SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

The RPGPundit's Own Forum Rules
This part of the site is controlled by the RPGPundit. This is where he discusses topics that he finds interesting. You may post here, but understand that there are limits. The RPGPundit can shut down any thread, topic of discussion, or user in a thread at his pleasure. This part of the site is essentially his house, so keep that in mind. Note that this is the only part of the site where political discussion is permitted, but is regulated by the RPGPundit.

RPGPundit Reviews: Isle of the Unknown

Started by RPGPundit, May 13, 2015, 09:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPGPundit

RPGPundit Reviews: Isle of the Unknown

This is a review of the book "Isle of the Unknown", written by Geoffrey McKinney, published by Lamentations of the Flame Princess.
Visually (even kinetically, as a hardcover) this book is gorgeous, which makes it all the more tragic that it's godawful.  It is sold as a "setting designed to be placed in any fantasy campaign", though specifically created with Lamentations of the Flame Princess in mind. It is also advertised as a "hex-based adventure location".  In other words, it is designed for "sandbox"-style play, with every hex on the fairly large map getting one unique detail described (usually in the form of just a few sentences, and never a full page, as the book is only 125 pages long); this notion graduates the book from godawful to "disaster" since it is likely to totally ruin many novices impressions of sandbox play.  I will explain why.

But first, a bit more about the physical book itself. It's gorgeous; it's a nice thick little hardcover, amazing colour cover-image (a true work of art, an image of a forest glen with a statue of a woman playing a harp, with strange glowing colours; quite subtle by LotFP standards, none of the usual gore or weirdness, just a vague eerieness).  The interior of the book is magnificent; the binding quality appears very nice, the pages are full-colour, have a matted texture that feels lovely to the hand, and there are amazing full-colour illustrations in almost every page.  The production values are amazing.  That makes it particularly tragic that as an adventure product the Isle of the Unknown is such a piece of shit.  What I wouldn't give to see the same level of quality in, say, Vornheim or The Majestic Wilderlands (not that either of those aren't very nice books, just that they don't match the lovely production values here).

So how to describe what's wrong with this book?  Well, if you're an old-school gamer you might remember your early efforts to make a setting area.  If you were like me you might have started with a hexmap (or graph paper, if you were really in a stretch), and then for each co-ordinate randomly determined the contents by using the "random monster by terrain" tables in the DMG, until you had a setting that made no fucking sense at all.

Isle of the Unknown is a lot like that.  But even in my most pathetic newbie crimes-against-nature I at least tried to create varied terrain, interesting kingdoms and populations, and some coherence, however minimal.

The one thing in which "Isle" marks some kind of "improvement" (and even that is very tentative) is that the creatures in the book are mostly original; except that they're not very good.  Every single creature is different, and usually a pastiche of various animals plus some weird quality. For example, a cat with metallic fur, immune to all mental attacks and ordinary weapons; it can see the invisible and has poisoned fangs.   Or a bipedal frog the size of a man, who can fly and is immune to surprise, and has a slime spit.  Or a bipedal skunk with bat-wings; where slaying it means the killer will later be pursued by its sire, who is a giant bat-winged skunk.

So there's no rhyme or reason to it at all; no tribes, no reason for the monsters to be there, nothing.  Its a menagerie of crap, and I'm sure its meant to be "weird fantasy" but I'd put it closer to "stupid fantasy".  The monsters serve no purpose, make no sense, in many cases what they do isn't even predictable (nor unpredictable in a good way; they just do things you wouldn't ever be able to expect for no reason at all).  

There are other notable, and equally stupid, features.  There are a number of hexes that contain magic statues of seemingly random characteristics, which have effects that also seem to have been chosen at random.  There are a number of hexes that have magic users, usually aggressive and with defenders, but there's not really any reason why they are there in most cases.  Likewise with a number of hexes that have clerics.  A tiny handful of towns are placed seemingly at random, and have no distinguishing characteristics.  The whole thing is unspeakably shoddy.

Think I'm exaggerating?  Let me give you an absolutely typical selection; I assure you this is par for the course, I chose them at random.  There are hundreds of hex descriptions and almost all are like this:

0806  This 200lb. white rabbit (ARMOR: as leather, HD 2, HP 8, Move 130', 1d6+1/claw) is immune to blunt weapons, and it attacks with its long claws on its front feet.  
(included in opposite page, a well-renditioned full colour picture of a rabbit with big front claws)

0407  A 6' tall roadrunner (ARMOR: as leather + shield, HD8, HP32, Move120', 1d6/beak, 1d4/tail) has glowing orange eyes which reduce its chance to surprise in the darkness to 1 in 6.  This monstrosity can travel upon walls and ceilings as swiftly as it can move on the ground.  It can project a 120' diameter circle of poison (16 points damage per round, save for half) up to 90' away.  The creature can also spit with a range of 20'.  Anyone hit by the spittle must make a saving throw or be stunned and unable to do anything for 1d8+1 rounds.

0609 Tulips of variegated colors bloom in profusion in a meadow roughly 300' in diameter.  When any human walks in the meadow, the stalks of the flowers bend toward the person, and a musical humming almost too soft to be heard emanates from the tulips.

0713 The delicate influence of the Enchantress of Petals, a 6th-level magic-user (ARMOR: none, HD 6, HP 10, Move 120'), keeps winter and autumn at bay in this secluded mountain vale.  Garbed in dresses made of flower petals, her fresh and tender beauty makes it impossible to attack her unless a saving throw is made at -3.  She can entice flowers of any sort to maturity in minutes, and she can make animated rose bushes with long thorns to both defend and attack (automatic 1d6 damage per round, no saving throw).
(note that at least here, unlike in some other selections of magic-users in the hexes, you get a title; though no name, motivation, alignment, purpose or point for the encounter)

0907  The people of this town (population 2600) often refer in awe to the Ice Wizard who is rumored to abide in the snowcapped mountains to the southwest (hex 0807).   Parents tell their misbehaving children "Be good, or the Ice Wizard will get you!"
(note that this entry is unusual because it is one of very few that refer to some other area; even so, we don't even get a name for the town, much less any other special features, or a map, or details on its contents!)

1101  This statue is of a long-haired woman with a long, billowing dress, all carved from pale blue crystal.  Those who gaze long at the statue will seem to hear a gentle susurrus, and will seem to see the statue's dress ripple.  If anyone attempts to harm the statue, a violent gust of wind will blow the person 30' away, doing 4d6 points of damage (save for half damage)

Anyways, you get the idea.

There's no organizations, no important NPCs (the mages, clerics, etc are all nameless).  There's no agendas or important events.  There are a tiny handful of cases where there's some connection made between one hex and another (the people of a town know about an ice wizard two hexes over, or a cleric in one hex wants to kill a monster in another hex).  There's no mention of lairs or treasures, no dungeon maps.  Even the hexmaps on the inside cover are of a featureless island with a hex-pattern overlaid, you can distinguish some area as brown and presumably mountainous, and the rest is green.  Its not a "fill in the blanks" kind of setting the way, say, Majestic Wilderlands (or any number of other settings) would be; the material here is too bizarre and frankly too useless to work well for that; it doesn't serve a purpose as inspiration for you to give it sense and structure. Instead, any attempt to create a coherent setting would be massively hampered, not helped, by the material in the book.

If I had to hazard a guess, if I didn't know better I would say "Isle of the Unknown" was written as insult propaganda; some anti-OSR fanatic from the Forge, writing a grotesque stereotype of how he imagines sandbox settings should work based on the dumbest prejudices of the most idiotic D&D games that were almost never run but exist more in the minds of those who hate that kind of game; and was then stunned to find that for some utterly inexplicable reason, James Raggi wanted to publish it.

I mean seriously, what the fuck has this McKinney guy have on Raggi?! What level of incriminating pictures does he possibly have that would compel Raggi to sell this drivel, and at such a high production value?

I mean LotFP has produced a few stinkers, a few dull books, and a few masterpieces, as well as one of the best OSR rule-sets in the business. But never anything like this before. There are meth-heads on street-corners with no gaming experience who could improv a better setting than this.

I give it two stars out of ten for the production value alone, but the content is unquestionably of negative worth. Its almost criminal that a book so pretty as a physical object could be so utterly fucking useless.

RPGPundit

(April 26, 2014)
LION & DRAGON: Medieval-Authentic OSR Roleplaying is available now! You only THINK you\'ve played \'medieval fantasy\' until you play L&D.

My Blog:  http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com/
The most famous uruguayan gaming blog on the planet!

NEW!
Check out my short OSR supplements series; The RPGPundit Presents!

Dark Albion: The Rose War! The OSR fantasy setting of the history that inspired Shakespeare and Martin alike.
Also available in Variant Cover form!
Also, now with the CULTS OF CHAOS cult-generation sourcebook

ARROWS OF INDRA
Arrows of Indra: The Old-School Epic Indian RPG!
NOW AVAILABLE: AoI in print form

LORDS OF OLYMPUS
The new Diceless RPG of multiversal power, adventure and intrigue, now available.

ThatChrisGuy

Man, I wish I had seen this review before I bought this turd.  This is easily one of the worst gaming books I ever paid money for.
I made a blog: Southern Style GURPS

Battle Mad Ronin

Quote from: ThatChrisGuy;832186Man, I wish I had seen this review before I bought this turd.  This is easily one of the worst gaming books I ever paid money for.

Tell me about it. LotFP seems mostly hit or miss to me, and this book misses by miles.

Daztur

From what I've heard a lot of the book's content reads like the results of random table rolls. That's not necessarily a bad thing, some old popular Traveler supplements had that IIRC as it saves you time being able to look up stuff then roll all the time but when that starts to feel like the bulk of the content then it seems like not that much content spread very thin.

Lots of other LotFP stuff is well-made puzzle dungeons and I don't like puzzle dungeons so that mostly leaves me with Zak S's stuff, although I should check out more of the new stuff for non-puzzle dungeons.

RPGPundit

There's some very good LotFP products out there, I've reviewed quite a lot of them, which you can see over in the reviews sub-forum.
LION & DRAGON: Medieval-Authentic OSR Roleplaying is available now! You only THINK you\'ve played \'medieval fantasy\' until you play L&D.

NEW!

Dark Albion: The Rose War! The OSR fantasy setting of the history that inspired Shakespeare and Martin alike.

ARROWS OF INDRA

LORDS OF OLYMPUS
The new Diceless RPG of multiversal power, adventure and intrigue, now available.

Spinachcat

I liked Carcosa and I was hit & miss on the Isle concept. It's not a coherent setting and I think Geoffrey went with the early Judges Guild idea of creating random bits for the GM to interpret. I am a fan of JG's Modron in its crude raw oddness that would never pass muster for a product in 2015. I suspect that was what Geoffrey imagined he was emulating with Isle.

Isle is interesting to me as a list of odd bits, but in 2015, I can get that blogs and forum posts so I don't know if buying a book of bits would be worth it.

I read a post last year about Geoffrey feeling he hid connections within the setting which the PCs and the GM puzzle out as they play. I have no idea if that comes through and I don't see the value in hiding stuff from the GM who I believe needs overview.

Quote from: RPGPundit;831344If you were like me you might have started with a hexmap (or graph paper, if you were really in a stretch), and then for each co-ordinate randomly determined the contents by using the "random monster by terrain" tables in the DMG, until you had a setting that made no fucking sense at all.

You and I differ here. FOR ME (and maybe nobody else) I greatly enough imagining the connections in the chaos. I absolutely love musing upon random weirdness and building the threads between them. FOR ME that's an essential element of my OD&D play.

Every year since Gary died, I roll up a random dungeon via the DMG random charts and my rule is this - all rolls stand and then, I interpret the why behind they make sense as I develop the story of the dungeon and the persona of those who built it and inhabit it.

FOR ME, the WTF moments created by randomness are key to what I perceive as Sword & Sorcery via OD&D.

RPGPundit

I prefer to use random tables as an aid to a front-loaded concept.  I find that works better in terms of coherence.

NEW!

ARROWS OF INDRA

LORDS OF OLYMPUS

Turanil

Quote from: RPGPundit;831344stunned to find that for some utterly inexplicable reason, James Raggi wanted to publish it.

I mean seriously, what the fuck has this McKinney guy have on Raggi?! What level of incriminating pictures does he possibly have that would compel Raggi to sell this drivel, and at such a high production value?
My **opinion** is that Raggi secretly, or even unconsciously hates fantasy RPGs. Most of the adventures he published are aimed at killing or humiliating the PCs, not rewarding them with wealth and XP. Then, some descriptions in the LofTP book suggests (at least I got that feeling) that the game is about horror and murder and that this is obviously bad. So, this module might be a perfect fit to subliminally remind that fantasy RPGs of murder-hobos is an awful pastime that express the darker parts of the human psyche.

Well it's just a guess of course.
FANTASTIC HEROES & WITCHERY
Get the free PDF of this OSR/OGL role-playing game, in the download section!
DARK ALBION: THE ROSE WAR
By RPGPundit, a 15th century fantasy England campaign setting for any OSR game!

ThatChrisGuy

Quote from: Turanil;833775My **opinion** is that Raggi secretly, or even unconsciously hates fantasy RPGs.

It's hardly a secret, and no one's that un-self aware.  He's making money by mocking his audience, which some filmmakers love to do and consistently pisses me off.

The only thing that makes me doubt that is that there really are some good books among the Lamentations supplements, really good ones.  It's a real shit-and-sugar series for me.

That Guy

I already have A Red and Pleasant Land, and I'm planning on picking up Scenic Dunsmouth and the new version of Death, Frost, Doom. What other LotFP books do people consider "must haves"?

RPGPundit

Quote from: ThatChrisGuy;833793It's hardly a secret, and no one's that un-self aware.  He's making money by mocking his audience, which some filmmakers love to do and consistently pisses me off.

The only thing that makes me doubt that is that there really are some good books among the Lamentations supplements, really good ones.  It's a real shit-and-sugar series for me.

There's hardly any, in fact, that are just mediocre.  They're all either really shitty or quite great.

NEW!

ARROWS OF INDRA

LORDS OF OLYMPUS

AxesnOrcs

Quote from: That Guy;833915I already have A Red and Pleasant Land, and I'm planning on picking up Scenic Dunsmouth and the new version of Death, Frost, Doom. What other LotFP books do people consider "must haves"?

I dig Tower of the Stargazer. It's one of my favorite intro/low-level modules.

RPGPundit

Better Than Any Man was probably one of the best things they ever published.

NEW!

ARROWS OF INDRA

LORDS OF OLYMPUS

Battle Mad Ronin

Quote from: That Guy;833915I already have A Red and Pleasant Land, and I'm planning on picking up Scenic Dunsmouth and the new version of Death, Frost, Doom. What other LotFP books do people consider "must haves"?

Ohh, 'A Red and Pleasant Land' might be my favorite setting supplement ever.

'Vornheim' is good, a really well done city-building kit that is choke-full of strange and brilliant ideas.

'Better Than Any Man' seconded - great scenario, lots of nice setting info. It's split between intrigues among witches in a town, a really amazingly well done idea, and some dungeon stuff involving a cult and a mad wizard - the 'bad' part of the adventure IMO, but it's worth it for the 1600s setting, random encounters and the city description alone. And it's free.

'No Salvation for Witches' is another good scenario, with some witches (again!) taking over a monastery. Fantastic stuff, lots of good ideas and encounters that would make good adventures in themselves.

'Forgive Us' is a small scenario inspired by 'The Thing' set in Norwich. Good info on the setting of enlightenment Norwich and lots of good locations with maps, usable for other adventures too.

'Qelong' is a setting and adventure book set in a semi-Cambodian/South-East Asian fantasy land. Tons of evocative descriptions and a full, flavored world of alien fantasy. It really goes beyond words how good the setting is. Written by Ken(neth?) Hite, one of my own favorite RPG authors.

'Magnificent Joop Van Ooms' is centered around an interesting NPC and his entourage. Has some good info on using Amsterdam circa 1630s as a setting, weird ideas for very different magic items.

'The Pale Lady' is a short and sweet scenario involving a fey. Alice in Wonderland levels of bizarre, one of the best uses of "folk-tale" faeries I've seen in an RPG.

Things to avoid:
'Monolith from Beyond Space and Time' - random shit happens and the whole party will probably die. Great scenario idea guys!
'Doom Cave of the Crystal Headed Children' - a scenario made solely to disprove that LotFP scenarios involve killing children and prove that LotFP is hardcore enough to let the players kill children. Or something, I never quite got the point. Also a strange dungeon where arbitrary shit happens and the players will die for no real reason.
'The Grinding Gear', 'Death Frost Doom' and 'The Three Brides'. The two first are scenarios that have inexplicably gotten a lot of praise, to me they are just random events and mean traps. 'The Three Brides' calls itself a scenario book, but the actual scenarios are so sparse and lazily done that I wouldn't consider them worthy of the title 'adventures'.
'The God That Crawls' - another scenario/dungeon crawl, where the story behind the scenario is actually not bad but weirdly never comes into play. Full of poor ideas and design choices. If memory serves it has a monster with 400 attacks, as one example.
'Carcosa' - if magic rituals involving multiple rape and murder of children wasn't enough to turn you off it's poorly written and has no real depth either!

ThatChrisGuy

Quote from: Battle Mad Ronin;834041Things to avoid:

I'd add The Seclusium of Orphone of the Three Visions  to that list.  Poorly organized, filled with meaningless jargon, and with maybe one good idea or two buried in a pile of crap.  Might be useful as kindling but sticks are cheaper.