quote from: kosmos1214;969132
Well if I remember right that would have been back In the hoover years and the FBI sure as hell was fucked up under that asshole(that's a technical term).

That was my first impression as well, and I agree with your historical assessment of Hoover... but then I was shocked to read that that FBI report was actually from 1995.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Mordred Pendragon

• All Antifa Are Bastards
  • Mordred Did Nothing Wrong
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 05:21:13 PM »
Why on Earth would Gary Gygax have an FBI record?

I would blame the Satanic Panic, but given that this file is from 1995, that may not be the case.
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Just Another Snake Cult

• White Trash Archmage
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 05:24:32 PM »
More info here:

http://saveversusallwands.blogspot.com/

Long story, but apparently the FBI thought at one point that the Unabomber might be a gamer. Also, Gary's alleged coke habit.

Dumarest

• Vaquero
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 05:47:12 PM »
The FBI also thought John Lennon was the Jackal. They think a lot of stupid things.

Baulderstone

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
Quote from: Doc Sammy;969137

I would blame the Satanic Panic, but given that this file is from 1995, that may not be the case.

It should be pointed out that this is TSR's FBI file, not Gygax's, although he is obviously mentioned. It's a classic case of headlines being written by someone that didn't read the article of chose to distort it. The headline talks about Gary's file, and then the article talks about TSR's file.

The Satanic Panic clearly is a factor into why there is an FBI file. According to the report the FBI investigated bomb threat on TSR in 1986 which I expect would probably be linked to the Satanic Panic. There was another one in 1992 or 1993. The cause of that one is less obvious.

Nexus

• N
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 10:02:11 PM »
(Damn, I posted something about this just moment's ago. To long for a ninja so I'll fall back on SCOOPED)

Having his name in all caps like that seems like he's some kind of Evil Organization like COBRA or HYDRA

"Armies of the Night...

Evil taking flight!

GYGAX...

GYGAX!

Nerds who risk it all...

to the wicked call...

GYGAX....

GYGAX!

Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, panic spreading (rolls dice) far and (rolls dice) wide!"
Remember when Illinois Nazis where a joke in the Blue Brothers movie?

Democracy, meh? (538)

"The salient fact of American politics is that there are fifty to seventy million voters each of whom will volunteer to live, with his family, in a cardboard box under an overpass, and cook sparrows on an old curtain rod, if someone would only guarantee that the black, gay, Hispanic, liberal, whatever, in the next box over doesn’t even have a curtain rod, or a sparrow to put on it."

crkrueger

• Hulk in the Vineyard
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 10:35:49 PM »
Now I have to know what [Redacted] FRESNO is.

Gonna have to start filing FOIA requests, this shit is gold for Delta Green.
Even the the "cutting edge" storygamers for all their talk of narrative, plot, and drama are fucking obsessed with the god damned rules they use. - Estar

Yes, Sean Connery's thumb does indeed do megadamage. - Spinachcat

Isuldur is a badass because he stopped Sauron with a broken sword, but Iluvatar is the badass because he stopped Sauron with a hobbit. -Malleus Arianorum

"Tangency Edition" D&D would have no classes or races, but 17 genders to choose from. -TristramEvans

Christopher Brady

• The Voice of Raisin
  • C
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 11:08:30 PM »
Quote from: Doc Sammy;969137

Because anyone who can be considered a 'subversive' has one, and by subversive are those who think for themselves, or use their imagination, which roleplayers do.
"And now, my friends, a Dragon's toast!  To life's little blessings:  wars, plagues and all forms of evil.  Their presence keeps us alert --- and their absence makes us grateful." -T.A. Barron[/SIZE]

Nexus

• N
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 11:17:08 PM »
That Gary Gygax is one bad mutha-

SHUT YO' MOUTH!

Just talkin' bout Gary....

We can dig it!

He's a complicated man, no one understands...

'cept those that study Appendix N....
Remember when Illinois Nazis where a joke in the Blue Brothers movie?

Democracy, meh? (538)

"The salient fact of American politics is that there are fifty to seventy million voters each of whom will volunteer to live, with his family, in a cardboard box under an overpass, and cook sparrows on an old curtain rod, if someone would only guarantee that the black, gay, Hispanic, liberal, whatever, in the next box over doesn’t even have a curtain rod, or a sparrow to put on it."

Elfdart

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 11:28:35 PM »
Quote from: kosmos1214;969132

Hoover died while Nixon was in office.
Jesus Fucking Christ, is this guy honestly that goddamned stupid? He can't understand the plot of a Star Wars film? We're not talking about "Rashomon" here, for fuck's sake. The plot is as linear as they come. If anything, the film tries too hard to fill in all the gaps. This guy must be a flaming retard.  --Mike Wong on Red Letter Moron's review of The Phantom Menace

kosmos1214

• geekus maximus
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 11:32:11 PM »
Quote from: Elfdart;969203
Hoover died while Nixon was in office.
Yeah I reilised that when he brought up it was from 95 thought there was carry over for several years after that and being as its a tsr report is A notable  difference.
sjw social just-us warriors

now for a few quotes from my fathers generation
"kill a commie for mommy"

"hey thee i walk through the valley of the shadow of death but i fear no evil because im the meanest son of a bitch in the valley"

crkrueger

• Hulk in the Vineyard
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 11:41:46 PM »
Quote from: Christopher Brady;969197
Because anyone who can be considered a 'subversive' has one, and by subversive are those who think for themselves, or use their imagination, which roleplayers do.

...or anyone who ever joined Greenpeace in college.
Even the the "cutting edge" storygamers for all their talk of narrative, plot, and drama are fucking obsessed with the god damned rules they use. - Estar

Yes, Sean Connery's thumb does indeed do megadamage. - Spinachcat

Isuldur is a badass because he stopped Sauron with a broken sword, but Iluvatar is the badass because he stopped Sauron with a hobbit. -Malleus Arianorum

"Tangency Edition" D&D would have no classes or races, but 17 genders to choose from. -TristramEvans

Christopher Brady

• The Voice of Raisin
  • C
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 12:08:42 AM »
Quote from: CRKrueger;969206
...or anyone who ever joined Greenpeace in college.

You'd be amazed at who 'has a file'.
"And now, my friends, a Dragon's toast!  To life's little blessings:  wars, plagues and all forms of evil.  Their presence keeps us alert --- and their absence makes us grateful." -T.A. Barron[/SIZE]