SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Running Mythras advice

Started by Llew ap Hywel, March 19, 2017, 07:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Llew ap Hywel

So our Tyranny of Dragons campaign is winding to an end and I'm thinking of ending my gamemaster hiatus by running a Mythras campaign. I've had the books since they came out and am familiar with the rules out of game though unpracticed in running them.

So I guess my question is what tips and advice do you have?

Any pitfalls to avoid?
How do you best balance combat so not to slaughter the characters?
Other than the advice in the book is there anything else worth reading (on the internet)?

I've a campaign storybook in mind and pencilled out but any recommended settings? I'm thinking ancient world as that's just generally the period I like and thought Thennla but I need a wicked slave owning empire as a backdrop.

I've heard Xoth mentioned.
Talk gaming or talk to someone else.

Coffee Zombie

Stress to your players that combat is more deadly in comparison to modern D&D. Tanking isn't going to work, and they need to choose their battles wisely. Run a lot of mock combats to get a feel for outcomes, and make sure to scale your opponents to the group. And don't just stick to "assumed rolls of 50", roll them out and see what happens.

Even matches in D100 games tend to be a lot more significant. Really pay attention to the attack % and damage output. I found D100 easier to run but also kept conflicts more grounded in reality, and avoided ever throwing a swarm at the group (they would die). Make sure the group has some access to shelter, retreat and possibly healing. If you want them to run, don't back them into corners. I've also found environmental hazards feel more interesting in D100, as it's a more skills oriented game.

Just mentioning, on top of Mythras, there is also the Classic Fantasy line for Mythras - a way to pull the swords and sandals into more conventional fantasy adventure role-playing if you're interested. A lot of it depends on what you want to run, in terms of game style.
Check out my adventure for Mythras: Classic Fantasy N1: The Valley of the Mad Wizard

Llew ap Hywel

Quote from: Coffee Zombie;952577Stress to your players that combat is more deadly in comparison to modern D&D. Tanking isn't going to work, and they need to choose their battles wisely. Run a lot of mock combats to get a feel for outcomes, and make sure to scale your opponents to the group. And don't just stick to "assumed rolls of 50", roll them out and see what happens.

Even matches in D100 games tend to be a lot more significant. Really pay attention to the attack % and damage output. I found D100 easier to run but also kept conflicts more grounded in reality, and avoided ever throwing a swarm at the group (they would die). Make sure the group has some access to shelter, retreat and possibly healing. If you want them to run, don't back them into corners. I've also found environmental hazards feel more interesting in D100, as it's a more skills oriented game.

Just mentioning, on top of Mythras, there is also the Classic Fantasy line for Mythras - a way to pull the swords and sandals into more conventional fantasy adventure role-playing if you're interested. A lot of it depends on what you want to run, in terms of game style.

I have classic fantasy and it's a great book but I'm deliberately leaning away from the D&D experience.

How do the rabble and underling rules work/feel in play? I definitely want a grittier game but the occasional heroic stand is a favourite.

Baulderstone

Be sure to have a few copies of a chart listing all the combat options out on the table for players to peruse. On top of that, don't expect players to be familiar with them all to start. When your players make characters, think of a handful of effects that make sense for the character they made. That way, they have a shortlist during their initial fights to pick from that will be useful. The full list is there on the table for when they get comfortable for the list and want to look for more. You can also guide players to it when they ask to do something that an effect covers. Once players have the hang of effects, they are intuitive and can speed up combat, but if you drown players in them, it can be a lot of analysis paralysis.

As far as Thennla goes, the evil guys are relative. Korntia sees itself as enlightened city-states with a tradition of democracy, but to the barbarians they are encroaching on, and to the Taskans, they are the evil slave owners. You could keep most of the cultural information exacly the same and tweak them into villains pretty easily. Turn the good aspects of Korantia into reasons for them to be more smug and self-satisfied, making players hate them more.

The Korantia book also has two factions pushing for unification. There is the Emperor, obviously. There is also that league of city-states that is dominated by one powerful city state (sorry, it's been awhile since I last used it so my memory is faded). You could have either of those forces succeed in their goal of uniting Korantia, making them a sudden threat to the rest of the world. Make all their gods a shade creepier, so their theurgy and temples become scarier.

Just a thought.

I do like the way that Thennla pits the democratic slave-holders against the autocratic god-emperor spreading equality.

AaronBrown99

I purchased Mythras and CF, but was seduced for a time by Mutant Chronicles and Infinity quickstarts...

Please keep us appraised of how it proceeds. I'm sure others may find your experiences instructive as well!
"Who cares if the classes are balanced? A Cosmo-Knight and a Vagabond walk into a Juicer Bar... Forget it Jake, it\'s Rifts."  - CRKrueger

AsenRG

Quote from: HorusArisen;952575So our Tyranny of Dragons campaign is winding to an end and I'm thinking of ending my gamemaster hiatus by running a Mythras campaign. I've had the books since they came out and am familiar with the rules out of game though unpracticed in running them.

So I guess my question is what tips and advice do you have?
Don't run it like D&D, because it isn't D&D, and isn't meant to be. The point of Mythras is that characters are integrated in a society - just see the advancement system getting you more "lessons" if you have more Charisma...because people like you better and give you free tips.
Make them part of a society, with obligations to their family, religion, caste/social class, community and general society. Give them NPCs to meet with competing obligations. Let them resolve their differences.
Stand back, and watch the show.

QuoteAny pitfalls to avoid?
Trying to run it like d20 is the biggest pitfall IME:).

QuoteHow do you best balance combat so not to slaughter the characters?
I don't, and IMO, you shouldn't either.
Let them gain allies and enemies. Give them enemies that are as skilled as they should be, as numerous as they should, as equipped as they should (you can randomize somewhat;)). Let them deal with it or run outmatched.
Let them plan ambushes and get ambushed (or take precautions), let them posture to avoid fights, switch to less lethal competitions, negotiate to de-escalate, win fights and get ransoms and blood prices to pay. Let them get captured and have an obligation to pay a ransom.

QuoteOther than the advice in the book is there anything else worth reading (on the internet)?
Runequest: Vikings, by the same authors, has great advice (and is mostly compatible with the current version), IME.

QuoteI've a campaign storybook in mind and pencilled out but any recommended settings? I'm thinking ancient world as that's just generally the period I like and thought Thennla but I need a wicked slave owning empire as a backdrop.

I've heard Xoth mentioned.
Rome fits your criteria, and Mythras' Mythic Rome is a great book!
Not sure what "a campaign storybook" is, so can't comment on the rest;).
What Do You Do In Tekumel? See examples!
"Life is not fair. If the campaign setting is somewhat like life then the setting also is sometimes not fair." - Bren

Llew ap Hywel

Quote from: AaronBrown99;952685I purchased Mythras and CF, but was seduced for a time by Mutant Chronicles and Infinity quickstarts...

Please keep us appraised of how it proceeds. I'm sure others may find your experiences instructive as well!

Hmm I will, keeping a journal always helps my games so I'll think about posting a bit here :)

Llew ap Hywel

Quote from: AsenRG;952688Don't run it like D&D, because it isn't D&D, and isn't meant to be. The point of Mythras is that characters are integrated in a society - just see the advancement system getting you more "lessons" if you have more Charisma...because people like you better and give you free tips.
Make them part of a society, with obligations to their family, religion, caste/social class, community and general society. Give them NPCs to meet with competing obligations. Let them resolve their differences.
Stand back, and watch the show.

Trying to run it like d20 is the biggest pitfall IME:).

This seems like the best bit of advice and one that has me going back over my notes carefully.

Quote from: AsenRG;952688I don't, and IMO, you shouldn't either.
Let them gain allies and enemies. Give them enemies that are as skilled as they should be, as numerous as they should, as equipped as they should (you can randomize somewhat;)). Let them deal with it or run outmatched.
Let them plan ambushes and get ambushed (or take precautions), let them posture to avoid fights, switch to less lethal competitions, negotiate to de-escalate, win fights and get ransoms and blood prices to pay. Let them get captured and have an obligation to pay a ransom.

How do you stop a group of long time D&D players getting their characters killed? I'm a little concerned about putting them off the system by having them treat every encounter like their playing D&D.

Quote from: AsenRG;952688Runequest: Vikings, by the same authors, has great advice (and is mostly compatible with the current version), IME.

I'll have to see if I can locate a copy.

Quote from: AsenRG;952688Rome fits your criteria, and Mythras' Mythic Rome is a great book!
Not sure what "a campaign storybook" is, so can't comment on the rest;).

Loving Mythic Rome, just finished a quick read through but I'm thinking something more Mesopotamia than Rome.

Campaign storybook is where I keep my notes about the setting, the events happening and NPC's the PC's might interact with and then later a log of their actions to refer back to so I can take the next steps to keep the game moving.

I have a few dozen now, lots of fond memories of good games.

Llew ap Hywel

Quote from: Baulderstone;952667Be sure to have a few copies of a chart listing all the combat options out on the table for players to peruse. On top of that, don't expect players to be familiar with them all to start. When your players make characters, think of a handful of effects that make sense for the character they made. That way, they have a shortlist during their initial fights to pick from that will be useful. The full list is there on the table for when they get comfortable for the list and want to look for more. You can also guide players to it when they ask to do something that an effect covers. Once players have the hang of effects, they are intuitive and can speed up combat, but if you drown players in them, it can be a lot of analysis paralysis.

As far as Thennla goes, the evil guys are relative. Korntia sees itself as enlightened city-states with a tradition of democracy, but to the barbarians they are encroaching on, and to the Taskans, they are the evil slave owners. You could keep most of the cultural information exacly the same and tweak them into villains pretty easily. Turn the good aspects of Korantia into reasons for them to be more smug and self-satisfied, making players hate them more.

The Korantia book also has two factions pushing for unification. There is the Emperor, obviously. There is also that league of city-states that is dominated by one powerful city state (sorry, it's been awhile since I last used it so my memory is faded). You could have either of those forces succeed in their goal of uniting Korantia, making them a sudden threat to the rest of the world. Make all their gods a shade creepier, so their theurgy and temples become scarier.

Just a thought.

I do like the way that Thennla pits the democratic slave-holders against the autocratic god-emperor spreading equality.

I really like Thennla, I wanted to go a bit darker and a bit more savage world with pockets of decadent civilisation. Mmm I might take a step back from that and use an established setting and a different set up for them.

Copy of the charts seems a good idea, any other useful handouts?

crkrueger

If you want dark, savage and decadent...

You might want to take a look at Xoth, written by Thulsa aka Morten Braten.  There are versions for different systems, but one of them is Legend, which is Mongoose's OGL version of Mongoose Runequest II, which was a precursor to Mythras written by Loz and Pete, so it's extremely compatible. Xoth is a Howardian S&S setting.

The Spider God's Bride
Song of the Beast Gods
Citadel Beyond the North Wind

Also for Mythras, there's the Book of Quests, which is set in a world called The Realm, and has a campaign of adventures.  The Realm is a little more Fafhr and Mouser style Sword and Sorcery.

There's The Savage North, a Conan-like setting for Openquest.

If you just feel like setting inspiration and don't care about rules, there's Totems of the Dead for Savage Worlds which is basically Hyborian Age North America.  There's also Beasts and Barbarians for SW as well.

Primeval Thule has been written for nearly every system there is, unfortunately no d100 based systems.

The adventures for Astonishing Swordsman and Sorcerers of Hyperborea are pretty good, but for the AS&SH system.

Tales of the Fallen Empire for DCC is a really good S&S supplement for that system.

Make sure you make use of the Mythras Encounter Generator, too.
Even the the "cutting edge" storygamers for all their talk of narrative, plot, and drama are fucking obsessed with the god damned rules they use. - Estar

Yes, Sean Connery\'s thumb does indeed do megadamage. - Spinachcat

Isuldur is a badass because he stopped Sauron with a broken sword, but Iluvatar is the badass because he stopped Sauron with a hobbit. -Malleus Arianorum

"Tangency Edition" D&D would have no classes or races, but 17 genders to choose from. -TristramEvans

crkrueger

As far as pitfalls/suggestions go, I'd follow a lot of what Asen said.  Simply forget about the PCs at first, and work on worldbuilding, develop all kinds of Religions, Magical Orders, Monastic Temples, Thieves Guilds, Merchants Guilds, etc... to give players ties to the setting through the Cult system.

Then decide on for your campaign, what are the various skill levels going to be and how rare will they be.  For example, I defined the following skill levels.
  • Novice Skill Level / Cannon Fodder Troop Quality
  • Amateur Skill Level / Boot Camp Troop Quality
  • Competent Skill Level / Green Troop Quality
  • Professional Skill Level / Seasoned Troop Quality
  • Expert Skill Level / Veteran Quality
  • Master Skill Level / Elite Quality
  • Legendary (same for both)
  • Mythic (same for both)
  • Godlike (same for both)
Once you do that, then you can assign skill ranges to each category.  Then you know the top and bottom range for your campaign.  Then just decide for each group (like Zingaran Freebooters) what the average of different types of NPCs are, then start populating things.

It should be up to the players to try and figure out whether they should assault the Blind Pig, headquarters of the Guts for Garters gang by kicking in the door, drugging their ale, sending over some whores to wear them all out, or sneaking in and slitting throats.

I don't use the Mook Rules, I just play the NPCs accordingly.  If you're talking about a city campaign, hardly anyone is wearing armor, so a good hit with a sword or staff usually means someone is out or probably isn't going to want to continue.  Also, most thugs/gangers/henchmen/whatever aren't going to want to chase PCs across the city because of the chance of running into guards or sprinting into someone else's territory, so if the PCs play smart in trying to get away, every combat doesn't have to be a do or die and every chase doesn't have to be the hour long escape from Goblin-Town.

There's a thread where we were talking specifically about Mythras Conan here.
Even the the "cutting edge" storygamers for all their talk of narrative, plot, and drama are fucking obsessed with the god damned rules they use. - Estar

Isuldur is a badass because he stopped Sauron with a broken sword, but Iluvatar is the badass because he stopped Sauron with a hobbit. -Malleus Arianorum

"Tangency Edition" D&D would have no classes or races, but 17 genders to choose from. -TristramEvans

crkrueger

As far as Magic goes, you need to decide which of the magic types you are going to use and then decide whether you are going to try and also splice in other kinds from other compatible sources.  Then take a look at options for Magic Point regeneration.  How often casters can cast and if there are any downsides to magic use makes a huge difference.

The Butcher

Great thread. I should go into a gaming hiatus soon enough; I intend to run Mythras as soon as I come back. Setting-wise I intend to combine Xoth and Monster Island, or maybe go with one of the historical settings.

I would love to convert a bunch of settings, including Empire of Petal Throne and Totems of the Dead.

AaronBrown99

I watched 47 Ronin recently, and was knocking around a rokugan-like campaign idea with Classic-Fantasy Mythras. Ninja, clans, religious, guilds etc for cults and brotherhoods. Unless there's RQ Japan I don't know about.
"Who cares if the classes are balanced? A Cosmo-Knight and a Vagabond walk into a Juicer Bar... Forget it Jake, it\'s Rifts."  - CRKrueger

Baulderstone

Quote from: AaronBrown99;952768I watched 47 Ronin recently, and was knocking around a rokugan-like campaign idea with Classic-Fantasy Mythras. Ninja, clans, religious, guilds etc for cults and brotherhoods. Unless there's RQ Japan I don't know about.

Essentially there is. Just to give some background, you probably know that Mythras is is just RuneQuest 6 repackaged after Design Mechanism lost the name. The prior edition of RuneQuest was put out by Mongoose, and when they lost the name, they repackaged it as Legend. Both Mythras and Legend were designed Pete Nash and Lawrence Whitaker, and they are almost entirely compatible with no effort.

There is a Legend supplement by Whitaker called Samurai of Legend. Go http://battle.drivethrurpg.com/product/108467/Samurai-of-Legend?sorttest=truehere for PDF or here for hard copy.