SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

New Alternity RPG?

Started by Spinachcat, April 29, 2017, 02:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spinachcat

Apparently...there's a new edition of Alternity
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sasquatchgamestudio/alternity-2017-a-science-fiction-roleplaying-game

Was anyone here part of the playtest?

Anything interesting about this version we should know?

What's to get excited about? I'm not seeing the buzz from the blather on the KS page.

And where the hell is a new edition of Star Frontiers? I'd even consider playing the 5e system if there were Vrusks, Drasalites and Yazarians again. Damn, such fond memories of that game.

Omega

Quote from: Spinachcat;959872Apparently...there's a new edition of Alternity
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sasquatchgamestudio/alternity-2017-a-science-fiction-roleplaying-game

Was anyone here part of the playtest?

Anything interesting about this version we should know?

What's to get excited about? I'm not seeing the buzz from the blather on the KS page.

And where the hell is a new edition of Star Frontiers? I'd even consider playing the 5e system if there were Vrusks, Drasalites and Yazarians again. Damn, such fond memories of that game.

Are the original designers a part of this at all? Doesnt really sound like it aside from an offhand comment at the bottom? In fact sounds like its a new game with the Alternity title slapped on it? and none of the iconic races or setting?

This sounds like a rip-off predating on nostalgia?

Omega

Quote from: Spinachcat;959872And where the hell is a new edition of Star Frontiers? I'd even consider playing the 5e system if there were Vrusks, Drasalites and Yazarians again. Damn, such fond memories of that game.

Star Frontiers is still alive online despite Steve Jacksons best efforts.

Ronin

Quote from: Omega;959878Star Frontiers is still alive online despite Steve Jacksons best efforts.

Yes Star Frontiers is alive. But Steve Jackson has never had anything to do with it. Good, bad, or otherwise.
Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacré mercenaire

Ronin\'s Fortress, my blog of RPG\'s, and stuff

estar

Quote from: Omega;959877Are the original designers a part of this at all? Doesnt really sound like it aside from an offhand comment at the bottom? In fact sounds like its a new game with the Alternity title slapped on it? and none of the iconic races or setting?

This sounds like a rip-off predating on nostalgia?

From the Sasquatch Studio website it looks like Richard Baker, one of the authors of the original Alternity, is part of this effort. So yes so while it appears to be Alternity in name only, it got some of the original people behind it.

estar

Quote from: Ronin;959879Yes Star Frontiers is alive. But Steve Jackson has never had anything to do with it. Good, bad, or otherwise.

Back in the early 2000s fans of Birthright, and other less popular settings and lines from TSR struck deals with Wizard to post material and support them non-commercially. Star Frontiers was one of them. They have a series of digitally remastered pdfs on their site as well as a pdf magazine called Star Frontiersman that has pretty a high production value.

Omega

Quote from: Ronin;959879Yes Star Frontiers is alive. But Steve Jackson has never had anything to do with it. Good, bad, or otherwise.

Actually yes he did.

Krimson

Quote from: Spinachcat;959872And where the hell is a new edition of Star Frontiers? I'd even consider playing the 5e system if there were Vrusks, Drasalites and Yazarians again. Damn, such fond memories of that game.

Well there is this.
"Anyways, I for one never felt like it had a worse \'yiff factor\' than any other system." -- RPGPundit

Dumarest

Quote from: Omega;959890Actually yes he did.

Got any evidence to support that?

Nexus

Quote from: estar;959887Back in the early 2000s fans of Birthright, and other less popular settings and lines from TSR struck deals with Wizard to post material and support them non-commercially. Star Frontiers was one of them. They have a series of digitally remastered pdfs on their site as well as a pdf magazine called Star Frontiersman that has pretty a high production value.

Oh cool. I had fun with the game back in the day.
Remember when Illinois Nazis where a joke in the Blue Brothers movie?

Democracy, meh? (538)

"The salient fact of American politics is that there are fifty to seventy million voters each of whom will volunteer to live, with his family, in a cardboard box under an overpass, and cook sparrows on an old curtain rod, if someone would only guarantee that the black, gay, Hispanic, liberal, whatever, in the next box over doesn't even have a curtain rod, or a sparrow to put on it."

Ronin

Quote from: Dumarest;959904Got any evidence to support that?

yeah, how so? Curious minds want to know
Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacré mercenaire

Ronin\'s Fortress, my blog of RPG\'s, and stuff

Omega

Quote from: Dumarest;959904Got any evidence to support that?

Yep. From Jackson himself no less. Reed may have started it. But he posted from the SJG offices to RPG.net and WOTC and Jackson backed him up.
The back and fourth with the SF site and WOTC involved should still be up either on RPG.net or the SF site. Obviously it got sorted out eventually. But it is still talked about now and then a decade and a half later.

Dumarest

Quote from: Omega;959964Yep. From Jackson himself no less. Reed may have started it. But he posted from the SJG offices to RPG.net and WOTC and Jackson backed him up.
The back and fourth with the SF site and WOTC involved should still be up either on RPG.net or the SF site. Obviously it got sorted out eventually. But it is still talked about now and then a decade and a half later.

Okay, present the evidence. Writing "from Jackson himself" isn't evidence. Provide the links showing Steve Jackson is one of the forgotten creators of Star Frontiers.

crkrueger

To be fair Omega never said he was a "hidden creator".  Sounds like he had a finger in the pie on the money/copyright/trademark/IP end.

Also, there are two Steve Jacksons in gaming.
Even the the "cutting edge" storygamers for all their talk of narrative, plot, and drama are fucking obsessed with the god damned rules they use. - Estar

Yes, Sean Connery\'s thumb does indeed do megadamage. - Spinachcat

Isuldur is a badass because he stopped Sauron with a broken sword, but Iluvatar is the badass because he stopped Sauron with a hobbit. -Malleus Arianorum

"Tangency Edition" D&D would have no classes or races, but 17 genders to choose from. -TristramEvans

Dumarest

Quote from: CRKrueger;959980To be fair Omega never said he was a "hidden creator".  Sounds like he had a finger in the pie on the money/copyright/trademark/IP end.

Also, there are two Steve Jacksons in gaming.

Okay, forgotten creator may have been my misreading, but to be fair to me Omega is vaguely asserting things and then providing zilch to back it up. And either Steve Jackson having a hand or finger in Star Frontiers would be news to me.