SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Rules light Old West RPGs

Started by ligedog, April 23, 2017, 10:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ligedog

I'm looking around myself but wanted to see if anyone could recommend a currently produced/supported Old West RPG.  Preferably something about as complex as an OSR game or Traveller.  Any recommendations?

rgrove0172

Find an old copy of Boot Hill

ligedog

I have one and it would probably work for my purposes but wanted to see if there was anything newer out there.

K Peterson

Omega

Legends of the Untamed West: Dark City Games sort of TFT lite rethemed to a western. Base rules are free.
http://www.darkcitygames.com/docs/UntamedWest.pdf
They also have one solo adventure out.

Gunslinger: by Avalon Hill. Wargame. But gets the job done.

Heard of a BRP book called Devils Gulch that is supposed to be a Wild West rendering of the rules?

And Boot Hill of course. Also more a wargame. Though later editions add a few RPG elements.

3rik

Gunslingers & Gamblers, by FJ Gaming

There's a version using a poker dice-based system and one using the so-called Streamline system. I own the latter myself. Go to DTRPG/RPGNow for the pdf. Available from lulu.com in print and pdf.
It\'s not Its

"It\'s said that governments are chiefed by the double tongues" - Ten Bears (The Outlaw Josey Wales)

@RPGbericht

Omega

Also apparently FGU's old Wild West RPG is up online with permission.

Ulairi

I'd suggest Aces & Eights. The core rules (or the lite version) are just a couple pages long and everything else is modular. I'd also recommend GURPS Lite and add in stuff from core GURPS on an as needed basis. Both are pretty simple and because the systems are modular you can just add what you need (if anything extra) and forget the rest.

Larsdangly

If you just want to have fun playing a western game, I'd grab 1st or 2nd edition Boot Hill. If you are a bit more fussy about the structures of rules and so forth, try 3rd edition Boot Hill.

Shawn Driscoll

Quote from: ligedog;959079I'm looking around myself but wanted to see if anyone could recommend a currently produced/supported Old West RPG.  Preferably something about as complex as an OSR game or Traveller.  Any recommendations?

Traveller: Cowboys vs. Xenomorphs

Best Western game mechanic. And lite. Leave out the Xenomorphs.

Dumarest

Quote from: Larsdangly;959127If you just want to have fun playing a western game, I'd grab 1st or 2nd edition Boot Hill. If you are a bit more fussy about the structures of rules and so forth, try 3rd edition Boot Hill.

I second that. I wish I still had 2nd edition Boot Hill. I have 3rd but the skills list is just way too much for me. I recently lost a copy of 2nd on eBay...went far too high for me!

Simon W

Blood & Bullets is free to download and is based on Swords & Wizardry Whitebox. At 40 A5 pages, it is pretty much rules light.

Ronin

All Flesh Must Be Eaten core book (unisystem), with the Fist full of Zombies book. Strip out the zombies and there you go.
Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacré mercenaire

Ronin\'s Fortress, my blog of RPG\'s, and stuff

Black Vulmea

Quote from: Omega;959101And Boot Hill of course. Also more a wargame. Though later editions add a few RPG elements.
ohforthesakeoffuck

Quote from: Ronin;959267All Flesh Must Be Eaten core book (unisystem), with the Fist full of Zombies book. Strip out the zombies and there you go.
So buy a game and a supplement then ignore the main part of the supplement.

I love thoughtful, practical suggestions. This isn't one of them.
"Of course five generic Kobolds in a plain room is going to be dull. Making it potentially not dull is kinda the GM\'s job." - #Ladybird, theRPGsite

Really Bad Eggs - swashbuckling roleplaying games blog  | Promise City - Boot Hill campaign blog

ACS

Black Vulmea

Quote from: ligedog;959079I'm looking around myself but wanted to see if anyone could recommend a currently produced/supported Old West RPG.
Why does it have to be "currently produced/supported?" Are you incapable of taking a supplement written for one game and adapting it to another?
"Of course five generic Kobolds in a plain room is going to be dull. Making it potentially not dull is kinda the GM\'s job." - #Ladybird, theRPGsite

Really Bad Eggs - swashbuckling roleplaying games blog  | Promise City - Boot Hill campaign blog

ACS