SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

How to turn FATE into simulationist system

Started by jux, December 21, 2016, 03:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jux

I am a sucker for rules light RPG systems and I really like what the bare bones of FATE system does in that regard. I especially like a system that has dynamic set of attributes/skills - not predefined list of skills. I think this can give a lot of freedom to the gameplay.

But I also like my games to be absent of "meta" rules, which many story games have. I think this community know best, what I mean. I can tolerate them to some degree, but now when it's a central thing in the game.

So as I read about this recent topic about FUDGE - which to me is kind of dead. No meaningful selection of games are available for it. But FATE has!

So I got really interested when I read that it's easy to strip story-gamey rules from FATE.
http://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?31438-FUDGE-is-kind-of-amazing&p=904270&viewfull=1#post904270

I'd really want to know if anyone has done it, how they use the FATE is such way? What other house-rules would be needed for it to work? As I find the Fate-Point mechanic is quite mandatory.

Also, it was told that FATE 2.0 seemed to be doing what I am looking for. What games are out there for FATE 2? Is it easy to go back to it from a FATE Core game?

estar

Fudge , Fate it all the same thing. Fudge is a toolkit, Fate is a version of that Tool kit. Now Fate adds the idea of aspects which can be considered as packages of benefits along with roleplaying stuff. Along with Stunts which are specialized use of a particular skill. Fate doesn't have attribute instead everything is defined via skills. You could have attributes if you want to go that route.

The biggest issue for simulation of anything that +1 is at least a 35% gain in the chance of success.

Here is my stab at a Fantasy RPG using the mechanics.
http://www.batintheattic.com/downloads/MajesticRealmsRPG_Fudge_Rev%2017.zip

Soylent Green

I'm in complete agreement with Estar, I do see Fudge and Fate as variants of a wider toolset.

I also agree that in terms of making the system more "simulationist" the lack of granularity is probably your biggest obstacle. As a physics model it will always be very broadstrokes.

As for what you might consider "story-gamey " I think it is with making the distinction between Fate/Fudge Points as a simple meta-game currency (like Savage World bennies) are a pure mechanic and meta-game currency that is attached to the narrative as with Fate Aspects invocations.  

I think you can pretty much drop the later (Aspects and invocation) if you like - it is an optional rule in ICONS to play without Aspects. You can also drop Declarations (using Fate Points for narrative control) if that isn't your thing. I'm not convinced you can drop Fate Points altogether, especially in their +2 to roll role because in themselves the Fudge dice are too predictable, too unforgiving if facing unfavorable odds.

If you want you can have a look at my to creations both on the Fudge-Fate spectrum:

Bounty Hunters of the Atomic Wastelands - Fate but toned right down.
https://ukrpdc.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/bounty-hunters-of-the-atomic-wastelands/

Cyberblues City -  Fudge jazzed right up.
https://ukrpdc.wordpress.com/2015/10/04/cyberblues-city/

Both game use meta-game currency I feel they are story-gamey at all.

You could also check out ICONS, though the new edition might have moved a few inches closer into story-game territory.
New! Cyberblues City - like cyberpunk, only more mellow. Free, fully illustrated roleplaying game based on the Fudge system
Bounty Hunters of the Atomic Wastelands, a post-apocalyptic western game based on Fate. It\'s simple, it\'s free and it\'s in colour!

Pyromancer

You can run Fate Accelerated like oD&D. And it's dead easy to convert spending Fate Points from a meta resource to an in game resource like "extra effort".
"From a strange, hostile sky you return home to the world of humans. But you were already gone for so long, and so far away, and so you don\'t even know if your return pleases or pains you."

abcd_z

A year ago I wrote a guide to converting Fate characters to Fudge, based on the Fate Core SRD.  Here's the current version.

**Skills**

Fate skill -> Fudge skill or attribute
Mediocre (+0) -> Mediocre (-1)
Average (+1) -> Fair (0)
Fair (+2) -> Good (+1)
Good (+3) -> Great (+2)
Great (+4) -> Superb (+3)

**Stunts**

"Adding a New Action to a Skill" and "Creating a Rules Exception" stunts are converted to Gifts or just ignored.  A "backstab" stunt that allows you to use Stealth to make a physical attack might become a Gift that does the same, or it might be ignored for being irrelevant to Fudge rules.

"Adding a Bonus to an action" stunts just become skills.  The new skill is the base skill plus one level on the Fudge ladder.  No skill can go above Superb at character creation.

**Character Aspects**  

High Concepts generally translate to Skills and Attributes.  Troubles generally translate to Faults.  Regular aspects generally translate to a combination of traits, both good (Gifts and skills/attributes Good and above) and bad (Faults and skills/attributes Mediocre and below).

Sample conversions:  
Aspect: "The Princess' Favored Student" -> Gift: Social Contact (Princess), Gift: "Princess' Favor", Fault: "Treated poorly by her classmates", Fault: "Politicians want to use her"  
Aspect: "Arrogant Kung Fu Guy" -> Skill: Great Kung Fu, Fault: Overconfidence  
Aspect: "Ivory Tower" -> Attribute: Great Intelligence, Skill: Poor Social Skills  
Aspect: "Trained by Montcharles" -> Skill: Great Fencing, Fault: "Targetted by Montcharles' enemies"  
High Concept: "Dashing Space Smuggler" -> Attribute: Good Charisma, Skill: Great Smuggling  
Trouble: "Jabba Wants His Money" -> Fault: "Jabba Wants His Money"  

**Other Points of Conversion**

Combat and task resolution use Fudge rules, The Fate ladder becomes the Fudge ladder, stress tracks are converted to Wound Tracks, Refresh stays the same, Fate Points become Fudge Points, and all bonuses and penalties are divided by two.

jux

Quote from: Soylent Green;936336I also agree that in terms of making the system more "simulationist" the lack of granularity is probably your biggest obstacle. As a physics model it will always be very broadstrokes.

As for what you might consider "story-gamey " I think it is with making the distinction between Fate/Fudge Points as a simple meta-game currency (like Savage World bennies) are a pure mechanic and meta-game currency that is attached to the narrative as with Fate Aspects invocations.  

I think you can pretty much drop the later (Aspects and invocation) if you like - it is an optional rule in ICONS to play without Aspects. You can also drop Declarations (using Fate Points for narrative control) if that isn't your thing. I'm not convinced you can drop Fate Points altogether, especially in their +2 to roll role because in themselves the Fudge dice are too predictable, too unforgiving if facing unfavorable odds

This is what I want. Physics model with very broad strokes. I also want to keep Aspects, but I want to reduce the player control - narrative mechanism from the game. I want the main CPU for calculating the physics to be the GM. I also do not like the Savage Worlds Pennies for same reason. It's a mechanism to save from extreme bad rolls. I'd rather have the swinginess, than having this to break the immersion.

But regarding FATE, I will take a look several of the resources provided. Starting with FATE 2.0 srd and Fudge light.

Tristram Evans

Quote from: jux;936317Also, it was told that FATE 2.0 seemed to be doing what I am looking for. What games are out there for FATE 2? Is it easy to go back to it with a FATE Core game?

Fate 2nd edition is freely available online. There are no games specifically forFate 2, because its an extra set of rules that adds to any ruleset one is using.

Fate 3rd is a completely different animal,so I don't know what you mean by "go back to it." You can use it instead of the system for a Fate 3rd game, in the way you ca use any system for any setting instead of the one provided.

estar

To show the issue with granularity of 4dF use this combat simulator I wrote for my Fudge variant.
http://www.batintheattic.com/mwrpg/

With equal skills the fight goes like this.

Alex Wins 4979
Brian Wins 5021
Average Rds 4.8549
Total Initial Exchange Kills 870
Total Second Exchange Kills 704

With +1 to Alex OCV we get

Alex Wins 7268
Brian Wins 2732
Average Rds 3.19275
Total Initial Exchange Kills 1300
Total Second Exchange Kills 1022

Simlasa

I think the only thing I'd really want from Fate are the Aspects... or rather, the idea of statements about a character's profession/background/persona that cover a wide swath of skills... avoiding a long list of specific skills/powers. Not 'simulationist' at all really, but probably fast and avoids the way some Players' end up using their skill-based character sheet as a menu.

abcd_z

Quote from: Simlasa;936512I think the only thing I'd really want from Fate are the Aspects... or rather, the idea of statements about a character's profession/background/persona that cover a wide swath of skills... avoiding a long list of specific skills/powers. Not 'simulationist' at all really, but probably fast and avoids the way some Players' end up using their skill-based character sheet as a menu.

Several RPG systems do this by default, including Risus, Wushu, and Over The Edge.

jux

Quote from: Tristram Evans;936483Fate 2nd edition is freely available online. There are no games specifically forFate 2, because its an extra set of rules that adds to any ruleset one is using.

Fate 3rd is a completely different animal,so I don't know what you mean by "go back to it." You can use it instead of the system for a Fate 3rd game, in the way you ca use any system for any setting instead of the one provided.

Tshh, I meant how easy it would be to play Fate 3 game with Fate 2 rules.

jux

Quote from: Simlasa;936512I think the only thing I'd really want from Fate are the Aspects... or rather, the idea of statements about a character's profession/background/persona that cover a wide swath of skills... avoiding a long list of specific skills/powers. Not 'simulationist' at all really, but probably fast and avoids the way some Players' end up using their skill-based character sheet as a menu.

Exactly this is what I am looking for. BUT without the narrative ruleset on top of it. I would like how PC can immerse entirely into character's profession/background/persona - and not have any thought if he has some points left to "activate" his profession or not.

jux

Quote from: abcd_z;936565Several RPG systems do this by default, including Risus, Wushu, and Over The Edge.

Will check those out, thanks!

abcd_z

Oh!  Also the PDQ system.  

I heard Heroquest does something similar, but I'm not as familiar with it.

FYI, Over the Edge has an Open Game Content version of the rules, stripped of setting, called WaRP.

Edit: Also, "FU".  The system, not the... yeah...

Tristram Evans

Quote from: jux;936706Tshh, I meant how easy it would be to play Fate 3 game with Fate 2 rules.

As easy as it would be to play any game with any other set of rules.

All FATE 2 is, is Aspects and a skill pyramid. Thats basically it. No Fate point economy, none of the bells and whistles of Fate 3rd edition. Its basically 5-10 pages (that probably could have been fit onto 2 with different formatting). The FATE 2nd system was meant to be an add-on to other rpg systems, 2nd uses Fudge as an example.

FATE 3rd is a complex stand-alone system that can be found presented as a generic rpg or as the basis for a few settings. You can play those settings with FATE 2nd, the same way you could play Dragonlance with The Window, Shadowrun with Risus, or Call of Cthulhu with FASERIP.