SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Chronicles of Amber TV series in the making

Started by Soylent Green, July 20, 2016, 04:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soylent Green

This a little off topic, and I might late to the party, but as there are a lot of fan of the game I thought it worth mentioning the the Amber series is going to be turned into a TV series

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/game-of-thrones-chronicles-of-amber-tv-series-the-walking-dead-robert-kirkman-george-rr-martin-roger-a7146491.html

Amber was the first game I've ever GMed. Not sure I'd run it again these days but it will always have a special place in my heart for that.
New! Cyberblues City - like cyberpunk, only more mellow. Free, fully illustrated roleplaying game based on the Fudge system
Bounty Hunters of the Atomic Wastelands, a post-apocalyptic western game based on Fate. It\'s simple, it\'s free and it\'s in colour!

JesterRaiin

Quote from: Soylent Green;909139the Amber series is going to be turned into a TV series

Amber TV series! YAY!

QuoteRobert Kirkman

...oh God... No...

Ah, well, I'm gonna see it anyway.
"If it\'s not appearing, it\'s not a real message." ~ Brett

daniel_ream

Sci-Fi has had the movie rights since the 90's.  It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

Shall we reboot the immortal casting thread?
D&D is becoming Self-Referential.  It is no longer Setting Referential, where it takes references outside of itself. It is becoming like Ouroboros in its self-gleaning for tropes, no longer attached, let alone needing outside context.
~ Opaopajr

Omega

Reminds me I should look up the ill fated White Wolf Vampire TV series.

Lynn

At least it won't be a generation Z teen story like Chronicles of Shannara.
Lynn Fredricks
Entrepreneurial Hat Collector

JesterRaiin

Quote from: daniel_ream;909157Sci-Fi has had the movie rights since the 90's.  It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

Shall we reboot the immortal casting thread?

Starring: Gabourey Sidibe as Corwin...

Manzanaro

This could be excellent. Largely (not entirely) a timeless series. And personally I think Kirkman is pretty damn good.

Zelazny wrote these books flying by the seat of his pants and they could be both expanded upon and tightened up in ways that still remain true to the core bad-ass premise.
You\'re one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan, designed and directed by his red right hand.

- Nick Cave

daniel_ream

Quote from: Manzanaro;909272This could be excellent.

I would disagree.  Corwin is a smoking, hard-drinking, noir protagonist who hits women.  I think much of what it would take to make it palatable to today's audiences would rob it of its flavour.  If they're planning on following the Mad Men/Game of Thrones "no good guys" model that can work.
D&D is becoming Self-Referential.  It is no longer Setting Referential, where it takes references outside of itself. It is becoming like Ouroboros in its self-gleaning for tropes, no longer attached, let alone needing outside context.
~ Opaopajr

Soylent Green

While Kirkman is obviously best know for the Walking Dead, I was introduced to his work via through this stint on the Marvel Two-in-One comic. Marvel Two-in-One doesn't normally feature top tier writing, even by comicbook standards, but his work was clever, funny and with precise but efficient characterisations.
New! Cyberblues City - like cyberpunk, only more mellow. Free, fully illustrated roleplaying game based on the Fudge system
Bounty Hunters of the Atomic Wastelands, a post-apocalyptic western game based on Fate. It\'s simple, it\'s free and it\'s in colour!

Shawn Driscoll

RPGPundit

Quote from: daniel_ream;909292I would disagree.  Corwin is a smoking, hard-drinking, noir protagonist who hits women.  I think much of what it would take to make it palatable to today's audiences would rob it of its flavour.  If they're planning on following the Mad Men/Game of Thrones "no good guys" model that can work.

"No Good Guys" is pretty much true to Amber.
LION & DRAGON: Medieval-Authentic OSR Roleplaying is available now! You only THINK you\'ve played \'medieval fantasy\' until you play L&D.

My Blog:  http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com/
The most famous uruguayan gaming blog on the planet!

NEW!
Check out my short OSR supplements series; The RPGPundit Presents!

Dark Albion: The Rose War! The OSR fantasy setting of the history that inspired Shakespeare and Martin alike.
Also available in Variant Cover form!
Also, now with the CULTS OF CHAOS cult-generation sourcebook

ARROWS OF INDRA
Arrows of Indra: The Old-School Epic Indian RPG!
NOW AVAILABLE: AoI in print form

LORDS OF OLYMPUS
The new Diceless RPG of multiversal power, adventure and intrigue, now available.

Spinachcat

We will see. People will expect Game of Thrones level budget and I wonder if Amber will be done on the cheap instead.

JesterRaiin

Quote from: Spinachcat;909449We will see. People will expect Game of Thrones level budget and I wonder if Amber will be done on the cheap instead.

Come to think about it, Amber happens more "outside", rather than "inside". Plenty of varied landscapes, constructions, fighting on the way... It's a road story.
On one hand it's less props, on the other - locations and CGI...

I wonder how does that influence the required budget.

Manzanaro

Kirkman and Skybound are pretty big names in TV these days, with Walking Dead closing this last season as the number one show on TV. If they do this on a shoestring budget, somebody needs to get their head examined.
You\'re one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan, designed and directed by his red right hand.

- Nick Cave

TrippyHippy

Considering both the success and the finite nature of the Game of Thrones series, it's not surprising that they're looking for more adult orientated fantasy IPs to option. The Amber Chronicles happen to be one of the best.
I pretended that a picture of a toddler was representative of the Muslim Migrant population to Europe and then lied about a Private Message I sent to Pundit when I was admonished for it.  (Edited by Admin)