This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Author Topic: My Kickstarter List  (Read 8304 times)

Motorskills

• M
My Kickstarter List
« on: June 02, 2015, 03:38:06 PM »
I promised OHT I would contribute more to the gaming side of this site, so here's my list of things I have backed in the past couple of years. I've pulled back a little in the past six months, mostly due to blowing most of my gaming budget on the Conan Miniatures game....

ACKS - everything I think, including the new starter module. I mostly got it because of Kiero's excellent Actual Play descriptions of his Ancient Mediterranean hack.

Blades In the Dark - everyone is raving about this. I like the idea, but don't really know much about it

Nefertiti Overdrive - awesome, love the simple, cinematic system, love the setting, hugely evocative.

Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk - Graham Bottley is fantastic, hard-working and communicative. This is a wierd-but-wonderful magic system. As good as it is, the highlight is the use of watercolours for the art, painted by a friend of the Bottley family. Can't think of another product with art like that.

Paranoia RPG - I never loved this as much as others did, too silly for me. That presumably explains why I splashed out a huge chunk of wonga on this, the "join us in New York for a game" level.

Deluxe V20 Dark Ages - I love history, and had a blast running a campaign for my homies back in the day. Very much looking forward to cradling this beast in my arms.

Joe Dever's Lone Wolf - the title is presumably to differentiate it from some manga that's out there. As a huge fan of the game-books back in theday, I have high hopes for this thing, splashed out a chunk of change on it...but wasn't quite committed enough to cough up for the Kai Cloak that was on offer as an add-on.

Designers & Dragons - not strictly a game of course, but a must-have product, a monster piece of research. Compelling reading all the way through.

The Great Kingdom - again, not a game, but rather a movie about the birth of D&D. This project remains stillborn as a result of copyright issues or summat.

Strays - a kid-friendly RPG by someone that posts here. Saw the name, backed it in a heartbeat. It actually looks good too. :)

A World of Dew - A Samurai Noir Roleplaying Game - I don't know the game this is a descendant of (Blood & Honor), but this looks great. There was a positive review recently, which has guilt-tripped me into reading the book properly once I get back home.

He Who laughs Last - A Cthulhu Dark RPG scenario - not read it yet. It was cheap, so I backed it.

Delta Green: Tales From Failed Anatomies - Arc Dream walk on water, if they publish, I will buy.

TimeWatch: GUMSHOE Investigative Time Travel RPG - looks a blast, and the community is super-vibrant. Sadly I haven't had a chance to really get into it yet. Would love to check this out at a convention somewhen.

Scarlet Heroes RPG - I don't even remember backing this....

Adventures in the East Mark - The Red Box - Spanish "BECMI" thingy. Very pretty.
There was some kind of meltdown between the Spanish and American partners and the Blue Box subsequently never(?) materialised. There are already Blue, Green, and Black boxes in Spanish, so we remain in hope.

Torchbearer - easier than Burning Wheel, but still a bit of a brainmelter. Fascinating experiment though, I love this game.

Blade of the Iron Throne - Riddle of Steel reboot apparently. Didn't light my fire, but I should probably revisit it at some point. I remember they received some backlash when they announced that they weren't going to do any more updates on Kickstarter, you had to go to their website. I think they backed away from that fairly sharpish, at least until the product launched.

Sorcerer Upgrade - one of those Ron Edwards' storygames so beloved of this place. I liked the ambition, but the game itself left me cold.

So what you got? :)
“Gosh it’s so interesting (profoundly unsurprising) how men with all these opinions about women’s differentiation between sexual misconduct, assault and rape reveal themselves to be utterly tone deaf and as a result, systemically part of the problem.” - Minnie Driver, December 2017

" Using the phrase "virtue signalling" is 'I'm a sociopath' signalling ". J Wright, July 2018

The Butcher

• Cyborg Shock Trooper
My Kickstarter List
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 05:00:12 PM »
Dwimmermount. I suspect everyone's familiar with the kerfuffle surrounding this one. I only actually came around to looking at the finished product a couple of weeks ago. I think it's solid. I have a couple of long plane trips in the next few days during which I intend to give the thing a fair shake.

Domains At War. I actually missed the ACKS Kickstarter campaign and picked it up only when it actually came out. Suffice to say I'm a big fan, and it's my current go-to ruleset for TSR-flavored D&D. I got the big book but I really, really regret not getting the boxed set with the grids and minis, 'cuz it's a honest-to-God full-blown hex-and-chit wargame that happens to be conversant with the ACKS ruleset.

Transhuman: Eclipse Phase Player's Guide. Got this mostly for the random character generation. Not disappointed. I'll probably get a ton of mileage out of it soon enough.

River of Heaven. Openquest-powered far-future spacefaring SF RPG with transhuman bits. I was massively disappointed to see that they treated enhancements as reskinned magic, complete with "bio energy points" or something. Still, there are some good ideas worth mining in there.

City-State of the Invincible Overlord. James Mishler pulled a Dwimmermount and the Bledsaws are scrambling to get the thing back on track. Sadly, they're no Autarch.

Dungeon Crawl Classics: Peril on the Purple Planet. I sort of expected a full-fledged sword-and-planet DCC campaign setting, but what we got was a mini-campaign that's clearly intended as a detour from a typical DCC campaign, complete with "OMG we have to find our way home" and attending macguffin chase. It's still pretty damned good, though. Fantastic art and science fantasy shenanigans out the wazoo.

Silent Legions: A Sandbox Horror RPG. Kevin Crawford is awesome. I got this only so I could mine it for ideas for Call of Cthulhu, much like I mine Stars Without Number for Mongoose Traveller. I didn't read it yet, in fact I haven't even downloaded it... shit, time to hit Kevin with an email for a new link. :o

Sinister Stone of Sakkara. Autarch again. Yeah, I'm a fanboy. I'm really, really interested in their default campaign setting, the Auran Empire, and the adventure looks nifty.

And it was actually on Indiegogo, but the delay surrounding Raiders of R'lyeh just breaks my heart.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:03:07 PM by The Butcher »

Battle Mad Ronin
BANNED

• BANNED
My Kickstarter List
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 05:12:29 PM »
Jesus, that's basically very major RPG project on there for the last few years :eek:

Tell the truth I'd probably back as many projects if I had the money. My contributions over the last few years:

'Numenera' - a huge disappointment for me, I expected Gene Wolfe's 'New Sun' and got D&D re-skinned with 'nano' and 'tech' instead of 'magic' and 'sorcery'

'Vow of Honor' - pledged a dollar in support. The guy eventually gave the game pdf away for free to backers and the print version for 10 bucks. A great thing for me of course, but Jesus Christ I'd be pissed at him had I pledged 10 dollars for the pdf.

'Atlantis: The Second Age' - a campaign to support the publication of two adventures for Free RPG Day, thought the goal was sympathetic and by all accounts the guy behind it is supposed to work a lot for the hobby.

'The Queen's Cavaliers' - the most interesting project I've backed for ages. I've had enough good games with the play test rules alone to have gotten my moneys worth.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 07:14:18 PM by Battle Mad Ronin »

camazotz

• Zodiac God
    • http://www.lulu.com/camazotz
My Kickstarter List
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 05:48:11 PM »
I've got a few to add (all ones I backed):

Deluxe Tunnels & Trolls - a definitive edition of the 2nd fantasy RPG ever. It was due August 2013 and is according to the latest updates nearing some sort of state of physicality. They stuck a lot of stretch goals on this that I think probably didn't do much good....many of the extras in the form of revisions to classic solo modules and such could have been better suited as Kickstarters of their own if the DT&T rules had been released timely. I have known all involved in this one for ages and have confidence they will come through, but it's a testament to how a KS can get away from even old industry pros. I'm an old T&T fan so I remain supportive even though I will probably be the last one to see all the extras I ordered, as I gather they've all been for sale at cons and such....but meanwhile my big order waits for DT&T to actually complete. Backer beware, but it will be worth it in the end, I think.

Castles & Crusades Color PHB - this was a nice edition, and shipped timely. I think they've since released a newer edition with color beyond what I backed, but I have moved away from my C&C obsession.

Fantasy Hero Complete - also shipped within a month or two of deadline, and looked quite nice, albeit perhaps with less of what I was hoping a "Complete" version would need to qualify (or in other words: Hero System still remains a cumbersome beast, but the Complete editions render it merely "difficult to deal with" rather than nightmarishly cumbersome)

Also backed Designers and Dragons, PDF format only. That one went well.

The Butcher

• Cyborg Shock Trooper
My Kickstarter List
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 05:48:21 PM »
Quote from: Motorskills;834619
Blades In the Dark - everyone is raving about this. I like the idea, but don't really know much about it.

The system looks Apocalypse World-y. Again, I wish I had the chance to give the system a try, the AW/DW fever came and went and I still don't know what the fuss is all about. The setting is interesting.

Deluxe V20 Dark Ages - I love history, and had a blast running a campaign for my homies back in the day. Very much looking forward to cradling this beast in my arms.

So did I. I vaguely regret not backing this.

TimeWatch: GUMSHOE Investigative Time Travel RPG - looks a blast, and the community is super-vibrant. Sadly I haven't had a chance to really get into it yet. Would love to check this out at a convention somewhen.

I'm not crazy about the Gumshoe system (only read it, never ran or played) but some of their setting pitches are really, really good.

Adventures in the East Mark - The Red Box - Spanish "BECMI" thingy. Very pretty.
There was some kind of meltdown between the Spanish and American partners and the Blue Box subsequently never(?) materialised. There are already Blue, Green, and Black boxes in Spanish, so we remain in hope.

I remember people raving about it when it came out. Other than being pretty, though, what's good about it? I don't recall reading a comprehensive review anywhere.

Quote from: Battle Mad Ronin;834633
'Numenera' - a huge disappointment for me, I expected Gene Wolfe's 'New Sun' and got D&D re-skinned with 'nano' and 'tech' instead of 'magic' and 'sorcery'.

It's New Sun-ish enough for my purposes. It's the system I'm still sort of iffy on, I've only played one session. Again, I vaguely regret not backing this, and especially The Strange.

'Vow of Honor' - pledged a dollar in support. The guy eventually gave the game pdf away for free to backers and the print version for 10 bucks. A great thing for me of course, but Jesus Christ I'd be pissed at him had I pledged 10 dollars for the pdf.

Never even heard about it. Googled it. Intriguing, if too narrowly focused for my tastes.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:53:59 PM by The Butcher »

The Butcher

• Cyborg Shock Trooper
My Kickstarter List
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 05:51:59 PM »
'Numenera' - a huge disappointment for me, I expected Gene Wolfe's 'New Sun' and got D&D re-skinned with 'nano' and 'tech' instead of 'magic' and 'sorcery'.

It's New Sun-ish enough for my purposes. It's the system I'm still sort of iffy on, I've only played one session. Again, I vaguely regret not backing this, and especially The Strange.

Never even heard about it. Googled it. Intriguing, if too narrowly focused for my tastes.

camazotz

• Zodiac God
    • http://www.lulu.com/camazotz
My Kickstarter List
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 05:59:12 PM »

*Yes I know about the author and I'm not touching the subject with a ten foot pole.

Damn you for that post script. What a rabbit hole to go down.

misterguignol

• Instigator and Agent
My Kickstarter List
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 06:05:13 PM »
Quote from: The Butcher;834637
The system looks Apocalypse World-y. Again, I wish I had the chance to give the system a try, the AW/DW fever came and went and I still don't know what the fuss is all about. The setting is interesting.

I backed Blades in the Dark, and have played it a couple times. I made a post about the experience, which was positive, here.

The system seems like it was initially maybe an Apocalypse World hack, but has since changed drastically from that core. If I'm not mistaken, AW works on a 2d6+mods engine, right? Blades in the Dark works on a dice pool looking for highest roll engine.

And there aren't any Sex Moves.

One Horse Town

• O
My Kickstarter List
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 06:54:59 PM »

Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk - Graham Bottley is fantastic, hard-working and communicative. This is a wierd-but-wonderful magic system. As good as it is, the highlight is the use of watercolours for the art, painted by a friend of the Bottley family. Can't think of another product with art like that.

Joe Dever's Lone Wolf - the title is presumably to differentiate it from some manga that's out there. As a huge fan of the game-books back in theday, I have high hopes for this thing, splashed out a chunk of change on it...but wasn't quite committed enough to cough up for the Kai Cloak that was on offer as an add-on.

Nice!

These 2 look interesting. Is there any more detail on these?

Spinachcat

• Toxic SocioCat
  • S
My Kickstarter List
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 08:12:53 PM »
Nefertiti Overdrive - awesome, love the simple, cinematic system, love the setting, hugely evocative.

I almost went for this one and kinda regret not jumping in. Is the game done? Have you played it? I would love to try this out a convention or FLGS demo.

Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk - Graham Bottley is fantastic, hard-working and communicative. This is a wierd-but-wonderful magic system.

Another one that got away. By the time I say what the heck, it was over a couple of hours. What makes the magic system "weird but wonderful"?

Quote from: The Butcher;834630
City-State of the Invincible Overlord. James Mishler pulled a Dwimmermount and the Bledsaws are scrambling to get the thing back on track.

Tell us more! WTF happened?

K Peterson

My Kickstarter List
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 08:57:29 PM »
Let's see. From most-recent to oldest, going back to 2013:

Silent Legions - I've liked a lot that Sine Nomine has produced, so threw $20 at this. Wouldn't ever use it as-is, but would steal some ideas from it.

De Horrore Cosmico - scenarios for Cthulhu Invictus by Golden Goblin Press. Looking forward to this. GGP puts out some quality CoC product.

Horrors of War: A Covenant of Death - WW1 Call of Cthulhu scenarios. Really looking forward to this, but things have gotten rather quiet with this KS.

Barbarians of Lemuria: Mythic Edition - Nice little intuitive heroic fantasy Rpg.

River of Heaven - a fair Scifi d100 Rpg. I was a little disappointed in it, and the paper quality for the POD kind of sucks.

Call of Cthulhu, 7th edition - I'm really regretting dropping $100 on this. The more I read of the backer previews, the more disappointed I became. Too many undesirable changes for me, so it'll probably just sit on a shelf and gather dust. I see no reason to 'upgrade' from 6th edition.

Critias

My Kickstarter List
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 09:10:51 PM »
Strays - a kid-friendly RPG by someone that posts here. Saw the name, backed it in a heartbeat. It actually looks good too. :)

Hiya, 'skills!

Just posted an update earlier today with a bunch of artwork in it, hopefully putting folks' minds at ease a little about my recent lack of progress.  We're still shooting for "later this summer," and looking forward to getting it out there into the world.
Ugh. Gross. I resent and am embarrassed by the time I spent thinking this site was okay.

Motorskills

• M
My Kickstarter List
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 11:13:12 PM »
Quote from: Critias;834671
Hiya, 'skills!

Just posted an update earlier today with a bunch of artwork in it, hopefully putting folks' minds at ease a little about my recent lack of progress.  We're still shooting for "later this summer," and looking forward to getting it out there into the world.

Yeah, the artwork looks sweet.

I didn't think I had backed that much in the scheme of things, but maybe I'm wrong on that score judging by some of the comments above. But maybe the fact that I had forgotten I had backed one project should have been a clue. :)

One of the big plusses is that I'm less bothered by delays on any one particular project. (Including Crit's. :D)
“Gosh it’s so interesting (profoundly unsurprising) how men with all these opinions about women’s differentiation between sexual misconduct, assault and rape reveal themselves to be utterly tone deaf and as a result, systemically part of the problem.” - Minnie Driver, December 2017

" Using the phrase "virtue signalling" is 'I'm a sociopath' signalling ". J Wright, July 2018

Motorskills

• M
My Kickstarter List
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 11:19:52 PM »
Quote from: Spinachcat;834662
Another one that got away. By the time I say what the heck, it was over a couple of hours. What makes the magic system "weird but wonderful"?

One example is that all the magic is temporary...including healing. :)

Rafael

• Mead Paw
My Kickstarter List
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 04:11:25 AM »
I backed quite a few KS projects over the last few years, not all of them RPG-related.

Unfulfilled ones were the Brave Halfling trainwreck, and the CSIO - both huge disappointments, so far, and pretty much unfixable, at this point.

Very sweet experiences were all the Shadows over Esteren KS's, as well as the Bethorm/Tekumel KS, "Adventures in the East Mark", and Bruce Heard's World of Calidar.

(I am not talking product or content quality, mind you - I am talking Ks support, delivery, prize-to-prodcut ratio, and I am speaking only as a client of my respective tier.)

Overall, I remain open to play the gamble that is crowdfunding - but, of course, certain names and areas are a no-go, after comparing hype and result.