SPECIAL NOTICE
Malicious code was found on the site, which has been removed, but would have been able to access files and the database, revealing email addresses, posts, and encoded passwords (which would need to be decoded). However, there is no direct evidence that any such activity occurred. REGARDLESS, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. And as is good practice, remember to never use the same password on more than one site. While performing housekeeping, we also decided to upgrade the forums.
This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Challenge Magazine Returns! sort of

Started by SionEwig, January 14, 2011, 11:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SionEwig

Got this from a mailing list and thought that there might be people here who were interested.

QuoteChallenge Magazine Returns! CHALLENGE: OPEN CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

Do you play or referee any Games Designer Workshop RPGs or their descendants?

Ever write good sci-fi short stories?

Or create great visual sci-fi art?

The legendary CHALLENGE MAGAZINE is returning for a special one-off issue (which will make it C78 ), to celebrate the release of the CD-rom back catalog of Challenge magazines and to pay back all those loyal fans who collected, and still collect, THE magazine of science fiction gaming.

If successful, it will go back into regular publication.

We're looking for submissions for the following games:

Traveller

2300AD

Space 1889

Dark Conspiracy

Twilight:2000

We want to cover all the licensed eras and versions; other games, systems & settings may be covered in possible future issues. This WILL also include sci-fi roleplaying using the BRP & Call of Cthulhu systems.

Scenarios should be around the 4,000 - 8,000 word limit and include game stats. Articles should be around 700-1400 word limit. Art should conform to 1/4, 1/2, and full page (US Letter size - 8.5"x11"@300DPI), in TIF, AI, PSD, or PNG format.

ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST be approved in principle before work commences. Any links to current work on the web is a bonus. If you haven't seen Challenge but you like the games and want to submit you can find back issues at Drive-Thru RPG.

This issue will retail for a small amount to say thanks to the legion of fans who have supported Challenge magazine in the past. As such there is likely to be little reward other than a sense of pride, making a few contacts, and a justifiable sense of achievement in having YOUR work in this the special commemorative issue of Challenge Magazine.
Not to mention the enormous gratitude of everyone here involved in the project.

We're asking you to step up and submit something voluntarily. At this stage there is NO remuneration.
This situation MAY change if the magazine is a success but we at Planetary Assault Group don't make false promises so we're asking you to dig deep and do it for the love of the games like we are.

With the blessing of Marc Miller and with some august names on board we're confident it will be a success....

Want in?

Contact us at: planetaryassaultgroup@gmail.com with your submission idea, comments, or if you wish to advertise.

Please refer to your submission in the subject line of the e-mail by stating succinctly the game setting (such as Traveller or 2300AD), the style of submission (such as scenario, fiction, or article), and your name. For example, a 2300AD scenario submission would look like this: 2300AD/scenario/Mr.John Doe.

Thanks for reading and we hope to hear from you!

Steff.J. Worthington
Editor.
Planetary Assault Group

RPGPundit

who the fuck are these guys?

RPGPundit
LION & DRAGON: Medieval-Authentic OSR Roleplaying is available now! You only THINK you\'ve played \'medieval fantasy\' until you play L&D.

My Blog:  http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com/
The most famous uruguayan gaming blog on the planet!

NEW!
Check out my short OSR supplements series; The RPGPundit Presents!

Dark Albion: The Rose War! The OSR fantasy setting of the history that inspired Shakespeare and Martin alike.
Also available in Variant Cover form!
Also, now with the CULTS OF CHAOS cult-generation sourcebook

ARROWS OF INDRA
Arrows of Indra: The Old-School Epic Indian RPG!
NOW AVAILABLE: AoI in print form

LORDS OF OLYMPUS
The new Diceless RPG of multiversal power, adventure and intrigue, now available.

David Johansen

hmmm...Traveller / GDW fans with some connection to Marc Miller I'd presume.  It would be nice to see an ongoing return of Challenge as a web zine.
Fantasy Adventure Comic, games, and more http://www.uncouthsavage.com

steffworthington

Hi guys,

In answer to your rather direct question ;) I'm a graphic designer and writer and I've teamed up with a member of the Spica Publishing team, Marc Miller, Loren Wiseman, Colin Dunn & others to resurrect Challenge magazine for a commemorative issue 78 to coincide with the release of the Challenge back catalogue on CD from FFE. If sales are good and we can keep our overheads low there will be more issues.

It will primarily deal with the titles formally associated with GDW but also with others such as Cthulhu Rising, Blue Planet & Fading Suns.

Feel free to submit any article or scenario you have.

Steff. J. Worthington

Seanchai

"Thus tens of children were left holding the bag. And it was a bag bereft of both Hellscream and allowance money."

MySpace Profile
Facebook Profile

jeff37923

"Meh."

Silverlion

Nice they're supporting things, but they should expand a bit.
High Valor REVISED: A fantasy Dark Age RPG. Available NOW!
Hearts & Souls 2E Coming in 2019

steffworthington

Quote from: Silverlion;440077Nice they're supporting things, but they should expand a bit.

Expand as in 'tell us more about the issue' or as in 'cover more games'?

We're expecting material from the new publishers of Dark Conspiracy (3Hombres).
In this issue we're also expecting 2300AD material, Traveller fiction, a Space:1889 mini-setting and a Cthulhu Rising scenario.

:)

Simlasa

I'd heard this was coming and earlier today I was wondering what the news on it was.
Excited to get a hold of the first issue and give it a look.

estar

Quote from: steffworthington;440022In answer to your rather direct question ;) I'm a graphic designer and writer and I've teamed up with a member of the Spica Publishing team, Marc Miller, Loren Wiseman, Colin Dunn & others to resurrect Challenge magazine for a commemorative issue 78 to coincide with the release of the Challenge back catalogue on CD from FFE. If sales are good and we can keep our overheads low there will be more issues.

I hope you guys do well. What rights are you asking for in accepting submissions?

crkrueger

Quote from: steffworthington;440261Expand as in 'tell us more about the issue' or as in 'cover more games'?

We're expecting material from the new publishers of Dark Conspiracy (3Hombres).
In this issue we're also expecting 2300AD material, Traveller fiction, a Space:1889 mini-setting and a Cthulhu Rising scenario.

:)
Probably cover more games, "Sci-Fi Gaming" has come a long way since Challenge 77.  I see you're accepting Blue Planet and Fading Suns as well as Cthulhu which is awesome, but there's also

Starblazer Adventures
Diaspora
Eclipse Phase
Thousand Suns
Stars Without Number (this game definitely deserves to be in the magazine)
Even the the "cutting edge" storygamers for all their talk of narrative, plot, and drama are fucking obsessed with the god damned rules they use. - Estar

Yes, Sean Connery\'s thumb does indeed do megadamage. - Spinachcat

Isuldur is a badass because he stopped Sauron with a broken sword, but Iluvatar is the badass because he stopped Sauron with a hobbit. -Malleus Arianorum

"Tangency Edition" D&D would have no classes or races, but 17 genders to choose from. -TristramEvans