Main Menu
SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

The RPGPundit's Own Forum Rules
This part of the site is controlled by the RPGPundit. This is where he discusses topics that he finds interesting. You may post here, but understand that there are limits. The RPGPundit can shut down any thread, topic of discussion, or user in a thread at his pleasure. This part of the site is essentially his house, so keep that in mind. Note that this is the only part of the site where political discussion is permitted, but is regulated by the RPGPundit.

BTW...

Started by crkrueger, July 29, 2016, 07:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crkrueger

You realize that getting into the definition of what is or isn't a Storygame means also defining what is or isn't a Roleplaying game, right?

Not even Pundit has the balls anymore to pull the trigger and move any particular game discussion to Other Games, yet discussing what makes a game what it is gets moved.

That's fucking rich. ;)

Edit: Touche :hatsoff:
Even the the "cutting edge" storygamers for all their talk of narrative, plot, and drama are fucking obsessed with the god damned rules they use. - Estar

Yes, Sean Connery\'s thumb does indeed do megadamage. - Spinachcat

Isuldur is a badass because he stopped Sauron with a broken sword, but Iluvatar is the badass because he stopped Sauron with a hobbit. -Malleus Arianorum

"Tangency Edition" D&D would have no classes or races, but 17 genders to choose from. -TristramEvans

Koltar

Wasn't that all covered three to four years ago on here

I believe one of those two definitions has become a sticky.

- Ed C.
The return of \'You can\'t take the Sky From me!\'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUn-eN8mkDw&feature=rec-fresh+div

This is what a really cool FANTASY RPG should be like :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-WnjVUBDbs

Still here, still alive, at least Seven years now...

Bedrockbrendan

Quote from: CRKrueger;910527You realize that getting into the definition of what is or isn't a Storygame means also defining what is or isn't a Roleplaying game, right?

Not even Pundit has the balls anymore to pull the trigger and move any particular game discussion to Other Games, yet discussing what makes a game what it is gets moved.

That's fucking rich. ;)

Is this about the What is a Storygame thread that I moved to the Othergames Forum? If so, I saw a discussion that said it was about story games in the subject line and as far as I know, story game stuff still is supposed to go in the other games subform. If I missed some subtlety and made a mistake though happy to move it back. To me it just looked like it belonged in the Other Games subforum.

Snowman0147

Story games are when you a happy to make your character suffer so you the player can get more points to use later on.  Why?  You want to advance the story and the well being of your character is meaningless.  The story is the most important thing no matter how it breaks the setting.

In RPGs the character is paramount.  The only reason why you fuck over your character is if there is a strong reason to do so.  Otherwise the player is doing his best to keep the character alive as losing the character has real impact to the player.  The GM does not break the setting for any story as well for keeping true the setting is paramount as well.

There is your definitions.

RPGPundit

Quote from: CRKrueger;910527You realize that getting into the definition of what is or isn't a Storygame means also defining what is or isn't a Roleplaying game, right?

That's fucking rich. ;)

I have defined what makes an RPG, many many times.

And any storygame, that is on the list of things NOT an RPG, or of course talking about storygames themselves, belongs in the Other Games forum.
LION & DRAGON: Medieval-Authentic OSR Roleplaying is available now! You only THINK you\'ve played \'medieval fantasy\' until you play L&D.

My Blog:  http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com/
The most famous uruguayan gaming blog on the planet!

NEW!
Check out my short OSR supplements series; The RPGPundit Presents!

Dark Albion: The Rose War! The OSR fantasy setting of the history that inspired Shakespeare and Martin alike.
Also available in Variant Cover form!
Also, now with the CULTS OF CHAOS cult-generation sourcebook

ARROWS OF INDRA
Arrows of Indra: The Old-School Epic Indian RPG!
NOW AVAILABLE: AoI in print form

LORDS OF OLYMPUS
The new Diceless RPG of multiversal power, adventure and intrigue, now available.